Type keyword(s) to search

Chit-Chat: What's On Your Mind Today?

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

We all have been drawn into off-topic discussions, me included. There's little that's off-topic when it comes to Chit Chat, so the only ask is that you please remember that this is the Chit Chat topic and that there's a subforum for all things health and wellness here.

If there's something you need clarification on, please keep in mind that it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; talk to them and not about what they said.
If you disagree, consider how we can express our differing opinions and still respect the other's opinion and recognize it as valid.
We're all different people, so different perspectives and points of views are natural, welcome even for growing a healthy community. What is important is that we disagree with empathy and consideration. (If need be, check out the how do we have healthy debates guidelines for more).

• Start Topic

23 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I think I've mentioned this before, but I had Growing Up Skipper, who got boobs when you turned her arm a certain way.  She got flat-chested again when you turned her arm the other way.

I remember those!

I also had a tendency to switch the dolls' heads around to different bodies. Why? I don't know. 

I did that with my Kiddles if I didn't like the outfit she came in (Kologne Kiddles only).

• Like 2
  • LOL 2
59 minutes ago, Laura Holt said:

I don't want to make anyone jealous but my Barbies had a blue roadster, a pool and a camper van as well as  two houses.  One "boughten" and one my Mom made.  Looking back on all the stuff my sisters and I had for our Barbies I'm left wondering what my parents had against getting us Ken!!

I had a Barbie pool!!

It looked like this:

https://pin.it/67uOGkH

• Like 3
  • LOL 1
13 minutes ago, PRgal said:

I had a Barbie pool!!

It looked like this:

Definitely not fit for a  Olympic swimmer Barbie!
And I guess it's a good thing you didn't have a Ken.😉
But I do wonder why the marketers didn't call it a sauna. Like, maybe it was going to be a sauna, but last minute someone "pulled the plug" on that idea, so they decided that since it was already rolling off the assembly line, they would call it a "pool"?

• Like 2
13 hours ago, PRgal said:

Not sure if it should be here or in music, but I bought a record player on Prime Day and I’m now trying to build my collection.  My parents don’t have anything I could inherit save for an unopened soundtrack for Two of a Kind with John Travolta and Olivia Newton-John.  I’m 99% sure they had a Barbra Streisand record but they couldn’t find it.  So anything I really need to have?  I bought Thriller (though you will never get me to watch the video.  It gave me nightmares 40 years ago and will still do now) and a few compilations (Queen, Elton John and ABBA).  Anything else?  I’m thinking Joni Mitchell and Janis Joplin.  I really need women singers.  

Joni Mitchell’s “Blue” and “Hejira” are great albums, whether you can get them on vinyl I’m not sure though.  I did read once that Mitchell said that some of her earlier albums had gone out of print.   Maybe those are available though.  

• Like 3
5 hours ago, Bastet said:

According to an article posted in the film's thread:

If you are wondering whether Barbie is a satire of a toy company’s capitalist ambitions, a searing indictment of the current fraught state of gender relations, a heartwarming if occasionally clichéd tribute to girl power, or a musical spectacle filled with earworms from Nicki Minaj and Dua Lipa, the answer is yes. All of the above. And then some.

According to the trailer "If you love Barbie this movie is for you and if you hate Barbie this movie is for you" I'm stupid excited.

1 hour ago, PRgal said:

I had a Barbie pool!!

It looked like this:

I had that one! I was only allowed to play with it outside because my Barbies had rowdy pool parties. 

• Like 2
  • Wink 3
  • LOL 3
12 hours ago, oliviabenson said:

I really didn’t like dolls much. I preferred toys made for boys! I loved toy cars, tanks, soldiers etc!

I loved playing with my brothers Matchbox cars.  Until he decided he wanted to attempt to make them transformer cars using a hammer.

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Sad 2
  • LOL 3

My Barbies dated my brother's G.I. Joe and, inexplicably, He-Man. I did have a Ken (he had black hair painted on his head and piercing blue eyes), but my Barbies preferred to date outsiders. I did not have a Dream House, but I did have a Barbie remote controlled Corvette. It was connected to the controller with a long wire so you had to walk along behind it. I think my favorite Barbie was Peaches and Cream.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, oliviabenson said:

86% humidity according to my phone. It feels like I’m swimming in soup. Blech. 2 shower day kinda day.

Wow. That's in NYC? It was 71% humidity in the metro DC area on Sunday & I felt like I was wading through a warm lake, just walking in the parking lot to my car. I need to go to Walmart but with the bad air + heat + humidity? Think I'll stay indoors. I wanna move to New Hampshire 🥵.

• Like 4
6 hours ago, oliviabenson said:

86% humidity according to my phone. It feels like I’m swimming in soup. Blech. 2 shower day kinda day.

My kids follow some weather guy who doesn't even live in the US. His thing is weather in our area, and specifically he tells the kids the odd of snow days when we have snow predicted here in the NYC area. 

My son informed me that the guy said that our humidity levels are around the same as the Amazon rain forest.  It's gross.

20 hours ago, Laura Holt said:

Also: Sara McLaughlin

I love her, but man, I don't think I could sit through an entire concert. There are only so many feelings I can deal with all in a row. 

• Like 1
  • Love 2
5 minutes ago, JTMacc99 said:

I love her, but man, I don't think I could sit through an entire concert. There are only so many feelings I can deal with all in a row. 

I never went to one of her solo concerts, but I attended at least one Lilith Fair show each year it was put on, so I have seen her live on stage.  And I have the Fumbling Towards Ecstasy live performance that was released on VHS -- it's a 1994 show in Montreal.  There are also some studio sessions included.

• Like 2
6 hours ago, emma675 said:

My Barbies dated my brother's G.I. Joe and, inexplicably, He-Man. I did have a Ken (he had black hair painted on his head and piercing blue eyes), but my Barbies preferred to date outsiders. I did not have a Dream House, but I did have a Barbie remote controlled Corvette. It was connected to the controller with a long wire so you had to walk along behind it. I think my favorite Barbie was Peaches and Cream.

He-Man, eh…you mean he was her side dude.  Lol 

1 hour ago, JTMacc99 said:

My kids follow some weather guy who doesn't even live in the US. His thing is weather in our area, and specifically he tells the kids the odd of snow days when we have snow predicted here in the NYC area. 

My son informed me that the guy said that our humidity levels are around the same as the Amazon rain forest.  It's gross.

A weather guy in Canada?  A girl I went to high school with is now a weather person on the Weather Network.  I follow her on IG.  Sarah McLachlan is a favourite of mine as well.  I went to two Lilith concerts back in the 90s

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, JTMacc99 said:

No, he's in New Zealand or something like that.

We're in Canada but my husband's go to weather forecast source is the Met Office out of England. He maintains it's more reliable than any of the Cdn sources.

• Useful 2
9 hours ago, oliviabenson said:

I understand. Here in Houston ( and probably other places) we call it ' the air that you wear'

• Like 4
21 hours ago, oliviabenson said:

I really didn’t like dolls much. I preferred toys made for boys! I loved toy cars, tanks, soldiers etc!

I liked books. I had a great collection of stuffed animals, but was entirely uninterested in dolls or any other toys as a child. Just give me a book, leave me alone = happiness. 😺

• Like 9

I was more into making things, drawing, and being outside as a kid. 

On 7/16/2023 at 9:31 PM, Cloud9Shopper said:

Random thought of the day and possibly unpopular opinion:

I don’t care one bit about the Barbie movie and all the hype coming with it. I saw some previews and it just looks stupid and too over the top, and Ryan Gosling doesn’t even look that hot as Ken. 

21 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

According to the trailer "If you love Barbie this movie is for you and if you hate Barbie this movie is for you" I'm stupid excited.

I don't have any positive memories of Barbie, but, wow, the review of the movie by the chief film critic of The NY Times really piqued my interest, and it wasn't an entirely glowing review (nytimes.com/2023/07/18/movies/barbie-movie-review.html). If it starts streaming for a price and my daughter pays for a few days access, I'll at least give it a try. 

However, the review is spoilery, including:

Spoiler

...when she begins having un-Barbie thoughts and experiences: She thinks of death, and then her feet, which are molded to fit high heels, go flat.

...Soon, Barbie — with Ken riding shotgun — journeys into something like reality; that they land in Los Angeles reads like a puckish joke. There, Barbie is astonished to discover sexism, and Ken is delighted to discover patriarchy, contrapuntal revelations that generate further comedy and something like enlightenment.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, kristen111 said:

Anyone seeing lots of ads on their screen lately?  I noticed this the last few days.  Mostly on the right and along the bottom.

Yes on the right and in the middle ,plus I’ve had trouble typing and scrolling and my posts go away before finishing and page disappears. Thought it has to be my iPad 

• Like 2
(edited)
10 hours ago, kristen111 said:

Anyone seeing lots of ads on their screen lately?  I noticed this the last few days.  Mostly on the right and along the bottom.

8 hours ago, athousandclowns said:

Yes on the right and in the middle ,plus I’ve had trouble typing and scrolling and my posts go away before finishing and page disappears. Thought it has to be my iPad 

I think the Mods want us to post about these issues on the “Ad Wonkiness” thread here: https://forums.primetimer.com/topic/140292-ad-wonkiness-technical-term/   
— so they have enough examples of a problem to troubleshoot it.

Edited by shapeshifter
"us" not "you"
  • Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 3
On 7/17/2023 at 10:23 AM, theredhead77 said:

I've always been able to reschedule through the airline app.

Thanks but all the poor souls standing in line with me (for over six hours) waiting to talk to customer service told me they got the runaround -IF they got anyone to answer their one call out of zillions that were being made to them due to the massive cancellations at the Newark airport Saturday night. Oh, and more than one had their phone run out of power while trying to get things resolved. 

IOW, great in theory but it seemed to rarely work during times of massive cancellations.

• Like 2
(edited)
12 hours ago, athousandclowns said:

Yes and yes.  Same just happened.  Typing, then it goes away.  The ads are driving me nuts.  Who to call .. ghostbusters? Lol.    It’s not the I pads.

Edited by kristen111
  • Like 1
  • Fire 2
(edited)

In the karma will get you dept.  I am at my front window watching my neighbor's car get towed away.  We have been having street work done and there are multiple signs on the street that no parking is allowed.  Buddy next door (he who partied all through the pandemic) does not believe rules apply to him.  He has just learned otherwise.  I admit it, I am smiling.

Edited by Laura Holt
  • Like 9
  • LOL 12
11 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I think the Mods want us to post about these issues on the “Ad Wonkiness” thread here: https://forums.primetimer.com/topic/140292-ad-wonkiness-technical-term/   
— so they have enough examples of a problem to troubleshoot it.

The mods are saying "it is what it is." Sounds like they're done with any modifications (not like any were done). 

I suggest an ad blocker. They're free. 

• Like 4
  • Fire 1
24 minutes ago, Salacious Kitty said:

The mods are saying "it is what it is." Sounds like they're done with any modifications (not like any were done). 

I suggest an ad blocker. They're free. 

Yep. I have Ad Blocker Plus. 

• Like 6
Just now, peacheslatour said:

Best thing my son ever did for me was put that on my laptop.  It's always a shock when I use my Amazon Fire to see ads.  It's the way my granddaughter acts when she's over and watches our cable TV.  "What are those, Nana?" whenever a commercial comes on!

• Like 2
  • LOL 2
9 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Yes. 

11 minutes ago, Laura Holt said:

It's always a shock when I use my Amazon Fire to see ads.

Even more shocking:
I have a subscription to The NY Times from my former employer, so I downloaded the app on my phone, thinking it would be better than using the browser — or so I was told at the ends of articles. 
So, alone in bed in the dark, I started reading about the serial killer on Long Island, and after about 2 paragraphs, I scrolled down, and there's an ad filling the screen for f'in' lock pickers!
I immediately closed the app. 
I didn't finish reading the article and decided to stick to reading NYT articles in Safari with my ad blocker. 

• Like 2
  • Mind Blown 3

I'm a little unclear on the rules around here, so perhaps someone can enlighten me. I don't know how to get in touch directly with the particular mod for a specific thread. I was on another subject within this topic and replied to a post I disagreed with, not saying the original poster was not entitled to their opinion, but basically indicating a different opinion. My post was almost immediately taken down. Other posts that agreed with the original post remain. So we can't disagree here, or is there some sort of unwritten "correct opinion" code that I am missing?

• Like 3
  • Useful 2

I just burned a pot of potatoes (I found them just before the smoke alarm did!) and now the house just stinks.  The reason this is not in pet peeves is because when my husband called to tell me he was on his way home I told him about the culinary disaster and he is bringing home take out.  Rewarding me for almost letting the house burn down (ok slight exaggeration) is probably not wise on his part but I'm good with it 😄.

• Like 5
  • LOL 5
1 hour ago, isalicat said:

I'm a little unclear on the rules around here, so perhaps someone can enlighten me. I don't know how to get in touch directly with the particular mod for a specific thread. I was on another subject within this topic and replied to a post I disagreed with, not saying the original poster was not entitled to their opinion, but basically indicating a different opinion. My post was almost immediately taken down. Other posts that agreed with the original post remain. So we can't disagree here, or is there some sort of unwritten "correct opinion" code that I am missing?

If it’s the thread I’m thinking of, there’s now a moderator note there, so that would be who you could pm for clarification. If that’s not it, often the very first post is from the moderator so you could try pm’ing them. Hope you can get it sorted out - sometimes it is hard to understand “the line”. 

• Like 3
13 minutes ago, oliviabenson said:

Never had a dishwasher!

On a side note the few KFC’s near me all closed! I prefer them to Popeyes. 

I’ve had both. However the Popeye’s served out of the New Orleans metro area IMO isn’t seasoned as well. They seem to be shy on adding the spice which is part of what makes Popeyes so good. 

• Like 1
On 7/16/2023 at 6:31 PM, Cloud9Shopper said:

Random thought of the day and possibly unpopular opinion:

I don’t care one bit about the Barbie movie and all the hype coming with it. I saw some previews and it just looks stupid and too over the top, and Ryan Gosling doesn’t even look that hot as Ken. 

No offense to anyone who does want to see it. But it’s one of those things that’s too “in your face” for my taste especially when even the ice cream places are doing the Barbie themed sundae, milkshake or ice cream flavor.

Yesterday I unsuspectingly wore pink (actually I think of them as salmon) trousers.  Someone asked me if I was wearing them because of the Barbie movie.  I wanted to rip them off there and then.

On 7/17/2023 at 12:14 PM, RealHousewife said:

I want to see it because I loved Barbie as a child, and it looks cute. However, I am surprised by all the hype. I didn't think the average person would care much. I've hear some complaints about Ken not doing much in the movie and not setting a good example for boys/men. I didn't think a Barbie movie would be taken so seriously. 

This is utterly mind-blowing to me.  Neanderthals.

• Like 2
  • LOL 3

"I Left My Heart In San Francisco" is playing right now ❤️. RIP, Tony Bennett. There's quite an article about him in the Washington Post. Frank Sinatra called him the greatest. And he revived his career despite the influx of rock (& the British *musical* invasion 😊). Such a musical talent. He even got the younger generations to love music from the 40's and 50's. IMO? That's sayin' something!

• Like 5
  • Love 6

The doorbell rang yesterday afternoon. MrP914 answered. It was UPS, delivering a package & he said the address was wrong but he recognized our name as he's delivered a lot of packages here (heh heh 😊). I asked, "Was he a young guy with blonde hair?" Yeah. Such a cutie. I met him the night everyone was watching the line-up of the moon, Jupiter & some other planet. I hope these hard working delivery folks won't be hurt by the strike.

• Like 8
  • Love 2
41 minutes ago, oliviabenson said:

I’m hoping my friend cancels on me tomorrow. I really don’t want to go to the city whatsoever. 

So you don't want to cancel first? If you don't want to go, say so but make it your issue, as in something happened and you can't go. If you're like me though, you want to cancel, go anyway, and end up enjoying yourself.

• Like 3
On 4/6/2023 at 9:26 PM, peacheslatour said:

I'm in the same boat. I have my Haviland and my mother's sterling. I never use either one any more. Cloth napkins and tablecloths are a thing of the past too.

Save the sterling in a safe place.  You can always sell silver.  We sold my mother's when silver was fetching a good price.  It's money in the bank.

• Like 3
On 7/17/2023 at 8:29 PM, theredhead77 said:
On 7/17/2023 at 3:26 PM, Bastet said:

According to an article posted in the film's thread:

If you are wondering whether Barbie is a satire of a toy company’s capitalist ambitions, a searing indictment of the current fraught state of gender relations, a heartwarming if occasionally clichéd tribute to girl power, or a musical spectacle filled with earworms from Nicki Minaj and Dua Lipa, the answer is yes. All of the above. And then some.

Expand  

I was not disappointed. Loved everything about it.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 7/18/2023 at 10:11 AM, emma675 said:

My youngest daughter had all the Barbie stuff, plus I bought her the Disney Princess dolls also.  She was going to make one room for all her dolls.  What does she have?  TWO BOYS, and she is finished.  All her dolls are packed away in her garage.  I’m hoping that someday, she will have Grandaughters.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1
  • LOL 3
(edited)
1 hour ago, kristen111 said:

My youngest daughter had all the Barbie stuff, plus I bought her the Disney Princess dolls also.  She was going to make one room for all her dolls.  What does she have?  TWO BOYS, and she is finished.  All her dolls are packed away in her garage.  I’m hoping that someday, she will have Grandaughters.

My friend's son inherited all her Cabbage Patch Kids.  He kind of abuses them, but he DOES play with them.  He doesn't want her Barbies though.

Edited by PRgal
  • Like 3

So I decided I am no longer going to speak to the bride who didn’t invite me to her wedding. I basically turned another friend loose for a similar reason last year and barely say anything to her anymore. I realized that if this woman invited most (or all) of the choir but me then she clearly doesn’t value me and forget her. I won’t even get her and her husband a card from Walmart.

I think I would have felt more generous even several years ago. Back when I was at a different church, a woman I knew was having a baby and I was hurt at not being invited to her celebration for the new baby (although it was her third pregnancy so it was just a gathering with friends and not really a full-on baby shower). But since she and her husband had still been so nice to me I recall going to get them a baby gift anyway because I did appreciate them and I wanted to help them celebrate the baby. I guess I am feeling less kind and generous these days, or maybe it’s a reminder to only spend my time and money on the people who matter. 

I just got home from my mom’s too and she had gotten me a bottle of wine during her last trip to the Finger Lakes. Naturally there was a hole in the bag with the wine and it just smashed on my porch. I’m sitting here kind of crying because it feels like an appropriate metaphor of my life sometimes. Working a crappy job, not having friends who care enough about me to invite me to their weddings, not having enough money to cover all the bills that are due before my next paycheck…life just sucks sometimes. 

• Hugs 13
49 minutes ago, Cloud9Shopper said:

maybe it’s a reminder to only spend my time and money on the people who matter. 

I agree this is the part to focus on. People who matter are the ones who don't make you cry.

🤞 that you find a wonderful job soon!

• Like 6

I didn’t know how I felt about wanting to see the Barbie movie or not, but I read that Ryan Gosling sings my favorite 90’s song so now I think I have to see it at some point.  

• Like 2
6 hours ago, PRgal said:

My friend's son inherited all her Cabbage Patch Kids.  He kind of abuses them, but he DOES play with them.  He doesn't want her Barbies though.

Oh, we had them too.  Once my husband went to Kennedy Airport as a load of Cabbages were coming off the plane.    A Preemi.

6 hours ago, PRgal said:

My I pad is going NUTS.  Jumping all around.

• Mind Blown 1
8 hours ago, kristen111 said:

If she does, they might not be into dolls.  Or she might have a grandson or more who is.  (Kids aren't rigidly constrained by sexist gender roles until we do it to them. ) If it turns out no one is interested, she can always chose to donate the toys to an organization that will distribute them according to interest and need.  So the collection can still wind up in interested hands, even if outside the family.

• Like 5
  • Applause 3