Type keyword(s) to search

The View: Week of 1/2/2023

falltime
  • Start Topic

Monday, Jan. 2 – Network Pre-Emption

Tuesday, Jan. 3 – Quinta Brunson (ABC’s “Abbott Elementary”)

Wednesday, Jan. 4 – Winston Duke (“Black Panther: Wakanda Forever”)

Thursday, Jan. 5 – Rep. Adam Schiff (D-Calif.)

Friday, Jan. 6 – “The View” celebrates Ana Navarro’s birthday

• Thanks 1
36 minutes ago, Elizabeth Anne said:

I am guessing the Jan 3 show may end up being a tribute show for Barbara Walters?  

I honestly can’t see them doing an entire episode on her since she’s been away from the show for almost ten years; ABC is airing a special on Sunday evening and she’s gotten plenty of news coverage on GMA and Friday night’s 20/20 time slot. I’m guessing she will get a lengthy segment at the beginning of the show (maybe 10-15 minutes and a few clips). A lot has gone on since they went on winter break. 

I’m  sure the Tuesday guest is a lovely woman, but they really should have left the first day back without guests so they can focus on the past few weeks (and now BW). 

• Like 1

Ugh - enjoy Ana but hate the seemingly endless birthday celebrations for panelists. Just not interesting.  Can’t they do the normal thing - wish the celebrant a happy day and then move on?

RIP, BW.  93!!  Another over-achievement for BabaWawa, an important figure in tele-celeb-“journalism.”  She will be missed by many.

• Like 3

I watched today for the first time in years, as I wanted to see the Barbara tribute.  

It was nicely done.  A little too much Elisabeth for my liking, but everything she said was fine.  LOL at typical The View technical issues and having to resort to Whoopi and signs.

Speaking of Whoopi, I thought she looked really good.  

Was great seeing Joy too, and hearing her memories of Barbara.

This was the first time I've seen the new co-host, who's name I don't even know.  Seemed strange having her there, but I suppose she, as well as Sunny and Sarah, are current co-hosts and it might have been weird to sit them out.

Loved seeing Debbie and Lisa.  As well as Sherri and Star.   Too bad Meredith couldn't have been there, or at least been on video instead of phone.

Not surprised Rosie O wasn't involved, but glad they included her in video clips.

Loved all the video clips at the end.  

Nice ending with just Barbara talking, and the pic of her chair.

She was a trail blazer, and though I don't currently watch The View, I did for many, many years, and always enjoyed when she was at the table.  RIP Barbara. 

Edited by buffynut
  • Like 8
  • Useful 2
  • Love 6

It was a very nice tribute. I just wished when they broke to commercial, they would have showed clips of Barbara during her journalism days--clips of interviews with Qadafi, and other world leaders, as well as celebrities. I did LOVE and 😂 at the one where Barbara is interviewing Sheri O'Teri, who is dressed up as Barbara from SNL!

And Sara goofed when she called Meredith "Star" as she introduced the reason why she couldn't be there, but at least she was there on the phone! Jeebus Cripes.

If they could have brought that TWAT, Chipmunk via Skype/Zoom, whatever, would it have killed them to ask Rosie to appear?

I did appreciate there was none of the annoying music in the opening with the hooping, and how the show ended with a moment of silence.

• Like 3
  • LOL 1

I haven't watched in years but tuned in today to see the women who shared a table with BW. The good old days when this show was moderated by Meredith. Rip BW.

• Like 11
3 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

If they could have brought that TWAT, Chipmunk via Skype/Zoom, whatever, would it have killed them to ask Rosie to appear?

From https://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity-news/news/why-rosie-odonnell-missed-the-views-barbara-walters-tribute/

"An ABC rep and a spokesperson for the League of Our Own actress both confirmed that O’Donnell, 60, was invited to take part in the special episode, TVLine reports. However, the former cohost had prior commitments. “She is on a plane and couldn’t change her schedule,” her representative explained."

• Thanks 1
  • Useful 5

Was there a live audience today?  I heard applause, but never saw the audience, so I wasn’t sure if they had one or if it was just the other employees applauding. 

I would have loved to have seen clips of Barbara crafting with Rosie. That was always amusing  

Debbie has aged really well. I’m glad she (along with most of the other past hosts) has done well for herself after leaving the View. 

• Like 2

I thought the tribute was nice but Lisa Ling (who I love) commenting on how they were all like Barbara Walters' children because she never had any, then Whoopi and Joy having to correct her after the commercial break, was peak awkward tv. 

• Like 9
  • Mind Blown 1

I'm glad Elisabeth was there for only one segment. Seemed like she couldn't even get that a moment like this one without shoveling spin, ugh.

Nice seeing and hearing from the original co-hosts. Such a shame Meredith was sick, would've loved to have seen her today at the table itself along with Lisa. I forgot that Sunny started guesting when Barbara was there. I didn't watch most of the Sherri/Jenny season, that must be why. I did remember that Sherri helped Sunny get her start on The View to "pay it forward" so to speak (although she didn't get hired until Joy came back), somehow my mind blanked that Barbara's final year was at the same time she first tried out.

Yeah, it's a shame Rosie couldn't be there. In a way, it had felt as if Barbara left the show to Rosie when she retired, my personal interpretation was it was to make up for the past on her way out. They could've had her on the segment that Joy was moderating so she never had to deal with Whoopi.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, Medicine Crow said:

When did the dementia come up?  I haven't heard anything about it.  Too bad!!

I don't remember if I'd read it here or on other sites but the rumor for a long time had been that Barbara was suffering from dementia.  That is why she quit making public appearances.

I loved, loved the segment with all the women journalists coming out to honor Barbara.  I don't think I'd seen that before.  Was that her last day on the View?  Definitely a kleenex moment.

• Like 6
  • Applause 1

Other than Rosie Jenny McCarthy was the only cohost who wasn't included yesterday right?  I had stopped watching the View when she was cohost because Joy was no longer there. And honestly until I saw a clip yesterday I had forgotten all about her being a cohost. 

Might be an unpopular opinion but I enjoyed the View better on days Barbara wasn't there. I would see her come out with the other cohosts and be disappointed.  But that's not to say she didn't have her moments.  One of my favorite moments was after Rosie had some dust up with Trump they came back from their holiday break and Barbara said something like "That little little man".  

And to dive into the shallow end Barbara had some really nice clothes.

• Like 7
1 hour ago, Haleth said:

I loved, loved the segment with all the women journalists coming out to honor Barbara.  I don't think I'd seen that before.  Was that her last day on the View?

I think so--you could see the table with "The View" emblazoned on it. Watching those clips yesterday makes me miss the couch.

• Like 2
9 minutes ago, bluegirl147 said:

Other than Rosie Jenny McCarthy was the only cohost who wasn't included yesterday right? 

The View has had 20+ co-hosts, so at least half of them were not included....Nicolle Wallace, Rosie Perez, Paula Faris, Candace Cameron Bure, Jedidiah Bila, Abby Huntsman, MeganM, Michelle Collins, Raven Symone, and of course Ana Navarro.

I liked that they re-aired the moment when Babs was swarmed by all the newswomen during her final week.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
4 minutes ago, SanDiegoInExile said:

The View has had 20+ co-hosts, so at least half of them were not included....Nicolle Wallace, Rosie Perez, Paula Faris, Candace Cameron Bure, Jedidiah Bila, Abby Huntsman, MeganM, Michelle Collins, Raven Symone, and of course Ana Navarro.

I meant cohosts that were there when Barbara was still cohosting.

• Like 6

This is a nice tribute.  I didn't realize till I read the post above that Jenny McCarthy was there while Barbara was still there, but you can see her at the table in the retirement clips with all the women journalists.

Edited by buffynut
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Love 1

I’m with Joy. The popcorn is fun.

Oh, all these folks are wrong about flying. You both book aisle seats. You can get by with not sitting right next to your travel partner for a couple hours, but not having to climb over people to get out of your seat?  Priceless. 

Edited by Haleth
  • Like 3
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 1
7 hours ago, bluegirl147 said:

Might be an unpopular opinion but I enjoyed the View better on days Barbara wasn't there.

I felt the same way.  It was like the co-hosts thought they had to be more self-controlled when the boss was on.

• Like 7
  • Applause 3

Sunny and FOOTBALL.   She says she did NOT sign for her son to play high school football.  It's obvious that SOME parent did; does Manny have the cojones to sign a permission slip when Sunny does NOT approve?  Hmmm...and although she didn't "sign," she certainly did brag about his successes ... and that he was recruited to play college football.  No mention of her concerns about injuries at those times.

• Like 3
18 hours ago, TheGreenKnight said:

I'm glad Elisabeth was there for only one segment. Seemed like she couldn't even get that a moment like this one without shoveling spin, ugh.

It looked like she was sitting in a walk-in closet during her brief appearance. I'm glad she wasn't on long too.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, GiveMeSpace said:

That was a mess wasn't it? Lol. I mean is that her decorating style?

It was ridiculous that she was allowed to use that football paraphernalia as a background.

The show was to remember BW not Tim's short lived career.

• Like 1
  • LOL 5
On 1/2/2023 at 6:33 AM, Haleth said:

Oh, the Rose Parade is on ABC.  Shouldn't that have been on yesterday?  I forgot about it.

The Rose parade is never on a Sunday. It's in the bylaws and is on a Monday when the first is on a Sunday.

So was Megan McCain not invited to call in, or did she decide not too. Thank goodness we didn't have to listen to her word salad drone on and on.   Just wish Rosie had been there.  She does wear her heart on her sleeve and would have been a sobbing mess, though.

Edited by howiveaddict
1 hour ago, howiveaddict said:

The Rose parade is never on a Sunday. It's in the bylaws and is on a Monday when the first is on a Sunday.

So was Megan McCain not invited to call in, or did she decide not too. Thank goodness we didn't have to listen to her word salad drone on and on.   Just wish Rosie had been there.  She does wear her heart on her sleeve and would have been a sobbing mess, though.

As has been stated up thread, only previous cohosts that were on the show at the time Barbara was on, returned. Except for Rosie.

• Like 4
On 1/4/2023 at 11:10 AM, Haleth said:

Oh, all these folks are wrong about flying. You both book aisle seats. You can get by with not sitting right next to your travel partner for a couple hours, but not having to climb over people to get out of your seat?  Priceless. 

Imagine the anxiety Sunny would have if it was an attractive woman in between her and Manny! 

• LOL 5
9 minutes ago, Haleth said:

Sara doesn’t think Speaker is a powerful position?  What?  Did she skip civics class that day?

It seems to be getting less powerful by the vote with the amount of concessions being made, he's just been a hostage of the crazies and should remember Stockholm syndrome is a real thing.

• Like 2
27 minutes ago, Haleth said:

Sara doesn’t think Speaker is a powerful position?  What?  Did she skip civics class that day?

Yesterday didn't she say Speaker is second in line after VP in the line of succession? So yesterday she knew the importance of that position and today she doesn't?

15 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

I’m with Ana, watching the trainwreck is fun, even though it’s not good for Congress to be held up.

Yes both things can be true.  This trainwreck is karma IMO.  And so satisfying to watch.  But yeah the longer it drags out the more it ultimately hurts us.

• Like 6