Type keyword(s) to search

Fandom and Viewer Issues: "Fan" Is Short for "Fanatic"

Emma
  • Start Topic

I don't see any sexual chemistry between Regina and Emma, but chemistry can be very subjective. I don't think it's written into canon, and I don't see Lana playing it that way either.

While I agree it's definitely not written into canon (A&E and several of the actors have shot down Regina/Emma numerous times in interviews over the years), and I don't think the actresses have that much chemistry, I actually wouldn't be surprised if Lana has played around with subtext. Lana isn't the most subtle actress, so if I think I'm whiffing subtext, it's probably because it's there. But I 100% believe Jennifer doesn't put any subtext into her scenes with Lana, which is probably why most of the SQ fandom identifies more with Regina than they do Emma.

• Love 3

Jennifer has come across as very stilted, wooden and awkward in recent scenes with Regina, like she's actively trying to not play it emotionally so that it doesn't get taken for subtext.  Given the sheer amount of crap she's gotten from angry SQ shippers over the years, I can't say that I blame her.

And I 100% agree with you on the Rumple/Evil Queen kiss. There was nothing about the scene that didn't make EQ seem pathetic, and that's one I thing I have never thought of her as. Misunderstood, sure, a psychopath, definitely...but never pathetic.

Disagree, the EQ has always been pathetic, she's been pathetic from the start and that was a big part of the character's tragic element....that she is pathologically incapable of getting over her anger and hatred toward Snow to actually find happiness again even when it's right in front of her.

Kissing Rumple, however, is most definitely a new low.

Edited by Mathius
  • Love 3

This is not the first time she has thrown herself at a man and been refused. It happened with Hook in the flashbacks and with cursed David Nolan. The lattar case definitely made her look pathetic.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Mathius said:

Disagree, the EQ has always been pathetic, she's been pathetic from the start and that was a big part of the character's tragic element....that she is pathologically incapable of getting over her anger and hatred toward Snow to actually find happiness again even when it's right in front of her.

Her actions have never been pathetic like they were with the Rumple seduction, in my opinion. The inner anger and resentment and lack of ability to move on from those things may have been pathetic, but I never saw her as someone who would lower herself In such an obvious way.  Her cruelty never took the form of vulnerability.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, Mathius said:

Jennifer has come across as very stilted, wooden and awkward in recent scenes with Regina, like she's actively trying to not play it emotionally so that it doesn't get taken for subtext.

Yes, stilted is the exact word I would use. I've noticed Jennifer will make Emma's voice more monotone and robotic around Regina lately, and it comes off, like you said, unemotional. She doesn't seem to do that for any of the other character interactions. I think the writers went too far too quickly with Regina and Emma's friendship in Season 4 without showing enough of a transition from frenemies to friends on screen, so they've been trying to dial it back ever since. And especially after the heat Jen took in some interviews about Saving Regina vs Saving the Town during the hiatus between Season 4 and Season 5 (the Comic-Con interview where she had that long, stern, and practically prerehearsed answer for the SQ reporter comes to mind), I've noticed a subtle change in how Jen has acted in Emma/Regina scenes since then. In Season 4B, it's almost as if the director told Jennifer to play those scenes as too light and airy, which was too stark of a contrast between their animosity in 4A. Regina hadn't done enough to warrant that kind of kindness from Emma at that point, so it came off as Emma acting OOC. The way Emma and Regina interact now is almost like a step back from where they were in 4B, but it's also more natural for those two characters to be at this level of slight-friendship rather than the insta-BFFs they were trying to sell in 4B. 

Edited by Curio
  • Love 7

So I saw this absolutely adorable tweet from Nick Eversman (Liam 2.0) and it got me thinking about those "fans" who are clamoring for the show to be cancelled because their ship isn't happening or their fav was killed off. Do they not realize how many people would be negatively impacted if the show was to be cancelled? I totally understand being disappointed or disillusioned with a show, but why not just move on and quit watching? Why actively root for hundreds of people to lose their jobs just because they no longer like it? I guess it's the nature of the beast these days, but why can't people just focus on what they love and move on if they hate it? 

• Love 5

I think it's a way to aggressively lobby for what they want.  It's like when kids threaten to do something extreme if they don't get their way;  they don't intend, usually, to actually do it.  They just hope that if the person in charge is scared enough by the threat, things will change.

That, or they just can't handle the idea of something they don't like out in the universe. 

If it's the second one, they should get used to disappointment.  Everyone's idea of a perfect universe is different, and no human is in charge of it.  

• Love 1

To me, this season supports the idea that Adam and Eddy listen to the most vocal fans on twitter. Ever since Season 5 started, people have been complaining about getting too much Captain Swan, and how selfish Emma is, etc.. By the time 5B rolled around, the season had become mostly about Regina and Zelena. One could argue that 5B was too early to change in response to fan reaction. Even if so, Season 6 seems very much a result of them listening to certain sections of the fandom--specifically Regina fans. There's barely any Hook (perhaps in response to the false narrative created by the StopOnceUponaHook movement). Emma and Hook have had very few scenes together, except in the Cinderella episode and "Heartless" in 6A. There have been three isolated Emma/Regina episodes between 5B and 6A. Lana has had the most screentime of all the cast in any season in 6A. And the writers are bringing Robin back to provide "closure" to Regina.

Interestingly, Rumbelle has had the most screentime devoted to them in seasons. However, it feels like their arc is reaching its inevitable conclusion as with any season for that pairing. So, I'm not sure if their arc this season is in response to fan complaints or not. But the EQ/Rumple romance seems like a result of the writers' mistaken idea that adding the EQ to any storyline is likely to be a great thing.  

I used to think CS fans needed to restrain themselves better on twitter, but the latest episode almost had me tweeting up a storm complaining to the writers (I didn't). The squeakiest wheel gets the grease.

• Love 7

I think it's pretty clear that this season is a direct result of the anti-CS/anti-Hook hate on Twitter all last season. Adam interacted with them a TON. All the things they complained about -- too much romance, too much Hook, not enough Regina, not enough Emma/Regina -- have been changed to basically what they wanted, minus canon SQ. (And the season is young!) CS haters tweet him constantly while CSers hardly ever tweet him and they get jumped on by fellow CSers if they tweet him with a complaint. Twitter is a tiny drop in the fandom bucket, but it seems to be what A&E use to gauge fan reaction. The squeaky wheel does get the grease for A&E.

Also, Adam has been DMing fans, including several SQers.

Edited by Souris
  • Love 2
6 minutes ago, Rumsy4 said:

To me, this season supports the idea that Adam and Eddy listen to the most vocal fans on twitter. Ever since Season 5 started, people have been complaining about getting too much Captain Swan, and how selfish Emma is, etc.. By the time 5B rolled around, the season had become mostly about Regina and Zelena. One could argue that 5B was too early to change in response to fan reaction. Even if so, Season 6 seems very much a result of them listening to certain sections of the fandom--specifically Regina fans. There's barely any Hook (perhaps in response to the false narrative created by the StopOnceUponaHook movement). Emma and Hook have had very few scenes together, except in the Cinderella episode and "Heartless" in 6A. There have been three isolated Emma/Regina episodes between 5B and 6A. Lana has had the most screentime of all the cast in any season in 6A. And the writers are bringing Robin back to provide "closure" to Regina.

Interestingly, Rumbelle has had the most screentime devoted to them in seasons. However, it feels like their arc is reaching its inevitable conclusion as with any season for that pairing. So, I'm not sure if their arc this season is in response to fan complaints or not. But the EQ/Rumple romance seems like a result of the writers' mistaken idea that adding the EQ to any storyline is likely to be a great thing.  

I used to think CS fans needed to restrain themselves better on twitter, but the latest episode almost had me tweeting up a storm complaining to the writers (I didn't). The squeakiest wheel gets the grease.

I agree. The writers definitely listen to vocal Twitter fans. I think the criticism that bothers them the most is when fans claim that Emma isn't strong anymore. To their credit, they want their show to be about more than romantic love, and they want to depict empoweted female characters. The claim that they're betraying these goals by pairing Emma with Hook seems to have hit a nerve. 

I also think vocal Twitter fans have a big influence on the Rumbelle relationship. IMO, the relationship is beyond toxic, but just when it seems like the writers have decided to embrace that, they suddenly pull back and give us Rumbelle scenes like last night's. Rumbelle fans often argue that it's supposed to be a show about hope, and I think Adam and Eddy take that to heart. They may not have Rumple and Belle end up together, but I do think they'll give Rumple a far kinder end than he deserves, and that's largely due to the fans.

• Love 1

Well, A&E claimed recently in an interview that they don't write influenced by fans...but we all know how much their word is worth, so....

By the time 5B rolled around, the season had become mostly about Regina and Zelena. One could argue that 5B was too early to change in response to fan reaction.

The S5 finale was definitely made in response to fan reaction, but not 5B as a whole, the Regina-Zelena focus was always gonna happen, fan reaction had nothing to do with that, that was all A&E's love for the Mills family.  And CS still got some pretty good moments in 5B (5x14, 5x15, 5x20, 5x21).

Edited by Mathius
4 hours ago, Mathius said:

No SQ, but Lana was #17 top actress...maybe because SQers reblog more of and care more about Lana (and Regina) than they do JMO (and Emma)?

Well I know that if I go into Jennifer's tag there will be pictures of Lana.  For some reason they tag it with Jennifer even if she's not anywhere in the post at all.  It won't even be swan queen stuff just random tags in the wrong place.  So if they are posting Lana stuff in a completely wrong tag, I figure there's probably even more that is actually tagged correctly.  

Edited by Stuffy

This episode has evoked a more negative response from my corner of tumblr (captain swan) than any other episode since I've been on there. There's a pervasive attitude in the cs fandom that positivity is the most important thing and criticism of the show is obnoxious or means you're the oh so horrible "negative". So it's interesting to see people who are sometimes the always positive police getting upset at the show. But of course, there are some officers who refuse to leave their post. 

I think short of killing off Emma or Killlian, certain people will defend the show to the death. Which whatever, do you. It's the condescending "you just don't get the show" attitude that gets to me. And it's happening even after that garbage fire of an episode. 

I think the always positive attitude is partially a reaction to being disliked by large swaths of the rest of the fandom and trends like Once Upon a Hook and claims that cs is ruining the show. But damn is it annoying to read people defend the show and imply or outright state that people who don't like it don't understand the show or aren't quite smart enough to get the writers' intentions. Off the high horse kids, this show doesn't deserve that sort of defense. It's just not that good and hasn't been for quite awhile. 

excerpt of a response that just annoyed the **** out of me: 

"I understood the ep perfectly as did my husband who has only watched 3 episodes this season. No clarification needed."

"I’m also keeping into consideration the fact that just bc I understood doesn’t mean everyone else did and I’ve literally kept my mouth shut about it." 

"Maybe consider that just bc YOU didn’t understand and didn’t like it, doesn’t mean the entire world has to agree with you."

This isn't the only thing I've seen like this though. I've seen super long meta's describing why it's obvious that the au was a product of EQ's thoughts and intentions. And I get that Adam is now sort of confirming that, but there is nothing in the episode that actually presented this. It's a solid headcanon, but it's not actually what happened. And now I'm seeing most people treat it as such. Even people who aren't being rude or condescending are implying that you just have to understand the episode correctly and the portrayal of Emma makes sense and I'm thinking newp. You liking a meta that someone wrote on tumblr doesn't substitute canon. 

I just want to hate watch this show in peace. :P

• Love 8

Ah yes, the Positivity Police who deem anything approaching criticism as "hate" that makes you a "bad fan." I can't convey the level to which they annoy the ever-living bejesus out of me.

• Love 6

Some of the people I follow who can usually find the silver lining are just silent or posting sad gifs. I mean even tough lass and Lena are sad. It really did hurt Emma fans.

• Love 4

I unfollow anyone that shows a tendency to being a self-appointed fandom policeman.

This season has many of the typically positive bloggers silent or negative. A lot of die-hards in my dash stopped watching around the UW arc or the first episode of this season, and are only sticking around for the fic or artwork. 

I'm astounded that there are people who still like and enjoy the Show, but I typically don't see anyone bashing others of being overly positive.

• Love 1

It seems like if you don't pay too much attention to spoilers or don't care much about pesky things like characterization and canon, then you'll still enjoy the show. It looks like a lot of the Reddit OUAT community liked the last episode, but I also tend to notice that most of those posters don't really remember a lot of the facts correctly or forget major plots from previous seasons. OUAT can probably still be enjoyable if you casually watch it once in a while and don't analyze the writing, but if you pick it apart like we do here, it always shows its flaws.

Edited by Curio
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, Curio said:

It seems like if you don't pay too much attention to spoilers or don't care much about pesky things like characterization and canon, then you'll still enjoy the show. It looks like a lot of the Reddit OUAT community liked the last episode, but I also tend to notice that most of those posters don't really remember a lot of the facts correctly or forget major plots from previous seasons. OUAT can probably still be enjoyable if you casually watch it once in a while and don't analyze the writing, but if you pick it apart like we do here, it always shows its flaws.

I probably fall into this category a bit.  At some point I let go of expecting a good show and watch it like an old school adventure series that is not that deep but has some fun characters and appealing actors.  This board really does analyze any Emma or Regina spoiler or scene (for the opposite reasons) heavily, which most likely affects the viewing experience.  While this season is not great, I think they have done a better job of using more of the cast.  It seems like Charming, Belle and Rumple have been given more to do in than they have had in awhile  I am OK with Regina, although I do hope they give her a rest when the Robin episodes are resolved.   They should have never made him her soul mate before at least chemistry testing the actors and making sure his character worked and that he was not just a nice looking block of wood.

The only thing that really bothers me is the the downplaying of the abusive nature of the Gold-Belle relationship.  I actually have thought Belle's awakening to him is the most interesting they had been in awhile and have enjoyed seeing the actors get the work, but if they completely ignore everything Rumple has done and give them a happy ending it will leave a bitter after taste.  Even if you ignore how Gold has treated Belle - he has shown no remorse every time he has betrayed the heroes the last two seasons.

What I find very strange is that in the cs fandom there fans who say they are fans of Emma first and CS but don't seem to see that she has been reduce to second to Regina. 

Maybe, they hope that the focus will change to Emma back in 6b or next year but never this has been less a ensemble show than now.  There obvious red flag about Emma importance that should concern all people claiming to Emma, Hook or cs.

Anyway, I am definitely worry and it is annoying that all criticism is diminish as only wanted more CS kissing. I will like is Emma having a real meaty storyline( maybe 6b will be better), a focus on her relationship with her parents and on her relationship with Killian. More we are nearest the end of all the serie the more its the relationship that still are undevelop.

• Love 4

@Curio -- I've also been looking at the Reddit board after this to get a different perspective and it's amazing to me that there really isn't anyone there saying they didn't like the episode. But here and tumblr are full with negative feedback. So are we normal or are we the Negative Nancies?

I also think that it's a problem when you have to have writers explain things after a finale like this because it's confusing for fans. I felt a little better about Emma's characterization after Adam's tweets but why wasn't there a simple line in the show to explain it? I wonder if other fans who aren't as involved on boards and tumblr give up on the show because they're not as plugged into the creators/writers on social media to flesh out things that aren't on screen. 

So ever since the official Once twitter account posted this "Weekend brunch with the family" tweet, the Hook haters (aka the SQ fandom) have been in Adam's mentions arguing that throwing out Henry's pop tarts makes Hook a child abuser. Adam even went as far as to defend Hook with a tweet: "Hook  didn't want Henry to get scurvy. He was looking out for his well being." Some are still at it sending Adam links to articles defining child abuse and saying it doesn't matter what Adam says, it is abuse.

I try really hard to ignore most of what these folks say as I generally feel like they are watching a completely different show than me. But honestly the intentional mis-interpretation of scenes (esp. one as innocuous as this) just gets to me. Do these people even know and understand what child abuse is? I just can't with them anymore. Some of them honestly appear to have no life beyond hating on a fictional character/ship.

• Love 2

So what if someone defines it as child abuse? Why can't the characters do what they're allowed to in their own universe? Why must we hold fictional people up to our own standards? Henry was allowed to react to Hook, even for such a small thing. It's not like Hook beat him out back and he couldn't say anything.

Edited by KingOfHearts

I think it's safe to say that Adam and Eddy will scrap any planned Captain Cobra scenes in the future. After all, they can't dare to upset the super important Twitter brats.

• Love 2
59 minutes ago, Kktjones said:

I try really hard to ignore most of what these folks say as I generally feel like they are watching a completely different show than me. But honestly the intentional mis-interpretation of scenes (esp. one as innocuous as this) just gets to me. Do these people even know and understand what child abuse is? I just can't with them anymore. Some of them honestly appear to have no life beyond hating on a fictional character/ship.

Oh, co-opting serious real-life issues in an attempt to score ship points and run down CS/Hook is a tried-and-true method for them. Facts & canon don't matter to them in the slightest; it's all about repeatedly spinning things in a way they can use as a bludgeon against CS/Hook, regardless how ridiculous the argument or framing. It's worked well for them in the past with Adam, even though others can see right through their machinations.

CS fans need to figure out a way to mobilize and defend Adam in these situations. I feel like we assume that since we're the canon ship that we don't have to defend our place on the hill, and then we get stupid crap like two Reginas and the Swan Queen wish realm. What does it take to get him to realize that these people are a vocal but very small minority?

And btw, going on about child abuse but completely ignoring Graham being raped or Emma being verbally abused or murdering her parents in the wish realm? Ok, sure.

• Love 1

Adam doesn't need defending, but I think the CS fandom missed the boat on defending the ship. In S5, we grew complacent thinking A&E wouldn't listen to the "Stop Once Upon a Hook" movement, and assumed the writers were reasonable people who would see beyond ship wars.

However, we failed to take into account the Regina permaboner the writers have; they listened to the "fans" that resonated with their biases the most. I bet A&E assumed that if they increased the focus on Regina, the ratings would go up. But it just backfired, and the writers seem to have lost the ability to even tell a cohesive story in the interest of fan-pandering.

• Love 7

But it just backfired, and the writers seem to have lost the ability to even tell a cohesive story in the interest of fan-pandering.

Fan-pandering this late in the game shouldn't even be that bad. But, they only pander to one group of fans.

Edited by KingOfHearts
2 hours ago, Rumsy4 said:

Adam doesn't need defending, but I think the CS fandom missed the boat on defending the ship. In S5, we grew complacent thinking A&E wouldn't listen to the "Stop Once Upon a Hook" movement, and assumed the writers were reasonable people who would see beyond ship wars.

Exactly. CS fans are complacent & thought they didn't have to show support for CS, Hook or Emma, so they just ignored the Stop Once Upon a Hook business as pointless noise that would be ignored. But the SQ tactics worked. CS & Hook have been all but written off the show; they get zero focus or significant moments anymore. Clearly, A&E listened to the the anti-CS faction because that minority of the fandom was louder than the CS faction and because it lined up with what they prioritized. They played A&E like a fiddle while the CS fandom stayed in their corner and yelled at any CS fans who brought up any issues to Adam.

Edited by Souris
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, KingOfHearts said:

Fan-pandering this late in the game shouldn't even be that bad. But, they only pander to one group of fans.

And they got the drop in ratings they deserved...AND the rabid SQers (not to be confused with the perfectly nice SQ fans) are STILL whinging because their crack ship still isn't canon.

I wonder how far A&E will go to make that faction happy? I'm truly surprised they didn't split Emma and match her up with the EQ instead of Rumple! *vomit *

2 hours ago, KingOfHearts said:

The ironic thing is that I don't think even the fans they are pandering to are happy. Even though Regina/EQ has, by far, the most screen time, her storyline hasn't really amounted to much. And of course the SQ contingent, while happy about 6x10, will never be happy b/c there is no way they are breaking up CS. So at this point, I can't think of one fandom that is happy with 6A and what is predicted for 6B.

I am not convinced that they are pandering to a faction of fans.  The story they are telling is too in line with the long observed preferences that they are pretty blatant about in the recap specials vis a vis Regina and with their weaknesses in storytelling.  And they aren't even really hinting at the ships that are supposedly getting the pandering.  If they are just pandering to Regina fans, she wouldn't be willy-nilly killing the heroes doppelgangers or random villagers.

I think that its more likely that Captain Swan going to the background is a response to network interference.  In that I think that the network pushed Captain Swan to the front because of promotion and that things have changed and they are getting less interference (because the network is no longer trying to fix this show and has cut their losses) and A&E are telling the story they want.

Its hard to say anything for sure because any failure to effectively pander to a group of fans can be chalked up to ineptitude and we know there is ineptitude.

I also think they know that Hook and Emma are popular and its just not the story they want to tell because they are always script teasing Hook's one line per episode to get the online / twitter fandom to watch.

Edited by ParadoxLost
  • Love 4

I do believe the CS suffer from being trying to be too nice and good fans of the show

Every faction in the Once fandom seems to clamor only for their fans or ship and have a screw anything else mentality. But, if I do believe there going to a little more focus on Emma and cs in the  6b my interest is already more on the probable last season next year. 

Normally, after so much focus on Regina, Rumbelle and even snowing the focus should be back to Emma. So, I am waiting to see. Anyway, I really don't think how it will be a good strategy marketing wise to just focusing on Regina again. It didn't pay off this year rating wise and there been any buzz in the media around it. Her fans will still be following her next year but they will want the CS, Emma and Hook fans.

So, if the focus is not on Emma, her parents and Hook.  I will definitely know something is rotten in Storybook.

On 2/1/2017 at 2:57 AM, Souris said:

Exactly. CS fans are complacent & thought they didn't have to show support for CS, Hook or Emma, so they just ignored the Stop Once Upon a Hook business as pointless noise that would be ignored. But the SQ tactics worked. CS & Hook have been all but written off the show; they get zero focus or significant moments anymore. Clearly, A&E listened to the the anti-CS faction because that minority of the fandom was louder than the CS faction and because it lined up with what they prioritized. They played A&E like a fiddle while the CS fandom stayed in their corner and yelled at any CS fans who brought up any issues to Adam.

Being a fan of a tv shows shouldn't be a job, though, where if you don't show enough enthusiasm, you get demoted. That's exhausting. Who has time for that?

• Love 10
1 hour ago, Serena said:

Who has time for that?

Have you seen some of these fans on twitter? I think some have made hating on Hook and CaptainSwan their full time jobs (and they're working overtime most days)!

• Love 2
44 minutes ago, Kktjones said:

Have you seen some of these fans on twitter? I think some have made hating on Hook and CaptainSwan their full time jobs (and they're working overtime most days)!

Jobs? Try lives.

I'm gonna admit something. I used to like Hook and Emma a lot, but I have started avoiding even this forum because of all the CS stuff. I rarely go to the spoiler thread anymore, because it has become mainly about CS not getting enough screen time or worrying about why we haven't seen or heard about them fucking yet.

For me, this is an ensemble show not just The Hook & Emma Show. I don't like all the Regina/EQ screentime either, just to clarify.  

• Love 10
On 1/5/2017 at 0:52 PM, Kktjones said:

Ugh, couldn't get rid of the old reply box I already replied to ages ago!

Big Once fan site is shutting down at the end of the season. Truthfully I never followed them, but I think they were pretty well-known. It seems even hardcore fans are rapidly losing interest.

Edited by Souris
16 minutes ago, Souris said:

Ugh, couldn't get rid of the old reply box I already replied to ages ago!

Big Once fan site is shutting down at the end of the season. Truthfully I never followed them, but I think they were pretty well-known. It seems even hardcore fans are rapidly losing interest.

They were very well known for their complete disrespect of Hook and CS on the show. They were very well known for being bitter SF/Neal fans to the end. 

It's okay though, they already said they're still doing their podcast. So they'll still rant about how much they hate CS and Hook and how amazing Neal was and should never have died.

I know this is completely anecdotal, but I find it curious that even my friends who only casually watch the show have quit on it this season. Usually they're only a few episodes behind and they'll get excited to talk about the episodes with me once they catch up, but they haven't even put in the effort to watch past episode two or three this season. When I ask why, they just don't seem to care about the characters anymore. I can't say I disagree with them. (One friend, who doesn't even know what the term "fandom" is, randomly said the show would be a lot better if it only focused on Emma and Killian. I contained my laughter and wasn't even going to begin to explain to her the concept of CS, SQ, OQ, and RB in terms of the current OUAT fandom...)

• Love 5

(One friend, who doesn't even know what the term "fandom" is, randomly said the show would be a lot better if it only focused on Emma and Killian. I contained my laughter and wasn't even going to begin to explain to her the concept of CS, SQ, OQ, and RB in terms of the current OUAT fandom...)

I've always believed it's the writing that has separated the fandom into different "camps" for certain ships/characters. Because only certain interactions between characters are allowed, and the subplots rarely intersect meaningfully, there's essentially multiple shows within the show. If you only care about Emma, you can fast forward Rumple because he rarely does anything with her. If you're an Evil Regal, why would you care about Charming's daddy issues? The narrative is just all over the place and thus, so is the audience.

To me, Captain Swan deserves more focus because the writers seem to be more adept at writing it. It's not that I'm a screaming shipper, but their story is handled much more organically. The other couples aren't necessarily bad on paper. A&E just don't know what to do with them. They've always had a better heading with CS. I would find Rumpbelle intriguing if the show recognized how toxic it was. Outlaw Queen would have presented great drama if Robin was allowed to react to Regina's past in a human way. Snowing had more potential with their issues surrounding their children than conflict between each other, imo.

Edited by KingOfHearts
  • Love 7
20 minutes ago, KingOfHearts said:

I've always believed it's the writing that has separated the fandom into different "camps" for certain ships/characters. Because only certain interactions between characters are allowed, and the subplots rarely intersect meaningfully, there's essentially multiple shows within the show.

Especially lately, it really does seem like the show is turning into a lot of unrelated mini shows crammed into 43 minutes. (It almost feels like Portlandia that way.) OUAT is the first show where I've seen a lot of fans only watch their favorite character's scenes on Youtube and completely ignore everything else. 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Curio said:

Especially lately, it really does seem like the show is turning into a lot of unrelated mini shows crammed into 43 minutes. (It almost feels like Portlandia that way.) OUAT is the first show where I've seen a lot of fans only watch their favorite character's scenes on Youtube and completely ignore everything else. 

I don't know. I feel like Lost started to get that way in the final seasons, particularly with the Jack/Sawyer/Kate/Juliet craziness. It may seem like Once is more fragmented, but there are plenty of shows with ensemble casts that have had that issues, especially as the season progressed.