Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 40 (2023-2024)

Athena
  • Start Topic

I said Po and then changed my answer to Tiber.

I got the missed clues of choir, radio (after he said TV), jailhouse lawyer, Hyde, and Rickets.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1

May 13:

53% / 60% / 57%

What is happening? I tanked the word category and got all the celebrities?! In J! I ran Celebrities, missed two in Same 3 Letters and Walls, three in Golden Age and Big Geo, and four in Collective Nouns. In DJ I missed one in ___ From The ___,  Colonial America, and Men of Medicine, two in Literary Title Occupation, three in Lexicongress, and four in TV's Fantastical Places. Did not get FJ.

TSes: (J had 8 +  the DD; DJ had 6) I got choir, Natalie Portman, Tiger Woods, Ricketts (just from 'homophone' in the clue; never heard of the doctor), and Philadelphia.

Not a great start to the week but I thought I wouldn't be able to watch at all since my cable wasn't working all weekend. Customer service was no help so they scheduled a service call for Wednesday but when I got home tonight the box was scrolling "turn on" again (which it did twice on Saturday but when I did it just said "something went wrong" and call customer service). When I turned it on this time it worked so I went online and canceled the service call. Considered going to my parents' to watch J! Masters but now I don't have to. So yay.

1 minute ago, Katy M said:

I thought Po and figured it was wrong but blanked on any other Italian rivers.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

I could only think of Po & Arno and knew it was neither. But I at least knew it was Italy--my mom was asking "What are rivers in France?"

• Like 3
9 minutes ago, PaulaO said:

What a bunch of dim bulbs.  I lost count of the number of unanswered clues in the first round.

There were 9, and 6 in the second round, which is a quarter of the clues.

• Like 2
  • Useful 3

I first thought Po, but knew it was not correct, and managed to come up with the correct river in the nick of time.  Whew!

I also got the TS of Hell's Canyon, choir, Natalie Portman, radio, jailhouse lawyer, Hyde, Rickets, and Philadelphia.

Not that it mattered, but Antarctica should not have gotten a BMS.  It should have been ruled incorrect.  McMurdo Station is on Antarctica.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1
1 hour ago, Katy M said:

My thought process went something like: Tiber! ..or maybe Po..but no the Po is more north isn't it? the Tiber is Rome..it is Rome right (checks the clue) yeah seems like Rome so Tiber!

• Like 1
  • Applause 2
1 hour ago, PaulaO said:

What a bunch of dim bulbs.  I lost count of the number of unanswered clues in the first round.

When none of them got "inspector" on the third clue, I lost hope for the game.

• Like 5
  • LOL 1

Lots of TS, and a few, um, interesting incorrect guesses.

I missed three in celebrities, but if not for that I'd have only missed one in the first round -- the Flora TS in golden ages (boy, was that obvious once revealed; had I known there was a goddess by that name, the flowers would have made it an instaget, but I did not).

I had two bad categories in DJ; I dreaded fantastical places and indeed knew not a single one (thanks for nothing, cultural osmosis).  I knew literary could be a tough one, and indeed again; I didn't know any of the works, and the only ones I managed to figure out were medium and jailhouse lawyer.  I did well in the rest of the round, only missing Ricketts (which came to me just a hair too late) and Hyde.

FJ was an instaget.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I dreaded fantastical places and indeed knew not a single one (thanks for nothing, cultural osmosis)

The only one I knew was Bikini Bottom and I can't stand that show. (But I did know the Game of Thrones language was Dothraki in one of the Masters games, even if I don't know the name of the castle.)

5 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I knew literary could be a tough one, and indeed again; I didn't know any of the works, and the only ones I managed to figure out were medium and jailhouse lawyer. 

I got medium but it was a guess (seemed logical, though), I knew Beetle the Bard because I've read the Harry Potter books, and I got Narnia because I knew The Magician's Nephew is one of the titles in the series (but I've never read it). The other two I had no clue.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

The only one I knew was Bikini Bottom

That's the only one I got within shooting distance of, but, alas "Wherever the hell SpongeBob lives" would not have been accepted.  (While the show gets asked about enough on here that undersea cartoon immediately led me to it, I have not managed to pick up any details about it via cultural osmosis.)

• Like 3
(edited)

For FJ I knew right away it was the river that flows through Rome.

But I had to think a bit.  Po? No. Arno? No. Tiber? Yes.

Edited by Trey
  • Like 1
  • Applause 2
16 hours ago, Katy M said:

FJ was an instaget for me.  My film history professor talked about the film studios in and around Rome; Cinecitta is the most well known but there were others, especially in the 50s.

14 hours ago, secnarf said:

When none of them got "inspector" on the third clue, I lost hope for the game.

The names used in the clue confused me because I'd never heard any of them before, so I had no answer even though I absolutely should've gotten it.

13 hours ago, Bastet said:

I dreaded fantastical places

I ran that category despite never having watched a single episode of Veronica Mars.  Something about Neptune sounded right.  The rest I've seen at least some of the show, and I watched GOT and Doctor Who religiously.  (Although I stopped watching DW after Peter Capaldi left.)

• Like 1

60% / 63% / 61%

Did well in half of J! and badly in the other half…ran Atom, missed one in Etymology and Eve, three in Widow Lived On and Picture the Film, and four in "Burg" (and I went to college 20 minutes from Harrisburg so I have no excuse for that one).

Only slightly better in DJ; ran National Park System, missed one in Appeal, two in Prequels & Sequels and Starts & Ends with L, and three in Asian History and Dance Music.

Did not get FJ. I have several cans of Canada Dry ginger ale in my fridge, too.

TSes: (J had 2 + the DD; DJ had 3) I got Blanche Barrow and due process.

7 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I ran that category despite never having watched a single episode of Veronica Mars.  Something about Neptune sounded right. 

I was throwing out planets but didn't get to Neptune in time. 

• Like 1

I said Coca-Cola, because I had no idea and I had to guess something.

I got the missed clues of Baby Face Nelson and Barrow.

I got the entire category of Asian history right.

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

Since cutting back on caffeine ginger ale is about the only soft drink that I drink. There are two boxes! in my room right now. Still didn't get it. Though it is extremely difficult to see the 'map', it's in white, contained in a shield shape with Canada Dry written in red across it. Never knew it was even there.

• Like 4
9 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I ran that category despite never having watched a single episode of Veronica Mars.  Something about Neptune sounded right. 

I on the other hand have seen every episode of VM (binged it during lockdown, I’m thinking) but couldn’t come up with it. I was stuck on …Venice Beach?… when time ran out. 

• Like 1

I couldn't quite decipher how Will pronounced Muir -- something like moo-eer.

The due process TS surprised me.  I know, I know, as a lawyer my perception is skewed, but the basic notion that a requirement for punishment = due process seems out there in the world (in the news, in crime shows, etc.) enough that I fully expected at least one of the three to know it, especially with probable cause ruled out.

This was not my best first round (but not my worst); I only ran burgs and atom.  I got all but one in etymology, but missed two each in the rest.

Not my worst DJ, either, but definitely not a good one.  I did better in Dance Music than I expected -- which is to say I got one ("What is Love").  I was leery of Prequels & Sequels, too, and that apprehension also turned out to be founded, as I only got two (Grisham and Robinson Crusoe).  I missed another two - liminal and lowball - in the vocabulary category, which was a bummer as I normally excel at those, but I ran the rest. 

I never came up with anything for FJ.  The whole time, it felt like something just outside my mental reach, something I was going to do the V-8 head smack over when it was revealed, and ... nope, whatever I was trying to think of, that wasn't it.

• Like 2

Instaget FJ.  Even though I was actually drinking a diet Canada Dry at the time, it was beaver and map that made it an instaget.

• Like 5
(edited)

It was a totally wild guess because Canada Dry was the only thing I could ever remember having a map on it and it has probably been around a while, thought I was way off base but had nothing else. 

Edited by Shrek
  • Like 2
  • Applause 1

Monday FJ: My husband guessed Po. I got stuck at wondering what rivers are in Italy. (Hey, at least I was in the right country!)

Tuesday: I have no idea what the Canada Dry label looks like, but "top of the map" and "beaver" made me first think of northern states. Wisconsin? Minnesota? Nothing there seemed to fit, so I went further north to Canada and it popped in right away. 

• Like 3
  • Applause 2

Archive game for me Tuesday night, and I did not get FJ.  I don't like ginger ale -- that's my excuse and I'm sticking with it! 

I did get some TS, including Barrow and due process.  There might have been others, but I didn't write all of them down.

I'm a little bummed that I couldn't see the photos for the movie category!  Do photos on j-archive ever come up for anyone?

• Like 3
17 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I said Molson at first but changed it to Canada Dry, I think in time to have written it down.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I'm a little bummed that I couldn't see the photos for the movie category!  Do photos on j-archive ever come up for anyone?

No, they never actually have working links. I recall seeing an explanation once but I don't remember what it was.

• Useful 1
3 hours ago, ams1001 said:

No, they never actually have working links. I recall seeing an explanation once but I don't remember what it was.

I couldn't remember either, so looked it up; here is the explanation from one of the archivists.

• Thanks 2
  • Useful 2

May 15:

63% / 59% / 62%

Not having a great week so far… In J! I ran Foodie Book Titles, missed one in Foursomes, two in Sportswomen and TJ Max, and three in Union Men and Antonymic Perrys. In DJ I ran Trees, missed two in 2020s Politics, Runaways, and Next Word in the Dictionary, and three in Period Films and Once Yugoslavia.

But FJ was an instaget, first one of the week.

TSes: (J had 1; DJ had 4 + 1 DD) I got acacia tree and Henry Box Brown.

Hope Grant's chair isn't related to someone hitting his car while he was reading Jeopardy's text!

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

The most instagettiest of instagets for FJ tonight for me.  

I also got the TS of acacia tree, Box, Joe Manchin, and Bidenomics (that one was a guess).  And I hope we can name politicians in this context!

• Like 5
1 hour ago, Browncoat said:

The most instagettiest of instagets for FJ tonight for me.  

I love A Christmas Carol but for some reason I decided that Silas Marner was the only 19th century miser I could think of. 

I was surprised that Ken hesitated to accept Lucy and then appeared to accept the "more specific" Arnaz. Lucille Ball is pretty well known as Lucy and was not known professionally as Arnaz. I don't know whether Jeopardy has a standard rule for accepting married names that the woman doesn't use but in this case it is actually confusing given her daughter is known as Lucie Arnaz. If they were accepting Lucy and disregarding Arnaz I wish they had edited the Arnaz out. 

I knew that Suits had been filmed in Toronto and was sitting here thinking that perhaps that was a bit too obscure for most people, but I have since remembered that because of the association with Harry and Megan Markle's courtship the fact is probably fairly widely known and the only trick is they didn't hint at the Sussexes in the clue.

• Like 6

I wouldn't have accepted Lucy Arnaz for Lucille Ball; their daughter is Lucie Arnaz, and I'm not aware of Ball ever using Desi's last name.

I expected to bomb the Katy Perry category, but the first clue they picked, black & white, immediately put the lyrics in my head, as it turned out to be about one of the two songs of hers I know.  I wound up running it.  Alas, I only ran one other category in the first round, books.  I got all but Tommy John in TJ - I know they've asked about that surgery before, and I never manage to commit it to memory - but missed two each in everything else. 

It wound up being one of those Bizarro World episodes where I did better in DJ; I missed two in films, but kicked ass at everything else, running politics, trees, Yugoslavia, and dictionaries, and getting all but Murakami in runaways.

FJ was an instaguess I had no doubt was correct.

• Like 6

I object in the strongest possible terms to their accepting "Lucy Arnaz." Lucie Arnaz (spelled that way) is Desi and Lucy's daughter. Lucille Ball was never known by any other name but "Ball," neither during her marriage to Desi nor during her marriage to Gary Morton.

"Lucie Arnaz" is a different person, and was NOT the person that Nicole Kidman played in "Being the Ricardos." Bad call by the judges.

• Like 4
  • Applause 4
(edited)
12 hours ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

I knew that Suits had been filmed in Toronto and was sitting here thinking that perhaps that was a bit too obscure for most people,

I didn't know that Suits filmed there, but Toronto and Vancouver are the Canadian cities where a lot of US shows have filmed over the years, and Vancouver is too far from NYC to have fit the clue so Toronto it was.

11 hours ago, Bastet said:

I wouldn't have accepted Lucy Arnaz for Lucille Ball; their daughter is Lucie Arnaz, and I'm not aware of Ball ever using Desi's last name.

I wouldn't have either.

Oh, and FJ was an instaget.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Like 5

May 16:

53% / 53% / 52%

Ugh. In J I ran Ends with LY, missed two in Abba and Middle, three in Anagrammed Authors and Middle, three in Close States in the Presidential Election, and four in Monsters. In DJ I missed one in Add a Letter, two in TV "Q" and Science Experiments, and three in the rest.

Did not get FJ; I also guessed Archduke Ferdinand.

TSes: (J had 1 + the DD; DJ had 9) I got anomaly (DD), tally, Quincy, aunt/taunt, and clutch.

I noticed Grant seems to be taking a page out of Matt Amodio's playbook with starting his responses with "what's"...

• Like 6

I said Stain, because I didn't know.

I got the missed clues of Saudi Arabia, anomaly, tally, rubber, Quincy, Bolivia and aunt/taunt.

I got the entire category of Abba right.

• Like 2

I didn't even have a guess for FJ.  History has never been my strong suit.

I did get the TS of anomaly, rubber, Quincy, a heap, Bolivia, and clutch.

And I finally figured out who Grant reminds me of -- Weird Al.  It isn't just the hair, it's the shape of his face as well.  

• Like 7
43 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I didn't even have a guess for FJ.  History has never been my strong suit.

Same! 
I did get the TSs of Quincy and bevy.

44 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I finally figured out who Grant reminds me of -- Weird Al.  It isn't just the hair, it's the shape of his face as well.  

I hadn't thought of it, but you are right.

1 hour ago, ams1001 said:

I noticed Grant seems to be taking a page out of Matt Amodio's playbook with starting his responses with "what's"...

And Grant seems to have the potential to follow in Matt Amodio's footsteps. 

• Like 5

*sigh* I instantly knew it was "the guy who assassinated Archduke Franz Ferdinand".

I couldn't drag his name out of my brain in time. Had I been playing for real, I might have written down Ferdinand's name anyways in case I was a bit off the mark, since I couldn't remember Princip.

• Like 5
  • Applause 1

I missed three in authors, but if not for that damn anagram category I'd have only missed two in the entire first round -- Jimmy Eat World and homily (I was right on the brink of dragging that one from my brain to my mouth when Elizabeth said it).

In DJ, I ran Add a Letter (I love those categories), countries, and experiments, and got all but the Wild Bunch TS in west.  I missed two each in the rest.

Since "the guy who assassinated Archduke Ferdinand" does not count, no FJ for me.

• Like 5
13 hours ago, Browncoat said:

And I finally figured out who Grant reminds me of -- Weird Al.

That's what my son said too.

A good game for me overall but I did not get FJ.

• Like 2
(edited)
14 hours ago, Katy M said:

I got the entire category of Abba right.

For those of us of a certain age, Abba was right up our alley.

14 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

Same here. Right airport, wrong gate. 

Like others, I had directions to the right gate - but couldn't get there. "The guy who assassinated Archduke Ferdinand." I'm not sure I ever really knew his name, but based on the name of the person whose grave he visited, had an idea about his origins, which got me there (well, nearby)

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Like 4
16 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Did not get FJ; I also guessed Archduke Ferdinand.

I started with the Archduke Franz Ferdinand but then realized the name of the man whose grave it was had to be Serbian so I switched to his murderer.  Unfortunately, although I could remember his first name, Gavrilo, I couldn't come up with Princep.  D'you think they would've accepted "the guy who assassinated Archduke Franz Ferdinand, Gavrilo something"?  😕

15 hours ago, Browncoat said:

And I finally figured out who Grant reminds me of -- Weird Al.  It isn't just the hair, it's the shape of his face as well.  

I thought that too!

• Like 2
  • Applause 1

I somehow dragged Princip from the dark recesses of my brain.   Grant must be sitting on a chair.  I noticed he swivels.  Or the chair does……

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
30 minutes ago, PaulaO said:

I somehow dragged Princip from the dark recesses of my brain.   Grant must be sitting on a chair.  I noticed he swivels.  Or the chair does……

Yes, Grant is on a chair. You can see the arms.

• Like 2

I have less sports knowledge than anyone on the planet. From the deepest dusty corner of my mind I yelled “Steve Carlton!” at the screen while my husband gave me the “that can’t be right” look. I’ve never been more beautifully vindicated. 

• Like 1
  • Fire 3
  • Applause 3

As a lifelong New Englander, this is embarrassing, but I had no idea for FJ.

I got the missed clues of Phoebe, touris, domain, West Virginia/Arkansas, Larua Ingalls, One Day at a Time and nashed.

I got the entire categories of lit character an gnowledge right.

• Like 2