Type keyword(s) to search

The View: Week of 6/12/2023

falltime
  • Start Topic

Monday, June 12 — Eva Longoria (director, “Flamin’ Hot”)

Tuesday, June 13 — Ken Jennings (author, “100 Places to See After You Die: A Travel Guide to the Afterlife”)

Wednesday, June 14 — Gabrielle Union (“My Journey to 50”; “The Perfect Find”)

Thursday, June 15 — Hannah Waddingham (“Ted Lasso”); “The View” celebrates Alyssa Farah Griffin’s birthday

Friday, June 16 — Anthony Anderson and Doris Hancox Bowman (“Trippin’ with Anthony Anderson and Mama Doris”); Luke Russert (author, “Look for Me There: Grieving My Father, Finding Myself”)

• Thanks 2
On 6/10/2023 at 5:07 AM, HerkyJerky said:

On 6/9/2023 at 11:39 PM, falltime said:

The View” celebrates Alyssa Farah Griffin’s birthday

Should we all guess what Sunny's going to get her?😆

A coupon book with units of time to speak without interruption.

Yeah, not going to happen. 

• Like 3
  • LOL 2
(edited)

Ha - Talking about Trump's indictment and Ana manages to shoehorn Disney and drag queens into it by commenting on how DeSantis shouldn't decry state "weaponization" against individuals (or corporations), since he does something similar.

When I was working, we had a lot of meetings to attend, and there was a little game participants would play called "Buzzword Bingo" - every time one of the presenters or managers would say something trite or overused (like "work smarter, not harder"), you could get a point. I'm thinking that game could be resurrected for The View panel. 

Edited by KittyQ
Completeness
  • Like 10
1 hour ago, KittyQ said:

When I was working, we had a lot of meetings to attend, and there was a little game participants would play called "Buzzword Bingo" - every time one of the presenters or managers would say something trite or overused (like "work smarter, not harder"), you could get a point. I'm thinking that game could be resurrected for The View panel. 

That’s probably a better idea than taking a drink every time she mentions drag queens. Or namedrops a celebrity. 

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

"You look good - for your age" is the kind of backhanded compliment that is hard to respond to. The receiver has to wonder what the heck a person of her age who doesn't "look good" looks like. I think there are some people who intend for this to insult the receiver without being so blatant about it, but I suppose there are some people who genuinely think they are complimenting someone by saying that the person looks good, but obviously not young any longer (which we all know is when you look the best! :-) ). 

What to say in response? I think just go along as if you are truly being complimented - "Thank you". 

• Like 4
1 hour ago, KittyQ said:

"You look good - for your age" is the kind of backhanded compliment that is hard to respond to.

Like "you clean up nice!" Uh, thanks?

Does Sunny have some deal with GUCCI??  She seems to wear Gucci dresses often, but only the ugliest prints.  Flaunting one's wealth doesn't work if it ain't pretty.

3 hours ago, KittyQ said:

What to say in response? I think just go along as if you are truly being complimented - "Thank you". 

I think it's more fun to say, "Thank you?" with just a hint of a question.

• Like 5
  • LOL 5
7 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

Ana ripping on Trump’s toilet was everything. Why WAS it so far from the wall?!

Someone posted a closeup of a chipped part of the sink cabinet…apparently just a thin layer of “marble” (most likely fake) over a thick ,layer of plywood.  

• LOL 6
(edited)

So if Sunny’s kids call her while the show is on will she answer it?

Two drink! moments today - Joy’s gynecologist joke and Sunny on Jeopardy. 

Edited by Haleth
  • Like 5

Since the show was interrupted due to something going on in the county I’m missing Joys comment. Maybe it’s OT then to mention I follow Ana on FB and she posted several photos from yesterdays before show meeting and was cute that Whoopi had ChaCha on her lap the whole time 

• Like 3
12 hours ago, Haleth said:

So if Sunny’s kids call her while the show is on will she answer it?

That's what I'm wondering. She's not exactly working remotely, on her own, or in a cubicle, or you know, almost any other job where a phone wouldn't be nearly as disruptive if it goes off. She's getting paid big bucks to shoot a huge television show for one hour. I mean a part of me gets wanting your kids to able to contact you in case of an emergency. So I'm not saying I'm necessarily opposed to the phone privilege, but I'm certainly surprised since many people with regular office jobs aren't even allowed to have their phones out unless they're on break. If something is so urgent it can't wait an hour, isn't that more of a 911 call than a mom or dad call anyway? Parents please share your thoughts. I'm not dead set against the phones on the set, just trying to get the logic behind it. 

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
7 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

Parents please share your thoughts.

Omigosh!  However did I raise my children without cell phones?  How on earth did I survive having to go an hour without being in contact? 😱

• LOL 10

When I was in college in the '70's, I called my mom twice a week and wrote her a letter (remember those?} Now, I have a friend who calls her daughter in college at least three times a day! SHOOT ME NOW!

• Like 4
  • Mind Blown 4
  • LOL 3

I didn't get a cell phone until my son was in kindergarten.  And even then I rarely used it.  You paid by the minute back then so it was only for emergencies.  Before that if my son was at daycare or a sitter they knew where I was and how to reach me.  Which is what happened one day when my son was in day care.  They called me and told me he had a high fever and they were going to call the ambulance. I immediately left and went to the day care.  He had an ear infection which led to the high fever. I rode with him in the ambulance to the hospital.  If Sunny is on the air and there is an emergency I'm sure her kids and husband could call someone backstage.

4 minutes ago, HerkyJerky said:

Now, I have a friend who calls her daughter in college at least three times a day! SHOOT ME NOW!

When I was younger if the phone rang I ran to answer it.  Now if the phone rings I hit ignore.  People who know me text me.

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
(edited)

This a big controversy here right now as some schools want to ban cell phones in class and parents are up in arms at the idea.  They seem to feel, as Sunny does, that if they aren't able to communicate 24/7 this can only lead to Something Terrible.

Edited by Bethany
  • Like 4
42 minutes ago, Bethany said:

This a big controversy here right now as some schools want to ban cell phones in class and parents are up in arms at the idea.  They seem to feel, as Sunny does, that if they aren't able to communicate 24/7 this can only lead to Something Terrible.

<snark> OMG! How will the students be able to pass their exams if they can't use their phones to look up the answers or get them from their friends?? GPAs will fall through the floor! </snark>

Seriously, many of the justifications for allowing phones in classrooms are corner cases (despite what the media says). Much more likely is that that phones will be used for cheating, playing games, texting friends, taking pictures and videos, and providing a distraction from the actual class. It is hard for a teacher to keep the attention of a class of 20-30 kids enough to get through a class lasting about 55 minutes and having a number of the students only paying slight attention means that at some point, the lesson is going to have to be repeated instead of moving on. 

As far as work restrictions go, I think it depends on the job. I worked at a high-tech company, and everyone had their phones all the time, but mainly for checking our work emails which were constant. I can see where some public facing jobs would restrict phone use, although I did see a pharmacy tech recently use her phone for the calculator function. 

• Like 1
(edited)

Anthony Anderson and his mother were on the Today show earlier. They spent the whole time yelling insults for laughs at each other. That will be a pass from me on Fri.

Speaking of Today, why is it they have writers (seemingly) when The View does not?  I kind of chuckled when Whoopi didn’t even try to compose an intro for Gabrielle Union, just “here she is!”  Now we know why they need writers. 

Edited by Haleth
  • Like 1
  • LOL 2
5 minutes ago, Haleth said:

Anthony Anderson and his mother were on the Today show earlier. They spent the whole time yelling insults for laughs at each other. That will be a pass from me on Fri. 

I agree.  They are not even remotely entertaining.

• Like 3

"Marie Kondo defense" - Hahaha Joy! That was good. 

Somehow, I can't picture Trump hauling any of those banker boxes out to his office and going through the papers himself. Maybe getting a few paper cuts and sneezing because of the paper dust. 

However, I have a little sympathy for whoever has/ had the job (if that's the case) of going through the boxes and doing something with the papers because I have procrastinated doing the same thing, although in my case these are old documents belonging to relatives and not confidential, top-secret documents. I haven't gone through them yet, though, so who knows?

• Like 2
21 minutes ago, Axie said:

I’m so old I used to go on week long vacations and have no contact with anyone other than the people I was with. 

I'm so old we weren't even allowed to use a calculator in school, not that anyone could afford them. And yes I did walk up hill to & from school in the snow, thankfully not barefoot.

• Like 1
  • LOL 8
5 minutes ago, Shrek said:

I'm so old we weren't even allowed to use a calculator in school, not that anyone could afford them. And yes I did walk up hill to & from school in the snow, thankfully not barefoot.

We were allowed to use slide rules in some math classes. I doubt kids today would even recognize one. 😄

• Like 2
  • LOL 2
(edited)
4 hours ago, Haleth said:

Speaking of Today, why is it they have writers (seemingly) when The View does not?  I kind of chuckled when Whoopi didn’t even try to compose an intro for Gabrielle Union, just “here she is!”  Now we know why they need writers. 

I think the Today show is under the news division of NBC.  Which isn't affected by the strike.   And the View is in the entertainment division similar to Jimmie Kimmel.  

The mother of AJ Owens broke my heart.  

Edited by After7Only
  • Like 3
  • Sad 2
1 hour ago, After7Only said:

I think the Today show is under the news division of NBC.  Which isn't affected by the strike.   And the View is in the entertainment division similar to Jimmie Kimmel.  

The mother of AJ Owens broke my heart.  

The View is also part of ABC's news division and has been since 2014. I don't watch The Today Show, but I'm guessing if they still have writers it's because those writers aren't members of the WGA.

• Like 3
7 hours ago, KittyQ said:

did see a pharmacy tech recently use her phone for the calculator function. 

As long as we're ranting, this is another pet peeve: People who can't do simple math in their head.  For example, you go to a craft show and buy a $3, $4 and $6 item and the salesperson, says let me get a calculator, and I'm thinking are you kidding me?  I'm SO OLD that when I worked at McDonald's the cash registers didn't calculate anything.  You had to add it up yourself on your order pad.  The manager would check your pads after closing and I was never wrong.

• Like 3
17 minutes ago, HerkyJerky said:

As long as we're ranting, this is another pet peeve: People who can't do simple math in their head.  For example, you go to a craft show and buy a $3, $4 and $6 item and the salesperson, says let me get a calculator, and I'm thinking are you kidding me?  I'm SO OLD that when I worked at McDonald's the cash registers didn't calculate anything.  You had to add it up yourself on your order pad.  The manager would check your pads after closing and I was never wrong.

When I was a cashier, the register would add up the purchases, but you had to count out the change yourself. Fortunately, there's a technique for doing that pretty easily so you (and the customer) could tell that the amount was correct.* Of course, it's been years since I've heard any cashier give change like that, because the registers now give the amount required (and - not that many people use cash any longer) - the main point of error is if the cashier doesn't correctly select the coins and/or bills needed.

*When closing out, we had to account for every cent, so it was worth the effort to get it right the first time.

• Like 4

One thing puzzled me about Whoopi's diatribe concerning "stand your ground" law in Florida - who are "they" who were trying to sweep the story under the rug? Why does she think anyone is doing that? I found the story easily online at fairly common, mainstream sites, so you can read about it. Perhaps because it wasn't a headliner on national news she thinks someone is trying to cover it up. However, there are many, many cases of violence between neighbors and strangers, and I think most of them never get more than local news coverage. 

11 hours ago, Haleth said:

It did take a while and a national spotlight before the neighbor was charged. 

This interview was when I first heard the woman told the children to go tell their mother.  It was also the first time I heard she told the police she had researched the Stand Your Ground law before the shooting.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1
(edited)
21 minutes ago, pvandal said:

I love all things Hannah Waddingham.

I just finished binging Ted Lasso last week. Loved the show and love her!  She ranks high on the “fun to hang out with” scale. I did chuckle about her comment that Jason S didn’t care that she is taller than he is, then she does a film with Tom Cruise. 

Edited by Haleth
  • Like 4

I haven't seen today's show yet, but enjoyed Tuesday and Wednesday. The writer's strike has given us a few funny moments, like Whoopi saying they'll be back with Union again yesterday only for the camer man to immediately correct her as commercials cut in and she was forced to give the advert for Union's show at the end instead in hyper-speed. Then again, that's Whoopi most days pre-strike, too...

I think there was one day, can't remember which, where Whoopi cut to break as soon as the music started, which was timed almost precisely for the moment Sunny finished speaking (last to do so) just as Sara/Alyssa both moved in to pounce on her at the same time. Whoopi told them to blame the music that the two were forced to put their knives away, lol. Seemed like the only subtle reference to last week's to-do otherwise though.

• Like 2
  • LOL 1
(edited)

I thought a commercial for Alyssa's birthday was ridiculous. Plus I thought the puppies looked drugged.

Not a lot of happy campers there other than Alyssa and her husband. I really dislike Sunny for literally giving Alyssa the cold shoulder at the end.

ETA - everyone faced forward at the end except Sunny, she stood next to Alyssa sideways...cold shoulder.

Edited by maggiemae
clarification
  • Like 3
  • Applause 2
1 hour ago, maggiemae said:

I thought a commercial for Alyssa's birthday was ridiculous. Plus I thought the puppies looked drugged.

Not a lot of happy campers there other than Alyssa and her husband. I really dislike Sunny for literally giving Alyssa the cold shoulder at the end.

Was there anything other than the puppies? My dvr cut out at that point.  Most of the birthdays have a few more things.  

24 minutes ago, Rainyhawk said:

Was there anything other than the puppies? My dvr cut out at that point.  Most of the birthdays have a few more things.  

No, just the puppies,  altho I think they brought out a Cake at the end.   I enjoyed seeing all the women(and Brian Teta) holding the puppies & seemingly enjoying them.  I also enjoyed seeing Alyssa's husband, a very nice looking man and Alyssa seemed to enjoy the special Puppies & the charity they were helping.

• Like 7

Thing is none of the hosts were oohing and awing or having any interaction with each other, let alone the puppies...not even when they brought out the adorable cake.

Or wishing Alyssa HB.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1