Type keyword(s) to search

S01E21: Are You There Todd? It's Me, Margaret

• Start Topic

Season finale!

When Margaret is too sick to work on the final day of an important negotiation, Todd must step in and impersonate a lawyer while Margaret uses her investigative skills; Margaret and Gus share their first kiss.

(And I'm honestly surprised it took them all season to use that episode title.)

• Like 7

I enjoyed this episode, especially with Margaret and Todd switching roles. Yay for Margaret getting named partner! Though her boss still scares me

• Like 5
  • LOL 3
(edited)

So happy to see Gus back—he and Margaret are so fun together! I loved Todd acting like a grownup finally (well, for the most part) to help save that settlement and getting his license (or whatever it is he got) back. Hopefully next season, he'll keep upping the ratio of adult to overgrown kid a little more each week. Don't love the idea that they left us a cliffhanger of "Did he go to the airport or didn't he?" (I hope the answer is he listened to Francey and didn't. Or that he doesn't run into Susan coming back to the office, having left Peter at the airport.) Margaret's cliffhanger I saw coming a mile away because they kept showing him in the previouslies. Allison...I don't know what to say about her. Are they trying to portray her as suffering from severe depression, or is she just lost? Either way, it's dragged on so long that I don't really care anymore.

But despite my kvetching above, I really did enjoy this episode. Ready for Season 2!

Edited by kirinan
  • Like 10

I thought the bit with sick Margaret silently going to the office to do legal research on what Todd had done was a funny bit. I can pretend it's actually legal in another state if they just pretend to have a legal basis for it and not just throw it at us. (I'm still salty about the "resolve conflict by dividing the firm" nonsense.)

It was also cute that the older brother finally made it to dinner and no one else really showed up for it. And congrats to Margaret on finally being 1/3 of the firm title and not just 1/3 of its revenue. Another stretch hard for my lawyer brain to accommodate. 

I don't want to psychoanalyze without a license, or give you an autobiography, but I like Allison's storyline. I can understand someone, even a seemingly with it adult, being pushed into a life they didn't really want. So it's interesting that she and her mother both have some parallels about finding themselves. 

Decent first season. Uneven at times, but finished on a higher note than the start. 

• Like 11

I knew hubby Harry was going to show up at the end. I wondered why they cast Mark Moses in such a brief role in the pilot. I figured he'd have to be back at some point.

This was the first time I liked Allison. She was still sort of a wet blanket but she was funny. I got a kick out her speed dating.

I think I still would have preferred Margaret starting her own firm. I don't like Beverly and I'd prefer they move away from the story with Susan and Todd. They could take Francey with them.

I really enjoyed this cute little show, it's just the right balance between comedy and crime drama and Marcia Gay Harden and Skylar Astin work so well off each other.

End the writer's strike! It's unfair. To me.

• Like 12
  • Love 2

For several episodes, I’d been convinced the season was going to end with Allison attempting suicide.  When she was in the tub at the beginning and slipped under the water, I had a thought that could be foreshadowing.  Nobody was really looking out for her all episode, just commenting she was there/acting off, then she needed to be alone after the divorce was finalized.  Todd and Margaret were so happy/in a good place at the end that it was inevitable something was going to happen.  Needless to say, I was so relieved when they showed her getting a haircut.

This show is fun, loopy logic and all.  Agree that MGH plays off SA really well.  The show would not work at all without someone with the chops to match his manic energy.

• Like 7

Allison has clearly become Raven from Teen Titans. 

Not sure why the husband returning is an issue.   She's legally divorced and her main concern seemed to be what people would think about her being divorced not losing him.  She should just tell him to hit the bricks. 

• Like 8

Good ending, except for the husband coming in from the cold (ha)! Francey is the only sane one in this ensemble! Allison was hysterical, moping around everywhere in her hoodie! It was a good idea to show her getting out (everywhere), trying to engage in her mopey way, not just vegging in bed. I just hope she finds a diversion more suitable for herself than the “drop off” on a mountain with nothing. There are many, safer ways to challenge yourself and learn your innate skills and limitations. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Silver-hyren said:

This show is fun, loopy logic and all.  

"Loopy logic" is a brilliant phrase that perfectly describes this series and I love it. I'm looking forward to season 2. I predict that Todd is going to start saving money for his own PI agency and there will be a multi-season running gag of how much money he wants/needs to start the agency and have a place of its own. This will provide a TVLand plausibile explanation/reason to keep him in the law firm for multiple seasons.

• Like 9

The various casts, braces, eyepatches of the plaintiffs was so over the top it was almost comical. The defense lawyers should have gotten Mike Brady to drop a large book and the whole thing would have likely been dismissed. 

• Like 4
  • LOL 5

I liked Season 1, but really just for Hardin and Aston.  I don’t care about the storylines they've set up for the next season and would welcome a right turn with new side characters and situations.  What else?  I guess I'd like Lyle to return, and Todd's beard to depart.

(edited)
21 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I knew hubby Harry was going to show up at the end. I wondered why they cast Mark Moses in such a brief role in the pilot. I figured he'd have to be back at some point.

Mark Moses, schMark schMoses. Ugh. Hate that Harry's back.
But thank goodness the divorce was finalized the day before!

Hopefully Harry will be mostly harmless and just be plot fodder to give Margaret and Gus reason to hide their relationship from poor, dying Harry. Hilarity will ensue.
And truly harmless sneaking around seems like the best of both worlds for romance.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 5
(edited)

I enjoyed the finale episode.  

I appreciated the more “adult” version of Todd and hope to see more of this version him next season.  However, I do hope he keeps most of his edginess.  I also hope Todd decides to stay far away from the airport and Susan.  I’m not at all fond of the possible coupling.  

Allison is a hot mess and I’m losing interest in her…fast.  Sorry they turned Chuck into a naive fool and I hope they bring him back next season with a bit of a personality and brain “tune up”.  WHY did the show make such fools out of this couple?  Certainly, the writers could have developed them differently for more audience interest.  

Todd and Margaret are so interesting to watch in the mother and son relationship.  I love their dynamic and was thrilled she told Todd she “was proud of him”.  

Good show.

Edited by tinderbox
  • Like 8
On 5/19/2023 at 9:13 AM, AncientNewbie said:

Decent first season. Uneven at times, but finished on a higher note than the start. 

It has a lot of potential.    Margaret is much more interesting when the writers let her be a successful, intelligent character.  Todd is much better when he's a grown up, and I'd like to see what kind of life Allison creates for herself.

• Like 6
On 5/19/2023 at 2:44 PM, chitowngirl said:

Apparently Chuck is not contesting the divorce? That was pretty quick!

His family is supposed to be rich, so I imagine they had a pre-nup and the house was fully his. No kids or pets, he's not putting up a fight, yeah, I guess it would be smooth enough.

• Applause 2
On 5/19/2023 at 1:41 PM, Sarah 103 said:

"Loopy logic" is a brilliant phrase that perfectly describes this series and I love it. I'm looking forward to season 2. I predict that Todd is going to start saving money for his own PI agency and there will be a multi-season running gag of how much money he wants/needs to start the agency and have a place of its own. This will provide a TVLand plausibile explanation/reason to keep him in the law firm for multiple seasons.

Wasn't the firm's original investigator out on maternity leave or something?  That person has to come back in S2 and the writers pull something out of the tropes handbook. Allison needs to book a therapist, then book a vacation. That was a quick divorce!  They split assets within a week?! Todd probably went to a bar or something. I doubt he went to the airport. I know I'm in the minority on the board, but I ship Todd & Susan, but I don't think he went to the airport because that's something a series would usually want to show. It would be used as a cliff hanger. Like Harry being at Margaret's condo was a cliff hanger.  

(edited)
On 5/22/2023 at 1:47 AM, Simba122504 said:

Todd probably went to a bar or something. I doubt he went to the airport. I know I'm in the minority on the board, but I ship Todd & Susan, but I don't think he went to the airport because that's something a series would usually want to show. It would be used as a cliff hanger.

The writers are so far shipping Todd and Susan, and that’s all that matters.

I can imagine:  

Option 1:
Todd goes to the airport and winds up “wishing them the best,” giving them a gift he quickly buys at the airport.  
Like maybe a Portland snow globe that rains?  
[shapeshifter googles]. 
Ooo. Even better:  
A Sasquatch RainGlobe: 
madeinoregon.com/gift-guide/interests/sasquatch-1/sasquatch-rainglobe.html 
They must sell those at PDX, right?:
tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/whatcanibring/items/snow-globes

Then, how long before Susan asks Margaret or Beverly to do her divorce?

Option 2:
Or maybe next season opener includes Susan having returned from Vegas (with the 
Sasquatch RainGlobe) either having not been married or having had a quickie divorce. 

Option 3:
Or, if the writers strike goes on very long, Todd did not go to the airport to see them off.
Instead, Susan returns after having gotten a quickie divorce in Vegas where they went to celebrate their one-year anniversary but got divorced instead.
Todd picks Susan up at the airport, 
Sasquatch RainGlobe optional. 

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 4
6 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

The writers are so far shipping Todd and Susan, and that’s all that matters.

I can imagine:  
Todd goes to the airport and winds up “wishing them the best,” giving them a gift he quickly buys at the airport.  
Like maybe a Portland snow globe that rains?  
[shapeshifter googles]. 
Ooo. Even better:  
A Sasquatch RainGlobe: 
madeinoregon.com/gift-guide/interests/sasquatch-1/sasquatch-rainglobe.html 
They must sell those at PDX, right?:
tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/whatcanibring/items/snow-globes

Then, how long before Susan asks Margaret or Beverly to do her divorce?

Or maybe next season opener includes Susan having returned from Vegas (with the Sasquatch RainGlobe) either having not been married or having had a quickie divorce. 

Or, if the writers strike goes on very long, Todd did not go to the airport to see them off.
Instead, Susan returns after having gotten a quickie divorce in Vegas where they went to celebrate their one-year anniversary but got divorced instead.
Todd picks Susan up at the airport, 
Sasquatch RainGlobe optional. 

You had fun with this!  😄

• Wink 1
  • LOL 1
On 5/22/2023 at 4:35 AM, shapeshifter said:

Susan returns after having gotten a quickie divorce in Vegas where they went to celebrate their one-year anniversary but got divorced instead.

Are they already married? I thought they were still engaged.

(edited)
8 hours ago, eel2178 said:

Are they already married? I thought they were still engaged.

The season ends with Susan and What's His Name on their way to the airport (off screen) after What's His Name asks Susan to elope to Vegas, which is why I included this option:

On 5/22/2023 at 6:35 AM, shapeshifter said:

Or maybe next season opener includes Susan having returned from Vegas (with the Sasquatch RainGlobe) either having not been married or having had a quickie divorce. 

I'll go back and number them.

Edited by shapeshifter
38 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

The season ends with Susan and What's His Name on their way to the airport (off screen) after What's His Name asks Susan to elope to Vegas, which is why I included this option:

Susan told Peter that they couldn't elope because her mother would kill him if she didn't have the wedding. Peter mentioned something about skydiving in Vegas.

• Useful 1

I enjoyed this episode-and am glad it's coming back for a second season.  I thought Todd looked great in his suit so agree with others that hopefully he'll mature a bit as the series goes on.  But, I couldn't believe they didn't find a way for Skylar to just sing a tad bit, maybe while just riding in the elevator or something (I know it's just me because I like his voice...).

Am so over Allison and her Eeyore outlook.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1

"I treated you like shit as a test. You passed by finally exploding on my terrible treatment of you! Congratulations!"

Why in the world would you want to work with a jerk like that, Margaret? Just start your own firm. 

• Like 2
  • Fire 1
  • Applause 4
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
(edited)
10 hours ago, Brian Cronin said:

"I treated you like shit as a test. You passed by finally exploding on my terrible treatment of you! Congratulations!"

Why in the world would you want to work with a jerk like that, Margaret? Just start your own firm. 

The actual line was:

• [BEVERLY] I've been waiting for this moment for a very, very long time. You, pushing back. Fighting for what's yours. Like a named partner should. See you first thing Monday morning...at Crest, Folding & Wright.

but, yes, the paraphrase says the same. 
And maybe next season will open with Margaret in a smaller office in her own firm — which might cut production costs? Hopefully with Lyle. 

My question: 
Where have I heard this sort of diatribe-compliment before used in the same manner (telling someone they are now ready to accept a great appointment)? 
Maybe a superhero story? 
Or another lawyer drama? 

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 3
1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

Where have I heard this sort of diatribe-compliment before used in the same manner (telling someone they are now ready to accept a great appointment)? 

It's a common trope. Willy Wonka did it and heck, the whole movie Whiplash is about that style of teaching, ya know ("In order for you to be good, I have to break you down first!")? 

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
On 5/14/2023 at 9:04 PM, The Crazed Spruce said:

(And I'm honestly surprised it took them all season to use that episode title.)

Someone on the staff is a big fan of classic childrens/YA lit...first all the Beverly Cleary references and now Judy Blume. More, please! (I'm definitely a fan!)

• Like 1
(edited)
On 5/19/2023 at 8:57 AM, kirinan said:

So happy to see Gus back—he and Margaret are so fun together! I loved Todd acting like a grownup finally (well, for the most part) to help save that settlement and getting his license (or whatever it is he got) back. Hopefully next season, he'll keep upping the ratio of adult to overgrown kid a little more each week. Don't love the idea that they left us a cliffhanger of "Did he go to the airport or didn't he?" (I hope the answer is he listened to Francey and didn't. Or that he doesn't run into Susan coming back to the office, having left Peter at the airport.) Margaret's cliffhanger I saw coming a mile away because they kept showing him in the previouslies. Allison...I don't know what to say about her. Are they trying to portray her as suffering from severe depression, or is she just lost? Either way, it's dragged on so long that I don't really care anymore.

But despite my kvetching above, I really did enjoy this episode. Ready for Season 2!

I kinda think he’s heading to see Amy.  Or maybe he’s thinking he’ll meet up with his BIL(can’t think of his name at the moment) to celebrate.  I don’t think he’ll go to Vegas.  I do like Gus, and hope he’s on even more.

On 5/19/2023 at 10:38 AM, chitowngirl said:

I’m glad the hair stylist was adamant about “no bangs”! 😆

I can’t wait to see it.

Edited by South
Add
  • Like 1
On 5/19/2023 at 11:06 AM, iMonrey said:

This was the first time I liked Allison. She was still sort of a wet blanket but she was funny. I got a kick out her speed dating.

I think I still would have preferred Margaret starting her own firm. I don't like Beverly and I'd prefer they move away from the story with Susan and Todd. They could take Francey with them.

I really enjoyed this cute little show, it's just the right balance between comedy and crime drama and Marcia Gay Harden and Skylar Astin work so well off each other.

End the writer's strike! It's unfair. To me.

Harry blindsided me.  It’s unfair to me, as well. 

On 5/19/2023 at 2:41 PM, Sarah 103 said:

I predict he moves in to the big house with Chuck.

• Like 1