Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E08: Finale

raven
  • Start Topic

In the season finale of Making the Cut, the final designers must present a business pitch to the President of Amazon Fashion and showcase a final ten look collection. One designer is crowned the winner of Making the Cut, receiving a mentorship, an exclusive line on Amazon, and $1,000,000 to invest into their brand.

Congrats to Yannik!  Showing, as usual, that I know nothing of fashion, lol.  I can see the artistic merit in Yannik's collection - he is very creative.   Still, just sticking the deconstructed shirt on the model (the one that showed her ass).  Not really fashion, even conceptual, to me.   I like some of Yannik's collection on Amazon and he is very smart about the business and knows what he wants.  Bonus - he's a really good model, too. 

I thought Rafael would win, especially when Heidi was sooo excited about his green flowy dress.  That was 100% a Heidi dress.     I loved Rafael's reversible coat and the model did a great job with the reveal.  Actually, I liked all of Rafael's outerwear, even the puffy coat, thought it's not something I could ever wear.   Still, I'm not annoyed like I was last season (when Gary should have won, arggh).   

So, all Rafael really lost was the title of winner and the million dollars?  I'm glad Amazon is giving him a chance. 

Though I hate, HATE the way the judges toss away the 3rd designer (just watch Georgia's face slowly crumple as they give their critiques), I agree she was the right choice to go.   She made a huge effort to get out of her comfort zone but wasn't always successful.  It was a mistake, IMO, to put the blue dress that the judges loved in the store on the bigger model.  It just ended up looking folded and crumpled. 

Tim giving a shivering Yannik his jacket was an awww moment.    It was also thoughtful of the show to put the memorial to Rafael's mom at the end.

Not a bad season.  I think the show manufactures the Jeremy Scott drahma because the contestants are relatively drama free.

• Love 3

I was rooting for Georgia but I didn't expect her to win barring a miracle.  It's been telegraphed that Yannick was going to win because he was Heidi's favorite all along.  I mean I liked his stuff but I definitely liked Rafael's more and I'm glad the Amazon lady is going to mentor him and put up his collection on Amazon.

• Love 3

Georgia is too accessible for this show. After Rafael’s treatment of his model who didn’t want to be spray painted, I lost any interest in his work. He also had a grammatical error on his print (its instead of it’s). 

I enjoy Yannick’s perspective as an art form rather than attire, so I’m happy for him. 

• Like 1

Total Bullshit.  But I'm surprised they didn't give Rafael the pity win.  But he still gets a crapload of prizes.  

Yannick's looks were so ridiculous to me.  An "Intellectual" designer?  He's got the intellect of a broken crayon.  I refuse to believe that Heidi or Nicole would wear a single piece in public.  Now Jeremy, might. 

Half of Rafael's collection looked like it came from Jeannette, even Jeremy said.  And I hated that print, his feathers and that acid green.  And sorry, but his "difficulty" with English was really flexible and he sure seemed to get a LOT of nuances when it was convenient for him.  

Georgia's were so much more sellable and made sense.  They didn't look stupid to me or like they were conceived when the designer was on crack.  The blonde hair supported by inflated lips was clearly not impressed.   Georgia wuz robbed.  

This season sucked.  

Edited by SnapHappy
  • Fire 2
  • Applause 1
  • Love 5

I have wanted Rafael out of the competition ever since his first designs that they loved, those pointless outercoats that looked like brightly coloured hessian frilled neck lizards... so I was quite surprised to enjoy his final runway. I really liked his use of colour and the shades of green he put together. 

It was surprising to see Yannick win, after such a high concept and impractical runway, but he is such a sweet fellow.

Georgia tried too hard to second-guess what would please them, instead of doing her usual style of work, so that backfired after the first two outfits on her runway.

I think the four weeks helped some (Rafael) and hindered others. Jeannette's collection, what little we saw of it, looked dire; she seemed to work best under the pressure of time restraints and floundered on her own, to my mind, conceptually. As soon as I saw those hideous handkerchief hems in her pop-up store, I knew she was toast. But I was still disappointed to not have her in the final runway show.

Interesting to have Heidi back a winner who wasn't miniskirts and sparkles.

Edited by violet and green
typos
  • Like 1
  • Love 2

It is going to be very un-politically correct for me to say this but the plus-sized models did not do the designers any favors. All the outfits that wowed the judges were worn by the size 0 models. Georgia’s showpiece blue dress looked awful on the plus-sized model and the judges rightfully lambasted it. I do think that someone with a slim figure would have done wonders for that dress.  

Why do they bother having outfit for men in this show? Do they really think that a lot of men are going to become customers and be profitable for them? Total pipe dream. 

• Applause 2
  • Love 5

So they could just rename this show “most creative designer” but seriously who is going to wear Yannicks clothing???

Happy they’ve at least offered to mentor Raphael. I’m off to Amazon to see what they’re offering

Edited by Lady of nod
Added
  • Like 1
  • Love 4

That was nothing but a whole bunch of ugly IMO, all 3 should have lost.

6 hours ago, Wicked said:

It is so weird to me that there is no audience for the finale show

I agree, especially when Heidi & Tim do that whole "Welcome to the Finale" thing at the beginning, & there's only the 3 judges sitting there, it seems kind of stupid, but it seems kind of stupid for all the episodes.

• Like 2
  • Love 8
16 hours ago, Wicked said:

It is so weird to me that there is no audience for the finale show

And yet they still had the microphones,  did they think we wouldn't notice?

Honestly, who is going to wear upside down pants, a strapped on shirt, or a jacket up to their ears? Maybe there's a reason he couldn't get funding after trying 8 times?  Like the old saying goes, 'if 2 people tell you you are drunk, go lie down'.

• Like 2
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 5
  • Love 7

Add me to the list of those surprised Yannik won, because I thought he was too conceptual for Amazon.  But, I think overall he deserved.  I didn’t always love his work but it had a unique and consistent perspective.  

I got a little teary at the memorial for Rafael’s mom.

Georgia had some show stoppers but a lot of her finale collection just felt like filler.  

• Love 3

Okay, no way is Amazon going to sell any of Yannik's clothes in an eco-friendly, sustainable way. (I mean, Amazon is the opposite of that!!!) And that was a big part of Yannik's ethos, so I don't even know how he can justify partnering up with them! The first thing they will do is start making his clothes in China! And they will also have to be totally watered down.

It almost feels like they are making up for last year when everyone thought the artistic contestant (Gary) should have won, but they gave it to the boring sparkly collection that Heidi favored. The Amazon lady knows damn well they are not going to be able to sell those clothes. Meanwhile every single piece Rafael sent down, everyone said they would wear and Amazon is going to partner with him anyway. He will totally pull a Carrie Underwood and do a lot a better than the winner. 

I do think Rafael had the strongest collection, but I liked all of the contestants. I will not pretend to understand Yannick, cuz I am an old crone, and he says stuff like: "I want to show that classic men's cuts can be worn in a different, modern way" and then he sends a pant leg down the runway as a shift dress.  

• Like 2
  • Love 8
2 hours ago, TVbitch said:

He will totally pull a Carrie Underwood and do a lot a better than the winner. 

You're probably thinking of someone else because Carrie Underwood won her season of American Idol. 

------------

I am ok with Yannick winning, as I thought he had the most artistic collection. As for wear-ability, I think fashion shows (from the big designers, anyway) are not supposed to be about items that one would actually wear. They are supposed to be art pieces that inspire a more wearable collection to later be sold in stores.

As for the show, overall, I don't know, I don't think it's terrible but I am not on the edge of my seat watching. 

• Like 2
  • Love 3

I'm just stunned at the outcome.  I watched "Inside Making the Cut" and Heidi's interview was overflowing with praise for Yannik and the word she used over and over was "newness."  I agree that Yannik is creative and innovative, but I would have thought that having a partnership with Amazon would require a wearability factor.  Sure enough, when I went to the Amazon store, his fashions were completely different from his runway show.  Even the concept store looks were radically different.  But, it is the place to go if you are looking for oversized, minimal sweats...

• Like 1
  • Love 2

Just looked on the maison blanche link in amazon, seem way over priced.  almost 500 for a trench coat? 200 for an upside down pant dress that is basically a jumper?  And hand wash only? ugh, no thanks

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
9 hours ago, Pattycake2 said:

I also think that his win may be a reaction to last year when the more generic designer won.  People were upset.

Yeah, I didn't like last year's winner, but I do think the judges should let each season stand on it's own.  If I look on the Amazon store, I'm more drawn to other designers than Yannick.

• Love 1
On 9/10/2022 at 9:38 PM, WearyTraveler said:

They are supposed to be art pieces that inspire a more wearable collection to later be sold in stores.

As for the show, overall, I don't know, I don't think it's terrible but I am not on the edge of my seat watching. 

Oh, I will definitely keep watching the show, because I do like a lot of the creativity and innovation, combined with artistic interpretations of classic stuff. 

But don't piss on my leg & tell me it's raining.  When a supposed "Accessible" look going down the runway resembles an LSD inspired blow-up pool float (Raphael!), I refuse to believe it will appeal to the target market and fly off the shelves of anybody's clothing store.

And I do agree it's a partial "make up" win for last season's Gary, who was absolutely the fan favorite.  

On 9/10/2022 at 12:04 PM, jabRI said:

Honestly, who is going to wear upside down pants, a strapped on shirt, or a jacket up to their ears? Maybe there's a reason he couldn't get funding after trying 8 times?  Like the old saying goes, 'if 2 people tell you you are drunk, go lie down'.

I absolutely LOVE this analogy.  Totally spot on.  Not getting funding was the key point.  Sadly, I think he'll blow through the million with little to show for it.

Edited by SnapHappy
  • Love 3
11 minutes ago, Mahfouz said:

The Amazon lady was an interesting shade of orange. Also, wasn't much movement going on in her facial "expressions"

I "loved" how she glossed her obviously plumped lips so that we could *really* appreciate their plumpness. 

• Love 2

How funny that Amazon is hedging its bets, essentially choosing two winners. I'm glad for both of them.

I think Yannick appeals to Amazon because he's creative yet sensible, focused, and has a head for business. Georgia is already successful, and her aesthetic is limited to how it can be repurposed into mass sales. (She was probably contestant fodder.) Rafael seems like many other designers we've already seen - makes beautiful clothes very well, but nothing notable and he skews towards evening wear. We all know they will dumb down Yannick's more whacky looks. I can see young people liking his aesthetic, but can they afford it?

As for the series, I didn't enjoy it until they got away from the frantic, useless design competitions. I breathed a sigh of relief when they released the designers to their own apartments (a level playing field), a month to produce a show, some peace and quiet, hopefully a food stipend, and finally the results. No Tim dashing about to visit the designers, no family interviews. I don't need all that. I suppose all of the designers had already strategized their collections - buying fabrics and notions, sketching, etc. - before they arrived in LA.

I appreciated the harmony between most of the designers, and a minimum of sob stories. I laughed when Tim and Heidi held big ol' microphones in order to talk to four people sitting eight feet away, for 90 seconds.

We have a new Tim record for wearing jeans - was it twice this season?

Edited by pasdetrois
  • Love 2

Jeremy telling Georgia that "it's a really fine line we walk as designers."

You, sir, have not found that line IMHO.

And I was not a fan of Rafael's print. The noses of two airplanes (I think they were?) looked a bit like naked boobs to me.

I also thought that Nicole's green metallic eye shadow was too too much. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, pasdetrois said:

I suppose all of the designers had already strategized their collections - buying fabrics and notions, sketching, etc. - before they arrived in LA.

I appreciated the harmony between most of the designers, and a minimum of sob stories. I laughed when Tim and Heidi held big ol' microphones in order to talk to four people sitting eight feet away, for 90 seconds.

We have a new Tim record for wearing jeans - was it twice this season?

I'm not so sure.  At least we know Rafael was inspired by LA to make his own print from photos he took while there.  The prints he made were eye catching, to say the least.  I think he could have used a bit less of the print in some of the looks and added a neutral, as well. But it was HIS vision.  At his Amazon store, the star fabric is missing- the jacket is there in a couple of bright solid colors.

• Useful 1
2 minutes ago, SemiCharmedLife said:

At his Amazon store, the star fabric is missing- the jacket is there in a couple of bright solid colors

well that's kind-of weird. I didn't particularly like it, but it seemed so central to his "vision."

I REALLY hated Heidi and Nicole on their never-ending "I would wear that" riff. Isn't the idea of this whole damn show to say "I think loads of people would order that" ??????? Do you really think that's the same thing you size-2 women?

• Like 5

Looking at Yannick's collection explains why he could not get funding.  I know runway offerings aren't the actual clothing Richie Bitch will be wearing but even his accessible bits were fully.  I watched the documentary about the amount of waste the fashion industry produces but if you make it timeless then I think more people would wear pieces for years, his fashion is also wear once & dump.   I can't imagine wanting to wear a leg jumper once never mind for years. It's interesting watching a show about vintage clothes & seeing and seeing styles that still are beautiful and absolutely something I would be happily wear.  

• Love 2
1 hour ago, pH-factor said:

if you make it timeless then I think more people would wear pieces for years

I've had some Eileen Fisher sweaters for over 20 years.  Amazing quality and timeless looks.  Yes, a bit pricier than some, but I always wait for sales and I know they are goign to be worth it.

• Love 1

It felt like Georgia tried to please the judges in that they liked the print she made for an earlier challenge so she used it (or a similar one) in the finale, but it didn't have novelty or pizzaaz  to it.  Actually, while I enjoyed the finale, it just didn't seem like anyone introduced anything 'new.'  Pants as dresses, conceptual art has been done before (and I think even in Project Runway).  The judging felt flat (especially as previous posters noted that all Nicole and Heidi seemed to say was "I would wear that...").  And even the Amazon representative didn't really seem that invested.  Oh well.  Will I watch the next season?  Oh, yes. 

On 9/12/2022 at 4:14 PM, dleighg said:

REALLY hated Heidi and Nicole on their never-ending "I would wear that" riff. Isn't the idea of this whole damn show to say "I think loads of people would order that" ??????? Do you really think that's the same thing you size-2 women?

I get your point, but there’s no way Heidi is a size 2. I’d say at least a 6, maybe 8. 

Yannick is such a beautiful guy. I’m talking outside beauty, not inner beauty. Lol I think his clothes are interesting, but I don’t know many people who would actually wear them. Anyways, I’m glad that he won and that he was on my tv screen. Ok shallow comment completed. 

Also it was cute when Heidi busted out her German to his family to announce his victory. 

• Love 3

Yannik seems like a good person, but I’m sorry that collection was one of the most ridiculous things I’ve ever seen. I actually burst out laughing. The coat up by the ears was the last straw. Lol 

I’m surprised I seem to be in the minority, but I really like Rafael’s. I liked the colors and a lot of the silhouettes were very flattering. 

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 4

Late to the party here, I didn’t know there was a season 3. 
As usual, I apparently know nothing about fashion but this was fun to watch, I liked all the designers this time. Still hated the way they do the judging. I hate Jeremy Scott after his freak out on that one episode, it’s not like the designers screwed up the cure for cancer. 
Congrats to Yannik, I didn’t get the collection at all. It was too weird for me. I doubt anyone would wear a backless shirt anywhere unless they wanted to get arrested for indecent exposure? I was rooting for Georgia but her runway show was lackluster. I liked a lot of Rafael’s and I’m happy for him too that he gets to work with Amazon.