Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E07: My Dad's Big Fat Fabulous Past

• Start Topic

This is the first episode I've really enjoyed in I don't know how long -- maybe ever.

First, it's quieter. Less shrieking. And people are actually having very human conversations, including Whitney. And she's not the central topic of all of them.  And I don't think Whitney has bossed anyone.

And it's a compelling and relatable human story.

The convo between Jackie and Glenn was quite touching. I like that so much more than the screamy Events!! that TLC harps on.

Edited by JeanJean
  • Like 7

Did you hear that the guy who didn't want to be on tv bad enough to pretend to like Whitney called her Sexy Aunt?  Did you know that Whitney's been called sexy many times but never an aunt.  Those were two interesting things I learned tonight.

But the most interesting thing I learned about Whitney was this:  she does not think that if you try to do something and fail you are allowed to think you did well.  Better editors would have inserted all of the clips from past seasons where Whitney was "proud of herself" for doing the splits on skis, taking a whole day to walk the Hawaiian 5k, having to be dragged down the rocks she couldn't climb by Jessica's husband, etc. 🤣🤣🤣

• Like 8
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 5
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, princelina said:

Did you hear that the guy who didn't want to be on tv bad enough to pretend to like Whitney called her Sexy Aunt?  Did you know that Whitney's been called sexy many times but never an aunt.  Those were two interesting things I learned.

Believe me if anyone has called her sexy it's because they were being paid to do so.  And you could tell she was pissed that fake boyfriend # whatever didn't want to sell his soul and dignity to pretend to be attracted to her.  Which reminds me...whatever happened to fake French boyfriend?  Was there ever an explanation? 

In other news, Glenn was a nice looking fellow in his youth.  

• Like 9
9 hours ago, princelina said:

But the most interesting thing I learned about Whitney was this:  she does not think that if you try to do something and fail you are allowed to think you did well.  Better editors would have inserted all of the clips from past seasons where Whitney was "proud of herself" for doing the splits on skis, taking a whole day to walk the Hawaiian 5k, having to be dragged down the rocks she couldn't climb by Jessica's husband, etc. 🤣🤣🤣

First thing I thought of, waiting for the clips! Missed opportunity editors. 

The great granddaughter being obstinate about the doll house was hilarious. Anyone who raised a toddler knows that scene. I felt bad for Angie because I've been there. 'Oh, you're being shy!'  Haha kids are gonna be kids sometimes!

Whitney asking Lenny about her menstrual cycle. Ew. 

• Like 5
  • Love 2
10 hours ago, princelina said:

Better editors would have inserted all of the clips from past seasons where Whitney was "proud of herself" for doing the splits on skis, taking a whole day to walk the Hawaiian 5k, having to be dragged down the rocks she couldn't climb by Jessica's husband, etc. 🤣🤣🤣

Don't forget her weight lifting competition.  Coming in 2nd out of 2 people and then having everyone cheer for her, she's pathetic.

• Like 3
  • LOL 5
2 hours ago, Pi237 said:

The great granddaughter being obstinate about the doll house was hilarious. Anyone who raised a toddler knows that scene. I felt bad for Angie because I've been there. 'Oh, you're being shy!'  Haha kids are gonna be kids sometimes!

My 3yo grandbaby is EXACTLY in this stage. It was like watching my house all over again, minus the thumb-sucking, when she was giving Glenn the stink-eye. She has even taken to doing this when I drop her off at school and all the kids in her class say "HI!!!!" to her when she walks in. 🤦🏻‍♀️🤷🏻‍♀️ She warmed up to the dollhouse and I hope Glenn was happy. You could see him swallowing hard when the great-grandbaby was rejecting the whole situation. ❤️

• Like 6

OK - I thought that Jackie had died months after giving birth to Angie? But now we find out that Jackie had two additional daughters and died a few weeks before Angie found her two sisters that Jackie had after her. I wonder when Jackie actually died.

Also, do they not have seafood boils in Greensboro or something? Shitney was feigning confusion about the boil buffet like she was trying to make that a goober hillbilly thing. I mean, the crawdads in the pool was odd to me but everything else was pretty normal throughout the US to the best of my knowledge.

I think Angie has truly handled this entire birth father/family reuniting with grace and class. She has balanced everything in a model way - from her kids/grandbaby and her 'new' siblings to her adoptive family to the camera crews. I'm really impressed with her and I hope some of that rubs off on Shitney because she could TRULY use some of that!

Edited by lightninggirl
  • Like 13

Someone explain something to me. How is it that Whitney thinks she won more competitions overall than Jaime? She "won" that ridiculous "dance-off" and then "won" getting out of the water (??) last on the first day, right? A competition she declared herself winner of when Jaime was already getting out, and had no idea about? How is sitting in water a competition? And Jaime won the beer pong and cornhole games. So by my count that would make them, at most, even. And for my money, Jaime is the winner by one, because sitting in water is not a competition, one that Jaime didn't even know she was "competing" in.

That dollhouse turned out pretty great! I wish he had put shingles on the roof, but it looks way better than my sad version which is still languishing in the closet. I'm sure the little kid will come to treasure it in time. 

• Like 9
13 hours ago, swankie said:

Which reminds me...whatever happened to fake French boyfriend?  Was there ever an explanation? 

He's just gone . . . like BGDC, being a lesbian and having Roy in the bag.  Pretend it never happened 😂

4 hours ago, SevenCostanza said:

Don't forget her weight lifting competition.  Coming in 2nd out of 2 people and then having everyone cheer for her, she's pathetic.

Haha I did forget that one - and ballroom dancing too (when Todd had to put her shoes on!) - I knew one of you out there would help remember more 😄

2 hours ago, lightninggirl said:

Also, do they not have seafood boils in Greensboro or something?

Whitney stated that they do not 🤷‍♀️

• Like 1
  • LOL 2
3 hours ago, lightninggirl said:

Also, do they not have seafood boils in Greensboro or something? Shitney was feigning confusion about the boil buffet like she was trying to make that a goober hillbilly thing. I mean, the crawdads in the pool was odd to me but everything else was pretty normal throughout the US to the best of my knowledge.

I think they are pretty common in South Carolina and further south but maybe not so much North Carolina. Still, it’s not like they’re unheard of. 

• Like 4
  • Love 1

Just a quick google search for "seafood boil, Greensboro, NC":

Red Crab

The Juicy Crab

Seafood Destiny

Crazy Crab Seafood & Grill

Crab Du Jour

Hmmmmm........no seafood boils in Greensboro, NC *allegedly 5 show up on Yelp with reviews on their seafood boils.

• Like 1
  • LOL 3
On 10/17/2023 at 10:32 PM, princelina said:

Did you hear that the guy who didn't want to be on tv bad enough to pretend to like Whitney called her Sexy Aunt?  Did you know that Whitney's been called sexy many times but never an aunt.  Those were two interesting things I learned tonight.

Don't forget when trainer Will found a half eaten cookie in the floorboard of her car and she felt he should praise her for not eating the whole cookie.

• Like 1
  • LOL 7
On 10/18/2023 at 12:26 PM, lightninggirl said:

OK - I thought that Jackie had died months after giving birth to Angie? But now we find out that Jackie had two additional daughters and died a few weeks before Angie found her two sisters that Jackie had after her. I wonder when Jackie actually died.

I don't recall them saying anything implying that Jackie died shortly after giving birth, but anyway, apparently Jackie died in 2015, according to this article https://starcasm.net/glenn-thore-ex-jackie-details/

22 hours ago, Lurk said:

Just a quick google search for "seafood boil, Greensboro, NC":

Red Crab

The Juicy Crab

Seafood Destiny

Crazy Crab Seafood & Grill

Crab Du Jour

Hmmmmm........no seafood boils in Greensboro, NC *allegedly 5 show up on Yelp with reviews on their seafood boils.

As much as it pains me to defend Shitney, I have lived my whole life in North Carolina and Virginia and have never come across or heard of something like that boil buffet. I have been to all-you-can-eat crab feasts, and it was people sitting down at picnic tables and eating the crab that they put in front of them. And the seafood boils at restaurants, in which you order by the pound, do not appear to be at all the same thing as that everybody-stand-up-and-eat-over-the-food spectacle.

On 10/18/2023 at 1:29 PM, monagatuna said:

Someone explain something to me. How is it that Whitney thinks she won more competitions overall than Jaime? She "won" that ridiculous "dance-off" and then "won" getting out of the water (??) last on the first day, right? A competition she declared herself winner of when Jaime was already getting out, and had no idea about? How is sitting in water a competition? And Jaime won the beer pong and cornhole games. So by my count that would make them, at most, even. And for my money, Jaime is the winner by one, because sitting in water is not a competition, one that Jaime didn't even know she was "competing" in.

Whitney declared herself not a sore loser, which may be true...what we saw of how she handled the corn hole loss appeared to be just fine.  However...what she is, is much much much worse, and that is a sore winner. It's actually understandable when someone is a sore loser...after all, they just lost. But there is no excuse for being such a miserable winner as Shitney is...you already won, so stop bleating about your fantastic accomplishment and rubbing the 'victory' in people's faces.

But I have to say I was mystified by that line dancing competition, which is what they called it. Whitney was actually the only one who did line dancing, and from their comments, it appeared they had never actually seen line dancing. What Shitney did was very very basic line dancing, but she was so damn proud of it, as though she was Dallas Cowboy Cheerleader-level dancing.

And excuse my snark, but Jamie took quite a chance on trying that flying leap into her boyfriend's (?) arms. Yes, she's thinner than Shitney, but she's no Jennifer Grey!

• Like 5
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2

I think Angie has truly handled this entire birth father/family reuniting with grace and class. She has balanced everything in a model way - from her kids/grandbaby and her 'new' siblings to her adoptive family to the camera crews. I'm really impressed with her and I hope some of that rubs off on Shitney because she could TRULY use some of that!

She's a gracious and lovely lady. The fact that she could put up with Whitney is proof. 

• Like 6
  • Wink 1

Maybe I'm crazy or need to get my eyes checked, but they keep talking about how much Angie resembles Glen, and I just do not see it!  Of course, it's hard to see what her face really looks like, with her eyes so caked with mascara and liner!

• Like 2

I did a little research and found an obituary for Jackie on Find a Grave.

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/145100596/mary-jacqueline-groover

What I think is strange it that Hunter and Whit didn't know anything about Jackie or Angie until 2022, just before their mother died. Glen never thought to tell them? Wasn't the story that Jackie lived with Glen's sister for awhile. So, if the rest of the family knew, why the secrecy? Or is that all BS and part of the story line and Whit and Hunt knew for years?

• Like 5

They may not have seafood boils in Greensboro, but they surely have them on the coast in Wilmington, where Chase lived.  True, he wasn't a real boyfriend, either - just a paid actor - but still!

On 10/19/2023 at 12:25 PM, princelina said:

I think he does too - that's why he refused to show up for anything 😂

My theory is that he was going to meet Whitney, possibly mostly/entirely for the TV exposure, and that's why he was friendly at first, called her "sexy" and all that, but then after looking up and reviewing previous episodes of this show realized how much of a complete wacko Whitney is and decided he wanted no part of it, for TV, any amount of money or anything else.  Not worth it to have to deal with Whitney at all.

• Like 4
On 10/22/2023 at 9:22 PM, Dibs said:

They may not have seafood boils in Greensboro, but they surely have them on the coast in Wilmington, where Chase lived.  True, he wasn't a real boyfriend, either - just a paid actor - but still!

...but we all remember how much time she spent actually visiting her supposed fiance!!

• LOL 2
On 10/18/2023 at 2:49 PM, princelina said:

He's just gone . . . like BGDC, being a lesbian and having Roy in the bag.  Pretend it never happened 😂

Haha I did forget that one - and ballroom dancing too (when Todd had to put her shoes on!) - I knew one of you out there would help remember more 😄

Whitney stated that they do not 🤷‍♀️

Whitney lies, but that is not news. There are all sorts of restaurants in GSO and surrounding towns. And at least a few places where you can buy fresh crawfish.

• Useful 1