Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 40 (2023-2024)

Athena
  • Start Topic

Is Thurs the last day of the sason? I'm trying to figure out if it's just being pre-empted by the Olympics, or if it's over. If it's over, I don't go looking for replay somewhere.

53 minutes ago, possibilities said:

Is Thurs the last day of the sason? I'm trying to figure out if it's just being pre-empted by the Olympics, or if it's over.

I would assume Friday is the last day. Here in Chicago J! airs (a) at 3:30p and (b) on the local ABC station (the Olympics are on NBC and at 7p) so no interruption.

• Like 1

I got FJ but I was by no means confident.

I got the missed clues of A Christmas Story, Tina Turner, Sorry, contrite, cottonmouth, dogwood and J Edgar Hoover (complete, wild guess).  On FB, people were saying there are so many triple stumpers because the clues are unclear, but I've been getting a lot of them, and the ones I haven't been getting aren't because I didn't understand the clue. So, not sure what other people are seeing with the clues.

I got the entire categories of state holidays, stars we lost, apologies, and mouth to mouth right and the entire category of movie sound tracks wrong.

July 22:

73% / 43% / 57%

Did pretty well in the first round, and abysmally in the second. In J I missed one in Scientific Discoveries, All Apologies, Mouth to Mouth, and Classic Poems' Endings, and two in Stars We Lost Last Year and State Holidays. In DJ I missed one in Food History and 3 "O"s, two in The II, four in Movie Sountrack Songs and World Cities, and five in Executive Orders.

Had no clue for FJ.

TSes: (J had 5; DJ had 5) I got Sorry and cottonmouth.

4 hours ago, illdoc said:

I would assume Friday is the last day. Here in Chicago J! airs (a) at 3:30p and (b) on the local ABC station (the Olympics are on NBC and at 7p) so no interruption.

It's at 7:30 on NBC here, and my listings show Olympics coverage on Friday and no Jeopardy.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
29 minutes ago, possibilities said:

It's at 7:30 on NBC here, and my listings show Olympics coverage on Friday and no Jeopardy.

It's on at 7:00 on ABC here. No preemption for me.

I watched in the bedroom with a cat demanding cuddles, so didn't keep track of my performance.

Luckily, she's used to me hollering at the TV thanks to football season, so didn't react to my increasingly loud attempts to get one of the contestants to hear me giving them the Tina Turner answer. 

The other TS I remember getting are A Christmas Story (not at all a fan, so thanks to the in memoriam thread somehow making that stick for me), cottonmouth, dogwood, J. Edgar Hoover, and contrite.

I did pretty well overall, but had no idea for FJ.

Boy, after a dismal first half of his first game, Neilesh has thus far had a winning comeback followed by a game of total dominance.

• Like 2

Is Neilesh standing next to a wind machine? He sways like the tall pines behind my house when a storm is coming.

The look on Ken's face when he learned that there was a break room behind the statue of Lincoln at the Lincoln Memorial was everything.

• Like 7
  • LOL 9
  • Love 1
(edited)
On 7/20/2024 at 3:02 PM, possibilities said:

Rhinos are gentle vegetarians. Their horns are for digging, not fighting. Just wanted to make a statement on behalf of our big lug friends.

Tell that to the group I was with in Nepal - we had to climb trees to avoid a charging rhino.  We had to wait up there until she got bored and left.

Edited by Ancaster
  • Like 1
  • Mind Blown 5

Maybe she had a baby. Or, you know, you were in her house! If a bunch of strangers came into my house, I might make a scene, also.

Tie watch: loved Ken's tie today. 

I only noticed Neilesh swaying when he was chatting with ken about his personal story. I think he's just really nervous in social situations.

29 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

It's on at 7:00 on ABC here. No preemption for me.

If you have a new game on Fri, I guess that means I will go looking for a replay-- thanks.

• Like 3
3 hours ago, Katy M said:

A Christmas Story

I pictured the little boy with glasses but the name of the movie did not surface.  And for the city in France DD which Nielesh did get I got as far as "starts with M".

• Like 1
1 hour ago, ProudMary said:

Is Neilesh standing next to a wind machine? He sways like the tall pines behind my house when a storm is coming.

It's making my husband seasick and he rarely even notices such things.

I had no idea for FJ. Now, if the clue had mentioned repeated uses of "lover" rather than "love", maybe I'd have gotten somewhere. As it was, I wandered into the self-help section of the bookstore and got stuck there.

• Like 5

I got FJ because I knew The Rainbow was written by D.H. Lawrence. Ken Russell's film adaptation came out while I was in high school. I watched it for the... "plot." Yeah, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

I was definitely yelling at the screen for the Tina Turner, Super Fly and A Christmas Story clues. 

It wouldn't surprise me if Neilesh is still the champ when the next season starts in the fall. I hope we do get some better competition for him as the week plays out.

• Like 5

I had no idea for FJ last night. But I did get the TS of A Christmas Story, Sorry!, contrite, cottonmouth, and dogwood.  Even if the dogwood clue had not specifically mentioned Virginia, I would have gotten it from the photo alone.

• Like 3
13 hours ago, Katy M said:

I got FJ but I was by no means confident.

I had no idea for FJ.  And I think just "Lawrence" should've been ruled incorrect since there's no opportunity for a BMS.  But that's just me and not the actual rules.

If the current champ wins again tonight, I'm out until he's gone.  I just can't with someone so lackluster and boring.

• Like 2

I find Neilesh to be a nervous nerd in the most charming way. I have a feeling he'll be around for a while unless another strong player comes along.

• Like 5
19 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

And I think just "Lawrence" should've been ruled incorrect since there's no opportunity for a BMS. 

And it wasn't even a question, just "What Lawrence".

• Like 2
  • LOL 1
19 hours ago, possibilities said:

Is Thurs the last day of the sason? I'm trying to figure out if it's just being pre-empted by the Olympics, or if it's over. If it's over, I don't go looking for replay somewhere.

The last episode of Jeopardy!'s 40th Season will air on Friday, July 26, with reruns starting Monday, July 29.

We've been watching entirely on YouTube because it's been preempted so much (RNC, etc.), and because our digital antenna is bonkers these days. We finally "subscribed" to someone who puts it up regularly (and whose recording is decent), and by the next day the episode is gone and the new one is up. So we don't have to search anymore.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 2
9 hours ago, Trey said:

And it wasn't even a question, just "What Lawrence".

What, Lawrence?

July 23:

73% / 40% / 56%

Again, decent first round, terrible second. Ran Spring in Your Step and Winter of Our Discontent, missed one in Flavors and Summer Reading, two in Also a Bird, and four in Taking a Fall. In DJ I missed two in US Areas & Territories, Science, and Roaring 20s, three in Writer-Directors, four in Greek Myth, and all five in Drop In (I did not like that category).

Again, had no clue for FJ.

TSes: (J had 7; DJ had 8 + 1 DD) I got Leapin' Lizards!, Buster Keaton (after Charlie Chaplain was wrong), Midsummer Night's Scream (just a logical guess based on the types of books R.L. Stine writes), lark, and boobies.

I don't dislike Neilesh, but I was kinda rooting for Lindsay.

8d0ce0f5-9882-4dc5-8cfc-1e6a2ea77042_tex

I discovered one up side to only being able to get to the archive on my phone (with the wifi turned off)...I can open all the clues and count the TSes before the round is over, because while I can tell where it says "Triple Stumper" in red, the text is too small to read, so I can't spoil any clues for myself.

• Like 7
  • LOL 1

I had no idea on FJ. The only thing I could think of that happened in 1881 was Garfield's assassination and that obviously got me nowhere.

I got the missed clues of Leaping Lizards, Scream, Gerald Ford, lark, rob, and Scylla.

I got the entire cateegory of greek myth right and writers-directors wrong (was pretty sure I would when I saw the category).

• Like 2

Lindsay was doing so well and then she picked the science category in DJ. Sure, the current champ talked about how he'd been to Cern but why not try science. I think Neilesh ran that category and it started him on a roll.

I knew Gerald Ford, Leapin' Lizards, and boobies. I had no idea for FJ. My mind went to Mrs. O'Leary's barn.

• Like 5

Ouch; Tim had a very bad day, getting a whopping one response correct.

I liked Lindsay's vibe and was happy for her getting the true DD at the end of the first round, so wound up rooting for her, but I do not even know what that FJ response and wager were about.

I almost ran the entire first round, but I missed two of the books and had no idea there was a new Fall Guy, let alone who plays him.

DJ was a different story.  I only ran Drop In (I love categories like that) and science.  I blew myth entirely (shocking, I know), and missed two each in the rest.

FJ wasn't an instaget, but it didn't take me very long.

(edited)
33 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I almost ran the entire first round, but I missed two of the books and had no idea there was a new Fall Guy, let alone who plays him.

The NY Times youtube channel has a series called Anatomy of a Scene and I have seen the video of Ryan Gosling performing a stunt in Fall Guy...he was also on the Late Show a few months ago talking about the movie...and I still didn't get it.

Edited by ams1001
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, Grizzly said:

I had no idea for FJ. My mind went to Mrs. O'Leary's barn.

I wasn't getting anywhere with 1881 so I tried to think of autobody shops for inspiration. I would probably have guessed Maaco in despair.

Once again these whippersnappers don't know things like Gerald Ford, goose, and Buster Keaton. Leapin' Lizards escaped me as well though.

• Like 2

Me too! Even though I'm sure it burned down and was unable to house any kind of shop. 

I remember laughing at the Chevy Chase impersonations of Gerald Ford as a bumbling idiot, but it retrospect they were so unfair. Ford slipped once on the steps of Air Force One, and was mocked forever after. He was far from the klutz depicted in the sketches, but that came to define him and his presidency. Chevy Chase, on the other hand, was/is a verified jackass who seemingly deserves his negative press. So maybe Ford got the last laugh?

I was rooting for Lindsay at first, but in the end, I didn't really care. After that Buster Keaton TS, they were all dead to me.

• Like 4
  • LOL 6
(edited)

. I had no idea for FJ. My mind went to Mrs. O'Leary's barn.

Me too! My thoughts were “well it’s a barn, probably had horses so maybe was rebuilt to something else?”

Turns out that was in 1871. But IMO not a bad guess!

Sad none of them knew Buster Keaton. 

Edited by Cotypubby
  • Like 5

I read the FJ clue twice and realized I needed to get back to the category, Historic Spots. When I saw "Spots" instead of "Sites", that plus horses got me to the O.K. Corral. I can finish Season 40 a happy camper.

• Like 1
  • Applause 3
19 hours ago, Grizzly said:

Glad to see that I wasn't the only one!  

Archive game for me last night.  No FJ, but I did get many of the many TS, including lark, goose, cardinal, leapin' lizards, Gerald Ford, Buster Keaton (even without seeing the picture), boobies, American Samoa, St. Moritz, Aimee Simple McPherson, rob, and figure.

July 24:

60% / 63% / 61%

In J I ran They Call Me…, missed one in Danger Bird, two in Mellow Yellow, and three in Medalists in Paris,  Borders Both Countries, and Tele Vision.

In DJ I missed one each in Hodgepodge, Hollywood Families, and Novel Change a Letter, two in American History, and three in Art and 4 Letter Words.

I had no clue for FJ. I am on track for ending the season with a big pile of donuts.

TSes: (J had 5; DJ had 6 + 1 DD) I got true blue, The Mime Machine, Yellowstone (total guess), and jellyfish.

Darn, I was rooting for Wendy.

• Like 2

If I had known Tonto National Park existed I would have totally gotten FJ.

I got the missed clues of true blue, Yellowstone, onus, and jellyfish.

I got the entire category of call me right.

I said Sancho Panza instead of Pancho Villa.  I crack myself up.

• Like 1
  • LOL 7
5 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I also said that so you may laugh at me too.

• Like 1
  • LOL 4
30 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

I had no clue for FJ. I am on track for ending the season with a big pile of donuts.

I am with you on the donuts for this week.  I had no idea there was a Tonto National Forest, and didn't know that meant "fool" either.

I did get a few TS, though, including mockingbird, May gray (total guess), The Mime Machine, Yellowstone, and waif.

• Like 2

We got a banner at the bottom of the screen that J! & Wheel are moving to the affiliate's "sister station" for the duration of the Olympics.  So if you're near Metro Atlanta, go to channel 36.

Had NO idea for FJ

2 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I am with you on the donuts for this week.  I had no idea there was a Tonto National Forest, and didn't know that meant "fool" either.

Me, neither. And "problematic TV character" had me trying to think of a character trope (like a Mary Sue, which is the only one I can think of off the top of my head), not a specific character.

• Like 3
1 minute ago, ams1001 said:

Me, neither. And "problematic TV character" had me trying to think of a character trope (like a Mary Sue, which is the only one I can think of off the top of my head), not a specific character.

Same here, and I had nothing.

• Like 1

The fake novel titles amused me.

The mockingbird TS surprised me, but maybe where the contestants are from one doesn't spend life getting dive-bombed by them in the backyard.  Location also made the May Gray TS an instaget for me.

Once I realized with the TV category was about I figured I'd blow it as those type of shows/stories are not my jam, but thanks to cultural osmosis - and including a picture of Walken - I only missed two.  It was a pretty good first round overall; I only ran borders and call me, but I got all but the Les Invalides TS in Paris, all but cassowary in birds, and all but Pink Drink in mellow yellow.

In DJ, it was the art category I dreaded, and I missed three.  But other than that, I had a terrific round -- I ran Hollywood Families (Yellowstone was a total guess, but I lucked into it being correct), hodgepodge, and words, and got all but Correspondence in history and all but No Country For Old Hen in novels.

FJ wasn't an instaget but came to me pretty quickly.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Katy M said:

If I had known Tonto National Park existed I would have totally gotten FJ.

I got the missed clues of true blue, Yellowstone, onus, and jellyfish.

I got the entire category of call me right.

I had no idea Tonto meant fool. The reason he's a problematic character is his broken English. That's why Sass from Ghosts speaks perfectly.

• Like 4
3 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Check, check, and check for me as well. I vote for lemon cream donuts.

Not only did I not know Tonto meant "fool", I also didn't know he was problematic. I thought he was just the Lone Ranger's friend.

A search for Tonto National Forest tells me it's in Arizona, just outside Phoenix. Its name comes from the Tonto Basin that lies within it, and it's characterized by wild, rough terrain. According to the National Parks Conservation Organization, the Western Apaches who lived there were geographically distanced from other Apaches and spoke a different dialect. This strange accent may have been why they were called foolish or crazy. It also could be because they chose to live in such a difficult, unfriendly environment. They were just thought to be so strange that they had to be tonto.

No explanation for why the Lone Ranger's buddy was similarly dissed.

• Like 2
  • Useful 3
(edited)

I said the Lone Ranger's buddy, does that count ? Just joking, I know it doesn't.

Edited by Shrek
13 hours ago, ams1001 said:

And "problematic TV character" had me trying to think of a character trope (like a Mary Sue, which is the only one I can think of off the top of my head), not a specific character.

I didn't think there was a Cousin Oliver national park so I had nothing.

• Like 1
  • LOL 9
12 hours ago, Browncoat said:

FJ donuts here too and ditto on the rest. I was half asleep when I read Wednesday's FJ clue, and thought " a problematic TV character" was " a problematic TV cartoon character." 
The Wikipedia article on the character of Tonto is very detailed and interesting, and apparently there was an animated version of Tonto too: wikipedia.org/wiki/Tonto
However, the Wikipedia article does skirt the "problematic" issues.

8 minutes ago, Shrek said:

I said the Lone Ranger's buddy, does that count ? Just joking, I know it doesn't.

Unfortunately the clue begins "This name of a national forest…"
But if we'd been in the same room, even in my sleepiness, after you said "Lone Ranger's buddy" there's a very good chance I would have said: "Tonto!"

• Like 3

I never heard of Tonto National Park, nor did I even think of Tonto, or think he was problematic but did know that Tonto = foolish. 1st year high school Spanish.

• Like 2

This name of a National Forest means “fool” & may be one Apache group’s name for another group; it’s also a problematic TV character

It's been a long time since there was a FJ! clue with so many embedded hints, and not a one of them rang any bells with me!

• Like 5
  • Hugs 1
(edited)

July 25:

67% / 65% / 67%

In J I missed one each in They Come in Pairs, Words in a Dickens Title, "T" in TV, and Rock/Paper/Scissors, and three each in WWI and Science.

In DJ I ran the three clues they got to in By Invitation Only, missed one in American Rivers and I'm Giving a Party (out of four), two in Literary Haterade and Billboard's Hot 100 (also out of four), and three in Anagrammed Adjectives.

Finally got a FJ! Almost an instaget…

TSes: (too lazy to go check how many there were but there were four clues left behind) I got mutual (DD), twist, parchment paper, the ocean, impeccable, Bloomberg, and Delaware River.

Edited by ams1001
  • Like 1
  • Applause 1

Whew!  I finally got an FJ this week.  And it was almost an instaget.

I also got the TS of mutual, twist, That 70s Show, parchment paper, elements, Dardanelles, and the James River.  I'd have to move out of Virginia if I'd missed the James!

I'm bummed that they left clues behind.  And the high dollar clues at that!  We know I'm not a fan of board-jumping and starting in the middle (or bottom), but if time's running out, hit the high dollar clues!  How long has it been since the boards weren't cleared?

• Like 5

FJ was an instaget.

I got the missed clues of Twist, That '70s Show, dice, the ocean, neutrino and impeccable.

i got the entire category of pairs right.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1