Type keyword(s) to search

Season 40 Final Jeopardy Contest

Clanstarling
  • Start Topic

I’m gutted about Saber. She loved pecan pralines and I used to mail her a box every time I went to New Orleans. Next time I’ll eat one in her honor. We shared a love of horses as well. 

2/5 this week.
I’ll bring pralines for all of us to nibble when we toast her memory. 

• Like 1
  • Hugs 4
  • Fire 2
  • Love 2

3/5 for this week.

To celebrate such an awesome accomplishment (LOL), I made a Christmas tiramisu. Raspberries, mascarpone, whipped cream and I use homemade shortbread for the base. It is totally decadent and delicious!

p.s. Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all xo

• Fire 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Applause 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, ams1001 said:

Don't know if they'll stay that way, but I like the blue heart, just because it's my favorite color; I kind of prefer the old laugh, though...this one just doesn't fit the style of the rest.)

Maybe it’s just because I’m used to it, but I prefer the red heart. A blue heart seems colder, somehow. I’m with you on the laugh, though. It looks maniacal.

2/5 for me (Stethoscope and Churchill).

Happy Holidays to everyone here! I would like to offer some of my favorite snowball cookies, which are delicious no matter what you celebrate.

IMG_0513.jpeg.b6611d6e1d27e856ed5a295bd5e7ba6e.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 1
15 hours ago, j5cochran said:

Week fifteen: three of five with no asterisk.  I'll bring hash brown casserole; I'm feeling rather funereal with the loss of Saber.

For some reason I'm missing your score for week 14, I looked for a post, but it might have been eaten by the update (as I have a score for 13 and don't see a post for that).

So far no one has an asterisk - that was one seriously difficult FJ. It never occurred to me there'd be an Opera for Dead Man Walking.

3/5 for me this week.

I'll bring some sparkling wine to toast Saber.

• Hugs 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

For some reason I'm missing your score for week 14, I looked for a post, but it might have been eaten by the update (as I have a score for 13 and don't see a post for that).

So far no one has an asterisk - that was one seriously difficult FJ. It never occurred to me there'd be an Opera for Dead Man Walking.

3/5 for me this week.

I'll bring some sparkling wine to toast Saber.

Week fourteen: two of five with no asterisks. I'll bet the original message got eaten by the update.

• Applause 1
  • Useful 1

Week 15:  2/5, no *.  But at least I had a guess for the TS FJ!  Fine, it was wrong, but at least I came up with something, which is more than the contestants did.

Speaking of contestants, they were 8/15 this week, so they still beat me.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1

3/5, M-Tu-F, so no *. 

I have a friend who's been in dog agility for years, and I mentioned him to Saber, and she said their paths had crossed a few times. So we had that one degree of separation! Like others here, I'd been wondering why I hadn't heard from her in a while. Such sad news 😢

• Like 2
  • Hugs 2
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1

I have a FB friend - a guy I knew in high school - and I hadn't heard from him in a while. He didn't answer my DMs, so I contacted another guy that was his best friend (coincidentally, a dog trainer!) and he said that Bill had died after a brief, escalating illness last month. Damn.

Perhaps we all need to be sure we each have someone who will notify our social media friends if anything dire happens to us.

• Like 3
  • Hugs 4
  • Useful 1

3/5 with one *.  I started slow (could not get my brain to work fast enough to get Monday or Tuesday) but made it through the rest of the week with lucky guesses.  I think I heard about the Dead Man Walking opera production on some news source (probably NPR) and I couldn't think of anything else that fit.

Not sure what to offer up food wise - I agree that comfort food sounds good - I did thaw some homemade apple sauce that I made earlier in the fall - glad to share.  

• Thanks 2
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1

I made a chocolate milkshake and threw in some frozen cherries. 
Fruit makes it good for you, right?

image.png.4e89e294ca1454762bb56bc1e5c1a09f.png

Okay, mine didn't look this fancy (I actually ate it out of a bowl with a spoon cuz it was quite thick) but I've still got the blender out...

Edited by ams1001
  • Like 5
  • LOL 3

4/5 for me this week, Monday, Tuesday,Thursday and Friday.

I thought I had 3/5 this week so decided to bring my homemade cloverleaf rolls; turns out I had 4/5 but I'll still bring the cloverleaf rolls because they are very good.

Happy New Year, everyone!

• Like 2
  • Fire 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Applause 1

Week 16 – Dec 25  No Asterisks
76.     FAMOUS NAMES IN AMERICA - The name of this animal that died in 1885 after being struck by a train that subsequently derailed lives on as an adjective (Jumbo)
77.     BOOK CHARACTERS - Early on in a 1966 novel, this title character beats the protagonist in maze races; later on he bites him (Algernon)
78.     AMERICANA - After "Black Monday" in 1987, sculptor Arturo Di Modica put a statue of one of these in Manhattan to symbolize strength & power (a bull)
79.     THOSE ZANY ANCIENT ROMANS - In the 20s B.C. the emperor's sister Octavia had a sitcom-worthy home including the boy & girl twin children of this man & woman (Antony & Cleopatra
80.     FAMOUS NAMES - In 2023, shortly after his death, his name was added to a Brazilian dictionary to describe one who's superior or out of the ordinary (Pele)

• Thanks 4

Week 16:  3/5 (W, Th, F)

Between the Wall Street bull and the superior Brazilian, the week screams BEEF to me. I'll bring some Brazilian steak with Chimichurri sauce to the table. (I'll keep the sauce on the side for those who experience the soapy taste from cilantro.)

Happy New Year to all my fellow Jeopardy! fans! 🎉

Screenshot_20231230_154348_DuckDuckGo.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 2
2 minutes ago, Driad said:

Thank you.  Maybe some of us can make cilantro-free sauce.

Truthfully, I'm not a huge fan of Chimichurri, but I wanted to stretch the Brazilian theme beyond just the beef. Alternate steak sauces are a great idea!

Of course, I'll have to leave room for the beef as I'm definitely chowing down on the Margherita pizza you're bringing. 😉

• Like 4

3 1/2 (Jumbo, Bull, Cleopatra, Pele)

Yes, I know my 1/2 won't count.

Hope everyone likes individual cheesecakes, topped with real whipped cream. I'll take the calories out before serving. ;-)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Love 1
36 minutes ago, Bliss said:

Hope everyone likes individual cheesecakes, topped with real whipped cream. I'll take the calories out before serving. ;-)

I've got plenty of frozen cherries...I can make some cherry topping (my favorite kind of cheesecake).

• Like 3
  • Love 1
18 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Special thank you💓 to @Clanstarling for continuing to oversee this thread — a source of comfort to all participants.

You're very welcome. It's a source of comfort to me as well, and is one of only two forums I'm particularly active on these days (the other is Jeopardy).  I've worked out the kinks (I think) so it's a lot easier than last year.

16 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Two for me this past week. I'm too disheartened after hearing about Saber and now Tommy Smothers, my first TV Boyfriend, has left the planet. I'm going back to bed with the covers pulled over my head.

I still remember seeing Tommy and Dickie live. Their opening act was a new singer just starting to make the rounds - Olivia Newton John. It was also the first particularly fancy/expensive date I had. I was in my teens (still makes me old though.) The guy was cute and nice, but wanted 10 children on some hill in the midwest, so I passed on him.

I thought Tommy didn't get as much "ink" as others who've passed, and I'm a bit peeved about it. The Smothers Brothers were our family's favorite - and we (still) quote their bits. They are our only childhood favorite comedians that are non-controversial (for us) these days.

2/5 this week.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Like 8
  • Applause 1
  • Love 2
21 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

The Smothers Brothers were our family's favorite - and we (still) quote their bits.

The "vicious pumas", and the song that never got past the first verse, Boil That Cabbage Down.  So many great lines from that show, and yes, "Mom always liked you best" is a classic.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

When the Smothers Brothers had Harry Belafonte on, they introduced him with "Here's the group you have always heard about -- Tom, Dick, and Harry!"

• Fire 1
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 9
  • Love 1

4/5 - I couldn't come up with Algernon.  It was a very popular book (and movie) in my young years but I must confess I never read/watched it.  Answer made perfect sense when I saw it but I got nowhere near it.  

Sounds like all the yummy parts of the meal are covered so I will bring a green salad with my my favorite creamy vidalia onion dressing (I promise it is not too oniony). 

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1