Type keyword(s) to search

The View: Week of 9/4/2023

falltime
  • Start Topic

Season 27 returns September 5.

I haven't found next week's schedule yet. Abc website and Abc news pr haven't post a schedule. The View's ticket website only lists Reneé Rapp.

Monday September 4 - rerun

Tuesday September 5 -

Wednesday September 6 - Performance by Reneé Rapp

Thursday September 7 -

Friday September 8 -

I'll update if a schedule gets posted.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Useful 1

EGAD, Sunny...knower of all current media.  There are "no performers" at BURNING MAN?  Just because your favorite performers are those you can mention on social media doesn't mean they're the ONLY performers.  BURNING MAN is extremely performanced-based.

JOY.  It's not only young weirdos who attend BURNING MAN (although there are plenty).  There all ages, all economic groups.  One of my cousins in his early 70s and a friend bought an old RV several years ago SPECIFICALLY outfitted for their Burning Man experiences.  My cousin told me he would not be going this year, so I commented on Facebook that I bet he's glad he made that choice.  Two of his brothers responded:  HE'S THERE!

My cousin is a popular "ordained" minister who has provided several "Elvis" marriages at Burning Man over the years.

One more thing for all those "poop worriers" on The View.  Here are Burning Man's 10 Principles.  I know my cousin and his friends abide by them.

The 10 Principles of Burning Man, enshrined in 2004, include, “participation,” “civic responsibility,” “communal effort,” and “leaving no trace,” which means, “we clean up after ourselves and endeavor, whenever possible, to leave such places in a better state than when we found them,” according to the festival website.

This year will definitely be different.  No one expects the Spanish Inquisition the horrible weather and following conditions that happened this year in the desert.  If Hot Topics are to be believed, perhaps someone with Burning Man experience can be allowed to address the concerns of the co-hosts.

Me?  I'm 83 and never felt fit enough to attend (I have been invited).  I've looked at videos and hundreds of photos.  SO MUCH UNIQUE FUN!

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 2

Okay, one more thing.  What a refreshing first show.  Why?  NO WHOOPI.

• No one 'splaining why they have no "scripts," ... the Writers/Actors Strike.  It was not mentioned once (that I recall).
  • No constant pontificating/interrupting with, "The thing is..."  Everyone got to speak as long as she wanted...say things that might be disagreeable--but no one was attacked.   Beautiful Tuesday!!!   Joy has always been a good moderator and intermediator.
  • Like 11
  • Applause 4
  • Love 2
13 hours ago, Grammy6 said:

I watched it on Spectrum live today.  Going forward, I hope the person who wrote it wouldn't be shown on Spectrum is wrong.

I think it depends who you get your local channels through and where you are. I'm with AT&T in the Sacramento area and we haven't had Fox (local only) for the same amount of time but ABC has been fine yet if I go to the channel there is a message showing that says I can get Fox/ABC/ESPN etc through other means so everywhere is different.

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, Haleth said:

Loved the mic drop when Alyssa was spouting her agist bigotry and Joy reminded her she’s the same age as Mitch McConnell. 

I haven't watched yet so I don't know what was said but the fact that Joy is the same age as Mitch shows how differently people age. Both Mitch M & Diane F need to give it up sooner rather than later but I get the feeling he will hang on to his power until they carry him out on a gurney. 

• Like 12
1 hour ago, Haleth said:

Loved the mic drop when Alyssa was spouting her agist bigotry and Joy reminded her she’s the same age as Mitch McConnell. 

I haven't seen the show yet, but in general when talking about jobs that involve a lot more responsibility, it makes sense to have older workers demonstrate that they can still fill the requirements without too much outside assistance. Should an 80+ year old firefighter still be going into burning buildings, or should an 80+ surgeon be operating without either of these people showing that the effects of age or illness haven't caused their abilities to diminish? 

Think about older drivers who make simple but dangerous mistakes like pushing the accelerator instead of the brake and putting people at risk. Should we just let them go on because it would be agist to require them to show they can still be responsible?

Just because Joy can work 4 or 5 days a week for a couple of hours per day doesn't mean that she would be able to work in Government, especially as the Minority Leader in the Senate. She can do this job adequately, but whether she could handle anything that requires more stamina or mental acuity hasn't been shown.

Anyone, regardless of age, who can't show they can fulfill the requirements and responsibilities of a challenging job (particularly one that affects the lives of so many people) should be asked to resign.

• Like 6
  • Applause 1
2 hours ago, Haleth said:

I haven't watched the show yet but I don't think believing McConnelll  should step down because he is clearly showing his age is ageist.

1 hour ago, KittyQ said:

She can do this job adequately, but whether she could handle anything that requires more stamina or mental acuity hasn't been shown.

We were witness to Barbara Walters IMO staying at the table too long.  Joy is doing fine but I think if she felt like she was getting too old she would leave.  

• Like 9
2 hours ago, KittyQ said:

Should an 80+ year old firefighter still be going into burning buildings, or should an 80+ surgeon be operating without either of these people showing that the effects of age or illness haven't caused their abilities to diminish? 

Or a jet pilot piloting a commercial jet at 80.  There are age limits for commercial pilots for good reason. 

Joy sits and gives her opinion on various topics.  She doesn't drive large machinery for a living, she doesn't perform surgery, and she doesn't vote on important laws that affect the population of the country.  She sits and talks.  So comparing her to Mitch McConnell is apples and oranges.

Edited by Gemma Violet
  • Like 5
  • Applause 2
19 hours ago, Grammy6 said:

I watched it on Spectrum live today.  Going forward, I hope the person who wrote it wouldn't be shown on Spectrum is wrong.

How did you watch it on Spectrum live? I thought it would be pulled on Spectrum completely. I'm going to check to see if I can do it that way. If I can, thank you!

Just now, mongoose said:

How did you watch it on Spectrum live? I thought it would be pulled on Spectrum completely. I'm going to check to see if I can do it that way. If I can, thank you!  I can tell if Spectrum live allows any other ABC show  today.

2 hours ago, Shrek said:

I haven't watched yet so I don't know what was said but the fact that Joy is the same age as Mitch shows how differently people age.

51 minutes ago, bluegirl147 said:

I haven't watched the show yet but I don't think believing McConnelll  should step down because he is clearly showing his age is ageist.

Joy's point was that you can’t judge all people by the same age. Alyssa was suggesting that there should be an age limit, that anyone in that age range should be forced to retire from government.  Of course people like McConnell and Feinstein are having age related difficulties, but Joy also brought up Nancy Pelosi as someone who is clearly still able to do her job capably. There are 80 yos and there are 80yos. Leave it to the voters.  

• Like 8
7 minutes ago, mongoose said:

How did you watch it on Spectrum live? I thought it would be pulled on Spectrum completely. I'm going to check to see if I can do it that way. If I can, thank you!

Unfortunately, Disney pulled everything from Spectrum live, too. Sigh. Glad you can watch it, though.

7 minutes ago, mongoose said:

18 hours ago, Gemma Violet said:

Or a jet pilot piloting a commercial jet at 80.  There are age limits for commercial pilots for good reason. 

Joy sits and gives her opinion on various topics.  She doesn't drive large machinery for a living, she doesn't perform surgery, and she doesn't vote on important laws that affect the population of the country.  She sits and talks.  So comparing her to Mitch McConnell is apples and oranges.

great, then let's put mitch on some tv panel where he can stare into space and not do anything that will affect the whole country

• Like 2
  • LOL 3
12 minutes ago, Haleth said:

Alyssa’s implicit support for Moms for Liberty is  a problem. Especially since she doesn’t have kids. 

This is what bugs me about Alyssa, she is obscuring her right-wing opinions with a huge smile, pleasant speaking voice and a decent fashion sense.  She's still a right-winger.  It's a huge problem whether she has kids or not.  I do not have kids, but I'm very worried about school libraries being told what is or isn't acceptable.  If you don't like a book, fine, then don't take out the book.  Don't tell anyone else they can't take it out.

• Like 8
  • Applause 5

24 minutes ago, sugarbaker design said:

This is what bugs me about Alyssa, she is obscuring her right-wing opinions with a huge smile, pleasant speaking voice and a decent fashion sense.  She's still a right-winger.  It's a huge problem whether she has kids or not.  I do not have kids, but I'm very worried about school libraries being told what is or isn't acceptable.  If you don't like a book, fine, then don't take out the book.  Don't tell anyone else they can't take it out.

And this is why I will never like her. Just because she speaks in a nice, sweet voice, instead of shouting like a demented banshee, doesn't make her less horrible than SWSNBN.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Like 5
38 minutes ago, Haleth said:

Alyssa’s implicit support for Moms for Liberty is  a problem. Especially since she doesn’t have kids. 

I didn't care how she tried to go after Sunny saying, "wouldn't you want all kids to have the same opportunity for private school education that your kids had?"   That position is basically abandoning the kids who go to public schools.   The response to that questions, is that I would want children who go to public schools to get just as quality of education as those who go to private.  

• Like 6
  • Applause 3
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, SanDiegoInExile said:

There are a dozen or so ABC stations "owned and operated" by Disney.  Only those ABC stations were yanked from Spectrum.

The View is also available on Hulu, though you have to wait until the show has aired on the West Coast.

Last time I checked it wasn't available until the following day on Hulu.

5 minutes ago, Shrek said:

Last time I checked it wasn't available until the following day on Hulu.

Sometimes it's uploaded in the evening.  Sometimes as early as 7 pm.

18 minutes ago, After7Only said:

I didn't care how she tried to go after Sunny saying, "wouldn't you want all kids to have the same opportunity for private school education that your kids had?"   That position is basically abandoning the kids who go to public schools.   The response to that questions, is that I would want children who go to public schools to get just as quality of education as those who go to private.  

If Alyssa wants kids to have as good an education as private school kids then she should want the public schools to get a massive increase in funding.  Private schools have more resources available to them because of money.  If public schools had more money then they would have more resources available to them.

• Like 6
  • Love 1

I don't think that Sunny having gone to private schools is that big of a deal or makes her a hypocrite because for the most part it is the parents' choice of what school they send their kids to. That would be on Sunny's parents, but if Sunny chose to send her own kids to private schools instead of public schools, then that indicates that she has no confidence that a public-school education would be good enough for her kids. The question is why; why do people choose a private school over a public school? Get the answer to that question and you have a good idea of what needs to be done to improve public education. Money can be a big part of it, but just having more money doesn't make a private school superior - it is what that money is spent on and the focus of the school that makes the difference. 

17 minutes ago, KittyQ said:

I don't think that Sunny having gone to private schools is that big of a deal or makes her a hypocrite because for the most part it is the parents' choice of what school they send their kids to.

Parents have a choice if they can afford to send them to a school other than the public school in their school district. 

20 minutes ago, KittyQ said:

if Sunny chose to send her own kids to private schools instead of public schools, then that indicates that she has no confidence that a public-school education would be good enough for her kids

I don't know for certain but I would assume Sunny sent her kids to Catholic school.  Private school but because of her religion.

10 hours ago, Haleth said:

Maybe I missed something, but I heard Alyssa say "I agree" after Sunny spoke against them and then Alyssa said they (Moms for Liberty) have gone in a dangerous direction.  

• Like 3
4 hours ago, maggiemae said:

I am loving that Joy can introduce topics without explanations about the writers strike making it soooo difficult.

Yes, and I also love that Joy starts off casually, even with a laugh, in the same way that Meredith did. The conversation just flows naturally. Nothing written on cards. And unless I wasn't aware, when Meredith moderated it never seems like things were "written". 

• Like 8
9 hours ago, Gemma Violet said:

Maybe I missed something, but I heard Alyssa say "I agree" after Sunny spoke against them and then Alyssa said they (Moms for Liberty) have gone in a dangerous direction.  

She does a thing constantly where she'll agree with whatever someone else says then transition to "but," meaning she's about to tell us what she really thinks.  In this case it was support for Nikky Haley (who is a big supporter of MfL) and a commentary on how parents should have more of a voice in their children's education (which on the surface sounds logical, but is the insidious MfL talking point).  "Why wouldn't you [want that]?" she asked.  Oh, I dunno, Alyssa.  Maybe leave it up to the people who were trained for it instead of... people not trained for it.  (I censored myself.)

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Was Friday's show recorded earlier? The reason I am asking is Joy asked "Today is Friday right?"  Did anyone see if this was listed as taped during the beginning? I guess I assumed they were back to regular Friday shows. 

Edited by js9548
52 minutes ago, js9548 said:

Was Friday's show recorded earlier? The reason I am asking is Joy asked "Today is Friday right?"  Did anyone see if this was listed as taped during the beginning? I guess I assumed they were back to regular Friday shows. 

The announcer at the beginning said it was live. Last week when I checked the ticket website it didn't list Friday as a pre-recorded.

• Like 1

I thought it was interesting that Joy said, "You wanted the job, so do your job, Mayor" when talking about NY Mayor Adams talking about the influx of (illegal?) immigrants. I don't have specific references, but my impression is that in the past she and the rest of the panel haven't been too critical of the mayor, so this was a bit of a surprise to me. (FWIW, I agree with her here - this issue goes with the job, so he needs to deal with it and not try to pass the buck to someone else).

Escaped prisoner - when I saw the video of the prisoner escaping, the first thing that it reminded me of was American Ninja Warrior - those contestants do that kind of moves all the time. Was this guys a watcher of that show?  Again, Joy surprises with her idea that having a legal handgun might be a good idea. She says that she never said anything against legal handguns whenever she spoke about mass shootings, and maybe that's true, but I don't recall her ever saying anything positive (or even neutral) about them either. 

33 minutes ago, KittyQ said:

I thought it was interesting that Joy said, "You wanted the job, so do your job, Mayor" when talking about NY Mayor Adams talking about the influx of (illegal?) immigrants. I don't have specific references, but my impression is that in the past she and the rest of the panel haven't been too critical of the mayor, so this was a bit of a surprise to me. (FWIW, I agree with her here - this issue goes with the job, so he needs to deal with it and not try to pass the buck to someone else).

Escaped prisoner - when I saw the video of the prisoner escaping, the first thing that it reminded me of was American Ninja Warrior - those contestants do that kind of moves all the time. Was this guys a watcher of that show?  Again, Joy surprises with her idea that having a legal handgun might be a good idea. She says that she never said anything against legal handguns whenever she spoke about mass shootings, and maybe that's true, but I don't recall her ever saying anything positive (or even neutral) about them either. 

Joy and the rest of the panel besides Alyssa have mentioned several times that they are against wmds, not hand guns

• Like 4

Alyssa’s been drinking the faux news kool aid with her views, Joy shot her right down on the gun comment & she quickly changed the subject faster than a humming bird changes direction. 

Edited by Shrek
  • Like 2
  • Applause 1