Type keyword(s) to search

LSSC: Season Nine Episode Talk

• Start Topic

39 minutes ago, mariah23 said:

And Jon Batiste was supposed to be on this week.

Isn't that now twice for him to be scheduled and then the show has to rerun since the strike ended? Oh well, third time's the charm.

• Like 2

Funny how the late night network shows think they have to cancel instead of having a substitute host. When Jon Stewart took time off the Daily Show for the birth of his child, they had other staffers host until he got back. I always think it shows a real insecurity that the other hosts don't let anyone take the chair for even a few days. 

• Like 2
  • Useful 2
53 minutes ago, possibilities said:

Funny how the late night network shows think they have to cancel instead of having a substitute host. When Jon Stewart took time off the Daily Show for the birth of his child, they had other staffers host until he got back. I always think it shows a real insecurity that the other hosts don't let anyone take the chair for even a few days. 

Oh that’s interesting, I hadn’t thought about that. Granted, in Jon Stewart’s case, he had a built in bench of correspondents to draw from. I remember enjoying John Oliver’s stint while Jon was working on his movie. But I’m old enough to remember Johnny Carson’s guest hosts. I don’t know if it’s insecurity or just that they hadn’t planned on this contingency. 

• Like 3
  • Useful 2

Dang, first another bout of COVID and now this? 

That sucks. I'm glad he's on the mend - wishing him a speedy recovery

Yeah, I don't know how much of that is a host decision and how much is a network decision. Maybe after all the debacle that came with Leno filling in back in the day, networks are a little nervous about trying that now. It might be easier for cable shows to do that than the ones that air on the major networks. 

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, possibilities said:

12 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

Oh that’s interesting, I hadn’t thought about that. Granted, in Jon Stewart’s case, he had a built in bench of correspondents to draw from. I remember enjoying John Oliver’s stint while Jon was working on his movie. But I’m old enough to remember Johnny Carson’s guest hosts. I don’t know if it’s insecurity or just that they hadn’t planned on this contingency. 

5 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

Yeah, I don't know how much of that is a host decision and how much is a network decision. Maybe after all the debacle that came with Leno filling in back in the day, networks are a little nervous about trying that now. It might be easier for cable shows to do that than the ones that air on the major networks. 

I think it's a little bit of both (unplanned absences and the desire to avoid creating a possible succession controversy) although I would like to point out that Jimmy Kimmel has used guest hosts. I do wonder how much of the move away from guest hosts, especially for unplanned breaks comes from the shift away from linear broadcast to internet clips of segments often tied strongly to the regular host? And many fewer live viewers meaning that there is not the same motivation to avoid reruns and lower ratings?

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
10 minutes ago, wknt3 said:

I think it's a little bit of both (unplanned absences and the desire to avoid creating a possible succession controversy) although I would like to point out that Jimmy Kimmel has used guest hosts.

kimmel takes off the entire summer, so guests hosts are scheduled in advance. little different when a host is suddenly unavailable. 

wonder what happened back in the day if carson was sick?

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

I'm sure they have people on staff who could do the job. The actual news shows have subs step in when the host is sick. Late night shows have an entire stable of funny people on staff who are in fact already familiar with the material, since they are writing it. They have writers writing what the regular host is going to say during the monologue and other bits, providing questions for guests, etc. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
20 hours ago, wonderwoman said:

wonder what happened back in the day if carson was sick?

There was guest hosts like Joan Rivers, David Brenner, Letterman, Joey Bishop, Bob Newhart, etc.  I seem to recall when Letterman was away one time that Elvis Costello hosted.

• Useful 1
4 hours ago, milkyaqua said:

I seem to recall when Letterman was away one time that Elvis Costello hosted.

Dave never had guest hosts...until his "heart attack".  There were a bunch of guest hosts during his recovery.  And after that, once in a while.  

Carson had tons of guest hosts.  The one time I went to the Tonight Show in person, Pat Sajak was hosting.  Ah well...timing is everything. 

I don't think Stephen has been away for a long enough consecutive stretch to consider guest hosts.  Until now.  And even now, it hasn't been weeks on end.  More like a week on, a week off.  Not really something one can plan.  Although I'm totally in favor of getting a guest host at this point.

Edited by ebk57
I should proofread before posting
  • Like 2
  • Useful 1
10 minutes ago, ebk57 said:

Carson had tons of guest hosts.

"…By August 1983, Carson established [Joan] Rivers as his first permanent guest host on The Tonight Show.…" (Wikipedia).
But then, 3 years later:

…In 1986, the move came that ended Rivers' longtime friendship with Johnny Carson. The soon-to-launch Fox Television Network announced that it was giving her a late night talk show, The Late Show Starring Joan Rivers, making Rivers the first woman to have her own late-night talk show on a major network.[59][60] The new network planned to broadcast the show 11 p.m. to midnight Eastern Time, making her a Carson competitor. Carson learned of the show from Fox and not from Rivers. In the documentary Johnny Carson: King of Late Night, Rivers said that she only called Carson to discuss the matter after learning that he may have already heard about it and that he immediately hung up on her. "And he never spoke to me again. He took it as a complete betrayal," said Joan. In the same interview, she said that she later came to believe that maybe she should have asked for his blessing before taking the job. Rivers was banned from ever appearing on The Tonight Show for the rest of Carson's tenure and the entire runs of Carson's first two successors Jay Leno and Conan O'Brien out of respect for Carson. Rivers did not appear on The Tonight Show again until February 17, 2014, at the age of 80, when she made a brief appearance on new host Jimmy Fallon's first episode.[61] On March 27, 2014, Rivers returned to the show for an interview.…

wikipedia.org/wiki/Joan_Rivers#1980s

But I don't think either Stephen or TPTB are worried about any similar brouhaha resulting from guest hosts.

It's likely just a budgetary issue. If it reaches a point of making more financial sense to get a temporary replacement, there will be one. 
I agree, it's different now with

On 11/27/2023 at 7:44 PM, wknt3 said:

… the shift away from linear broadcast to internet clips of segments often tied strongly to the regular host? And many fewer live viewers meaning that there is not the same motivation to avoid reruns and lower ratings?

I just hope Stephen is going to be okay. A ruptured appendix is very serious.
🙏📿❤️‍🩹

• Like 5

The only standins that I can imagine doing a monologue aligned with the show's raison d'etre are John Oliver or Trevor Noah.

Maybe they could be guest monologuers and then other guest hosts could do the interviews?
Or do guests have the option to postpone if Stephen isn't going to interview them, and, if so, would they?
If so, maybe TPTB are rustling up some potential substitute guests, but that might dilute the show's reputation.

Maybe Jon Stewart could do a monologue for the show, but his use of satire tends to confuse the late night watchers who are half asleep or tipsy and don't know him well. 
It's probably best if he just continues to live under Stephen's desk.❣️

But.
Again:
I just hope Stephen is going to be okay. A ruptured appendix is very serious.
🙏📿❤️‍🩹

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, DanaK said:

Stephen will be out another week to recover. I had a feeling he wouldn’t be back so soon. I would think a burst appendix would need more recovery time

https://ew.com/stephen-colbert-extends-late-show-hiatus-after-surgery-8410715

Based upon personal experience with other major abdominal surgeries and googling, I would assume Stephen needs a month to recover.
I'm surprised such a timeline has not yet been presumed and worked into the schedule with appropriate announcements made. 
But maybe they're doing laparoscopic (minimally invasive) surgery for ruptured appendix these days, thanks to tiny cameras?
IDK.
It is not comforting to be getting what seems to me to be at best unrealistic expectations, and, at worst, a state of denial from TPTB, which, for now, should not be Stephen.
🙏📿

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
11 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Based upon personal experience with other major abdominal surgeries and googling, I would assume Stephen needs a month to recover.
I'm surprised such a timeline has not yet been presumed and worked into the schedule with appropriate announcements made. 
But maybe they're doing laparoscopic (minimally invasive) surgery for ruptured appendix these days, thanks to tiny cameras?
IDK.
It is not comforting to be getting what seems to me to be at best unrealistic expectations, and, at worst, a state of denial from TPTB, which, for now, should not be Stephen.
🙏📿

A quick Google search indicates they can do lapro for a burst appendix but it depends

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

Welcome back, Stephen!

I have seen a lot of interviews with Liz Cheney already, so I didn't expect much from this one that I hadn't already seen. But, as it turns out, I was impressed by him pressing her more than anyone else I've seen, on why she thinks this is happening. 

• Like 3

Yeah, I'm glad he kept on about that. 

So good to see him back and doing better, too. His story about everything that happened from the night of his last taping before his time off was crazy - thank goodness things turned out okay in the end, and he had so many people there looking out for and helping him through all of that. I appreciate him giving them a shoutout. 

• Like 5

I'm pretty sure I saw Joe Saylor, The Late Show Band drummer, mouth the words to Stephen: "I'm so happy you're back."

Some good punchlines:

• "…just like Caesar, except history will never associate him with salad." 🥗  
    🤣
  • "You can see it all in the gripping war drama: 'Grabbing Ryan's Privates'"
    🤣

But I am concerned about his readiness to have returned so soon, given how he told how he performed for 2 nights while in excruciating pain.
Perhaps Evie was there in part to keep an eye on him. 
🙏📿

Just watched the interview.
Kind of like a friendly chess match, right?

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 7
10 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

But I am concerned about his readiness to have returned so soon, given how he told how he performed for 2 nights while in excruciating pain.
Perhaps Evie was there in part to keep an eye on him. 

Let this be a lesson to everyone, especially those who feel they can’t miss work, if you are in extreme pain and especially if it could be something like your appendix or your heart, your health takes priority. It was a dumb decision for him to keep working. I laughed when he talked about Evie first suggesting he should go to the hospital then calling back and telling him directly his driver was taking him there

• Like 4
  • Fire 1
  • Applause 1
10 minutes ago, DanaK said:

I laughed when he talked about Evie first suggesting he should go to the hospital then calling back and telling him directly his driver was taking him there

My mom and I were like, "I wonder how much she yelled at him for still trying to work through all of that?" :D. And she would've been right to do so if she had!

• Like 6
  • Applause 1
52 minutes ago, DanaK said:

Let this be a lesson to everyone, especially those who feel they can’t miss work, if you are in extreme pain and especially if it could be something like your appendix or your heart, your health takes priority. It was a dumb decision for him to keep working. I laughed when he talked about Evie first suggesting he should go to the hospital then calling back and telling him directly his driver was taking him there

40 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

My mom and I were like, "I wonder how much she yelled at him for still trying to work through all of that?" :D. And she would've been right to do so if she had!

I talked to my mom tonight and told her about how Evie was in the wings, clearly keeping her eye on Stephen (Mom adores Evie and Stephen). Yes, pretty sure she was there to keep him on track!

• Like 3
  • Fire 2

Awwwwwwww, that hug Stephen and Jon Batiste shared when he came out <3 :). God, I can't believe they've known each other nine years already. So nice to see him back and see he's doing so well. And I'm glad his wife's doing okay, too, and wish her well. His thing of writing music for her is so lovely. 

In other topics, boy, that Eric Adams comment was certainly...an answer. Loved the way Stephen made a running joke out of that up through the "Meanwhile" segment XD. 

• Like 2

I was very nervous that Andy Cohen kept coughing (or trying to stifle his cough) because all I could think was "COVID ALERT!"  Especially since Stephen is still recovering from a ruptured appendix.  

• Like 3
  • Useful 1

I wonder why he stopped the confessional bits he used to do. (Maybe too much in the news to talk about?)  My favorite was something like, "When I go to a jazz club, I sometimes applaud at random times to confuse people."

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

*Watches the opening bit in Stephen's monologue regarding my home state of Iowa*

*Sinks down in seat in embarrassment* 

I have nothing more to add beyond that, honestly. Well, except that I laughed way too hard at that "Three Blind Mice" joke during the science segment XD. 

• Like 2
  • Love 2

I thought Taylor Tomlinson did a good job. 

I was glad Stephen pointed out the cruelty of the animal experiments, but I also found it interesting about the mice passing the mirror test (and yes, the blind mice joke made me laugh-- the graphics were great; they looksed like thug mice!). I don't know why humans have such bizarrely low expectations of other species, though.

And Stephen obviously has a problem with cats. Sad.

• Like 2

Some great punchlines in the monologue etc.

I watched this morning on a ginormous size TV. 
Did anyone else see Stephen tearing up a bit when Taylor Tomlinson told him knowing everything about LOTR was "no ick"? 
So sweet. 
She was very quick and at ease. She's going to be great. 

• Like 1

I don't know if they're all slap happy from being exhausted coming back from LA, but Tuesday's monologue and the Cyborgasm segment were hilarious. 

And the clip of Dick Morris and whoever the fuck that guy in his underpants was. 

I had to rewind and watch again. To be sure I wasn't hallucinating. 

• Like 4
  • LOL 1

I always love Meanwhile.  Sometimes the monologue and first desk segment are all I watch. If it's guests I'm not particularly interested in. 

I do love when Evie is on.  

I'm kind of surprised it took this long for "Kum and Go" to realize how double entendre heavy that name is.  And why spell Come like that?  Is this company run by a bunch of 12 year old boys?  

• Like 3
7 hours ago, SeanBug said:

I'm kind of surprised it took this long for "Kum and Go" to realize how double entendre heavy that name is. 

LOL, I thought the same thing, 'cause those stores had been around for as long as I can remember - and I was born in the early 1980s :p. 

I don't know about other parts of the Midwest, but the stores we had here in my town have since changed their name to YesWay, which...just sounds stupid :p. 

37 minutes ago, Annber03 said:
7 hours ago, SeanBug said:

I'm kind of surprised it took this long for "Kum and Go" to realize how double entendre heavy that name is. 

LOL, I thought the same thing, 'cause those stores had been around for as long as I can remember - and I was born in the early 1980s :p. 

I don't know about other parts of the Midwest, but the stores we had here in my town have since changed their name to YesWay, which...just sounds stupid :p. 

From Wikipedia:

It was a play on the phrase "come and go" using the initials of founders Krause and Gentle.

• Useful 2