Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E15: A Date to Remember

Neptune
  • Start Topic

LMAO, I loved Thor's comment about the bit in reality shows where someone takes their date to a concert from some country star who shares their label with the network XD. Also laughed at Pete's reaction to Flower's story about that date involving all those people in a VW bus: "There's no way they were all wearing seatbelts..."

HOLY SHIT, though, wow, that episode took some truly wild twists and turns! FLOWER! Oh. My. God. That was utterly heartbreaking. I thought the idea of her not being able to remember her date with Thor was a sucker punch on its own, but then they did THAT with her backstory. Poor, poor Flower...:( .

And Thor trying to go all out to make things just right for their date, and wanting to recreate it when he feared she'd forgotten*, and the way he reassured her at the end... I just want to give him and Flower both the biggest hugs in the world right now <3. I will never be able to hear "Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow?" the same way ever again. 

*Jay making the same meal not once, but twice, for them, though. It cannot be said nearly enough how awesome he is. The whole running joke with the testicles was hilarious, too XD. Poor Jay :p. I'm glad he and Sam managed to finally have their own date night, too, at the end. 

Also loved Hetty being jealous of Isaac and Nigel spending more time together...and now I'm wondering what this little showdown of theirs over Isaac will lead to :D! I love that Isaac and Hetty hang out together to stare out the window and ponder things. Like whether or not fish have nightmares. LOL.

Yeah. This episode was a ride. But it was so, so good.

• Like 16
  • Fire 3
  • Love 4

Jay's such a good sport. 

I felt bad that nobody showed up at Nigel's party, but then Hetty and Nigel made up. But wait! That happy ending was a fakeout! Looking forward to more of those two.

Woah, I guess Hetty/Trevor is still a thing.

• Like 14

Thor adores Flower so much and it's so sweet. I love that he's been wanting to go on a date with her since she became a ghost and really went all out to plan the perfect date. The dinner date scene was both touching and hilarious. "They're loving the smell of your testicles." Lmao. I have no idea how any of the actors got through that scene without breaking a thousand times. I honestly can't blame Sam, because there's no way in hell I'd be eating that either. Poor Jay, though. "Why is it so chewy?" Jay really is the greatest, making a four course meal for ghosts not once but twice.

Nice touch with the electricity flickering when Thor and Flower kissed in the hall. Must've been a good kiss! 

Flower's backstory keeps getting more layers. She went to law school! I can totally understand why she was afraid of things going well with Thor because she already lost someone she really cared about and doesn't want to go through that again. When Thor said it would be okay because they're already dead, I was like, that's a good point, and then I remembered that the ghosts could get sucked off at any time so Flower's fear is still a possibility. 

Hetty and Nigel's fight was so petty and of course them making up was a fake out. And I liked that Isaac called Hetty his best friend. I love their friendship.

Sam and Jay finally got their date night with Thor acting as the bouncer. The ghosts really are like needy children!

• Like 17
  • Love 4
Just now, phalange said:

"They're loving the smell of your testicles." Lmao. I have no idea how any of the actors got through that scene without breaking a thousand times. I honestly can't blame Sam, because there's no way in hell I'd be eating that either. Poor Jay, though. "Why is it so chewy?" 

I would LOVE to see the blooper reel from this episode XD. 

• Like 9
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 8
4 minutes ago, phalange said:

Sam and Jay finally got their date night with Thor acting as the bouncer. The ghosts really are like needy children!

I loved Sam's expression when she was listening to them all trying to get in.

• Like 11

...and Pete and his improv..."Oh he's got  45 minutes yet"...LOL

This really is a great show. It doesn't just make me chuckle , it makes me laugh out loud, a rare thing for me these days, with modern sitcoms. It really is my Must See TV...

• Like 16
  • Applause 1

I have to say this one was the weaker episode so far.  The only thing I did like was finding out Flower was in law school and the flashback.

Hopefully this Hetty/Nigel feud pushes Hetty further to respect Trevor and her little whateveritis with him.

• Like 5
  • Sad 1
  • Useful 1
1 hour ago, Annber03 said:

I will never be able to hear "Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow?" the same way ever again. 

I know. But some catharsis too.

But:

44 minutes ago, phalange said:

When Thor said it would be okay because they're already dead, I was like, that's a good point, and then I remembered that the ghosts could get sucked off at any time so Flower's fear is still a possibility.

——except at least Thor will never leave.

• Like 3

This episode was so sweet. Flower's backstory was so sad I'll bet she took drugs in order to numb her grief. Isaac should have talked to the other ghosts before having Nigel move in. I loved everyone pitching in to make Thor's and Flower's date a success.

• Like 15

I kind of got big time Love Story vibes from Flower's flashback.  Is it real, or is she copying it?  (Flipping the roles, of course.)

Either way, good episode, and it nicely added depth to both Flower's and Thorfinn's characters.

I just love Hetty.  The actress and her facial expressions, body language, and verbal intonations are killing it.  

Poor Jay.  He wants to help so much that he ate ram balls.  Twice.

• Like 11
7 minutes ago, DanaK said:

Did I miss the explanation for why a country song?

Earlier in the episode, Thor was talking about how his ideas of what to do on a date came from watching reality shows, such as hot air balloon rides and private concerts with unknown country singers. He lamented that neither of those ideas would work here, obviously, because ghosts and all...but apparently Alberta found a way around that issue, at least with the country singer concert aspect :D. 

• Like 8
  • Useful 4

I liked, but not loved, this one. Some cute moments and some emotional moments but not a lot of hilarious moments. Which is not really a bad thing...character growth requires conflict and if we don't have that, we end up with increasingly outlandish scenarios and cardboard characters. 

I liked the end moment, where Sam was trying to ignore the ghosts in order to give Jay a nice Valentine's dinner. After she took advantage of him a bit earlier, it was nice to see her giving back. They do write them as a good couple. 

• Like 9
  • Useful 2
10 hours ago, kathyk24 said:

Isaac should have talked to the other ghosts before having Nigel move in.

Or at least Isaac should have told his "best friend" Hetty after Nigel moved in, and not have waited until she came looking for him because he didn't show up for their usual rumination session. No wonder she feels slighted.

• Like 16

I enjoyed the episode. I like the backstories that unfold almost weekly and glad that there’s more to Flower than we thought. 
I like when they throw Nancy in here and there. A little goes a long way but she’s still funny. 
Hetty and Nigel! Hetty and Trevor! If I had to pick a favorite I think it’s her.

• Like 7
  • Love 1
13 hours ago, greekmom said:

I have to say this one was the weaker episode so far. 

It wasn't one of the strongest episodes, especially in regards to laughs, I have to agree. Too much reliance on testicle jokes. But there were some surprisingly sweet moments. I can't be the only one who went "Awwwww!" when Thor and Flower kissed and the lights flickered. And the flashback to an uncharacteristically sober Flower was actually quite poignant. 

10 hours ago, Annber03 said:

I loved the little detail of Alberta serenading Thor and Flower with a country song :D. 

Was that a real song or did the show just make that up? It sounded more like a parody of a country western song.

3 hours ago, nora1992 said:

Thor as bouncer!  Those few seconds were the best part of an already great episode!

"You're not on the list." LOL. Also, all the ghosts clamoring for Sam's attention at once is something they do a lot in the UK version.

• Like 8
  • LOL 1

"A dinner with unknown country star who's label is also owned by the network." So accurate, it hurts. 

That episode was quite the ride, going from funny to sweet to sad to funny again. The two dates were so sweet, Thor was so excited to finally go on his date with Flower but he was so sad when he realized that Flower had totally forgotten everything. Then they go and smack us with Flower's terribly sad backstory, she really did have quite the life when she was alive, she truly contains multitudes. Maybe that hurt was also how she ended up getting sucked into a cult? 

Poor Jay, he really is such a great sport about all of this. Willing to cancel their late Valentines plans to make two extremely difficult niche dinners for people who cant even eat any of it, what a guy. 

Looks like this feud between Hetty and Nigel is just beginning. Its all so petty and hilarious, of course they were just pretending to make up. I really did think that it wasn't any big deal that Nigel asked Hetty late to go to his tea party and that Hetty was just mad about Isaac spending so much time with Nigel, which was also true, but nope, he totally knew what he was doing. That makes sense, he and Hetty both came from time periods when social etiquette was extremely important, he would know that this was a slight. 

Sass will at least be happy about this continuing feud, he was absolutely living for the drama. 

Thor acting as bodyguard for Sam and Jay's dinner was awesome, the ghosts really can be a bunch of needy children. Aww Pete just wants to hang out with Jay. 

• Like 9
  • Love 4
10 minutes ago, Neptune said:
  • "And according to Long [Thor], fans only got to see a portion of what was filmed for Flower and Thorfinn’s date. “There was actually a whole other scene where Flower and Thorfinn had another date that got cut. And it was such a good scene,” the actor shares. But fret not because there’s a chance this date could pop up later on."
    tvinsider.com...ghosts-season-2-episode-15...flower-thorfinn-date

Or maybe it would be included as an "extra" on Paramount+?

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
13 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

This was the first time I saw them as truly haunting Sam in an annoying way. 😕

There was an episode last season (I think the one where the ghosts burned down the gazebo) when Sam took away their TV privileges.  It meant she and Jay couldn’t watch TV either.  Jay didn’t mind, but then we saw the ghosts were crowding behind the couch whining at Sam.

This was cute.  Jay is still the best.  I loved the detail of Alberta being a tad annoyed at having to sing the fake country song the second time.  I’m now shipping Hetty and the Washing Machine.

• Like 10
  • LOL 5

Another great episode.  So much humor and some heart as well.  I'm liking Nigel and Nancy appearing in more episodes adding a little seasoning and tasty zest on top of the core ghosts' excellent main meal.  Hetty having to deal with both of them was hilarious.  And good for Nigel ready to take her on.

I think the so-called Flower backstory was her own spaced out mind mixing up reality with a movie she saw once since it is the exact same plot from "Love Story" but with Flower in the Ryan O'Neil role.  Adding the being in "law school" bit to it was core in the movie too and kind of tips that off. 

No way was Flower ever in law school herself and "Love Story" was one of the biggest movies from the 60's era (last of the 60's, first half of the 70's) that everybody had seen.

Edited by Skooma
  • Like 6
  • Useful 3
3 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

Thor acting as bodyguard for Sam and Jay's dinner was awesome, the ghosts really can be a bunch of needy children. Aww Pete just wants to hang out with Jay.

I loved that part.  Sass needed the channel changed, and Hetty needed a page turned?  Or was that Alberta who wanted Pandora?  And Pete wanting to hang with Jay, even though Jay doesn't know it, and Pete can't interact with him.  So sweet!

42 minutes ago, Skooma said:

I think the so-called Flower backstory was her own spaced out mind mixing up reality with a movie she saw once since it is the exact same plot from "Love Story" but with Flower in the Ryan O'Neil role.  Adding the being in "law school" bit to it was core in the movie too and kind of tips that off. 

No way was Flower ever in law school herself and "Love Story" was one of the biggest movies from the 60's era (last of the 60's, first half of the 70's) that everybody had seen.

This was also my first thought when I saw the flashback, how much Flower was styled as the Ali McGraw character in Love Story, how it was right from her era, and thought she'd flipped the story in her head so it was her fiance who died.  I wonder if we'll just be left to wonder, and it was an inside joke with the writers, or if we'll explore this more in the future.  I don't doubt that Flower has a deeper backstory than just hippy-dippy stoned, former cult member, bank robbing, space cadet, flower-child.  I just think that....wasn't it.  I hope it becomes a running joke, where Flower offers a reminiscence about her past that contradicts in some way with other reminiscences so we're left wondering.  Maybe that is the joke, that she's so spacey that she can't even remember her past correctly and instead has created these little vignettes of her life based on cultural references.

• Like 7
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
59 minutes ago, Skooma said:

10 minutes ago, HurricaneVal said:

This was also my first thought when I saw the flashback, how much Flower was styled as the Ali McGraw character in Love Story, how it was right from her era, and thought she'd flipped the story in her head so it was her fiance who died.

The Ali McGraw character (Jenny) in both "Love Story" the movie and the novel was at least a composite of the zeitgeist of the 60s, and Flower's story was not so different from that of my own (minus the bear) and a contemporary or two, so I think this plot borrowing works for this show, where we are accustomed to doing a lot of hand waving, and don't mind doing so much hand waving, because the show earns it. 

• Like 14
16 minutes ago, HurricaneVal said:

I loved that part.  Sass needed the channel changed, and Hetty needed a page turned?  Or was that Alberta who wanted Pandora?  And Pete wanting to hang with Jay, even though Jay doesn't know it, and Pete can't interact with him.  So sweet!

This was also my first thought when I saw the flashback, how much Flower was styled as the Ali McGraw character in Love Story, how it was right from her era, and thought she'd flipped the story in her head so it was her fiance who died.  I wonder if we'll just be left to wonder, and it was an inside joke with the writers, or if we'll explore this more in the future.  I don't doubt that Flower has a deeper backstory than just hippy-dippy stoned, former cult member, bank robbing, space cadet, flower-child.  I just think that....wasn't it.  I hope it becomes a running joke, where Flower offers a reminiscence about her past that contradicts in some way with other reminiscences so we're left wondering.  Maybe that is the joke, that she's so spacey that she can't even remember her past correctly and instead has created these little vignettes of her life based on cultural references.

Interesting. This wasn't in my mind at all. The actress in a couple of post-episode interviews seemed to take the backstory seriously and didn't seem to hint at anything else

• Like 8
  • Useful 2
7 minutes ago, Harvey said:

My favorite moment was when Hetty had to explain the tv show to Nancy again and again...and she actually did it! 🤣

Oh, the exasperation.

And now I'm wondering if Nancy was actually just playing dumb to yank Hetty's chain. 
I may grow to like Nancy yet.

• Like 12
1 hour ago, Skooma said:

Was Flower alive when the book or the movie came out (both 1970)? I was wondering if she knew Erich Segal when she was alive. Maybe they were friends, he was struck by her tragic story and decided to use her as a muse for Love Story?

Either she did have her fiance die from leukemia, but Segal reversed the roles because the female protagonist dying would elicit a more moving story

or

There never was the lover who died. It was only Flower who died, but Segal changed the story from a bear attack to leukemia for greater dramatic effect

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
18 hours ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

And the role of ram's testicles is played by. . . very large matzah balls.  I suppose there's a linguistic connection there.

When Jay said he put his own twist on sweet and sour testicles, I thought he had substituted gefilte fish knowing he would have to eat it and thinking Thor wouldn't be able to smell the difference.

Apparently not.

• Like 5
  • LOL 1
8 minutes ago, eel21788 said:

Was Flower alive when the book or the movie came out (both 1970)? I was wondering if she knew Erich Segal when she was alive. Maybe they were friends, he was struck by her tragic story and decided to use her as a muse for Love Story?

Now, that's a hot take I didn't think of!  Wasn't it Al Gore who famously claimed the tragic couple were based on him and his girlfriend?  Turns out it was partly true.  Erich Segal knew Al Gore and his college roommate Tommy Lee Jones (yes, that Tommy Lee Jones) and based the character of Oliver on an amalgamation of the two roommates.  However, Jenny was not based on Tipper Gore.  So that does leave the door open....  😆

• Like 2
  • Mind Blown 2
  • Useful 10
  • Love 1