Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E05: Home Invasion

jewel21
  • Start Topic

Athena investigates when the same house is hit with two home invasion 9-1-1 calls within hours of each other; The 118 race to the rescue when a D-I-Y home renovation traps a man in an attic; Hen asks for a second chance with her medical school professor; Maddie and Chimney regret hiring a nanny for Jee-Yun after the woman completely takes over their apartment.

Airdate: 10/17/2022

1 minute ago, Kleav said:

Who were the people who ended up with Hoover—do we know them?

That was the couple where the lady called 911 because of the raccoon. Her husband travels a lot but he came home early after he heard about the break-in, and he got shot. 

Edited by Mediocre Gatsby
  • Like 2
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, anna0852 said:

Is Aisha leaving the show? Cause this felt like Aisha is leaving. 

I think it’s a fake out, I feel like the final scene is a set up for her to realise she’d rather stay a paramedic

Edited by MarquisDeCarabas
ETA thanks daisy
  • Like 2
  • Useful 4
  • Love 3

I know not to expect reality here but....

So Hen fails her second year neurology written exam and is allowed a redo. But... not a second written exam on neurology but some sort of "practical" where she follows a doctor thru rounds and diagnoses non neuro problems. Is Hen going to the DeVry School of Medicine?

So Hoover had no anxiety in Bobby and Athena's house even though they are working professionals rarely home. But the dog did tear up three homes in three days... maybe the sorority girls were doping the dog for a reason....

• Applause 3
  • LOL 4
  • Love 4

I'm glad Hoover found a forever home but it's too bad it didn't work out with Christopher. Two words, people: crate training.

I, too, was disappointed they made the new kid at the call center the culprit in the burglaries. I liked him and thought he had potential to be an interesting new character.

Is Aisha leaving the show? Cause this felt like Aisha is leaving. 

I think the preview for next week is telescoping where this is going to go. On the one hand I don't really want Hen written off the show, but on the other hand if she decides she doesn't want to be a doctor after all, we'll have wasted an awful lot of air time on that storyline.

• Like 1
  • Love 8

I had to rewind a few times to make sure I heard it right, but Athena yelling "Eureka!" at the home invaders was possibly the dumbest line I have ever heard on this show.

Update: Thanks for the clarification!  "You either" makes more sense, but still a really bad line!!

Edited by alalaxmom
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2
11 hours ago, MarquisDeCarabas said:

I think it’s a fake out, I feel like the final scene is a set up for her to realise she’d rather stay a paramedic

I hope so. Plus, unless I'm totally wrong about medical training, it doesn't seem like she's been doing it long enough to be called, even jokingly, "doctor."

3 hours ago, TVForever said:

Seriously? The young Black kid did it ?😢

I was surprised too. For many reasons, not the least of which was that he was one of the best new characters they've had in a long while.

33 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

I, too, was disappointed they made the new kid at the call center the culprit in the burglaries. I liked him and thought he had potential to be an interesting new character.

Me too. He was personable, and seemed to fit in well. Better than some new characters have done over the years.

My only excuse for Hoover is that he'd bonded with Bobby, so he wasn't a terror for him (though that didn't hold true when we got our little terrier rescue dog who bonded with my husband, but was indeed a little terror - sweet but got into things at first). But I'm glad they found him a home - one that won't recur on the show (presumably). Cute, but we have enough characters and don't need a dog, no matter how cute.

• Like 3
  • Love 3

I keep flashing back to the scene of Buck blocking the doggie door to keep out racoons at the palatial home that is now Hoover's.

I don't recall how soon I knew it was a racoon, but it was pretty early.

11 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:
49 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

Me too. He was personable, and seemed to fit in well. Better than some new characters have done over the years.

It was just so cringey that it was a young black man, and a clean-cut type too, as if to say: see? ya can't trust any of 'em. 
This had to be deliberate casting. But w-w-w-h-h-h-y-y-y?
Did they think it would be a good fake out or something????

Why couldn't it have been a 30-year-old white lady whose brother borrowed money from the wrong people?

At least the killers weren't obviously POC, but still. Sheesh.

• Like 1
  • Applause 2
  • Love 6

Man, I am bummed new guy was the culprit.  He was nice.  I liked him.  Sigh.

Everyone's spouse/significant other had been in jeopardy at some point.  It this a first for Karen?  I can't think of any other time she's had to be a rescue.

I do have to wonder where all the Hen and med school stuff is going.  Either they are committing to it and Aisha is leaving or this is where Hen realizes she needs to stay with the 118.

Fun fact, I went to college with the actress who was the first 911 call. 

• Like 5
  • Mind Blown 4
  • Love 3

I had to rewind a few times to make sure I heard it right, but Athena yelling "Eureka!" at the home invaders was possibly the dumbest line I have ever heard on this show.

Speaking of dumb . . . the sting operation at the very end was really ill-advised. When Athena whipped around and pointed her gun at the two burglars she was facing down twice the fire power and startling them into what could have been a shoot-out. You don't surprise someone like that who's pointing a gun at you, their instinct is going to be to shoot. 

Obviously, Athena should probably have been killed many times over by now, but . . . yeah.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Love 6
3 hours ago, alalaxmom said:

Around what minute mark in the show? I'd like to check the transcripts online or the closed captioning.

How the hell did they "clear the house" and not find the raccoon?? It took the victim telling Buck to look in the kitchen????? Seriously???? I'm handwaving tsunamis and trainwrecks and all kinds of crazy stuff, but at least make the boring stuff make sense, please!

Likewise, why did they cut the ceiling instead of hacking through the FOAM to get into the attic?? There was no reason to destroy the house!! 

If you don't know how to crate train, call a dog expert for advice. Why do people get pets without doing any research? You could at least ask a vet. You'd think if you rescued a dog you'd get it checked out by a vet anyway. Bobby had no idea if he'd had a rabies shot or any other care, given that he just took Hoover from the frat house where he was clearly not being cared for.

Man, I'm cranky. Hen flunks a written test and gets it waived in favor of doing rounds? WTF?

And yeah, the Black kid was at fault. For Godsake! They didn't even give a token line about how he was afraid to call the cops for help when the family was threatened because of their track record of not being helpful. 

I thought FOR SURE the nanny was hacking into Maddie's phone or something like that. I was CONVINCED she was somehow the culprit. But no, she was just a germophobe.

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1
  • Love 6

If you don't know how to crate train, call a dog expert for advice. Why do people get pets without doing any research? You could at least ask a vet. You'd think if you rescued a dog you'd get it checked out by a vet anyway. Bobby had no idea if he'd had a rabies shot or any other care, given that he just took Hoover from the frat house where he was clearly not being cared for.

I felt so bad for the poor dog, it must have been so confused being shuttled from house to house to house. I hope that nice rich lady pampers and spoils him to bits.

• Love 15

When they were poking through the ceiling, it didn't seem like they were concerned about impaling the guy. It was nice that they at least came back at the end to fix the house. 

It seems like maybe they are setting up May's (I think that is her name) return to the call center. 

• Like 3
  • Love 4
14 minutes ago, Faceplant said:

When they were poking through the ceiling, it didn't seem like they were concerned about impaling the guy. It was nice that they at least came back at the end to fix the house. 

It seems like maybe they are setting up May's (I think that is her name) return to the call center. 

I was thinking they were going to stab the guy too!  Also, there’s no way they could’ve known with that last jab he was right there. They didn’t show anything (like foam or whatever) coming down to show it was the right spot. How did they know? I did want to say that my husband’s fire department recently did something similar for someone local whose house they went on a medical call for. It was more that they just saw the house needed repairs, not that they did anything to the house during the call, but this reminded me of that. Most firefighters have a 2nd job in a trade, so it’s real easy to pull together a crew to do work. 

I hated the storyline with Hoover. I’ve rescued multiple dogs and what they did was all wrong. It takes time for a dog to settle and feel safe. Shuttling him to house after house was played as a joke, but I didn’t find it funny. 

I’m also very disappointed on who the culprit was for the robberies. I really liked him and thought he was going to be a good addition. 

I’m so over Hen becoming a Dr storyline. 

• Like 4
  • Love 8

I'm really disappointed that the new call center kid was in on the robberies, I liked him a lot and thought he made a good addition to the call center cast. I was hoping he would be a red herring, but nope, it was the most obvious person. It obviously isn't main character Maddie or long established supporting characters Josh or Sue, and it wouldn't be very interesting if it was someone we never met, so process of elimination said it had to be the new kid. I was thinking that maybe it was Magda the new housekeeper hacking Maddie somehow, but I was sadly wrong. 

The subplot with Hoover made me sad, the poor puppy has already been through a lot, moving him rapidly from one place to another must have been so scary for him. No one could try to train him? Hopefully he has a great life with the rich lady. I did like them bringing back the rich couple from the start and later everyone coming back to help the woman who's brother was almost killed working on her house, I always like when they bring back different calls for the end of the episode. 

Hen's whole medical career makes absolutely no sense, starting with the idea that she gets to go from failing out of her first major round of tests to getting to sit front row center at a surgery, and ending with the idea of everyone acting like she's three seconds from becoming a full doctor when in reality she should just be starting. I am not sure if this really is going to end with Hen leaving. On the one hand, if she just stays at her job it makes this whole plot a massive waste of time, and it seems like they are heading towards her leaving. On the other, I don't want Hen to go and that ending, with her thinking of her work family, made it seem like she's having second thoughts.

I guess Karen finally drew the "main character in trouble" short straw. She hasn't been put in peril yet I don't think so I guess that's fair enough, its her turn. So will this make Hen want to stay a first responder or fully committ to being a doctor? One way or another, I'm sure Karen almost dying will make up her mind.

• Love 7

Shallow alert: I really want that ingeniously designed white sweater Athena was wearing at home after the first rescue of the episode, which had contrasting buttons at the centerline going all the way up from the front hem, split over the shoulders, then down to the back hem. Nice.

• Like 2
  • Love 3

That first rescue just pissed me off. Stay in the room and wait for the police. How hard is that? And if you insist on leaving then LEAVE. Don't stand around talking to 911. Leave the house and meet the cops at the end of the driveway. 

Farewell, cute new guy whose name I didn't bother to learn. Feel free to join Jonah from last season on Too Good to Be True Island. I have to confess that that story left me in my feelings. I still remember a retail job decades ago where a new guy came on, all personable and charming. He left in handcuffs because he was helping his friends steal.

• Love 3

Wait what? Paisley died?

Hoover is the best character in 9-1-1. I’d prefer him to stay with Bobby and Athena so I could see him again. Despite her allergies, Hoover’s chemistry with Athena is real. Why can’t they make him a firehouse dog? But hey, am glad he has found his forever home with the Darzis. 😘

I don’t care about Hen and her OTT medical school storyline. It’s f-king ridiculous and annoying. At this point, am OK if she wants to leave this show.

Am sad for Noah. I hope he has a good lawyer.

The DIY rescue? Didn’t make sense whatsoever. SMH. 🤦🏻‍♀️

13 hours ago, alalaxmom said:

No, she didn’t say that.

Burglar: “Don’t move.

Athena: “You, either!

• Like 2
  • Love 2
21 hours ago, alalaxmom said:

7 hours ago, SnazzyDaisy said:

No, she didn’t say that.

Yes. That's what I see on the transcript too. 
Every now and then I hear something that cannot be correct——often weirdly hilarious——and it turns out it isn't what I "heard." 
Another reason to use closed captions, although I know some people hate them.

• Like 2
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, SnazzyDaisy said:

No, she didn’t say that.

Thank you, I could not for the life of me remember Athena saying "Eureka" - but it's very understandable that people would hear that. And given some closed captioning I've seen, not unlikely that it would appear in the captioning. Sometimes it's hilarious.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Like 2
  • Love 2
15 hours ago, marceline said:

So is Lucy gone for good?

15 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

I forget girlfriend names, but my understanding is that Buck is completely unattached right now.

I think Lucy was the new team member who was Buck's one-night-stand but with whom he also had some follow-up bonding scenes?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Clanstarling said:

I forget girlfriend names, but my understanding is that Buck is completely unattached right now.

Buck's ex - Taylor Kelly.

1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

I think Lucy was the new team member who was Buck's one-night-stand but with whom he also had some follow-up bonding scenes?

No one night stand. They kissed while drunk.

• Thanks 2

Aww, Hoover was so cute, and I'm sad they only brought him on just as a side plot to pass him around from character to character. How cute would it have been for Bobby and Athena to have a dog? Or even if this opened the door to another character getting a pet? 

I was sad they went the route with Noah. I actually liked him, liked that Maddie finally had a mentee she could teach, and I had hoped the whole "checking past logs" from a few episodes ago was him being connected to one of them, rather than him casing his job. Again, since we completely missed out on Maddie training May, this was our next best thing and now Noah's gone. One of the very few new recurring characters that worked, at least for me.

I always enjoy when this show circles back to calls, so seeing Buck/Eddie going with a crew to help fix the home they destroyed (even though they apparently thought poking things in the ceiling and risking hitting the poor guy was better than cutting through the actual foam?) and the rich lady, who was really stupid on the phone by the way, adopting Hoover? Kind of nice!

I really hope we're getting to the end of Doctor Hen, because this has been seasons ongoing, and I feel like the show more realized that they have to make a decision after stalling for two seasons. Make a decision! Either Aisha is dropping to recurring/guest star or she's sticking around!

• Like 2
  • Love 4
On 10/19/2022 at 10:45 PM, Lady Calypso said:

Aww, Hoover was so cute, and I'm sad they only brought him on just as a side plot to pass him around from character to character.

Actually, Hoover's life experience as seen in this episode is pretty true to life for many pets that were adopted during the pandemic when a lot of people who are not suited to being pet owners chose to adopt out of their own feelings of isolation and loneliness. Note that we did not see who had Hoover before he arrived at the frat house.

Edited by shapeshifter
grammar
  • Like 1
  • Sad 4
  • Love 1

They really missed an opportunity to say something constructive about how to handle a panicked dog. They could have doen a rescue at the home of a dog trainer or something like that, and that person could make some suggestions or educated them in some way, instead of just passing the dog around like it was a joke until they found someone who was home all the time.

• Applause 2
  • Love 4

I'm glad so many people called out that the young Black kid was the villain. That just sucks. I was really hoping he'd be a new young voice in the show. And "DeVry Medical School"? I have to remember that!

Hen is SO not going to leave, but do they dare kill her wife? That would be awful (and a callback to ER where they killed off Kerry's wife, who was a firefighter.) Don't kill the lesbians for a tearjerker, and don't make the villains Black in a procedural, dammit.

• Fire 1
  • Love 5
On 10/20/2022 at 1:15 AM, shapeshifter said:

Actually, Hoover's life experience as seen in this episode is pretty true to life for many pets that were adopted during the pandemic when a lot of people who are not suited to being pet owners chose to adopt out of their own feelings of isolation and loneliness. Note that we did not see who had Hoover before he arrived at the frat house.

Yeah, I didn't like that storyline for that reason. The dog ODs at a frat house then gets passed around from person to person. People who weren't planning on adopting a dog so they don't have any supplies. The TV trope of people surprising someone with a puppy makes me want to punch things.

• Like 3
  • Applause 2
  • Love 4
4 hours ago, marceline said:

Yeah, I didn't like that storyline for that reason. The dog ODs at a frat house then gets passed around from person to person. People who weren't planning on adopting a dog so they don't have any supplies. The TV trope of people surprising someone with a puppy makes me want to punch things.

I thought Athena would just get some allergy medicine and keep Hoover.

do you think Hen will get a spin-off show as a med student?

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Diana Berry said:

I thought Athena would just get some allergy medicine and keep Hoover.

Ooof. That does seem like an easy fix this show would go for, in spite of it being a sort of medical show. 
My boss actually did go through the allergy testing and was on a medication that successfully relieved her symptoms and that she was able to tolerate, but apparently you can only take it for a limited time, and then need to go off of it for a rather long length of time before starting it again.

Pets don't bother me, but fragrances and perfumes that seem to saturate modern society have plagued me my entire life, and have only gotten worse, so when Athena was sneezing, I was very glad they did not keep Hoover.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

I know a lot of people with alleries to cats and dogs, which they can't treat effectively with any meds. I also have fragrance reactions that are not treatable by any known methods. So I get not keeping the dog if she's allergic. But the way the show apssed the dog around like it was a joke, and nobody in the entire chain thought to seek advice from people who know about dogs? That to me was horrible.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, possibilities said:

I know a lot of people with alleries to cats and dogs, which they can't treat effectively with any meds. I also have fragrance reactions that are not treatable by any known methods. So I get not keeping the dog if she's allergic. But the way the show apssed the dog around like it was a joke, and nobody in the entire chain thought to seek advice from people who know about dogs? That to me was horrible.

Yes, but this show does a lot of depictions of horrible things done——both accidentally and on purpose, or, at least, thoughtlessly——and at least in the end Hoover has a good home. 
But I think your issue is probably like mine:
that because they made a joke of Hoover's behaviors and his being foisted upon not very willing caretakers, viewers who have similarly unloaded their pandemic pets will think this means it's okay🙁🐶🥺
even though:
——more often they would not survive an overdose like Hoover's,
——and more often there would not be a nice forever home for the dog.

But, to be fair to the writers, they at least touched on this problem, and, realistically, showing a dead dog on network TV is taboo.
Craig Mazon's amazing Chernobyl documentary on HBO may have showed dead dogs, but, IIRC, the camera turned away at the last minute. 

And Hoover's rejections for bad behavior (and allergies of a partner) in this episode were kind of a PSA aimed at people who still think they should become dog owners just because it's now the hip thing to do. 

So, I guess the humor was supposed to be the spoonful of sugar to make the medicine of if-you-are-doing-this-to-your-pandemic-pet-you-should-not-ever-be-a-pet-owner more palatable.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 1

I really wish Buck had been the Hoover adopter. He would be amazing. I firmly believe he would understand and love Hoover the best. 

My “funny” adoption story- when I got my dog Lola, the first night I had her, she chewed through her leash, her collar, and the bathroom door jamb, as well as pooing all over three rooms. I cried and thought I was the worst pet parent and did I need to take her back. But the second day was better, then the third…we will celebrate 10 years since adoption next month! (I am allergic to dogs, I have to take allergy pills daily and wash my hands after petting them, but it’s worth it.)

• Love 3