Type keyword(s) to search

Fashion Police - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Two names being mentioned are Khloe Kardashian and NeNe.  How much more of the Kartrashians can the viewing public take?  And NeNe?  That girl is so full of herself that I fast forward her scenes in HWs of Atlanta.  If either of these two join the show, I won't be watching.

• Love 4

Ah, crap. I liked Kelly and her lavender hair. She had her own opinions and didn't just follow whatever the others thought. I definitely won't watch if there's even the faintest taint of Kardashian.

• Love 1

I think one of G's problems is that her contract is up with E! soon and with Maria M. biting at her heels,  she just doesn't GAS.  I do think she is anorexic, as well.

Before this controversy started, I commented to my fam and friends that this show is not the same as before.  Everyone, except for G, was afraid to express their real feelings on dresses that were clearly ugly because they don't want to offend their friends.  Or in Kathy's case, I think she really gets a kick out of the ugly dresses.  If you can give an unbiased opinion, get off the show, now.

(edited)

A good replacement for Kelly would be someone actually in the fashion biz, not one of the pseudo celebrities (Kardashians, housewives, professional gossips, etc) and PLEASE NOT ZANNA ROBERTS!! That woman can't even dress herself. I wouldn't mind seeing that woman who use to be married to Russell Simmons, Kimora? I saw her on FP once and she was pretty good. Of course, she is kind of a reality star herself, but she does seem to know something at least about fashion plus she would give the show a bit of diversity. I don't know if her and Kathy would butt heads though. I can't Kimora taking 2nd chair to anyone.

Edited by kat165
  • Love 1

I've watched Fashion Police off and on over the years as a guilty pleasure. I hadn't tuned into the new season, but finally watched the latest, controversial one.

The whole show seemed forced and there was a strange vibe between all the hosts, like they were each trying to be the center of attention. Joan had always been the clear alpha female, but Kathy seemed to struggle a bit with that.  I also realized that each of them has had their own reality show at some point in the past.

If you watch the whole segment involving Zendaya, Kelly is laughing her head off when KG basically says she's a nobody. At the end of the segment when they go to commercial, Kelly is still laughing, clapping, and holding onto Guiliana's hand like she was her best friend. What happened between taping and that twitter rant? As others have said, don't let the door hit you on the way out.

If E! replaces her with a Kardashian, however, I will never watch that channel again. You live by the Kardashian, you die by the Kardashian. They are the ebola of television-deadly, hard to kill, and if you're not careful, they spread.

Oh, and Brad can do no wrong. He's the only reason I may continue to watch.

• Love 3
(edited)

I know she looks white (actually, arguably even more so... Hispanic--although I don't believe she's actually got any of that in her ancestry), but Zendaya is multiracial and self-identifies as black.

I'm confused.  Zendaya doesn't look white to me.  She looks like a light skinned black girl.  We do exist you know.  

My problem with Zenday's dreads was, they were wearing her; she's a thin girl and the dreads looked too heavy for her.  

And I didn't even know Cindy Adams was still alive. I thought she was ancient in the 90's.  

Edited by Neurochick
  • Love 2

I'm confused.  Zendaya doesn't look white to me.  She looks like a light skinned black girl.  We do exist you know.  

I think this is my fault, my original comment was poking fun at actual white kids who wear dreads, not at Zendaya. I think some thought I was making fun of Zendaya and thought she was white. I don't think that.

• Love 1

I didn't understand why Kelly came off so offended about the whole Zendaya incident on Twitter when she didn't seem that way on the show itself. She was laughing along with the jokes so as I mentioned in a post above, I just think she took this backlash as an opportunity to leave Fashion Police.

Out of all the Kardashians, Khloe is the most bearable to me. I don't mind her when she's on those E! After Party shows after award shows, but I wouldn't like her on Fashion Police. I definitely think they can get someone better.

• Love 1

Out of all the Kardashians, Khloe is the most bearable to me. I don't mind her when she's on those E! After Party shows after award shows, but I wouldn't like her on Fashion Police. I definitely think they can get someone better.

Yes, I agree. During the Oscar pre-show stuff, she was there with Kelly and Giuliana and looked reeealllllly uncomfortable on-camera. Stiff with a plastered smile on her face -- and she hardly said anything. I think she's comfortable doing her reality show stuff, but she's not particularly comfortable in a hosting capacity.

My vote is for RuPaul.

• Love 2

I can't stand Brad. His "vocal fry" crap and the way he talks like a teenage girl drive me crazy.

I remember seeing him in a commercial for his Bravo show and he sounded ridiculous saying "hash tag...fabulous".

He's a man in his 30s (I assume) but has the vocabulary of a 13 year old girl.

• Love 1

Kathy Griffin posted something -- it looks like a copy of a press release or "statement" of some sort -- on her Facebook page about 30 minutes ago that indicates that she is definitely gone from Fashion Police.  I thought that the new "season" of this show was supposed to be 17 episodes (and we've had 7 of those so far), and yet everyone is bailing after the Oscars show.  I wonder if this was planned -- "Let's just make it through the Oscars and then we can leave."

In any case, Giuliana was probably the one who wanted to leave most, because she has other things she wants to do.  Now, she may be the one who is forced to stay for the remaining 10 episodes of FP, just for continuity.  Wasn't there supposed to be a FP episode this month (from an I Heart Radio event)?  I mean, George is gone.  Kelly is gone.  Joan is gone (forever).  Kathy is now gone.  Ryan Seacrest has even been trying to get out of doing red carpet arrival shows, but he was convinced to stay on for this past awards season. 

The ship is really sinking at Fashion Police, and it's too bad because I definitely think there is a 'need' (for lack of a better word) for that type of show.

• Love 1

I saw something the other day where Kathy said she wouldn't have done the Zendaya joke.  She apparently has forgotten she was the one who made the weed comment first.  I'm wondering if that caused some more drama with G behind the scenes.

• Love 4

Kathy Griffin posted something -- it looks like a copy of a press release or "statement" of some sort -- on her Facebook page about 30 minutes ago that indicates that she is definitely gone from Fashion Police.  I thought that the new "season" of this show was supposed to be 17 episodes (and we've had 7 of those so far), and yet everyone is bailing after the Oscars show.  I wonder if this was planned -- "Let's just make it through the Oscars and then we can leave."

Kathy allegedly lobbied for the job so hard, if that witch Cindy Adams is to be believed, that it would be odd if she ever had any intention of leaving--if she is now it's a result of course, not a plan.  Even if Adams is a lying liar who lies (probably) and Kathy wasn't practically hanging over Joan's grave asking about taking the job, nevertheless, it did seem like she wanted the job.  

What isn't clear is what's on Melissa's mind lately, I guess.  She was vocal about the show earlier in the year, but since the whole Zendayagate have we heard ANYTHING from her?    Has she even been on the set of these episodes (as we know she was, just off-camera, during the Joan days)?  Or is she just a name loosely attached now, while other people are doing it?

The response from E!

http://www.eonline.com/shows/fashion_police/news/635248/kathy-griffin-leaving-e-s-fashion-police-after-7-episodes

"We can confirm that Kathy Griffin is leaving E!'s Fashion Police," the network said in a statement Thursday. "We wish her all the best and are grateful for her time on the show, as well as the many laughs that she gave us all. Fashion Police will return, as scheduled, on Monday, March 30, at 9 p.m. with our talented co-hosts Giuliana Rancic and Brad Goreski, and executive producer Melissa Rivers.
"No further information is available at this time."

Are E! and NBC in the same ownership group? A poster on another board I read suggested Tara Lipinski & Johnny Weir as a possibility. I would watch that! They make me giggle.

Edited by pamster
  • Love 2

It was just announced that Melissa will sit on the panel next week.  And who knows, maybe more.  She is the executive producer so her job is key.  I think, the network E!, has the bigger voice, though.  

It seems like this ship is sinking but since E! programming is mostly the Kardashians, they have a huge incentive to save this show to keep some variety in their lineup!  It got good ratings.

I think this will go back to the drawing board after this season and rise again with or without Melissa.  We will see a bunch of guests fill the seats to make it through this season in a hunt for new blood.  

I hope they can reinvent this show because I found the whole concept with Joan Rivers unwatchable.  It seemed like they were going for the same feel by just plugging Kathy in.  But I really want a show that discusses celebrity fashion, so I hope they can just scrap it and start from scratch

• Love 3

I agree, tobeannounced.  A show like this is wanted and they have the best format.  I am not interested in news shows grabbing one of their random reporters to comment which we see, now, after award shows.  And without FP that is all there is.  I suppose this is an opening for another network to create something but I prefer E! to work on this one.  

• Love 1

Bring on actual fashion people like Tim Gunn, editors of beauty and fashion mags, etc, like the ones who act as judges at Project Runway. But it's possible they may be too involved and connected to the celebs themselves to be freely critical.

I won't miss annoying Kelly who adores everyone and won't criticise friends who look a hot mess.

• Love 2

From a recent interview Kathy did it sounded like they wanted her to be a more abrasive copy Joan.  And she balked because she 1) isn't Joan and 2) there are some lines Joan could cross and would be acceptable just because of who she is that Kathy couldn't sell.

But it also sounded like she got notes from E indicating that they were trying to introduce some new segments that frankly made the show feel meaner than it was even under Joan.  For instance they wanted to introduce a segment called 'Whore Score'. 

In the interview Kathy tries to make a distinction between making fun of people because of what they do, how they behave/what they wear versus who they are.  And it sounds like 'E' was blurring those lines more and more.  Which  is why her letter stresses 'context' so much.  This is why the Zendaya mess was so, well, messy.  They didn't get the nuance of why the joke didn't work because it didn't take into account the identity politics inherent in what they were saying.

The interview is here: http://national.suntimes.com/national-entertainment/national-celebrity/7/72/771476/kathy-griffin-fashion-police/

• Love 1

Are E! and NBC in the same ownership group? A poster on another board I read suggested Tara Lipinski & Johnny Weir as a possibility. I would watch that! They make me giggle.

Interesting idea! I like both Tara and Johhny, I follow Tara on Instagram but haven't seen any mention of a possible FP appearance. I think they'd be great. I loved seeing them at the Super Bowl and thought that was awesome.

I think there is a need for this type of show. As I mentioned before, if there is another similar show on a different network I've yet to run across it. I thought Kathy Griffin was great here and I'm normally not a fan so Imwas quite surprised to read this news today. Very interesting development and I'm curious as to the jumping ship after the Oscars as well. I mean why even bother re casting the show after Joan's death if it was planned for everyone to quit any way? Something must be going on behind the scenes that is making everyone want to leave.

• Love 1

They could revamp it to actually focus more on the fashion itself- with designers, people like Tim Gunn, like you said, etc. I still think there's an audience for that, esp on E! and after awards ceremonies.

They just have to not try to redo the Joan Rivers thing (who absolutely made fun of people for things other than their clothes, by the way, Kathy just doesn't want to do that, it sounds like). They just can't do it, because the show was originally all about Joan more than anything else. Now, they should just gear it towards the fashion.

• Love 2

Mountainair, there's Fashion Queens on Bravo.  I think it airs Sunday nights.  I haven't been watching long.  It's entertaining, but for some reason, they don't seem to do fashion roundups for, say, the Oscars, which are some of my favorite times to watch.

Mountainair, there's Fashion Queens on Bravo. I think it airs Sunday nights. I haven't been watching long. It's entertaining, but for some reason, they don't seem to do fashion roundups for, say, the Oscars, which are some of my favorite times to watch.

Thanks! I forgot about that one. I gave it a shot when it first aired a year ago (?) and didn't really like it. I think because some of their personalities already wore thin for me based on their Real Housewives Appearances. I'd be willing to give it another shot but yea, the one thing I did like about FP was their award show fashion breaks downs of usually, legit celebrities. I thought it tied in nicely with their red carpet coverage. Without FP, I can't see me wanting to watch their red carpet coverage anymore either. It was sort of a package deal for me.

Edited by Mountainair
  • Love 1

I definitely agree that something is going on behind the scenes.   Kelly's departure had to be about more than what she said it was about.  It didn't seem believable to me at all.   George disappeared from the panel, and it's not clear if he opted to not come back, or if he was simply not brought back by E! and by Melissa.    Kathy -- who is no stranger to making crude comments about celebrities -- is now suddenly not on board with the direction the show is taking?  I doubt that the direction the show is taking is that much different than the one it was taking when Joan was on board, and she loved Joan and loved Joan's raunchy humor.  So... I don't get it.

There is much more to all of this that we may never know -- or we won't know it for a few years, when someone finally decides to speak up about it.

I tend to think that when Melissa and company sat down (right after Joan's death) to decide on the future of the show, they probably came to an agreement with E! to run the show for a new season (17 episodes), but to let the 'new' panel have the option to leave after the Oscars.  After the Oscars were over there was a good stopping point, because the whole awards season was over, officially, and the next really big awards shows will be the VMAs and the Emmys (late in the summer).   It would be too disruptive to upset the panel in the middle of awards season when they were doing one show every week, from early January to late February, and then have someone leave right before the Oscars.

So they all probably knew that the series would go on for at least the rest of this year (10 more shows), but that they could leave after the Academy Awards.  Maybe Kathy, Brad and Kelly were trying to decide if the chemistry and vibe were right, and if the show felt right for them.  It probably did not feel right to Kathy and Kelly for the first 7 shows -- and, quite frankly, a lot of people were telling Kathy that she could never fill Joan's shoes -- but they felt obligated, personally (to Melissa/Joan) and legally, to stick it out.  As soon as the first chance to leave opened up, they took it.

As I mentioned last night, even though I think that G should stay on the show and finish out the remaining 10 episodes of the year, I think that she is the one that probably really wanted to get out of there.  She was the one who was always taking long breaks away from FP, while Joan was there every single week!   She and her husband have at least one restaurant (maybe more).  She probably wants to spend more time with their young son.  They probably want to have another child.  And are they still doing the reality show, or was it cancelled?

Maybe Melissa will tell G, "Look, if you really want to go, then go."  I have a feeling that G doesn't want to let Melissa down and she probably doesn't want to make it look as though she is jumping ship too, but... I think she will eventually be gone as well.  She may not leave before they complete the final 10 shows of this season, or maybe she will, but I think that G will probably not be back for a 2016 version of Fashion Police unless they can get a panel together that actually works well together and wants to be there.

Edited by Sherry67

Huh. Kathy usually thumbs her nose at the haters.

Too bad, because I was enjoying the revamped show with the new panel and minus Joan.

I loved Joan and I miss her on the show, but I was enjoying the new version of the show too.  I don't understand Kathy's reasons for leaving -- they don't seem to make sense, knowing what we know about Kathy and knowing how she felt about Joan and Joan's humor -- but I think that she is not spilling the real scoop.  There's probably all sorts of crap going on behind the scenes that no one is talking about.  And Melissa -- who is already dealing with the death of her mom and trying to hold it together for her young son -- probably doesn't want to deal with all of the crap.  It's got to be a lot of stress on her. 

There's definitely something going on. As we know, Kathy is not polite, she has called out Gwyneth Paltrow for being too skinny numerous times, so her comment about not appreciating people's differences (or whatever it was) seems confusing. If I didn't dislike what Giuliana stands for in general (vacuous questions and comments disguised as journalism) I'd say Kelly and Kathy were "mean-girling" G for some reason. I like Fashion Police, it was mindless fun while looking at pretty outfits.

Someone needs to pull the trigger on this 'show' and end it. No one can replace Joan, and Griffin was a poor choice to try.

In this world of sucking up to celebrities and attempting to be PC to everyone, there may be no room for honest fashion critique. Osborne going was a step in the right direction.

I don't think Melissa needs the money. She can go 'Elvis' Joan's estate and sue that selfie snapping a$$hole doc.

In the interview Kathy tries to make a distinction between making fun of people because of what they do, how they behave/what they wear versus who they are.

Which makes her a giant hypocrite. This is the woman who called Miley Cyrus a cunt in her stage show, back when Miley was still an underage teenager.

Griffin built her career on making fun of people for who they are.

Edited by SmithW6079
  • Love 5

I loved Joan and I miss her on the show, but I was enjoying the new version of the show too.  I don't understand Kathy's reasons for leaving -- they don't seem to make sense, knowing what we know about Kathy and knowing how she felt about Joan and Joan's humor -- but I think that she is not spilling the real scoop.  There's probably all sorts of crap going on behind the scenes that no one is talking about.  And Melissa -- who is already dealing with the death of her mom and trying to hold it together for her young son -- probably doesn't want to deal with all of the crap.  It's got to be a lot of stress on her. 

I don't want to assume Melissa is some kind of put on victim here.  It's true she's dealing with her Mom's death, and that's cause for much sympathy (even though we all know how mean Joan herself could be at times).  But through the years peeking through various reality show portrayals there have often been signs that Melissa isn't exactly the world's nicest person either (The Celeb Apprentice recap show back before the finale this year reminded me strongly of how personal she took things and the whole instant go-to of labeling Brandi Roderick and Annie Duke as "whores" and "pit vipers", for example).

We only know the bits from Kelly, Kathy and Guiliana that have leaked or been aired out by them, and we know even LESS what Melissa thinks.  It's easy to assume this is all coming from over her head (from E! itself), but it could just as easily be a partnership of misery starting in the middle, with Melissa, rather than from the top.

• Love 1

I don't want to assume Melissa is some kind of put on victim here.  It's true she's dealing with her Mom's death, and that's cause for much sympathy (even though we all know how mean Joan herself could be at times).  But through the years peeking through various reality show portrayals there have often been signs that Melissa isn't exactly the world's nicest person either (The Celeb Apprentice recap show back before the finale this year reminded me strongly of how personal she took things and the whole instant go-to of labeling Brandi Roderick and Annie Duke as "whores" and "pit vipers", for example).

We only know the bits from Kelly, Kathy and Guiliana that have leaked or been aired out by them, and we know even LESS what Melissa thinks.  It's easy to assume this is all coming from over her head (from E! itself), but it could just as easily be a partnership of misery starting in the middle, with Melissa, rather than from the top.

All I said was that Melissa -- who lost her mom -- is trying to hold it together for her son and probably doesn't want to deal with any of this crap (people jumping ship, or threatening to jump ship, etc.).   I wouldn't want to deal with it either.   For all I know, she may have been the one to ask everyone to leave.   For all I know, she may have had a damn good reason to ask them to leave -- maybe they were all being pains in the ass behind the scenes.  Or maybe they weren't.  I have no idea what happened. 

I am neither making Melissa out to be a victim nor a villain.  She is a human being.  I am simply saying that the woman lost her mom, with whom she was very close -- and her son lost his beloved grandmother.  By the way, they also lost a family pet recently too, and her son apparently adored that dog.   They are dealing with a lot of stuff.   For them, this all goes beyond simple entertainment.  Her mom was Fashion Police.  Melissa probably feels a bit obligated to continue on with FP because her mom loved doing it, but maybe her heart's not really in it right now. 

Well people deal with death differently, I suppose.

Melissa could feel done with it and checked out. Or she could be totally in mad at the world control freak bitch mode.  She could be sleeping on the job, or the root of the problems herself, or shuffled to one side by the network, or somewhere between all of these.

We're dealing with an information vacuum here, I think, although Melissa coming on air to take up one of the now empty spots will inform us a bit.  At the very least her mere willingness to do so, to take that on air spot I mean, suggests she's onboard with what's happening and the one in control though, rather than checked out.

I read a comment by Kathy to the effect that someone on staff wrote the joke for Guiliana, and that she would not have done it, nor would she let them write for her.

I suspect that might have triggered her leaving--if they were pushing material and structure on her that she was not comfortable with.    Whore Score.....etc.

Kathy has her own distinctive style and I know she has people who contribute material, but I feel like they are people who know her voice and tone and what they come up with feels like it is "her".

If E! or FP is trying to push her into a more scripted form--(as they obviously did with Guiliana) I can understand her not wanting to go that way.   

• Love 2

Except Kathy is the one who supplied the word "weed" when Guiliana was struggling to complete her sentence  it could easily be that Kathy remembered the joke from reherseal and was moving the show along but it is totally disingenious to say that she would have never have said it when she was the one who helped G complete the joke. Seriously, the reaction and including "some man wrote that for her" instead of just saying a writer (yes we are aware the show has writers heck, on the D-List Kathy even showed how she worked with writers when she was doing red carpet gigs) made me lose some respect for her.

Edited by biakbiak

The TV Guide Channel used to have a red carpet wrap show with Nick Verreos and Tabatha Coffey, moderated by the horrible Ali Landry. It was kind of unwatchable, even though I watched it. Not sure if it's still airing, though.

There's always Go Fug Yourself.

Edited by lordonia

The TV Guide Channel used to have a red carpet wrap show with Nick Verreos and Tabatha Coffey, moderated by the horrible Ali Landry. It was kind of unwatchable, even though I watched it. Not sure if it's still airing, though.

There's always Go Fug Yourself.

Don't think it was on this year. I remember it with Lisa Rinna. That might be going back a ways.