Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E01: Friends, Romans, Countrymen

• Start Topic

9 hours ago, JenE4 said:

I don’t think Shauna ate Jackie’s ear because she was hungry, but for the same reason she carried it around in her pocket—to keep Jackie as a part of her. Shauna had a full-on psychotic break talking to her best friend’s corpse for two months.

The showrunners intended for it to be both!

Lisco: Of course, she’s hungry and she’s pregnant, so she eats the ear that accidentally broke off when she pushed Jackie down — but it’s really about their friendship. It’s about this very specific friendship that Jackie and Shauna had, where Shauna loves Jackie, but also was always in her shadow. She adored this friend of hers, but also in some ways, was always wanting to kind of destroy her — maybe that’s going a bridge too far? But I think that is very relatable to a lot of people who are in these intense friendships.

And so the next step of that is consumption, right? I literally want to consume this person, because I love them so much — but I also want them no longer to exist in a way. I also want to keep them a part of me for my entire existence. We were playing with that kind of plasticity on a psychological and emotional level, and not just have it be about, “Oh, I’m gonna eat the ear!” 

It also seems like things are going to get weirder with that corpse -- there's a shot in the promo (30 seconds in) that looks like

Spoiler

Shauna putting lipstick on Jackie out in the meat shed.

I agree with the people who think Shauna killing the rabbit and feeding it to her family in season one was foreshadowing for her feeding parts of Jackie to the others without their knowledge this season.

• Like 8
  • Useful 4

That makes me think a little bit about the characterization of "Jackie" in the scenes with Shauna. That's not Jackie, and I don't mean in the literal sense. She's partly Jackie how Shauna wanted her to be - nice and upbeat, interested in Shauna's thoughts, no negging or self-centeredness. Like in a way it's a relief for Shauna that Jackie's dead so that now she can have this "perfect" version of her best friend instead. But because this is a manifestation of Shauna's subconscious, she's also the voice of Shauna's conscience. We had hints of that last season from the points she'd turn up in the present and what she'd say, but it was pretty explicit here. Shauna can't fully control her conscience talking back to her and so she's getting into physical fights with a frozen corpse, LOL. I'm not sure how the show's going to top that for bizarreness, but I have a feeling they will manage!

By the way, for those who weren't aware, Akilah was recast for this season, I think due to actress commitments. So the "new" black girl we're seeing isn't new the same way that Crystal is. We didn't see a lot of Akilah last season, but she wasn't a nonentity either - she was basically on the same level as Mari, not a main but had enough lines and bits of action to be known to us and give us a sense of her personality.

• Like 15
5 hours ago, BitterApple said:

I wonder if it's going to end up where the survivors are far from the original flight path but not as far from civilization as they thought. If the theory that the symbol represents some sort of underground tunnel structure is true, there has to be a road nearby. You'd need all kinds of equipment and materials to build something like that and Dead Cabin Guy couldn't have flown them in on his puddle jumper. 

There might be something to the “not as far from civilization as they thought.” Didn’t Tai find running water in the form of a stream or river last season? With running water, there has to be some form of civilization somewhere!

• Like 4

There might be something to the “not as far from civilization as they thought.” Didn’t Tai find running water in the form of a stream or river last season? With running water, there has to be some form of civilization somewhere!

My guess is no--something like 90% of the Canadian population lives within a hundred miles of the US border. If they were six hundred miles off their original course, which means they headed north, there's almost no chance they're near a significant population center. The best they can still hope for is another random cabin and in the dead of winter, even more likely to be uninhabited.

She's partly Jackie how Shauna wanted her to be - nice and upbeat, interested in Shauna's thoughts, no negging or self-centeredness. Like in a way it's a relief for Shauna that Jackie's dead so that now she can have this "perfect" version of her best friend instead. 

I read that scene differently. Jackie was exactly how we saw her onscreen, including the backhanded compliments and negging. I liked that Shauna chose to remember Jackie was she was--making fun of her mom having a million dollars, cutting through Shauna's bullshit about why she pursued Jeff--and I appreciate that she didn't see her as a villain, because she really wasn't. Jackie was selfish and self-centered and pathetically insecure, but she did love Shauna and was loyal in her own way. If the plane hadn't crashed, and Jackie hadn't died, their relationship probably wouldn't have survived high school, and if it did, in a very different form. I was the Shauna in a high school best friendship and we're still friends because we have been for thirty plus years, but it also took me two decades of setting boundaries and lowering expectations. I also think we'd both agree that we wouldn't choose each other if we met at this point in our lives but we have so much history that we'll always be connected in some way.

• Like 7
7 hours ago, Brn2bwild said:

I thought that was Shauna who pushed the reporter away.

Watching it again now, and it definitely seems to be Shauna. Her hair just looks reddish in the sun. And she seems to be pushing the person away with the same kind of PTSD reaction as she shows later with Adam.

• Useful 3
11 hours ago, Lila82 said:

I read that scene differently. Jackie was exactly how we saw her onscreen, including the backhanded compliments and negging. I liked that Shauna chose to remember Jackie was she was--making fun of her mom having a million dollars, cutting through Shauna's bullshit about why she pursued Jeff--and I appreciate that she didn't see her as a villain, because she really wasn't.

I think the way that "Jackie" acted during the initial part of the conversation about how Jeff and Shauna started, plus her blase reaction to the MASH game saying that Shauna would marry Jeff, indicated that it was an idealized version of Jackie at that point. Shauna was getting to talk about it all in the way she would have liked, but clearly IRL Jackie would not have been speaking that way, like a happy girl cheerfully gossiping with her BFF about her BFF's adventures. Later it switches to the other Jackie I spoke of, where she acts as Shauna's conscience. I agree IRL that Jackie did have a way of cutting through Shauna's BS too, which is why Shauna's subconscious has now cast Jackie in the role of her conscience.

The million-dollars thing wasn't an instance of negging. Shauna was the one who started being derogatory about her mother, like oh, she's gonna be just like her mother then. Jackie then pointed out her mother doesn't have a million dollars; in other words, the game has Shauna doing better than her mother.

I agree the real teen Jackie wasn't any sort of villain and I've always appreciated the show's nuanced writing of her. We know that Shauna genuinely loved her but also got annoyed at times with Jackie's flaws. Before the imaginary conversation switches to Jackie-as-conscience, Jackie's not saying or doing anything that's annoying Shauna. Shauna's just having a great time hanging out with her BFF...the frozen corpse. LOL (I wonder if any of the other girls have dared peek at any point. Misty, probably.)

• Like 6

Shauna has always been a bit passive aggressive and I think the manifestation of Jackie is a fun way to have Shauna’s subconscious as an actual character.   We have Shauna talking to the ideal version of her best friend and then it turns dark with Shauna’s overwhelming guilt hitting beck because of course it would.   We don’t really know of what “Dead Ass Jackie” said to Shauna about why she broke up with Jeff is true or not.  It could be just a reason for Shauna to hate herself. Because Shauna is really good at hating herself.    As for the ear….. consuming the flesh of another person is a sick and twisted way to keep them with you forever.  It would be a fun gag to have Jackie as Shauna’s conscious.   Now that everything is jumping the rails in the current timeline it would be fun if Shauna starts talking to her again.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Like 3
2 hours ago, Chaos Theory said:

We don’t really know of what “Dead Ass Jackie” said to Shauna about why she broke up with Jeff is true or not.  It could be just a reason for Shauna to hate herself.

I thought that was interesting when Shauna said, sorry, I didn't know, and Jackie said, but...you did, and Shauna didn't argue. I took that to mean Jackie never explicitly said what Jeff told her, and presumably Jeff didn't either, but teen Shauna was able to glean it anyways. What I find very strange is how Jackie and Jeff stayed mostly together all through high school without really having much respect for each other. I really liked the nuanced version of Jackie from the previous season and wonder how close Shauna will play it this season as she imagines her interactions with Jackie.

I thought the rest of the premier was quite dull, although I did enjoy Misty's exchange with the no tell motel manager, who should have been way more concerned with how Misty got his SSN. I also don't love the cult's appearance or adult Lottie. I am not sure I will keep watching, I wasn't even sure I wanted to start up S2. At this point, I am mildly curious what becomes of Shauna's pregnancy/baby and what happened to Javi, and that's it. I am not a fan of shows that suddenly invest a lot of time in new characters so they have people to kill off, which it appears they are starting to do.

• Like 4

Christina Ricci continues to be the best thing about this show. And count me among those worried about that poor dog Steve. It's actually quite surprising a dog pound would have such an adorable puppy like that. Most shelter dogs are big mixed breeds, mostly pit bulls mixes. Steve looks like a teddy bear come to life.

• Like 3
10 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

Christina Ricci continues to be the best thing about this show.

She gets the funniest lines.  Her delivery of "I have two days off work, an extremely large bladder, and the latest Nora Roberts book, so I'll just wait" was hilarious.

• Like 10
3 hours ago, Chaos Theory said:

Now that everything is jumping the rails in the current timeline it would be fun if Shauna starts talking to her again.

Seems like she already is. Jackie appeared to her at least twice in the present time last season. When Jackie talked in this ep about "why she was here" (because Shauna was hanging on to her--haunting 101) it reminded me of Shauna asking her "why are you here?" back in S1 the day of the brunch. She seems to know that Jackie shows up when Shauna's feeling guilty about something she's doing. It's like she still has that same love/hate relationship with her, but where living Jackie made her feel inadequate in other ways, dead Jackie makes her feel like a terrible person. But now she's starting to rebel against that, replaying her resentment from when she was a teenager.

Maybe. At least that's what it seemed like last night! 

50 minutes ago, Tatum said:

I thought that was interesting when Shauna said, sorry, I didn't know, and Jackie said, but...you did, and Shauna didn't argue. I took that to mean Jackie never explicitly said what Jeff told her, and presumably Jeff didn't either, but teen Shauna was able to glean it anyways. What I find very strange is how Jackie and Jeff stayed mostly together all through high school without really having much respect for each other. I really liked the nuanced version of Jackie from the previous season and wonder how close Shauna will play it this season as she imagines her interactions with Jackie.

Of course, in some ways it's circular logic. Shauna's the only real person in that room, so she could just be projecting what she, Shauna, *thought* was the problem with Jeff. It was a pretty good guess, at least.

50 minutes ago, Tatum said:

I am not a fan of shows that suddenly invest a lot of time in new characters so they have people to kill off, which it appears they are starting to do.

I didn't get the impression they were doing that. It seemed like every new person was there to illuminate the stories of the characters we already know--except the two who are just older versions of characters we already know.

• Like 5
2 hours ago, Tatum said:

I thought the rest of the premier was quite dull, although I did enjoy Misty's exchange with the no tell motel manager, who should have been way more concerned with how Misty got his SSN. I also don't love the cult's appearance or adult Lottie. I am not sure I will keep watching, I wasn't even sure I wanted to start up S2. At this point, I am mildly curious what becomes of Shauna's pregnancy/baby and what happened to Javi, and that's it. I am not a fan of shows that suddenly invest a lot of time in new characters so they have people to kill off, which it appears they are starting to do.

I doubt we’ll ever know what happened to Javi. 

A couple of little echoes I noticed in this ep that I liked--one that Nat tells Lottie she wants her to say "a lot less" and then we're told Lottie stopped talking completely after returning home. (Jackie, of course, also "predicts" Shauna's actual future life.)

And also, it's just a nice little moment when Misty is the one girl who smiles at the cameras surrounding them when they're being rescued (sort of like she was the one person who smiled at her picture in the montage at the reunion). But it also struck me that Misty's the one person who takes off her mask (and also smiles again) in the opening scene of the pilot. In the rescue scene we see other girls seeming to cover their faces as they walk by--one pulls up her hood, Shauna pushes the reporter away and ducks down. 

It seems like they're always emphasizing how Misty feels no shame whatsoever about what they've done and just genuinely enjoys it. It's just a nice little touch.

• Like 9
1 hour ago, Tatum said:

Really? What makes you say that?

Because he’s very likely dead. Maybe they will find his body, maybe not. Even if they do, they’ll never know exactly what happened. 

• Useful 1

I see what you did there with that episode title, show. I see what you did there. I always guessed that Jackie would be our first frozen dinner in the woods, but Shauna just snacking on her ear like a snickers bar was...wow. I almost forgot how creepy this show could get. 

I swear, if something happens to that dog...

• Like 5

For all the Tori Amos super fans who were disappointed she wasn't in last season and then super excited she is in this season... this isn't what we wanted.

I guess Shauna never was a cornflake girl. And while I watched it, I was all "this is not really happening". But, alas, you bet your life it is.

• Like 1
  • LOL 4
8 hours ago, AstridM said:

Because he’s very likely dead. Maybe they will find his body, maybe not. Even if they do, they’ll never know exactly what happened. 

A TV  character is never dead until we see the body. They've got several more seasons to fill and the characters are still talking about him; I suspect his story is not done.

• Like 6
39 minutes ago, Fake Jan Brady said:

A TV  character is never dead until we see the body. They've got several more seasons to fill and the characters are still talking about him; I suspect his story is not done.

I was answering someone who asked me MY opinion. 

• Like 1
On 3/24/2023 at 6:35 PM, Lila82 said:

The music choices were not only spot on, but all hail the editing team for lining up "this is getting kind of gross" from Cornflake Girl with the moment Shauna decides to eat the ear.

Also like how they lined up, "she knows what's going on" with Callie digging through the grill ashes and coming up with Adam's charred driver's license. I loved that song when it came out.

• Like 4
10 hours ago, Fake Jan Brady said:

Several more seasons? Do we have any confirmation on that? Really, this isn't the type of story I want to see dragged out for multiple season. I was moderately annoyed they stretched it past one. They were only out there in the wilderness for like nine months or something. They can't do flashbacks to that forever. Well, they shouldn't, anyway. They're already two months in.

• Like 2
39 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

Several more seasons? Do we have any confirmation on that? Really, this isn't the type of story I want to see dragged out for multiple season. I was moderately annoyed they stretched it past one. They were only out there in the wilderness for like nine months or something. They can't do flashbacks to that forever. Well, they shouldn't, anyway. They're already two months in.

Yeah, they said they had a 5 year plan. I mean, no guarantees they'll keep getting renewed, but I do think they intend to tell the story slowly. And probably have written season 2 with the assumption they will have subsequent seasons to tell the whole story.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

They planned it for 5 seasons. The girls were in the wilderness for 19 months. That's a long time.

• Like 3
3 hours ago, iMonrey said:

They were in the woods for nineteen months. The plane crashed in May, and most high schools have their homecomings in early October. S2 picked up two months after Doomcoming, so the survivors have been out there eight months, give or take a few weeks. 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, BitterApple said:

They were in the woods for nineteen months. The plane crashed in May, and most high schools have their homecomings in early October. S2 picked up two months after Doomcoming, so the survivors have been out there eight months, give or take a few weeks. 

I think they can easily stretch the remaining 11 months for 4 more seasons. That's 2-3 months per season, which is about a week per episode (not accounting for any time jumps). They went fast with the first few months because they were showing the initial stages of survival, which is kind of boring, and then them starting to spiral into desperation. Once they turn into a cannibalistic cult trying to kill each other I expect we'll go a lot slower.  That is much more interesting the to show.

• Like 3
On 3/27/2023 at 8:52 AM, iMonrey said:

t's actually quite surprising a dog pound would have such an adorable puppy like that. Most shelter dogs are big mixed breeds, mostly pit bulls mixes. Steve looks like a teddy bear come to life.

But it does happen, it's happened to me twice!  Back in the early 2000's I had been checking the shelter regularly for a smallish dog and happened to show up when a 4-y-o Cavalier King Charles Spaniel had been turned in by a breeder.  She no longer wanted him because he was large for a Cav so his puppies were larger than people now wanted.  But he was the perfect size for us!  After we lost him, I looked for months at shelter and Humane Society websites until I saw an adorable 8-month-old 16# doodle. I saw the posting one evening and was there when they opened at noon the next day. He is dozing on the couch with me as I type.

• Like 3
  • Hugs 4
  • Love 6
12 minutes ago, KaveDweller said:

I think they can easily stretch the remaining 11 months for 4 more seasons. That's 2-3 months per season, which is about a week per episode (not accounting for any time jumps).

But the teenaged girls will be at least 5 years older IRL, and I think it will be challenging to keep them looking like 17-year-olds. We watched Your Honor and it was so irritating that the actress playing the naive, sheltered 17-y-o was in her late 20's and looked it.

Speaking of casting, When I see adult Shauna from a certain angle or with a certain expression, she looks just like the younger actress.  Both Misty's look quite alike and both Tai's look very similar.  But I don't see any resemblance between cute young Nat and constantly resting-bitchface adult Natalie. The first season I was confused for a few eps because I thought they were two different characters. I do not like that casting choice.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 2
1 minute ago, MBayGal said:

But the teenaged girls will be at least 5 years older IRL, and I think it will be challenging to keep them looking like 17-year-olds. We watched Your Honor and it was so irritating that the actress playing the naive, sheltered 17-y-o was in her late 20's and looked it.

Since they'd have good reason for the already adult actors to look older given the life the characters are living, they probably wouldn't consider that a reason for not gonig with their 5 year plan. 

• Like 2

Plus, I assumed that the show wants to spend a season or two taking place entirely post-crash, alternating between 1998 and 2021/202whenever.

Edited by jsm1125
  • Like 2
  • Useful 2
1 hour ago, MBayGal said:

Most of the teen actresses are already in their 20s, so it's not like they are kids who will keep growing. With good make up, they can probably hide any signs of aging.

Most shows have adults playing teens anyway though. It isn't something Hollywood seems to care about.

• Like 4
57 minutes ago, jsm1125 said:

Plus, I assumed that the show wants to spend a season or two taking place entirely post-crash, alternating between 1998 and 2021/202whenevef.

I hope not. That seems like it would be a really boring way to end the show, leaving the intense horror of the woods to follow girls returning to the lives we already know they returned to (with difficult due to the stuff we already know about) for a whole season, much less two. Going by this ep it looks like they'll just drop in things from the 1998 timeline whenever they're relevent.

Edited by sistermagpie
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1
2 hours ago, MBayGal said:

But the teenaged girls will be at least 5 years older IRL, and I think it will be challenging to keep them looking like 17-year-olds. 

I'm not sure if you watch Young Sheldon, but that's plaguing the show now. The kid actors are aging faster than the timeline and it's becoming distracting. With regards to Yellowjackets, it may not be as big of an issue. The plane crashes right before graduation so most of the girls would be 18, or close to it. Almost two years in the woods would put them close to 20 by the time they get rescued. It's not too much of a stretch for a 25/26 year-old actress. 

52 minutes ago, sistermagpie said:

I hope not. That seems like it would be a really boring way to end the show, leaving the intense horror of the woods to follow girls returning to the lives we already know they returned to (with difficult due to the stuff we already know about) for a whole season, much less two. Going by this ep it looks like they'll just drop in things from the 1998 timeline whenever they're relevent.

I agree. I think we'll get snippets of post-rescue but not a third timeline. I think it would get too confusing especially if they had to introduce new characters in the form of the girls' relatives. 

• Like 3
53 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

I'd personally like to see some post-rescue stuff. Maybe not a whole season, but a significant amount.

For sure. I mean, they will have to at least get into Shauna's decision not to attend Brown, and marrying Jeff. I think we can probably guess at how she ended up at both decisions based solely on her time in the wilderness, but they still would have to show some kind of interaction.

Has it been confirmed that adult Jeff is aware of Shauna's first pregnancy? He did read her diaries, correct?

• Like 5
On 3/25/2023 at 4:00 PM, Penman61 said:

Just in case showrunners/writers skim here:

If you kill another dog, I'm out.

Kill, cook, braise, sauté, poach, and blanch teenagers, flay them and fricassee them, tear, chew, and chomp on them, lick your fucking fingers, whatever.

But if you harm another dog on this show, I'm the fuck outta here. 

And I'm serious.

This amuses me. Like, you can’t actually be serious. If all the horror on the humans don’t bother you because it’s not real, well then that translates to the dog too.

On 3/25/2023 at 6:34 PM, Black Knight said:

Shauna knows, on account of eating Jackie's ear, that meat can be thawed and consumed.

I think the concept of frozen meat being thawed and consumed is pretty common knowledge. And isn’t that what they were doing with the bear they killed? Besides, that dead fox was inedible. Most of the flesh had decomposed so what was left would have gone bad.

On 3/26/2023 at 6:11 PM, jsm1125 said:

Not necessarily. Streams aren’t manmade; the wilderness is full of them.

I wondered if Lottie’s cult is located in the same area that they crashed.

• Like 4
  • Applause 2
4 hours ago, Tatum said:

Has it been confirmed that adult Jeff is aware of Shauna's first pregnancy? He did read her diaries, correct?

He did read the diaries, so I think he must know.

5 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

I'd personally like to see some post-rescue stuff. Maybe not a whole season, but a significant amount.

I liked that the show jumped to it in this ep, showing us that they'll bring it in when it's relevent. 

One of the main things I was thinking about this time is that it looked like the weather was pretty warm!

• Like 3
Just now, sistermagpie said:

One of the main things I was thinking about this time is that it looked like the weather was pretty warm!

The rescue? Now that I think about it, they were stranded for 20 months right? That would have put their rescue around Jan 1998. Strange.

• Useful 2
1 minute ago, Tatum said:

The rescue? Now that I think about it, they were stranded for 20 months right? That would have put their rescue around Jan 1998. Strange.

Yup, that's what confused me. They were just wearing those hoodies and it didn't look like the reporters were wearing heavy clothing either!

• Useful 1
7 hours ago, sistermagpie said:

Yup, that's what confused me. They were just wearing those hoodies and it didn't look like the reporters were wearing heavy clothing either!

I think they went to Seattle, right?  Not sure why they would go there as opposed to Michigan or Wisconsin (or New Jersey), but I don't know if Seattle would be all that cold in January - just wet.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
10 hours ago, Shermie said:

This amuses me. Like, you can’t actually be serious. If all the horror on the humans don’t bother you because it’s not real, well then that translates to the dog too.

Wrong. Humans, collectively, have it coming. Dogs, collectively, don’t.

• Like 9
  • Mind Blown 2
  • Fire 1
20 hours ago, Penman61 said:

Even children? And these teenage soccer players, even with all of their issues, are still children. 

• Applause 2
  • Love 3
23 hours ago, Penman61 said:
On 3/29/2023 at 1:41 PM, Shermie said:

Harsh. 

And I don’t agree that all humans deserve violence whereas animals are collectively innocent. Animals kill for sport too. Have you seen a cat with a mouse? Completely unnecessary cruelty. And I like cats. 

These are just young people trying to survive in terrible conditions. People are going to react wildly different in the same circumstance. Some will do horrible things that make us not like them.

• Like 2
  • Applause 5
On 3/29/2023 at 10:41 AM, Shermie said:

Not necessarily. Streams aren’t manmade; the wilderness is full of them.

I was thinking along the lines of, streams flow to creeks, which flow to rivers, which flow to civilization, eventually.  That said, it's quite possibly a long and dangerous hike to get there.

• Like 2
  • Useful 2
On 3/31/2023 at 1:31 AM, Dowel Jones said:

I was thinking along the lines of, streams flow to creeks, which flow to rivers, which flow to civilization, eventually.  That said, it's quite possibly a long and dangerous hike to get there.

Civilization is usually by a river or lake, but not all rivers and lakes have settlers.  So many rivers and lakes in Canada with no one around.

• Like 2
51 minutes ago, heatherchandler said:

Civilization is usually by a river or lake, but not all rivers and lakes have settlers.  So many rivers and lakes in Canada with no one around.

And we were told in this episode that the crash site was over 600 miles north of expectations. And we know they were flying to Seattle, so we have a good idea of the original flight path. So, that puts the Yellowjackets about two-thirds of the way up one of the Canadian provinces in between NJ and Seattle, most likely Alberta. Canada gets less and less populated the further north one goes, and at that point on the map they're much closer to the border of the desolated Northern Territories than they are to the American border.

• Like 4
  • Useful 1