Type keyword(s) to search

Ghosts: Comparing the Characters, History & Humour in the UK and US Comedies

AngieBee1
  • Start Topic

On 10/15/2021 at 7:35 PM, Sakura12 said:

I think what makes the UK version work more is the actors are a comedy troupe that have worked together before. So they know how to work off each other. 

The US version is just a bunch of random actors. They may be able to find their groove but it will take a few episodes. 

Although I am curious about the headless 50's Ghost and how he got beheaded. Since his story will not be at all similar to Humphrey's. 

Absolutely!  The UK ghosts have a synergy -a chaotic synergy - that boosts the comedy to a new level.  They know how to talk over each other in such a way that everyone is still heard; it makes their interactions much funnier.  The US ghosts take turns -the dialogue/lines are delivered in sequence and the pacing is just... off.   It feels hollow to me sometimes like something is missing.  

Still love both shows, but the UK version is far superior and much edgier.

• Love 2
On 4/9/2022 at 6:11 PM, callie lee 29 said:

Just watched the first 5 episodes of the UK and I hated it. It managed to be both annoying and boring at the same time. 

I just watched the first season of the BBC version and it was bad. First, I don't like the male lead, he is annoying and unlike Jay in the US version, he adds nothing to the show. Second the ghost are mean and not likable at all. 

• Like 2
  • Love 3
On 4/20/2022 at 2:01 PM, enduringforce said:

I just watched the first season of the BBC version and it was bad. First, I don't like the male lead, he is annoying and unlike Jay in the US version, he adds nothing to the show. Second the ghost are mean and not likable at all. 

The second BBC season is better than the first.  As for the ghosts being "mean" ....maybe Julian.  And sometimes Fanny, but she is so wickedly funny that I barely notice the unpleasantness.  

Michael (played by Kiell Smith-Bynoe) wasn't given much to do in the first season, but his personality emerged in season 2 especially with the episodes "Bump in the Night" and "The Ghost of Christmas."  Frankly, I think the British series has better crafted, more complicated storylines with superior dialogue.  It's making me judge the American series (which I initially loved) rather harshly.  I can still enjoy CBS Ghosts, but it just feels like a cheap knockoff now.

To each his/her own.

• Sad 1
  • Love 4
On 12/21/2021 at 6:10 PM, Sakura12 said:

I wonder if they will have the creepy kid ghost that always scared the other ghosts. 

I wish.  She was a really good addition to the BBC series and hopefully will return.  Maybe her age became an issue.  Young teens age quickly and look nothing like they did 2 years earlier.  So the stay-as-you-die principle is a challenge when kids are cast as ghosts.

Edited by TruffleHog
6 hours ago, TruffleHog said:

Frankly, I think the British series has better crafted, more complicated storylines with superior dialogue.  It's making me judge the American series (which I initially loved) rather harshly.  I can still enjoy CBS Ghosts, but it just feels like a cheap knockoff now.

Well, that's the benefit of a much shorter TV season. There's no need for filler episodes, so the scripts are tighter, and the season-long storylines move faster. The drawback, though, is that there's less room to develop the individual characters, so sometimes the characterization can be a bit shallow. And the longer season in the US gives them room to add to the lore (like how they can be trapped in iron, or how thoroughly unrepentant ghosts "go down").

Personally, I like both versions. But hey, YMMV.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
On 4/22/2022 at 11:51 PM, The Crazed Spruce said:

Personally, I like both versions. But hey, YMMV.

I like them both as well. I prefer some things about the US, like Jay and Hetty, but I prefer some things about the UK version, love Kitty and Alison. The humour is a bit harsher in the UK but it also allows for more growth from the ghosts while I feel a stronger family vibe with the US ghosts and I like how Jay "interacts" with them. 

I am glad that both versions exist. I love them both.

• Love 4
8 hours ago, Mabinogia said:

I like them both as well. I prefer some things about the US, like Jay and Hetty, but I prefer some things about the UK version, love Kitty and Alison. The humour is a bit harsher in the UK but it also allows for more growth from the ghosts while I feel a stronger family vibe with the US ghosts and I like how Jay "interacts" with them. 

I am glad that both versions exist. I love them both.

Yes.  The overall tone of the BBC series is darker and edgier, and the CBS version is rather light-hearted in comparison.  Alison isn't afraid to confront the misbehaving ghosts -- sometimes yells at them and called each of them names in S1 Episode 2 ( e.g. Budget Tarzan, Sourpuss, Captain Caveprick, etc.)  

Sam is a softer, more people-pleasing character.  Has she ever gotten angry with the ghosts?  Also, Hetty is less uptight and angry than BBC's Fanny.  I do appreciate the sweet goofiness of the CBS series, but it's kind of like comparing milk and dark chocolate.  Once you've developed a taste for dark chocolate, the milk variety never tastes the same (for me, anyway).

Edited by TruffleHog
  • Like 2

I'm happy the US and UK versions are so different so I can enjoy both. British and American humor is very different as well. Even when they do a similar storyline it turns out differently. 

I'm eagerly awaiting Series 4 of Ghosts UK and season 2 of Ghosts US.

• Love 4
On 4/25/2022 at 9:29 PM, TruffleHog said:

The overall tone of the BBC series is darker and edgier, and the CBS version is rather light-hearted in comparison

I totally agree with this. I've only watched the first set of the UK show, but I really like the warmer tone of the US version

• Like 1
  • Love 6

The UK ghosts have a synergy -a chaotic synergy - that boosts the comedy to a new level.  They know how to talk over each other in such a way that everyone is still heard; it makes their interactions much funnier.  The US ghosts take turns -the dialogue/lines are delivered in sequence and the pacing is just... off.   It feels hollow to me sometimes like something is missing.  

I didn't realize until recently the actors also write the show. I agree the dialogue is more sophisticated in the UK version, but that's not surprising. They do this thing where a group of ghosts are all talking at once to Alison while she is trying to listen to a living person and cannot hear them because of the cacophony going on around her. It really underscores how taxing this must be on her, to have all these ghosts shouting things at her all the time and overwhelming her. That's something they don't do in the US version.

Second the ghost are mean and not likable at all. 

Series in the UK don't feel the need to make their characters all warm and fuzzy like they do in the US. The characters in the UK version are funny because they are/were mostly awful people. I think so, anyway. The US version has to do these feel good moments every episode, the UK version has no need for that. I like both versions but recognize the American version is very Americanized.

• Like 1
  • Love 3

I heard that the actors who play the Ghosts also do the basement Ghosts but with heavier makeup. 

I just hope the US version doesn't recycle the UK version of Allison meeting her fake sister.

Also I find Jay brighter than Mike.

• Like 1
On 7/13/2022 at 1:11 PM, iMonrey said:

They do this thing where a group of ghosts are all talking at once to Alison while she is trying to listen to a living person and cannot hear them because of the cacophony going on around her.

Having now watched season 1 of the UK version on HBO Max, this is exactly why I prefer the American version. Way too many scenes of people talking over each other - like I get it, it's crazy making, but enough is enough.

I like that Sam made a truce with the ghosts much faster than the British version where they were still wanting to get rid of them up until the last episode of the first season. I like that in the American version the house wasn't so far gone and they keep finding things on the estate to help pay for the repairs, where on the British one it just seems like a total decrepit money pit with no way to pay for the repairs.

As far as characters, I prefer Hetty, Sas, Isaac, Sam & Jay to their British counterparts, but everyone else is a wash. I do like Fanny & Kitty though, and I cannot stand Flower on the American version. I also like that each character on the US version is easily identifiable for the era they came from, whereas the British one I spent the first few episodes trying to figure out what era Kitty, Fanny, Mary and Thomas came from -they all seemed to blend together. 

I will continue to watch both, but overall, for me, the American one wins.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2

I have been in touch with HBO Max on Twitter & Facebook, and they have NO information about streaming Ghosts UK Season 4 in the U.S.! Quote from Facebook: "I'll be sure to pass along the request [for Season 4] to our team."  I find this very distressing--I really want to see Season 4.

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
On 4/8/2022 at 8:10 PM, TruffleHog said:

Absolutely!  The UK ghosts have a synergy -a chaotic synergy - that boosts the comedy to a new level.  They know how to talk over each other in such a way that everyone is still heard; it makes their interactions much funnier.  The US ghosts take turns -the dialogue/lines are delivered in sequence and the pacing is just... off.   It feels hollow to me sometimes like something is missing.  

Still love both shows, but the UK version is far superior and much edgier.

I've just watched Season 1 of the UK version and I came away feeling totally the opposite.  I can't understand anything when the UK ghosts start screaming and yelling over each other.  Don't like that at all.   I get it is about how confusing it is for Alison but a few times is enough then it just grates on the viewer.

And I find the wit of the American ghosts far more subtle and sophisticated while giving them far more heart and humanity as well.  Like real people and not one off devices delivering a writer's line.  I winning combo anytime as they aren't going for the cheap, mean laugh.  I also find the US ghost ensemble far more unified and brilliant in playing off each other.  They just plain have better chemistry together.

I like how the US ghosts aren't necessarily one-to-one with their UK "counterparts."  Like Issac is the US version of the English captain (who looks way to old to just be a captain, should have been a colonel).  But also Issac has the wannabe higher class thing going and takes over the political intrigue and knowing "great" men and playing politics (vs Hamilton, kissing up to Franklin etc) that Julian has.  He is far less military charge charge charge and is more sophisticated.  After all we have Thorfinn to fill the role of the pure warrior anyway.  No need for two of them charging around.

So that means though Trevor leaves his body roughly at the same time as Julian and they are both smarmy at one level; he doesn't have to be the "politician" type and he is free to be the horny guy (Thomas) who wants Sam in the early episodes which happily he gets over quickly ... mostly.  Thus taking away this element from Sassapis who is the Thomas crossover I assume leaving Sas to remain the sweet soul he is and develop a new and far better version of Thomas.

So far after the first season my takes on the UK Ghosts:

Favorites: Robin actually is my favorite.  He is really a very wise ghost but ignored too much by his fellows because he is just a "caveman."  I like Julian and the Captain for their intrigues and of course Pat since he is an earlier version of sweet Pete.

Which doesn't speak well for the female ghosts.  Fanny's jump/scream was fine for the first episode but glad they stopped that.  But she can't hold a candle to Hetty who is a much much rounded-out and strong character.  Fanny would most probably just weakly whine about Irish laborers and the silverware instead of Hetty's rather strong pronouncements on same for example.

After one full season I have no idea who the hell Kitty is or even what era she is from ... half the costumes suck in the UK version.  She seems "slow" as they would have said in her day (whenever that was) if she thinks babies come from rubbing ears and she is so damn clingy and needy she is exhausting.  Glad we got Alberta instead.  Give me a strong woman any day over a weak, needy one.

So I guess Mary is my favorite UK female ghost by default because at least she is different then any of the US ones and obviously has next to nothing in common with Flower which basically gives me a new character to explore.

I don't care for headless ghosts.  One trick pony.  Glad Crash was basically written out asap.  Wish his counterpart would be too.  One or two episodes is enough for any headless cast member as it gets old fast.  The first one or two though were done well with Mr UK Headless at least.

And of course the deepest rung in hell should not be reserved for Hetty's husband but for that idiot stalker, Thomas, for being the most annoying ghost ever created for a TV series.  Or characters dead or even living for that matter.  Please tell me the writers realized their mistake and wrote him out early in Season 2?  Absolutely nothing good to say about him at all.

Non-ghost wise I like the American couple better.  Both are good but I like especially how Jay can interact with the ghosts and very early on in the series too.  His "non-interaction" interaction with them is perfection.  Saw nothing remotely like that with Mike after 6 full episodes.  UK writers didn't write him to be as smart or witty as Jay either.  Both female "livings" are good but top honors go to Sam because she doesn't have a nose whatever it is sticking in her nose.  I hate that stuff.  And I think she is better at handling the talking to ghosts while others are there then covering then Alison.

Edited by Skooma
  • Like 3

Oh, Kitty. She’s my favorite. I don’t think she is weak. I think she is unfiltered enthusiasm and joyful naivete. It’s such a cheerfully weird, fully committed performance.

Regarding Thomas, yes. Gag gag gag. But thanks to the comment above, I now see he and Sass are counterparts! I hadn’t put that together before.

• Like 2
10 hours ago, KarenX said:

Oh, Kitty. She’s my favorite. I don’t think she is weak. I think she is unfiltered enthusiasm and joyful naivete. It’s such a cheerfully weird, fully committed performance.

Kitty is easily my favorite of the Brit Ghosts. I don't find her weak either. I adore her childlike glee. I had a friend once comment how nice it was that I got very excited about the smallest of things. That's how I see Kitty. She appreciates the smallest things and celebrates them with all she's got. I also appreciate that, though bad things happened to her, she doesn't dwell on them but does focus most of her energy on positive/good things.

I am curious how old she's meant to be when she died. She comes across as very young, but being sheltered would contribute to that, but I still think of her as in her teens.

• Like 1

@Skooma, I found that Series 1 was uneven and like you, I really didn't like a number of the characters, but by mid Series 2 the characters have found their footing and have become much more interesting. Yes, Thomas is skeevy, but for a 19th century poet that would be in character. My least favourite ghost initially was Mary but even she's grown on me as the show progresses. The only character I truly dislike is Allison's husband, Mike. He's an utter idiot and played as if he has the IQ of a small soap dish. He's not fun to watch and contributes very little positive energy to the show. Jay is the anti-Mike. A talented chef and a really cool guy.

I'm currently midway through Series 4 (I watch one a week) and it absolutely gets better IMHO. What I find is the more sentimental episodes are done better by the British ensemble, but the U.S. (well, technically the Canadian) version's cast is more well-rounded. I enjoy them both for what they are.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Babalu06 said:

@Skooma- it’s funny that your favorite ghost (Robin) and least favorite ghost (Headless Humphrey) are both played by 
Laurence Rickard (who actually only plays Humphrey’s head; the body is portrayed by another actor).

Actually I said my least favorite ghost by light years is Thomas. Many MANY light years.

And Headless has nothing to do with the actor which I know plays both but with the concept.  I'd rather see Headless have his head back and be the "wordsmith" character because Elizabethan times are far more interesting and he could go around accusing both Shakespeare and Marlowe of cribbing from him while speaking in the Elizabethan English of the day and in iambic pentameter to boot.  Then make Thomas "headless" and throw him out with the trash.

1 hour ago, NJRadioGuy said:

@Skooma, I found that Series 1 was uneven and like you, I really didn't like a number of the characters, but by mid Series 2 the characters have found their footing and have become much more interesting. Yes, Thomas is skeevy, but for a 19th century poet that would be in character. My least favourite ghost initially was Mary but even she's grown on me as the show progresses. The only character I truly dislike is Allison's husband, Mike. He's an utter idiot and played as if he has the IQ of a small soap dish. He's not fun to watch and contributes very little positive energy to the show. Jay is the anti-Mike. A talented chef and a really cool guy.

I'm currently midway through Series 4 (I watch one a week) and it absolutely gets better IMHO. What I find is the more sentimental episodes are done better by the British ensemble, but the U.S. (well, technically the Canadian) version's cast is more well-rounded. I enjoy them both for what they are.

Well I've now got one more episode to go in Season 2.  Still hate Thomas except for the scenes of his demise episode.  Rooted for his cousin all the way.  If cousin Francis hadn't pulled it off Thomas would have squandered away Button House cause he was a lousy poet and too lazy to get a real job.  Also I guess that means I don't care a fig about 19th century English poets so whether he is accurate or not doesn't effect me and my loathing for the character.

I do TOTALLY agree with you about Mike.  If possible the writers have made him even worse in Season 2.  Not only have they made him dumber but also the physical labor guy while Alison has the brains and runs the whole thing.  Mike is like her slow-witted sidekick more than an equal marriage partner.

And again after two seasons he is still scared and creeped out about the ghosts?  Never seems to want to interact with them?  Yeah, three cheers for Jay who is indeed the anti-Mike in each and every way.

But I'm now kind of viewing UK Ghosts as the rough draft of US Ghosts as in the US Ghosts writers (ghost writers, hee hee) get to tweak and fix mistakes like Thomas and Mike having the advantage of hindsight.

Forgot to tag this quote from Mabinogia (giving credit here to poster):

I am curious how old she's meant to be when she died. She comes across as very young, but being sheltered would contribute to that, but I still think of her as in her teens.

This is about Kitty and my continued dislike of same.  And I think one of the main reasons is the above.  She looks to be well into her 20's to me and still thinks rubbing ears together makes babies.  If she was a child or even an early teen ghost I wouldn't mind her persona so much but she is an adult and so to me looks downright dumb as opposed to innocent.  So I respectfully disagree with the number of Kitty fans here because of the age thing.

Also the fact that the only two characters of color are portrayed as being pretty dumb is not a good look for this UK version.  This would never fly in a US version fortunately.

And I still don't know Kitty's background.  Maybe they handle that in a future episode I haven't seen yet but she pre-dates the 1820's because she was a ghost before Thomas became one in that decade.  Now the British didn't ban the slave trade until 1807 yet she isn't dressed poorly like a slave or even a freed servant so I have no idea who she was suppose to be.  Just nothing makes sense about her character to me.  I know what the other character were basically while living but nothing about her in two seasons so far.

Also footnote-wise, weirdly I never learned what either Alison or Mike both did for work before inheriting Button House.

I'm loving the discussion here BTW and I hope I haven't offended the several Kitty fans here by not liking her.  Robin continues as my favorite as he saves the day while idiot Mike cowers during the robbery episode.  Liked the Captain flashback episode too and Julian continues as a favorite because who doesn't love swarmy, selfish politicians, haha. 

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Skooma said:

Julian continues as a favorite because who doesn't love swarmy, selfish politicians, haha. 

(raises hand as high as possible) Julian and Fanny are my tie for most hated characters living or dead. I totally agree with Mike though. Jay is lightyears better. Mike is completely useless. I adore Jay and Sam's relationship and while I do adore Alison (might be my girl crush on Charlotte Richie) I don't care about her and Mike as a couple. 

• Like 3
4 hours ago, Skooma said:

And I still don't know Kitty's background.  Maybe they handle that in a future episode I haven't seen yet but she pre-dates the 1820's because she was a ghost before Thomas became one in that decade.  Now the British didn't ban the slave trade until 1807 yet she isn't dressed poorly like a slave or even a freed servant so I have no idea who she was suppose to be.  Just nothing makes sense about her character to me.  I know what the other character were basically while living but nothing about her in two seasons so far.

I think Kitty is a member of the upper class based on how she’s dressed and her flashback episodes, from the late 1700’s/early 1800’s. I assume she’s meant to be an expy of Dido Elizabeth Belle, who was born to an enslaved mother and wealthy English father in the American colonies, raised by her paternal uncle in England and occupied a very precarious position in upper class society, due to the combination of her race and parentage. There’s a biopic called Belle starring Gugu Mbatha-Raw that I think is about ten years old that tells a fictionalized version of her life. 

• Like 3
  • Useful 6
On 1/7/2023 at 12:40 PM, Skooma said:

Actually I said my least favorite ghost by light years is Thomas. Many MANY light years.

And Headless has nothing to do with the actor which I know plays both but with the concept.  I'd rather see Headless have his head back and be the "wordsmith" character because Elizabethan times are far more interesting and he could go around accusing both Shakespeare and Marlowe of cribbing from him while speaking in the Elizabethan English of the day and in iambic pentameter to boot.  Then make Thomas "headless" and throw him out with the trash…….

I'm loving the discussion here BTW and I hope I haven't offended the several Kitty fans here by not liking her.  Robin continues as my favorite as he saves the day while idiot Mike cowers during the robbery episode.  Liked the Captain flashback episode too and Julian continues as a favorite because who doesn't love swarmy, selfish politicians, haha. 

I’ve gotta check my reading comprehension. Also, I didn’t mean to imply you didn’t know it was the same actor, just that the actor is so versatile that he plays a character you love and a character you dislike. (I didn’t understand before that you didn’t like how the character is being used.)

I do agree with you that Thomas is my least favorite ghost, and it has caused me to dislike the actor. I was dismayed that, of all the U.K. actors, he was the one to appear in the U.S. version. I also agree that Robin is my favorite, though it took me quite a while to realize it. What really sold me was the improv lesson (“Yes, and….no.”) Mary has become my second favorite.

• Like 1

Well I finally binged it all to date including the extra Christmas episode in Season 4 which was sweet.  Except for Mike ignoring the stage where you know Jay would be staring at to him the same "empty" stage but while whispering back and forth to Sam as to what was going on.  I'm glad the US writers developed Jay in a far superior way.  Really wish my fav Robin hadn't heroically saved Mike under that tree.

I enjoyed the series a lot though I still see it as a foundation the US series has built up from as in getting rid of a horrible, lovelorn Thomas persona and improving dumb Mike to cool Jay.  Also NOT having everyone shouting all over everyone else even when Alison isn't around.  That is terribly annoying to me.  No wonder the ghost across the fence couldn't stand them, hah.  Well except for wise Robin that is.

I take it the actor playing Mary just wanted to move on and her leaving ("sucked off") was well handled.  Loved Pat's explanations to Kitty about where Mary went too.

If it was a competition I'd still take the US version as the better one but happily it isn't sports and I can truly say I enjoyed (am enjoying) both series.

• Like 1
18 hours ago, Skooma said:

If it was a competition I'd still take the US version as the better one but happily it isn't sports and I can truly say I enjoyed (am enjoying) both series.

Yep. I like them both for different reasons and fortunately they both exist in the world. There can't be too many Ghosts! Though I wouldn't mind a few of the UK ones being sucked off and replaced by better ghosts. 

• Like 3
On 12/28/2022 at 4:32 PM, Ilovepie said:

I like that in the American version the house wasn't so far gone and they keep finding things on the estate to help pay for the repairs, where on the British one it just seems like a total decrepit money pit with no way to pay for the repairs.

I do understand what you are saying about the house.  However, the UK series is filmed at an actual manor house and there is absolutely no way they could ignore the fact that such an enormous estate is a money pit.   The British series had a scene at the end of series 1 where the ghosts thought they had discovered a solution to  Alison/Mike's financial difficulties only for the plan to collapse.  And honestly, that just made it funnier.  It was one of Fanny's best scenes IMO.  YMMV.  

The American series borrowed that idea with the antique watch in 'The Vault' but made it profitable for Sam/Jay.  Even though it was a great episode -one of the best of season 1, its plot devices feel a little too convenient in hindsight.  Everything always works out for Sam/Jay in the end, and that's just how American shows are.  But too many happy endings make it harder for me to suspend my disbelief.  

I'm American but lived in the UK.  A lot of people don't get how different the writing is between UK and American TV  or why this is so.  The US is fantasy/escapism driven, but UK shows are writer driven.  Advertisers don't fund the production of UK shows; TV taxes pay for most of it.  Everyone who owns a TV in the UK pays an annual license fee, and this money is then used to produce their shows.  The writers have more freedom because advertisers don't control content.  A good example is the difference between US and UK soap operas.  American soaps center around the 'beautiful people' --rich, glamorous, scandalous,  but the UK soaps are about the working or middle class.   I can't really speak for differences in the plot lines of either soaps because I hate melodrama.  But anyone who wants "feel-good" escapism won't find UK shows very satisfying. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
On 1/7/2023 at 9:40 AM, Skooma said:

Robin continues as my favorite as he saves the day

I kind of agree - he was my least favorite the first couple of episodes, but I think in terms of his character arc, he's become more interesting and funny. When he howled for the "bitches" to help with the robbery laughed so hard! I also loved his moon landing conspiracy and laying in front of the fireplace like a dog in the Christmas episode.  I feel like a lot of the other ghosts in the UK version haven't really evolved much since episode one. Fanny is funny to me for her Edwardian fussiness, but it's pretty one note. And although Thomas is annoying, I will never not laugh at him dancing. I found a gif of that and it's become a favorite of mine ;-p

41 minutes ago, TruffleHog said:

I do understand what you are saying about the house.  However, the UK series is filmed at an actual manor house and there is absolutely no way they could ignore the fact that such an enormous estate is a money pit. 

The state of the house is part of the plot on both shows, but that house is just soooo junky. The exterior is cool, but the inside seems much more decrepit than the American counterpart. I do appreciate that Alison had to go get an outside job (did Mike? I don't remember). Sam has continued to pursue her writing which is an outside source of income on the American version. Mike seems much more useless than Jay who at least was given a profession that he uses in running their B&B.....

46 minutes ago, TruffleHog said:

The American series borrowed that idea with the antique watch in 'The Vault' but made it profitable for Sam/Jay.  Even though it was a great episode -one of the best of season 1, its plot devices feel a little too convenient in hindsight.  Everything always works out for Sam/Jay in the end, and that's just how American shows are.  But too many happy endings make it harder for me to suspend my disbelief.  

I watch a lot of British tv, and I do agree that they are often tonally different. I like the kind of gothic tone of the UK version more than the bright cheeriness of the American version, but on both shows, there have been wins and losses.

• Like 1

I started the English one in 2021, when I first got HBO for a good price. I didn't get very far into it. I've wanted to watch the American one, because I like Rose McIver, but I wanted to finish the English one first. 

• Useful 1
4 hours ago, Anela said:

I started the English one in 2021, when I first got HBO for a good price. I didn't get very far into it. I've wanted to watch the American one, because I like Rose McIver, but I wanted to finish the English one first. 

Hah! I’m the opposite! 
I started the new, American version  
(also because of Rose McIver, so not opposite there).
Then I started watching the British version (when I got HBO access) but started worrying about being spoiled, so decided I’d wait until the US version was over before going back to the original, British version.  
I guess it might be some years. 
But, also, I recall not liking the British one as much——so maybe not so opposite about that either.😉

• Useful 1
On 1/12/2023 at 4:44 PM, Ilovepie said:

The state of the house is part of the plot on both shows, but that house is just soooo junky. The exterior is cool, but the inside seems much more decrepit than the American counterpart. I do appreciate that Alison had to go get an outside job (did Mike? I don't remember). Sam has continued to pursue her writing which is an outside source of income on the American version. Mike seems much more useless than Jay who at least was given a profession that he uses in running their B&B.....

Edit:  Sorry if any of this comes across as pedantic.

Both Mike and Alison worked at the gooseberry farm.  And Mike got a job (and subsequent promotion) after being fired from  insurance telemarketing.  It's in series 3, episodes 2 and 4.  Mike didn't have a lot to do in series 1, but the writers gave him a lot more material as the series progressed.  Kiell (Mike) is a really funny actor, and its hilarious to watch him "fight" with Julian as the ghost ruthlessly antagonizes him.

Reading about the history of West Horsley Place (Button House) *might* influence your view of the house.  Initially, I preferred the looks of the move-in-ready CBS sets, but after learning about the history of WHP and seeing photos of its true interiors and grounds, I changed my mind.  (The set designers make it look more decrepit than it truly is). The house, itself, is as fascinating and colorful as any of the ghosts, and the writers have included its historical details in some storylines.  "Henry the VIII once dined here..."  He did in fact dine there and a few years later, in a fit of paranoia, executed his cousin, Henry Courtenay, who had hosted him.  

Other interesting facts.  During renovations, they uncovered an executioner's axe and the velvet bag that was used to transport Sir Walter Raleigh's severed head.  The axe and SWR's execution are not connected however.  Sir Walter Raleigh's son lived at WHP, and his mother was gifted her husband's severed head inside of a red velvet bag after the execution.  She had the head embalmed and carried it with her inside the velvet pouch.

https://www.westhorsleyplace.org/the-house-history

Edited by TruffleHog
  • Useful 5
On 4/22/2022 at 5:22 PM, TruffleHog said:

And sometimes Fanny, but she is so wickedly funny that I barely notice the unpleasantness.  

She is? I find her annoying and boring. Sure, all of them at various times have some great lines, but overall my general impression of her is the actress tries too hard with the whole pushed back chin thing that's meant to I guess make her look either unattractive or stuffy, and she just got no redeeming quality that makes me even love to hate her. 

I usually prefer British to US versions of shows but this is the rare case where I far prefer the US version. i can watch it over and over while with the UK version I'm more one and done. I watch it and I enjoy it while I'm watching it but I don't feel any compelling desire to go back to eps I've already seen. 

• Like 3
  • Wink 1
1 hour ago, Mabinogia said:

She is? I find her annoying and boring. Sure, all of them at various times have some great lines, but overall my general impression of her is the actress tries too hard with the whole pushed back chin thing that's meant to I guess make her look either unattractive or stuffy, and she just got no redeeming quality that makes me even love to hate her. 

I usually prefer British to US versions of shows but this is the rare case where I far prefer the US version. i can watch it over and over while with the UK version I'm more one and done. I watch it and I enjoy it while I'm watching it but I don't feel any compelling desire to go back to eps I've already seen. 

Have you watched the series 3 Christmas episode, "He Came"?  It gave more of Fanny's background and showed how sympathetic and reasonable she can be.  Even if her character hadn't undergone that new development, I'd still love her. Over the top or not, she still makes me laugh as do Trevor and Isaac, who have similarly strong theatrical personalities.

I've watched both versions multiple times, but find myself reaching for the UK series more.  BBC Ghosts has a lot of subtle jokes and references that I often miss on first viewing.

• Like 1

What I do love about the UK version is the distinctiveness of the settings, and the ghosts seem to be stuck in loops/habits in different ways. They are less like living people. I am differently sympathetic to them.

The background of US is almost always the house, as a fledgling hotel. In the UK we’ve had wild party, film set, wedding, camping, telework… It’s definitely more interesting. The US version is more loveable.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
On 1/15/2023 at 9:08 AM, TruffleHog said:

And Mike got a job (and subsequent promotion) after being fired from  insurance telemarketing.  It's in series 3, episodes 2 and 4.

Ah - I haven't gotten that far - we just finished season 2. I am glad they gave him more to do - he comes across as fairly dim the first season. I am glad they are making him not so dumb.....

Reading about the history of West Horsley Place (Button House) *might* influence your view of the house.  Initially, I preferred the looks of the move-in-ready CBS sets, but after learning about the history of WHP and seeing photos of its true interiors and grounds, I changed my mind.  (The set designers make it look more decrepit than it truly is). The house, itself, is as fascinating and colorful as any of the ghosts, and the writers have included its historical details in some storylines.  "Henry the VIII once dined here..."  He did in fact dine there and a few years later, in a fit of paranoia, executed his cousin, Henry Courtenay, who had hosted him.  

Other interesting facts.  During renovations, they uncovered an executioner's axe and the velvet bag that was used to transport Sir Walter Raleigh's severed head.  The axe and SWR's execution are not connected however.  Sir Walter Raleigh's son lived at WHP, and his mother was gifted her husband's severed head inside of a red velvet bag after the execution.  She had the head embalmed and carried it with her inside the velvet pouch.

That is cool - I might go check it out. I don't doubt that the house in real life is much cooler than the American version. My issue with the state of the house is much like your feeling like everything works out too easily for the Americans - I find it completely unbelievable that they could use the house for weddings or events in it's current state and it kind of takes me out because it's just not believable to me.

• Like 4
On 1/29/2023 at 12:06 PM, iMonrey said:

Is there anywhere us Americans can watch Series 4 here in the states? 1 thru 3 are available on HBO Max but they don't seem to have any plans to add Series 4.

I watched most of series 4 on DailyMotion.  But be warned, there are a lot of commercials that interrupt mid-scene.  I decided to wait until Amazon Prime releases it to finish the series.  I prefer watching on my TV without interruptions.

Here is a link to the first episode of series 4.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x8e6feu

• Useful 2

Kiell (Mike) is a really funny actor, and its hilarious to watch him "fight" with Julian as the ghost ruthlessly antagonizes him.

Ok, finally got there and omg - the "kisses" emails getting out of control was hysterical. Less hysterical, Mikes inability to put up a tent or make a fire safely thus continuing his dim bulb status (and yes, I know Alison got help from the ghosts, but still, the writers love making him look dumb).....

• Like 2

I can't stand how dumb Mike is made in this series.  It got to the downright offensive level for me by the end of Season 4.  Jay is written light years better.  (I found Season 4 on Soulseek myself).

• Like 1
On 2/17/2023 at 2:23 PM, Skooma said:

I can't stand how dumb Mike is made in this series.  It got to the downright offensive level for me by the end of Season 4.  Jay is written light years better.  (I found Season 4 on Soulseek myself).

Thank you - I absolutely cannot stand Mike and think he is the weak link of the British show. it doesn't help that he and Alison have zero chemistry.  Jay is a much, much better character. 

• Like 3
On 1/14/2023 at 7:05 AM, shapeshifter said:

Hah! I’m the opposite! 
I started the new, American version  
(also because of Rose McIver, so not opposite there).
Then I started watching the British version (when I got HBO access) but started worrying about being spoiled, so decided I’d wait until the US version was over before going back to the original, British version.  
I guess it might be some years. 
But, also, I recall not liking the British one as much——so maybe not so opposite about that either.😉

FYI nobody can be spoiled by seeing one series first versus the other.   The only episode that was pretty similar was Pete's/Pat's  wife one. 

And they are the only two ghosts that are almost entirely identical.  The others, though some can be lined up roughly with a counterpart, are not truly identical.  For example, not even Issac and the Major are the same since Issac isn't really as "military" as the Major and is just as much more the diplomat/politician so he takes a chunk out of another British ghost, the politician. 

Nor are the plots the same.  Nor the progress of the young livings making a go at things.  No real spoilers if you see either one first or later accept the Pete's/Pat's wife episode really.  And even that is different in that Pete has a deeper story line with the concept of struggling with then accepting forgiveness etc.

Also don't forget the main US/UK Ghosts comparison thread:  https://forums.primetimer.com/topic/122887-comparison-with-the-uk-show/page/2/#comment-7890484

Edited by Skooma
  • Thanks 1
  • Useful 2
On 1/14/2023 at 2:55 AM, Anela said:

Sorry, forgot to include both quotes in my reply above.  There is no over all story line other than the "livings" couple trying to make a B&B/small hotel and Sam/Allison seeing the ghosts.  But how these things are going on vary radically from show to show. 

Except for the one episode cited above there isn't all that much copying from one series to the other.  You cannot be spoiled by holding off watching the American series at all.  All you can do by waiting is miss the best show on American TV at this point imo.

• Like 1
  • Useful 2

I started watching Ghosts (US) a few weeks ago after its strong showing in the spring Primetimer Awards here and enjoyed it much more than I expected to. When I finished both seasons, I was looking for another half-hour comedy and decided to give Ghosts (UK) a try. I'm almost through S2 of the original at this point.

I like each of them in a different way. The US version is charming, amusing and often heartwarming. The UK version is edgier and a bit darker, but often has me laughing out loud. I'd say that I get at least one really good belly laugh per UK episode. During the first few episodes, I didn't really care for Robin and felt a definite preference for Thorfinn as the comparable character, but later episodes proved me wrong and I've come to greatly enjoy Robin.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

Just saw the first two episodes of the UK show last night, and overall, I was not as thrilled with it.  There were a few things I found funny, like the basement ghosts trying to tell the husband how to fix boiler and getting frustrated when he just hit it with a hammer and how all the other ghosts were creeped out by plague girl.  Who was, indeed, creepy.  And I like Charlotte Ritchie and Ben Willbond a lot.

But most of the ghosts were not nearly as good as the US ones, especially Fanny who was and will never be the equal of Hetty, imo.  And I disliked how the husband was pretty much incompetent at everything.  Jay has his weaknesses, like DIY stuff, but he has his strengths too.

From what I've read, the tone for the show is much less upbeat than the US version, which is disappointing to me.  I don't need everything to be happy and cheerful, but I don't generally care for shows where the main characters never get serious successes to go along with the failures.  (Which is why I would not have continued to watch Bad Move if it had continued after season 2.)  I'll keep watching, because I realize two episodes are really not enough to make a considered judgment, but I definitely prefer the US version and look forward to it coming back.

• Like 4
On 1/12/2023 at 4:16 PM, TruffleHog said:

I'm American but lived in the UK.  A lot of people don't get how different the writing is between UK and American TV  or why this is so.  The US is fantasy/escapism driven, but UK shows are writer driven.

I lived in the UK for six months and I've spent decades watching British shows of many ilks.  I don't actually entirely agree with your description of US shows being fantasy/escapism driven - a lot depends on the type of show.  But I do get the difference.  I just find the relentlessly downbeat tone to be less enjoyable long-term, so I'm hoping this changes a least a little over the course of the UK show.  It doesn't have to be cotton candy and rainbows, but I have a much lower tolerance for hangdog, embarrassment-based comedy in general.

• Like 2

I just saw the first two episodes of the UK versions too. I'm going to keep watching but I prefer the US version too. So far, the US ghosts seem more lovable. Maybe it's because I'm more familiar with American mannerisms. Also on a shallow note, I prefer seeing Trevor without pants than Julian, LOL. I assume Trevor is a mash up of Julian and the Shakespeare guy? I don't know all their names yet.

• Like 2