Type keyword(s) to search

Fandom and Viewer Issues: "Fan" Is Short for "Fanatic"

Emma
  • Start Topic

SQ fans have the least justification to call any other fanbase "obnoxious".  Sorry not sorry.

I don't know, I feel the same way about the shippers on this CS board.

I do agree that Regina fans are extreme hypocrites, but there is total justification and legit reasons for disliking Hook as well. 

• Love 1
27 minutes ago, Geeni said:

I don't know, I feel the same way about the shippers on this CS board.

At least we CSers who post on this board don't call other posters obnoxious or other names (as another poster did) over a difference of opinion. At least, we have that going for us. 

• Love 4

If I declare myself the most obnoxious, which I am completely willing to do, the contest can be over.   Plus, I would have won something, which is always nice.  Yay, trophies!  

Just curious, was there any section of the fandom that was generally pleased with the episode?  

• Love 3
7 minutes ago, Mari said:

Just curious, was there any section of the fandom that was generally pleased with the episode?  

I'd imagine if you're a fan of Regina, Zelena, or Regina/Snow, it was a good episode. The Rumbelle fandom seems kind of split.

There are a lot of viewers who are not in any fandom who enjoyed the episode. My family liked it. It was a good setup for the coming season. I'm looking forward to most of the story lines introduced or hinted at in this episode.

• Love 1

Well, I do love CS and all the Charming clan above all. In fact , I will have quit watching long time ago with not for them and the actors who play them.

But, I still curious and interesting in Rumple and like Belle too.  So, I do find the level of hate between CS and the Rumple fans annoying sometimes.

As I am not a rumbeller I will preferred Rumple as a real antagonist and not what we got.

And, there a lot of Emma and C's fans who still positive about the Savior arc.

It's always interesting watching or discussing this show with my casual viewer friends. They have their favorite characters (generally Hook and Regina), but they usually forget every plot that's ever happened. One friend even forgot they brought Hook back to life, even though he's apparently her favorite character. The general consensus from my casual viewer friends was that the premiere was really confusing or underwhelming, but they still enjoy the show enough to keep tuning in.

I saw no mention of a premiere party in the article -- simply that "the cast was one place and the other two were someplace else." I also noted that the article never said they were for sure having an affair -- just that they had dinner together. I believe this actually happened, because Blind Gossip has been right about many things -- though I also believe there was nothing untoward about it. Sometimes dinner is just dinner!

4 hours ago, Curio said:

I'm beginning to see why "no boards on boards" was a rule at TWoP.

If I could like this a thousand times I would. 

3 hours ago, orza said:

There are a lot of viewers who are not in any fandom who enjoyed the episode. 

I enjoyed it. The interesting thing about this episode to me is that it rekindled my interest in characters I haven't enjoyed for seasons. Then again, I consider myself more a general fan of this show, and while I have my favorites and unfavorites, I like to think I'm still open-minded about all the characters and the fans who enjoy them. I'm also someone who only finds individual people obnoxious and not whole fandoms. Strange concept, I know. 

Edited by InsertWordHere
  • Love 3
12 minutes ago, InsertWordHere said:

I'm also someone who only finds individual people obnoxious and not whole fandoms. Strange concept, I know. 

Get out of here, you weirdo!

I used to enjoy the show a lot more before I started posting on TWoP. And I enjoyed it more before we moved here. The entire reason I started posting was because I was excited about the show and wanted to talk about it. 

Now, I feel like I've fallen down the rabbit hole. I enjoyed it better when I was a member of the GA. Now everytime something comes out, there's a lot of bitching (which I do my fair share of), a lot of eye rolling and very little excitement. I wish I could turn the clock back and never have stopped posting my thoughts, or reading other people's thoughts, but my main problem is that I'm addicted to spoilers.

Fandom can be such a turn off. 

• Love 3
23 minutes ago, YaddaYadda said:

I used to enjoy the show a lot more before I started posting on TWoP. And I enjoyed it more before we moved here. The entire reason I started posting was because I was excited about the show and wanted to talk about it. 

Same. I was a fan of the show in Season 1, but not to the point where I wanted to avidly post about it online. It wasn't until Season 2 and 3 where I became more involved with the online fandom, but becoming involved with the fandom means you learn a lot more about those tiny plot details you forget about as a casual fan and you learn more about the behind the scenes stuff that impacts your viewing. Even though I complain about the show more now, I'm much more passionate and knowledgeable about the characters and plots than I was in Season 1 when I was just one of those casual fans that accepted whatever was on screen. It's this weird paradox where I would probably enjoy the show more if I went back to being a casual viewer who didn't question things, but I couldn't be as passionate or knowledgeable about the canon and writing process in exchange. 

But even in Season 3 when I was fully invested in analyzing every episode online, I wasn't so completely bitter about the future of the show. It was Season 4 and Operation Mongoose that shattered my rose-tinted glasses, and I doubt the writers will ever win me back.

Edited by Curio
  • Love 4
36 minutes ago, YaddaYadda said:

Get out of here, you weirdo!

Now, I feel like I've fallen down the rabbit hole. I enjoyed it better when I was a member of the GA. Now everytime something comes out, there's a lot of bitching (which I do my fair share of), a lot of eye rolling and very little excitement. I wish I could turn the clock back and never have stopped posting my thoughts, or reading other people's thoughts, but my main problem is that I'm addicted to spoilers.

Fandom can be such a turn off. 

I'm the opposite now as if it weren't for fandom then I wouldn't even bother with this show.  My husband and I started on this show together because we wanted to see JMo and RC and the premise sounded awesome per the pre-show publicity which was lead by JMo and GG.  My husband dropped out late season 1 because he felt they were not going to be able to sustain the premise. I held on through most of Season 2 but then felt they were starting to really screw over Emma in that she was always held to the higher standard and dropping major emotional points and it was becoming predictable.  I came back to the show because one day on TWoP, I went into the OUAT board and learned of the CS kiss and jumped back because JMO and CO sell it and I enjoy the chemistry.  I enjoy coming and reading everyone's thoughts (even about those characters that I don't like in show) but to be honest with each interview that A & E give I'm 99 percent ready to give up. As I've said before this show had so much potential with a different idea, a great cast and lots of chemistry between them.  A & E suck as show runners and have squandered all that potential.  But back to the point, I stopped being part of the GA and only enjoy the rabbit hole though that is wearing mighty thin! 

Editing to add - that this is the only site I participate in because I find it to be the best group out of the 3/4 sites I was reading.  After last season I don't even bother going to those other sites now.

Edited by tri4335
Adding one more point

I make my living as a fantasy novelist, so I don't think I was ever in the general audience. Even if I weren't on message boards, I'd be dissecting plot and character stuff because I can't seem to stop myself. It's just more fun to do it with other people, and that gets it out of my system so I can concentrate on other things. I've always been frustrated by this show because there's so much potential that keeps getting wasted. I nearly quit season one when they seemed to be having a bad case of Lost-Itis, with all the one-off character centrics, and I really nearly lost it when we learned why Regina was going after Snow, but learning the real reason behind the curse and then seeing the finale kept me going. I was disappointed by much of early season two (but now that I'm seeing it for what it is rather than what I wanted it to be, I like it a lot more), and nearly quit in 2B when they went off the deep end in making Regina a victim. I think I got more involved in the boards instead of just lurking most of the time in season 3, and I think I was a lot more positive than most about 3B. But yeah, season 4 just about did me in. Still, as much as I enjoy snarking about the show, I genuinely look forward to watching it and get upset when I have conflicts on Sunday night. I rewatch parts of episodes. I still desperately want it to live up to its potential and make better use of all its assets -- the characters and the situation -- and I despair at the screwy morality, but I still enjoy watching. I might not enjoy it quite as much if it weren't for the social aspect of the boards, though. I think that's what I'll miss. I've been trying to pare down my message board activity, so this is the only show left that I really bother to discuss in any kind of depth. When it ends, maybe I can quit the message board habit unless I find something else that I enjoy dissecting in that depth.

• Love 2

Tbh, I haven't found a single forum on this show/podcast that isn't a least a little negative about the Show. I also find overly positive blogs a bit of a turnoff, becasue I find uncritical praise of the show a little odd. But, to each their own, and I tend to stay away from either end of the spectrum. 

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Curio said:

But even in Season 3 when I was fully invested in analyzing every episode online, I wasn't so completely bitter about the future of the show. It was Season 4 and Operation Mongoose that shattered my rose-tinted glasses, and I doubt the writers will ever win me back.

Yeah. For me It was the 4A finale. After that episode I lost all the hope I had on the show. But I love Hook and Emma, and this forum. I'm here until the bitter end. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Rumsy4 said:

Tbh, I haven't found a single forum on this show/podcast that isn't a least a little negative about the Show. I also find overly positive blogs a bit of a turnoff, becasue I find uncritical praise of the show a little odd. But, to each their own, and I tend to stay away from either end of the spectrum. 

Agreed, it would be boring if it's 100% positive all the time.

2 hours ago, RadioGirl27 said:

Yeah. For me It was the 4A finale. After that episode I lost all the hope I had on the show. But I love Hook and Emma, and this forum. I'm here until the bitter end. 

Same. That was the episode that irrevocably broke my trust in the show to pay off what they had set up for CS and to not let everything be about Regina ever. I was ::thisclose:: to stopping watching, I was so disappointed and angry.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Rumsy4 said:

Tbh, I haven't found a single forum on this show/podcast that isn't a least a little negative about the Show. I also find overly positive blogs a bit of a turnoff, becasue I find uncritical praise of the show a little odd.

If you want to judge if an episode was really bad, check out one of those relentlessly positive blogs and see if they criticize it. When they've lost even the most positive of fans you know it was really, really terrible.

• Love 2
17 hours ago, RadioGirl27 said:

The 4A finale started it half-way for me.  The 5B finale finished it.

• Love 1

Is that something people were... unsure about? Like, did they think there was a possibility A&E maybe disliked or were so-so on Hook? Like, I would believe you if you told me they were not particularly fond of Belle or even Snow and Charming, but Hook and Regina? They clearly loooove them.

• Love 2

I think the complaints were more that A&E don't generally shut things down when the SwanQueen gang start in on the "Hook is a rapist" meme. They may have this time, but that's been repeated so often without pushback that it came as a shock. I think people on both sides of this argument need to take a deep breath, step away from the TV and Internet, and get back into the real world. If people on the Internet calling your favorite character a rapist sends you to the hospital, then you need a perspective shift. And if you consider a man making out with his girlfriend (who is enthusiastically consenting) to be rape and promoting rape culture, then the continued existence of the human race is probably going to traumatize you because it will require men and women to have sex.

• Love 6

I still cackle at that person not knowing the difference between rape and none.

Maybe someone should show that person a scene of Regina forcing Graham to sleep with her and when he didn't want to she killed him to figure out the difference between rape and concent. 

Edited by mjgchick
  • Love 1

In other news, remember when certain SQ shippers who hate Robin and OQ and Sean Maguire suddenly sided with upset OQ shippers against CS because they blamed CS for what had happened (since Hook was revived in the same episode Robin died)?   Yeah, now that they heard the latest news about Robin's return, they've stopped that charade and are right back to their old behavior, bashing Robin and OQ, and bullying Sean and calling him a bad actor who will inevitably ruin Lana Parilla's performance and Regina's whole arc for the season.  Good to see them finally being honest again.

Edited by Mathius
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, Mathius said:

In other news, remember when certain SQ shippers who hate Robin and OQ and Sean Maguire suddenly sided with upset OQ shippers against CS because they blamed CS for what had happened (since Hook was revived in the same episode Robin died)?   Yeah, now that they heard the latest news about Robin's return, they've stopped that charade and are right back to their old behavior, bashing Robin and OQ, and bullying Sean and calling him a bad actor who will inevitably ruin Lana Parilla's performance and Regina's whole arc for the season.  Good to see them finally being honest again.

That's a shocker right here.

Fandom is weird I do believe that my views of certain characters I'd changed because of what I know. 

But, my interest for the show have so much declined since 3b that I am not sure I will bother with the show if it was not of some weird pleasure that I still got from the fandom and forum like this. 

It is like a train wreck I have to look at I know I will not escape until it definitely stop.

Edited by maryle
  • Love 1

So is this almost entirely an anti-SQ board? I am a die-hard SwanQueener and thought there might be some cool tidbits about the fandom in here. Just looks like a CS fanpage.

I really don't like CaptainSwan. Not because he's a rapist or his character sucks or they have no chemistry. Hook's just not Regina. Honest answer right there.

• Love 1

It's definitely pro-captain swan but there are people that don't like them too. 

It's more of a canon website as far as couples go. Snowing, Outlaw Queen, Rumbelle, Captain Swan, etc. Although some of those really aren't given much of a storyline. 

Edited by Stuffy

This particular thread isn't the best for civil discussion, period. The episode threads, all seasons thread, unpopular opinions thread, and the individual character threads are better places for discussion. There are definitely posters here who love Regina, don't ship Captain Swan, hate Hook, hate Emma, love Rumple, etc. They're just not the majority. But everyone is more than welcome to post whatever they want. There's a reason these forums have a block feature, too. If you find that someone is too negative for your liking, you don't have to read their posts. The main thing you'll find about this forum is that as long as you're level-headed about your posts and back your thoughts up with canon, you're fine. But if a poster says, "Regina should get together with Emma because it's clear that Emma isn't actually in love with Hook," they should probably be prepared to get essay-length posts quoting the show's text and citing actual canon proving that false.

• Love 10
56 minutes ago, asabovesobelow said:

I really don't like CaptainSwan. Not because he's a rapist or his character sucks or they have no chemistry. Hook's just not Regina. Honest answer right there.

I like your honest answer! I don't consider this a shipping board, period, but as someone who ships Captain Swan (though my main draw to this show will always be the Charming family), I acknowledge that it's probably more comfortable here for CS shippers than it is for others. 

When Season 1 aired and we discussed it on the previous incarnation of this board, I can say that shipping was definitely not the focus. However, even back then, there were not a lot of fans of Regina here, except perhaps as a villain. Season 2 only added on to people's issues with that character. I would say back then it was more of a pro-Charming family board, if anything, with perhaps a side of Rumbelle. The additions of Neal and Hook added some shipping to the discussion, but I don't think the OUaT fandom's shipping issues as we know them (by which I mean the incredibly hostile atmosphere on all sides) made their way to this board until Season 3. 

As the show's writing has gotten progressively worse, and the character-driven moments fewer and far between for all characters, the shipping discussion has come to the forefront because (if your ship is together or about to get together), that has become one of the few pleasing aspects left on this show. If someone's ship is not together and happy, then the hope that it might become so has probably become one of the only reasons they continue to watch the show. I don't blame the fandom in general or the posters on this board for responding to the atmosphere the show has created.  

• Love 2

This is a spoiler-free thread.  We do not allow spoilers here.  Spoilers belong in the Spoiler/Spec thread.  

Look, a bunny with a tiara!  Let's keep our bunny happy.  Our bunny hates it when posters are not mindful of the rules of the thread.

9cfff2590566a05d8cac6110736072ce.jpg

• Love 4
4 hours ago, asabovesobelow said:

So is this almost entirely an anti-SQ board? I am a die-hard SwanQueener and thought there might be some cool tidbits about the fandom in here. Just looks like a CS fanpage.

I don't mind CS, but, yes, this is pretty much an anti-SQ board. Or, rather, an anti-Regina board and SQ just happens to include her. It's pretty common for that entire side of the fan community to be described like an evil horde of underworld creatures here.

• Love 2

We do, however, welcome opinions of all kinds on this thread (and this site).  We appreciate both Pro and Anti Regina and/or SQ thoughts.  

We may disagree with each other, but we do it respectfully and kindly.  And if things become too heated, we agree to disagree and move on.

This post is sponsored by our cute bunny with the tiara, who finds pleasant, civil discourse refreshing.

9cfff2590566a05d8cac6110736072ce.jpg

• Love 8

It's not just a bunny in a tiara. It's a bunny in a tiara and a tutu, which makes it seriously hardcore cute. I mean, I'm feeling actual guilt pangs at the thought that I might ever have caused that bunny pain with my posts.

• Love 2

Although to be fair, it's the same damn bunny in both pictures. Where's the variety?

As for the board, yea, it tends to veer towards the anti-Regina side at times and I think SQ is just a casualty of that. Not sure when that started, but I want to say it was going on even in the TWoP days.

9 minutes ago, Mathius said:

It started when she was a villain and a deliberately dislikable character.  It ironically got worse when she was made a victim and writers' pet.

I'm hazy because that was a long time ago, but I seem to recall that Regina was a pretty popular character at TWOP in season one, in a "love to hate" way. There was still some general Draco in Leather Pants-style sentiment, but that happens with any attractive and charismatic villain. I don't think the real anti-Regina outpouring happened until they were juxtaposing stuff like village slaughter with Regina being portrayed as a victim. I even remember some SwanQueen-like discussion that wasn't totally one-sided, with some posters talking about Emma going to the door in her hotel room at Granny's in her pajamas to talk to Regina, and the discussion remained civil, with just some "eww, Regina tried to kill her, so I don't think that was a come-on" response. I think part of the tone here is that a lot of people are hunkering down here for discussion because it's one of the few places where you don't get bombarded with serious hate for expressing certain opinions. We may disagree in great detail on the boards, but I don't think anyone's sending private messages berating anyone for their opinions or posting cut-and-paste stock answers multiple times in reply to any dissent. It can get ugly if you say anything anti-Regina or anti-SwanQueen or pro-Hook/CS on Twitter (I'm afraid to even discuss this show on Twitter). It's probably not fair to tar all fans in those factions with the same brush, but once you've seen what can happen, the cross and holy water response becomes instinctive until you're sure the other person isn't going to unleash the hounds of hell on you and attack you personally because you disagree with them about a TV show. For the most part, discussion here stays focused on the show and not on the poster.

• Love 10
5 hours ago, asabovesobelow said:

At least you are honest and don't make stuff up like him being a rapist and abusive towards Emm I'm all good if you're ok with that tbh. Knowing the difference from canon and fanon is all I care for tbh.

• Love 3

I'm hazy because that was a long time ago, but I seem to recall that Regina was a pretty popular character at TWOP in season one, in a "love to hate" way. There was still some general Draco in Leather Pants-style sentiment, but that happens with any attractive and charismatic villain. I don't think the real anti-Regina outpouring happened until they were juxtaposing stuff like village slaughter with Regina being portrayed as a victim.

I would agree with this. My recollection is that the TWOP board thought Regina was a compelling villain in Season 1, highly entertaining, and maybe had the potential to be redeemed over the course of a few seasons (though even then I think many of us were disappointed with her backstory, once we got it, feeling like it was v shallow). But most of the board got VERY fed up with the character in Season 2 when the show began whitewashing/retconning her evil, made everyone have totally unrealistic reactions to her, and generally sacrificed the Charming family on the altar of Poor Regina (at least imo). 3A redeemed Regina somewhat in the general opinion--Going Home remains, by far, the most I've ever liked Regina in a single episode of the show--but 3B made the board less enchanted with Regina again. iirc most of us disliked the forced Outlaw Queen pairing from the start, and then the perception was that Regina stole Emma's big Defeating Zelena moment in what, 3x20 was it? And then it's basically all been downhill since 3B.

TWOP and then this board have generally always been pro-Charming family, pro-Emma especially, so it was hard for a lot of people to see the Charmings get thrown under the bus for Regina (at least in the perception of many).

but I don't think the OUaT fandom's shipping issues as we know them (by which I mean the incredibly hostile atmosphere on all sides) made their way to this board until Season 3. 

No, I'm pretty sure it was earlier. Back on TWOP, several posters would regularly foam at the mouth in 2B if you even hinted that maybe you thought Neal was okay, and kind of shipped Neal/Emma. I remember absolutely vitriolic screeds being posted on a regular basis. TWOP/this board panted over Hook, and Hook/Emma, from the very moment Hook was introduced.

Gotta be honest, if you're not a big Hook/Captain Swan fan, I don't think there's much for you on this board.

Edited by stealinghome
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, stealinghome said:

No, I'm pretty sure it was earlier. Back on TWOP, several posters would regularly foam at the mouth in 2B if you even hinted that maybe you thought Neal was okay, and kind of shipped Neal/Emma. I remember absolutely vitriolic screeds being posted on a regular basis. TWOP/this board panted over Hook, and Hook/Emma, from the very moment Hook was introduced.

Perhaps my recollection is faulty, but I recall the Season 2 finale as the moment many posters (including myself) began to seriously consider Emma and Hook as a possible pairing. It's true that posters expressed interest in Hook's looks (I wouldn't call it panting) from the first sighting of him in the promo, but that had very little to do with shipping him with Emma. The seeds for the pairing were there in 2A but they did not take up much of the discussion on TWoP, because back then the discussion was mostly focused on the reunion we thought we were going to get between the Charming family, what people thought was going to be Regina's slow road towards redemption, and later, Bae's return. When none of those turned out to be particularly fulfilling, that is when the shipping discussion started to really pick up. 

Regarding Neal and Swanfire, I don't agree that the dislike for that pairing in Season 2 had anything to do with CS. Even before posters knew who Henry's father was in Season 1 (although many people did suspect it was Baelfire), he was framed in a negative light. His introduction and the reunion in Manhattan only further solidified the idea that he was a bad choice for Emma. Hook, who was barely in the picture between Manhattan and the final stretch of the season, had very little to do with it.  Neal earned people's dislike on his own merits. 

Edited by InsertWordHere
  • Love 6

TWOP/this board definitely wasn't pro-CS during S2; the forum started to get behind them as a canon couple when they actually *became* a canon couple, so from 305 onwards. I think generally in fandom, the kiss sneak peek was a tipping point.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, InsertWordHere said:

Perhaps my recollection is faulty, but I recall the Season 2 finale as the moment many posters (including myself) began to seriously consider Emma and Hook as a possible pairing.

You're right, that's true. People did speculate about CS after his first appearance but it gradually went away because of the Neal stuff and Hook being out of focus, and only the finale (and to a much bigger extent, 3x05) provoked a surge in shipping.

4 hours ago, stealinghome said:

Back on TWOP, several posters would regularly foam at the mouth in 2B if you even hinted that maybe you thought Neal was okay, and kind of shipped Neal/Emma. I remember absolutely vitriolic screeds being posted on a regular basis.

I'm pretty sure you weren't a big fan of Neal yourself...

Mostly, I think the overall shipping focus in discussions is due to the show being so badly written for the last few years that other people just threw in their towels and quit (like myself). Shipping CS (as the only comparatively OK written canon couple) or being a Regina fan, SQ or not (as the character with arguably the biggest narrative focus and still somewhat unique enough to engage viewers) are probably the biggest reasons to watch nowadays.

• Love 2

I really hate this idea, that I've seen in Twitter or Tumblr but also here, that if someone hates Regina or Neal is just because that person ships CS and not because that person has valid reasons to do so. Well, I have a long list of reasons why I dislike both characters and any of them have something to do with CS or Hook. What I like about this forum is that we can give those reasons and discuss all the characters without being attacked. In other places that is impossible. 

• Love 6