Type keyword(s) to search

Season 40 Final Jeopardy Contest

Clanstarling
  • Start Topic

7 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

For some reason, I associate Kahuna with Kahlua, so now I'm craving a White Russian beverage.  Wasn't that what The Dude drinks? I can abide that. hahaha

image.png.5ecc28f7a5ec0f228071ac5e424d99da.png

• Like 4
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Good Queen Jane said:

1/5, no*.

I feel like an underachiever this week, but good for the rest of you! I’ll bring pizza for the only FJ I got right.

Cowabunga!

• LOL 5

WEEK 34 (29 APR): 4/5, one *.

G-ddamn Macarena. That shit was so big it became a staple of every DJ/MC, enough so that TWO YEARS LATER in 1998 when I was turning 13 and it was my Bar/Bat Mitzvah season, I couldn't go to a damn one of things w/o the DJ cajoling kids out onto the dance floor to do it. The 90's were a fucking trip.

• Like 1
  • Fire 1
  • Applause 3

1/5.  Adolescent stealthy turtles.  I'm just slooowly working my way back from the TOC desert.

So, how about some homemade turtle candies?

turtles.jpg.67794c16cdd832a1a37cd5b50f0a6195.jpg

• Like 2
  • Love 6

Late to the party...Week 34: 2/5 0*  Overall: 82/170 9*    To make up for my tardiness, I'll bring the Omaha Steaks I just picked up (someone will have to cook them, however).

• Like 4
  • Applause 2

Week 35:  4/5    0*  Overall:  86/175  9*  In honor of my 1 miss this week (a TS), I will bring an Opera Cake.

• Like 1
  • Applause 4

Week 35: 3/5
YTD: 87/175 (50%) with 7*

I got some huge potatoes this week. One of them was enough for three servings, even after removing a bad spot from the middle. So I'll bring mashed potatoes.

image.png.c12cce58b3854bd1fefc55a14804be47.png

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 3

Oh dear.
I just realized I had "Week 31" twice, which threw off the numbering of weeks 33 and 34 too.
Sorry, @Clanstarling!

Here are my corrections along with this week:

Week 31: 0/5 (the real Week 31)

Week 32: 2/5 

Week 33: 1/5 

Week 34: 3/5 with 1* 

Week 35: 1/5 (Cabbage Patch Kids Dolls)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Week 35 – May 6 – One Asterisk
171.     HISTORIC GROUPS - Like their uniform, the flag of this group created in 1506 has stripes of red, blue & yellow, the colors of the Medici family (The Swiss Guard)
172.     FAMOUS CHARACTERS - She's introduced in an 1845 novella in which she wears a short skirt with her mantilla thrown back to show her shoulders (Carmen)
173.     *RHYME TIME: OPERA VERSION -Telling the story of a duke, a jester & the jester's daughter, it was written by poet Francesco Maria Piave (the Rigoletto Libretto)
174.     1980s FADS - A November 29, 1983 N.Y. Times article about these used "near-riot", "adoptable", "waiting for 8 hours" & "my life (is) in danger" (Cabbage Patch Kids)
175.     20th CENTURY BOOKS - A review said this 1966 book about real events "will cause a good deal of myopic squabbling about just what a novel is" (In Cold Blood)

• Thanks 3
  • Love 1

Week 35: 3/5, no *. (Wednesday I had "Rigoletto" but no libretto so no point, but that evening I got the "Pirates of Penzance" FJ in Masters, so not a complete washout opera-wise.)
YTD: 117/175, 16 *.

• Like 3
  • Applause 2

2/5 0*

I got Swiss Guard and Cabbage Patch Kids.  Should have got In Cold Blood but did not.

• Like 6
  • Hugs 1
6 minutes ago, Trey said:

2/5 0*

I got Swiss Guard and Cabbage Patch Kids.  Should have got In Cold Blood but did not.

Exactly the same!

I'll join you at the 2/5 table... not sure what to bring this time - maybe some double decker sandwiches?

• Like 4
  • Love 2
4 minutes ago, Bliss said:

not sure what to bring this time - maybe some double decker sandwiches?

Sounds good! I'll bring some Strubs kosher dill pickles to accompany the sandwiches.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Trey said:

2/5 0*

2 hours ago, Bliss said:

Exactly the same!

I'll join you at the 2/5 table... not sure what to bring this time - maybe some double decker sandwiches?

Same here.  Save me a seat.

• Like 2
  • Applause 3

3/5 with the *

It helped that my neighbor has a huge poster of this in his garage that I see every time we go somewhere together. 

I’ll bring some strawberry milkshakes. The you pick them place is open and they are really good this year. 

• Like 1
  • Fire 1
  • Applause 2

4/5, with the *. Yes, somehow I, a child of the 80's, missed the Cabbage Patch clue but managed to stumble upon Rigoletto Libretto at the last possible second.

• Mind Blown 1
  • Applause 5
On 5/10/2024 at 5:58 PM, shapeshifter said:

Oh dear.
I just realized I had "Week 31" twice, which threw off the numbering of weeks 33 and 34 too.
Sorry, @Clanstarling!

Here are my corrections along with this week:

Week 31: 0/5 (the real Week 31)

Week 32: 2/5 

Week 33: 1/5 

Week 34: 3/5 with 1* 

Week 35: 1/5 (Cabbage Patch Kids Dolls)

No worries, I'm glad you sent me the corrections - minor though they were.

On 5/11/2024 at 6:35 AM, Trey said:

2/5 0*

I should have too - I read the book when I was a young teen, and it made a huge impact on me. To this day, I keep my doors locked.

20 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

3/5 with the *

It helped that my neighbor has a huge poster of this in his garage that I see every time we go somewhere together. 

I’ll bring some strawberry milkshakes. The you pick them place is open and they are really good this year. 

That sounds so good. I love strawberries, but the ones in the stores are often not the best. Don't really have the space to grow them here. :(

2/5 this week. No asterisk. I  thought Rigoletto Libretto was pretty hard. Maybe the clue snuck in from the TOC. 😉

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Sorry - I just realized I never sent in week 34.  I was 3/5 with the * (which was totally a lucky guess of the "I don't know what to say, so here goes nothing" variety).  For week 35, same score 3/5 but no *. 

• Thanks 1
  • Applause 3

image.png.56b0e0272a0310ff1647d6e1166a2d11.png

All you need is a strawberry pot; they don't take up much room.

57 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

That sounds so good. I love strawberries, but the ones in the stores are often not the best. Don't really have the space to grow them here.

• Like 4
  • Useful 2

2/5 this week. 3/5 if you give credit for Pope Posse. Otherwise, it's just those Cold-Blooded Cabbage Patch Kids.

cabbage.thumb.jpg.6988f79a8b57854ab091fef2b7f44aa1.jpg

Is anyone else getting some real Motel Hell vibes here?

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 1
  • LOL 7
1 hour ago, 30 Helens said:

Is this where old Cabbage Patch dolls go to "die" (or be reborn 😳) when their adoptive child-parents grow up?

• Like 1
  • LOL 3
19 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

2/5 this week. 3/5 if you give credit for Pope Posse. Otherwise, it's just those Cold-Blooded Cabbage Patch Kids.

As much as I love Pope Posse, I have to say no. Sorry.

Week 36: 1/5
(thanks to the Wednesday gimmee of Ebeneezer Scrooge)

31 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

I will bring one (1) cookie.

image.png.ead2a737f6b9166efa15b4d101bb1ca1.png

In case we're gonna need a lot of these 👆
I brought👇

4aae909eab1b0eeba0c2550a9eece323.jpg

• Like 2
  • Applause 3
42 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

(thanks to the Wednesday gimmee of Ebeneezer Scrooge)

That's the one I got, too.

• Like 2
  • Wink 1

Week 36 – May 13 – One Asterisk
176.     CINEMA HISTORY - Films made outside the U.S. in the '50s like "3 Coins in the Fountain" & "Quo Vadis" led to an era dubbed "Hollywood on" this river (the Tiber)
177.     *BUSINESS LOGOS - Early 1900s labels for this beverage brand featured a beaver sitting on a log at the top of a map (Canada Dry)
178.     19th CENTURY LITERARY CHARACTERS - John Elwes, a millionaire Member of Parliament who would go to bed before dusk to save on candles, inspired this character (Scrooge)
179.     THE EARLY 20th CENTURY - Before entering history, this man visited the grave of Bogdan Zerajic, who had died just a few years earlier (Princip)
180.     BOOK & MOVIE TITLE REFERENCES - The title of this 2001 book, also a 2003 film, forms a partial border between Boston, Chelsea, Medford & Everett (Mystic River)

• Thanks 3
  • Love 1