Type keyword(s) to search

Fandom and Viewer Issues: "Fan" Is Short for "Fanatic"

Emma
  • Start Topic

I agree!

Honestly, Jen is probably the most well spoken about the show among the cast. I mean something I have problem to understand what R.C said and even Colin is not the most elocent (maybe shyness) but Jen I can listen and understand clearly the motivation for her character and what I see on the show. 

but, she is always between people trying to twist her sentences or projecting their wish into her. She is called almost all the insult people can think of without any proof.  in fact I am sure there a lot of people spreading rumors about her wishing to leave are mostly talking about themselves more than what she feels. I mean most of this rumors was coming from people who hate her but so many people just buy it whitout even blinking a eyes. Now, even the hater accept she is probably coming if there a last season. 

But, I really wonder what she really think about her so-call fans!

p.s I watched some Bex panel while I watched Jen and Colin last panel she is a star!!!! So much fun!

• Love 1

This keeps going around Twitter and Facebook, and it reminds me so much of the broader fandom for this show:

Sam Sykes‏Verified account @SamSykesSwears

Stages of a Toxic Fandom: 1. I love this 2. I own this 3. I control this 4. I can't control this 5. I hate this 6. I must destroy this

Especially if it's true that they listened to the virulent SwanQueeners and dialed back anything to do with Emma, and that led to Jen not wanting to come back because she didn't have anything interesting to do.

• Love 4
(edited)

Adam is at it again, LOL.

Adam Horowitz ‏ @AdamHorowitzLA  4h4 hours ago
Replying to @maritzalison

You may think you're part of the swan queen fandom. But you're not. SQ fans are nice.

Edited by Camera One
(edited)

You may think you're part of the swan queen fandom. But you're not. SQ fans are nice.

Not judging all SQ fans, but not all SQ fans are nice. Not all of them are bad, either. But he's making a blanket generalization that just isn't always true. Being part of a certain fandom does not automatically make you "nice". Basic logic, Adam.

Edited by KingOfHearts
  • Love 2

In a way, all the major ships have been "broken up", except Snowing who are absent completely. Emma, Robin, and Belle are all gone. How can you get shippers excited about an upcoming season when none of their ships will be there? This is a scenario where nobody wins.

• Love 3

It must be tough as an actor to answer questions, finding the words on the spot.  Colin said this in the interview with Adam's brother:

"A lot of our fans... are... feel... alone and feel..., and that's what's great about this show, because it gives them hope, and they come together... they... create this whole world and I think it's fantastic."

The part about a lot of the fans of this show feeling alone can definitely be taken out of context.  This show definitely does not give me hope at all, but I agree it did help to create a community of common interest.

• Love 1

I feel like this show, more than others like NCIS or the like, gets lots of fans who tweet the actors like, "I was so depressed and you saved me!" How true that is, or how "saved" they are, IDK. I think Jen said something on this topic as well. 

8 hours ago, Serena said:

I feel like this show, more than others like NCIS or the like, gets lots of fans who tweet the actors like, "I was so depressed and you saved me!" How true that is, or how "saved" they are, IDK. I think Jen said something on this topic as well. 

It's not just this show. Supernatural gets it a lot. Particularly Jared, he's been public about his depression and fans have latched onto that. They treat him like a counselor at cons sometimes , which is totally unfair to him as a person.

Now I latched onto Captain Swan during a real rough patch in my marriage and seeing how I want to be treated (vs how Neal talked to Emma which was a contrast I desperately needed) did help give me the impetus to ask for a divorce, so fiction can influence people's real lives.

In no way do I believe that Colin or JMo were an influential factor outside of their performance though and I would never put anything on them. Or even mention it to them in real life

• Love 6
(edited)

OUAT used to help me with depression somewhat due to its fantastical idealism. (You know, all the Disney magic and "hope" speeches.) But starting around 4B, it would often make me feel even worse because of how bleak and disappointing it was. If you're feeling mild despair, there's nothing more uplifting than the Underworld and villains literally getting away with murder. 

These effects are really minor and don't "save" me or kill me. It's great actors like Colin are attempting to put some good out in the world through their work, but viewers should remember it's mainly for entertainment purposes. It's not counseling or medication. It's Snow White throwing knives with Vikings while her daughter is drinking at Aesop's bar. 

Edited by KingOfHearts
  • Love 3

I think finding a community of like minded people through fandom and the acts of projecting your fantasies on fictional characters or using fictional characters as a temporary escape saves peoples lives. I don't believe people regained the will to live by watching the Frozen arc.

The show is just a medium through which people found other ways to cope. To attribute saving your life to it is giving it too much credit and yourself not enough.