Type keyword(s) to search

LSSC: Season Nine Episode Talk

• Start Topic

6 minutes ago, opus said:

This piece has it as early as this Monday, although with the SAG strike still going, with a limited guest roster 

https://www.showbiz411.com/2023/09/25/late-night-tv-shows-should-be-back-on-october-2nd-even-without-actors-as-guests

>>>Their guests? Unless SAG wraps up their strike this week, the hosts will be interviewing rock stars, sports stars, miscellaneous celebrity, reality stars, and so on. No actors.<<<

I'm thinking that with a lot that has happened in the past five months, while they were off the air, Stephen Colbert will be interviewing a lot of media personalities and politicians that will talk endlessly about what's going on and what's going forward.

• Like 4
  • Fire 1

I was thinking about Stephen just yesterday, as I've read a story that would likely make it to the Meanwhile segment 😃:

Herd of Sheep Eat 100kg of Cannabis in Greece

A herd of sheep grazing in the semi-flooded plain of Thessaly, Greece “invaded” a greenhouse that cultivated medicinal cannabis and ate around a hundred kilograms, reports say.

The incident happened near the town of in Almyros in Magnesia TheNewspaper.gr website reports.

As the sheep in Greece developed strange behavior, shortly after grazing, the shepherd realized that the sheep had eaten a large part of the cannabis crop.

The owner of the greenhouse saw that his production, which had already been heavily damaged by Storm Daniel, had now been consumed by the sheep which were struggling to find fresh grass due to floods.

“I don’t know if it’s for laughing or crying,” he told TheNewspaper.gr website. “We had the heatwave, and we lost a lot of production. We had the floods, we lost almost everything. And now this…The herd entered the greenhouse and ate what was left. I don’t know what to say, honestly.”

• Like 3
  • Sad 1
8 hours ago, ShadowKnight2 said:

I'm thinking that with a lot that has happened in the past five months, while they were off the air, Stephen Colbert will be interviewing a lot of media personalities and politicians that will talk endlessly about what's going on and what's going forward.

Some people may think the sheep will get high from eating that weed. But the worst that can happen, when you eat them raw, is get an upset stomach. Those weeds need to be dried out first, then heated up via smoking to release all that THC and CBD goodness.

• Sad 2
On 9/26/2023 at 10:56 AM, opus said:

>>>Their guests? Unless SAG wraps up their strike this week, the hosts will be interviewing rock stars, sports stars, miscellaneous celebrity, reality stars, and so on. No actors.<<<

I imagine Fallon might go that route, but I agree with @ShadowKnight2 that Stephen and Seth will go more with the politicians and media people, and Kimmel maybe a mix of both.  

• Like 3
3 hours ago, Fable said:

I imagine Fallon might go that route, but I agree with @ShadowKnight2 that Stephen and Seth will go more with the politicians and media people, and Kimmel maybe a mix of both.  

That’s how I see it too.

Are friends allowed? For instance, here can Jon Stewart come over and just talk about world events without promoting anything?

• Like 3
  • Useful 2

Welcome back, Stephen :). I loved how flat out GIDDY he was at getting to be in front of a live audience again. And I enjoyed his recap of the last five months, though it's kind of surreal to think some of the things he mentioned ONLY happened within the last few months. It feels like some of them were ages ago already. Gotta love how time messes with your mind :p. 

I liked the "pyramid scheme" joke :D. 

Also, can my state of Iowa please be mentioned on TV for GOOD things again? Please? That clip of Trump. WHAT? 

• Like 2
11 hours ago, Annber03 said:

And I enjoyed his recap of the last five months, though it's kind of surreal to think some of the things he mentioned ONLY happened within the last few months. It feels like some of them were ages ago already. Gotta love how time messes with your mind :p. 

I really enjoyed that part too. And it was really clear how much he enjoyed mentioning each of Trump's indictments (as did the audience) lol

• Like 3

Stephen Colbert looked so happy being back in front of an audience, telling them the news of the day. Or, in this case, news of the past five months. He did a pretty good job of getting as much out of it, as possible. Of course I had a smirking chuckle over Jimmy Fallon not being banned from travelling to Russia. Even Russia thinks Fallon is a useless flyweight not worth being concerned with.

And I'm sure if he wanted to, he could have mentioned Nancy Reagan and cocaine, as if to say she was into "blow" again! (Get it? Blow? 'Cuz she was known in the past to give...ah, you already know!)

• Like 3

"I love the McCarthy hearings" XD. 

What even is that courtroom sketch from the Trump trial? 

I'm not even remotely surprised by those quotes from Trump about the soldiers. The Gold Star controversy when he was running in 2016, anyone? Really shouldn't be a shock to anyone. 

• Like 4

Okay, so, yeah, I never, under any circumstances, ever want to hear that hideous excuse for a Tom Petty cover ever again. Ever

Between the Trump stuff and everything with Gaetz...dear god. The stupid. It hurts my brain. 

• Like 2
19 hours ago, Annber03 said:

Okay, so, yeah, I never, under any circumstances, ever want to hear that hideous excuse for a Tom Petty cover ever again. Ever

I was so offended on Tom Petty's behalf.  Why do these folks do this?  It's like every election cycle there will be some conservative running for something or campaigning and then use a song by an artist they know would never authorize use of their material.  No, just no, people.

• Like 2
21 minutes ago, milkyaqua said:

I was so offended on Tom Petty's behalf.  Why do these folks do this?  It's like every election cycle there will be some conservative running for something or campaigning and then use a song by an artist they know would never authorize use of their material.  No, just no, people.

Right? There are musicians out there who do share their political backgrounds. Why don't they just go pick one of them instead? 

I knew they'd all be striving to be at the top of their game, so I recorded all the monologues from the four late night men for a few days.

I think it's obvious that Stephen Colbert has the best writers (plus he is, of course, very talented and skillful with his delivery.)

I am surprised to notice how much time Seth Meyers spends on self-deprecating snorts, or long pause + winking at the audience, or some other version of big raspberry admission that a joke fell flat.  His long-form Closer Look is brilliant, but the stand-alone jokes don't have a very high success rate.  (Weird, because I can identify five or six of his writers by name.  "Scollins!")

The Jimmies...    They seem nice.

• Like 2
11 hours ago, candall said:

I am surprised to notice how much time Seth Meyers spends on self-deprecating snorts, or long pause + winking at the audience, or some other version of big raspberry admission that a joke fell flat. 

Johnny Carson did a lot of that too.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
(edited)
14 hours ago, wonderwoman said:

may have missed it, but has there been any mention of where joe saylor is? 

Not sure where he was but he’s on tonight.

ETA: Stephen brought up that he was touring in Japan. Stephen was excited to have the whole band back tonight for the first time in six months!

Edited by saoirse
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Applause 1
19 hours ago, saoirse said:
On 10/10/2023 at 9:27 AM, wonderwoman said:

may have missed it, but has there been any mention of where joe saylor is? 

Not sure where he was but he’s on tonight.

ETA: Stephen brought up that he was touring in Japan. Stephen was excited to have the whole band back tonight for the first time in six months!

noticed that he was back. meant to post but the day got away from me. i thought he was with the band when the show came back on 10/2. must have been a short trip to japan.

• Like 1

I have listened to a few episodes of the Strike Force 5 podcast and Stephen had been telling about the code names he had in his phone for the other hosts there, so when he brought up the name he has for John Mulaney I was familiar with the concept but all I could think was that telling the entire world either defeats the purpose or forces him to go through and change all of the names, some of which are obviously clever and/or meaningful and therefore disappointing not to be able to use any more.

Mulaney's interview was more touching than funny but I did laugh very hard at the end to his story about watching very erotic scenes in a historical K-drama with Olivia's mother.

• Like 3

I’m way behind, but caught up now. I 🤣🤣🤣 at how Stephen tried but not succeeding at being jealous during the John Oliver interview, when John was telling him about attending some fund raiser I think it was, by George Clooney, and how Jon Stewart was there too, but Stephen hadn’t been invited.

I really want to see Jon, John, and Stephen together again.

43 minutes ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

Mulaney's interview was more touching than funny but I did laugh very hard at the end to his story about watching very erotic scenes in a historical K-drama with Olivia's mother

I was howling during that telling. And Malcolm is ADORBS!!!

I also want to adopt Cheeto!!

• Like 1
58 minutes ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

I have listened to a few episodes of the Strike Force 5 podcast and Stephen had been telling about the code names he had in his phone for the other hosts there, so when he brought up the name he has for John Mulaney I was familiar with the concept but all I could think was that telling the entire world either defeats the purpose or forces him to go through and change all of the names, some of which are obviously clever and/or meaningful and therefore disappointing not to be able to use any more.

Maybe I’m missing something obvious, but what is the damage if anyone else knows his code names in his phone for people? Unless someone steals his phone and hacks his access code, but even then…?

On the other hand, I’m not sure what the benefit is of having funny names for people, unless you just like to amuse yourself, or you’re some kind of comedian who would use it as a bit...  oh, yeah 

• Like 4
28 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

Maybe I’m missing something obvious, but what is the damage if anyone else knows his code names in his phone for people? Unless someone steals his phone and hacks his access code, but even then…?

On the other hand, I’m not sure what the benefit is of having funny names for people, unless you just like to amuse yourself, or you’re some kind of comedian who would use it as a bit...  oh, yeah

Yes. I suspect the code names were assigned before smart phones had access codes, and now they're just fun fodder.

• Like 2
On 10/14/2023 at 5:42 PM, SoMuchTV said:

On 10/14/2023 at 6:13 PM, shapeshifter said:

Yes. I suspect the code names were assigned before smart phones had access codes, and now they're just fun fodder.

Possibly also beneficial to anyone who sees the caller ID pop up during a meeting. I'm sure if he ducks out to take a call he'd rather have some network VP see the code name and assume he is talking to Steve Carell and not Mo Rocca....

• Like 2
On 10/14/2023 at 6:13 PM, shapeshifter said:

Even if the physical phone is secure and no one is looking over your shoulder, contacts and messages might be backed up on the cloud and could be hacked that way.

• Like 1

Looks like the show is a rerun tonight. Stephen must really feel lousy. I thought his voice was raspy last week. No word on tomorrow, I was really looking forward to seeing Talking Heads for the first time in many years! Fingers crossed that Colbert feels better 🤞

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1
  • Useful 1
1 hour ago, ebk57 said:

He is, indeed, taking tonight off.  Which is wise since he didn't sound so good last night.  Hope he feels better soon!

I just watched last night's show and was coming here to say that he really shouldn't have even tried.   Even if he hadn't told us he was sick it was more than obvious.  Go to bed and rest,  Stephen!

• Like 3
  • Fire 1
8 minutes ago, Laura Holt said:

Go to bed and rest,  Stephen!

This! It's been great to see him back, sure, but yeah, no need for him to push himself like that just to give us a show. I'm glad he's going to get some proper rest - hope he gets better soon. 

• Like 2