Type keyword(s) to search

Chit-Chat: What's On Your Mind Today?

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

We all have been drawn into off-topic discussions, me included. There's little that's off-topic when it comes to Chit Chat, so the only ask is that you please remember that this is the Chit Chat topic and that there's a subforum for all things health and wellness here.

If there's something you need clarification on, please keep in mind that it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; talk to them and not about what they said.
If you disagree, consider how we can express our differing opinions and still respect the other's opinion and recognize it as valid.
We're all different people, so different perspectives and points of views are natural, welcome even for growing a healthy community. What is important is that we disagree with empathy and consideration. (If need be, check out the how do we have healthy debates guidelines for more).

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, BooksRule said:

Just out of curiosity, do any of you have pickers or junkers who drive around your neighborhood and pick up stuff that's been left at the curb? 

Yes and since my city only does bulk pick up once a month and charges if it's over a certain size, I'm always grateful when they reduce my pile. I put out an old above ground pool this month and they took all of the metal parts in less than a day, so I was only left with the rolled up liner.

• Like 6
(edited)

People that express themselves well via messaging or more importantly verbally in real life have a good skill.  It's just I guess not one of my finer points.

I find it challenging just answering simple questions where did I go shopping or what did I do on the weekend.  

Edited by BlueSkies
  • Like 1
  • Hugs 5
39 minutes ago, BlueSkies said:

I find it challenging just answering simple questions where did I go shopping or what did I do on the weekend.  

You might be surprised to know I'm often not great at verbally answering simple questions either.
But I do have a lifelong obsession with repeatedly editing my writing.
😉

I actually do better answering complicated questions.🙃

• Like 8
6 hours ago, BooksRule said:

Just out of curiosity, do any of you have pickers or junkers who drive around your neighborhood and pick up stuff that's been left at the curb? 

I must because a few times we've put stuff out and it's gone by the end of the day.  Sometimes middle of the day, LOL.  I always thought it was just people in the neighborhood but it could be pickers or junkers.  We once put out an old gas grill, not even an expensive brand, and it was gone by mid day.  We don't have town garbage here or a curbside pickup for large items.  If you want it removed you have to schedule it with your private garbage collector or another service and pay for it.  I'm also on a well, most of my town is.  If I got solar panels I could almost be off the grid!  But hey, at least my taxes are lower than most towns around here. 😉

1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

😉

Haha, so do I!  🙃

• Like 3

Tineye and Google image search have failed me. Does anyone know what painting this is from? There's no attribution in the planner. I'm guessing a detail from Monet but haven't found anything that matches.

Capture1.PNG

(edited)
46 minutes ago, ABay said:

Tineye and Google image search have failed me. Does anyone know what painting this is from? There's no attribution in the planner. I'm guessing a detail from Monet but haven't found anything that matches.

Capture1.PNG

It's not Monet.
The style is different.
It's closer to Odilon Redon or Gustav Klimt, but not theirs either.
It looks like possibly the work of someone I used to follow on Facebook.
Perhaps you did too, and that's why it looks familiar … "almost famous"?
If there's no attribution, it's likely an in-house illustrator who gets no credit, just like the writers of Hallmark card poems.

But I could be wrong.
If I see a post in Facebook from that artist and it seems to be the same, I'll post about it here.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 2
On 4/13/2024 at 5:45 PM, ECM1231 said:

Anyone know a surefire method of removing gel nail polish, or must I go back to the salon? This is only the 2nd time I've gotten a gel manicure and the 1st time, I just let it gradually peel off. Nail polish remover doesn't work. The manicure is lasting pretty well; it's been 3 weeks now. If it weren't for the fact that my right index finger is totally devoid of polish, I'd leave it be.  I won't get another gel manicure until right before Mother's Day. 

You need a few supplies to take the gel off--a file or emery board, acetone, cotton squares or balls, aluminum foil, and a metal cuticle stick.  Use the emery board or file to buff out the shine on the polish and break up the top layer of polish.  Soak a cotton pad in acetone and place it on the nail, wrap it up in foil, and wait 20ish minutes for the acetone soak down to your nail.  Use the cuticle pusher to gently remove the polish.  

• Mind Blown 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Useful 2
(edited)

@ABayWhen I clicked/held the picture these two things came up. There are websites that came up for Debian and linodeobjects when I did google search but I didn’t click on them

IMG_7626.jpeg

IMG_7627.jpeg

IMG_7628.png

Edited by stewedsquash
  • Like 1
3 minutes ago, stewedsquash said:

@ABayWhen I clicked/held the picture these two things came up. There are websites that came up for Debian and linodeobjects when I did google search but I didn’t click on them

IMG_7626.jpeg

IMG_7627.jpeg

IMG_7628.png

Recently I noticed the address for images posted here and was confused at first too. It seems Debian is an open source software with applications beyond my tech-savvy ken, but is being used on this site to serve up images we upload.
For example:
https://debian-us-sea.us-sea-1.linodeobjects.com/monthly_2024_04/image.png.e5b16a319ac96b9f43d5bc315c8ea315.png

On 4/10/2024 at 4:36 PM, ECM1231 said:

I need to stock up on US postage stamps. I just read that there will be a proposed increase to $0.73 for a first-class stamp, which is outrageous considering how bad service has gotten in the last few years. 

I'm gonna go out on a limb and defend the post office a little.  With the caveat that I'm old enough to remember writing letters, and the thrill and anticipation of checking the mailbox.

I've always thought it's nothing short of miraculous that I can drop a postcard in a mailbox in one corner of the country and it will show up in another corner of the country in just a few days.  Seriously--what are the odds?  My little piece of paper makes it to its destination while being bounced around among hundreds of millions of envelopes and boxes of all shapes and sizes, and is delivered to someone's door.  (Fortunately, it appears sealing wax on the back of envelopes is not all the rage it was when I was a teenager, so the machines probably run smoother these days.)

As for the cost of stamps, the post office is in a unique position--it gets no taxpayer money, but Congress imposes all the rules on it.  The post office can't, for example, delete unprofitable routes.  So all of the hassle and none of the benefits of being associated with the government.  Personally, I wish they'd do a substantial hike every once in a while, and I'm surprised they're needing to raise the price again already, but if they have to charge more in order to be profitable, that's what has to happen.

I've been traveling fulltime for the past 20 years, and the first question people ask is, "How do you get your mail?"  General Delivery by the post office.  It still works.   My friend boxes up my mail and sends it to me c/o General Delivery at a given post office, and they hold it for me until I come pick it up.

So far, I haven't experienced significant delays in having my box o' mail show up, but other people report that they have.  I gather that it depends on where the mail is coming from and going to.  And of course I have to calculate for delays when predicting where I can meet up with my mail, which I didn't have to do in the past, and actually still haven't experienced but I can't be sure I won't.  So that's a hassle.  But at least it exists, and I'm actually a little worried that some people would be fine with the post office ceasing to exist at all. 

• Like 8
  • Love 5

Sharing this here because if there's a "Specials" board, I don't think it has a thread for Billy Joel's 100th Madison Square Garden performance that was recorded March 28th and aired last night on CBS —
It was cut off about 10 minutes early, so they're supposed to re-air it on CBS this Friday at 9ET. (If you subscribe to Paramount+, this is a non-issue.)

He's 74 and still has his voice and musical skills and showmanship, which is nice to see and hear, especially for those of us near his age —
and maybe those a decade or more younger too?

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/billy-joel-special-to-air-again-after-cut-off-cbs/

CBS said it will re-air its broadcast of Billy Joel's 100th consecutive performance at Madison Square Garden after it was cut short for some viewers on Sunday. 

Joel was in the middle of singing "Piano Man" when local news began in some parts of the country. 

"Due to the overwhelming demand from his legion of fans," Joel's performance, filmed on March 28, will air again in its entirety on Friday, April 19, at 9 p.m. ET, CBS said on Monday. Fans can also watch Joel's performance on Paramount+.

"A network programming timing error ended last night's Billy Joel special approximately two minutes early in the Eastern and Central Time Zones," Julie Holland, CBS's Vice President of Communications, said in a statement. "We apologize to Mr. Joel, his fans, our affiliated stations, and our audience whose viewing experience was interrupted during the last song."

• Like 10
On 4/15/2024 at 2:50 AM, shapeshifter said:

You might be surprised to know I'm often not great at verbally answering simple questions either.
😉

I actually do better answering complicated questions.🙃

That's the problem with conversations ... you can't edit what you said afterwards, once you think of a perfect comeback to some stupid comment. Or when you realize that what you said made perfect sense to you, but people may have missed half of what you tried to say because of a lack of context.

• Like 6
  • Applause 3
1 minute ago, JustHereForFood said:

That's the problem with conversations ... you can't edit what you said afterwards, once you think of a perfect comeback to some stupid comment. Or when you realize that what you said made perfect sense to you, but people may have missed half of what you tried to say because of a lack of context.

My snappy answers usually come to me later.  Perfect comebacks wasted.

• Like 6
  • Wink 3
  • Fire 2
14 minutes ago, oliviabenson said:

I can’t remember if I took my phone with me today. So it’s either at home or lost. If I lost it I’m mad. Sigh.

My nightmare!  Most of my work is hidden behind two step verifications tied to my phone.  And I don't even like phones...

• Like 4
47 minutes ago, oliviabenson said:

I can’t remember if I took my phone with me today. So it’s either at home or lost. If I lost it I’m mad. Sigh.

I hate it when that happens. But I *try* to convince myself that it's a good exercise in being independent from my phone in case of some technology disaster that breaks the internet.

Like, if you hold your arm outstretched, the distance of the width of your 4 fingers from the horizon should be an hour from sunset, so you can approximate time.

If you get home and still can't find phone, and if it's an iPhone, you can use the Find My Phone app to find it, even if your laptop is a PC. 
I'm guessing Android/Google phones have this too. 

One time my phone fell out of my purse into my uncle's car when he was dropping me off at Mom's hospice/assisted living. I was able to call it with the Find My Phone app so that it rang in my uncle's car. At least he'd only gotten half way home. He didn't mind bringing it back.

Mostly I use the Find My Phone app when I'm not sure if the phone is in my car (downstairs and outside in the garage) or just under the covers in my bed.

• Like 6
  • Useful 1
(edited)
On 4/15/2024 at 9:21 AM, ABay said:

Capture1.PNG

22 hours ago, ABay said:

Thanks all, @shapeshifter and @stewedsquash. It probably was an in-house illustrator. I really like the colors and thought maybe I could find a poster.

Here's the artist I follow on Facebook whose flowers have a similar vibe:
https://www.susancrouch.com/collections/154355

It looks like the originals are about $300, but the prints are only $35.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 5
2 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Like, if you hold your arm outstretched, the distance of the width of your 4 fingers from the horizon should be an hour from sunset, so you can approximate time.

I just wear a watch.   

I like it because I get jewelry and timekeeping all in one.  I have three watches I rotate between, one gold and two silver.  The two silver ones are old, from the days when you had to wind them, but one stopped working and it wasn't valuable enough to justify restoring as a mechanical, so I had it converted to a quartz.  The other - my grandma's - I still wind.  Which sometimes results in odd looks from younger folks, if I just throw it on as I'm running out the door and then don't think to actually set and wind it until I get where I'm going.

• Like 5
  • Love 1
On 4/15/2024 at 10:07 AM, shapeshifter said:

It's not Monet.
The style is different.
It's closer to Odilon Redon or Gustav Klimt, but not theirs either.
It looks like possibly the work of someone I used to follow on Facebook.
Perhaps you did too, and that's why it looks familiar … "almost famous"?
If there's no attribution, it's likely an in-house illustrator who gets no credit, just like the writers of Hallmark card poems.

I agree, but it's just sooooo familiar.  It looks just like the folder from a stationery set I bought in a card shop when I was a kid.  It's amazing how stuff you had as a kid is permanently in your memory.  I really think that's the same painting. It's interesting you mentioned Hallmark.  It might have been a Hallmark product, I don't remember.  There was another company that did pretty stationery that I bought back then but I don't remember the name.  We're talking over 50 years ago here.  I wish I still had it so I could verify that but alas I don't.

@ABay, I see it says "planner" - Is it a Hallmark planner or do you know where it came from?

• Like 2
6 hours ago, JustHereForFood said:

6 hours ago, Suzn said:

My snappy answers usually come to me later.  Perfect comebacks wasted.

Bingo, this is me!

I'm also that woman in bed thinking of the perfect thing she should have said in 2012, LOL.

I've read that this is something that mostly introverts suffer from.  Anyone can but we live there, LOL.

Although I do have to say about verbal conversations that they are actually more forgiving in a way because you have the non-verbal element to "soften" whatever you say, so you can actually get away with saying some things in person that you could never say in writing without giving the wrong impression.  But of course that's within limits too.

• Like 8
52 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

Bingo, this is me!

I'm also that woman in bed thinking of the perfect thing she should have said in 2012, LOL.

I've read that this is something that mostly introverts suffer from.  Anyone can but we live there, LOL.

Although I do have to say about verbal conversations that they are actually more forgiving in a way because you have the non-verbal element to "soften" whatever you say, so you can actually get away with saying some things in person that you could never say in writing without giving the wrong impression.  But of course that's within limits too.

I've seen complaints that there is no sarcasm font.

• Like 6
2 hours ago, Bastet said:

I just wear a watch.   

I like it because I get jewelry and timekeeping all in one.  I have three watches I rotate between, one gold and two silver.  The two silver ones are old, from the days when you had to wind them, but one stopped working and it wasn't valuable enough to justify restoring as a mechanical, so I had it converted to a quartz.  The other - my grandma's - I still wind.  Which sometimes results in odd looks from younger folks, if I just throw it on as I'm running out the door and then don't think to actually set and wind it until I get where I'm going.

I also wear a watch.  I sometimes wish I could wear more than one at a time because I might have...43. 

I was joking at work that for my retirement, they should get me a gold watch, and then mentioned to my boss that there was a new Fossil Mickey Mouse watch that I loved, but it was $400.  When he asked me to show him which one, I knew I was going to get it - and I did!  It's one that runs off of movement - I have to set it if it's been sitting around for a few days, but it works off the movement of my arm and keeps perfect time.  I love it!

• Like 10
5 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I hate it when that happens. But I *try* to convince myself that it's a good exercise in being independent from my phone in case of some technology disaster that breaks the internet.

If you get home and still can't find phone, and if it's an iPhone, you can use the Find My Phone app to find it, even if your laptop is a PC. 
I'm guessing Android/Google phones have this too. 

One time my phone fell out of my purse into my uncle's car when he was dropping me off at Mom's hospice/assisted living. I was able to call it with the Find My Phone app so that it rang in my uncle's car. At least he'd only gotten half way home. He didn't mind bringing it back.

Mostly I use the Find My Phone app when I'm not sure if the phone is in my car (downstairs and outside in the garage) or just under the covers in my bed.

It’s an iPhone 

• Like 1
(edited)
2 hours ago, Yeah No said:

I agree, but it's just sooooo familiar.  It looks just like the folder from a stationery set I bought in a card shop when I was a kid.  It's amazing how stuff you had as a kid is permanently in your memory.  I really think that's the same painting. It's interesting you mentioned Hallmark.  It might have been a Hallmark product, I don't remember.  There was another company that did pretty stationery that I bought back then but I don't remember the name.  We're talking over 50 years ago here.  I wish I still had it so I could verify that but alas I don't.

@ABay, I see it says "planner" - Is it a Hallmark planner or do you know where it came from?

This is a stretch, but each year I get Planners when I give a donation to Boys Town.  Lately, they are showing Kincaid paintings on cards and planners.  You could ask hem if they ever used these pictures on their planners.  Who knows?  Or, calendars in the Mall.  They usually have many calendars of paintings.

Edited by kristen111
  • Like 1
4 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I've seen complaints that there is no sarcasm font.

For sarcasm, just put a /s at the end of your last sentence. That's what they do in the comments section of the Washington Post.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 5
6 hours ago, Bastet said:

I just wear a watch.   

I love watches but I am ruined for life now because of a Samsung smart watch that's integrated with my Samsung phone.  For two years since I got it I have not been able to go back to my regular watches, which I love.  And I regret that but for me there's no going back. 

I find that the smart watch is so convenient and does so many things for me I would feel at a loss without it.  It even has a built in "find my phone" button that rings the phone if you misplace it.  I can read and reply to email and texts, get notifications.  I can even make, answer or decline phone calls, look at the weather, see how many steps I've taken, my heart rate, how many hours I slept, etc.  And when my phone is half way across the room or in my purse (which is a lot of the time) that's a big advantage.  But then I look at my regular watches and feel sad.

• Like 4
40 minutes ago, oliviabenson said:

I didn’t lose my phone. It was on my kitchen table. I’m so relieved! 

That’s like me losing my glasses only to figure out they were on top of my head! 

• Like 1
  • Wink 3
  • LOL 6
(edited)
13 hours ago, Yeah No said:

I love watches but I am ruined for life now because of a Samsung smart watch that's integrated with my Samsung phone.  For two years since I got it I have not been able to go back to my regular watches, which I love.  And I regret that but for me there's no going back. 

I find that the smart watch is so convenient and does so many things for me I would feel at a loss without it.  It even has a built in "find my phone" button that rings the phone if you misplace it.  I can read and reply to email and texts, get notifications.  I can even make, answer or decline phone calls, look at the weather, see how many steps I've taken, my heart rate, how many hours I slept, etc.  And when my phone is half way across the room or in my purse (which is a lot of the time) that's a big advantage.  But then I look at my regular watches and feel sad.

I’m the same.  I have a number of watches including two really beautiful expensive ones but all I wear any more is my Apple Watch.  

Edited to add: I have a Swarovski crystal surround and bling-y strap on it but it’s still a big clunky smart watch 

Edited by Caoimhe
  • Like 3
3 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

That’s like me losing my glasses only to figure out they were on top of my head! 

I once put my phone in a fridge and lost my mind looking for it lol

• Mind Blown 1
  • LOL 7
4 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

I did that not too long ago. Fortunately, I was home alone. But the worst thing is, asking a store employee where a product is and (s)he points at the shelf right beside you. That happened to me *once* (& you know I wanted the earth to open up & swallow me!)  A year later, I was in the same supermarket and a customer asked me where a product was. I pointed at it. Of course she was embarrassed. But I told her at least it was just me (similar age woman) and not a young store employee, (as I'd experienced). I rarely ask employees where anything is if I'm standing in the appropriate aisle 😁.

• Like 6

It’s the same story everyday here.  We are either looking for our glasses, my cell phone, or the REMOTE.  Only one remote, so we go nuts blaming one another.

• LOL 9
46 minutes ago, kristen111 said:

It’s the same story everyday here.  We are either looking for our glasses, my cell phone, or the REMOTE.  Only one remote, so we go nuts blaming one another.

We have about a million remotes so for us it's pens. For some weird reason, my husband hoards pens. If one runs out of ink, another magically appears. I say "Where the hell are the pens?" and he just shrugs and looks mysterious.

• Like 1
  • LOL 9
38 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

We have about a million remotes so for us it's pens. For some weird reason, my husband hoards pens. If one runs out of ink, another magically appears. I say "Where the hell are the pens?" and he just shrugs and looks mysterious.

I take that back.  One main remote to turn tv on.  Then another to switch sources, then one for the Firestick for Netflix and Prime tv.  He is not technical, so leaves it up to me.  Once one remote was in my purse.  Oh, and pens and pads all over for grocery lists.  Now, he is the Master of all grocery shopping, and I could care less.  I am the banker tho, and the bills, but he is the main breadwinner.  It all works out tho.

• Like 6

Scissors are what I am perpetually looking for.  I can be pretty bad about just setting my tools down on my workbench rather than putting them back where they belong, but in the house I'm very good about putting things back in their place -- except scissors, which for some reason I tend to leave wherever I last used them.  And, of course, by the time I need them again, I can no longer remember where I last used them, so I have to search room by room.  I get particularly annoyed with myself when I don't first check the drawer they're supposed to be in, and it turns out to be one of the rare times I put them away properly, so I just wasted time on a search that didn't even need to exist.

• Like 4
  • Wink 2

I don’t think of myself as a big spender, but I’ve come to appreciate the value of buying a pair of scissors for every drawer, a remote for either side of the couch, a flashlight for every room…

• Like 8
  • Applause 3

I actually wear a wind up Timex watch that I bought probably on Ebay.  It must be from the 60s.  I got so tired of watch batteries dying and not being able to replace them, and I don't have a smart watch.  I have an Android phone, in fact I have two but I really prefer having a watch to look at.  It bugs me that public places rarely seem to have clocks on the wall anymore. 

I lose scissors too.  I've come up with a lot of alternate ways of opeing package.  Pushpins.  Ballpoint pen tips.  Whatever sometimes.

• Like 6
  • LOL 2
5 minutes ago, roseha said:

I've come up with a lot of alternate ways of opeing package.  Pushpins.  Ballpoint pen tips.  Whatever sometimes.

I have plenty of scissors and knives, but if you don't have them handy, a key works.

• Like 5
  • Useful 3
1 hour ago, roseha said:

I actually wear a wind up Timex watch that I bought probably on Ebay.  It must be from the 60s.  I got so tired of watch batteries dying and not being able to replace them, and I don't have a smart watch.  I have an Android phone, in fact I have two but I really prefer having a watch to look at.  It bugs me that public places rarely seem to have clocks on the wall anymore. 

I lose scissors too.  I've come up with a lot of alternate ways of opeing package.  Pushpins.  Ballpoint pen tips.  Whatever sometimes.

Ballpoints work very well. And.. somehow I'm back to pens. Is there a full moon tonight?

• Like 4
On 4/16/2024 at 4:41 PM, Bastet said:

I just wear a watch.   

I have a small gold watch somewhere, that my mum bought me, to replace the last one I had.  You have to wind it up.  I used to wear two small gold rings on my ring finger, and little finger, along with the watch. 

17 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Ballpoints work very well. And.. somehow I'm back to pens. Is there a full moon tonight?

I love pens, and mugs.  

• Like 6

Literally today I was in a mad frenzy when I came home from a dental cleaning and couldn't find my driver's license, ATM cards, Costco card and passport card.  I last had them in my hands at the dentist when I took them out of my wallet to find my ATM card to pay my balance.  Not realizing they were missing, I went home, freshened up, had lunch and went out again.  When I got on line at the supermarket I looked in my wallet and realized those cards were not there.  I paid with another card and went home to find them but didn't have much luck.  I searched the car and my purse 3 times and all over the house.  I even called the dentist's office.  Long story short - they were in a "secret" zipper compartment I never use in my semi-new wallet.  In my effort to put them in a super-secure place, I forgot which super-secure place I put them in!  I was so distracted talking to the receptionist at the dentist's office I must have done that without thinking! 

Of course a friend called while I was searching and told me I'd "better get used to this because we're getting older".  I said, "You're telling me?  I'm 2 years older than you!", LOL.

I seem to have a habit of putting things in such a "safe place" that even I can't find them.  I bought an urn for my mother's ashes several years ago and forgot where I put it.  It finally turned up far back in a closet 2 years ago and I was finally able to have her ashes put in it.  Now I try to "psych myself out" by putting things where I would most likely look for them, but this still happens to me.  Ugh!

• Like 6
  • Hugs 3
  • Wink 1
  • LOL 1
5 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

My father was like that.  If anyone needed a pen he always had one and if that one didn't work another one would pop out of nowhere.  When my dad was young he wore a pocket protector with pens in it.  Yeah, my dad was kind of a nerd that way.  He also hoarded batteries, blank cassette tapes and CDs and of all things, clipboards, LOL.  

Me, I think all my pens go into a black hole somewhere.  Same for reading glasses, Sharpie markers and Scotch tape.  I suspect my husband takes them and forgets to give them back.  One day I'm going to search his office and I fully expect to find a drawer full of my missing stuff, LOL. 

• Like 3
  • Wink 3
25 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

, I think all my pens go into a black hole somewhere. 

My pens just take advantage of the dark to breed more of themselves.

Or maybe I was formerly a compulsive buyer of pens.

• Like 1
  • LOL 11