Type keyword(s) to search

I'm So Disappointed In You: Celebrity Misdeeds

• Start Topic

8 hours ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

Boy, I didn't know about that aspect of Jerry and Jessica's relationship. I'll bet Jerry was just thrilled that he cucked somebody.

The media reported it but once again they didn't hammer him for it.  

It does give me some pleasure that now finally he is getting some negative media attention.

• Like 9
20 hours ago, Bastet said:

I could not believe how casually that was regarded.  Dude is almost 40 and dating a high school student, and people just shrug?!

That's insane.

I always knew men who got with way younger women (and obviously girls) who were not the nicest people. But the older I get, the more I see how we shouldn't just dismiss these men as merely superficial and wanting arm candy. Even if we're talking legal adults, 18, 19, 20 is sooo young. I still see those men as predatory even if what they're doing is legal. Just think of all the men who are monsters in Hollywood. So many of them dated/married way younger women. Even Cassie is 17 years younger than Diddy. I know she is 37 now, but she was only 19 when they met. 

• Like 14
11 minutes ago, RealHousewife said:

But the older I get, the more I see how we shouldn't just dismiss these men as merely superficial and wanting arm candy

I agree with you. When I was a teenager I "dated" some men in their 20s.  At the time I saw nothing wrong with it.  Now I know there was definitely something wrong with it.  Men who like very young women IMO like them because they think they can control them more. And also that the young women will be less likely to have someone better to compare them to.  Seinfeld was probably with Shoshanna because he could be that "dominate man" he likes so much.

• Like 14
21 hours ago, Dimity said:

I wonder how well known this was?  At least among fans of the show anyway.  Most of the people I know who liked it were not into celebrity gossip and unless this was making mainstream news sources I doubt they'd ever have been aware of it.  I know I certainly had no idea!  But then I was never a fan so he was flying well below my celebrity radar.

It was known at the time, and fodder for late night comedians.  I got the feeling that everyone was uncomfortable with it, but didn't call it out like they would today.

2 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

But the older I get, the more I see how we shouldn't just dismiss these men as merely superficial and wanting arm candy.

I've come to a similar conclusion.  I knew a woman years ago told me about dating men that were old enough to be her grandfather, and I have a friend who's 80 and his wife is 46.  They all are perfectly well-adjusted and happy people.  I think the difference between 46/80 is not like 18/40 because unlike the 18 year old, everyone else has enough worldly experience to make sound judgements (hopefully).

• Like 6
  • Useful 2

My recollection re Seinfeld/Shoshanna is that quite a lot of people did look askance at it. Perhaps it was different from today in that today, the focus would be on her, with the assumption that she was being exploited. Then, the focus was on him--with the assumption that there must be something weird about him, to want a relationship with an 18-year old when he was 40. Regarding Shoshanna, as I recall it, the attitude was "no mystery here, we know why she wants a relationship with a near-billionaire."

So it's not quite true that the public was blasé about it. It did change the public's perception of Seinfeld in a negative way. Just not with damaging consequences in the long term.

At least, that's how I remember it.

• Like 12
(edited)

After reading this thread and this topic, just saw that Anthony Kiedis from the Red Hot Chili Peppers, who is 61 years old, has a 19 year old girlfriend. 😣

ETA: I did not take the time to Google if it was accurate or not so I'd be happy to be told it was fake. 😆

Edited by AheadofStraight
28 minutes ago, AheadofStraight said:

After reading this thread and this topic, just saw that Anthony Kiedis from the Red Hot Chili Peppers, who is 61 years old, has a 19 year old girlfriend. 😣

ETA: I did not take the time to Google if it was accurate or not so I'd be happy to be told it was fake. 😆

I only did a quick search, but from that it seems she's 30.

(edited)
10 hours ago, Lugal said:

It was known at the time, and fodder for late night comedians.  I got the feeling that everyone was uncomfortable with it, but didn't call it out like they would today.

They probably wouldn't call it out today because these days, men still date way too young (and maybe even underage).  The only difference is that they are "smart" enough to wait and go public until the woman is 18.  And even if the age difference is squicky, by that point the law considers them two consenting adults and people don't like to call that out.  On social media or message boards, yes, but not main stream.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Like 6
  • Sad 2
(edited)
13 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

That's insane.

I always knew men who got with way younger women (and obviously girls) who were not the nicest people. But the older I get, the more I see how we shouldn't just dismiss these men as merely superficial and wanting arm candy. Even if we're talking legal adults, 18, 19, 20 is sooo young. I still see those men as predatory even if what they're doing is legal. Just think of all the men who are monsters in Hollywood. So many of them dated/married way younger women. Even Cassie is 17 years younger than Diddy. I know she is 37 now, but she was only 19 when they met. 

Yeah. My sister met her husband online. He was in his mid-forties, and she was 19/20. Ugh.  She talked to other guys,  but didn’t date anyone else.  She finally married him when she was 35. He was from Canada, made her go up to visit him, broke up with her over the phone when she hadn’t made it up there within his wanted time frame.  When he visited here for a couple of months, he hit on me the first time we were alone in the house.  Did it again several times when he wasn’t even here.  

We were talking about this stuff in the chit chat and peeves threads, recently.  Shoshanna is my age.  I remember men like him, being called names, and some also acted like it was perfectly normal. I have friends who married men who were eighteen years older than them, and know someone who dated a lot older, until she turned 29/30. I know another guy who dated much younger, until they started treating him like an old man. He married a really accomplished, beautiful woman, around his own age.  

Edited by Anela
  • Sad 2
  • Useful 2
(edited)
19 hours ago, Lugal said:

Yes, it was very well known; they dated very openly and she accompanied him to numerous industry events.  Back then, however, there was very little negative feedback; mostly lots of snickering and jokes about their age difference, her youth. Was he going to take her to prom?  Did she have a curfew?  Things have changed a lot since then.  Shoshanna also launched a very successful clothing line while she was with him.  Interestingly, she came from a wealthy background, her father gave her the money to start the business.

Heck, I remember lots of TV shows where a character would be drunk and driving erratically and it was played for laughs, as though it was funny.  Same thing with episodes where husbands threatened violence against their wives ('to the moon, Alice'!) or treated her like a child.  Lucy Ricardo had to beg Ricky for money and would incur his wrath if she bought a dress without permission, he'd yell at her and she'd burst into tears like a preschooler, there were even a couple of episodes where he turned her over his knee to spank her for some transgression.

Edited by Notabug
  • Like 9
12 hours ago, AheadofStraight said:

Well, that is better than 19 but still ew for me. 

12 hours ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

Agreed. I also do not love Anthony Kiedis's current look.

He has a disgusting history in regards to women and was in a "relationship" (not sure what else to call it) with an underaged Ione Skye. She was 16 and he was 24. Her mother and brother were against it and tried talking to her. He was majorly into drugs at the time. I think what makes it even worse was she not only had a man who thought it was ok to be with her at that age she also had to deal with that person in the drugged up state he'd be in. 

• Like 1
  • Angry 5
21 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

https://ew.com/jonathan-majors-to-receive-perseverance-award-after-assault-conviction-8662393

Really?  The perseverance of overcoming committing a crime, being convicted of it and having to pay the consequences?  Who the fuck decides this crap?

From the article:

During the June 21 event, the embattled 34-year-old actor will be presented with the Perseverance Award which, per the organization, is "given to an individual who has shown that no matter what adversity they face, they will continue to aspire to inspire."

I really hope Majors isn't inspiring anyone.

This man assaulted someone and was convicted of that assault.  That is adversity?  Why not give that award to the women who  have have been assaulted by their partners and left and had to start over? Or the children left behind after their father kills their mother?

• Like 6
  • Angry 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Applause 7
(edited)

Perseverance?! Against WHAT?! Because up until he got arrested, almost everyone was too afraid to speak out about what an asshole he is!!!!! That’s a pretty easy ride!!!

This is unforgivable.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Like 11
  • Fire 1
  • Applause 7
8 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

Perseverance?! Against WHAT?! Because up until he got arrested, almost everyone was too afraid to speak out about what an asshole he is!!!!! That’s a pretty easy ride!!!

This is unforgivable.

This is from another article:

Fans can expect a poignant acceptance speech from Majors as he takes the stage to reflect on the trials and tribulations of the past year. Alongside his girlfriend Meagan Good, Majors has been making notable public appearances, and his acceptance of the Perseverance Award marks a significant moment in his journey of growth and redemption.

Trials and tribulations?  Yeah of his own making.  Let's not act like he was the victim.

I looked up this award. Floyd Mayweather, another convicted domestic abuser, is past winner.

• Mind Blown 10
  • Angry 7
50 minutes ago, bluegirl147 said:

I looked up this award. Floyd Mayweather, another convicted domestic abuser, is past winner.

So in other words, it's a meaningless award.

• Like 16
  • Applause 5

A couple of days ago was the 30th anniversary of the murders of Nicole Brown and Ron Goldman, and I've been reading and watching a lot about the case lately.

And a recurring aspect of retrospectives is how much more we know about domestic violence now versus the 90s. And on one hand, I do know that's absolutely true. Even our understandings of abuse have come a long way even in the 10-15 years since I was in college. (I had 2 friends who were dating guys we all considered assholes, but it's only been in the last couple of years my friend group recognized they were not just that but also emotionally and verbally abusive.)

But stuff like this underscores that in many ways we haven't come anywhere near as far as commenters may congratulate our society on being.

• Like 13
  • Fire 1
22 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

IMO, it would be something that performers of ALL backgrounds would be best off giving a wide berth to  if not outright  BOYCOTTING it!  Did NO ONE in the committee  consider that not only is rewarding convicted domestic violence perps  trashing said award's integrity but also could  easily be used to revive some very ugly stereotypes?!

• Like 6
(edited)
22 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

Unfortunately, it isn't meaningless, however, the message is a terrible one.

I suppose P Diddy will be next year's honoree.

Edited by Notabug
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Sad 5
On 5/31/2024 at 8:13 AM, bluegirl147 said:

The media reported [the cucking] but once again they didn't hammer him for it.  

It does give me some pleasure that now finally he is getting some negative media attention.

Maybe it's because I'm grateful for all the pleasure Seinfeld has given me, but I don't think we should be salivating for the media to hammer people every time they behave in ways we don't approve of.

Exploitation, abuse, yeah, those are things that merit exposure and punishment. Unkindness? Stealing a person's mate? Those are things that happen approximately 1,000,000,000 times per second in our world. Let's disapprove without requiring that the perpetrator be pilloried in the town square.

Let he who is without sin, etc. etc.

• Like 15
  • Applause 1

I have a valid question - Timberlake was identified in the complaint as a '43 year old Franklin, Tennessee resident.' Did the arresting officer not know who he was or did someone reveal his identity after the fact? Is TMZ scooping everyone again?

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
(edited)
5 minutes ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

I have a valid question - Timberlake was identified in the complaint as a '43 year old Franklin, Tennessee resident.' Did the arresting officer not know who he was or did someone reveal his identity after the fact? Is TMZ scooping everyone again?

I presume it is from the official police report, so geeking out over a celeb would not be appropriate. The cop was probably trained to use the age and home address of the violator based on their driver's license in describing the arrest.  Even if the officer knew who he was and was president of his fan club, that information isn't pertinent to the DUI.

Edited by Notabug
  • Like 19
  • Useful 1
4 hours ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

From Page Six

Screenshot_20240618_181521_Chrome.jpg

• Like 1
  • Useful 8
  • LOL 4
25 minutes ago, Mabinogia said:

Justin Timberlake is 43?!?!??! OMG I feel so old now. 

What makes me feel old is the idea that a POLICE OFFICER is young enough that he's never heard of Justin Timberlake.  I mean how old is this guy?  Good god.

• Like 9
  • LOL 13
On 6/14/2024 at 1:29 PM, Zella said:

A couple of days ago was the 30th anniversary of the murders of Nicole Brown and Ron Goldman, and I've been reading and watching a lot about the case lately.

And a recurring aspect of retrospectives is how much more we know about domestic violence now versus the 90s. And on one hand, I do know that's absolutely true. Even our understandings of abuse have come a long way even in the 10-15 years since I was in college. (I had 2 friends who were dating guys we all considered assholes, but it's only been in the last couple of years my friend group recognized they were not just that but also emotionally and verbally abusive.)

But stuff like this underscores that in many ways we haven't come anywhere near as far as commenters may congratulate our society on being.

I was a victim of domestic violence with my ex which I escaped from with my life in 1990. Not much was known or understood about domestic violence in those days, especially in certain economic groups. It was hard to share my story and then the whole OJ murders opened up the world to what domestic violence really is how anyone can be prey. 
it is so disheartening to see that in 2024, people are still dismissing domestic violence and seem to not understand.

There is the Internet, resources and advocates all over the media and yet it keeps being ignored, it is frustrating

• Like 2
  • Hugs 18
(edited)
13 hours ago, Dimity said:

I'm surprised Mr. Timberlake didn't attempt to repeat the late Glen Campbell's 2004 attempt to shift the blame  for DUI via claiming to have been 'over served'.

Over It Eye Roll GIF by Friends

8 hours ago, Mabinogia said:

Don't feel old. He makes up for his chronological years via his immaturity.

Edited by Blergh
  • Like 6

Justin Timberlake was ‘wasted’ and drinking other people’s drinks at Hamptons hotel before DWI bust

“He was wasted. At one point, just before closing, somebody got up to go to the bathroom and left his drink on the table,’’ the source said of the scene at the posh American Hotel in Sag Harbor, LI, in the wee hours.

“When [the man] came back, [Timberlake] was drinking his drink.

“The guy goes, “Justin, that’s my drink!’’ the source said.

But it was only one drink...

Also, yes, the officer had no idea who he was:

The cop who pulled him over was too young to recognize the former boy-band star or even know his name, sources told The Post.

• Like 4
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Sad 1
  • LOL 1
9 hours ago, Mabinogia said:

I'm the same age as him and I couldn't pick him out of line up where none of the men looked the same. 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Milburn Stone said:

Maybe he meant only one drink that was actually his?

Or only one that he actually paid for?

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 6
4 hours ago, EtheltoTillie said:

I have no tolerance for DUI.  It's not even something i can really joke about.

I don't know if I would call it tolerance. Clearly Timberlake wasn't telling the truth about only having one drink, but that leads to one of two options; either this arrest was a one-time thing, and I don't have the time to check right now, or he has a problem with not being able to "drink safely", which is a separate issue. If he's grabbing other people's booze at a public event, it might be the latter.

• Like 4
  • Useful 2
2 hours ago, EtheltoTillie said:

Has anyone been following the story about Howie Mandel and his wife's bloody head injuries allegedly from a fall in her hotel after she took too many gummies?  What do we think about this?  Is this true or are they hiding something?   She looks really awful.

https://www.tmz.com/2024/06/18/howie-mandel-wife-accident-las-vegas-weed-gummies-tipsy-hotel/

I'm not familiar with this story, but I have heard that gummies hit different and there is a learning curve to them.  Apparently, it's very easy to overindulge without realizing.  Gummies take longer to take effect than some hits of a joint or blunt, or so I have heard.  

• Like 1
  • Useful 5
10 hours ago, EtheltoTillie said:

Has anyone been following the story about Howie Mandel and his wife's bloody head injuries allegedly from a fall in her hotel after she took too many gummies?  What do we think about this?  Is this true or are they hiding something?   She looks really awful.

https://www.tmz.com/2024/06/18/howie-mandel-wife-accident-las-vegas-weed-gummies-tipsy-hotel/

I guess her injuries could have been worse if where she was walking was floor and not carpet. I seriously doubt Howie had anything do to with her getting injured. He's such a germaphobe due to his OCD I can't really see him hitting anyone. Now I'm wondering if they're still in the same home they were years ago. I mention that because at one time he was doing most of his living in a guest house behind the main house because anxiety and OCD. 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, EtheltoTillie said:

I guess everyone thinks Howie Mandel is not an abuser and he's just acting like a jerk by publicizing his wife's injury?  Still not great . . .

At this point, I see no point on not giving Mr. Mandel the benefit of the doubt that he had nothing to do with his wife's injury. However, I agree that it would have been better to have let Mrs. Mandel heal on her own without spreading pictures of her head.

P.S. To return to a previous topic, it needs to be said that while Mr. Timberlake is no longer a white-hot teen idol, as far as I know still has FAR more monies to hire ubers, taxis or chauffeurs than most folks so he has even LESS excuse to have not made use of these services when soused to spare himself and others from potential injury.

• Like 5
  • Applause 7
1 hour ago, Blergh said:

At this point, I see no point on not giving Mr. Mandel the benefit of the doubt that he had nothing to do with his wife's injury. However, I agree that it would have been better to have let Mrs. Mandel heal on her own without spreading pictures of her head.

P.S. To return to a previous topic, it needs to be said that while Mr. Timberlake is no longer a white-hot teen idol, as far as I know still has FAR more monies to hire ubers, taxis or chauffeurs than most folks so he has even LESS excuse to have not made use of these services when soused to spare himself and others from potential injury.

He was also supposedly following a friend driving another car.  He could've gotten a ride from his friend and come back for his own car later.  No excuse.

• Like 9
  • Applause 1
(edited)

I don't know anything about the Howie Mandel situation, but they may have simply just wanted to get ahead of the story to preempt gossip about how she got her injuries. Have you ever had facial injuries in public? People can get awkward about them really fast, understandably, especially if they don't know how you got them and they look like the result of you being attacked. I once went to work with bruises on my face from dental surgery. I had no clue I had bruises on my face, until someone finally directly asked me "Oh my God, did someone beat the shit out of you?" But the entire day, people had been staring at me really weirdly and had been noticeably uncomfortable around me, so being asked that question made a lot of sense. I can't even how much more intense the scrutiny could be if you were in the public eye for any reason. 

Edited by Zella
  • Like 14
  • Useful 5
8 minutes ago, Zella said:

I don't know anything about the Howie Mandel situation, but they may have simply just wanted to get ahead of the story to preempt gossip about how she got her injuries. Have you ever had facial injuries in public? People can get awkward about them really fast, understandably, especially if they don't know how you got them and they look like they result of you being attacking. I once went to work with bruises on my face from dental surgery. I had no clue I had bruises on my face, until someone finally directly asked me "Oh my God, did someone beat the shit out of you?" But the entire day, people had been staring at me really weirdly and had been noticeably uncomfortable around me, so being asked that question made a lot of sense. I can't even how much more intense the scrutiny could be if you were in the public eye for any reason. 

Oh yeah, I had a tooth pulled and looked like I had been punched in the jaw. People have obvious reactions. Men tend to look embarrassed to look at you. 

I can totally see why they would want to get in front of this story because TMZ is relentless.

• Like 14
49 minutes ago, badhaggis said:

Oh yeah, I had a tooth pulled and looked like I had been punched in the jaw. People have obvious reactions. Men tend to look embarrassed to look at you. 

I can totally see why they would want to get in front of this story because TMZ is relentless.

Yeah I have never forgotten the way people acted. They weren't trying to be mean, but it was so awkward. I knew I had facial swelling and at first I rather naively assumed that's what people were staring at. It eventually dawned on me that this was a weird level attention for facial swelling, but I still didn't put two and two together until someone directly asked me.

• Like 7
47 minutes ago, Zella said:

Yeah I have never forgotten the way people acted. They weren't trying to be mean, but it was so awkward. I knew I had facial swelling and at first I rather naively assumed that's what people were staring at. It eventually dawned on me that this was a weird level attention for facial swelling, but I still didn't put two and two together until someone directly asked me.

I tripped on the sidewalk in SF while out with a friend.  By late afternoon, there were bruises around my eyes and my forehead.  Mr. ebk was working (we were at a convention) and by the end of the weekend, whenever we went out, people would just stare at us.  I kept thinking that if anyone asked me and I told them what happened, they probably wouldn't believe me because that's what people in abusive situations always say.  I wasn't in pain, but I felt really bad for Mr. ebk for all the side-eye he was getting.  

It's a weird feeling, but I do appreciate people being concerned - in the grand scheme of things. 

• Like 11
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, Zella said:

Have you ever had facial injuries in public? People can get awkward about them really fast, understandably, especially if they don't know how you got them and they look like the result of you being attacked

Perhaps they remember the horrible PR campaign Carrie Underwood went on about her "disfiguring" injuries from a fall. When she finally appeared in public, the reaction was "WTF are you talking about, Girlfriend?" 

• Like 7