Type keyword(s) to search

Season 40 Final Jeopardy Contest

Clanstarling
  • Start Topic

The week started off so well... I had 3/3* after Wed's show... and then major fizzle.

3/5*

I'm bringing freshly made rhubarb/strawberry custard tarts (if Mr Bliss doesn't eat them all).

• Like 2
  • Applause 2
  • Love 1

Week 36:  2/5, 1*.  I suspect our table will be drinking ginger ale while we read from A Christmas Carol.

Not great, I should have been able to dredge up Mystic River, but I cheer myself up when I realize I got three FJ's in a row on Masters this week, including a TS.

• Like 2
  • Applause 2

Week 36: 1/5  0*   Overall: 87/180  9*     In honor of my 1 (thanks Scrooge!), I'll bring Figgy Pudding---no idea what it is, but I think it's "Christmassy".

• Like 2
  • LOL 3
  • Love 1
23 hours ago, Bliss said:

I'm bringing freshly made rhubarb/strawberry custard tarts (if Mr Bliss doesn't eat them all).

[googles] Ooo! Yum!
134397325.jpg?tr=w-800,h-450,fo-face
In the 70s with no running water and only a wood-fired cook stove I made a pie of fresh rhubarb and rehydrated dried organic apricots, sweetened with honey.
I was told by one person that it was the best pie he'd ever had.
But it was a fluke in my history of desultory culinary skills, and I prefered cleaning to baking, which only annoyed him.

19 hours ago, illdoc said:

Week 36: 1/5  0*   Overall: 87/180  9*     In honor of my 1 (thanks Scrooge!), I'll bring Figgy Pudding---no idea what it is, but I think it's "Christmassy".

19 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Here's a recipe for the kind of Christmas pudding Mrs. Cratchit would have made.

https://www.inliterature.net/by-author/charles-dickens/2012/12/a-christmas-carol-steamed-christmas-pudding.html

I'd happily have some of Mrs. Cratchit's figgy pudding:

A-Christmas-Carol-Christmas-Pudding-Food
inliterature.net/by-author/charles-dickens/2012/12/a-christmas-carol-steamed-christmas-pudding.html

But I long for this version too, although I'd want to double the chocolate:
foodviva.com/pudding-recipes/figgy-pudding

• Like 3
  • Love 2

3/5 with an asterisk. (Scrooge, Canada Dry, Mystic River). I was going to  bring the Mystic pizza, but it looks like that’s already covered. So instead I’ll bring the… 

IMG_0553.jpeg.66e20cb8c3de19c41d6527a5a4d6490c.jpeg

…along with a little whiskey to make it palatable. Salut!

• Like 4
  • Applause 2

3/5 with no *.  I got Tiber, Scrooge and Mystic River.  I knew who it was meant to be with Princip but could not summon up the name. 

I would like to say that I didn't get the * because I declare and avow Vernors as the one true ginger ale but really it was, I just didn't get the answer right.  

• Like 1
  • Applause 4

Week 36, 3/5, no *. I also should get points deducted from my to-date total as a penalty for not getting Mystic River, growing up near Boston as I did...

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1
  • Applause 2
On 5/20/2024 at 9:46 AM, secnarf said:

1/5 (Scrooge), since "the guy who killed Franz Ferdinand" doesn't count ;)

That was my answer too! 😄

• Like 1

Week 37: 3/5 (The Shining, Sea of Galilee, and Beowulf)
YTD: 91/185 (49%) with 7*

In honor of Beowulf I shall bring mead🍺(even though I'm pretty sure I wouldn't drink it) and this episode of Tasting History on the subject.

And because I wasn't sure: 

Since there are no mentions of "Vikings" in the text, it's hard to say for sure that Beowulf is a Viking. As is clear from the poem, Beowulf's world is not a single, unified culture. There are many tribes, sharing general characteristics, each with its own separate culture and history. For the modern reader, it's fair to consider Beowulf a Viking, although Beowulf would consider himself a Geat.

https://www.enotes.com/topics/beowulf/questions/is-beowulf-a-viking-2515961

• Like 3
  • Applause 3
(edited)

Week 37:  4/5. (M, T, W, Th)

I'm still hunting the elusive (for me, at least) 5/5. Damn you, Beowulf!

A good week, nonetheless. 

Edited by ProudMary
Because this was week 37, not 36!
  • Like 3
  • Applause 4

Week 37: 2/5

Hah, I just noticed my 2 FJ gets tell a slightly apocryphal Judeo Christian story:

12 Angry Men and the Sea of Galilee

Let's all sit around a campfire eating freshly caught fish where we don't have to worry about cooking odors lingering.

• Like 4
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 2

I finally achieved my first 5/5. 

The first four I thought were pretty easy and then I figured I wouldn't know Friday's - I didn't know it for  sure but I thought Beowulf was a pretty good guess - and it was!

• Fire 3
  • Applause 7

I just had a bad week. Went to the archive and got 0/5. 
Oh well, looking forward next week will be better. 
Great job for those that got 5/5 👏🏻👏🏻

• Like 1
  • Hugs 3
  • Love 1

Week 37 – May 20 – No Asterisk
181.     THE THEATER - Of the 14 roles in a production of this play that opened on Broadway on October 28, 2004, none were played by females (12 Angry Men)
182.     THE MOVIES - Louise & Lisa Burns, twins featured in this 1980 film, told a magazine, "We're naturally spooky!" (The Shining)
183.     COUNTRIES' LANGUAGES - About 70% of its people can speak Portuguese; about 20% can speak Umbundu, 8% Kikongo & 8% Kimbundu (Angola)
184.     ARTWORK - Rembrandt's only seascape is set here, where the main figure once said, "Why are ye fearful, O ye of little faith?" (The Sea of Galilee)
185.     LITERATURE - Preserved in a single manuscript called Cotton MS Vitellius A XV, this epic begins with the word "Hwaet", often translated as listen. (Beowulf)

Big week for me, I got 4/5! Highly unusual.

• Like 1
  • Fire 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Applause 4
(edited)
16 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Week 37: 3/5 (The Shining, Sea of Galilee, and Beowulf)
YTD: 91/185 (49%) with 7*

In honor of Beowulf I shall bring mead🍺(even though I'm pretty sure I wouldn't drink it) and this episode of Tasting History on the subject.

And because I wasn't sure: 

My daughter brought home some Honey Mead, and it was pretty good as a sipping drink. (in a shot glass, anyway)

PS - not a drinker, the shot glasses were from my parents' wedding some 60+ years ago, and are gorgeous.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Like 2
  • Love 2
18 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

PS - not a drinker, the shot glasses were from my parents' wedding some 60+ years ago, and are gorgeous.

I'm not a drinker, either, but I have several souvenir shot glasses from various places. They don't take up much space (just looked at my shelf; I have nine), but I've switched to getting refrigerator magnets instead, because they take up even less.

• Like 3
  • Wink 1

3/5.

I didn’t believe two of my correct FJ answers were right but I went with them anyway because I couldn’t think of anything else. It’s good to know that my subconscious is smarter than I thought.

• Like 1
  • Wink 1
  • Applause 2

This week was a shutout for me in regular J!, although I did have better luck with the Masters' Tournament.

0/5

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1
  • Applause 1
1 hour ago, secnarf said:

This week was a shutout for me in regular J!, although I did have better luck with the Masters' Tournament.

0/5

So you're just too smart for regular Jeopardy!
The "burden of knowledge." 😉🥰

• Like 2
  • Applause 4
  • LOL 2
4 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Two for me.  DublStuff Oreos for everyone.

Oh, good, I'm almost out. (Had some before and one of the cookies was on backwards! 😄)

• Like 2
  • Mind Blown 1

2/5 (12 Angry Men and The Shining) - then my brain went somewhere else for the rest of the week.  If it went on vacation and didn't take me, I will be very cranky!

• Like 2
  • Wink 1
  • LOL 1
7 hours ago, Grundoon59 said:

I will be very cranky!

But will you be as angry as 12 men?

4/5 this week, which for me is crazy good. The only one I missed was Angola.

I will let them make it up to me with a generous portion of Funge, a porridge made of cassava flour that appears to be the national dish. Apparently it pairs well with seafood, so we can serve it alongside Shapeshifter's campfire fish.

download(1).jpg.d2c2f01c37d4fbd86958554deae944b8.jpg

• Like 1
  • Applause 4
  • LOL 1