Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E07: Proof Is in the Pudding

• Start Topic

I have not watched "this little gem" of a show since the beginning so please forgive my ignorance. Why does Amy go to Dr. Proctor and Chris and Tammy go to Dr. Smith?

I am curious at what Amy's weight is as I don't think she's tried to get in shape at all.

• Like 2

I don't understand why Dr. Proctor didn't wave bye-bye to Amy either.   She doesn't listen to him about anything.    

I wish Amy would stop claiming she's trying to lose more and get healthier, because she isn't.      Having that huge meal the night before her c-section showed me everything I need to know about her attitude towards her health.   Amy is just lazy, she is home all day, doesn't even try to clean the house, and I bet doesn't do much when she doesn't have to either.    

I can't believe Tammy is getting surgery at the high weight she still has, and the health issues.   The risk of complications for her is so high.    

(For the answer about Chris and Tammy and Dr. Smith, I'll put it on the Slatons in the Media thread).

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 6
  • Applause 1
22 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I wish Amy would stop claiming she's trying to lose more and get healthier, because she isn't.      Having that huge meal the night before her c-section showed me everything I need to know about her attitude towards her health.   Amy is just lazy, she is home all day, doesn't even try to clean the house, and I bet doesn't do much when she doesn't have to either.    

And why would anyone want to watch her videos?  Who wants to sit there and listen to a whining, shitting toddler?

• Like 7
  • LOL 3

Did ya'll notice Amy had to brag about how she was in a baby doll clothes coming home from the hospital as a baby while Tammy was always big and the mom said Tammy was in a 6 month's old clothes.

I don't dislike Amy but have been noticing she thinks she's better then Tammy and always looking for ways to put her down.

• Like 13
27 minutes ago, LEILANI2 said:

Did ya'll notice Amy had to brag about how she was in a baby doll clothes coming home from the hospital as a baby while Tammy was always big and the mom said Tammy was in a 6 month's old clothes.

I don't dislike Amy but have been noticing she thinks she's better then Tammy and always looking for ways to put her down.

I noticed that too. What does the size of their baby clothes have to do with anything NOW?

I can tell they are all concerned for Tammy- makes sense. She’s had so many health scares, she’s far bigger than anyone else was when they had their surgery. There’s a real increased risks of complications. Misty telling her change is a good thing was the right thing to say. 

• Like 7

I wonder what the figure would be if all the government assistance this family has gotten with regard to medical care, housing, disability benefits and everything else they received growing up with that mother of theirs. It’s in the millions 

Why was Amy holding the baby so weird while feeding him? Plus she never supports his head. 

and the complaining about 2 children is over done - lots of people have young kids. 

• Like 11
1 hour ago, Scarlett45 said:

I noticed that too. What does the size of their baby clothes have to do with anything NOW?

I can tell they are all concerned for Tammy- makes sense. She’s had so many health scares, she’s far bigger than anyone else was when they had their surgery. There’s a real increased risks of complications. Misty telling her change is a good thing was the right thing to say. 

I mean really. My brother was so big the hospital didn’t have onesies to fit him and today he’s very tall and thin. 

The care and concern from the family seemed very sincere. I really hope Tammy succeeds. 

I really like that she’s talking about celebrating without food and alcohol, and I also really like that she’s using fidget tools and holding a stuffed cat in her confessionals. Those things may seem juvenile but they’re actually very supportive. That shows growth. She’s using tools and they seem to be working for her. I hope she keeps it up.

• Like 15
1 hour ago, Bluesky said:

I wonder what the figure would be if all the government assistance this family has gotten with regard to medical care, housing, disability benefits and everything else they received growing up with that mother of theirs. It’s in the millions 

Amy said their mom worked all the time which is why the grandmother took care of them.  I don't think you can get government assistance if you work.  

• Like 3
3 hours ago, LEILANI2 said:

said Tammy was in a 6 month's old clothes.

How many pounds would that baby be?  I think she was exaggerating.  BTW when is Darlene going to lose some weight?  She was spilling out of that rascal.

Okay I googled it, the average 6-month-old girl is 16.2 pounds so I doubt Tammy was that big at birth.

• Like 1
  • LOL 4

When they showed the family right before Tammy went into surgery, & Tammy talked about how it was all about her & she was the queen, all I could think was “what happens if she loses lots of weight & she isn’t the focus of the family anymore?” Has she been resistant to losing weight all this time because it made her the center of the family?

I could have done without the bird’s eye view of Tammy’s innards. Or hearing about dumping syndrome.

Amy ate a honeybun right after surgery????? She has absolutely no self-control, it’s ridiculous. I can see Tammy succeeding & ending up weighing less than Amy. I bet Amy will end up trying to sabotage Tammy somehow.

• Like 7
  • Applause 3

I never believed that Tammy would ever get the surgery, but perhaps that last near death episode impacted her more than we know.  It was heartwarming to see her succeed and agree she sure seems to be committed to following the rules.  

• Like 9

Don't you wonder if Michael really had Covid or if he just wanted 10 days away from her and the two kids to play games? Because, it seems that everybody takes care of those kids except him.  As you guys pointed out, Amy's sister handed the baby to Chris . while Michael sat there and stuffed his face.  

• Like 7
(edited)

I wish Tammy well and hope the family will be of real support to her moving forward. When you see the scenes of the entire family, you can see how obesity is such a huge issue for them.  They all seem hardwired with this issue. Even with surgery, it hasn’t helped a couple of them too much.  I hope Michael can make it, too.  But, how do they change their philosophy about food?  I recall when they had the family cook out and the one sister who has gained weight back since her surgery, not Amy, was drinking a full sugar soda. She pointed it out.    It boggles the mind for people in that situation to drink empty calories like that.  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Like 8

Wow, Tammy really does have nine lives - I never would have bet that she would do so well during surgery.   Now the hard part begins but she has a supportive family - a few of which have been through it - and that's not nothing.   A lifelong addiction, plus what sounds like terrible genes, is going to be a lot of work.  

• Like 9
13 hours ago, swankie said:

Amy said their mom worked all the time which is why the grandmother took care of them.  I don't think you can get government assistance if you work.  

You can if you’re low income which is fine, she had a lot of mouths to feed.   It’s the medical.  It’s got to be in the millions in medical bills for the sole reason of eating so much that you literally can’t move.   Some probably have private insurance but it doesn’t take much for those hospital stays and operations to get into the 7 or 8 figures.  

• Like 2

I guess Tammy’s family is supportive in some ways, but based on what I’ve seen, they don’t really comprehend how their eating is a problem.  They pay dieting lip service, but their real lifestyle is eating large quantities of highly caloric foods.  There seems to be a disconnect.  Hopefully, things will really change.  

• Like 5
On 2/28/2023 at 11:20 AM, Kid said:

And why would anyone want to watch her videos?  Who wants to sit there and listen to a whining, shitting toddler?

WHICH toddler are you referring to?? I think I can count THREE!!

• Like 2
  • LOL 7

My lord that family is full of obese people! 
I do think that Tammy truly loves all of her nieces and nephews based on her actions and talking heads. She definitely loves babies!

• Like 4
5 hours ago, Teriacky said:

My lord that family is full of obese people! 
I do think that Tammy truly loves all of her nieces and nephews based on her actions and talking heads. She definitely loves babies!

I suppose, but she doesn’t hesitate to throw tantrums and curse in the children’s presence.  She doesn’t seem to be able to control it when she gets angry.  

• Like 5
  • Sad 2

I was certain Tammy would never get surgery. I have to give her some credit for that.

Amy is not taking her health seriously, it's true. She ought to be under 200 by now. At the same time, if it turns out that the long-term result of surgery is that she stays at 275 instead of 406, that is still a much healthier weight that is likely to translate into additional years of life.

• Like 8
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, IvySpice said:

I was certain Tammy would never get surgery. I have to give her some credit for that.

Amy is not taking her health seriously, it's true. She ought to be under 200 by now. At the same time, if it turns out that the long-term result of surgery is that she stays at 275 instead of 406, that is still a much healthier weight that is likely to translate into additional years of life.

I was surprised throughout two pregnancies in two years and throwing any eating program out the window  Amy only gained 6 lbs!  I thought that was pretty good.  

• Like 8
18 hours ago, Cosmocrush said:

I was surprised throughout two pregnancies in two years and throwing any eating program out the window  Amy only gained 6 lbs!  I thought that was pretty good.  

It does sound unbelievable.

• Like 1
On 3/1/2023 at 12:38 AM, MrBuhBye said:

How many pounds would that baby be?  I think she was exaggerating.  BTW when is Darlene going to lose some weight?  She was spilling out of that rascal.

Okay I googled it, the average 6-month-old girl is 16.2 pounds so I doubt Tammy was that big at birth.

I know several people (of average adult weight) that were >10 lbs at birth for no particular reason at all, and I believe diabetic mothers typically have heavier babies. I don't know if their mom had diabetes, but I think several of the siblings do, so it's not out of the question.  I can easily believe 12 or 13 lbs that became 16 over the years of telling the story.

• Like 3

I was re watching some of these episode in anticipation of tonight's finale and I noticed on the tele appointment with Dr. Proctor Amy asks if they need to redo her surgery since she is at 281. !!? NO! You need to get off your arse and exercise! Actually, I am shocked that she didn't gain more weight with two back to back pregnancies. However, she is still VERY overweight. I looked up her BMI and at 5'4" and 281 her BMI is 48. Over 30 is overweight. Over 35 is morbidly obese.

• Like 3

I think Amy's scale is the older type my parents had, you could turn it to zero, or less, so your weight would be much less, and I'm wondering if Amy's scale is adjustible the same way?   So her weight might be very different on a medical scale.  That could explain how someone who had back to back pregnancies, and didn't restrict her eating could have only a few pounds of gain.      I wonder what the result would be if Amy weighed on a certified scale?  

• Like 1
On 3/21/2023 at 2:32 PM, applewood said:

I was re watching some of these episode in anticipation of tonight's finale and I noticed on the tele appointment with Dr. Proctor Amy asks if they need to redo her surgery since she is at 281. !!? NO! You need to get off your arse and exercise! Actually, I am shocked that she didn't gain more weight with two back to back pregnancies. However, she is still VERY overweight. I looked up her BMI and at 5'4" and 281 her BMI is 48. Over 30 is overweight. Over 35 is morbidly obese.

I believe a BMI of >25 is overweight, >30 is obese, >40 is morbidly obese (or Class III/severe obesity), according to the CDC.

On 3/21/2023 at 3:18 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

I think Amy's scale is the older type my parents had, you could turn it to zero, or less, so your weight would be much less, and I'm wondering if Amy's scale is adjustible the same way?   So her weight might be very different on a medical scale.  That could explain how someone who had back to back pregnancies, and didn't restrict her eating could have only a few pounds of gain.      I wonder what the result would be if Amy weighed on a certified scale?  

It is not uncommon for obese women to not gain that much weight during pregnancy (or maintain). Given the fact that Amy had gastric surgery, she wasnt able to consume that many calories during her pregnancy, the fetus took what it needed so I was not surprised she was only a few pounds up from her weight at Gage's conception. I dont think Amy is interested in losing any more weight. She wanted to be able to conceive and have increased mobility (which she does, her quality of life at 280 is far better than at 400)- she has done that, but as her sisters have shown her, all the weight can come back if you dont keep ahold of your calories. 

• Like 3
On 3/1/2023 at 7:10 PM, SunnyBeBe said:

I guess Tammy’s family is supportive in some ways, but based on what I’ve seen, they don’t really comprehend how their eating is a problem.  They pay dieting lip service, but their real lifestyle is eating large quantities of highly caloric foods.  There seems to be a disconnect.  Hopefully, things will really change.  

YES YES YES

This family's idea of being supportive is nagging and antagonizing the person who is supposed to be trying to lose weight.  Tammy has asked them over and over to leave her alone but they will not pay attention, which pisses her off (would me, too) and I believes she then overeats to somehow spite them.  And none of them has any idea of what normal eating is.  When I was last watching, Chris was the only one who was making progress, and I relate that to the rest of them just not nagging him about what he was eating.  Maybe because he's  a man?

Tammy needs to be praised when she sticks to her diet; otherwise, the rest of them need to get their obese noses out of her business.  Sure, they're going to be stuck with her care forever, but I can tell you that continuing what they've been doing UNSUCCESSFULLY for years and years isn't going to change that.

They need goddam live-in parents, every one of them, to show them how to eat.  Each and every goddam day.  I never encountered such a loud-mouthed bunch of fat ignoramuses in my life--and you should meet *my* family.

• Like 3