Type keyword(s) to search

YouTube: TV for Your Computer!

Michele
  • Start Topic

I like Crash Course, but only watch the history ones, and sometimes Mental Floss. Whenever we hang out with my boyfriend's best friend we wind up watching Epic Rap Battles of History, which I enjoy but don't usually go out of my way to watch on my own. 

I also follow a couple of makeup tutorial channels. 

We just got a chromecast, so it's going to be easier to watch youtube on the tv. I see myself watching more youtube stuff soon, as I don't really like watching long videos on my laptop or phone either. 

• Love 1

This whole world of "Youtube channels" is still a mystery to me.  Any tips to doing Youtube channels right?  Should I... subscribe to things?  Is "subscribing" a thing?  

Yeah, you subscribe to channels. Whenever a new video is posted from the channel you subscribe to, it pops up in your homepage...well, at least that's how it's supposed to work. Youtube, unfortunately, tends to have issues with that for some reason. 

• Love 1

Strange as it may sound, I like to watch people play video games on YouTube.  My favorite gamer is Cryaotic, who gets emotionally involved in the games he plays.  He also has an extremely soothing voice, which a lot of his followers think is sexy.  He never has revealed his face, not on his channel nor in real life, which leads to an obsession for some people.

I also like to watch foreign language soaps, which people who post on YouTube have captioned in English, although it turns out most of the foreign language soaps are those which deal with gay storylines, but I watch them because they're so different from American soaps.

I also like to watch foreign language soaps, which people who post on YouTube have captioned in English, although it turns out most of the foreign language soaps are those which deal with gay storylines, but I watch them because they're so different from American soaps.

Which soaps do you watch on YouTube? I'm always interested in foreign TV and I feel like it's just not discussed enough.

Which soaps do you watch on YouTube? I'm always interested in foreign TV and I feel like it's just not discussed enough.

There's a Finnish soap called "Salatut Elämät, and several British soaps like Eastenders, Emmerdale and Hollyoaks.  There are German soaps called Verbotene Liebe, Gute Zeiten Schlechte Zeiten, and Alles Was Zahlt.  There is also a Dutch soap opera called Goede tijden schlechte tijden.  Ironically, Goede and Gute originated using the exact same scripts, just in German and Dutch, then they diverged as the shows produced their own scripts.  There's also a Norwegian soap called Hotel Caesar.

Strange as it may sound, I like to watch people play video games on YouTube.

Same here. I've spent the past week or so binge-watching Let's Plays of the Fatal Frame games. And not sleeping very well.

CinemaSins--their tagline is, "No movie is without sin." To demonstrate this further, the guy behind this has pointed out sins for movies he dislikes--such as Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull and the trainwreck that is The Room--as well as what he notes is his favorite movie ever, The Matrix, along with a childhood favorite (as it should be), LabyrinthI consider Labyrinth a good place to start, if anything, because of the numerous reference to David Bowie's crotch. (I am, if anything, a totally mature, fully grown woman. At least the latter part is correct.)

• Love 2

I really enjoy CinemaSins! I also like Screen Junkies Honest Trailers. Maybe I should just admit I like to make fun of things.

I often tend to watch lectures on YouTube. Depending on what I'm interested in at the moment they vary widely & I can go on binges. I spent a lot of time learning about psychopaths & how the brain works after a personal experience & I love listening to alternative health lectures, especially if there is a Q&A segment.

• Love 3

When I'm online, I usually have it on for the many songs and soundtracks I like listening to. However; when I DO watch [instead of just listen to it],   I'm partial to historic and nostalgic stuff that's been posted. As far 'contemporary' stuff, I have to admit to liking 'Depression Cooking with Clara' [a 90-something Italian-American grandma who reminded me of my late  Nana in both diminuative size AND 'tude of embracing both the parental Old World Heritage yet having had to grow up in a big American city ] . Clara was chockful of good recipes and poignant stories and laughs and I was sad to hear of her passing last year even though she'd 'retired' a few years before.

Oddly enough I've also started following Casey Neistat who reminds me of a friend I've long since lost touch with. While I can't say I always agree with his choices or 'tudes, it interesting to watch in that he [like Clara] invites the viewers to follow the steps of how/why he does stuff [in his case often  travelling and racing]AND he beat amazing odds in that he was a high school dropout who ran away and got his girlfriend pregnant BUT he stepped up to the plate and has been a very hands-on dad to his now teenaged son [ long after he split with the girlfriend] and it's interesting to watch them together since Casey's so manic    a force of nature while his son is so laid-back and more levelheaded.  They balance out each other well and I think it's a safe bet that they will stay  real friends after the boy has grown up. One very good vid is of them travelling to Machu Picchu a few years back with Casey not having planned out as much as he could have in retrospect and the two of them having to work out how to get from Points A to B despite stuff going against them. Oh, and now Casey's wed his longtime on/off girlfriend [not his son's mother] but I can't say I'm 100 percent sure that will last forever via the vids but they're interesting to watch together. Also, he made a good tribute video to his grandmother Louise -a onetime Rockette who taught tap dancing 6 days a week until very shortly before her own death at 92 [and it seemed he was closer to her than any other adult member of his family -she even helped him try to sell his car on one video].

Yeah, let others have dancing kitties and dumb stunts, this is what I like on YouTube.

I debated whether this belonged here or in the music subforum, but the crazy hype is really way more about the video and its story than the (very catchy) song. A whole fandom has cropped up practically overnight for this four-minute animated video, and I'm one of the ones who's fallen in love with it. Ghost, by Mystery Skulls: Come for the Scooby Doo pastiche, stay for the unexpected backstory.

Honest Trailers are awesome. My favorite they've done so far is "Les Miserables"

The fact that they sing the trailer is awesome! I've also been enjoying How It Should Have Ended. They have some funny ones. I think I've watched how the Avengers Age of Ultron trailer should have ended five times because I'm easily amused & it makes me laugh.

• Love 1

Has Youtube done something in the last day or so? Because I can no longer watch videos on the site. It might have something to do with flashblock, but videos that are embedded in other sites work perfectly. I'm trying to determine if it's on my end or theirs.

Has Youtube done something in the last day or so? Because I can no longer watch videos on the site. It might have something to do with flashblock, but videos that are embedded in other sites work perfectly. I'm trying to determine if it's on my end or theirs.

Not that I can tell.. I haven't experienced any issues anyway. What browser are you using? All ok for me on Chrome.

As an adult of almost a certain age, I am probably out of the usual demographic for these vloggers, but I find the youtubers danisnotonfire (Dan Howell) and AmazingPhil (Phil Lester) utterly charming and goofy. For example, on their games channel, they present a series of videos in which they are playing Sims. I've never played the game, but it is hilarious to watch. At the very least, you'll have something to talk about with any tweens in your life...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuhwvTYFvVZjyBVXc9T7CrA

I don't know if this is the best place to put this, but here it is! Get a tissue handy if you're prone to sniffles.

Alice Barker was a chorus dancer during the Harlem Renaissance of the ’30s and ’40s, and although she acted in numerous commercials and performed alongside talent like Frank Sinatra, Gene Kelly and Bill “Bojangles” Robinson, the now-102-year-old had never seen recordings of her dancing before some researchers from Jazz On Film stopped by her nursing home–and holy cow, could she ever move. (source)

• Love 3

Anyone watch GMM with Rhett and Link? 

I didn't used to be too keen on them and sometimes how easily distracted they are annoys me so much but I do watch the show (and some times Good Mythical More) most days.

• Love 1

My son is obsessed with the Daily Bumps "vlogs", and I'm looking for commiseration. I swear, just hearing their theme song raises my blood pressure. It took me weeks before I realized that the man's voice I kept hearing was not their fabulous gay uncle, but their father. Then, I got a bit fascinated and starting googling the family. Anyway, their vapid, pointless videos drive me bananas; they eat, they show you how they have arranged their pantry, they eat, they shop at target, they eat, they put their kids down for naps...zzz

Edited by RainbowBrite

Can I say that I'm sorry that Shay Carl Butler and his family appear to be going through a great deal of turmoil at this time ? Also, especially for the sakes of his wife and their five children, I hope they find their peace before too long -regardless of whether any of them ever appear on YouTube again. Why is so many folks seem to think they can play   on You Tube without winding up scorched one way or another?

Does anyone know how YT reccomendations work? It keeps reccomending children's education or toy channels, despite never having looked that up on the site. Toys elsewhere, yeah. But not there. So is it tracking what I look up on other sites?

Anyone getting channels and playlists that just won't go away? I click the X on the front page, but they just pop up when I return. Stuff like live gaming, trending, live recommendations. I have zero interest in these subjects.

On 10/14/2018 at 10:41 PM, Joe said:

Anyone getting channels and playlists that just won't go away? I click the X on the front page, but they just pop up when I return. Stuff like live gaming, trending, live recommendations. I have zero interest in these subjects.

I've recently got a lot of ice hockey channel recommendations, and I live in Texas....

YouTube's code is borked throughout the site.  Markiplier has a good opinion video explaining why he thinks this is happening.  Short answer: Google+.

Back to the old look. I wonder if they got a lot of complaints. But while it was all jumbled up, I was able to block a lot of channels. For some reason it kept wanting to show me sport, reaction videos, foreign language stuff, and other nonsense.

Wow, they re-reverted to the completley stupid layout again. On the off-chance that anyone from YT reads this, the new layout reduces functionality and makes me want to spend less time on the site.

There's just too much on the front page and none of it is sorted. The video thumbnails are too large. If I alter my brower's font size to get the videos down to a sensibe size, that makes the actual text hard to read. Also, I blocked the last 20 ASMR channels that appeared on the front page. Why do you think I want to see the 21st? Sames goes for sports, game shows, and the like.

• Love 1

I'm trying to decide if I want to try this again. Dad wants to get rid of cable, but youtube put their fees up, right around the time we tested it. I did like the unlimited DVR, and showtime for only $7 extra. I need to get a newer roku, also, since I couldn't find the youtube TV app on mine, only the regular one. I had to download iy on my phone, but transmitting it to my TV was still a problem. 

I might try the disney/hulu bundle for a year, and keep netflix and amazon. That would be much cheaper. I don't know - I hold onto cable like some kind of security blanket, which is ridiculous. 

If I'm not watching stuff that's news/politics related, I really enjoy femininity content. I don't always have the same ideology as the femininity youtubers, but as a girly girl I find their videos fun and comforting. Cynthia L has a great channel in particular. She's a former Miss Earth Canada. 

There's a live cam of the volcano currently erupting in Iceland. It's surprisingly calming and the continuous rumble is kind of like a ASMR or sleep sound.

ETA The first link I posted is down. Here's another, but there is no sound. ☹️

Edited by xaxat
  • Love 3

What the heck is YT playing at? They've gone and jumbled up channel addresses again. They used to be a seemingly random string of letters. Then brought in customised ones. Like, the address bar would say the channel name. Now it's back to random letters.

I've bookmarked a lot of channels. Now the little star is hollow instead of blue. It upsets my sense of order. I have this feeling that if I go and update all my bookmarks, they'll just revert this change again.

Can I say that if  certain nameless YouTuber vloggers truly don't want to be called 'sell outs' then they shouldn't praise to the hilt EVERY single new kind of camera, 'puter, app or devise as being THE greatest innovation (that they claim they're not being paid to sponsor) and as vital as air to pay $$$$$$ for others  to get? I can think of a few of them (whom I otherwise like) that I wish would just ONCE say 'this gadget is overhyped and not worth a wooden nickel so I'm telling you viewers like it is so you don't waste your hardearned cash'! It would help give their cred and rep a boost if they were to do that! IOW, I'd like to tell them 'If you don't want to be called a sell out, then DON'T sell out or, if you DO sell out, cry your own river to the bank over being tagged that !' 

Edited by Blergh
  • Love 1

Alternative Cuts has done some amazing video editing that look seamless when they splice together clips from two different complete shows. Their Breaking Bad videos get the spotlight a number of times, but I really love this one just because of my love-hate relationship with the MCU:

Finally, the perfect crossover.