Type keyword(s) to search

Fandom and Viewer Issues: "Fan" Is Short for "Fanatic"

Emma
  • Start Topic

Yeah, I guess what I meant is that OUAT is the first fandom I've been personally involved in where I've seen it on this level. I was pretty involved with the Supernatural fandom for a while, and even back in the days of Season 3 where everyone seemed to hate the new girls, it didn't seem like the vast majority of the fandom blatantly ignored their scenes or only watched Youtube clips of Sam and Dean to avoid the new ladies. If that was the OUAT fandom, fans would have gone out of their way to not only skip all the scenes with Bela or Ruby, but they'd also create false narratives and say that those characters did things they clearly never did in canon. I guess that's what we get for living in a post-truth, social warrior society now...

• Love 1

With no unifying story among the main characters, there's very little need to even care about any character who isn't associated with your favorites. If you watch for Regina, do you care at all about Belle's problems? If you only watch for Captain Swan, would you have even seen Zelena this season? Because of the silos the writers have created, various fandoms don't even have to know what's happening with the others.

• Love 4

With no unifying story among the main characters, there's very little need to even care about any character who isn't associated with your favorites. If you watch for Regina, do you care at all about Belle's problems? If you only watch for Captain Swan, would you have even seen Zelena this season? Because of the silos the writers have created, various fandoms don't even have to know what's happening with the others.

The characters are in desperate need of a unifying external conflict. In 3A, everyone but Belle had the motivation to save Henry and escape Neverland. That was the point of the series with the most balance between all the ships and characters. Everyone had something to do, and because they were in close quarters, they were forced to interact with one another. If your favorite character's journey to their goal could be affected by characters you didn't really care about, then you would have a reason to watch all scenes.

Edited by KingOfHearts
  • Love 5

That is an extremely good point about how the writing of the show has compartmentalized the fandom because of how horribly the stories are compartmentalized.

They really did so many things wrong with this show that ended up hurting it.

• Love 2

Maybe it's partly a positive feedback loop.  They get the social media calls from the various fandoms, so they come up with these discrete subplots to "satisfy" the various fandoms, which further compartmentalizes the show and the various fandoms.  

Rumple though has always been somewhat compartmentalized.  Even in 3A, he spent some episodes by himself following that doll, or having conversations with Fake Belle.  One could argue that everyone in 5B had the goal of escaping Hades and the Underworld.  

One could argue that everyone in 5B had the goal of escaping Hades and the Underworld.  

Escaping the Underworld didn't have much urgency, though. Emma was the only one pressed to save Hook. The Gold and Mills families were off in their own drama. Snow, Charming, Henry and Robin had no business being there. Operation Firebird was a laughable distraction that went nowhere. There was a lot more compartmentalizing in that arc than in 3A. Stopping Hades became a lower priority under other matters. (Don't forget that waking Dorothy sidetracked all the heroes for an entire episode.)

Edited by KingOfHearts
  • Love 1

In 3A, it mattered what was happening with Rumpel even though he was off on his own. Was he there to save Henry or kill him? What was up with his relationship with Pan? Could this affect the plan to save Henry? On the other hand, 5B had everyone in one place, but Rumpel's drama was separate from everyone else's. He disappeared for entire episodes and none of the others cared. He was working his own angle to get out and couldn't care less about anyone else. He left alone while they were all locked in the library. His part was irrelevant to the rest of the group after Devil's Due. That's the difference.

When all the stories are segregated, it makes it really easy for a fandom to simply stick to their own favorites. Rumbellers can easily keep track of their faves without any need to watch anything else. Hate Hook? Skipping all scenes with him in it makes for excellent Swan Queen fun. Why would you actually watch a full episode when picking out only certain scenes basically offers the perfect fan experience. You're not missing anything.

• Love 4
15 hours ago, KingOfHearts said:

Escaping the Underworld didn't have much urgency, though. Emma was the only one pressed to save Hook. The Gold and Mills families were off in their own drama. Snow, Charming, Henry and Robin had no business being there. Operation Firebird was a laughable distraction that went nowhere. There was a lot more compartmentalizing in that arc than in 3A. Stopping Hades became a lower priority under other matters. (Don't forget that waking Dorothy sidetracked all the heroes for an entire episode.)

Exactly, even then there was no tension since we all knew the outcome of the arc, it was just there for them to put out cameos (and then even more in 6b), even Hood fell flat.

Lately I've been seeing a lot of fandom extremes. I mean, the Once fandom has always been extreme, but lately it seems even more so. Either people are very critical of and fed up with the show (I fall in this camp) or people are overly optimistic and refuse to even consider the possibility that there may be valid criticisms out there. It's kind of amazing that this show has such an impact. 

I feel really frustrated with the writers because I believe they've wasted so much of the show's potential, especially in regards to Captain Swan, which makes me sadder than I care to admit. But at the same time, I wouldn't go so far as to say that the writers are out to get certain sections of the fandom, that they're deliberately trying to troll or piss off certain fans, or that they're malicious people, as I've seen some fans suggest. IMO, Adam and Eddy, like most writers, are trying to tell the story that they want to tell while also trying to draw in as many fans as possible. Sometimes this may mean that they pander to certain vocal fandoms, which can be really frustrating for other fandoms. But at the same time, I also get the sense that Adam and Eddy really do care about some of the issues fans are raising. They want to give young girls strong female role models to look up to. They want to provide LGBT representation. IMO, they haven't done a good job of addressing these valid and important issues, but I think (or hope) that their hearts are at least in the right place. At the end of the day, they're just regular people who have made some poor storytelling/showrunning decisions. They aren't villains. 

I totally get being invested in a TV series. I'm obviously very invested in Once, and I often get (and sometimes give in to) the urge to rant at Adam on Twitter. It's easy for passionate fans to lose perspective and begin getting personal with the writers. Maybe Adam and Eddy have neglected certain characters and fan groups. Maybe they haven't delivered on promises. That sucks. But it's their show and they have the right to do that, just as fans have a right to criticize it. I just feel like things are maybe getting a little more intense than usual lately.

And the same goes for the reverse. I get that it's hard seeing fellow fans give up hope or lose interest in a show or couple that you love, and it's easy to become defensive. But everyone has a right to their own reaction. Positivity is great but so is criticism. I love reading the full range of reactions (when expressed in a respectful way).

Again, I'm kind of in awe that this show inspires such passion. That's one point to the writers: they definitely succeeded in creating characters that we care about.

• Love 6
6 hours ago, Katherine said:

Lately I've been seeing a lot of fandom extremes. I mean, the Once fandom has always been extreme, but lately it seems even more so.

I truly think if 6x10 wasn't such a cluster, the fandom wouldn't be in the shape it's in right now. It's kind of like when your favorite sports team is on a long losing streak — it doesn't matter if they won the huge tournament three years ago, all that matters in the moment is their current record. Until they get a W, everyone's going to be pissed off. OUAT hasn't had a W on their schedule in months, and the last game they played going into the hiatus was one of the most embarrassing losses in the show's history.

If 6x11 is a great episode, fandom attitudes will flip instantly.

Edited by Curio
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Curio said:

I truly think if 6x10 wasn't such a cluster, the fandom wouldn't be in the shape it's in right now.

I think that if they had aired 6x11 either on the same night or the following week, the enthusiasm for the show might be a bit higher than what it is right now.

I feel like ABC screwed the show over though. They said there would be no more half arcs, so no more half arcs. And then they said there would be no more 3 month hiatuses. I feel like the episode was written with that in mind (although not the Emma part and the very ill-conceived world. That's entirely on the writers). That episode is not a stand alone, and there's a difference between a 6 to 9 weeks hiatus where they would have been doing spoilers, and press (maybe), and waiting around for 10 weeks before they start giving the show some kind of a promotion for its return. Is Once the only show on a 3 month hiatus for ABC? Pretty sure they are. So maybe they wrote the episode thinking that they would have a short break, and then were told it would be a lot longer.

I agree ABC did them a disservice.  It looked like they were fiddling around with the schedule into December.  The half-season arc format was not the major problem with the show per se, so specifying that they had to do a full-season arc without actually addressing any of the actual problems was a recipe for disaster.  

I can see why A&E don't take fan input seriously.  He posted a Twitter comment about something from the Phantom Menace and most of the replies are completely unrelated, just stuff like "SQ" with hearts, or "Make SQ canon" or "I love CS" or "Keep Robin alive".  

• Love 2
30 minutes ago, Camera One said:

He posted a Twitter comment about something from the Phantom Menace and most of the replies are completely unrelated, just stuff like "SQ" with hearts, or "Make SQ canon" or "I love CS" or "Keep Robin alive".  

He posted a picture of a sculpture his daughter made and that's the response he got. 

• Love 1

Jane Espenson ‏@JaneEspenson  19h19 hours ago

@katieekovach I suppose a case can be made that democracy is a system of alternating tantrums until common ground is found.

----

She was talking about the political situation, but it seems like an apt description of how "Once" seems to be written too.

Edited by Camera One
6 hours ago, YaddaYadda said:

I think that if they had aired 6x11 either on the same night or the following week, the enthusiasm for the show might be a bit higher than what it is right now.

It would have been the same or even worse. There isn't a single spoiler about 6x11 that makes me think it's going to be good. Not one. If they has showed both episodes together not only Emma's fans would be mad, Hook's fans would be fuming. 

Spoiler

At least those who think that alcoholism, overweight and disability are not things to make fun of.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Camera One said:

Jane Espenson ‏@JaneEspenson  19h19 hours ago

@katieekovach I suppose a case can be made that democracy is a system of alternating tantrums until common ground is found.

----

She was talking about the political situation, but it seems like an apt description of how "Once" seems to be written too.

I doubt that there is much finding common ground among differing opinions of the OUAT writers.

I think its more likely that there is an official direction and everyone gets in line and has lower level meetings about how to toe the party line before talking to A&E while privately griping in the hall about WTF the powers that be are doing.  Basically, corporate America.

Edited by ParadoxLost
  • Love 1

I'm only a reddit lurker, but if anyone here has an account, go send her some questions. 

I posted a question. We'll see if I become famous. I can't wait for A&E's "Can't say." It's Regina-related, so Abrams will probably pick it. I've actually gotten replies from both Adam and Jane before on Twitter, so this wouldn't be my first claim to fame. The trick is to never ask anything too intelligent.

Edited by KingOfHearts
  • Love 2
2 minutes ago, KingOfHearts said:

I posted a question. We'll see if I become famous.

Crossing my fingers for you! Say...want to ask if Emma will ever find out Regina killed Graham for me? ;)

Just now, Curio said:

Crossing my fingers for you! Say...want to ask if Emma will ever find out Regina killed Graham for me? ;)

They'd probably make some snarky remark about people asking the same ridiculous things over again. They'd lump it with the "When is Neal coming back?" questions.

• Love 1
16 minutes ago, KingOfHearts said:

I posted a question. We'll see if I become famous. I can't wait for A&E's "Can't say." It's Regina-related, so Abrams will probably pick it. I've actually gotten replies from both Adam and Jane before on Twitter, so this wouldn't be my first claim to fame. The trick is to never ask anything too intelligent.

Not necessarily, I asked Adam on Twitter prior to the 3B finale if it would be obvious if the time travel was an open or closed loop and he did answer that it should be obvious which by the end of the episode. 

He does love his time travel after all.

Not necessarily, I asked Adam on Twitter prior to the 3B finale if it would be obvious if the time travel was an open or closed loop and he did answer that it should be obvious which by the end of the episode. 

I had asked Jane for the meaning behind the episode title, "Fall". She said it was meant to signify the incoming doom of the shattered sight spell, with the falling glass shards being the more literal side of it. She didn't give me any Titan Heart™ bs, so that was nice.

Edited by KingOfHearts

I actually have used the term "frustration watching" to explain my complicated relationship with OUAT. This was in response to someone saying the usual variation of "don't like, don't watch", or saying people who are critical of the show are "hate-watching". Last week I got caught up in a long-winded argument with one of those super-positive fans who keep insisting "don't like, don't watch". They eventually claimed that one needed a journalism degree to properly appreciate OUAT, and that criticizing the show is disrespectful to the writers, cast, and crew. I noped out when they got personal. 

Edited by Rumsy4
  • Love 4

To me, it's "still like 1/1000000th of the show, still watch".

My true "hate watches" are "don't like, but still watch because I like to complete things".

I do think it's unpleasant if fans constantly express their hope that a show be cancelled because they personally don't like it and see zero redeeming value to it.  Why deprive people who actually still like it from enjoying it?  In those situations, I do wish those people would just quit and pretend the show was cancelled.

Edited by Camera One
  • Love 4
52 minutes ago, Shanna Marie said:

But what if you do have a journalism degree? Are you allowed to criticize it then?

You probably took the wrong classes if you're not appreciative of A&E's genius. ;-)

• Love 5

Yeah, I'm finding the "positivity police" a bit hard to take of late. To me it's one thing to hate everything about the show and constantly hate on the creators, writers, actors, and other fans calling them racist, homophobic, misogynistic, etc. because, for example, they don't like your fanon ship. It's another to generally like what they've done, but be critical of the shallow writing and gaping plot holes. To me the former is an exercise in frustration (for them and everyone else) and I would advise those people to turn the channel. The latter is how many people consume media.

I don't particularly like much on the show anymore, but I'm not calling for it to be cancelled or personally attacking anyone. Since I tend to finish shows, I will stick with it to the end. I'm also overly invested in Emma & Hook and their happy ending.

Edited by Kktjones
  • Love 8
2 hours ago, Shanna Marie said:

But what if you do have a journalism degree? Are you allowed to criticize it then?

1 hour ago, Rumsy4 said:

You probably took the wrong classes if you're not appreciative of A&E's genius. ;-)

I actually have a degree in journalism. And I trully can't appreciate A&E's genius. I guess I have to give it back ;-)

• Love 7

My true "hate watches" are "don't like, but still watch because I like to complete things".

I do think it's unpleasant if fans constantly express their hope that a show be cancelled because they personally don't like it and see zero redeeming value to it.  Why deprive people who actually still like it from enjoying it?  In those situations, I do wish those people would just quit and pretend the show was cancelled.

I can't tell if I'm "hate watching". I have no faith the show is going to get better. Zero. I fully believe it's only to get worse as it continues. I don't care if it gets cancelled or not, because it'll suck either way. That being said, I still enjoy the premise and setting. It's fun to analyze. Mostly, I'm still watching because I'm committed to going down with the ship. I actually don't hate the horribleness all the time. Sometimes it's entertaining for how bad it is. So, I guess it's a mixture of anger and amusement. It's difficult to put it into words.

Honestly, being able to discuss it is what makes it so enjoyable still. I hate parts of it, but not all of it.

Edited by KingOfHearts
  • Love 4

I've "hate watched" a lot of shows unfortunately, and to me, it's when I don't enjoy anything about the show... don't like the majority of the characters, nor the setting.  I'm not a huge fan of violence, but I also really like sci/fi-fantasy, so I often start watching shows that do have violence in it because of the interesting premise, but then it becomes a slog because every episode people get cut down and die, long after the intrigue of the premise is gone.

For many shows, even the ones I don't hate watch, I tend to watch at the same time as doing paperwork.  

"Once" is one of the few shows where I actually give my full attention.  I feel like I need to pay full attention if I plan to analyze it to death, LOL.  With many shows, I do try to log onto their corresponding forum, and I find I have nothing to say.  

Edited by Camera One
  • Love 2

It's so strange why I/we analyze OUAT so much, when the worldbuilding is so poor, and the writers clearly don't put half as much thought into the writing as theorists and fanfic writers do. But hyper-analyzing the Show seems part of the fun. I think part of it's becasue A&E are going off the LOST model, which also involved massive amounts of fan-theorizing (and varying degrees of payoff or lack thereof depending on who you ask). A&E are constantly trying to one-up the fans by throwing in random twists, and we the fans still spend unhealthy amounts of time overanalyzing the Show. We know we're never going to get the satisfaction of predicting stuff correctly as with the HP series, or shows like Westworld. It's like we all consciously acknowledge and willingly participate in this farce. There's a degree of symbiosis between writers and fans that's sort of detrimental to the quality of the writing in OUAT (because, despite what Adam and Eddy claim--they do listen to the fandom), and yet craves audience participation. It's like the relationship between Belle and Rumple. We just can't let go. 

Edited by Rumsy4
massive rewording
  • Love 3

It's also because this show offers a smorgasbord of potential worlds to talk about.  Discussion on a show like "Emerald City" or "Gotham" is restrictive because you only discuss one world and how those characters have been adapted.  

But "Once" provides a gateway to discussing traditional fairy tales, Disney adaptations, classic literature, mythology, magic/fantasy (wizard, witches, fairies, etc.), science fiction (time travel, alt worlds, etc.), the "real world" characterization, plus all the potential connections among them.  Even though none of the potential is realized, fans can bring a lot of conjecture into the discussion and each failed plot point can be a jumping off point that fires off our own imaginations.

On this forum, we're left out of the symbiosis since that's mostly between the Writers and Twitter.  

So are we Belle or are we Rumple.  (Don't answer that.  Need to grab that chipped cup for a spot of tea now.)

Edited by Camera One
  • Love 1

I was frustrate watching for awhile for sure. I couldn't take it anymore and I've stopped watching. But I still care enough about CS and enjoy talking to y'all enough to pay attention to what's happening. I don't know what the heck that is classified as!

• Love 2

I also have a journalism degree, and I also apparently missed the critical class, because I couldn't tell you which part of my degree is supposed to help me properly appreciate this mess.

I do like the term "frustration watching," though. I'm definitely not quite hate watching, but I also don't love it nearly as much as I used to. Nor am I basically indifferent but still watching out of habit. I think I'm still watching because there really was, and still is, so much potential. Maybe there's even a teeny sliver of me that still holds on to a tiny shred of hope that some of that potential will be realized. But mostly, I'm just frustrated. And still watching.

• Love 6

I am not frustrating watching because why? Make me watch something will annoy me? I already watch the news for that!

So, I keep up with the Mills by this forum mostly and only watch episode that sound to interesting to me.  I had beginning that since the final last year and it save me time and boredom. 

Don't feel I missed anything!! 

But I have a feeling I am not real hard core Once fans. 

On ‎2‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 6:33 PM, KingOfHearts said:

I can't tell if I'm "hate watching". I have no faith the show is going to get better. Zero. I fully believe it's only to get worse as it continues. I don't care if it gets cancelled or not, because it'll suck either way. That being said, I still enjoy the premise and setting. It's fun to analyze. Mostly, I'm still watching because I'm committed to going down with the ship. I actually don't hate the horribleness all the time. Sometimes it's entertaining for how bad it is. So, I guess it's a mixture of anger and amusement. It's difficult to put it into words.

Honestly, being able to discuss it is what makes it so enjoyable still. I hate parts of it, but not all of it.

I'm dejected watching.  I actually think that the show is no worse in 6A than last season on average.  On average is the key phrase.  I haven't hit an episode yet that was so terrible that I just shut it off.  That hasn't happened in the last couple half seasons. 

But I hit my wall on losing hope at the mid-season finale.  That episode had all the hallmarks of the type of episode they are supposed to know how to make fun and it just wasn't any fun at all. Plus it pointed out all the familial/relationship missed opportunities and emphasized that while there always are those to complain about every season that they didn't even throw me a bone on the handful of relationships I really care about.   Usually I can count on at least one episode; but really nothing this time.

Will I quit watching?  I don't know.  I didn't realize how easy it would be to give up Walking Dead but Neegan did one monologue too many.  There is probably a similar switch in my head for OUAT but I don't know what it is.

I will say that I've been starting to think that a live episode thread would make it a thousand times easier to make it through the episodes.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, ParadoxLost said:

I will say that I've been starting to think that a live episode thread would make it a thousand times easier to make it through the episodes.

The mods usually do live threads for the premieres and finales, which is nice. But what I really like about this forum is how quick everyone is to jump online and post in the episode thread immediately after the episode ends. 

I think just about the only thing that can get me to stop watching this show 100% is if they kill off Hook permanently. Anything else can happen and I'll still begrudgingly watch.

• Love 4

I would say that I'm hope watching. This show is like that children's book about the good little bad little girl -- when it's good, it's wonderful, but when it's bad, it's utterly terrible. It's a show of moments, and some of those moments have been so good that it's worth sitting through all the bad stuff in hope of getting one of those moments that makes your heart soar and makes you believe in magic. Unfortunately, those moments are becoming fewer and more spread out. I'm not sure there's really been one this season so far. They're focusing the show on the elements that don't create those beautiful moments (for me, at least) and sidelining the elements that in the past have made it worth watching. It's really the ultimate YouTube show -- you can get all the good stuff in little clips without really missing out on anything important.

And then there's the discussion. In addition to the things mentioned above that make it fun to discuss -- the storybook source material, the characters, etc., -- I think a lot of it has to do with the particular posters here and what they bring to the table. There are other shows I've liked and wanted to discuss, but it's hard to get anyone to say anything of substance.

• Love 7
2 hours ago, Shanna Marie said:

I would say that I'm hope watching. This show is like that children's book about the good little bad little girl -- when it's good, it's wonderful, but when it's bad, it's utterly terrible.

I'm right there with you. I wade through mountains and mountains of crap just to see a beautiful diamond every once in awhile. This show just has SO much potential, and there are some characters that I love SO much and some scenes and episodes that are SO good, that I just cant give this show up. I feel like there is a great show here, desperately fighting to get out, and we get to see that show every once in awhile, when its not stuck up its own ass.

And, really, if I didn't care about this show, I wouldn't be this angry at it. There are plenty of shows I watch that also do stupid stuff and piss me off, but this is the show that drives me up the wall, because I care about it more then those other shows. I'm angry because I feel like they could do better, and I live in eternal hope that they will.

• Love 4

I feel like I'm a gold miner who got lucky and stumbled upon some good nuggets a few years ago and figured I'd find a golden nugget once a month consistently, but now I haven't found any gold in years and I'm too stubborn to admit that maybe I should just leave and find a new place to mine for gold. I honestly can't remember the last time where I genuinely enjoyed an entire OUAT episode. The pinnacle for me is still the Season 3 finale, but "Birth" is pretty high up there, too. The "Wish You Were Here" episode had the potential to be an all-time favorite, but then they went and made it my least favorite episode ever.

• Love 10
1 hour ago, Curio said:

I feel like I'm a gold miner who got lucky and stumbled upon some good nuggets a few years ago and figured I'd find a golden nugget once a month consistently, but now I haven't found any gold in years and I'm too stubborn to admit that maybe I should just leave and find a new place to mine for gold. I honestly can't remember the last time where I genuinely enjoyed an entire OUAT episode. The pinnacle for me is still the Season 3 finale, but "Birth" is pretty high up there, too. The "Wish You Were Here" episode had the potential to be an all-time favorite, but then they went and made it my least favorite episode ever.

Yep..what you said...

You mean like those people on Twitter who respond to every tweet by Adam, including ones that have zero to do with Once, with things like "Swan Queen!!!!!!" and "Captain Swan 5eva!!!"? What's the point of that? There's just so much noise on social media that it's hard to actually have meaningful interaction.

• Love 4
28 minutes ago, KAOS Agent said:

You mean like those people on Twitter who respond to every tweet by Adam, including ones that have zero to do with Once, with things like "Swan Queen!!!!!!" and "Captain Swan 5eva!!!"? What's the point of that? There's just so much noise on social media that it's hard to actually have meaningful interaction.

Well, yeah, there's those people. Then there's casual watchers who use more words, but they mostly just react. They don't ponder deeper meanings or how the writing is supposed to function.