Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 40 (2023-2024)

Athena
  • Start Topic

14 minutes ago, 30 Helens said:

I don't really understand doing modern translations of the Bible. I mean, I do, accessibility and comprehension and all that, but shouldn't part of learning a historic work be reading it in the way it was first presented? Or as close to it as you can get? Nobody's plain-writing Shakespeare to make it easier to understand. (Well, not unless you count various movie adaptations, but those are not direct translations.) Just imagine "The Taming of the Shrew, the E.L. James version."

The KJV was translated with political considerations, and was itself a modern translation for its time (see wikipedia.org/wiki/King_James_Version and kingjamesbibletranslators.org/bios).
Of course, its beauty of language is still recognized, and it has endured in popular culture through such 20th century films as the The Robe, which I'd wager all of my marbles on having included in the script the correct response for the Wednesday, May 22, 2024, IT'S ALREADY IN THE FORM OF A QUESTION! $2,000 clue of “Why hast thou forsaken me?”

If this hasn't exhausted (in every sense of the word) the thirst for such discussion of everyone here, maybe take it to the Small Talk thread? Or here's okay too, since it could be relevant to future clues and responses. Or, on the third hand, further discussion could go to Small Talk where it might be easier to locate later if it comes up again for a J! bible clue.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
10 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I got Arno, but had no idea what the other half of that anagram pair was.

I didn't either, but there were only so many letter combos, and Oran made the most sense.  

• Like 2
3 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

Nobody's plain-writing Shakespeare to make it easier to understand.

Actually, there are. The No Fear Shakespeare series from SparkNotes has the original side-by-side with modern English. There are other plain English versions available. (I'm not a huge Shakespeare fan but I still think reading it in modern English would be weird.)

• Like 3
  • Sad 1
(edited)
3 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Actually, there are. The No Fear Shakespeare series from SparkNotes has the original side-by-side with modern English. There are other plain English versions available. (I'm not a huge Shakespeare fan but I still think reading it in modern English would be weird.)

I'm not much of Shakespeare fan either, despite having been an English major. But, he wrote the most wonderful insults and curses - I can't imagine any plain English "translation" coming close to the impact of his.

18 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I think it actually came out in paperback first; all three have publication dates of April 2012. There are hardcovers of 1 and 3 (oddly, B&N's website does not have a hardcover option on the second book) but they were published in January 2013.

I was waiting for a friend one day at my old store and the source material, aka Twilight, was on a display at the customer service desk, so I read the first page (which is really only about half a page)...didn't get any further than that. 

My understanding, from my daughters, is that these were fan fiction originally, and (also their opinion) bad fan fiction at that (never looked at them). I watched the first movie for some reason, and said to my daughter - "they SPARKLE in the sun?!"

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 1
(edited)
7 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

My understanding, from my daughters, is that these were fan fiction originally, and (also their opinion) bad fan fiction at that (never looked at them). I watched the first movie for some reason, and said to my daughter - "they SPARKLE in the sun?!"

Yup.

All I've seen of either set of movies is youtubers criticizing them. There's one channel called Lost in Adaptation that did a series on the 50 Shades movies. There's also Cinema Therapy (a filmmaker and a marriage and family therapist reacting to movies from a therapy perspective) and they've done some on the Twilight movies (and maybe 50 Shades but I'm not sure).

Edited by ams1001
  • Like 2
54 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

All I've seen of either set of movies is youtubers criticizing them. There's one channel called Lost in Adaptation that did a series on the 50 Shades movies. There's also Cinema Therapy (a filmmaker and a marriage and family therapist reacting to movies from a therapy perspective) and they've done some on the Twilight movies (and maybe 50 Shades but I'm not sure).

Ooh, I love the Cinema Therapy guys! Their videos are very enjoyable, but I only watch episodes that involve movies or TV shows that I've watched, or subjects I find interesting. I haven't watched any of their Twilight videos, as I haven't seen the films or read the books. They're smart to critique them, though. That's a big fanbase. Plenty of YouTube views available there.

• Like 2
10 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

Other than a mop of similarly frizzy yellowish hair, I can't think of one thing that would cause someone to mistake Sam Kinison for David Lee Roth. That response made me laugh. Hard.

I watched with a couple of friends, and that cracked us up.  We were laughing so hard we could barely hear the next two answers, and we stopped laughing to sit there slack-jawed that David Lee Roth was a TS.

The Y2K TS surprised us all as well.  The Dolores Huerta TS made us sad.

FJ wasn't an instaguess, but it came to mind fairly quickly.  I've never read it*, but epic + a word that looked like Old English got me there.  My friends agreed that had to be right.

*I don't remember what year it was, but in high school the kids in regular English classes read it but those of us in honors didn't, so I just registered lots of complaining about it.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1

I noticed they had a category (I think it was Thurs) for "Men of Science". I took it as an indication they have noticed the criticism of all the "Women ____" categories.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
(edited)
4 hours ago, ProudMary said:

Ooh, I love the Cinema Therapy guys! Their videos are very enjoyable, but I only watch episodes that involve movies or TV shows that I've watched, or subjects I find interesting. I haven't watched any of their Twilight videos, as I haven't seen the films or read the books. They're smart to critique them, though. That's a big fanbase. Plenty of YouTube views available there.

Have you seen Jonathan's other channel, Mended Light? They talk about a lot of therapy topics but he also does a similar thing with TV shows called [Show] Gets Therapized. He's done a bunch of different episodes of Friends and other shows. He's currently working his way through Gilmore Girls (which he's never watched before). There's a playlist for all of them but Friends, Buffy, and now (I just saw) Gilmore Girls have their own playlists as well. I subscribed to the channel just so I can see when a new GG episode gets posted.

I also skip episodes on movies I have no knowledge of and/or interest in, but I knew enough about Twilight from cultural osmosis that I was curious what they had to say about them.

1 hour ago, Bastet said:

FJ wasn't an instaguess, but it came to mind fairly quickly.  I've never read it*, but epic + a word that looked like Old English got me there.  My friends agreed that had to be right.

*I don't remember what year it was, but in high school the kids in regular English classes read it but those of us in honors didn't, so I just registered lots of complaining about it.

I actually read Beowulf in two classes, and two different translations, with the same professor, in the same semester* - Medieval Lit and History of the English Language. The classes were back-to-back, something like M-W-F at 1:30 and 2:30, respectively. (Also my roommate that year was in them with me, which was helpful.) For Medieval Lit, which wasn't all English majors, it was included in an anthology and he didn't make us buy a separate copy (but recommended the one he chose for the other class if we were interested), but for HEL, which was only English majors (and maybe a few minors), he chose a better translation for us. But my reasoning was pretty much the same as yours...'epic' + 'Old English word' got me there immediately.

*Another year I read Huck Finn in two classes in the same semester, with two different copies. We did them at different points in the semester and I bought both so I could be on the same page as the rest of the class (I did not actually read it twice, though). One was American Lit and the other was something like Childhood in Literature. Different professors, though.

Edited by ams1001
  • Like 2
5 hours ago, possibilities said:

I noticed they had a category (I think it was Thurs) for "Men of Science". I took it as an indication they have noticed the criticism of all the "Women ____" categories.

IMO, "Men of Science" is very different from "Men Scientists".

If they had a "Women of Science" category (as opposed to "Women Scientists"), I may be less irritated.

• Like 2
  • Fire 1
  • Useful 1
11 minutes ago, secnarf said:

IMO, "Men of Science" is very different from "Men Scientists".

Agreed. I have heard the term 'men of science' for a long long time, I don't think the writers were thinking of anything other than that it was a handy phrase.

• Like 4
5 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Have you seen Jonathan's other channel, Mended Light? They talk about a lot of therapy topics but he also does a similar thing with TV shows called [Show] Gets Therapized.

I have not seen it, but I'll definitely look it up.

• Like 1

The phrase "Men of science" goes way back. From The Hound of the Baskervilles, first published in 1901:

"And you, a trained man of science, believe it to be supernatural?"

From what I understand, the word "scientist" was considered by many people to be somewhat jargon-ish in the early days.

• Like 2
  • Useful 3
(edited)
7 hours ago, MrAtoz said:

The phrase "Men of science" goes way back.

Yes, "men of science" is an existing phrase; if the category were a counterpart to their damn "Women Scientists" categories, it would have been called "Men Scientists".

Since I'm always complaining about those type of categories (the grammar, and, more importantly, that women and other marginalized groups are too often relegated to them rather than being properly included in categories that don't specify gender, race, etc.), I need to give props to Friday's "American History" category that included clues about Dolores Huerta, Crispus Attucks, and Chief Joseph.  More of that, please.

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 6
  • Applause 2
On 5/24/2024 at 4:44 PM, ProudMary said:

he two paragraphs I read were loaded with grammatical and spelling errors. Forget about critical editing; I wondered if anyone had even proofread this sorry excuse of a book!

441500834_418754277686362_9065982598382498274_n.jpg

• Like 1
  • Fire 1
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 7
On 5/25/2024 at 5:21 AM, 30 Helens said:

I can't think of one thing that would cause someone to mistake Sam Kinison for David Lee Roth.

I suspect she was trying to think of Sammy *Hagar* whom she had confused with David Lee Roth.

On 5/22/2024 at 7:41 PM, Prevailing Wind said:

I had not heard of The Scary Ham but for a minute I thought she must have been a litigant on Judge John Hodgman. I guess there are a lot of people aging their hams. https://maximumfun.org/episodes/judge-john-hodgman/episode-627-special-proscuitto-cutor/

On 5/24/2024 at 12:23 PM, Clanstarling said:

I got as far as "sand" and hand gestures for the shape, but couldn't get hourglass in time.

Just last weekend I was looking at an hourglass that wasn't draining properly from some board game, but we never used the word while discussing the problem and I could not summon it. I should have tried to visualize the opening from Days of Our Lives instead and maybe "like sands through the hourglass" would have popped into my mind.

• Like 3
  • LOL 1
1 hour ago, Prevailing Wind said:

441500834_418754277686362_9065982598382498274_n.jpg

One might be moved to correct library books. Very lightly, in pencil. Hypothetically. 

• Like 2
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Wink 1
  • LOL 3
On 5/23/2024 at 11:55 AM, Clanstarling said:

We've often wondered if you can get buy with enunciating it as a question (with the rise at the end), and whether they'd accept "Is it [answer]?"

I am almost positive that there was a situation where the contestant forgot the phrasing but said it with the rise at the end and Alex commented that they would consider that good enough. However I suspect that must have occurred in the [single] Jeopardy round where you normally get off with a warning and it should be interpreted as Alex giving the warning in a slightly playful manner.

• Like 3

May 27:

67% / 63% / 64%

Meh game but better than some I've had recently...In J I ran Bestsellers, missed one in Where is That and "V"-8, two in Nonpotent Potables, and three in Beach and Sports. In DJ I ran What's Your Science, missed one in "Y" in the Middle, two in Can't Get Further North and Museum, and three in 17th Century and Name the Celebrity. Did not get FJ. In hindsight I remember that song being in the news but I doubt I would have come up with her name.

TSes: (J had 5 + the DD; DJ had 11) I got Victrola, Into Thin Air (DD), Dreams From My Father, Donald Sutherland, taxonomy, Pauly Shore, currycomb, and space archaeology.

• Like 4

I figured it was a Christmas song, but that wasn't getting me anywhere, so I just said Cher.

I got the missed clues of victrola, Into Thin Air (one of my favorite nonfiction books), acetylene, taxonomy, Pauly Shore (I'm embarrassed to say I only got one in the celeb category and it was Pauly Shore of all people), curry comb, and pyrotecnics.

I got the entire categories of where and V8 right.

• Like 5

I also said Cher for FJ, without any confidence.  And rightly so.

I did get the TS of Victrola, Into Thin Air, Dreams From My Father, Donald Sutherland, taxonomy, acetylene, and currycomb.

• Like 5
21 hours ago, possibilities said:

I have some of those timer devices that are for shorter intervals than an hour and we call them "sand timers" and not "hourglasses" around here.

D'oh! That's probably why I couldn't get to the right term -- right shape, wrong length of time.

1 hour ago, Katy M said:

I figured it was a Christmas song, but that wasn't getting me anywhere, so I just said Cher.

I guessed Darlene Love because I thought I remembered Christmas Baby Please Come Home being in the news. 

42 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I did get the TS of Victrola, Into Thin Air, Dreams From My Father, Donald Sutherland, taxonomy, acetylene, and currycomb.

I got most of these (except I think I had the wrong prepositions for Thin Air and Dreams) but I missed acetylene while getting, of all things, Pauly Shore.

• Like 4
2 minutes ago, bad things are bad said:

Cher and Dolly Parton: geez, how old do people think we are?

According to Wikipedia both were born in 1946, so they're 78 as of this year.  

• Like 4
  • Mind Blown 2
  • Fire 1
(edited)

I got Pauly Shore, hot dogs, French fries, and beer under the boardwalk.  Victrola and Into Thin Air..  FJ! was an instaget.  YouTube has a hysterical mashup of Brenda Lee and AC/DC.

Edited by PaulaO
7 minutes ago, PaulaO said:

I got Pauly Shore, hot dogs, French fries, and beer under the boardwalk.

??? There is no beer in the Drifters song.

• Like 2

A pretty good game for me.  I got quite a few ts's and FJ was an instaget.

December (Christmas) + female singer + 1958 = Brenda Lee. Sometimes being older pays off.

• Like 3

I took a wild guess and said Victrola because my grandfather called every record player a Victrola, even in the 1980s.

I thought of Cher but guessed Barbra Streisand.  I would swear I saw her sing on some late night show or other recently. 

• Like 1
On 5/23/2024 at 7:01 PM, possibilities said:

I know. And I consider that to be some bullshit. I wish they hadn't done it that way. 

How does the clue specifying a particular version of any written thing bullshit?  Had the clue not specified a particular version but the judges deemed the contestant's answer incorrect because he quoted a different version, that would be bullshit.  I just really don't understand your objection. 

On 5/23/2024 at 10:26 PM, secnarf said:

Is it?

I spent a good 5 minutes saying "our" and "hour" in various contexts/sentences, and I do pronounce them differently at the beginning.

I pronounced them exactly the same, so to me, yes, the "h" is silent.  It just didn't register at the time.

On 5/23/2024 at 11:38 PM, Bastet said:

No idea for FJ, though; it was one of those times where I only knew it was something biblical and didn't even feel like guessing.

Rembrandt is one of my favorite painters so FJ was an instaget for me.  But that definitely isn't one of his better known works.

On 5/24/2024 at 9:24 AM, ams1001 said:

nd the few random paragraphs I read were terribly written. Based on that and what I know of the story, there is no way in hell I'm ever going to read them.

Having the same experience as you regarding the terrible writing in the random bits I read, I'd be horrified if anyone thought I'd wasted my time on that crap.  Had I been in Brandon's place, my answer would've been "Hell, no."  I don't care about the subject matter but the writing in among the worst things I've ever read.

On 5/24/2024 at 12:05 PM, Driad said:

“Christ in the Storm on the Sea of Galilee," the Rembrandt painting from Thursday's FJ. 

The lighting in that painting is incredible.

On 5/24/2024 at 5:56 PM, kathyk2 said:

I wouldn't know about things they like so I can't blame the contestants for  not knowing Jimmy Stewart.

I absolutely blame them.  They're on Jeopardy so I expect them to know a lot of things which happened before they were born/were aware of pop culture.

On 5/24/2024 at 7:33 PM, ams1001 said:

But FJ was an instaget, so yay me for somewhat redeeming my English degree.

As a Medieval and Renaissance Studies major, I can say that I've read Beowulf more times than I care to remember.  Any clue which includes Old English is likely to refer to it.

• Like 2
On 5/25/2024 at 6:49 AM, Katy M said:

I didn't either, but there were only so many letter combos, and Oran made the most sense.  

I mentally worked out multiple combinations of the letters but somehow Oran escaped me.  Ugh.

On 5/25/2024 at 6:14 PM, ams1001 said:

I actually read Beowulf in two classes, and two different translations, with the same professor, in the same semester*

I didn't do it in the same semester, but I had to buy two different translations of Beowulf for different classes.  I don't remember it being with the same prof though.

16 hours ago, Katy M said:

I should known it was Brenda Lee because the various national nightly newscasts made a big deal about it at the time, but I couldn't remember and had no answer.

14 hours ago, chessiegal said:

Awww... No one knew 🎵 you can almost taste the hot dogs and French fries they sell 🎵.

I didn't.

• Like 2
23 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:
14 hours ago, chessiegal said:

Awww... No one knew 🎵 you can almost taste the hot dogs and French fries they sell 🎵.

I didn't.

Under the Boardwalk by the Drifters was released in 1964. It's song from my teens - guess I'm showing my age. 😄

• Like 1
  • Wink 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, proserpina65 said:
On 5/24/2024 at 9:05 AM, Driad said:

“Christ in the Storm on the Sea of Galilee," the Rembrandt painting from Thursday's FJ. 

As the linked article mentions, this is one of the paintings that were stolen from the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum in Boston in 1990, and remain missing.  There is some hope that the paintings might be recovered after the people who have them die.

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

I absolutely blame them.  They're on Jeopardy so I expect them to know a lot of things which happened before they were born/were aware of pop culture.

I don't blame them - but I don't excuse them either. Whenever I'm playing a trivia game with younger people and they use the "before my time" excuse, I point out that plenty of the trivia was well before my time (though who knows, maybe they thought I was alive during WWI - all old people look ancient to younger people).

On the other hand, I'm really crap at current pop stars - though if I was going to be on Jeopardy, that would be something I'd study up on.

34 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

Under the Boardwalk by the Drifters was released in 1964. It's song from my teens - guess I'm showing my age. 😄

I wasn't quite a teen - but yeah, I know the song (though apparently only the choruses)  But then again, these songs are played on classics channels all the time (or were), and now in grocery stores (I like grooving to my old songs while shopping).

• Like 2
(edited)

How does the clue specifying a particular version of any written thing bullshit? 

The Bible, specifically, is what I'm talking about, not everything. King James is the version preferred by a specific population, which is also a fairly imperialistic group. Many people know the Bible verse but in a different translation. My people, for instance, do not read King James. I could have known the verse but not the KJ verbiage. Why does J! think it's important to know KJ specifically? It's bad enough that the show is so heavily weighted to the Bible in the first place. If they are going to have so many Bible clues, at least they could not limit it to the KJ version.

You clearly disagree with me, but that is my reason.

Edited by possibilities
fix typo
  • Like 1
  • Fire 1
2 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

How does the clue specifying a particular version of any written thing bullshit?  Had the clue not specified a particular version but the judges deemed the contestant's answer incorrect because he quoted a different version, that would be bullshit.  I just really don't understand your objection. 

I pronounced them exactly the same, so to me, yes, the "h" is silent.  It just didn't register at the time.

Rembrandt is one of my favorite painters so FJ was an instaget for me.  But that definitely isn't one of his better known works.

Having the same experience as you regarding the terrible writing in the random bits I read, I'd be horrified if anyone thought I'd wasted my time on that crap.  Had I been in Brandon's place, my answer would've been "Hell, no."  I don't care about the subject matter but the writing in among the worst things I've ever read.

As a Medieval and Renaissance Studies major, I can say that I've read Beowulf more times than I care to remember.  Any clue which includes Old English is likely to refer to it.

Pop culture is so broad there is no way a young person could know every song that was popular before they were born. Certain songs like Can't Help falling in love with you have been covered many times. Under the Boardwalk has not.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
8 minutes ago, kathyk2 said:

Pop culture is so broad there is no way a young person could know every song that was popular before they were born. Certain songs like Can't Help falling in love with you have been covered many times. Under the Boardwalk has not.

Under the Boardwalk" is a pop song written by Kenny Young and Arthur Resnick and recorded by the Drifters in 1964. It charted at number four on the Billboard Hot 100 chart on August 22, 1964.[2] The song has since been covered by many other artists, with versions by Bette Midler, Sam & Dave, Tom Tom Club, The Rolling Stones, Billy Joe Royal, The Beach Boys, Bruce Willis, Bad Boys Blue, John Mellencamp and Lynn Anderson all charting in the United States or overseas. The song ranked number 487 on Rolling Stone's list of The 500 Greatest Songs of All Time in 2004 and number 489 in 2010.

From Wikipedia.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
6 hours ago, bad things are bad said:

Cher and Dolly Parton: geez, how old do people think we are?

6 hours ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

According to Wikipedia both were born in 1946, so they're 78 as of this year.  

I guess I should know that too. I considered Dione Warwick (83) and Joni Mitchell (80), but Brenda Lee would not have occured to me. 

I appreciate Rembrandt too, and thought maybe that was a lesser known work, but "Why are ye fearful, O ye of little faith?" sounded like Christian scriptures, so it had to be the Sea of Galilee. 

On 5/24/2024 at 12:05 PM, Driad said:

Chiaroscuro outdoors!

1 hour ago, chessiegal said:

I started singing the song to myself, but, honestly, the line about the food would be one I would've hummed. I got as far as "on a blanket with my baby is where I'll be."

Going back to Beowulf : 
We read Beowulf in either junior high school ("middle school" nowadays) or high school, but I spent the entire Think Music time trying to think of Gilgamesh, which was not studied when and where I was in school in the 60s.
Anyway, I did not appreciate Beowulf, and nothing in that clue would have brought it to mind: 
“Preserved in a single manuscript called Cotton MS Vitellius A XV, this epic begins with the word ‘Hwaet’, often translated as listen”

• Like 3
32 minutes ago, kathyk2 said:

It has, as pointed out by @chessiegal. But to be fair, the last of those covers were in the 80s - now forty (!OMG) years ago.

6 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Anyway, I did not appreciate Beowulf, and nothing in that clue would have brought it to mind: 
“Preserved in a single manuscript called Cotton MS Vitellius A XV, this epic begins with the word ‘Hwaet’, often translated as listen”

"Hwaet" did it for me (and epic). But it was still mostly a guess - as I've wiped that epic from my mind.

• Like 3
  • Wink 1

Yesterday was my Sunday, which means I was at my parents' house for dinner, but because it felt like Sunday, my mom (who records the show) and I didn't even think about there being an episode sitting there for us to watch; it occurred to me as I drove away at 10:00, so oops. 

I just checked the archive, and thankfully not being able to see the pictures was not an issue -- I either didn't need them or wouldn't have known anyway.

Cape Canaveral as a lunar location gave me a chuckle.  The archaeology TS blew me away.  The Victrola TS surprised me; that's before everyone's time, but I thought that history was more well known than it apparently is.

I missed two each in sports and bestsellers (but did know the TS and missed DD in that category), but I ran the rest of the first round.  Since the "Under the Boardwalk" TS was discussed:   Had it not been covered in Beaches, I don't know that the lyrics would have come to me quickly enough, as the song is not a favorite, so thank you, Miss M.

I missed three in 17th c (I opted for so many history classes in college I briefly considered opting for a double minor [my existing minor was Gender Studies], but sometimes you would never know it from my J! performance) and another three in celebrities (I knew Donald Sutherland and Pauly Shore; no idea whatsoever for the others).  I only ran north, but I got all but ferns in science, all but Stockholm in museums, and all but currycomb (the picture would not have helped) in Y.

Still-famous Christmas song recorded by a woman in 1958 brought Brenda Lee's "Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree" to mind after a bit of thought, so FJ wasn't an instaget, but it came to me in plenty of time and I was certain I was correct.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1

May 28:

77% / 63% / 70%

Decent first round; ran Law, missed one in European History, Bugs, and "Small", and two in Number and Boy Band. In DJ I missed one in Nonfiction Books and Spill the "T", two in Weapon Names, Measure, and Movies, and three in Canadian Cities.

FJ was a near-instaget. And an asterisk! I didn't know they did that, but it seemed like the obvious guess to me.

TSes: (J had 4; DJ had 8) I got oath, Parliament Hill, truncate, and A Quiet Place.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1

FJ was a wild ride for me.  I said Tesla, no Mendeleyev, wait that's the periodic table guy, Mendel, that's who I'm thinking of, wait maybe it's Linnaeus, no it's Mendel.  So, bottom line, got it right.

I got the missed clues of oath, Quebec, and A Quiet Place. 

So-so game.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1

Instaguess FJ for me, and I truly thought I was way off-base and so very very wrong.  I was gobsmacked to find I was correct!  And with an asterisk!

I also got oath, 127 Hours, and A Quiet Place.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
1 hour ago, chessiegal said:

Wow - didn't see that ending coming.

Neither did Abby.  On a shallow note, I liked what I saw of her dress/top and kept wanting to take the sweater off so I could get a better look at it.

I was surprised The Quiet Place was a TS; that seemed pretty popular, and the trailer for the next sequel was showing when this was taped.  I wasn't expecting oath to be a TS, either.

I came so very close to running the entire first round, but I joined the contestants in not knowing 12 in numbers.

I ran weapons, which I was not at all expecting (I knew most of them from TV/movies), and "T", but that was it for DJ.  Still a good round, though -- I missed two each in books and movies (the Ryan Gosling movie I'd never even heard of, but I saw 127 Hours yet didn't have the foggiest memory of what it's called), but got all but the Winnipeg TS in Canada and all but the boiling point TS in measures.

FJ was an instaguess.  I had no idea if that had actually happened, but genetics + born about 150 years ago didn't point me to anyone other than Mendel, so I figured it was a pretty good guess and stuck with it.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1

The "Small" category reminded me of this:
Q: How can you get out of the commodities market [or the cryptocurrency market] with a small fortune?
A:  

Spoiler

Go in with a large fortune.

• Applause 1
  • LOL 8
20 minutes ago, Bastet said:

127 Hours yet didn't have the foggiest memory of what it's called

I knew it was some length of time but that's as far as I got...

• Like 5