Type keyword(s) to search

Ghosts: Comparing the Characters, History & Humour in the UK and US Comedies

AngieBee1
  • Start Topic

9 hours ago, Snow Apple said:

I assume Trevor is a mash up of Julian and the Shakespeare guy? I don't know all their names yet.

There was an article on TV Line recently explaining who all the characters in the UK version were, and how they compare to their U.S. counterparts, or which UK characters the U.S. ones are based on:

https://tvline.com/lists/ghosts-uk-vs-us-characters-cbs-bbc/

I liked the British version, myself. I was struck by the genuinely creepy elements in that version that aren't so much there in the U.S. one, and it was fun to play compare/contrast with the dialogue that stayed the same across both series, and see how different each line sounded depending on who said it and how. I think each show's tone works for their respective series. 

And I liked the characters themselves, too. I'm looking forward to getting to know them and their backstories further. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 1

Thanks Annber03! That list helps a lot. I thought Mary was a plague victim and wondered why she wasn't in the basement (I thought she was the UK version of Nancy) but the list shows she's from the witch trials.

Glad to see the UK headless guy shows up more than the US version.

• Like 1

I've only seen the first ep so far, but they did mention that the one ghost was from witch trials.  One of the other ghosts wanted her to talk about that instead of whatever else she was boring them with.

I can't really say if I like the UK version as much as the USA one ...  I'm missing my Trevor eye candy ...  but I like it.  It's too early to judge yet.  I loved the US version right away, but maybe the UK one didn't capture me as fast because the premise wasn't as "new" to me.

• Like 1
17 hours ago, Snow Apple said:

So far, the US ghosts seem more lovable.

That's not an accident. American versions are always more warm and fuzzy. British sitcoms don't feel the need to make all their characters "lovable" like American sitcoms do. Probably the most successful Britcom ever is "Ab Fab" where the two leads are absolutely awful people.

I like both versions of Ghosts. It's really apples and oranges. But if I'm honest I'd have to say the writing for the British version is smarter. There's a lot of overlapping dialogue and things you have to go back and watch a second time for. The American version is dumbed down a bit in terms of dialogue.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, Johannah said:

I've only seen the first ep so far, but they did mention that the one ghost was from witch trials.  One of the other ghosts wanted her to talk about that instead of whatever else she was boring them with.

I'm sure they mentioned Mary from from the witch trials but there were too many characters and it went too fast for me. I probably need to watch more episodes to get to know everybody and their situation.

I was also confused what Fanny's deal was until I realized she was reliving her death each night. She seems more terrified of her husband than Hetty was of hers. I haven't read any spoiler so I'm wondering if her husband will show up like the US version. 

6 hours ago, iMonrey said:

That's not an accident. American versions are always more warm and fuzzy. British sitcoms don't feel the need to make all their characters "lovable" like American sitcoms do. Probably the most successful Britcom ever is "Ab Fab" where the two leads are absolutely awful people.

I love AbFab! Poor Saffy, LOL. American sitcoms are not always warm and fuzzy, but I think in this case, I watched the US version first and can't help comparing the two. AbFab didn't have a US version so I loved their awful and hilarious characters with a clean slate.

11 minutes ago, Snow Apple said:

AbFab didn't have a US version so I loved their awful and hilarious characters with a clean slate.

They tried, it just wasn't any good. I LOVE UK Patsy and Eddie. They never failed to make me laugh. I think it's they are such aweful people it's funny when things go wrong for them. (I love both actresses in the US version but it just didn't work).

Ghosts is one of the rare UK shows that was remade in US and actually works. A lot of times UK humour doesn't really translate. I think it was smart of US Ghosts to go with a warmer, more family vibe with the ghosts. Trying to reproduce the original in it's original form just doesn't seem to work. I think it's the accents. British wit just doesn't sound the same with American accents. 

One of my favorite British comedies was Coupling. They did a US version using the exact same script and I didn't laugh once. I thought it might be because I'd seen the UK ep so many times I was over it. But I went back and watched the UK first ep and laughed my ass off. It really showed me how important casting is. 

As to Ghosts. I love both versions. To me neither one is technically better than the other. Both have great writing, a stellar cast, all the pieces are there. It's just a matter of which type of humour you are looking for. I think When I was younger I would have preferred the UK version but these days I just want feel good TV so prefer the warm fuzzy vibe of the US version. 

• Like 3
4 minutes ago, Mabinogia said:

They tried, it just wasn't any good. I LOVE UK Patsy and Eddie. They never failed to make me laugh. I think it's they are such aweful people it's funny when things go wrong for them. (I love both actresses in the US version but it just didn't work).

I can't really explain why or how, but the Brits seem to have mastered how to make awful unlikable characters funny.  In the US it feels like they either soften them too much or they just come off as total assholes.

• Like 4
  • Useful 1
1 hour ago, Lugal said:

I can't really explain why or how, but the Brits seem to have mastered how to make awful unlikable characters funny.  In the US it feels like they either soften them too much or they just come off as total assholes.

Absolutely! Basil Fawlty anyone?! I know it was John Cleese, but still… Basil was awful…and hilarious 

• Like 4

Has anyone watched seasons 4 and/or 5 of the UK version on streaming in the US?  If so, where? 

I watched the first 3 seasons when they were on MAX, but they've vanished like a ghost - I assume they went to Paramount Plus but I don't currently have a subscription.  If it has all 5 seasons it might be time to look for a black Friday deal.

Or, any insider info on how many episodes/seasons CBS is planning to broadcast?

• Useful 1

I just watched the first two episodes of the UK show, and like it, but so far the caveman (love Alison calling him "Budget Tarzan") is doing nothing for me but making me miss Thor.  I miss "Landship!" when cars arrive.  I hope I wind up liking him as the series progresses.

• Like 2
6 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

Has anyone watched seasons 4 and/or 5 of the UK version on streaming in the US?  If so, where? 

I watched the first 3 seasons when they were on MAX, but they've vanished like a ghost - I assume they went to Paramount Plus but I don't currently have a subscription.  If it has all 5 seasons it might be time to look for a black Friday deal.

Seasons 4-5 are on Dailymotion.com.  I think I read somewhere CBS will show the 1st 3 seasons of Ghosts UK.

• Useful 3
44 minutes ago, sharmar said:

Seasons 4-5 are on Dailymotion.com.  I think I read somewhere CBS will show the 1st 3 seasons of Ghosts UK.

Oh excellent. Any tips on navigating that site? I see you need to use a browser without an ad blocker. I searched for “ghosts uk” and was able to find s4e1 in the results, but is there a better way to see a show season by season?

• Like 1
20 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

Oh excellent. Any tips on navigating that site? I see you need to use a browser without an ad blocker. I searched for “ghosts uk” and was able to find s4e1 in the results, but is there a better way to see a show season by season?

I have an ad blocker & can still use the site.  Search "GHosts 2019" or "UK Ghosts."  I found all the eppys for Series 4-5 & added them to my Favorites.

• Like 1

Regarding the British version, I've watched all but the final two episodes and I do enjoy them both. I find the UK version has more uncomfortable or downright cringeworthy "sitcom-ish" moments, but when they decide to get sentimental they pull out all the stops and vastly out-do the American version. Mike (the husband) is portrayed as an utter moron in the British version. I vastly prefer Jay. I like both Allison (UK) and Sam (US) equally. I think I like British Pat more than Pete, mostly because when they did the family visit episode in the British version it was far more poignant and sentimental.

I get a kick out of Lady Button, but I despise her sour expression. Hetty is far more likeable but both work well in their respective settings. Trevor and Julian both work very well and I love them both. Isaac is a mashup between the Captain and Thomas, and frankly I think Isaac works better than both the two individuals, although the Captain is wonderfully silly in a way that Isaac isn't. Thomas is my least favourite character on the BritVersion. Thorfinn and Robin are both gems and I love them both. There is no UK equivalent to Flower, and no American version of Mary; between the two of them I prefer Mary, just because Flower still hasn't found her voice in the US show, and Mary's character grew nicely. Kitty is the British version of Alberta, and both are tremendous in their similar roles. I love them both. Kitty is much younger, very naïve, and a sweet, gentle soul whereas Alberta is is smart, tough and world-wise. They both work brilliantly, but in the more sentimental scenes, Kitty melts your heart.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

There's really no similarity between Kitty and Alberta (other than both characters being black women), or between Kitty and Flower. Kitty, Thomas and the Captain are uniquely British characters. 

Pat and Pete are obviously 1 to 1 matches. Julian and Trevor are also closely matched in terms of pantlessness and ghost power. Hetty and Lady Button are also very similar. Robin and Thor have the same ghost power but nothing else in common. I think Flower, Alberta and Isaac are probably uniquely American.

Look closely if you haven't caught it: the actor playing Robin is the same actor playing Humphrey's head.

Also, the same actors playing the main upstairs ghosts are playing the basement ghosts. I wish the American version did that. 

The actors who play Lady Button, Thomas, the Captain, Robin, Julian and Pat also created and write the UK version.

• Mind Blown 1
  • Useful 1

The UK episode when Pat's family comes to visit (and he finds out about the affair, and the grandchild named after him) felt a little rushed compared to the US episode where Pete gets the same story, but it was still moving.  In both series, it was the first time a story made me tear up a little amidst the laughter.

• Like 2

I kind of feel bad. It seems viewers teared up at Pat's story but I didn't feel emotional like I did with Pete. Maybe because I saw Pete's first or maybe it's because Pat's wife and her new husband didn't have speaking roles like the US version. I don't know. I can't put my finger on it.

I felt for Allison when the ghosts made her look bad in front of the construction workers forcing her to imply that one of them stole her ring. 

I like the 4th episode better. I guess it's because there wasn't a US episode to compare it to. There were elements incorporated, like how the UK version was filming a historical drama and the US was filming a reenactments of dumb deaths, and the Bryon/Hamilton rivalries, but they weren't distracting like straight up obvious comparisons. 

Edited by Snow Apple
  • Like 3
1 hour ago, Snow Apple said:

I kind of feel bad. It seems viewers teared up at Pat's story but I didn't feel emotional like I did with Pete. Maybe because I saw Pete's first or maybe it's because Pat's wife and her new husband didn't have speaking roles like the US version. I don't know. I can't put my finger on it.

I didn't cry for Pat but did for Pete as well, but I saw UK first. For me, I just don't care about the UK ghosts in the same emotional way I do the US ghosts.

With the US version, the ghosts feel like people and I can connect with them emotionally. With the UK version they feel like charactures and I can laugh at their antics but at the end of the day I just don't care as much what happens to them. They just don't feel real to me. 

For me that is the fundamental difference between the two versions. Both are good at what they do, they are telling different stories from the same basic premise. I'm glad that they both exist.

• Like 5
  • Useful 1
12 hours ago, Snow Apple said:

I felt for Allison when the ghosts made her look bad in front of the construction workers forcing her to imply that one of them stole her ring. 

I don't get that.  Why did she look bad?  The ring was in the guy's case.  I would have thought that justified her accusation.  Just because the guy said he didn't know how it got there?  That's exactly what a thief would say.  I'm glad he didn't really get in trouble, but I have no idea why everyone blamed and got mad at her.

• Useful 1
12 minutes ago, Johannah said:

I don't get that.  Why did she look bad?  The ring was in the guy's case.  I would have thought that justified her accusation.  Just because the guy said he didn't know how it got there?  That's exactly what a thief would say.  I'm glad he didn't really get in trouble, but I have no idea why everyone blamed and got mad at her.

Because, while to her, she "knew" it was stolen (as that's what the ghosts told her they saw happen), to them, when she found her ring missing, she immediately assumed one of them stole it, rather than just saying her ring was missing, she set it on the workbench in X room, did anyone see it?  (In which case the guy whose toolbox it was in could have realized "I just pulled my toolbox out from under there; I didn't see it, but let me see if maybe it got knocked into my box".)

• Like 3
12 hours ago, Bastet said:

Because, while to her, she "knew" it was stolen (as that's what the ghosts told her they saw happen), to them, when she found her ring missing, she immediately assumed one of them stole it, rather than just saying her ring was missing, she set it on the workbench in X room, did anyone see it?  (In which case the guy whose toolbox it was in could have realized "I just pulled my toolbox out from under there; I didn't see it, but let me see if maybe it got knocked into my box".)

So, maybe she jumped to a conclusion and it was wrong to assume thievery, but when the ring WAS found in the worker's box, it would appear that she was right.  We may know differently, but it seemed everyone got mad at HER after the ring was found where it would have been if it was stolen.  It's like, if I'm at your house and stole your ring and put it in my pocket.  You accuse me and then you find the ring in MY pocket and everyone gets mad at YOU?  For being right?  

Again, WE all know it was planted, and I'm glad the worker didn't get in trouble, but it doesn't make sense that just because he said it must have fallen in, that there wasn't a little suspicion or at least some sympathy for her and "hey, glad we found your ring".  Instead, everyone was mad at her and the foreman canceled the job?

• Useful 1

As noted defiantly has more sinister undertones than US version.It was uncomfortable watching episode 2 when they tried to drive UK Sam out.Don't like any of the ghosts but one. I actually wouldn't mind swapping out the jazz singer for her UK counterpart who I like for her good humour/nature. Who would you swap if you could?

2 hours ago, Johannah said:

Again, WE all know it was planted, and I'm glad the worker didn't get in trouble, but it doesn't make sense that just because he said it must have fallen in, that there wasn't a little suspicion or at least some sympathy for her and "hey, glad we found your ring".  Instead, everyone was mad at her and the foreman canceled the job?

Seemed like the foreman had it out for her. The mere accusation against his workers' morality was an insult he took personally. 

1 hour ago, North of Eden said:

I actually wouldn't mind swapping out the jazz singer for her UK counterpart who I like for her good humour/nature. Who would you swap if you could?

Alberta doesn't really have a counterpart in the UK version, if you are referring to Kitty. They are from completely different eras, backgrounds, etc. Both are black women wearing red but that's about it. 

I don't know that I would want to swap any of the characters, as most of them are either uniquely British or American, and deliberately so. I think Mary could potentially be in either version, and obviously Pat or Pete.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

Seemed like the foreman had it out for her. The mere accusation against his workers' morality was an insult he took personally. 

Alberta doesn't really have a counterpart in the UK version, if you are referring to Kitty. They are from completely different eras, backgrounds, etc. Both are black women wearing red but that's about it. 

I don't know that I would want to swap any of the characters, as most of them are either uniquely British or American, and deliberately so. I think Mary could potentially be in either version, and obviously Pat or Pete.

Yes Kitty thanks....I didn't know what her name was or what era or what her distinction was like soldier, poet etc. I just like her a lot better than Alberta and her whole murder mystery/Pete infatuation subplots.

4 hours ago, Johannah said:

So, maybe she jumped to a conclusion and it was wrong to assume thievery, but when the ring WAS found in the worker's box, it would appear that she was right.

Not really -- why would her plausible theory he stole it automatically be right over his equally plausible theory it could have gotten knocked off the bench, especially when his surprise at finding it in the box was obvious?

• Like 1
On 11/24/2023 at 9:21 PM, Bastet said:

The UK episode when Pat's family comes to visit (and he finds out about the affair, and the grandchild named after him) felt a little rushed compared to the US episode where Pete gets the same story, but it was still moving.  In both series, it was the first time a story made me tear up a little amidst the laughter.

For me, the episode fell completely flat because the show had spent so little time with Pat that he barely was a character at all.  I didn't care about his death or about his wife cheating on him, and his barely seen daughter naming her baby after him seemed like an afterthought.

Part of the problem is that there are so many ghosts and so few episodes that very little time gets spent with any of them.  That's something the US version has done much, much better.

On 11/26/2023 at 11:35 AM, North of Eden said:

As noted defiantly has more sinister undertones than US version.It was uncomfortable watching episode 2 when they tried to drive UK Sam out.Don't like any of the ghosts but one. I actually wouldn't mind swapping out the jazz singer for her UK counterpart who I like for her good humour/nature. Who would you swap if you could?

I might swap Mary from the UK version for Nancy.  But even then, probably not.  I don't like most of the UK ghosts at all because they feel like caricatures, not actual characters the way the US ghosts do, with maybe one or two exceptions.

• Like 1
On 11/18/2023 at 6:34 PM, Mabinogia said:

Thanks for posting that.  I had no idea that they tried to make an American version of AbFab.  You are right that it did not work.  At All.  They tried too hard to replicate each character; I don't know if they miscast American "Edina" or perhaps Jennifer Saunders is just in a league or her own and inimitable, but that first scene was just cringey.

Edited by TruffleHog
  • Like 1
On 11/19/2023 at 12:44 PM, SoMuchTV said:

Paramount + is supposedly going to air all 5 UK series, but they are only releasing 2 episodes each week to coincide with the CBS weekly airings.  I'm not sure if I can mention or link this here, but an incredibly kind and sympathetic Brit (on another web forum) shared HQ copies of series 4 and 5 via Google Drive because American fans of the show were denied access to the last 2 series. 

Does anyone know if we can post links to other forums?  Does that violate Primetimer rules?

• Useful 1
On 11/26/2023 at 12:17 PM, iMonrey said:

Yes and I think it was the last straw for him.  Her behavior had been so erratic and she threw a tea cup at his head --well she threw it at Mary, but she is a ghost, so it went straight through her and nearly hit him instead.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

I'll go on record as really enjoying the episodes they ran on CBS last night.  Either I'm getting used to the tone or, more likely, fewer ghosts were featured so there was more room for their characters to breathe.  For example, I really felt for Robin when he was talking about the moon being all that was left from when he was alive.  I almost teared up at that point.  Mary watching the pheasant and the stew burn up because she didn't know what she was supposed to be watching for was quite funny.  And the Captain suggesting that Kitty tell Alison to have the basement dug up for a pool, knowing damned well about the human remains there was both diabolical and hysterical.  I mean, on the US version I'm assuming the cholera ghosts' bodies were decently buried elsewhere, but building over a plague pit was not uncommon in Europe.  The hotel woman's reaction was what mine would've been, though, because that's one of my worst nightmares.

• Like 3
22 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

Mary watching the pheasant and the stew burn up because she didn't know what she was supposed to be watching for was quite funny. 

My favorite bit was Alison thinking Mary could help her cheat at cards by telling her what the neighbor was holding, and then Mary being utterly unable to read cards. Mary is definitely one of my favorite ghosts in the UK version, although I definitely need CC to understand most of what she's saying. But I appreciate they have her speaking the way someone probably would in the 16th century rather than speaking perfectly modern English like they probably would in the US version.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

As a reminder, this is the place to compare the two shows, not discuss specific episodes of the UK show now airing on CBS in the US. 

Referring to something that happened in the UK episode and then comparing it to the US episodes = ok. 

Discussion what happened in the UK episodes airing with no comparison  = not ok.  Discussion of the UK episodes goes here

• Useful 1

I must have a US sense of humor, because I don't enjoy watching people be miserable.  I would rather see ghosts who (sometimes) help the livings, rather than always trying to get rid of them.

Years ago friends showed me a couple of episodes of Fawlty Towers. All I remember is thinking, "If the characters hate running a hotel, why don't they sell it and do something else?"

• Like 4

To me, the UK version just seems so frantic so far. I still understand what's happening, but the US Ghosts has the traditional A and B plots with fewer characters in a lot of the scenes which makes viewing more relaxing.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1

Like some of you, I prefer the US version and most of the US ghosts better.  As for switching any UK ghosts for US ghosts?  The Captain for Isaac and Mary for Nancy. We can also send Thor to the UK version.  He and Robin sometimes annoy me.  (unpopular opinions:  I'm not crazy for Isaac or Thor.  They both have their moments, but sitting here thinking about it, and not having watched for a while, I realize I wouldn't miss them.)

I like the homeowners in both versions, but I really don't like when sitcom characters do really stupid things to further the plot.  Like faking the ghost-thing for the ghost-hunters.  Have they never seen one of those shows where the ghost-hunters find something in nothing?  I don't watch those shows either, but I know they could have done nothing and the ghost hunters would claim they saw/heard/felt something.  Not only that, they already claimed they weren't haunted.  All they had to do was say they would let the ghost-hunters in for a price, but no promises.  They would be paying for the hope of ghosts, not the promise.

Anyway, I enjoy both versions, but like Driad said above, I must have a U.S. sense of humor.  I like the US version better.

• Like 1
On 11/17/2023 at 6:42 PM, Snow Apple said:

I assume Trevor is a mash up of Julian and the Shakespeare guy? I don't know all their names yet.

The Shakespeare era guy is the headless ghost.  Trevor is more a mash-up of Julian (pantless, can move things, naughty party type) and the romantic era poet, Thomas (both are immediately infatuated with Sam/Allison out of the gate).

On 11/19/2023 at 7:15 PM, Bastet said:

I just watched the first two episodes of the UK show, and like it, but so far the caveman (love Alison calling him "Budget Tarzan") is doing nothing for me but making me miss Thor.  I miss "Landship!" when cars arrive.  I hope I wind up liking him as the series progresses.

I ended up liking Robin the Caveman more than any other of the UK ghosts.  Give him time.  (Still love Thorfinn too).

On 11/21/2023 at 8:08 AM, NJRadioGuy said:

I think I like British Pat more than Pete, mostly because when they did the family visit episode in the British version it was far more poignant and sentimental.  ...

I get a kick out of Lady Button, but I despise her sour expression. Hetty is far more likeable but both work well in their respective settings. Trevor and Julian both work very well and I love them both. Isaac is a mashup between the Captain and Thomas, and frankly I think Isaac works better than both the two individuals, although the Captain is wonderfully silly in a way that Isaac isn't. Thomas is my least favourite character on the BritVersion. Thorfinn and Robin are both gems and I love them both. There is no UK equivalent to Flower, and no American version of Mary; between the two of them I prefer Mary, just because Flower still hasn't found her voice in the US show, and Mary's character grew nicely. Kitty is the British version of Alberta, and both are tremendous in their similar roles. I love them both. Kitty is much younger, very naïve, and a sweet, gentle soul whereas Alberta is is smart, tough and world-wise. They both work brilliantly, but in the more sentimental scenes, Kitty melts your heart.

I thought the Pat version was just a rough draft of the superior Pete version myself.  Heck we never met Pat's wife at all nor did she/he have to deal with transgression guilt/forgiveness.  Far more depth to the US version.

I think there is a strong UK version of Flower in the form of Kitty - silly, naive and none to bright and the one that stood in Kitty's exact place when Jay put the hole in the wall in episode 1 and Flower was so happy to be roommates with Hetty.  There are also elements of Mary in Flower as well.  Their power is walk through them and you smell burning or get high and stoned.  Flower would probably decide to do her part by standing staring at a wall too.  It's Alberta that has no UK tie-in at all.

Issac is a mash-up of The Captain (military and in the closet as we have come to see the Captain is too) but also Julian (he and Julian have the hubris and like to name drop and see themselves as important figures politically too).  The only remote link to Thomas I can think of is they both have arch rivals as in Alexander Hamilton and Lord Byron.

And some of The Captain's straight out war-like military is more like Thorfinn.  Kill Danes!  Kill the Huns!  And it was The Captain and Thorfinn that had the bit where the TV was first turned on and the Captain forgot about getting the couple out and sat down to watch his tanks roll just like Thorfinn forgot his opposition when he saw a PBS show on Vikings pop-up first thing.

Thorfinn is only matched with Robin because they were around the longest and do the different speech stuff.  Other than that Robin is pretty much a stand-alone UK ghost.

Thomas doesn't have a direct mash-up I can see except as a wordsmith he has a tie in with Sass as a teller of poems/stories.  But Sass is a good storyteller and Thomas is a piss poor poet.  Thomas/Trevor have a thing for Allison/Sam too.  But for Sass, next to Alberta he seems the most independent of UK comparisons.

On 11/25/2023 at 9:42 AM, Snow Apple said:

I like the 4th episode better. I guess it's because there wasn't a US episode to compare it to. There were elements incorporated, like how the UK version was filming a historical drama and the US was filming a reenactments of dumb deaths, and the Bryon/Hamilton rivalries, but they weren't distracting like straight up obvious comparisons. 

I agree too it was the best of the first few episodes.  BTW the "actor guy" in the US "Dumb Deaths" is the guy who played Thomas in UK Ghosts.

On 11/26/2023 at 11:35 AM, North of Eden said:

I actually wouldn't mind swapping out the jazz singer for her UK counterpart who I like for her good humour/nature. Who would you swap if you could?

I love Alberta but, again, she has absolutely no counterpart in the UK version.  She is the most US stand-alone ghost of them all.  Kitty and Mary combined = Flower.

As for Hetty/Fanny.  Hetty is at least a decade younger and has a way stronger and more rounded personality.  Like her far better.  Fanny has a kind of annoying, high-pitched voice who seems just one note in complaining all the time but her jumping out the window is funny.

Who would I swap out?  Crash, the headless 50's biker, who never really worked out in the US series for the headless Shakespearean era ghost who actually is in the show full time in the UK version and is pretty funny.  Otherwise, nobody though I would love if Robin the Caveman could be "added" to the US cast.  Grew to really love him the best of the UK ghosts.

FYI the same actor plays both Robin AND the Shakespearean headless ghost I read here. 

Also the plague ghosts in the last episode were all played by the regular upstairs ghosts actors I read as well.  That explains why there is no over the shoulders shots of The Captain with the group of ghosts together except the guilty plague carrier one alone. 

Also read these actors were in a acting troupe together before the show and they were the ones that created Ghosts too.  Their names appear collectively at the start of each episode I noticed.  Talented bunch.  (But I still like the US version better).

• Like 1
57 minutes ago, Skooma said:

The Shakespeare era guy is the headless ghost.  Trevor is more a mash-up of Julian (pantless, can move things, naughty party type) and the romantic era poet, Thomas (both are immediately infatuated with Sam/Allison out of the gate). Robin because they were around the longest and do the different speech stuff.  Other than that Robin is pretty much a stand-alone UK ghost.

HaHa. Yes, that's the guy I was talking about. I didn't know his name but he quoted Shakespeare (I think) so that's what I called him. I didn't know the headless ghost was from the Shakespearian era. I'm still trying to keep them all straight. Thanks. 

I'm still having a hard time with all their names. I know Kitty, Fanny, Mary, Pat, The Captain (does he have a name?). The others I still only identify by description. 

Like the US version, I feel bad for the headless guy. He keeps losing his head at random places and can't unite it with his body without help. At least we don't see much of US Biker so "out of sight. out of mind." UK guy is there a lot and makes me upset and anxious watching him have no control (like a turtle on it's back). Why don't the other ghosts help him?! Kitty and Pat are supposed to be the nice ones.

Edited by Snow Apple
  • Like 1
  • Useful 1
5 hours ago, Snow Apple said:

I'm still having a hard time with all their names. I know Kitty, Fanny, Mary, Pat, The Captain (does he have a name?). The others I still only identify by description.

You pretty much nailed them all.  Just Thomas is the name of the Romantic Era would-be poet and Robin is the caveman.  And no I have no idea why a caveman is called Robin.

And The Captain is always just called The Captain.

I don't think they have given a name to Mr Headless yet but later we learn his name is ...

Spoiler

Humphrey

Not really a spoiler in the true sense but since it hasn't been mentioned yet just used the spoiler thing above to be safe.

PS: Oh I had to go and look up why Robin is called Robin because I got curious now.  Again, spoiler tags and it does call Mr Headless by name too in the reason I found online:

Spoiler

"His name is Rogh, but at some point Humphrey went, 'That must presumably be short for something' and just started calling him Robin, and it was easier to go along with it than having an argument. Then, as new ghosts came along, Humphrey would go 'This is Robin.'"

Edited by Skooma
  • Useful 3
On 12/8/2023 at 7:03 PM, Driad said:

I must have a US sense of humor, because I don't enjoy watching people be miserable.  I would rather see ghosts who (sometimes) help the livings, rather than always trying to get rid of them.

Years ago friends showed me a couple of episodes of Fawlty Towers. All I remember is thinking, "If the characters hate running a hotel, why don't they sell it and do something else?"

I wouldn't mind most things going wrong, but a small win once in awhile would help.  This constant negative tone is dragging this down for me.  I might be out at this point.

On 12/9/2023 at 10:59 AM, Johannah said:

I like the homeowners in both versions, but I really don't like when sitcom characters do really stupid things to further the plot.  Like faking the ghost-thing for the ghost-hunters. 

I'm also struggling with how much more sitcom-y the UK version is.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I wouldn't mind most things going wrong, but a small win once in awhile would help.  This constant negative tone is dragging this down for me.  I might be out at this point.

I'm also struggling with how much more sitcom-y the UK version is.

It is defiantly a matter of perspective and getting it was written with another audience in mind.  The US show is very much for a US audience where the wins which seem to be a lot easier than the UK one.

The UK does have little wins just not so much headlined as such like the US show does.  Such as a good night out with people who want to spend time with it is a win considering they were so alone in season 1.  Then there is them finding the humor in random things that lightens proceedings that wouldn't work in the US show though a lot of what the UK show does is lost thanks to the editing.   

All I can say is try the next episode.

• Like 1
16 hours ago, sidi said:

It is defiantly a matter of perspective and getting it was written with another audience in mind.  The US show is very much for a US audience where the wins which seem to be a lot easier than the UK one.

The UK does have little wins just not so much headlined as such like the US show does.  Such as a good night out with people who want to spend time with it is a win considering they were so alone in season 1.  Then there is them finding the humor in random things that lightens proceedings that wouldn't work in the US show though a lot of what the UK show does is lost thanks to the editing.   

All I can say is try the next episode.

I'm quite familiar with British humor, but this show quite frankly isn't all that funny and coupled with the consistently negative tone, I'm pretty much out.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I'm quite familiar with British humor, but this show quite frankly isn't all that funny and coupled with the consistently negative tone, I'm pretty much out.

Well there isn't much I can say if that is what you think. 

Spoiler

Though you'll miss the on the volleyball game and wine coming out of people's ears as they fly around the room, the burglary and the wedding and a pantless man sing boys to men to a very confused group. 

I personally like the slower pace of the arcs and seeing Alison and Mike becoming capable in their situation and getting the small wins with less support than Jay and Sam did (considering the state of the house, less money and not having any link to any background that knew how to run a B&B and ghosts who can actually help but don't a lot of the time compared to all bar one ghost who can actually do something to really help).  Because really? Trevor the investment bro can work out how to work a dating app but can't read up and tell Jay and Sam how to invest their cash in todays markets to get a good yield outside telling them to contact 'Bernie'.  At least it is pretty clear that the things Julian mostly invested in when he was alive were not ethical or legal so there is a reason not to get him to help with the finances.

It took me watching half a season of the US show to get the humor was light and bright but not always kind when I thought about things.  But that is US humor so I watch it for surface fun and the UK show when I want giggles and the pathos. Also where else would I find a show where they rhyme 'police academy' with 'apothecary'

Edited by sidi

Fair enough.  Sorry you didn't like it.

Though have to admit the editing choices of CBS don't help either.  The little quips they have removed do take things out of a lot of scenes.  

Things like the monocle gag 'where did you get that? Over there' in the middle of Mike going 'she's everywhere' bit through the pictures of Fanny lightens the tone.  Without it makes Mike just look strange to be wearing it. 

Even the clip from the xmas one they are showing have a sight gag taken out.  Sure Julian is a bit down over being dead during Xmas, but when he says 'Bah Humbug' and Alison asks him about it, he's actually talking about a jar of candy - you can see it on the kitchen table beside him.  Removing it does take the balance out of the scene.

Edited by sidi
  • Useful 1
1 hour ago, sidi said:

Though have to admit the editing choices of CBS don't help either.  The little quips they have removed do take things out of a lot of scenes.  

True -- I am so glad to be watching on Paramount+ so I get the full episodes.  For the first two episodes, there was an audio/video sync issue on P+, so I watched on CBS instead.  When the glitch got sorted out, I re-watched on P+ and loved all the little things they cut.

• Useful 1

British humor is much darker than American humor. After watching episode 2 my husband was muttering "That was NOT funny!" (It sort of bothered me, too.) I am sticking with it, but at times it is uncomfortable.

• Like 1
(edited)

I watched the two seasons of the UK version Paramount+ has available, and am re-watching the US version in advance of its new season, and one thing I greatly prefer about those two UK seasons compared to the first two US seasons is none of the British ghosts hooked up.  None of them, who've spent decades and in some cases centuries together and will spend eternity together, looked at each other that way.  Maybe they do in later seasons, but that would just further illustrate my point -- it's something you resort to late in a series, when you're running out of ideas. 

The US version had Flower declare her love for Thor when they thought he was about to be sucked off, then had her immediately nevermind, caught up in the moment shrug it off.  A little weird in one of the first few episodes, but at least it was dispatched with.  Pete no longer feels like he has to be faithful to his wife after finding out she'd cheated on him, so reveals his crush on Alberta.  That one got handled realistically -- Sam warned him he could make things awkward for everyone for eternity, and Alberta told him she didn't reciprocate -- so okay, but, again, we're not even halfway through the first season.  Then Hetty and Trevor started hooking up, which makes no sense since it had earlier been established ghosts can't climax, but if they're ignoring that, okay, it's pretty damn funny.  But then they actually kind of care?  And then Thor and Flower are a proper item, too?  Throughout, Isaac and Nigel got increasingly involved.  It's only season two; at this rate, the entire cast will be paired off by the end of season four.

Although Nigel annoys me sometimes, I like his relationship with Isaac and love the coming out storyline it gave Isaac, so I'm all for keeping that one.  In a vacuum, none of these are bad storylines (although I do not see one ounce of chemistry - emotional or physical - between Thor and Flower), it's the cumulative effect that bugs me for the creative laziness.

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 1
3 hours ago, Bastet said:

I watched the two season of the UK version Paramount+ has available, and am re-watching the US version in advance of its new season, and one thing I greatly prefer about those two UK seasons compared to the first three US seasons is none of the British ghosts hooked up.  None of them, who've spent decades and in some cases centuries together and will spend eternity together, looked at each other that way.  Maybe they do in later seasons, but that would just further illustrate my point -- it's something you resort to late in a series, when you're running out of ideas. 

The US version had Flower declare her love for Thor when they thought he was about to be sucked off, then had her immediately nevermind, caught up in the moment shrug it off.  A little weird in one of the first few episodes, but at least it was dispatched with.  Pete no longer feels like he has to be faithful to his wife after finding out she'd cheated on him, so reveals his crush on Alberta.  That one got handled realistically -- Sam warned him he could make things awkward for everyone for eternity, and Alberta told him she didn't reciprocate -- so okay, but, again, we're not even halfway through the first season.  Then Hetty and Trevor started hooking up, which makes no sense since it had earlier been established ghosts can't climax, but if they're ignoring that, okay, it's pretty damn funny.  But then they actually kind of care?  And then Thor and Flower are a proper item, too?  Somewhere in there Isaac and Nigel got increasingly involved.  It's only season three; at this rate, the entire cast will be paired off by the end of season four.

Although Nigel annoys me sometimes, I like his relationship with Isaac and love the coming out storyline it gave Isaac, so I'm all for keeping that one.  In a vacuum, none of these are bad storylines (although I do not see one ounce of chemistry - emotional or physical - between Thor and Flower), it's the cumulative effect that bugs me for the creative laziness.

I got the impression that Robin & Mary "hooked up" in Season's 2 "About Last Night."