Type keyword(s) to search

S20.E13: The Sky’s the Limit

• Start Topic

The final four designers push themselves higher than ever for the Avant-Garde Challenge, inspired by the breathtaking views of Manhattan from the 91st floor of Summit One Vanderbilt; famed stylist Law Roach and Steven Kolb from the CFDA guest judge.

I never understand avant-garde. Make a goofy looking outfit inspired by, this season, a building is how it sounds to me. 
Good thing Bishme took Christian’s advice about the hat. 
I can’t stand Law Roach. He was a judge on Americans Next Top Model.
I think Brittany is in trouble. 

• Like 20

Brittany's been referential the last few challenges?

Last time she wasn't going to add an oversized bow tie until Christian encouraged  her to! He even said something like  if the judges say anything just tell them I told you to do the bowtie.

Bishme wins with something reminiscent of Mugler? OK

Please send Rami home!

• Like 9
  • Applause 1

I like Rami  as a person, but his work bores me. It's repetitive. Although, probably the most commercial since I imagine his clothes would fit and compliment a lot more body types than the others. 

• Like 20

Bye Bye Rami. If it had to come down to it, I'd rather see a collection from Britney. She's so talented and I've loved almost everything she sent down the runway.

I get a very weird vibe from guest judge in pink. Not sure why.

Bishme was catwoman 2023, but detail in the dress saved it.

• Like 15

Oh darn, I was rooting for Rami. He’ll be ok, he’s successful on his own. 
I like Brittany, I’m glad she got in the finale. I’ve liked most of her normal designs (when they’ve let them design normal stuff). 
I liked Laurence’s design the best on this challenge. 
I think Bishme will win in the finale. 

Edited by Straycat80
  • Like 11
  • Applause 2

Brittany finale--Get ready for a lot more open mouth reaction shots, bare midriffs, snap pants

Laurence black leather tight only fit size zero models

Bishme-honestly, not sure. I'm looking forward to what he comes up with. 

• Like 9
  • Applause 1

Yay!

I'm so happy for Brittany! Such a class act. Always big-upping and supporting her competitors and never making snarky remarks about them.

I often hear her tell the guest(s) that it was nice to meet them.

Tonight's wasn't my favorite, though it was better than Rami's. It was good enough. I didn't love any of them tbh. There were two or three times this season (I felt) she should  have gotten the win.

• Like 14

Rami’s been doing instagram lives after some of the shows and, while he obviously didn’t give anything away, it just felt like he wasn’t going to make the finale from some of the things he said.  So at least I felt prepared.  He is a lovely person.  That dress, not so much. 

I thought Lawrence had the best look tonight, I was really surprised they gave the win to Bishme.

• Like 13
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1

Yay for Brittany! I didn’t love her last design, but as Elaine said, her body of work throughout the whole season was impressive. Sad to see Rami go, but super pumped for Brittany being in the finale

Edited by SouthernChick
  • Like 9

So, after the judges all said awful things about Brittany, and her designs, and being 'referential', they keep her over Rami?    That confuses me as much as every other decision they've made.       

Is the eliminated competitor (Rami) still do a decoy show the way they used to?   If so, he may not be a finalist, but he'll still show at Fashion Week.   Unless they changed the schedule and don't need a decoy or two to hide the finalists identities until the show airs.

• Like 10
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1
Just now, CrazyInAlabama said:

So, after the judges all said awful things about Brittany, and her designs, and being 'referential', they keep her over Rami?    That confuses me as much as every other decision they've made.       

Is the eliminated competitor (Rami) still do a decoy show the way they used to?   If so, he may not be a finalist, but he'll still show at Fashion Week.   Unless they changed the schedule and don't need a decoy or two to hide the finalists identities until the show airs.

The finale was filmed in November, well after Fashion Week. Also, haven't the finales on the reboot been private fashion shows? No need for decoys.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Useful 3
38 minutes ago, Straycat80 said:

I can’t stand Law Roach. He was a judge on Americans Next Top Model.

19 minutes ago, njbchlover said:

What a condescending, self-important asshole this person is!!  

AGREED!

I guess you don't have to be stylish to be "a top stylist". Just have a lot of attitude.🙄

• Like 13
  • Applause 3
  • LOL 2
  • Love 3
9 minutes ago, TakomaSnark said:

The finale was filmed in November, well after Fashion Week. Also, haven't the finales on the reboot been private fashion shows? No need for decoys.

Thanks. I thought they still showed at Fashion Week, I guess I skipped watching this for a lot of seasons.   

So, that was the end for Rami.   I will miss his lovely attitude to everyone. 

• Like 14
  • Applause 1

I never understand when a judge disparages an avant garde look as being “costumy.” Um…what else could it possibly be? You can’t wear it on a regular red carpet or to a club…by it’s very nature, it’s supposed to invoke stares, and make people think. Sounds like a costume to me. 

I was glad that Brittany made it. They keep saying that she is referential, but she designs sportswear! How original can she be, unless she has people wearing shorts on their heads, or whatever? I just felt bad that the cool iridescent fabric she used came off as dull gray on the runway.

Rami does seem like an awesome person, but that look was a mess. 

I thought Laurence should have won, though Bishmi’s was fun. He will have the more interesting collection, that’s for sure.

'

• Like 12
  • Applause 2
6 minutes ago, T Summer said:

AGREED!

I guess you don't have to be stylish to be "a top stylist". Just have a lot of attitude.🙄

He actually "retired" from being a stylist:

https://www.theguardian.com/fashion/2023/mar/24/why-stylist-to-the-stars-law-roach-quit-zendaya-ariana-grande#:~:text=In an interview with the,in a really long time …

I guess now, he's just another social media influencer....wonder how he'll spin that into sounding fancier than it is.

• Like 4
  • Useful 2
  • LOL 10
3 minutes ago, njbchlover said:

Law Roach is an egotistical, snotty, self-important individual.  An "image architect"???  WTF???  Anyone who needs to come up with superfluous words to elevate their actual career (as a "stylist") can go sit in the second row of the next fashion show.

I had the same 🤢 reaction to “image architect” and then couldn’t remember what the stupid “so much more than a stylist” phrase was.  Crazy.  

• Like 6

I loved Bishme’s look. That fabric was everything wet and shiny and just really good. I’m so glad that he won. I love Rami as a person but that look was a mess. Britney‘s was much better put together but there’s nothing avant garde about long, puffy sleeves. I just personally hate puffer coats and anything puffer. I live in the north east and everybody wears them and they are so boring. Laurent’s look was impeccably crafted, but I didn’t see much avant-garde about it either I may not always like her, but she does deserve to go to the finals because she is really good. That guest judge stylist is really obnoxious overly self important and his outfit was crap.

• Like 18
10 minutes ago, njbchlover said:

I swear I've seen several different iterations of that structured, built out skirt style in previous seasons of Project Runway from other contestants.

I thought that to myself as soon as Laurance voiced the idea and did her

sketch.

It's been years since I read the fashion magazines and kept up, but I anticipated the Mugler comment on Bishme's as soon as I saw it.

Brittany's made me think of the 1st PR winner, Jay McCarrol...was that his last name?

Rami's seams appeared messy (probably due to poor fabric choices), so it really wouldn't have looked right if they kept him over Brittany who didn't send down anything messy... quite the opposite.

That said, no one made fashion history tonight.

• Like 11

Wasn't bowled over by any of them really, but Rami deserved the auff imo. Haven't really connected with much of his all season. Laurence's was of course impecably tailored, but a little boring. Britney's was well, puffer. <yawn> Sorry, but I thought Bishme's looked a bit juvenile and sort of cheap. I'm sure it's the shiny fabric that led me there, as it usually does.

I sort of wish PR would force them to make at least 1/2 of their collection with materials that they aren't typically drawn to, but I know they won't and maybe that's not fair anyway. 

I guess I'm most interested to see what Bishme will present, as to me, his aesthetic is the least one-note. We know we'll get highly tailored leather from Laurence, and wide-legged, cropped top streetwear from Britney.

Edited by SuprSuprElevated
  • Like 14

I think Rami would have presented a beautiful, elegant, and classy runway.  His seams looked unclean because he purposely left a raw edge of the shear fabric overlay.  You could see that in the close ups.  I’m betting Laurence will win.  I think she can really do a cohesive collection.

• Like 12

I was underwhelmed. I didn't really love any of the designs tonight. Some seemed very reminiscent of designs I have seen on this show over and over again.

I so wanted to see a collection from Rami. I am really disappointed that no one from the earlier seasons made it to the end. I was rooting for the earlier season designers over those that it feels like I just saw onscreen. When Laurence said that her season was like six years ago, it felt more recent to me, but I guess it wasn't.

I am so tired of oversized puffer coats. 

I guess I am hoping for a Laurence or Bishme win since Rami is out.

• Like 14

NONE of those designs were avant garde!

I wanted Bishme to make an actual bubble dress instead of a batwoman dress with a circle for wings. I thought the model was going to be inside a big bubble, which would have been cool.

The edits always show that the designers ignore Christian's advice at their peril, but this was so extreme. Like, "if you hadn't followed Christian's advice to the t, we would have hated it, but you did, so you win."

All that aside, I look forward to seeing the collections next week. 

• Like 11
20 minutes ago, njbchlover said:

He actually "retired" from being a stylist:

Well good!

I didn't want to call him a stylist anyway which is why I put it in quotes, it was just part of Brandon or whoever's blather when they introduced him. I thought I heard most powerful stylist in the industry?   and something about Zendaya...

• Like 4
  • LOL 1

Judges just make it all up as they go along. And calling maybe Shenanigans on the makeup of the finalists. All of them are from more recent seasons- I stopped watching after about S6. Rami prob deserved to go, but nothing Brittany did is avant guard. I'll FF thru the finale, rooting for Bishme.

• Like 5

This is the season of the puffer coat.

Every time someone says "referential" it just tickles me because it feels even shadier than saying copied

I immediately thought of Mugler when Bishme's outfit came out. It looked straight out of a George Michael's Too Funky video.

Edited by BloggerAloud
  • Like 6
  • LOL 1
7 hours ago, njbchlover said:

Did anyone else get a Michelle Pfeiffer as Catwoman vibe from Bishme's outfit - especially the baseball cap?  

I hope that his finale looks are NOT all topped off with multiple baseball caps in different colors and styles! 

Yes at one point someone muttered Batwoman, and I said No!  Catwoman. 

• Like 11
  • LOL 1
10 hours ago, Lady of nod said:

This building is like my worse nightmare. I appreciate the art of it but just looking at my screen is making me dizzy

I was curious as to what it is (a relatively new tourist attraction, apparently). I saw that you can buy tickets for different "experiences," and was confused that the one that includes the elevator ride we saw was "unavailable." (I assume you take a normal elevator up. Some googling seems to imply that there was an "incident" a few months ago where it dropped three stories after some sort of software upgrade. I assume that's why it's still closed.

https://summitov.com/tickets/

https://abc7ny.com/one-vanderbilt-elevator-malfunction-workers-injured-nyc/12988330/

• Mind Blown 9
  • Useful 2
11 hours ago, njbchlover said:

I swear I've seen several different iterations of that structured, built out skirt style in previous seasons of Project Runway from other contestants.

totally. There was really nothing surprising about that.

I wonder if that "silver balloon room" was art from Kusama (she is credited with being part of this whole "Summit Vanderbilt" thing). We saw a cool installation of hers at the NY Botanical Garden last year:

new-york-botanical-gardens-kusama-cosmic-nature-exhibition_dezeen_2364_hero-b-852x479.jpeg

Edited by dleighg
wrong installation pictured
  • Like 1
  • Useful 4
  • Love 1

I would argue all fashion is a bit referential. Each season just recycles past trends over and over. I often wonder any of the contestants hold something back, just so it won’t get copied by a more famous designer who would claim the accolades.  

• Like 8
  • Applause 3
  • Useful 2