Forums forums
PRIMETIMER

AngieBee1

Comparison with the UK show

I love both versions but will say that UK Kitty is my favorite part of either show and UK Stalker Poet is the worst. 

• Love 3

On 10/15/2021 at 7:35 PM, Sakura12 said:

I think what makes the UK version work more is the actors are a comedy troupe that have worked together before. So they know how to work off each other. 

The US version is just a bunch of random actors. They may be able to find their groove but it will take a few episodes. 

Although I am curious about the headless 50's Ghost and how he got beheaded. Since his story will not be at all similar to Humphrey's. 

Absolutely!  The UK ghosts have a synergy -a chaotic synergy - that boosts the comedy to a new level.  They know how to talk over each other in such a way that everyone is still heard; it makes their interactions much funnier.  The US ghosts take turns -the dialogue/lines are delivered in sequence and the pacing is just... off.   It feels hollow to me sometimes like something is missing.  

Still love both shows, but the UK version is far superior and much edgier.

• Love 2

Just watched the first 5 episodes of the UK and I hated it. It managed to be both annoying and boring at the same time. 

• Love 4

On 4/9/2022 at 6:11 PM, callie lee 29 said:

Just watched the first 5 episodes of the UK and I hated it. It managed to be both annoying and boring at the same time. 

I just watched the first season of the BBC version and it was bad. First, I don't like the male lead, he is annoying and unlike Jay in the US version, he adds nothing to the show. Second the ghost are mean and not likable at all. 

• Love 1

On 4/20/2022 at 2:01 PM, enduringforce said:

I just watched the first season of the BBC version and it was bad. First, I don't like the male lead, he is annoying and unlike Jay in the US version, he adds nothing to the show. Second the ghost are mean and not likable at all. 

The second BBC season is better than the first.  As for the ghosts being "mean" ....maybe Julian.  And sometimes Fanny, but she is so wickedly funny that I barely notice the unpleasantness.  

Michael (played by Kiell Smith-Bynoe) wasn't given much to do in the first season, but his personality emerged in season 2 especially with the episodes "Bump in the Night" and "The Ghost of Christmas."  Frankly, I think the British series has better crafted, more complicated storylines with superior dialogue.  It's making me judge the American series (which I initially loved) rather harshly.  I can still enjoy CBS Ghosts, but it just feels like a cheap knockoff now.

To each his/her own.

• Love 2

On 12/21/2021 at 6:10 PM, Sakura12 said:

I wonder if they will have the creepy kid ghost that always scared the other ghosts. 

I wish.  She was a really good addition to the BBC series and hopefully will return.  Maybe her age became an issue.  Young teens age quickly and look nothing like they did 2 years earlier.  So the stay-as-you-die principle is a challenge when kids are cast as ghosts.

Edited by TruffleHog

6 hours ago, TruffleHog said:

Frankly, I think the British series has better crafted, more complicated storylines with superior dialogue.  It's making me judge the American series (which I initially loved) rather harshly.  I can still enjoy CBS Ghosts, but it just feels like a cheap knockoff now.

Well, that's the benefit of a much shorter TV season. There's no need for filler episodes, so the scripts are tighter, and the season-long storylines move faster. The drawback, though, is that there's less room to develop the individual characters, so sometimes the characterization can be a bit shallow. And the longer season in the US gives them room to add to the lore (like how they can be trapped in iron, or how thoroughly unrepentant ghosts "go down").

Personally, I like both versions. But hey, YMMV.

• Love 5
  • Useful 1

On 4/22/2022 at 11:51 PM, The Crazed Spruce said:

Personally, I like both versions. But hey, YMMV.

I like them both as well. I prefer some things about the US, like Jay and Hetty, but I prefer some things about the UK version, love Kitty and Alison. The humour is a bit harsher in the UK but it also allows for more growth from the ghosts while I feel a stronger family vibe with the US ghosts and I like how Jay "interacts" with them. 

I am glad that both versions exist. I love them both.

• Love 4

8 hours ago, Mabinogia said:

I like them both as well. I prefer some things about the US, like Jay and Hetty, but I prefer some things about the UK version, love Kitty and Alison. The humour is a bit harsher in the UK but it also allows for more growth from the ghosts while I feel a stronger family vibe with the US ghosts and I like how Jay "interacts" with them. 

I am glad that both versions exist. I love them both.

Yes.  The overall tone of the BBC series is darker and edgier, and the CBS version is rather light-hearted in comparison.  Alison isn't afraid to confront the misbehaving ghosts -- sometimes yells at them and called each of them names in S1 Episode 2 ( e.g. Budget Tarzan, Sourpuss, Captain Caveprick, etc.)  

Sam is a softer, more people-pleasing character.  Has she ever gotten angry with the ghosts?  Also, Hetty is less uptight and angry than BBC's Fanny.  I do appreciate the sweet goofiness of the CBS series, but it's kind of like comparing milk and dark chocolate.  Once you've developed a taste for dark chocolate, the milk variety never tastes the same (for me, anyway).

Edited by TruffleHog

I'm happy the US and UK versions are so different so I can enjoy both. British and American humor is very different as well. Even when they do a similar storyline it turns out differently. 

I'm eagerly awaiting Series 4 of Ghosts UK and season 2 of Ghosts US.

• Love 4

On 4/25/2022 at 9:29 PM, TruffleHog said:

The overall tone of the BBC series is darker and edgier, and the CBS version is rather light-hearted in comparison

I totally agree with this. I've only watched the first set of the UK show, but I really like the warmer tone of the US version

• Love 4

The UK ghosts have a synergy -a chaotic synergy - that boosts the comedy to a new level.  They know how to talk over each other in such a way that everyone is still heard; it makes their interactions much funnier.  The US ghosts take turns -the dialogue/lines are delivered in sequence and the pacing is just... off.   It feels hollow to me sometimes like something is missing.  

I didn't realize until recently the actors also write the show. I agree the dialogue is more sophisticated in the UK version, but that's not surprising. They do this thing where a group of ghosts are all talking at once to Alison while she is trying to listen to a living person and cannot hear them because of the cacophony going on around her. It really underscores how taxing this must be on her, to have all these ghosts shouting things at her all the time and overwhelming her. That's something they don't do in the US version.

Second the ghost are mean and not likable at all. 

Series in the UK don't feel the need to make their characters all warm and fuzzy like they do in the US. The characters in the UK version are funny because they are/were mostly awful people. I think so, anyway. The US version has to do these feel good moments every episode, the UK version has no need for that. I like both versions but recognize the American version is very Americanized.

• Love 3
  • Like 1