Type keyword(s) to search

Fashion Police - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Melissa needs to lay off the cosmetic surgery. Her face is puffy and her eyes are barely open.

I just happened to turn this on last night and couldn't believe Melissa's face.   Could she be on cortisone/steroid treatments for something? That is way beyond just plastic surgery. Her face is twice as wide as it used to be. 

• Love 2

Giuliana looked like she overdid the tanning, especially on her face.  Reminded me of the "King of Queens" episode where Carrie had a tanning cream addiction.

• Love 3
On 5/24/2016 at 7:43 AM, teddysmom said:

I just happened to turn this on last night and couldn't believe Melissa's face.   Could she be on cortisone/steroid treatments for something? That is way beyond just plastic surgery. Her face is twice as wide as it used to be. 

I stare in utter fascination. I've read about body dysmorphia, but do people actually think they look better after being stretched/numbed/embalmed/injected with plastic? It killed Joan.

Melissa looks terrible!  She has very small eyes which is unfortunate and the under eye filler is making them look even smaller.  She has filler in her face everywhere!   Surely there is someone out there that could style her better with  hair, make up and clothes to distract from this.  Wow, just wow.  

She used to be pretty cute.

melissa-rivers-plastic-surgery.jpg

Giuliana looked like she overdid the tanning, especially on her face.

It was beyond ridiculous. She was sitting between two black women and her skin was the same tone. It looks so fake.

I hated her top with the big pointy shoulders, too. What the heck was that? I hate it when the Fashion Police look like ass.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, IvySpice said:

It was beyond ridiculous. She was sitting between two black women and her skin was the same tone. It looks so fake.

I hated her top with the big pointy shoulders, too. What the heck was that? I hate it when the Fashion Police look like ass.

Giuliana is like a parody of a human being and has been for a long time.

I know she's played that off as people bullying her in the past, but then she goes and does stuff like self-tan herself into jerky, so it's more than just skinny shaming.

• Love 3
(edited)
On 5/26/2016 at 0:05 PM, wings707 said:

Melissa looks terrible!  She has very small eyes which is unfortunate and the under eye filler is making them look even smaller.  She has filler in her face everywhere!   Surely there is someone out there that could style her better with  hair, make up and clothes to distract from this.  Wow, just wow.  

She used to be pretty cute.

melissa-rivers-plastic-surgery.jpg

I can't see what that proves though. If she DID look the same 15 years later, that would be more of a point that something was going on. But she's got too much makeup and plucked/sculpted eyebrows, bags under her eyes, deeper mouth and chin lines, etc.  Arguably she should have some forehead lines too, so maybe she HAS had some fillers there, but the fact that she still has that Joker Smile, the lines around her mouth but deeper, the same pointy chin, a nose that if anything is even more pointy, and now looks slightly bent (she's either had it broken, or that's just a really bad camera angle) seems to argue she hasn't had anything too serious done.

So yeah, she looks not so great, I agree. But I think that's a combo of too much makeup, and 15 more years on a face that once was youthful, but was never really more than just cute at most.

Edited by Kromm
16 minutes ago, Kromm said:

I can't see what that proves though. If she DID look the same 15 years later, that would be more of a point that something was going on. But she's got too much makeup and plucked/sculpted eyebrows, bags under her eyes, deeper mouth and chin lines, etc.  Arguably she should have some forehead lines too, so maybe she HAS had some fillers there, but the fact that she still has that Joker Smile, the lines around her mouth but deeper, the same pointy chin, a nose that if anything is even more pointy, and now looks slightly bent (she's either had it broken, or that's just a really bad camera angle) seems to argue she hasn't had anything too serious done.

So yeah, she looks not so great, I agree. But I think that's a combo of too much makeup, and 15 more years on a face that once was youthful, but was never really more than just cute at most.

Had she done a few minor procedures to tuck skin that may be sagging and causing some deeper furrows in her face she would look much different and better, now.  The fillers under her eye have taken away natural contours and given her doll face.  I can look at her pic taken in 2008 and easily progress that in my mind, without fillers.  I like her smile.  

(edited)

This is the first Fashion Police I have watched since Joan Passed. Melissa's face shocked me. They have way too many people on the panel. If you have 5 regulars discussing fashion you don't need to squeeze in a guest. Are all their guest basically useless like the young lady promoting that was promoting her web series? They need to start all over with a whole new cast or just let it go.

Edited by Sparger Springs
  • Love 1

Watching the VMAs show.  One question - what the hell is Melissa wearing?  No, really.  She is wearing a sequined bow applique in pink and blue with weird sparkled pleated sleeves.  Why?  Why does this exist?  And why would she wear it when trashing what other people are wearing.  Okay, that was more than one question. 

• Love 7

I hardly ever remember to watch this show, but did last night.  Agree on Melissa's outfit.  It looked like something a cartoon character would wear.  And what was with her hair -- the ponytail in back and two flaps of hair on either side of her face?? 

Melissa did need to get called out on the carpet for her look, that dress was absurd! Also, I'm dismayed as to why her face needed more work, she's getting that "entirely made of plastic look" that her mother had.

• Love 2

Is Brad afraid to approach her on her look?  The dress was horrific and her hair even worse.  She has fillers under her eyes excentuating  their small size.  Too many people not enough looks. 

Brad, Melissa, Guiliana, and Nene are a good team.  Axe Margaret, she just tosses out canned jokes that fall flat and skip the guest. 

I didn't enjoy that at all.  

This show does not even warrant full sentences! 

Edited by wings707
  • Love 3

The horrible outfit that Melissa has on is actually a dress. It looks like the hem has small blue pleats. Something a toddler would wear. Melissa's hair looks terrible. 

Guiliana looks awfully thin. 

Margaret ruins this show for me. I would like to see her switched out with Tim Gunn or Kimora Lee Simmons. 

I agree with Brad. See-through looks are overdone. 

• Love 3

I believe that dress Melissa wore was a Gucci. I made sure to watch the credits to see who was responsible for that horror. Yes. She looked just terrible. I hated her hair and her face looked puffy and overly taut or something. I loved her look back in the day when she was still behind the camera in casual clothes, her long dark hair down and subdued makeup. She was pretty attractive in a non-flashy way. I'm sure that was so she wouldn't detract from Mom.

It's kind of sad when I thought that Nene looked the best of all of the panel. Guilana's eyebrows were way too dark.

E! really needed to just pull the plug on this show when Joan passed away.

Margaret Cho:  As they saying goes. you can put lipstick on a pig...   And she cannot walk in those shoes; give her back her workboots

Nene:  Seriously, fashion critique from a hood rat former stripper the size of a moose?!

Rancic: EAT A SANDWICH

Melissa:  Step back from the needles.

Brad:  Only bearable panelist.

• Love 2

I tend to love Brad, he's witty, and always truthful without being overly nasty. Rancic is desperately hanging onto her fame and this job (not sure why), and why do we need Nene again? I'd even keep Margaret (gasp).

Disappointed there weren't more fashions spotlighted, I really wanted to see Kirstin Dunst again, everything about her look was stunning.

I love that Brad described the dresses in the Lightning round and Margaret Cho was a good catcher for him. Giuliani couldn't even describe the celebrity and Nene certainly didn't know who she was talking about.

The problem with  Fasion Police is the format is the same as if it were still on weekly and needed guests and games to fill an hour every week. Way back in the beginning when Joan and Leon Hall were writing best and worst dressed on a whiteboard because there was no budget, we saw and critiqued everyone. They had special segments devoted to couples, hair and makeup, dress color groupings, etc.  Back to the basics!

• Love 8
On 9/20/2016 at 4:43 PM, chitowngirl said:

I love that Brad described the dresses in the Lightning round and Margaret Cho was a good catcher for him. Giuliani couldn't even describe the celebrity and Nene certainly didn't know who she was talking about.

The problem with  Fashion Police is the format is the same as if it were still on weekly and needed guests and games to fill an hour every week. Way back in the beginning when Joan and Leon Hall were writing best and worst dressed on a whiteboard because there was no budget, we saw and critiqued everyone. They had special segments devoted to couples, hair and makeup, dress color groupings, etc.  Back to the basics!

Amen!  I completely agree with this.  I don't need the games.  Show me more of the fashion.
I was quite disappointed that they didn't mention Priyanka Chopra's gorgeous red dress, which I loved and was much mentioned on several websites.  Even if they had picked her apart, it should have been reviewed.  Likewise, when they were discussing the yellow dresses (Taraji P. Henson, Ellie Kemper and Angela Bassett) I was shocked that they didn't include Minnie Driver's, which I thought was the best yellow of the evening.  Way back when, we used to see everyone. They didn't even talk about the men's fashion.  I loved Rami Malek's look.   They also needed to discuss Terrence Howard, and not in a good way!
The show has become a huge disappointment for anyone who's actually interested in seeing fashion.  

• Love 6

I spend the whole time watching asking myself why the hell I am watching.  Nene is useless. Melissa could be okay as a moderator.  Giuliana is useless.  Margaret is painful and useless.  Only Brad has an opinion worth listening to.  If they are going to keep this show going, they should dump most of the panel and, as many of you have said, get back to the basics.  There were so many looks we didn't see.

Oh and whoever let Nene go on dressed like that should either be fired for making her look a fool or promoted for fostering the irony of a woman in a too tight shirt that warped her breasts and an ill-fitting, unflattering skirt critiquing fashion.  She is a hot mess.   

• Love 4

They need to get rid of Margaret and Nene. Neither one knows a thing about fashion. Yes, Joan used to make vulgar jokes, but she also knew about fashion and could comment intelligently about it. Nene just says I like or it not with nothing behind it. Not saying Guiliana adds much, but she is around fashion and fashion designers so she has some knowledge. I don't mind Melissa. I hate it that they get through so few looks. They need to have only three people (with maybe a fourth for a small part of the show) and be much faster on why they like or don't like something. i don't need 15 minutes on why they don't like an obviously ugly gown, just move on. 

• Love 2
46 minutes ago, Madding crowd said:

They need to get rid of Margaret and Nene. Neither one knows a thing about fashion. Yes, Joan used to make vulgar jokes, but she also knew about fashion and could comment intelligently about it. Nene just says I like or it not with nothing behind it. Not saying Guiliana adds much, but she is around fashion and fashion designers so she has some knowledge. I don't mind Melissa. I hate it that they get through so few looks. They need to have only three people (with maybe a fourth for a small part of the show) and be much faster on why they like or don't like something. i don't need 15 minutes on why they don't like an obviously ugly gown, just move on. 

This is SO true.  How much time did they waste discussing Anna Chlumsky's horrible gown?  Much more time was needlessly wasted on that mess (the gown, not Anna.  She's delightful.)  than on any of the others.  

Unpopular opinion I guess, but I like Giuliana.  I think she still brings something to the table.  If it were up to me, it would just be Melissa, Brad and Giuliana on the panel.  As you mentioned, if they want to bring in a fourth guest for a small portion of the program, I'm OK with that too.  And although I do like Brad, I miss George. :(

• Love 3

Yeah, I maybe can handle Margaret and Nene as guests; but in a show that desperately needs streamlining (to make room for fashion), they're expendable.

Maybe my memory is going, or I'm getting crabbier in my old age, but Margaret's jokes were both unfunny and really shoehorned in - punchlines waiting for a place to land, whether or not they fit. 

Nene doesn't bug me as much as she does others.   Her comments at least feel spontaneous and in context. But I absolutely get why she aggravates so many. I would gladly vote to dump to free up time for discussion of more looks or for fashion-informed guests.

Edited by RealityCowgirl
One com a too

On the off chance the powers that be read this stuff, please get rid of Margaret and Nene, and and I cosign all of the above suggestions about covering more fashion and going back to the old format.  I'd much rather see them cover couples and men's fashion than the stupid games they play.  Who is running this show, and why are they screwing it up so badly?

Edited by tobeannounced
  • Love 10

I agree with others that the show needs to be streamlined so that we can see more fashion.  I enjoyed having Tim Gunn on the panel and agreed with his perspective regarding vulgarity in lieu of fashion.

I also agree that the show should get rid of Margaret and Nene.  Joan could tell shocking jokes about celebrities and I found them funny; Margaret's jokes often seem out of place (as mentioned by others) and Nene just seems uninformed.

• Love 9

Maybe my memory is going, or I'm getting crabbier in my old age, but Margaret's jokes were both unfunny and really shoehorned in - punchlines waiting for a place to land, whether or not they fit. 

Yes! It reminds me of Dennis Miller's stuff on his short-lived Monday Night Football run.

I doubt if the audience even NEEDS jokes...especially old, canned, tired, and FORCED jokes.   We'd like to see as many fashions as possible and these "experts" just ain't cuttin' it.   Maybe someone on another network should start a fashion commentary show with some CLASS!   Now that I think of it, a two-man team of Tim Gunn and Brad would be just about perfect.  They're both talented and interesting...and because of their ages, bring different perspectives.  Perhaps one "relative" guest could be on each show.

Edited by Former Nun
  • Love 5
15 hours ago, Former Nun said:

I doubt if the audience even NEEDS jokes...especially old, canned, tired, and FORCED jokes.   We'd like to see as many fashions as possible and these "experts" just ain't cuttin' it.   Maybe someone on another network should start a fashion commentary show with some CLASS!   Now that I think of it, a two-man team of Tim Gunn and Brad would be just about perfect.  They're both talented and interesting...and because of their ages, bring different perspectives.  Perhaps one "relative" guest could be on each show.

That sounds perfect!

I want some humor but not scripted shoe-horned in jokes.  There are naturally funny people who can do commentary that makes you laugh  without trying desperately to fit whatever supposedly witty comment in regardless of whether or not it fits. This show comes off as desperate.   

• Love 4

The show last night was pretty good. Seems Margaret has been told to back it down a bit.  Melissa is witty and it showed. 

They played one game and I like this one. 

A drop in ratings might have forced them to make some changes. The seating arrangement has changed and I assume that has to do with Brads chemistry being better with Nene than Margaret .  They do play off each other well. 

• Love 1

I think Heidi purposefully wears horrible outfits in order to ensure that she is talked about.  Otherwise, there are far more interesting people and fashions to talk about.

I'm still dissatisfied with how few fashions and people they cover.  I think that instead of hearing from all 5 panelists, they should just hear from 3 for each item and just alternate who analyzes which outfits.  I still don't know why Nene is there...

• Love 4

Yes! TOOOOO much time devoted to how obsessed they are with something, I think one outfit tends to last five minutes. I don't need to see the same camera shots over and over, critique it and move the hell on!

• Love 2
On 10/2/2016 at 8:51 AM, chitowngirl said:

When the TV Guide channel existed, they used to do a Fashion Wrapup type show after award shows. I don't remember who hosted it, but they would zip through dresses and show 2 or 3x as many fashions.

Wasn't it none other than Joan and Melissa Rivers?

Count me vehemently in on the concept of having Tim Gunn host a show where vulgarity is not considered cool or mistaken for fashion. I love him.  He can be very witty too.  

I agree that Margaret and Nene need to go, and they can chuck Guilliana too. Please please PLEASE get back to basics and cover jewelry, hair, makeup, and ALL the fashion!  For the past two years I look forward to reviews of certain dresses, only to have them ignored or totally skimmed over in favor of another vagina joke.  I also wish they would bring back the actual worst and best dressed nominees throughout the show, instead of just at the end.  That way, the best dressed gals who weren't number 1 got sort of an honorable mention, and it was fun when one person's best dressed nominee was protested by the others who proclaimed it should be a worst dressed nominee.  And finally, they only seem to cover the most famous people.  Once in awhile one of the wives, girlfriends, or "B" list actresses actually has a dress that is more stunning than whatever the Fashion Police are all fawning over. I don't mean that they should do worst dress for the non-famous -- that would just be mean. Instead, bring back fun, fashion, and taste!

Edited by Cowgirl
  • Love 8

Just watched the Golden Globe episode.

Difficult to believe the editors leave some of the trash Nene and Margaret say in the final cut.  IMHO it really hurts the show, but the powers that be must think it attracts viewers. 

• Love 3
13 hours ago, ProudMary said:

The "mouth off" skit with the mouth guards was a new low for a show that has been dropping for a long time.  I actually felt embarrassed for them.  

Yes, that was dreadful and a huge waste of time.

Guiliana's shoulders looked dangerously sharp in her outfit last night. Nene is only tolerable in relation to Margaret's over-the-top non-stop shtick. I actually like Margaret Cho but really noticed last night how hard she works to shoehorn in "witty" inappropriate comments rather than actual fashion critique. Hard to believe I miss Kelly Osbourne. Too bad they kept Skeletor instead of Kelly.

• Love 5
7 minutes ago, jcbrown said:

Yes, that was dreadful and a huge waste of time.

Guiliana's shoulders looked dangerously sharp in her outfit last night. Nene is only tolerable in relation to Margaret's over-the-top non-stop shtick. I actually like Margaret Cho but really noticed last night how hard she works to shoehorn in "witty" inappropriate comments rather than actual fashion critique. Hard to believe I miss Kelly Osbourne. Too bad they kept Skeletor instead of Kelly.

Agree on both counts. Too much time wasted saying nothing more informative than Kelly's go-to "bee-u-ti-ful" and equally lame phrases. Looking in particular at you, NeNe, and that "Star A, we need to talk" you had going on last night.

And the mouth guard thing was wrong  on so many counts.

• Love 2

Gahhhh!!!!  I renew my plea to ditch Margaret and NeNe and replace Brad with Tim Gunn.  I wouldn't mind getting rid of Juliana as well, but at least she's more tolerable than the others. That mouth guard game was too much. I was so ticked off when they used one of the more interesting gowns of the night in that bit -- I would have liked to have heard some cogent discussion of Hailey Steinfeld's lavender gown.  

Please E! Fix this show!!  More fashion commentary and less tackiness. More tasteful commentators with knowledge of design!!

• Love 6

I just watched this and I ditto the other comments. Margaret's ill-timed vagina and bathroom humor jokes are terrible and really detract from what has already become mediocre at best. However, I noticed more than once that the rest of the group shut her down by either not responding or shooting a look-that-could-kill.  They need to get rid of her. Nene is irritating in a different way.  She's only slightly more tolerable than Margaret and I wouldn't miss her.

Maybe I am in the minority, but I actually thought Melissa looked a lot better than usual. The simple black dress and more subtle makeup and hair worked. The host's attired shouldn't detract from the *content.*

I appreciated that they worked the best- and worst-dressed in before the close of the show. My DVR usually cuts off when there's a minute or two left, due to wonky timing of E! News.

ITA about the stupid mouthpiece gig. That was ridiculous. I also wanted to hear what they had to say about Kirstin Wiig and Hailee Steinfeld.

• Love 4