Type keyword(s) to search

Why Grammar Matters: A Place To Discuss Matters Of Grammar

Message added by JTMacc99,

Nbc Brooklyn 99 GIF by Brooklyn Nine-Nine

• Start Topic

47 minutes ago, EtheltoTillie said:

Yes, that one definitely works, and I guess I do use that all the time too without really thinking about it. 

That's because we lawyers (not "us lawyers") understand the value in using as few words as necessary to convey our meaning.   

• Applause 2
(edited)
25 minutes ago, supposebly said:

John works two hours more than I/me/I do.

11 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Since you're asking (thank you)…

• John works two hours more than me do.

is not something I can recall hearing, unless maybe in some Pidgin English.
Is that what you were referencing?

If so, are there acknowledged rules of grammar for Pidgin English, as with, say, Ebonics?

I ask because if so, maybe I could get over my twitching when I encounter phrasing like “her brother, who is two years younger than her.”

I'm pretty sure the options were intended to be:

John works two hours more than (I) / (me) / (I do).

Edited by SoMuchTV
Double posted
  • Like 1
  • Useful 1
20 minutes ago, Quof said:

That's because we lawyers (not "us lawyers") understand the value in using as few words as necessary to convey our meaning.   

I actually learned that skill as a magazine editor.  I am constantly editing a lawyer colleague who started as a lawyer without a previous career.  He adds too many words, and I always have to delete them.  He was trained to put in too many words under the theory that you might be misunderstood or some contract would be breached or whatever. 

In journalism you can rely on understood words, particularly when you keep discussing the same topic.  Lawyers are taught they aren't permitted do that.  Here's one that you'd never do in journalism:  John Smith (hereinafter Mr. Smith)  . . . rest of sentence.  Or  John Smith ("Smith" or "Mr. Smith") rest of sentence.  They actually taught us this in legal writing class, but I have never used it after my law school days.  I vowed never to use the words hereinafter or therein in any document, but I have not always succeeded because of having to work with other lawyers at times. 

• Like 2
On 8/31/2024 at 6:23 AM, Anduin said:

Makes perfect sense as it is. Doesn't need to go on, doesn't need to elaborate, doesn't need to explain any further. Short and to the point, unlike this response, which will drag on as long as I feel like typing, and perhaps even longer, and in worse shape as it gos along,

"Gos"?  Ironic in this particular thread.

• LOL 3
On 8/16/2024 at 3:07 AM, fairffaxx said:

A homicide victim was "funeralized" today, according to a local TV reporter.  By the way, we're in the San Francisco Bay Area, where people are generally well-educated (whatever you may think of our politics).  🙀

At least I hope they said that the victim was killed and not "unalived". Self-censorship is driving me mental.

• Like 3
On 8/31/2024 at 7:27 AM, shapeshifter said:

So just:

Why not: 

... her brother, two years younger, will succeed

or even:

...her younger brother will succeed

I spend a lot of time editing the scientific papers of my employees.  Many words need to be slashed.

succeed is a weird word

• Like 3
17 hours ago, EtheltoTillie said:

I saw a web version of a magazine that had a story about a heard of elephants. They do get pretty loud, I guess. 

And there's the prodigious ears — 
“The better to hear you with, my dear.”

13 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

Maybe these are the result of autocorrect (and poor proofreading)? 

AI is bungling my Google searches and my Amazon review searches in a suspiciously similar manner. 
So I'm guessing Chat GPT is involved (or whatever the cool advertising content producers are using these days).

Edited by shapeshifter
“.” not “,”
  • Sad 2
  • Fire 1