Type keyword(s) to search

S21.E14: Top 20 to Top 12

dizzyd
  • Start Topic

I agree with most of the top 10. I thought Kaeyra should have been one but her performance tonight didn’t live up to it. Colin, Megan and Lucy really killed it. Haven is not the best singer but her song writing is fucking amazing, so much talent in that 17 year old! We’ and Iam were good as always. Kudos to the stage graphics designers, they made everyone look good. Much better song choices today for the most part. Lol, that fly made more of an impression than most of the contestants. I loved how Iam got a kick out of it landing on his face right as he was singing Stuck on You. 

Edited by dizzyd
  • Like 2
  • LOL 1

I was making a thread when you made this one. Oops! Hopefully the mods will just delete mine. I’ll copy my thoughts over. 

Surprised to see Haven (forgettable) and Tyson (so forgettable I had to look up his name on the app) get through. Really annoyed that Mariah isn’t through, but I think she screwed herself going for a soul song last night. 

would somebody tell Lucy to stop attention whoring for the camera when Ryan is talking to other contestants? She’s approaching Nutsa levels of “LOOK AT ME!!!!”

Well that Lucy performance was terrible. But I’m betting she gets a judge save. You know, she wants it and has kids. That’s pretty well all it takes, right?

Edited by JayDub1987
  • Like 7
3 minutes ago, JayDub1987 said:

America restoring a bit of my faith in their voting prowess. We need to get rid of Nutsa a month ago. 

If the judges save her, I’ll be 🤬

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
  • LOL 1

First time in years I’ve actually enjoyed the show.  

question, seems like the Hawaiian guy is the chosen one this year. Any chance anyone else will win?

2 minutes ago, JayDub1987 said:

It’s gonna be her, Lucy or both.  Which means somebody obnoxious is gonna grace our screens be forced upon us next week. 

I’m guessing Mariah , the cute guy or one of the obnoxious ones.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Diana Berry said:

question, seems like the Hawaiian guy is the chosen one this year. Any chance anyone else will win?

I don’t see him actually winning. His act will get stale with everyone who doesn’t enjoy Hawaiian music, which is gonna be a pretty big chunk of the fan base. Right now, he’s the feel good, aww shucks, I’m so happy to be here feel good story. 

2 minutes ago, Diana Berry said:

I’m guessing Mariah , the cute guy or one of the obnoxious ones.

If it’s Mariah, I’ll be thrilled. I’m expecting a let down lol

• Like 3
(edited)

Wow so many ladies in the danger zone! Of course, the judges would save her! Do they have any more saves this season? Coz if they do it will be Nutsa v Iam in the finals.

Edited by dizzyd
  • Like 1
  • LOL 3

Hahaha. They made that one obvious. Lionel was working the crowd after her shit storm of a performance. But hey, she deserves it. After all, no one else has ever had children or “wanted it.”

You know what, fuck this whole thing. The judges pretty much just put people through because they attention whore for the camera. 

Edited by JayDub1987
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Applause 2
  • Useful 2
  • LOL 3

Note to all future contestants! If you want to get through, either writhe around on the stage like a stripper (even the fucking stripper didn’t do that; bet she wishes she’d known) or wave your arms around and act a damn fool every second that the show isn’t about you. Top 12 guaranteed. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 1
20 minutes ago, SnarkAttack said:

The sound is absolutely horrible, can't understand anything being sung.  UGH.

I was amused at the moment towards the end when...Nutsa, I think it was, was talking about being grateful for this experience and everyone started applauding and the sound was drowning her out :p. 

Also got a kick out of a Toto song being performed on here that wasn't "Africa". And the reminder that they were almost out of time...only for the judges to go on once again about the tough job they had making their choice and how great everyone was. I kept imagining Ryan standing there trying not to glance at his watch, LOL. 

• Like 4
  • LOL 1
2 minutes ago, Gemma Violet said:

Not a fan of either of the judges' saves.  I could put up with Lucy, I guess, but I had my fingers crossed that Nutsa wouldn't be the other save.

I’ve wanted Nutsa gone since her audition, but at least she can actually stay in key. Lucy’s last 2 performances have been painful. 

There’s hope, fellow PTers. America voted to ditch these two once. Just gotta do that again. 

• Like 8
17 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

I was amused at the moment towards the end when...Nutsa, I think it was, was talking about being grateful for this experience and everyone started applauding and the sound was drowning her out :p. 

Also got a kick out of a Toto song being performed on here that wasn't "Africa". And the reminder that they were almost out of time...only for the judges to go on once again about the tough job they had making their choice and how great everyone was. I kept imagining Ryan standing there trying not to glance at his watch, LOL. 

So true.  Figured it would be Africa or Rosanna.

Just now, Diana Berry said:

So true.  Figured it would be Africa or Rosanna.

So how was the breakdown guys to gals? Of course they chose two gals when the cute guy was left on the dust.

• Useful 1

I haven't been the biggest Colin fan so far this season but his version of Dancing On My Own was great.  He checks all the boxes of an Idol winner (country, guitar playing, loves his mama, Southern, blue collar job) - after that performance I'll be shocked if he doesn't win.  

I would have put through Kaeyra and Nailyah instead of Nutsa and Lucy but I don't expect either of them to last long anyway.  

• Like 8
1 hour ago, dizzyd said:

If the judges save her, I’ll be 🤬

Of course the judges saved her, probably at the behest of the producers. Nutsa generates controversy. People love her or hate her, so they want to keep her around to draw attention. I noticed her video on Facebook last night generated hundreds of comments. They're going to keep her around as long as possible. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Useful 3

Here's how I see the remaining finalists by what "box" they are in:

Male Country Box: Oliver, Colin, Warren

Divas Box: WeAni, Lucy, Nutsa

Singer/Songwriter Box: Iam, Haven, Tyson

Female Country Box: MaryBeth, Megan

Rock Box: Zachariah

So this means to me that Zach is locked into 5th place, since usually all the other boxes will have to be settled before he gets voted out (unless he's terrible one week). But there is really no one in his box.  

• Like 3
  • Sad 1
  • Useful 1

Wow I really liked Colin's performance today. So good!

Michael Williams looked so different and so good! 

Looked to me like Lionel had one save and Katy & Luke had agree the second save.

Cannot stand Lucy's game-face. Looks like she thinks she's a boxer in a ring instead of a singer on a stage. 

I guess it's time for me to admit.....I'vealwayslikedNutsa..🙈

• Like 5

Lucy, WTF? She was terrible yesterday and tonight. I seem to be alone on this but I'm glad Nutsa went through. She'll probably be eliminated next week when they go to Top Ten. Nailyah was too shaky, she really blew her chance. And she had such promise up 'til now. Kaeyra too. Paige was boring. I kept wondering what Megan reminded me of and finally figured it out; she's got Holly Hunter's accent. Personally, I would like all the country singers to be eliminated. Man, we need Rock Star to come back. 

I bet people are already salivating over Iam possibly recording that reggae version of Stuck on You

What happened to Kieran? Has he dimmed his last light?

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 1

I am legit horrified by the judges’ picks. Fire them all for their awful taste. Lucy’s angry face wasn’t compelling and while I liked her original last night, this was a shouty mess. Nutsa once again did a subpar rendition of a classic. And she is just annoying AF.

America really doesn’t care much about good singing, do they? Maybe we can change the name to Sob Story Idol.

I have to believe voters will soundly reject Lucy and Nutsa next week. I will start voting in a personal effort to keep the competition watchable and just, well, less annoying.

To lose voices like Kaeyra and Olivia and even Nailyah for the likes of Nutsa and Lucy - just no. This guarantees another year with a male winner (likely Iam no matter who was saved). Megan is likely the only hope for a female winner at this point.

My Lord, why do those joker judges earn such big paychecks? They say nothing and when they do, it’s just personal moral observations. This isn’t  Americas Next Top Model, and dear Lord, Katy - no one wants another Tyra. Please judge actual talent, if you can manage it. UGH.

Edited by thesupremediva1
  • Like 6
  • Fire 1
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2

Of the 10 who were voted in by America, I had 9 correct. Everyone country or country adjacent except for Mariah (Warren, Marybeth, Colin, & Megan), the two young prodigies (Haven & Tyson), two Guy's w/ Guitars (Oliver & Iam), & the annoying fake one (We). I had Matt making the Top 10 instead of Zachariah because I just can't with Zachariah. I will grant that he's a little more tolerable doing 80's rock anthems without quite as much s****** energy on stage (a la his Little Richard or Queen performances).

And then the judges proceeded to run the fucking show off the rails with their ridiculous "saves". I do not care that Lionel has practically adopted Lucy, or the thought of Lucy. She cannot sing in tune and should've been nowhere near the Top 12. But considering the ethnic makeup of the rest of the Top 12, one of the judge's spots was 100% going to her, Matt or Nailyah. It should've gone to Matt a million times over. It would've also been nice to keep a little contemporary male R&B/urban pop in the competition since that's a lane that doesn't pop up that much on AI. As for the other spot, it kills me for Kaeyrah. She's a better singer than Nutsa, she's shown way more range/diversity in her song choices/performances. But of course, since this is AI we get the wannabe Las Vegas showgirl (funny how it was perfectly planned out where she got the final "sing for survival" of the night") hanging around for at least one more week..

I think Colin might've cracked the code last night. On a Robyn/Calum Scott song no less. He seemed in another stratosphere confidence wise compared to everything else he's done to date. And it showed in his vocals.

Nice to see Warren P, ditch the guitar and just rock out on stage a little bit. He tends to have a naturally strained style of singing, so it was nice to see him sing a little easier, freer too..

I still don't quite know what to make of Megan Danielle's voice at times (it's so chameleon-like it changes mid song from time to time), but I will give her credit for sticking to her guns on wanting to be a Contemporary Christian artist post-show and doing songs that reflect that most weeks.

I think had there been voting on last night's performances, I'm not sure how Oliver's attempt at Shania Twain would've gone over. Purgatory_Mom agreed.

Somebody needed to program that fly/moth to fly directly into Nutsa's throat mid-huge note and incapacitate her lol :-)

• Like 6
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 3

I'm a little disappointed in the judges saves, but it doesn't matter.  History has shown that the voters have their favorites, and they don't really change.  Lucy and Nutsa will be gone soon enough, and I think the top 5 will likely be Colin, Iam, We, Megan, and Zachariah.

I thought that was probably Lucy's best performance, but I still put it way behind Mariah and Kaeyra (who would have been my saves), Olivia, and really most of the others.  I don't like Nutsa's personality, but I do think she is a very good singer, and I think it was hard not to reward that performance last night.  It was not Jennifer Holiday or Jennifer Hudson level, but she gave a really good performance of a difficult, iconic song.

Colin really impressed me for the first time last night.  It thought he was great (and I'm not a country music fan), and we could have a repeat of Noah Thompson with him.  Luke certainly seems to be rooting for that.

If they ever do a Bonnie Raitt biopic or one of those "jukebox" Broadway musicals about her, Mariah should play her.  I hear so much of Bonnie Raitt in her voice.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, PhD-Purgatory15 said:

Of the 10 who were voted in by America, I had 9 correct. Everyone country or country adjacent except for Mariah (Warren, Marybeth, Colin, & Megan), the two young prodigies (Haven & Tyson), two Guy's w/ Guitars (Oliver & Iam), & the annoying fake one (We). I had Matt making the Top 10 instead of Zachariah because I just can't with Zachariah. I will grant that he's a little more tolerable doing 80's rock anthems without quite as much s****** energy on stage (a la his Little Richard or Queen performances).

And then the judges proceeded to run the fucking show off the rails with their ridiculous "saves". I do not care that Lionel has practically adopted Lucy, or the thought of Lucy. She cannot sing in tune and should've been nowhere near the Top 12. But considering the ethnic makeup of the rest of the Top 12, one of the judge's spots was 100% going to her, Matt or Nailyah. It should've gone to Matt a million times over. It would've also been nice to keep a little contemporary male R&B/urban pop in the competition since that's a lane that doesn't pop up that much on AI. As for the other spot, it kills me for Kaeyrah. She's a better singer than Nutsa, she's shown way more range/diversity in her song choices/performances. But of course, since this is AI we get the wannabe Las Vegas showgirl (funny how it was perfectly planned out where she got the final "sing for survival" of the night") hanging around for at least one more week..

I think Colin might've cracked the code last night. On a Robyn/Calum Scott song no less. He seemed in another stratosphere confidence wise compared to everything else he's done to date. And it showed in his vocals.

Nice to see Warren P, ditch the guitar and just rock out on stage a little bit. He tends to have a naturally strained style of singing, so it was nice to see him sing a little easier, freer too..

I still don't quite know what to make of Megan Danielle's voice at times (it's so chameleon-like it changes mid song from time to time), but I will give her credit for sticking to her guns on wanting to be a Contemporary Christian artist post-show and doing songs that reflect that most weeks.

I think had there been voting on last night's performances, I'm not sure how Oliver's attempt at Shania Twain would've gone over. Purgatory_Mom agreed.

Somebody needed to program that fly/moth to fly directly into Nutsa's throat mid-huge note and incapacitate her lol :-)

You, sir, said all the things that I didn't have the balls to say. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

And the best performance of the night goes to Ryan Seacrest. If only he were allowed to move every show along that briskly. 

So basically ALL the country singers made it, except Mariah, who was half soul/R&B anyway. I may have to re-think my Iam/We winner prediction.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • LOL 2

Jesus H. Roosevelt Christ on a cracker. This show is such a major FAIL. Someone said of Sunday's show that this radical shearing off of the auditions, Hollywood Week, and the actual voting off folks once a week and doing it in huge chunks instead just breeds indifference amongst the viewers. I can't get invested in people I see for a second as opposed to week after week. The new format is utter shite and they ought to just pull the plug if they cannot get enough sponsors to do the show correctly.

And the judges aren't judges at all, they're smoke blowers, bullshit artists, that's about it. We need new judges, period.

To have Nailyah cut in favor of Lucy? What the everloving fuck?!? I get that Lucy has a mom story and if this show was called 'Most In Need Idol' then sure. But Nailyah is so freaking talented. I always tell myself that hopefully a jazz label has seen her and she'll get a better deal that road than being tied to the schlock show that is AI.

We wasn't all that and I do NOT approve of show hoppers. That shit should not be allowed. Pick a show but youre not allowed to jump to other shows if you don't make it big.

The guys, most just blur into one Kentucky Fried Country blur for me.

Lastly, I'm glad Megan made it, I think she's the best singer of the bunch, and thank you to whomever upthread said she's a Christian singer because all her songs sound like praise songs. That aint my thang though, and it surely is not AI's thing, so her being there baffles me. And I'm sad that Mariah got deleted, she was good too. Fuck this show and the nitwits that have ruined it.

• Like 7
  • Fire 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1
16 hours ago, JayDub1987 said:

Hahaha. They made that one obvious. Lionel was working the crowd after her shit storm of a performance. But hey, she deserves it. After all, no one else has ever had children or “wanted it.”

Just now, gingerella said:

To have Nailyah cut in favor of Lucy? What the everloving fuck?!? I get that Lucy has a mom story and if this show was called 'Most In Need Idol' then sure. But Nailyah is so freaking talented.

I am so sick and tired of every competition show overloaded with contestants who seem to feel their tales of life's woes entitles them to win over pure talent. It's always the same stories, single mother, family member or friend who has attempted or committed suicide, lost a parent...all my sympathy, but this is a singing competition in the end. 

I miss the Simon days when they were actually looking for a marketable singing star and performer.  People who could fill big and important venues rather than state fair stages.  I only watch to humor a family member who can't give it up yet...but I wish they would.

• Like 1
  • Applause 2
  • Useful 1
16 minutes ago, ichbin said:

contestants who seem to feel their tales of life's woes entitles them to win over pure talent

I don't think it's the contestants' fault.  It's the show that probably mandates that each potential contestant  come up with a sob story.  Can't come up with one?  You're out.  I've yet to meet anyone who likes sob stories, so I can't understand why they continue on with them. 

• Useful 1
1 hour ago, Gemma Violet said:

I don't think it's the contestants' fault.  It's the show that probably mandates that each potential contestant  come up with a sob story.  Can't come up with one?  You're out.  I've yet to meet anyone who likes sob stories, so I can't understand why they continue on with them. 

Based on how things went for Lucy, I think a sob story combined with flailing your arms around like a fucking moron seems to be a great move. I think Lionel has adopted her so maybe she can quit bitching about money on TV every week. 

• LOL 2
1 hour ago, gingerella said:

We wasn't all that and I do NOT approve of show hoppers. That shit should not be allowed. Pick a show but youre not allowed to jump to other shows if you don't make it big.

The guys, most just blur into one Kentucky Fried Country blur for me.

Lastly, I'm glad Megan made it, I think she's the best singer of the bunch, and thank you to whomever upthread said she's a Christian singer because all her songs sound like praise songs. That aint my thang though, and it surely is not AI's thing, so her being there baffles me. And I'm sad that Mariah got deleted, she was good too. Fuck this show and the nitwits that have ruined it.

I've heard a lot about We's third place finish on The Voice, but not much about Megan.  (I don't watch The Voice.)  I was surprised to learn that Megan was also a contestant on The Voice (remote Covid edition in 2020) and placed ninth.  Given how she has been portrayed as some newbie who is afraid to sing in front of people, I find this a little strange.  I do think she's very talented, and belongs in the top 10 in my opinion, but they seem to be packaging her as something she is not.

• Like 3
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Useful 2
37 minutes ago, JayDub1987 said:

Based on how things went for Lucy, I think a sob story combined with flailing your arms around like a fucking moron seems to be a great move. I think Lionel has adopted her so maybe she can quit bitching about money on TV every week. 

I see her being a future mentor for the contestants: "Flail your arms around more! No, even more! Make an angry face! Now you've got it!"

• LOL 2
15 minutes ago, MarylandGirl said:

I see her being a future mentor for the contestants: "Flail your arms around more! No, even more! Make an angry face! Now you've got it!"

I had never seen an adult clap like her last night. She poked out both elbows like she was gonna do the chicken dance, and then smacked her hands together in the middle of her body as dramatically as possible. I wish that fly had flown into her eye and caused her to have to go backstage for a bit. I needed a break. 

• Like 1
18 hours ago, UrbanShocker said:

I haven't been the biggest Colin fan so far this season but his version of Dancing On My Own was great.  He checks all the boxes of an Idol winner (country, guitar playing, loves his mama, Southern, blue collar job) - after that performance I'll be shocked if he doesn't win.  

I would have put through Kaeyra and Nailyah instead of Nutsa and Lucy but I don't expect either of them to last long anyway.  

Yeah, I haven't cared too much one way or another, but that performance of Colin's was one of my favorites of the season. I'd put that on my playlist tomorrow for sure. This is what I miss about the genre nights of old, someone stepping out of their usual songlist and unexpectedly creating a new version of a song. 

If you were watching without the knowledge of who the judges were, you'd think Luke was Colin's dad, he was cheesing that hard throughout this performance. Shallowly, I hope the stylists can help Colin out with those eyebrows, or at least the one that has a little appendage at the corner. 

I was definitely disappointed by the judges saves, especially Nutsa. I just do not see the appeal with her, she looks like any other showy, hammy wannabe and her voice is middling at best. 

I was glad the redhead didn't make it through (can't recall her name off the top) but I thought Ryan was very cruel to her with his wordplay that made it sound like she made it through before he pulled the rug out and said she had to sing for the save. He faked me out too, I was busy groaning that she made it through, I almost missed the part where he said she wasn't in the top 12. But it was still mean. 

I'm glad Megan Danielle got through, I thought her performance on this show was lovely and a standout. I hope she can go far in the competition, I feel like all the girls are gonna get booted first and it'll be another male country-off. That certainly seems like the trajectory based on the picks that didn't need to be saved into the top 12.

ETA:

Also got a kick out of a Toto song being performed on here that wasn't "Africa". 

I was embarrassed to learn via Zachariah's performance that I have been singing those lyrics wrong all these years. I had no idea it was "Hold the Line", I always sang "or the line 'love isn't always on time'" 

When they put the name of the song up, I was all "huh?" I never heard that Toto song (I was expectedly the usual Africa or Rosanna) and then when I definitely recognized the song, I realized I'd had the lyrics wrong and that I never knew what that song was called. The more you know...

Edited by ljenkins782
  • Like 2
  • LOL 1
3 hours ago, Gemma Violet said:

But the majority of those in the Top 12 do not have sob stories.  

• Like 3
38 minutes ago, twilightzone said:

But the majority of those in the Top 12 do not have sob stories.  

You made me curious so I thought back to their story. I had to Google some to refresh my memory. Some were a hard reach, but an American Idol sob story, nonetheless. 

Lucy: the sobbiest of them all. She's got kids y'all and she's raising them by herself. 😢😢😢

Iam: his father passed away 😢 

Oliver: his father is very sick, even had to give up his music career 😢 

Megan: grandpa died. Also father left the family 😢😢

Colin: raised by single mom. Had to move in with grandparents 😢

Nutsa: raised by single mom. Seems like she was the primary income earner in her household, even as a young girl 😢

Zachariah: at 20 y.o. is responsible for a family of 5. Flips burgers 😢

Haven: her brother has depression and was suicidal 😢

Tyson: speech delay 😢

Marybeth: has a stutter. Singing alleviates her stutter 😢

We Ani: people don't believe it's her real voice 😢

Warren: none? 🙂

• Like 3
  • Useful 3
  • LOL 3
  • Love 1
3 minutes ago, Blissfool said:

You made me curious so I thought back to their story. I had to Google some to refresh my memory. Some were a hard reach, but an American Idol sob story, nonetheless. 

Lucy: the sobbiest of them all. She's got kids y'all and she's raising them by herself. 😢😢😢

Iam: his father passed away 😢 

Oliver: his father is very sick, even had to give up his music career 😢 

Megan: grandpa died. Also father left the family 😢😢

Colin: raised by single mom. Had to move in with grandparents 😢

Nutsa: raised by single mom. Seems like she was the primary income earner in her household, even as a young girl 😢

Zachariah: at 20 y.o. is responsible for a family of 5. Flips burgers 😢

Haven: her brother has depression and was suicidal 😢

Tyson: speech delay 😢

Marybeth: has a stutter. Singing alleviates her stutter 😢

We Ani: people don't believe it's her real voice 😢

Warren: none? 🙂

This is an over-reach.  The majority of these really aren't sob stories - in the context of real life - where everyone as stuff they go through.

• Like 4

Eh, after you get beat over the head w/ all of them...they pretty much start to feel like sob stories.

Especially when you compare them to some of the people who recently were cut (outside of Elijah). Elise Kristine (literally no story whatsoever), Paige Anne (16 years old. No sob story to speak off yet), Malik Heard (Did we learn anything about him?), Olivia Soli (they added a minor sob story w/ her sister's accident quite a ways into the season), Kaeyra (first generation immigrant, sings in a restaurant), Pjae (significant weight loss journey), Emma (try to change course from theatre/Broadway to more contemporary music), Michael Williams (parents married for over 40 years), Nailyah (successful career as an Astrologer lol), Matt Wilson (married to a loving wife, works w/ cute kids as a teacher's aide), Dawson Wayne (??), Hannah (former star college volleyball player exploring music as a second act)..

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 2
19 minutes ago, twilightzone said:

This is an over-reach.  The majority of these really aren't sob stories - in the context of real life - where everyone as stuff they go through.

I did say they were a hard reach. I also said they were American Idol sad stories. You and I know they are normal, everyday troubles and tribulations, but AI pushes the stories on us for some reason.

It was tongue-in-cheek.

• Like 4
  • Wink 1

Speaking of sob stories, I'm nervous that Oliver's dad will take a turn for the worse and he'll be forced to leave the competition prematurely. He's not gonna win, but I'd like him to complete the journey. 

• Like 1
17 hours ago, JayDub1987 said:
18 hours ago, Gemma Violet said:

I am not sure who told Lucy to look angry ALL THE TIME but it is not a good look.  And mugging for the camera constantly whenever she is on camera, regardless if they are talking to her or the other contestants.  It is very distracting and rude if you ask me.  Someone needs to tell her looking like she is about to punch someone needs to be reeled in.  Try smiling once in a while.  It works wonders.  

• Like 4
  • Applause 1

I would like to take this opportunity to admit that I legitimately like the song "And I Am Telling You I'm Not Going" and that Nutsa did a surprisingly serviceable job.

BUT (there's always a but!) I think the thing about Nutsa that drives me crazy is it all seems so performative.  I don't get a sense that she really cares about music at all but she definitely cares about the attention, the possible fame and the $$$.  Hey, I don't know her, I could be way off base, it's just a vibe I get.

And to be fair, it's not just her.  The contestants that resonate with me are the ones who really FEEL the music and that's not all that common.

• Like 4
  • Applause 2
  • Useful 2
21 minutes ago, ruffy666 said:

I would like to take this opportunity to admit that I legitimately like the song "And I Am Telling You I'm Not Going" and that Nutsa did a surprisingly serviceable job.

BUT (there's always a but!) I think the thing about Nutsa that drives me crazy is it all seems so performative.  I don't get a sense that she really cares about music at all but she definitely cares about the attention, the possible fame and the $$$.  Hey, I don't know her, I could be way off base, it's just a vibe I get.

And to be fair, it's not just her.  The contestants that resonate with me are the ones who really FEEL the music and that's not all that common.

Agreed! I get a fake vibe from her. Including her whole "I'm so grateful to be here" thing.

Iam is a contestant who does seem to really feel the music (and seems genuinely grateful to be there), which is one of the reasons I like him.

• Like 5

When my panties get twisted I have to remind myself the “top whatever number” are just filling slots the producers want.  It’s very much not a singing competition. I watch because I love music in spite of the personalities that stay over the more talented. The judges are just filling slots as well. And the reason outrageous Katy overshadows Lionel and Luke is because her salary validates she is the most important person on this show. 🤑

While I want to let this show go, it’s really the sentimental value that keeps me around. The judges have taken over. They’re too much. Most contestants have already been “discovered”…just not enough for their egos. And it’s confirmed the show scouts many of them. Much like my mother’s silver that tarnished through the years, this show lost its luster a long time ago. 

I wonder if contestants eventually look back and realize they were used? Used to fill the slot of the poor one, the drama queen, the white one, the black one, the unmarketable one, the heart throb, the underdog, the disabled, the sobiest of sob stories. But to those seeking fame I suppose any exposure is good exposure. 

Sorry for the rant. I need to go adjust my panties once again. 😜

• Like 5
On 4/24/2023 at 7:53 PM, UrbanShocker said:

20 hours ago, ljenkins782 said:

If you were watching without the knowledge of who the judges were, you'd think Luke was Colin's dad, he was cheesing that hard throughout this performance. Shallowly, I hope the stylists can help Colin out with those eyebrows, or at least the one that has a little appendage at the corner. 

Honestly, when I look at Colin, I think he could be the little brother of last year's winner Noah Thompson. I will be shocked if he does win because he is so, so similar to last year's winner, and it seems like they try to shake it up a bit more than that.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, ForReal said:

Honestly, when I look at Colin, I think he could be the little brother of last year's winner Noah Thompson. I will be shocked if he does win because he is so, so similar to last year's winner, and it seems like they try to shake it up a bit more than that.

He does look so much like him. Katie was right: he gave such a life-altering performance. I love it for him just a skosh less than Luke did. 😉

I'm also a big fan of Nutsa. I do think she got a bad edit with the singing partner drama. I agree with a previous poster that some want to practice until exhausted. That wasn't Nutsa, and she shouldn't have been presented like that. I hope she goes deep into the competition. She has a professional sheen to her that might be off-putting, but her story + talent are compelling. 

We'Ani, please pick really good songs. As great as you are, song choice will be key to you making top three.

Iam's sound and tone are so magical to me. 

My top three predictions today: Iam, Colin, and We.

• Like 2

This lot is terrible and the results went exactly how you'd expect for this show. Matt not making top 12 in particular was insane.

We and Iam are the only two good contestants this year. Anyone else will top Chayce Beckham for worst winner of the ABC seasons. Speaking if We, her performance was perfect, easily her best so far.

Credit where credit is due, Colin gave a career defining performance with Dancing By Myself.  Covering the version by out LGBTQ Country singer Calum Scott.

I would like to see someone other than the Voice alums (We, Marybeth, Megan) be given a chance.  They had the advantage of coming into the competition with a built-in fan base and national TV experience - that the others didn't have.

Edited by twilightzone
  • Like 5
2 hours ago, twilightzone said:

Credit where credit is due, Colin gave a career defining performance with Dancing By Myself.  Covering the version by out LGBTQ Country singer Calum Scott.

I would like to see someone other than the Voice alums (We, Marybeth, Megan) be given a chance.  They had the advantage of coming into the competition with a built-in fan base and national TV experience - that the others didn't have.

I agree with the Voice contestants--it seems an unfair advantage. Same for Nutsa, though I guess the competitions she was in were international, so much of that fan base can't (legally) vote for her. But she still has more of a following than the non-Voice contestants. Hm, even not counting the fan base, I imagine it would give them an advantage having been in a televised competition before.

• Applause 1