Type keyword(s) to search

Agent Carter in the Media

Like all of you, I'm disappointed by the lack of ratings. I just don't understand the American television audience. I seem to always find these awesome, seldom-watched shows. Veronica Mars is an all-time favorite. Then you have Empire, which is popular and gaining viewers all the time. I know it is getting good reviews critically, but I just can't bring myself to watch a pure soap opera. Maybe that's what draws in more viewers.

I'm hooked on both Agent Carter and Empire, and what's interesting is that both shows are strongly driven by the performance by the female lead (Taraji P. Henson in the case of Empire).  I also think Empire, like Agent Carter, benefits from not being a full 22-episode season.  It forces an economy of storytelling that really makes the series tight.

I have to agree that Agents of SHIELD's weak beginnings bear a lot of the blame for people's unwillingness to take a chance on Agent Carter.  Most people, when I tell them Agent Carter is actually REALLY REALLY GOOD, seem genuinely surprised to hear it.

Same here. A lot of people don't seem to realize that it's run by a different team.

Anyone interested in going a little further to try to get Agent Carter a second season, this website lists a phone number for ABC to call and leave a message in support and also an email address.  I figured a few minutes of my time is worth it.

http://agentcarter.net/want-more-agent-carter-its-all-down-to-you/

Thanks for the heads up. On Twitter the showrunners and producers have been putting a lot of emphasis on rewatching only through official outlets and it was relatively painless to drop a few words at ABC.com. I also decided to go ahead and buy the season. I figure a purchase is still something a little more concrete for network execs to appreciate than a few tweets.

• Love 1

There are some benefits to the format of the shows.

Both AOS and Agent Carter are produced by MCU, which is owned by Disney, which is owns ABC, so they're much more willing to look at the long term synergy than the standard show that needs to make it's money from live viewings. They'd rather have an engaged audience that wants to go and spend money on the movies and merchandise as opposed to worrying exclusively about advertising returns. What that means, is I think delayed viewing, and consumption through other avenues has far more appeal to the Disney brass than your typical network executives.

Between this and Once Upon a Time, I think Disney has this far more figured out than anyone else. CBS kills in the overnights, by continuing to produce middling procedurals and Chuck Lorre sitcoms with their broad appeal, NBC has embraced Hulu, and Fox schedules around their sports.

• Love 5

When we were figuring out the show and the backstory of the show, we had a really nice story about who Peggy is and where she came from. We just didn’t have any time. I would love to tell that story. - Christopher Markus

There's an EW piece where two of the writers discuss the movie tie-ins, potential flashbacks plus acknowledge the contradiction between Peggy's strong sense of independence and how much she pined after Steve this season.

There's also an interesting chat with the two showrunners and their take on what happened in the season finale.

So my local paper, Philly Inquirer, reported that ABC picked up Agent Carter for a second season, but I can't find any other reference to this on the internet.  I'm hoping my paper wasn't wrong.

So my local paper, Philly Inquirer, reported that ABC picked up Agent Carter for a second season, but I can't find any other reference to this on the internet.  I'm hoping my paper wasn't wrong.

The Inquirer may have picked up on a recent Yahoo news report that for some reason reposted an old Hollywood Reporter article that was reporting on the initial pickup of Agent Carter season 1.

(edited)

What I thought was interesting about that survey was that they offered a list of shows which have been renewed we'd like to be cancelled, and Agents of Shield was one of them. 

Edited by Julia
I voted to keep a few and "Don't Care" for most. There weren't any listed that I hated enough to vote "Drop," since that seems mean to their fans and employees.

I definitely voted to keep Agent Carter and drop a couple of them (that are really way past their ideal stop point - looking at your Revenge).  Only voted to keep a couple others, most were don't care because I didn't care enough to watch them in the first place.

I definitely voted to keep Agent Carter and drop a couple of them (that are really way past their ideal stop point - looking at your Revenge).  Only voted to keep a couple others, most were don't care because I didn't care enough to watch them in the first place.

Noooo.  Please don't say you voted to drop Revenge.  That wasn't nice for us diehard fans.  I guess we canceled out each others vote.  Boo hoo (sad face). 

I had to edit this to say, now that I read this again it sounds kind of mean and I really didn't mean it that way.  Hope it was not taken that way.

Edited by SierraMist

The thing is, SHIELD ratings are now significantly below where Agent Carter was when people were saying her ratings were disappointing, and this had a fraction of the support from the network. I can't see why they would double down on that (they're talking about giving the mutants their own show) and not renew this.

• Love 1
I had to edit this to say, now that I read this again it sounds kind of mean and I really didn't mean it that way.  Hope it was not taken that way.

Nah.  We each have our faves and our hate-favs.  I loved the show at first, but the whole DC resurrection bit was it for me.  I just thought the show-writers were also a bit surprised they got renewed and were scrambling for a new idea.

13 Reasons “Agent Carter” Should Live To See Another Season

All great reasons.  I really hope this show comes back, even more than another season of Shield.  I do think 11 might be the key though, with the new Avengers movie coming out.  And we do really need to see the founding of Shield.

• Love 1

The thing is, SHIELD ratings are now significantly below where Agent Carter was when people were saying her ratings were disappointing, and this had a fraction of the support from the network. I can't see why they would double down on that (they're talking about giving the mutants their own show) and not renew this.

Hmm?  SHIELD ratings right now are still slightly higher than the last few Carter episodes.  It's close, but there's a reason SHIELD is seen as likely to return while Carter is maybe 50/50.

I do like Carter a bit more.  SHIELD is okay, it definitely has it's moments, but I'm getting a bit weary of it.  The seasons just seem to drag on forever.  Carter hits hard, but with the shorter season I didn't get tired of it.

From what I can tell, they're roughly neck and neck for broadcast, but Carter was gaining significantly every week after broadcast and SHIELD seems to be adjusted down every week.

Edited by Julia

Dominic Cooper was just cast in Preacher, and while Howard wasn't a regular, he really should be a major enough presence were the show to continue. The AoS spinoff news really soured me on AC's chances, ABC wouldn't want that many shows. It just really sucks that among the myriad comic book shows on air the best one doesn't get a renewal.

• Love 1

My hope for next season:

8:00 Agents of Shield

9:00 Aos Spin-Off

10:00 Announced New Marvel Show

Then bring in Agent Carter when Agents of Shield goes on hiatus. You'd think that they (Marvel) would want to renew their best reviewed network show.

Edited by Lord Kira
(edited)

Yes!  I was hopeful, since I do think ABC wants to keep up good relations with Marvel, but I'm glad it's official.  I can't wait to see another season of Hayley Atwell being awesome.

I do wonder how many episodes we will get and when it will be set, but as long as both Peggy (of course) and Jarvis are still in it, I am totally set.

Edited by thuganomics85
  • Love 5

I wonder if the controversy over Marvel's treatment of female characters helped push it over the hurdle? Either way, I'm glad it'll be back. I hope they keep it short, though I'd be happy with a 12 episode season. I've read that the eight episode order is what hurt it in international markets.

• Love 1

As soon as I saw it was renewed, I let out a whoop. I think it was super smart of ABC to renew. I wonder now when the show is going to take place. Right after this season? Carter setting up Shield (which is what I'm hoping to see) or after its completely set up and figuring things out. I am so excited!!!

It's so nice to see quality get rewarded. This was my only show I was REALLY worried about. 

So, what do you think - short season again? It worked amazing, so I don't mind. 

I really hope we can get Dominic Cooper to guest star at least in 2 episodes.

• Love 1