Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 40 (2023-2024)

Athena
  • Start Topic

I guessed Magellan for FJ. Meh. Although I never mind getting the answer wrong, as long as at least one of the contestants gets the same wrong answer. It comforts me to know I’m no dumber than an actual Jeopardy player. (And in this case, a champion.)

Edited by 30 Helens
  • Like 3
  • Applause 1

I got no ts's.

My first thought for FJ was Marco Polo but I soon switched to Vasco da Gama. At least it was in the right time frame. I did get a mental glimmer that it might be Columbus but that faded away immediately.  Too bad they didn't put the year in the clue.

• Like 3
17 hours ago, chicagofan said:

I suck - still no FJ this week.

You should join the contest. Then you'd be at home with us when you have your occasional bad week.

1 hour ago, chessiegal said:

I'm glad Ken explained that Columbus thought he was in the Indian Ocean when he was actually in the Caribbean. I don't associate Columbus with the Indian Ocean. I said Magellan. 

That was a tricksy clue.

Against all odds, I chose Columbus. Simply because of "Cadiz" - I waffled because of the "Indian Ocean" bit, but I stuck to it. Afterwards I thought, well, probably more than one of the other choices sailed out of Cadiz, but I was glad I stuck with it due to faulty reasoning. 

I associate Cadiz with my time in Seville as a military brat, and Columbus because we visited the Alhambra and my fourth grade self was totally awed that I was walking down a hall Columbus had once walked down. It was well before the more rounded, and negative view of him came to light.

Did pretty well with the overall game. So I was a happy camper.

• Like 4
  • Applause 2

Finally!

Not a great game today - but consistent. Got the same number right in the J round and DJ. In the J round I ran "Map Happy" and got 4 in "Take the "A" Train". There were no TSs, and I didn't get the missed DD.

In DJ, I ran "Jacques of All Trades" and got 4 in "Hall of Famer by Position". TSs/missed DDs were center, pitcher, wide receiver, Marquette, Montgolfier (not a true TS), Polk (DD) and Ways and Means Committee.

Finally, my first FJ of the week, and a big time instaget. I even knew that they were referring to Jean Kennedy Smith. Yay!

• Like 6

October 26:

67% / 47% / 57%

Not a great game today...first round wasn't too terrible…ran The Camera Man, missed one in Science & Technology, two in Mob Hits (of course one of the ones I missed is the only one I've actually seen…), Take the "A" Training, and Fashion Statements, and three in Map Happy.

DJ was terrible…missed one in House, two in Let's Go Lobstering, three in Books & Authors, Hall of Famer By Position, and Jacques of All Trades, and four in Of Representatives.

But I got FJ…it was sort of a guess but I couldn't think of another family that I would describe as "dynastic" (and I was assuming it was an American family).

TSes: (J had the missed DD but no actual TS; DJ had 11 + both DDs) I got Atonement (DD) and baseball pitchers (complete guess).

• Like 3

Instaget FJ, but I really tried hard to think of another family -- it couldn't be that easy, right?  Fortunately, unlike the other day with Columbus, I stuck with my first instinct.  Incidentally, Carnegie was Scottish.

I also got the TS of Rachel Carson, Atonement, house martin, Ways & Means, kitchen, Marquette, center, and wide receiver.

It appeared to me that Yoshie should get her eyes checked and perhaps get glasses or contacts before her next game.  She was squinting so much to see what clues were left!

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Browncoat said:

Instaget FJ, but I really tried hard to think of another family -- it couldn't be that easy, right?  Fortunately, unlike the other day with Columbus, I stuck with my first instinct.

Same for me too again. Does that make us Jeopardy! Twins? LOL
I did think I'd be wrong about Kennedy because there's still one carrying on the name in govt. these days. But with Ireland in the clue, I went with Kennedy. 

I got Mason's missed DD thanks to this pneumonic from 6th grade almost 60 years ago:

• When A Joke Made Me A Joker, Van Had To Polk The Firey Poker, But Let Jokes Go. Hastily Galloping 'Cross Country...

Thankfully it was one I could easily identify quickly.
Unfortunately, Mason did not know it. 
But they all lost money on DDs, right?

I thought a lot of the clues were easy.
Except for sports, heh. 🙃
Although I actually knew the TS was hockey, but not "goalie."
Those were definitely hockey player names: 
Gump Worsley, Shrimp Worters, and Rat Westwick.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

Well, I instantly knew it was the Kennedys, but I thought they wanted to know which Kennedy. I ultimately settled on Jean and then realized all they wanted was the family *sigh*.

For yesterday, I got Columbus, but only after the first incorrect response was revealed. I was a bit slow, I guess, but I hope it still counts.

So far this week I am 4/4 for Final Jeopardy. It all rests on tomorrow, will I get my very first 5/5? It's probably going to be some ridiculous sports thing or something totally out of my wheelhouse.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Not a great game overall but not too bad either.

I got the ts's of Marquette, pitchers, and goalies.

FJ was an instaget but it was so easy I doubted myself.  However, there wasn't any other family that seemed to fit the bill.

I also shouted out that Carnegie was Scottish, not Irish, but it was too late and didn't really matter by then.

11 hours ago, secnarf said:

For yesterday, I got Columbus, but only after the first incorrect response was revealed. I was a bit slow, I guess, but I hope it still counts.

Sometimes I'm strict with myself, sometimes not so much.  I figure if I get it before the correct answer is revealed then it's a get for me.

• Like 5
16 hours ago, ams1001 said:

But I got FJ…it was sort of a guess but I couldn't think of another family that I would describe as "dynastic" (and I was assuming it was an American family).

Though I couldn't remember which one had died recently (my only concern about my answer) I figured Ireland, butt load of kids, and dynasty equaled the Kennedys. Did think it might be a trick question - but I stuck to it.

• Like 3
On 10/26/2023 at 10:23 AM, chessiegal said:

I'm glad Ken explained that Columbus thought he was in the Indian Ocean when he was actually in the Caribbean. I don't associate Columbus with the Indian Ocean. I said Magellan. 

Columbus was my first thought because he was supposed to go to that part of the world and only accidentally hit the Americas.  He thought he was in the Indian Ocean even though he wasn't.  I almost changed it to Magellan but then decided this was the angle the writers were taking.

Last night's FJ was almost too easy, which I think is what messed up Mason.  Rats, I actually remembered him and wanted him to win.  I thought I remembered Tony but then realized it was his last name which was familiar and I was actually thinking of Daniel Freitas, the driver for Minotaur on Battlebots.  Not quite the same thing.

• Like 3
17 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I got Mason's missed DD thanks to this pneumonic from 6th grade almost 60 years ago:

• When A Joke Made Me A Joker, Van Had To Polk The Firey Poker, But Let Jokes Go. Hastily Galloping 'Cross Country...

I got it only because of the They Might Be Giants song James K Polk which includes the lyric "Mr James K Polk our 11th President".

• Like 3
  • Useful 2

A tale of two rounds - good J round, DJ not so much.

In the J round I ran "The "Long" & "Short" of It" and got 4 in "The Last Supper", "Quotable Cinema" and "Anatomy". One TS - short stories.

In DJ the only good category was "Broadway Musicals by Character" which I ran. TSs/missed DDs were the human body (DD), The Book of Mormon ("Elder" in the clue gave it to me) and spores.

Good end to the week in FJ. My thought "It's one of two, it's one of two. It's Franklin or Jefferson - which one?". I finally settled on Franklin for my second FJ this week after starting the week 0 for 3.

• Like 3

October 27:

63% / 77% / 70%

Thought it was gonna be a crappy game but I did much better in the second round than the first. In J! I missed one in Anatomy and two in everything else. In DJ I ran Broadway Musicals by Characters and Microscopy, missed one in "A"uthors and Bad English, two in Leonardo Da Vinci, and three in Street Smarts.

I got FJ! My tenth straight correct FJ!! Two perfect weeks in a row!!! 🤯

TSes: (J had 4; DJ had 6 + 1DD) I got short stories, human body (DD), Deluge, Book of Mormon, spores, and subject.

• Like 1
  • Fire 1
  • Applause 5

I waffled briefly between Jefferson and Franklin, but settled on Franklin in the end.  

I also got the TS of Whale Rider, short stories, Book of Mormon, spores, subject, and deluge.  I wasn't looking at the clue for "fragment" or I might have gotten that one as well.

• Like 4

Thanks, Hamilton!  It’s Franklin, right? Too obvious?  Maybe Jefferson?  Nope, I remembered a line from the number where Mr. Jefferson was coming home - “I basically missed the late 80s”. So 1779 would have been too early for him to have started out overseas. So since those were the only two possibilities I could come up with, Franklin it is!

• Like 7
  • Useful 3

Well, thanks to Hamilton, I said Jefferson - not remembering the exact year he came home, only that he was in France and the vague timeline would have matched. Although, he could have started in 1779 and still come back in 1789? I doubt I would have thought of Franklin in time; I completely forgot he was ambassador to France.

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1
50 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I waffled briefly between Jefferson and Franklin, but settled on Franklin in the end. 

I said Franklin, then thought "Jefferson...?" but then decided to stick with my first instinct.

Edited by ams1001
  • Like 4
  • Applause 1

I said Franklin and had to think about how I knew that. Best I came up with is for a very short period, I joined an historic novel book club. The first book was about Jefferson, so I'm sure Franklin was discussed. I lasted 3 books. Not my genre.

• Like 6

An okay game for me although I got only two ts's, short stories an spores.

FJ was another instaget.  I knew Franklin was ambassador to France - didn't know if he was USA's first ambassador but figured he was likely to be.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
13 hours ago, secnarf said:

Well, thanks to Hamilton, I said Jefferson - not remembering the exact year he came home, only that he was in France and the vague timeline would have matched. Although, he could have started in 1779 and still come back in 1789? I doubt I would have thought of Franklin in time; I completely forgot he was ambassador to France.

I decided on Franklin because of the series "John Adams," and remembered Franklin was in France when Jefferson came. Wasn't exactly sure, but a couple of scenes stuck in my mind, so I went with it.

It was a pretty good board except for the micro whatever (too lazy to look it up).

• Like 4

Not the best start to the week. Only one good category in the J round - got 4 in "5 Rhymes". TSs were Carl Jung, botch and scalene.

Did a little better in DJ. Ran "Bring Out Your Fred" and got 4 in "Shakespeare Rewrites the Beatles" and "Found in ROY G BIV". TSs/missed DDs were Blue Nile (DD) and Mood Indigo.

Picked the wrong state for FJ. Thought of Pennsylvania, California, Texas, even gave some consideration to Florida. In the end I picked California. I-5 is what pulled me in that direction. Hope it doesn't take me until Thursday to get a  correct FJ like last week.

• Like 1

October 30:

73% / 50% / 62%

Decent first round, terrible second…In J! I ran Non-Naughty Words and 5 Rhymes, missed one in It's In Your Mind, two in Let's Face It and The Jokers, and three in Triangles. In DJ I missed one in Organic Chemistry, two in Bring Out Your Fred and Shakespeare Rewrites the Beatles, three in Found in Roy G. Biv and Accenté, and four in Close Encounters of the Third Kind

Got FJ, though. Off to a good start there!

TSes: (J had 7; DJ had 5 + 1DD) I got Carl Jung, transference, dam, botch, strive, and acid. 

• Like 2

My first thought was Texas, but I waffled, because I thought that was too obvious.  I considered California and Montana, and even considered some eastern states that are criss-crossed with interstates, but in the end went with Texas.  

I also got the TS of botch, dam, Jung, transference, Ticket To Ride, and carbolic acid.

And I laughed out loud when TJ finally got to be correct with his guess of Heath Ledger.

• Like 7

I came across the FJ clue earlier today, and, as a Californian, initially stayed here, thinking of I-5, but quickly changed to TX as driving its span of I-10 takes forever (well, at least it feels that way) and I remembered they also have several other long stretches of interstate, while most of our other longest highways aren't interstates.

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 5

Having driven, ridden, and hitchhiked across the US, and flown over it, and moved across it, I looked at the FJ category and thought: I got this.
First I pictured the expanse of Montana on maps — although that’s probably exaggerated by Mercator projections.
Then I considered Tennessee.
But then I excitedly thought of Texas, and was reasonably sure that was it. 
I didn’t consider California because I got stuck on the idea of East-West.  

TS instagets were dam, transference, and [carbolic] acid.

I didn’t run any categories, but got 4 out of 5 in most.

• Like 4

Well, for FJ today I was utterly unburdened of knowledge to bog me down. I picked Texas as the geographically largest of the lower 48 states. Makes sense it would have the most miles of highway, as the physically largest, right?

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
50 minutes ago, secnarf said:

Well, for FJ today I was utterly unburdened of knowledge to bog me down. I picked Texas as the geographically largest of the lower 48 states. Makes sense it would have the most miles of highway, as the physically largest, right?

That was my reasoning...

• Like 3

Another okay game for me.

I got the ts's  and missed DD of transference, Triangle Shirtwaist Factory (probably doesn't really count since I knew only the Triangle part and couldn't remember the other part until the contestant said it), manqué, Blue Nile, and acid.

For FJ my first thought was Texas, using the same reasoning as @secnarf, but I also thought of California.  However, I stuck with Texas.

• Like 3

I got FJ.

I got the missed clues of temperate, David Letterman, drill, humans, and Picasso.

I got the entire categories of tropic of Capricorn, wonder and monkeys right.

I was pretty shocked that I only missed the $800 clue in Gehry.  Not into architecture at all.

• Like 1
  • Applause 2

October 31: 🎃

73% / 60% / 67%

Pretty much a repeat of last night...Decent first round and terrible second (though not quite as bad)…In J! I ran Tropic of Capricorn, missed one in Show Me the Monkey, Hmmm I Wonder, and "E"asy Does It, two in Source of the Late Night Bit, and three in Sexy Stuff. In DJ I missed one in Topic of Capricorns, Frank Gehry, and words in Halloween, two in Monster Manual, three in Night at the Museum, and four in The World Series (no surprise there; I only got the Cubs because of the curse thing). 

I got FJ! An absolute guess! I didn't think the comic was that old but I figured it was probably one of Charles's grandkids and Archie was the only one whose name I could think of.

TSes: (J had 6; DJ had 1 + 1DD) I got temperate, humans, and pair bonds.

I can't believe I didn’t get Kit Carson.

Also I watch Seth Meyers but I don't remember that bit (just googled and the only videos that came up were from 2015; not sure I've been watching quite that long).

Happy Halloween! 👻

Edited by ams1001
  • Like 3

I got FJ!  I went through the names of Charles' grandkids, pausing briefly at Charlotte (thinking of Charlotte's Web), but knew she was higher than 6th.  I got to the correct child just in time to write it down, although I had no idea of the other person with the same name until Ken said it.

I also got the TS of temperate, pair bonds, and halo.

Kit Carson shout out!

• Like 6
  • LOL 1

If someone doesn't really care much about the BRF, it's easy to get confused by the "in line" number because most people just know the common individuals like William, Harry, etc. 

But the 1941 introduction of the character was the real giveaway because if you think what character became popular around that time that shares a name with a Royal family member, then yeah Archie Comics come to mind.

At least that's how I figured it out because at first glance, I thought Harry was the sixth in line but couldn't figure out what popular character was introduced in 1941 with that name.

• Like 4
11 minutes ago, truthaboutluv said:

But the 1941 introduction of the character was the real giveaway because if you think what character became popular around that time that shares a name with a Royal family member, then yeah Archie Comics come to mind.

That's how I got it too. I'm not well-versed in royals from any era, but Meghan and Harry naming their son Archie stood out to me since I read every Archie comic for several years in the early 60s; so it was an instaget.

rsz_archiecomics_5.png

My only TS was Temperate [zone].

• Like 3

I just counted down the line of succession - William, his three kids, Harry, and then Archie is sixth. And then, made the connection to Archie comics - I don't think I would have gotten it from the year alone. Historically, J! contestants don't seem to do that well at questions about the current British Royal Family though.

• Like 4
  • Useful 1

I got Archie too. I was sad when no one got the Letterman reference. Pop culture really chugs along, takes no prisoners.

My husband cooks during Jeopardy. He’s side eyeing the whole “Jackie Rogers Jr 100K Jackpot Wad*” aspect of this endless scooping up and recycling of past winners. When I told him it’s going through December, I thought he was going to stroke out. 

*it’s a Martin Short bit from long ago. 

Edited by Quickbeam
Fix
  • Like 2

Finally have a chance to post after dealing with Halloween (surprised at how many kids still came out in the cold, wind and snow), and watching Dancing with the Stars.

Not all that great today, but I did get 4 in "The Tropic of Capricorn", " Hmmm, I Wonder" and "E"asy Does It" in the J round and 4 in "The World Series" (cheezborger...cheezborger...cheezborger) and "Frank Gehry" in DJ. Only one TS all day - temperate.

Yes on FJ - William, George, Charlotte, Louis, Harry and Archie. Once I figured it was Archie I thought that the reference might be to Archie Comics, but that part of the clue didn't help me get it right.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, secnarf said:

I just counted down the line of succession - William, his three kids, Harry, and then Archie is sixth.

I waffled because I wasn't sure whether Harry had been removed from the succession but also I had a hard time remembering Archie's name beyond knowing even though it is like a nickname it is his full first name. So I had to reject both Beatrice and Edward as not famous first name characters and racked my brain until it came up with Archie which was then obviously a match for Archie Andrews of Riverdale.

I was rooting for Aaron but didn't really feel happy with everyone getting FJ wrong. 

• Like 2