Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E01: Spies

Neptune
  • Start Topic

“Spies” – Sam enlists the Ghosts to help secure a good review from an overly critical couple staying at the B&B. Also, Isaac tries to integrate Nigel into his friend group, on the second season premiere of the CBS Original series GHOSTS, Thursday, Sept. 29 (8:30-9:01 PM, ET/PT)

• Applause 2
  • Love 5

Awww, I was so happy for Jay and Pete when they thought Jay could see him. And Pete using his travel agent experience to help Sam and Jay when they’d so often told him his life’s work was passé. Issac and Nigel are cute as ever!

I really hope Jay can find some sort of awareness of the ghosts, or perhaps Jay and the ones who can communicate with the living can work out their own shorthand?

Glad it’s back, though I hate that it’s between “Young Sheldon” which I can’t tolerate any more and the show being produced by the same people from “Bull” who tolerated Michael Weatherly’s behavior against female costars on set. I’ll probably be streaming it online over the weekends going forward.

• Love 10

Poor Jay, he wants to see the ghosts so bad. He was so excited when he thought he saw Pete.

I love how much the ghosts love watching t.v. Nigel dancing in his seat to the Spice Girls was hilarious. Thor and Nigel bonded over their love of watching ants, aww. There's going to be a lot of ant watching in Isaac's future lol.

Sam and Jay really needed a good review, so I can see why Sam agreed to let the ghosts spy on the guests. That couple was awful with their constant criticism and also not the brightest, considering they thought their Yelp reviews were anonymous. Jay calling them out and sticking up for Sam was so sweet, I adore them. 

I'm so glad this show is back. I've watched season one three times already.

• Like 2
  • Love 15

A lovely episode to start Season 2 with!  Every ghost had at least one good line.  I loved Flower's "Who's Jay?"  And Hetty throwing shade!  Damn, girl!

The one thing that I found really weird, though, is the ending to Season 1.  What purpose did having them fall through the floor serve?  I wonder if they had initially toyed with the idea of killing Jay off for a second, so he could see ghosts, too, and left it open for something like that until they had some view reaction/input to Season 1. 

Jay having such a strong opinion about the ghosts not spying on guests was a little weird and out of place, in my opinion.  But I loved Jay's defense of Sam.  So cute!

39 minutes ago, Kiddvideo said:

Glad it’s back, though I hate that it’s between “Young Sheldon” which I can’t tolerate any more and the show being produced by the same people from “Bull” who tolerated Michael Weatherly’s behavior against female costars on set. I’ll probably be streaming it online over the weekends going forward.

I had no idea what the show was about, I just didn't get up or change the channel in time, so I ended up watching it.  So Help Me Todd.  I actually liked it.  I really like Skylar Astin (though I really wanted him to break out in song), and Marcia Gay Harden, and they work really well together.  I can't stand Bull, I think I watched all of 20 minutes of it when it first came on.  ugh. 

• Like 5
  • Love 8
6 minutes ago, chaifan said:

The one thing that I found really weird, though, is the ending to Season 1.  What purpose did having them fall through the floor serve?

Maybe just to leave us in suspense as to whether Jay would see the ghosts? Or maybe they hadn't decided yet. Presumably some time has passed for the floor to be fixed, and I would assume further inspections would be necessary before guests would be allowed after something like that.

5 minutes ago, chaifan said:

I had no idea what the show was about, I just didn't get up or change the channel in time, so I ended up watching it.  So Help Me Todd.  I actually liked it.  I really like Skylar Astin (though I really wanted him to break out in song), and Marcia Gay Harden, and they work really well together.  I can't stand Bull, I think I watched all of 20 minutes of it when it first came on.  ugh. 

Heh, I watched for the same reason at first (I've seen the trailer for it a few times so I had a vague idea of the premise). Then I got invested in what happened to the husband. I also like Skylar Astin (don't know if I'll keep watching, though). Never watched Bull.

• Love 8

So glad this show is back!  I was nervous that it couldn’t live up to last year’s  stellar debut but was glad to see the “ heart “ is still there- 

Hetty and Sas being upset with Issac’s treatment of Thorfin and then his sincere apology❤️  Great fake out on Jay being able to see Arrow Guy👍🏼

• Like 2
  • Love 18

It was confusing to me what the timeline is. 

On the one hand, they've fixed the floor and are about to receive a new guest.

On the other hand, Jay has a concussion and Sam wants him to stay in bed and rest.

Those two events had to happen at different times, but they made it seem like they both happened all in one day. When Jay went running to find out if he could see ghosts, the floor was already fixed.

• Like 1
  • Useful 9
  • Love 6

This is the best comedy in years, I hope it has a long run. With a large regular cast and new B&B guests most weeks I think there will be a lot to work with. 

For those that watched the original run of Roseanne...was the female guest Kathy Bowman?  She really plays a great shrew.  😆 Off to look it up!

Edited by eskimo
Typo
  • Useful 1
  • Love 10

I loved it Sam and Jay are the best couple on tv. Isaac was being a jerk to everyone tonight he deserved that cold shoulder. Jay still doesn't trust Hetty. I would love to introduce Sam to Janine from Abbott Elementary I think they would get along just fine.

• Love 8
2 minutes ago, kathyk24 said:

I would love to introduce Sam to Janine from Abbott Elementary I think they would get along just fine.

YES. Oh, my god, that would be a very entertaining crossover. If only they weren't on separate networks...

• Love 8

Dang, I really wanted Jay to be able to see the ghosts! Especially Pete!! He and Jay were so excited when they thought they could see each other! I love their bromance, so that was sad when they couldn't. 

I totally LOLed over those two NOT knowing their names were on their Yelp reviews!!

I really get bugged when Sam has secrets from Jay with the ghosts. And she clearly didn't learn anything at the end. Just bugs me because he's at such a disadvantage and the fact that she keeps taking advantage of it just makes her look bad to me. 

• Like 3
  • Love 8
34 minutes ago, eskimo said:

This is the best comedy in years, I hope it has a long run. With a large regular cast and new B&B guests most weeks I think there will be a lot to work with. 

For those that watched the original run of Roseanne...was the female guest Kathy Bowman?  She really plays a great shrew.  😆 Off to look it up!

Yep, she was Roseanne’s stuck-up neighbor from Chicago. I liked her best in “Malcolm in the Middle” when she was Gretchen, whose husband owned the dude ranch where Francis was manager.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
42 minutes ago, Maren said:

Dang, I really wanted Jay to be able to see the ghosts! Especially Pete!! He and Jay were so excited when they thought they could see each other! I love their bromance, so that was sad when they couldn't. 

I totally LOLed over those two NOT knowing their names were on their Yelp reviews!!

I really get bugged when Sam has secrets from Jay with the ghosts. And she clearly didn't learn anything at the end. Just bugs me because he's at such a disadvantage and the fact that she keeps taking advantage of it just makes her look bad to me. 

I would like for Jay to see the ghosts this show could be an updated version of Bewitched. Sometimes Jay is fortunate that he can't see them. The ghosts can act like children and Sam always has to explain why she's talking to herself. The therapist from Thorapy thought she was crazy.

• Like 1
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, chaifan said:

The one thing that I found really weird, though, is the ending to Season 1.  What purpose did having them fall through the floor serve?  I wonder if they had initially toyed with the idea of killing Jay off for a second, so he could see ghosts, too, and left it open for something like that until they had some view reaction/input to Season 1. 

They wanted a cliffhanger and had no better ideas, I assume.

• Useful 2
  • Love 4

Obnoxious Nancy sure didn’t argue when Hetty told her to leave; she just okayed and left. I guess you don’t argue with Hetty. Funny.

Also, what did Trevor say when it sounded like he was speaking another language. Guess I should have closed captioning on all the time since I tend to miss stuff when the characters speak too fast (and my hearing’s not that great anyway).

• Love 4
3 hours ago, bad things are bad said:

It was funny,  but I kinda hate the "clueless olds and technology,  amirite" trope. 

I work in IT, so they are not wrong. But it's not just old people that are clueless with tech. Those people deserved since they were just complaining to complain. 

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
  • Love 4
3 minutes ago, Sakura12 said:

I work in IT, so they are not wrong. But it's not just old people that are clueless with tech. Those people deserved since they were just complaining to complain. 

My dad's almost 83 and he's my tech support (he worked for Bell Labs for 35 years and still loves to play with computers). He has a friend about his age who is a poster boy for needing a license to have a computer, but friend has a son my age who isn't much better, apparently.

I want to know what about the butter dish was satanic.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • LOL 2
  • Love 9

I feel like maybe this wasn't the strongest episode to kick off the new season, although that might be because it seems like a lot of the great lines were spoiled in promo spots. That said I smiled all the way through because I love these characters so much.

My favorite (unspoiled) moments include someone telling Flower "Jay figured it out" and Flower going "Cool. Which one's Jay?" Also, just the visual of Thor, Isaac, Nigel and Sass bopping their heads to The Spice Girls. 

I knew that it was a red herring that Jay would be able to see Pete (another spoiled promo spot). I figured it would turn out exactly liked it did. But I'm in the minority, in that I don't want Jay to be able to see the ghosts. I think it's funnier this way. Like when he's saying "I'm looking at you!" to Hetty and thinks it's Trevor.

Next week's looks good. Can't wait to see Alberta flashbacks.

Those two events had to happen at different times, but they made it seem like they both happened all in one day. When Jay went running to find out if he could see ghosts, the floor was already fixed.

Ooh, ooh! I can answer this one because if you watched So Help Me Todd after this they kind of addressed it! Apparently, bed rest is compulsory for a month after a concussion. So maybe about a month had passed between the end of the Season 1 and this episode. Or at least a couple weeks if Jay got out of bed earlier than he was supposed to.

He said “kvetch to your face and kvell behind your back”. 

Reverse that an you've got it. 😉

• Like 1
  • Applause 3
  • Useful 4
  • Love 15
4 hours ago, bad things are bad said:

It was funny,  but I kinda hate the "clueless olds and technology,  amirite" trope. 

I hate to admit this but.......

When I first got on Twitter several years ago, I thought my tweets to a person were private and hidden from everyone except the person I was tweeting to (yes, I realize how stupid that is - now!).  When a co-worker told me that all of my tweets could be viewed by everyone/anyone, I was mortified and I've never tweeted since! 

• Hugs 5
  • LOL 4
  • Love 2
38 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

I can answer this one because if you watched So Help Me Todd after this they kind of addressed it! Apparently, bed rest is compulsory for a month after a concussion. So maybe about a month had passed between the end of the Season 1 and this episode. Or at least a couple weeks if Jay got out of bed earlier than he was supposed to.

! Wow, I didn't know that. My brother had a concussion when we were kids and they only rested him for a day or two. I guess I didn't know the guidelines had changed.

• Love 1

This is going to be an unpopular opinion:

i can do without Flower. I don’t think she adds much and eight ghosts is a lot of ghosts. Cuts down on the time allowed for the others and I wouldn’t mind at all if she got sucked off.

• Like 6
  • Applause 1
  • Love 6
12 hours ago, possibilities said:

On the other hand, Jay has a concussion and Sam wants him to stay in bed and rest.

I assumed that Jay had been in the hospital at least a few days in between and that's when the floor got fixed.  Yeah, it's a little fast for repairs and inspection but it's a show where one of the main characters sees ghosts, so I'm willing to give it some leeway.

• Like 2
  • LOL 2
  • Love 3
15 minutes ago, Sigmagirl said:

i can do without Flower. I don’t think she adds much and eight ghosts is a lot of ghosts. Cuts down on the time allowed for the others and I wouldn’t mind at all if she got sucked off.

I can't imagine losing any of the ghosts now. They don't use all of them in an episode anyway. Unless it's their story, they just react in the background or have one or two lines.

Speaking of Flower, she must have the most comfortable costume. The other ghost actors must be envious, especially Isaac and Hetty. 

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
  • Love 10

I absolutely love Jay! Interesting that in the pilot I thought he was the weakest character and sincerely hoped he’d be written out.  Now?  He is the most supportive, loving husband characters I’ve seen on TV in . . . I think ever? He accepts Sam sees ghosts and doesn’t treat her like she’s crazy or something that has to be “fixed.”  I appreciated that the thing that finally set him off on their awful guests was that they insulted his wife, and his way of defending her was telling them why he loves her.  

This week’s episode of The Neighborhood also revolved around Yelp reviews.  CBS have some sort of cross-promo thing going on?

• Like 3
  • Love 14
46 minutes ago, possibilities said:

! Wow, I didn't know that. My brother had a concussion when we were kids and they only rested him for a day or two. I guess I didn't know the guidelines had changed.

I'm sure it depends on the severity of the injury, too. I had a mild concussion once (slipped and hit the shower wall). I actually felt fine until the next day, when I started feeling kind of off. My supervisor actually talked to my dad because he wanted me to go home but didn't want me to drive, so my parents picked me up, and I basically slept for a day and a half (after talking to my doctor, who told me to get rest and watch out for certain symptoms) and I was okay after that (though I took it easy for the next several days). Jay fell through a floor to the bottom of the room below and was knocked unconscious (don't remember if they said for how long); he'd certainly be on the more more severe end of the concussion scale.

• Useful 4
  • Love 3
52 minutes ago, Sigmagirl said:

I’m right there with you. She’s mostly comic relief, but it’s a sitcom, so she’s not actually necessary. Everyone else is funny too, but their characters have actual meat to them.

In terms of comfortable costumes, here’s my ranking, from least to most:

1. Hetty

2. Thorfin

3. Isaac

4. Alberta

5. Trevor 

6. Pete

7. Sasappis and Flower

• Like 2
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, bad things are bad said:

Absolutely nobody can detest the "clueless olds and technology, amirite" trope more than I do.
(Retired IT person.)

2 hours ago, Sakura12 said:

I work in IT, so they are not wrong. But it's not just old people that are clueless with tech. 

I suppose the "clueless olds and technology" trope has been furthered in part because more older users don't mind asking for technology support, whereas more young users are too embarrassed to ask for tech help. 

2 hours ago, ams1001 said:

My dad's almost 83 and he's my tech support (he worked for Bell Labs for 35 years and still loves to play with computers). He has a friend about his age who is a poster boy for needing a license to have a computer, but friend has a son my age who isn't much better, apparently.

Thank you for these examples.

I wish/hope they will have the ghost who was oldest when they died (Hetty?) become the technology whizz of the ghosts. 
Perhaps Hetty could coach Trevor when he's "typing" to be able to accomplish more with a single keystroke, e.g., ESC.
Or, better yet, if they have a tech-savvy writer staying at the Woodstone, Hetty could pick up some fancy shortcuts or search terms that she shares with Sam.
But how old is/was Hetty?

• Applause 3
  • Love 5
3 hours ago, Sakura12 said:

It wasn’t necessarily a tech issue, more of a lack of basic reasoning.  If you can see other reviewers’ names on your computer, why wouldn’t other people be able to see your name on theirs?

• Like 7
  • Love 1
15 hours ago, possibilities said:

It was confusing to me what the timeline is. 

On the one hand, they've fixed the floor and are about to receive a new guest.

In sitcom land a sitcom contractor can both fix a floor and a sit com inspector can approve the fix all in a few seconds.  Also in sitcom land you can have sitcom ghosts be real.

14 hours ago, Maren said:

Not me.  I think if Jay could see the ghosts it would be the end of the show.  I don't mind if he gets a quick glimpse to have a memory of how they all look or flips with Sam for a few hours in that ability but no way does this show work if both he and Sam both can see the ghosts imo.  And Sam would be too sad if the ability were taken away from her permanently.  The actor playing Jay is great with the "not seeing the ghosts" scenes too.

5 hours ago, Sakura12 said:

I work in IT, so they are not wrong. ...

I think they are wrong.  Who were reading thick and highly technical 500 page manuals on DOS back in the day and understanding and getting through them fine?  Who were learning binary and split octal and hex to program at the chip level?  And who were building web sites from scratch without the help of easy templates?  Oh that would be people who are older today.  Certainly not the current 20 somethings some of which would freak out if they just couldn't swipe at stuff easily.

4 hours ago, iMonrey said:

... But I'm in the minority, in that I don't want Jay to be able to see the ghosts. I think it's funnier this way. Like when he's saying "I'm looking at you!" to Hetty and thinks it's Trevor.

I don't think you are in a minority.  I don't recall seeing a national referendum on the matter, haha.  And I agree with you totally.  I think the show would be ruined if Jay could see the ghosts.

3 hours ago, Sigmagirl said:

I thought Flower was too over the top and the weakest character in the first few episodes but they have toned her down and I think the character pulls her weight in the ensemble quite well now.  And like said above a couple of times she had that great line about who is Jay this episode.  And I cannot imagine having too many ghosts on this show.  The more the merrier.

She may not be able to carry an episode that much but she makes a good supporting character ghost nowadays I think.

Edited by Skooma
  • Like 4
  • Love 9
28 minutes ago, Skooma said:

I think they are wrong.  Who were reading thick and highly technical 500 page manuals on DOS back in the day and understanding and getting through them fine?  Who were learning binary and split octal and hex to program at the chip level?  And who were building web sites from scratch without the help of easy templates?  Oh that would be people who are older today.  Certainly not the current 20 somethings some of which would freak out if they just couldn't swipe at stuff easily.

That's not all old people. Those are the ones that know tech, not the ones that think their reviews on Yelp are anonymous or call into tech support.  But I also said it's not just old people that know nothing about how tech works. I have to handhold a lot of the younger generation too. 

That couple were just a-holes that thought because their reviews were anonymous they can be as rude as they wanted. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1
4 minutes ago, Sakura12 said:

it's not just old people that know nothing about how tech works. I have to handhold a lot of the younger generation too. 

Plus, there are older people who think being older is an excuse for ignorance about many things, with technology being one of many.
As an older person myself, this irks me because it fosters the "old people don't know tech" trope, and then we see it on a show like this, which makes me feel like I'm not supposed to be the audience. 

• Sad 3
  • Love 7

Oops, I have to correct an earlier error on my part. You were right - it did appear to be the same day when Jay ran around the house looking for ghosts. But when he's downstairs and thinks he sees Pete, you can see that the hole in the floor has not yet been fixed. There appears to be plywood or something covering it. 

The first scene post-credits takes place at some point later, without specifying how long later. But that's when the floor is fixed.

Another great line I remembered on re-watch: when the ghosts were warning Sam her voice was too high and she dropped it about two octaves to say "I'll let you enjoy your salads."

• Like 1
  • Useful 4
  • LOL 4
  • Love 4
1 minute ago, iMonrey said:

Another great line I remembered on re-watch: when the ghosts were warning Sam her voice was too high and she dropped it about two octaves to say "I'll let you enjoy your salads."

Best bit of the episode, IMO! Sam's deep-voiced "I'll let you enjoy your salads" was ghostly creepy, which made it LOL funny on the show.

• Like 1
  • LOL 8
  • Love 4
5 hours ago, Sigmagirl said:

I totally agree. I find her the least funny and the most annoying. She can go to the basement and join the cholera crew......

• Like 1
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, kathyk24 said:

I disagree I love Flower especially since we are learning more about her. Pete is the weakest character for me, He's a nice guy and that's all we know about him

Did you not see Pete’s episode last season? I highly recommend it!

• Applause 2
  • Love 13

I will confess I laughed a few times. I love this show but I was highly offended at the "two-face Duluther" line.  Since the couple were from the Midwest, I can only assume they were from, Duluth, Minnesota....I live in Duluth and love everything about it(except 45 below windchills).  Still, I vented on Facebook with the following line, " They need some new (Ghost) writers"...

Yep I'll see myself out.....

• Hugs 2
  • LOL 7