Type keyword(s) to search

LSSC: Season Nine Episode Talk

• Start Topic

When I heard Ruby Bridges was a guest, I thought it had to be some other Ruby Bridges, but when I realized it was actually HER, THE RUBY BRIDGES, I gave a shriek. I agree, more time would have been nice. Maybe she will turn up at other venues. If she has a book out, that seems likely. 

And it was nice to see Trevor Noah, also. I miss him. But I don't have any interest interest in the Grammy Awards.

• Like 3
34 minutes ago, DanaK said:

Stephen did one heck of a heartfelt tribute to Toby Keith; I hadn’t realized they were friends

I think he was tearing up at the end.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Love 2
13 hours ago, possibilities said:

I guess as long as you're nice to Stephen, it doesn't matter how shitty you are to other people.

the whole avoidance of the Chicks thing bothered me .   

• Like 2
9 hours ago, badgerwoman said:

the whole avoidance of the Chicks thing bothered me .   

I know what you mean... but she shot the first arrow. It got ugly, and Keith did eventually express regret that it went so far (from WashingtonPost.com:)

Mr. Keith later embarked on a high-profile feud with Natalie Maines, the lead singer of the Dixie Chicks (now known simply as the Chicks), who deemed his song “ignorant” and who sparked a backlash for publicly criticizing President George W. Bush and the impending 2003 invasion of Iraq. In response, Mr. Keith broadcast a doctored photo of Maines at his concerts, showing her embracing Saddam Hussein.

“That was funny for a night or two, and then it was a little over the top for me,” he told reporters at a roundtable event in October 2003, explaining that he was “embarrassed” about his role in the squabble. “She’s getting kicked enough without me piling on.”

Here's an article about the "feud":

https://people.com/toby-keith-and-chicks-natalie-maines-revisiting-their-2003-feud-8559657

• Like 1

Last night Stephen was unhappy that a big news story was expected today, when there is not a new LSSC scheduled for tonight.  What would it take to produce a new show with a day or two notice?  Probably not every staff member would be able to participate, but some could (given extra overtime pay).

• Like 1
56 minutes ago, Driad said:

Last night Stephen was unhappy that a big news story was expected today, when there is not a new LSSC scheduled for tonight.  What would it take to produce a new show with a day or two notice?  Probably not every staff member would be able to participate, but some could (given extra overtime pay).

Didn’t this happen once?

1 hour ago, Driad said:

might be a challenge to book an audience on such short notice. 

1 hour ago, opus said:

It’s “big news” but it also doesn’t feel like anything that can’t wait till Monday.

No new show on Monday - they are in repeats next week.  

• Useful 4
7 hours ago, zoey1996 said:

Does this show have a predictable rotation for new shows and re-runs?

I was initially surprised Colbert, Fallon, and Seth Meyers were off the entire week, but then I learned schools are closed this week too, so maybe they (but not Kimmel) follow the planned school closing schedule???

• Useful 2

They have several hours between recording and broadcast, right?  Why can't someone sync the closed captions with the audio?  Some viewers like to hear Stephen's voice but can't catch all the words, so we need the captions too.  The captions tend to be a sentence behind, which can be confusing.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1

Interesting that Stephen talked about a skit they did about Princess Kate being out of site and making a joke about her marriage before anyone knew of her cancer diagnosis and reiterated he doesn't make fun of people's health issues. However, he has more than once made fun of Mitch McConnell's short brain freezes, which bothers me

• Like 1

He also mocks Eric T. using a stereotypical caricature of a person who's developmentally disabled. 

---

This is the 2nd interview I've seen with Stephen Breyer where he dodged almost every question, didn't seem to want to say anything, and generally came across as a doofus. Very disappointing. The famously laconic Robert DeNiro is chattier.

If you don't want to do interviews, don't do them! If you do want to do them, have something prepared to say and learn how to do more than joke about how you aren't going to answer any questions people are actually interested in asking.

• Like 7

UGH, that Breyer 'interview', which wasn't much of an interview, really. The first segment was lots of word salad. Rarely have I heard someone talk so much, yet say so little. When Stephen said they had to take a break, I thought, great, maybe when Breyer returns, he'll have even less to say. The second half was him defending SCOTUS, I think; not sure, because again, talking a lot, saying virtually nothing. Stephen looked like he was getting a little impatient, himself, at times. Must be frustrating to have someone dance around every question you ask, and refuse to give a straight answer. 

I definitely won't be reading Breyer's book. judging from that interview, he has absolutely nothing to say.  

• Like 4
44 minutes ago, DXD526 said:

UGH, that Breyer 'interview', which wasn't much of an interview, really. The first segment was lots of word salad. Rarely have I heard someone talk so much, yet say so little. When Stephen said they had to take a break, I thought, great, maybe when Breyer returns, he'll have even less to say. The second half was him defending SCOTUS, I think; not sure, because again, talking a lot, saying virtually nothing. Stephen looked like he was getting a little impatient, himself, at times. Must be frustrating to have someone dance around every question you ask, and refuse to give a straight answer. 

I definitely won't be reading Breyer's book. judging from that interview, he has absolutely nothing to say.  

My guess:
Breyer got a warning from his book publisher’s publicist within 24 hours of that interview warning him not to talk about A, B, or C, which flustered him into word salad — ultimately being bad advice.

• Like 2

He was just as bland and incoherent on Meet The Press. I think it's just his idea of "judicial temperament". He thinks he's supposed to be neutral and he believes in the mystique around SCOTUS and is not used to talking to anyone who might directly challenge or ask HIM a question, rather than him doing all the probing.

I've seen other SCOTUS justices-- even one who are actually still on the bench, give far more interesting interviews. 

• Like 4
8 hours ago, DanaK said:

Interesting that Stephen talked about a skit they did about Princess Kate being out of site and making a joke about her marriage before anyone knew of her cancer diagnosis and reiterated he doesn't make fun of people's health issues. However, he has more than once made fun of Mitch McConnell's short brain freezes, which bothers me

When he started talking about it I thought he was going to make some kind of apology because apparently the show was sent some kind of legal notice. It was by the alleged woman Prince William was having an affair with. But he didn't reference that in his statement at all.

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, KaveDweller said:

When he started talking about it I thought he was going to make some kind of apology because apparently the show was sent some kind of legal notice. It was by the alleged woman Prince William was having an affair with. But he didn't reference that in his statement at all.

7 hours ago, possibilities said:

He also mocks Eric T. using a stereotypical caricature of a person who's developmentally disabled. 

This has always bothered me too. 
Comedians invariably cross lines they shouldn't, but when they double down on it, well….

• Like 3
On 3/26/2024 at 9:02 PM, KaveDweller said:

I'd take some of the British tabloids lambasting Stephen Colbert about his comments about the Princess of Wales a little more seriously if they weren't the same ones who hacked phones of celebrities, including members of the British royal family, and if they weren't the ones who have been spreading these rumors about William and his alleged affair all along.  

However, making jokes about a tabloid rumor and actually naming the supposed other woman is something that Stephen, or his staff, or people at CBS should have realized, "hey, this could get us sued."  

• Like 3
4 hours ago, Calvada said:

However, making jokes about a tabloid rumor and actually naming the supposed other woman is something that Stephen, or his staff, or people at CBS should have realized, "hey, this could get us sued."  

I’m pretty sure Stephen used “allegedly” or “supposedly” so his jokes would not be lawsuit fodder, making his sincere apologies directed exclusively to Kate a bit of a diss to anyone else trying to cancel him over what mostly amounted to a joke about spelling one of those overly long (Welsh?) names.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Calvada said:

I'd take some of the British tabloids lambasting Stephen Colbert about his comments about the Princess of Wales a little more seriously if they weren't the same ones who hacked phones of celebrities, including members of the British royal family, and if they weren't the ones who have been spreading these rumors about William and his alleged affair all along.  

British tabloids have very creepy obsession with the Royal family and they are also merciless in their attacks on various celebrities who have done nothing wrong and are just living their lives. I wouldn't take anything from them seriously.

On the other topic, I agree that Stephen's mocking of physical traits is over the line, regardless of the political leaning of the target. His comments about the presumed lack of parental love in this situation and the presumed resulting trauma also seem over the line for me. Once or twice was fine, but this looks too much like bullying.

• Like 3
4 hours ago, JustHereForFood said:

His comments about the presumed lack of parental love in this situation and the presumed resulting trauma also seem over the line for me. Once or twice was fine, but this looks too much like bullying.

In the instance to which you are referring, I only see it as over the line because it's tiresome and not funny. 

But yes, this is always true:

4 hours ago, JustHereForFood said:

I agree that Stephen's mocking of physical traits is over the line

It used to be acceptable to evaluate people's bodies. Mom and Dad would make remarks. 
My 35-year-old daughter had to retrain me. 
But for a comedian it is probably more difficult to draw the line?

17 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I’m pretty sure Stephen used “allegedly” or “supposedly” so his jokes would not be lawsuit fodder, making his sincere apologies directed exclusively to Kate a bit of a diss to anyone else trying to cancel him over what mostly amounted to a joke about spelling one of those overly long (Welsh?) names.

Yeah, I took it that way too.

• Like 2
7 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

But for a comedian it is probably more difficult to draw the line?

He's a professional. And he has editors. He wouldn't make a joke that violated his values in other areas because he doesn't know how to draw the line, and if he cared about the wrongness of mocking disabled people, he wouldn't have trouble drawing the line there, either.

• Like 2

Carol Burnett is a National Treasure! I loved the story about Elvis and her appearance on Carson! I do wish Stephen had shown clips from The Carol Burnett Show-like Miss Wiggins since they were talking about how she came to be; or her doing Gone with the Wind Having those curtain rods as part of her dress, and of course Eunice!🤣🤣🤣

• Like 8

Did anyone else think Gillian Anderson was acting a little odd from a few nights ago? At the very least, it seemed like she was flirting with Stephen (and he seemed to be flirting back)

3 hours ago, DanaK said:

Did anyone else think Gillian Anderson was acting a little odd from a few nights ago? At the very least, it seemed like she was flirting with Stephen (and he seemed to be flirting back)

Heh. Yeah. And Stephen mentioned (his wife) Evie was "right over there" and then Gillian admired (and imitated) Evie's wave. 
But we didn't see Evie, did we?
I wondered if it was a planned schtick Stephen and Gillian were doing, similar to what David Letterman and Julia Roberts used to do, although Stephen and Gillian's interactions were much more low key.

Gillian Anderson's face looks almost as luminous as when she was on the X-Files.

• Like 1
(edited)
15 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Heh. Yeah. And Stephen mentioned (his wife) Evie was "right over there" and then Gillian admired (and imitated) Evie's wave. 
But we didn't see Evie, did we?
I wondered if it was a planned schtick Stephen and Gillian were doing, similar to what David Letterman and Julia Roberts used to do, although Stephen and Gillian's interactions were much more low key.

Gillian Anderson's face looks almost as luminous as when she was on the X-Files.

Of course, maybe promoting her book on sexual thoughts was maybe making Stephen a little uncomfortable or nervous or maybe making Gillian a little nervous. It just had an odd, uncomfortable feel

The lady from Star Trek: Discovery though was a real pip. She was clearly a happy and excitable person, almost too excitable for the interview. It seemed Stephen had trouble keeping up with her. But it's nice to see a woman not worried about aging (for the moment anyway)

Edited by DanaK
50 minutes ago, DanaK said:

Of course, maybe promoting her book on sexual thoughts was

Oh, right. I forgot she was there to promote a sex book. That explains the "bit."
I'm now very sure they were just pantomiming Evie being in the wings so they could do the flirty bit to promote the book but keep Stephen true to Evie.

On 4/5/2024 at 8:42 AM, shapeshifter said:

I'm now very sure they were just pantomiming Evie being in the wings so they could do the flirty bit to promote the book but keep Stephen true to Evie.

I believe Evie is actually there for most, if not all the shows.

I came away from that interview thinking that Gillian and Eve could be besties—they have a similar vibe and Gillian seemed to light up a bit seeing her in the wings.

• Like 5
  • Love 1

I would totally adopt The Edge from the band U2 just 'cause of its name :D. 

But awww, all those cute dogs... And Daniel was a fun guest to help with that as well. He seems like such a lovely person. 

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1
(edited)

Thank you Stephen and Christiane 💔 I have been saying this for a long time. A lot of people who love performative activism 1) can't seem to comprehend nuance and 2) apparently can't care about more than one thing at a time and unfortunately, genocide happening in Ukraine is not trendy enough right now for many of them. GOP is blocking critical aid to Ukraine (that the US is bound to provide as per the Budapest Memorandum, but who cares) and it doesn't even seem like it's worth reporting. Fucking times we live in.

And she is 100% right in explaining how the rest of us are bewildered that a country (well, a political party) that has been such a strong fighter against communism and russian imperialism is so lax right now when it is the same evil we have to fight and why we are all worried about the possibility of a second term of the whiniest wannabe-dictator. Honestly, after time spent on the internet I am very pleasantly surprised that a reporter from American media gets it so much, it shows that she is actually listening to people from other countries and is able to understand points of view from different backgrounds which is not always the case. She's a good person and good journalist. 💗

Edited by JustHereForFood
edit: because she is not American
  • Like 5

watching sandra oh last night, those sleeves were sooo distracting i had no idea what they were talking about. reminded me of that old saying: she’s not wearing the dress; the dress is wearing her. 

• Like 1

I've always liked Christiane Amanpour whenever I've seen her in interviews, and I agree that the interview Stephen did with her was really well done. 

• Like 3