Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E09: Rakshasa

maraleia

So that's what went down at Red Ridge, what a clusterfuck. Eleanor definitely needs to thank Charlotte (RIP, Hostess), if the DEA and Hank (who better survive, damn it) weren't there, she'd be dead.

So Sonya, not the most grateful person in the world, is she?

• Love 2

Wait, Hank is still alive? And he can move? That is impossible to believe.

Farewell Charlotte. Guess, Ray will be living the Alaskan dream with another woman.

Sonya surviving was not a surprise. And really, she still does not get it? Hank did tell her that Marco and Fausto were raised together like brothers. Of course, he would not kill Marco unless he totally had no choice. He would kill everyone around Marco first.

Fausto's men were sloppy as hell. 

Are we absolutely sure Charlotte is not just playing possum? Bullets were flying so fast I didn't actually see her get shot.

Unfortunately, when Cesar checked on her Charlotte was definitely dead. Her eyes were open and she was not moving. Between Fausto's men and informing to the DEA, Charlotte was doomed no matter what. Her death was probably quicker than if Eleanor or Fausto's men had gotten a chance to work on her.

I thought that Fausto was going to tell his bodyguard that Marco betrayed him, but instead he talked about Sebastian. It is interesting that despite everything that has gone down Fausto still never even considers the possibility of Marco giving him up or turning on him.

Edited by SimoneS

So Sonya, not the most grateful person in the world, is she?

If I were Marco I'd have been tempted to take her back out to the dessert and say "adios". I want to know the actual bodycount before I mourn anyone, but Cesar pretty much pronounced Charlotte deceased..or was he covering for her so that Eleanor wouldn't finish the job? I'm going to assume that Hank is still alive, because he and Sonya still have unresolved issues, and his death wouldn't further the plot.

Ray is one lucky guy.

I didn't watch the previews.  Hank is still alive?  Did he leave that trail of blood out the door?  Did Eleanor cut up all the other bodies? 

I'm not surprised McKenzie and crew got it.  Stupid not to leave someone outside when they went in.

Yes, by some miracle Hank is still alive. He was gone when Cesar went to check on Charlotte and then we were shown the pool of blood and the blood trail where he dragged himself out.

The DEA not taking a whole tactical squad to get Eleanor was ridiculous. I would expect them to overdo it on principle. Instead, it was just two agents and Hank. I am surprised that they bothered wearing bullet proof vests. Moments like this make me roll my eyes at this show. 

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 5

I didn't watch the previews.  Hank is still alive?  Did he leave that trail of blood out the door?  Did Eleanor cut up all the other bodies?

That was Hank's trail out the door. At least as of the end of this ep, Eleanor hadn't chopped anyone up.

I think the body count was Charlotte, notaryLady, Mackenzie, other DEA guy, at least 2 of Fausto's guys who Hank shot ...

Known survivors: Cesar, Eleanor and Hank

Am I totally misremembering or did Cerisola not refer to Romina as his daughter in their previous scene(s)? I swear he called her "my love" when they were riding in a car together, but this time a snippet of that was shown in the previouslies and he said, "my daughter" at the point I thought he'd said, "my love." It felt like they were clarifying in the previouslies that she's his daughter to set up tonight's scenes.

Totally misremembering?

Edited by lulee
  • Love 1

Eleanor must have some kind of magical barrier, that protects not only her, but extends to those she's on good terms with.  A big fucking shoot-out between cops and cartel members, and she, Cesar, and Heiman all make it out in one piece.  Well, Cesar was almost a goner, had it not been for Hank, but that's still impressive.  I guess this means Eleanor and Cesar can continue their vampire erotica book club.

So, yeah, Red Ridge happened, and it was bloody.  Figured at least one regular would bite it, and it looks like it's Charlotte.  Not too surprised, since she really hasn't been used much this season, but I never would have predicted Ray would outlast her.  He was lucky that Eleanor didn't think he was needed for the pow-wow.  Hank's still alive at least, but that looked like a lot of blood, so I can't see him lasting for too long.

Don't think they would just cast Wade Williams for this brief role, so I wonder if his character will be showing back up.

Didn't care for the Sonya in peril story-line, since there is no way they are killing her off now.  She and Marco are the only two characters who won't be going anywhere, except maybe the finale.  Marco's dealings with Sebastian were a bit more fun, mainly because it was cool seeing the Bichir Brothers together again.

Yeah, Fausto clearly isn't going quietly into the night.

No Daniel or Adriana, but considering how this episode went, I"m quite glad they were around for the bloodshed.  I guess Linder and Eva are still off on their Revenge Tour.

Eleanor must have some kind of magical barrier, that protects not only her, but extends to those she's on good terms with. A big fucking shoot-out between cops and cartel members, and she, Cesar, and Heiman all make it out in one piece. Well, Cesar was almost a goner, had it not been for Hank, but that's still impressive. .

i wasn't sure of Jaime's status - couldn't keep up there. A big slow-moving target and he leaves unscathed?

Edited by lulee
  • Love 1

The DEA not taking a whole tactical squad to get Eleanor was ridiculous. I would expect them to overdo it on principle. Instead, it was just two agents and Hank. I am surprised that they bothered wearing bullet proof vests. Moments like this make me roll my eyes at this show. 

I'm actually okay with this. They made sure that Hank mentioned that they were trying to keep off the CIA's radar with the whole thing. Bringing in backup would have meant informing higher ups, and they counted on not being expected.

• Love 1

For all the advance billing of the Chopper as a demon, he didn't do much of anything to Sonya. I guess he saves the sadism till after he's dug the grave.

Ray once again has nine lives. Cesar meanwhile is accessory to so many murders that I can't see him having a good end in the bosom of his family.  Perhaps Eleanor will demand he get immunity in return for the ledger.  I'm pretty sure she'd turn in all of them if she got a chance to spend some quality time alone with her dad. I wonder if the son that was taken away from her will figure into thins at all.

Saddest moment:  Hank getting wounded, but at least he survived.

Next saddest moment:  Charlotte's death.  I liked her, in spite of everything.

Weirdest moment:  Cesar and Eleanor bonding over vampire lit.

Most frustrating moment:  Sonya's treatment of Marco.  Sheesh.

• Love 2

RIP Charlotte. Should have taken Ray up on his offer to run away to Alaska.

I know Cesar has no choice at this point, but I was still disappointed that he went from chauffeuring Eleanor around to killing Chip (with poor Jaime, who turned out to be quick learner). I hope he doesn't track Hank and finish him off. If he does, then Cesar will be dead to me. 

I LOLed at Fausto asking his bodyguard if he brought his fiber and foot powder. The man's got priorities. Even with Agent McKenzie dead, I still hope we find out who his guy is inside Fausto's organization.

Sonya tied up in the desert was a bit too reminiscent of season 1's girl in the desert story. Glad this story didn't drag out long. I didn't get the point of the kidnapping story. Maybe it was just to reunite Sonya and Marco. If so, that's fine because I really do like them working together. However, Sonya needs to show a little gratitude. 

The Chopper proved to be a pretty mediocre assassin. Get your money back, Fausto.

Hank better survive.

Am I totally misremembering or did Cerisola not refer to Romina as his daughter in their previous scene(s)? I swear he called her "my love" when they were riding in a car together, but this time a snippet of that was shown in the previouslies and he said, "my daughter" at the point I thought he'd said, "my love." It felt like they were clarifying in the previouslies that she's his daughter to set up tonight's scenes.

Totally misremembering?

If you're misremembering, lulee, then so am I. The last time we saw Cerisola with that woman I thought she was his lover. He was a little too touchy-feely with her during the limo ride. I remember I had to rewind the original scene because I couldn't get a handle on what the nature of their relationship was. Neither time did I hear him call her daughter like in the previouslies.

Edited by bunnyblue
  • Love 1

Even with Agent McKenzie dead, I still hope we find out who his guy is inside Fausto's organization.

I believe that was Charlotte, as per Mckenzie's conversation with Hank.

• Love 2

I'm actually okay with this. They made sure that Hank mentioned that they were trying to keep off the CIA's radar with the whole thing. Bringing in backup would have meant informing higher ups, and they counted on not being expected.

You are right. I had forgotten that the DEA agents were trying to hide from the CIA. Although I don't buy into show's premise that this would occur in real life the way it is playing out here, it is a solid rationale for their actions.

it would be a great episode if the Chopper part was more interesting. Of course the main lead would survive (well not always sure with tv these days) but there was nothing intense in the whole plot. 

Btw, Sonya, who doesnt like to be touched, seemed just fine while under Marco's arms. Right? Riiight!
Tough little cookie is Ms Cross, all the angst this season + an assassination attempt + a few hours in the desert but  she is like  the Energizer bunny. A bit of fresh water in the face and she was up and ready to attack Marco with questions and blames.
(actually this was the best part, it would be absolutely silly if she was changing attitude so easily).

RIP Charlotte. Your ledger smack in the face of Eleanor was a brave thing to do. And then you died..

A and Eleanor wont be among those having their icloud accounts ripped. She would never pick a weak password.

Edited by Zaffy

I loved Cesar having a moment of hesitation when he told Eleanor that his wife was reading the second volume of the vampire series.  "She wouldn't kill her to get the book, would she?" he seemed to be thinking.

I was relieved that Sonya's kidnapping turned out to be less "damsel in distress" and more "desert survival."   I have to admit, however, to loving Marco's fierce search and rescue.  Demian Bishir can read the phonebook in both English and Spanish and I'll probably be watching (and early in this season, it was just about that interesting).

Hank!  Cesar seems to have given him a chance to get away (or at least a head start), so we can hope.

• Love 6

I liked Charlotte in season 1. She was interesting. Season 2 they didn't give her much to do so why not kill her off? There are enough strong females on this show to keep me interested until the end of the season...but I may not be back for a third.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 1
I'm not surprised McKenzie and crew got it.

McKenzie, in his own way, was as dumb as Ray. I can't say I was too upset to see him get gunned down. I was sorry to see Charlotte go, but it's about time in the season that one of the major characters gets killed.

I had to laugh when Eleanor was so disgusted with Charlotte's "1, 2, 3, 4" pass code. Little things like this save the show from being entirely grim. Like the vampire-erotica book club Eleanor has going with Cesar. Or like last week, when Fausto's guy was complaining about his orthotics.

For all the advance billing of the Chopper as a demon, he didn't do much of anything to Sonya.

I know. I'm not exactly disappointed, as I think this show tightly snuggles the line of showing explicit violence because it can, but I did expect the Chopper to at least slap Sonya around a bit more. Copping a cheap feel while she's unconscious was pretty tame.

• Love 3
Yes, by some miracle Hank is still alive. He was gone when Cesar went to check on Charlotte and then we were shown the pool of blood and the blood trail where he dragged himself out.

The whole dragging yourself out was weird to me. I been on the floor a lot, uh, with the cats. Dragging is a lot of work and you tend to pull stuff along with you. It looked they they poured the blood on top of all of that smashed glass. None of it was out of place, from a smashed pattern.

I had to dig a hole for my cat once. Digging holes suck.

• Love 1

RIP Charlotte. Your ledger smack in the face of Eleanor was a brave thing to do. And then you died..

A and Eleanor wont be among those having their icloud accounts ripped. She would never pick a weak password.

Charlotte shot the Swayze brother last season in the desert, indicating she is not above violence.  I can't believe she didn't pack some protection, and I don't mean Trojans, for that meeting with Eleanor.

With all the tautness and grimness of this show, I couldn't help flashing back on Spaceballs for that password scene.

I would hope that Sonya is not so judgmental about Marco shooting someone in cold blood now, but, no.  "How can I trust you, Marco?"  "Well..."

Kudos to the show for turning the first episode on its head.  And we all thought that Eleanor was the lone culprit.  I wonder if she knew something about Jaime in the beginning.  I don't see how she could get him to kill someone without remorse.  What the hell is Lawyer Lyle going to do for the cleanup?  Oxy-Clean and Pine-Sol isn't gonna get it, this time.

• Love 1

I think that was Sonya's attempt to use sex in order to get free, either as a bargaining chip or as a way to distract The Chopper so that she had a chance to disable him during the rape.

oh, silly me, I thought it was just  another excuse to see D.Kruger's awesome bum. 

how many times already in this season? 4? 5? 

If I were D.Kruger I would worry there is a stalker in the writing room with a list of fantasies about me.

• Suffocating Sex? Check!
  • Bum shot while sex? Check!
  • Peeing in the desert? Check!

gets kind of creepy :D

• Love 1

Goodbye Charlotte, but welcome Sebastian's daughter, she looks nice, I want to know more about her, her mother must be blonde and or American, she speaks very good English...

I guess also Charlotte's step daughter will not come back, since the actress has a permanent role on NCIS now.

Who is Sebastian?  Fausto says that is who betrayed him, but I can't place him.

I actually enjoyed this episode, I did have to moan/laugh a couple of times.  Who runs head on into a gunfire assault. Wouldn't you be more likely to hide in a closet or jump out a back window?  

So, how long after this went down, do you think that Lyle Lovett shows up?

I'm so over Sonja.  Man, if only it could have been her who bit the bullet and Charlotte who survived.  What a waste.  I'm done with the Sonja character. I have no investment in her at all, so it's just frustrating watching Hank and Marco care so much.  

Who is Sebastian?  Fausto says that is who betrayed him, but I can't place him.

Sebastian Cerisola, the CEO of Clio, the guy in the glasses played by Demian Bichir's brother. He's the one who hired Eleanor away from Fausto, orchestrated the raid on Fausto and is working with the CIA. Romina is his addict daughter whom Marco sprung from jail; in return, he told Marco that the Chopper had Sonya. 

• Love 3
I can't believe she didn't pack some protection, and I don't mean Trojans, for that meeting with Eleanor.

I can. Eleanor is scary and seems to have the second sight when it comes to stuff like that. Who knows what she would have done if she found a weapon on Charlotte.

• Love 2

2.  The girl is Cerisola's daughter I guess.  But that does not preclude her being his lover as well. He could be a sick fuck.  She seems like she has issues, anyway. That could be why.

I remember in their car scene episodes ago thinking that he seemed to be very parental toward his young mistress ... whom he never actually referred to as his mistress or acted intimate with. I (who do not speak Spanish) wonder if it was just a bad translation when he said, "My love" in that scene and it could have been more like, "my dear (child)."

• Love 2

Couldn't they have brought in some extra El Paso PD officers, though?

I felt like there was a lot of stupidity in this episode. In addition to the notary who decided to run into the midst of the shootout, there was Chopper, the supposedly efficient hitman who decided to let Sonya wander off into the desert.

And there was Chopper's friend, who couldn't seem to figure out that if he blew off Marco's questions, Marco would beat him until he talked.

And then Charlotte, using 1-2-3-4 as the passcode for the phone she uses for criminal operations.

• Love 1

What are the chances a hit man would tell somebody EXACTLY where in what I can only assume is miles and miles of desert he will kill and bury somebody?  Like why would he?  And that is not taking into account that I for one if I WANTED to tell somebody where to meet me in a desert would have no way of doing it.  Like 2 miles south of a big dune wouldn't cut it.  So THAT part made no sense to me.

I agree that the assassin did not seem "demon" like enough to earn that name from Eleanore.  From the title I would have thought that he would be the type to take a girl's shoes and chase her throught the desert as sport. 

I once saw 10 literally 10 cop cars drive up lights flashing for a report of a teenager selling drugs.  I would think you would send more than 3 guys to arrest high level cartel members who for all you know might have the fire power of a small country.  I "get" not wanting CIA involvement but aren't there more than 2 guys in the FBI and the regular police?  And it isn't like doing it this way would mean the CIA never found out so for maybe a half hour lead you are going to throw your life away and your partner's. 

I'm sad about Charlotte for some reason.

So Chip was asphixiated by Jaime.  Didn't see that one coming.  But I guess if he kept his trap shut about the teen in the cylinder Eleanore felt she could trust him.  Was a little shocked Cesar did more than aid and abet this time. 

ETA any thoughts on why the title of this episode?  That is the name of the creature that Kolchak had to shoot with a blessed crossbow bolt in Nightstalker and that is from Hindu mythology right?  It appears to you as the person you trust the most.  Were they referring to Eleanore betraying Fausto,  Charlotte betraying Eleanore, Clio guy betraying Fausto etc?  Any other ideas?

Edited by MDKNIGHT
  • Love 1

What are the chances a hit man would tell somebody EXACTLY where in what I can only assume is miles of miles of desert he will kill and bury somebody?  Like why would he?  And that is not taking into account that I for one if I WANTED to tell somebody where to meet me in a desert would have no way of doing it.  Like 2 miles south of a big dune wouldn't cut it.  So THAT part made no sense to me.

Gotta agree with you on this.  They needed to add something, like the Chopper asking that guy for a good burial location, or that the area is where he buries all his bodies.

When Eleanor said she wanted to read the next vampire book, and Cesar said his wife was reading it, I held my breath waiting for Eleanor's reply.  Then when she calmly and primly said that then she would wait, I thought it was just too funny, and I also thought, why doesn't she just buy a copy for herself?  There is something so absolutely crazy and endearing, of all things, about them sharing these books.

Well, I said last week that McKenzie was too happy and smug to live.

Regarding Cesar helping to kill Chip, I think Cesar has killed, or helped to kill, more than a couple of people in the past.  He did preside over that tunnel for quite a while, and I think he's a man who doesn't enjoy what he has to do, but he definitely does it.

Wow, sure hope Hank can survive.

• Love 1

I don't think that the Red Ridge murder scene from last night is a fast forward from the first episode. They are two completely separate events. 

Couldn't they have brought in some extra El Paso PD officers, though?

And just like, I am back to shaking my head. What exactly stopped the DEA agents and Hank from grabbing up four or five more police officers or a El Paso PD tactical squad. I mean, Eleanor is not just Fausto's bookkeeper, she is a child murderer for goodness sake. Since when do the police take child murderers so lightly. Plus, they did not know how many people were with her in the house. 

I cannot believe that Hank is still alive, much less able to move. I wonder if this is a brief respite and that he will die when they find him.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 1

When Eleanor said she wanted to read the next vampire book, and Cesar said his wife was reading it, I held my breath waiting for Eleanor's reply. Then when she calmly and primly said that then she would wait, I thought it was just too funny, and I also thought, why doesn't she just buy a copy for herself? There is something so absolutely crazy and endearing, of all things, about them sharing these books.

I thought the same thing too - buy your own damn book, lady! But then I thought that rather than being cheap, she was respecting the chain and letting it continue as it had with the first book (first Cesar's wife reads it, then Cesar reads it, then Eleanor reads it), like she has put herself third on the totem pole, so to speak.

I am shocked that Bobby Cobb has outlived Charlotte and so many other characters. He'd better get his ass to Alaska ASAP. I will miss Charlotte but perhaps it's better that she never had to face the reality of sharing an Alaskan trailer with him.

I wasn't sure if Eleanor was being truthful when she told Charlotte that all she had to do was sign the papers and then she would be free. I half expected her to kill Charlotte before the ink was dry, which made me even sadder when I saw that Eleanor had really meant it and only turned on Charlotte when all the guns were ablazing. Nice to see some of Charlotte's old fire come back when she clocked Eleanor in the face though. And it was also nice to see how sad Cesar was about Charlotte's death.

I kind of hope that Jaime died because it made me sad to see him turned into a killing machine. Free Hodor!

I don't think that the Red Ridge murder scene from last night is a fast forward from the first episode. They are two completely separate events

There's still more to happen at Red Ridge before Lyle Lovett arrives but I'm sure it is all part of the same massacre. Indeed, in my cable system's summary of this episode it says "the backstory of the massacre from the first episode is revealed."

• Love 4

...It is interesting that despite everything that has gone down Fausto still never even considers the possibility of Marco giving him up or turning on him.

I think Fausto is just honoring the relationship they have with his own loyalty--Marco's own loyalty (or betrayal) is separate--at least up to this point.

...I guess this means Eleanor and Cesar can continue their vampire erotica book club.

Hee!

I guess Linder and Eva are still off on their Revenge Tour.

Hah!

Sonya tied up in the desert was a bit too reminiscent of season 1's girl in the desert story....

I thought maybe that was the point--that we now know it was Chopper's work (although we might not know who hired him). Or was that David Tate's handiwork??

I'm sad about Charlotte for some reason.

She was so close to being "free," but not really. She never had a chance. She lived high for a while with an old man she seemed to care for. It's more than many ever have. At least it was quick.

ETA any thoughts on why the title of this episode? That is the name of the creature that Kolchak had to shoot with a blessed crossbow bolt in Nightstalker and that is from Hindu mythology right? It appears to you as the person you trust the most. Were they referring to Eleanore betraying Fausto, Charlotte betraying Eleanore, Clio guy betraying Fausto etc? Any other ideas?

Thank you for doing the research. I'd say: All of the above. Edited by shapeshifter

Well, I've gotten conflicting views on whether the shootout in this episode is the same scene where Lyle Lovette later shows up and slips on blood at the doorway.  If it is a different scene, then is it the same house?  I'll have to go back and view the first episode.  It appears there are more dead bodies in this past week's episode than the one that Lyle Lovette is surveying.   Plus, there was blood dripping from the staircase in the first one and in this one, no one was upstairs, except for the notary lady and she ran down the stairs and got shot.  I am confused though.

I think Lyle gets there while Eleanor and crew are chopping up the bodies so as to more easily dispose of them and that quite a few have already been removed from the house. Eleanor has Jaime trained in machete work but doesn't seem to be planning any machete murders. Things will be put on hold while they try to track Hank down, so not as quick an exit as she planned, when Chip Diaz was the only intended victim.

• Love 1
wasn't sure if Eleanor was being truthful when she told Charlotte that all she had to do was sign the papers and then she would be free.

I believed Eleanor. I think that as long as you keep your word to her (i.e., do what she asks), she'll keep hers to you.

Edited by dubbel zout

I think Lyle gets there while Eleanor and crew are chopping up the bodies so as to more easily dispose of them and that quite a few have already been removed from the house. Eleanor has Jaime trained in machete work but doesn't seem to be planning any machete murders. Things will be put on hold while they try to track Hank down, so not as quick an exit as she planned, when Chip Diaz was the only intended victim.

Was Chip the only intended victim? She was so suspicious of Charlotte, asking for her phone, etc.

Eleanor knew Chip had spoken to the police; she didn't know if Charlotte had talked. That was one reason she checked her phone—to be sure. I don't think Eleanor makes preemptive strikes. Everyone she's killed so far has done something.

• Love 1