Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 40 (2023-2024)

Athena
  • Start Topic

2 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

Not many more, I hope. I'm not entirely sure why, but I haven't been able to warm to her.

I've found her stories funny during the interview portion. I find it less cute when she throws out random responses to clues she doesn't know. 

Found this exchange funny on the J! Facebook thread for the "Great Brits" FJ category:

image.png

• LOL 1
16 hours ago, Katy M said:

I won't embarrass myself by giving my answer, but I got FJ way wrong.

I said Darwin but didn't think that could be right.  Really I had no clue.  I know very little about Newton except for the apple/gravity story, his laws of thermodynamics and that Fig Newtons were not named for him.

16 hours ago, dgpolo said:

I said, it's Newton, it's always Newton.

It's always Newton when they want an English physicist but there was nothing in the clue which told me that, unfortunately.

18 hours ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

I do not automatically supply Philadelphia with vireo but I ought to have made the connection from Quakers.

I got it from Delaware County.  Helps that I live just below the Mason-Dixon line and have some familiarity with the counties of southeastern PA.

14 hours ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

Also, what the hell was Ken thinking accepting Venice for Florence in that category?

Brain fart?  Glad he corrected it right away.  I was like "WTF?  That's Florence!".

14 hours ago, ams1001 said:

She lost $2800 on the band questions (she rang in on two and was wrong; Joshua and Adam each got one and the last was a TS but no one attempted it).

I am very pleased to say I ran that category.  Sidenote: a radio station to which I listen in my car has a habit of playing certain songs multiple times in the same day for weeks at a time; more than once that song has been Our House by Madness.

14 hours ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

Certainly unusual for the mistake to make it into the broadcast at any rate.

I think that's because he corrected it right away and another contestant got the right answer.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
17 minutes ago, Driad said:

Is there a place to search for a contestant's name if you don't know which season they were on?  I found https://www.jeopardy.com/search but it does not seem to work.  adTHANKSvance!

You can try searching on the J! Archive (tiny search box at the top of the page).

https://www.j-archive.com/showcategories.php

3 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

Brain fart?  Glad he corrected it right away.  I was like "WTF?  That's Florence!".

I wonder if he just misheard and was quickly corrected. The way it played out seems like it might be hard to edit smoothly.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1

I got FJ, yay! Also got the TSs of crow, Beetlejuice, crayons, otter, Land of the Lost, and -trying to claw my way to Spenser- got Robert Urich instead.

• Like 2
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 3

April 16:

73% / 70% / 70%

Decent game…in J! I ran The Movies, missed one in Lived Past 100, Don't Eat That, and Fun "Z"s, two in Fictional Driver, and three in Countries. In DJ I missed one in Making Noise, Say it in Spanish, and "M"edical Dictionary, and two in Clumsiest Time Traveler, Siblings in Pop Culture, and Land of Milk & Honey. Did not get FJ.

TSes: (J had 8; DJ had 6 + 1DD) I got crayons, zydeco, Beetlejuice, crow, otter, manuka honey, blue zone, and burrito (DD, before he got it out).

Darn, I was kinda rooting for Eric (mostly on my "if there are two women and one man, or vice versa, and I don't have strong feelings about any of them, I root for the odd one out" philosophy). I like Alison but I'm not attached to seeing her go on a long run.

• Like 2

FJ was obvious once revealed, but I said apex because I didn't know.

I got the missed clues of On the Road, crayons, Zombie, Zydeco,  Beetlejuice, Spenser, Land of the Lost, water buffalo (after yak) and crow.

I got the entire categories of Z and literary driver right.

• Like 6

I didn't get FJ tonight, either.

I did get a lot of the many TS, though, including crayons, Humble Pie, zydeco, Beetlejuice, crow, otter, clogging, and Land of the Lost.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1

Humble Pie was Steve Marriott’s band but the writers figured nobody would know his name.  Obviously nobody knew Frampton…. I need black coffee now.

• Like 4
35 minutes ago, Shrek said:

How did nobody get Beetlejuice ?

I do have to say though, I thought the clue was kind of clunky, I had started trying to unweave it when I realized I didn't really have to, Geena Davis + Alec Baldwin = Beetlejuice. Didn't really need the part about Netflix or 'spirited' or even 'deceased'.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
15 hours ago, dgpolo said:

I got FJ, yay! Also got the TSs of crow, Beetlejuice, crayons, otter, Land of the Lost, and -trying to claw my way to Spenser- got Robert Urich instead.

So close...

15 hours ago, Katy M said:

So close too...

39 minutes ago, PaulaO said:

Humble Pie was Steve Marriott’s band but the writers figured nobody would know his name.  Obviously nobody knew Frampton…. I need black coffee now.

I only knew Frampton from his solo years - and never knew anything about him or his background. Just that long curly hair 😘

• Like 3
(edited)
36 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

I only knew Frampton from his solo years - and never knew anything about him or his background. Just that long curly hair 😘

In my mid twenties I had hair identical to that, long blonde curls half way down my back just like Frampton on the cover of Frampton Comes Alive & yes I'm a male, now it's just grey & short.

Edited by Shrek
  • Like 1
  • Wink 2
  • Fire 3
16 hours ago, Katy M said:

I said Yalta despite being sure they wanted something that wasn't a place name.

2 hours ago, PaulaO said:

I can thank my older brother for my getting this clue.  Not that I remember anything about their music but I do remember the cover of the album Thunderbox with its keyhole picture of a woman on a toilet.  Obviously that really impressed my 9 year old self.

2 hours ago, dgpolo said:

I do have to say though, I thought the clue was kind of clunky, I had started trying to unweave it when I realized I didn't really have to, Geena Davis + Alec Baldwin = Beetlejuice. Didn't really need the part about Netflix or 'spirited' or even 'deceased'.

I didn't think it was clunky at all.  The clues should be a little more complex than just a simple equation.  I got it right away but there wasn't anything in the clue which should've confused anyone who knows the movie.

• Like 2
17 hours ago, dgpolo said:

Yes! I could see Robert Urich’s face - and damn, he was in everything! - but couldn’t come up with the name of the character. 

So sad that he died at a young age. I can’t believe it’s been over 20 years.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Was surprised Manuka was a triple/quad (Ken!) stumper. I’ve been a product tester for a Major Online Retailer for 16 years. Probably half of the beauty products have Manuka honey. Let alone the honey market itself. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
12 minutes ago, Quickbeam said:

Was surprised Manuka was a triple/quad (Ken!) stumper. I’ve been a product tester for a Major Online Retailer for 16 years. Probably half of the beauty products have Manuka honey. Let alone the honey market itself. 

I've never heard of Manuka.

• Like 4
  • Fire 2
1 hour ago, Quickbeam said:

One of the youtube channels I watch has Manukora honey as a sponsor, so I see them do ads for it fairly frequently.

Their "most popular" raw honey starts at $80 for 8.82 ounces, or $64 if you subscribe for delivery every four weeks. The one labeled "best value" is $120, or $96 if you subscribe. I don't know how they determine the value.

I think I first heard of manuka generally because it was on an offer in the Target app and I was curious. The brand they carry in store is Wedderspoon and is $20 for an 8.8-ounce jar. Which is still more than I'm willing to pay for honey.

• Like 2

I’m confused.  Ken said if Alison wins today, she will be season 40’s first qualifier for the TOC.  When does season 40 end?

• Like 1
(edited)

Go Alison!

I'll be watching something else tonight, so just checked the archive and am glad to see she dominated again.  But she had a lot of wrong answers, and I suspect whenever she loses that may wind up being the cause of it.

The "get your kicks above the waistline, sunshine" hint in the Bangkok clue has that awful "One Night in Bangkok" song stuck in my head.

If not for the original language category, I'd have only missed two in the entire first round, but I was terrible in that one, missing three.  

Far better than in DJ, though, in which I didn't run anything.  I got all but one in food and TV Music, but missed two each in all the rest.

FJ was an instaget, at least.

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 1
11 minutes ago, PaulaO said:

Ken said if Alison wins today, she will be season 40’s first qualifier for the TOC.  When does season 40 end?

End of July, I believe. She'd be the first qualifier (5 wins is a guarantee) since "Season 40" didn't really start until a couple of weeks ago! 

• Like 2
  • Useful 1

April 17:

73% / 60% / 67%

Decent first round, not so great second (but I'm glad I can finally call 60% "not so great" again). In J! I missed one in Original Language, Inventors, Orange, and Ends with B, and two in Yosemite and Gory Movie Category. In DJ I missed one in Floundering Fathers, Animal Life, and TV Music, two in F is for Food and Words from Mythology, and totally failed Things to do in the City (but they missed three of them, too). I got FJ (though I was confused because I thought they recently had a clue about the March of Dimes but then I realized that was last week's Weakest Link).

TSes: (J had 6; DJ had 8 + 1DD) I got roundhouse, machine gun, Junoesque, Sargasso Sea, and Madison.

Agent Orange was a $1000 clue? Second day in a row one of the players wasn't around for Final J.

I was rooting for Jeff cuz he lives like 20 minutes from me.

• Like 3

FJ was an instaget.

I got the missed clues of Chines, coxcomb (after comb), panic, and hawksbill.

I got the entire category of language, gory and orange right.

• Like 5

Woo hoo!  I got FJ!  And it was an instaget!  That's my first FJ this week.

I also got the TS of coxcomb, El Capitan, roundhouse, semi, aegis, hawksbill, Sargasso Sea, Hiroshima, and James Madison. 

• Like 5
  • Applause 2
3 hours ago, Bastet said:

But she had a lot of wrong answers, and I suspect whenever she loses that may wind up being the cause of it.

I have reached the point of rooting against Alison. At least, I don't want to see runaways when she makes a lot of careless wrong guesses. Make FJ competitive and exciting! 

I knew Junoesque, aegis, and panic. I guessed machine gun without confidence. I also got Bangkok because of the song lyrics and really thought Ken should have highlighted that part of the clue when he gave the response because if you don't know it that makes zero sense. 

I'm wondering whether the contestants are too much of the same generation and that's why there have been so many blank stares, especially for things that make me and Ken feel old. 

• Like 8
3 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Agent Orange was a $1000 clue?

I try not to think about the placement too much. Sometimes things that seem obvious to me may not be obvious to an older or younger generation -- and sometimes there was an issue in the studio and they had to use a substitute clue. According to my understanding they have only one backup at the ready so the clue may not seem to have the right value since it could get plugged in anywhere.

• Like 2
  • Useful 5

I am aware of the former existence of Humble Pie, but couldn't have told you who was in it. If I had to guess, I might have said Steve Winwood. I had no idea Peter Frampton did anything other than his very annoying and bewilderingly popular solo records.

Alison had eight missed swings tonight. If she tries to guess like that in TOC she won't get past the first round. I think the only reason she's doing so well now is the competition hasn't been that strong. (Fourteen TSs tonight, yikes!)

As I was checking the TS count on j-archive, I noticed that they corrected Ken's assertion that Junoesque would make a great Scrabble word. Nope, capitalized words are not accepted! 

4 hours ago, PaulaO said:

I’m confused.  Ken said if Alison wins today, she will be season 40’s first qualifier for the TOC.  When does season 40 end?

I assume they will hold off on the next TOC until after season 41. Otherwise, there will be a whole lot of invitees! (Or maybe they'll do another qualifying tournament, which would mean basically replaying the whole season, lol.)

4 hours ago, Bastet said:

that awful "One Night in Bangkok" song stuck in my head

Just in case it managed to unstick, now you have it back. Hee. Sorry, couldn't resist.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 2
15 hours ago, The Wild Sow said:

Yes! I could see Robert Urich’s face - and damn, he was in everything!

My late mom liked him. He did an Excedrin commercial where he referred to a really bad headache as a "bangeroo."  So when Mom couldn't remember his name, she just called him Bangeroo, which we did until the end of his life.

• Like 4
  • LOL 5
  • Love 3
13 hours ago, Bastet said:

The "get your kicks above the waistline, sunshine" hint in the Bangkok clue has that awful "One Night in Bangkok" song stuck in my head.

Surely you meant to say "that delightful One Night in Bangkok song." 😀

I, too, have never heard of "Manuka." Honey, to the best of my knowledge, comes in little squeezable plastic bears.

• Like 3
  • LOL 7
9 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

Alison had eight missed swings tonight. If she tries to guess like that in TOC she won't get past the first round. I think the only reason she's doing so well now is the competition hasn't been that strong.

I'm not a fan of Alison because of her tactic of buzzing in w/o knowing the answer. She reminds me of the child who always has their hand up in class, waving it around, and saying I know, I know, I know.  I also am over her opening performance of head shaking and disbelief when she is introduced daily. 

I have also been surprised by some of the TS's.  Maybe, as someone said previously, there needs to be more older contestants on the show - lol.

• Like 6
  • Wink 1
15 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I think I first heard of manuka generally because it was on an offer in the Target app and I was curious.

I have a vague idea that it was mentioned in a Brokenwood Mysteries episode 🤔

• Like 1
1 hour ago, PaulaO said:

I had no idea what the sunshine waistline clue referred to.  I’m waaaay too old to know One Night in Bangkok.

I know the song, or at least the chorus, but I guess I don't know the lyrics that well. Also haven't heard it in forever. I figured the clue was referencing a song but not sure I would have made the connection (certainly not before time was up).

• Like 2
On 4/17/2024 at 8:19 AM, Shrek said:

In my mid twenties I had hair identical to that, long blonde curls half way down my back just like Frampton on the cover of Frampton Comes Alive & yes I'm a male, now it's just grey & short.

So's Peter Frampton's. 😉

2 hours ago, PaulaO said:

I had no idea what the sunshine waistline clue referred to.  I’m waaaay too old to know One Night in Bangkok.

I can't find the clue - but I remember the One Night in Bangkok answer. Despite being old I remembered the title. Just looked it up on YouTube. I remember the video, and I don't hate the song. It's kinda catchy, imo.

• Like 4
  • LOL 2

I have a long-time friend who would've gotten the Bangkok song in a heartbeat. There was a time in her life she was obsessed with the original cast album of "Chess" - where the song is from. She played the CD incessantly.  Unfortunately, she was campaign manager for a city commissioner seat and I was a volunteer on the campaign. ALL the campaign workers were subjected to Wendy's obsession. LOL.

• Like 5
24 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

I can't find the clue - but I remember the One Night in Bangkok answer. Despite being old I remembered the title. Just looked it up on YouTube. I remember the video, and I don't hate the song. It's kinda catchy, imo.

The clue was "Deal with 77º temps in its cold season & get your kicks above the waistline, sunshine, with a mussel omelet at Daeng Racha Hoi Tod"

• Useful 2
3 hours ago, laredhead said:

I also am over her opening performance of head shaking and disbelief when she is introduced daily. 

This. One time was believable and acceptable. Now, it's phony humility. Also, she's doing Sam's "Bring it" each time the last clue is hers. Stop it!

I don't dislike her. There are many contestants who bug me more, but she's not on my favorites list.

Just my opinion.

• Like 8

Alison sure pulled the DD of St. Petersburg from somewhere.  And I’ll restate my opinion:  only Sam Buttrey can say bring it.  Contestants should be told at there briefing to knock it off.

• Like 6
  • Applause 1
2 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

Sung by Murray Head, older brother of Anthony Stewart Head from Buffy, and the original Judas on the Jesus Christ Superstar concept album.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 6
5 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

It was released 40 years ago so I thought maybe only we old or verging on old would be familiar with it.

• Like 2
21 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Woo hoo!  I got FJ!  And it was an instaget!  That's my first FJ this week.

I also got the TS of coxcomb, El Capitan, roundhouse, semi, aegis, hawksbill, Sargasso Sea, Hiroshima, and James Madison. 

FJ was an instaget for me too.  The year gave me a president in a wheelchair and that gave me a charity focused on paralysis.

5 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I like the song but don't know the lyrics well enough for that to have helped me.

17 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

As I was checking the TS count on j-archive, I noticed that they corrected Ken's assertion that Junoesque would make a great Scrabble word. Nope, capitalized words are not accepted! 

They are when my BFF and I play because we're not sticklers for all the rules.

5 hours ago, ProudMary said:

Now, it's phony humility.

I prefer her humility, which I don't believe is phony at all, to other contestants' arrogance.

3 hours ago, MrAtoz said:

the original Judas on the Jesus Christ Superstar concept album.

Where the original Jesus was Ian Gillan of Deep Purple and Mary Magdalen was Yvonne Elliman.  Best cast for JCS ever.

• Like 8
(edited)

Doc Holliday was a bad Ass, nothing like Ashley Wilkes.  Where did the writers come up with that clue.  Insta get FJ!

Edited by PaulaO
  • Like 4
2 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I got FJ. 

Me too, I did briefly hit on Arkansas but quickly went East and Connecticut was the earliest in the alphabet I could think of, also got Linney, Purple Heart and sackcloth.

• Like 3

Arkansas never occurred to me.  I started with the East coast and the beginning of the alphabet, and got to the correct state with plenty of time to write it down.  Oooh, it's an asterisk!  But it wasn't an instaget.

I also got the TS of Rio de Janeiro, Viola Davis, Jessica Chastain, and Laura Linney.

• Like 4