Type keyword(s) to search

S21.E14: Top 20 to Top 12

dizzyd
  • Start Topic

23 hours ago, MarylandGirl said:

I agree with the Voice contestants--it seems an unfair advantage. Same for Nutsa, though I guess the competitions she was in were international, so much of that fan base can't (legally) vote for her. But she still has more of a following than the non-Voice contestants. Hm, even not counting the fan base, I imagine it would give them an advantage having been in a televised competition before.

I was thinking of someone like We - who has been predicted to be in the Finals.  But she also finished in the Finals (3rd place) on The Voice.  So of course, she's going to be great, etc.  She has working resume as a Professional Singer.

Edited by twilightzone
  • Like 5
  • Useful 1
22 hours ago, twilightzone said:

Covering the version by out LGBTQ Country singer Calum Scott.

Is Calum Scott a country singer? I thought he was pop. I'd first heard him duet with Leona Lewis on "You Are the Reason" before checking out his solo stuff, which all sounded pop to me...

Anyway, I also thought Olivia should've made top 12 despite having given a few terrible performances lately. I liked her audition and "I Surrender," but she wasn't great on "Emotions" or "God is a woman." Either way, she was more interesting than 9-10 people that made it. I also liked Hannah's and Mariah's voices somewhat, but I knew they wouldn't make it through. Only Olivia and Matt getting done in so soon surprised me.

Hopefully the show plans to have a three- or five-way vote in the finale like they did in their early seasons on ABC (same way that The Voice has), otherwise I don't see this season ending well since they only have two good contestants left this year in We and Iam.

Edited by TheGreenKnight
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, TheGreenKnight said:

Hopefully the show plans to have a three- or five-way vote in the finale

Per MJ's, we'll go to top 7 this weekend (10 down to 7), then the following Sunday (May 7th), 7 down to 5 (no Monday show), then the following weekend top 5 perform on Sunday May 14th. Monday May 15th is described as 'journey to the finale', so maybe it goes to 3 at that point, like it did last year? The actual finale is the Sunday after that, May 21st.

• Useful 4

I hate how quickly they drop people.  They should cut down on all the auditions and then do 2 eliminations per week from the top 20 to the top 10.  Then 1 per week.  I believe that's how they used to do it.  I also think that's why we get so few stars out of this show now.  Used to be that a top 10 contestant could still do really well in the real world.  But now we barely get to know the top 20 except for a select few that they shove down our throats from the auditions (i.e. Lucy).  

I also think that those who have already been on another show and done really well on the show but have not had success in the real world are probably just not marketable.  They've already had plenty of exposure but still haven't gotten signed, or they've made an album and its gone nowhere.  Seems like it's time to find another career or resign yourself to being a local singer.   

I don't see anyone in this bunch that will be the next Kelly Clarkson or Carrie Underwood.   I think Haven has some possibilities of being a Taylor Swift-type singer as she is a great songwriter and she's gorgeous.  I don't see Wei or Iam filling a stadium for a concert.  The recent country winners seem to have some success but I don't think any of them are super stars and I think we may have another country winner this year. 

• Like 4
On 4/26/2023 at 10:47 AM, ruffy666 said:

BUT (there's always a but!) I think the thing about Nutsa that drives me crazy is it all seems so performative.  I don't get a sense that she really cares about music at all but she definitely cares about the attention, the possible fame and the $$$.  Hey, I don't know her, I could be way off base, it's just a vibe I get.

This is how I feel about We.

On 4/26/2023 at 3:05 PM, Rorysmom said:

I'm also a big fan of Nutsa. I do think she got a bad edit with the singing partner drama. I agree with a previous poster that some want to practice until exhausted. That wasn't Nutsa, and she shouldn't have been presented like that. I hope she goes deep into the competition. She has a professional sheen to her that might be off-putting, but her story + talent are compelling. 

+1

• Like 3
3 hours ago, Katie111 said:

But now we barely get to know the top 20 except for a select few

Yes.  This is the big problem with the show (well, one of the problems).  They don't let us get to know the contestants.  The thing is, when the show was on Fox it had its own management company as well as a deal with a record label; therefore, it had a huge incentive to promote the singers each week and allow us to grow attached to a certain singer and be champing at the bit to buy his/her album.  Now, the show isn't tied to a management company and has no deal with a record label.  All they care about is good or passable ratings for the show.  What happens with the contestants after the show is no concern of theirs.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
1 hour ago, Gemma Violet said:

Yes.  This is the big problem with the show (well, one of the problems).  They don't let us get to know the contestants.  The thing is, when the show was on Fox it had its own management company as well as a deal with a record label; therefore, it had a huge incentive to promote the singers each week and allow us to grow attached to a certain singer and be champing at the bit to buy his/her album.  Now, the show isn't tied to a management company and has no deal with a record label.  All they care about is good or passable ratings for the show.  What happens with the contestants after the show is no concern of theirs.

Idol still has a Management company and BMG is the record label.  The ratings aren't good enough for ABC to order more live shows - which is more expensive to produce than the auditions.

The spiraling of Idol really began around Season 12 on FOX.  The music industry had changed, as did technology with streaming, YouTube, social media and now Tik Tok.  There was competition from The Voice, America's Got Talent.

Idol's priority has always been to make money.  When the show was popular, it was the media, fans that help promote it.

Edited by twilightzone
  • Like 3
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1
On 4/27/2023 at 4:29 PM, twilightzone said:

I would like to see someone other than the Voice alums (We, Marybeth, Megan) be given a chance.  They had the advantage of coming into the competition with a built-in fan base and national TV experience - that the others didn't have.

I've never been a Voice fan, so all of these singers are new to me. Maybe it's the same for other Idol viewers. 

Edited by Rorysmom
Multiple post!
  • Useful 1