Type keyword(s) to search

• Start Topic

I think Schumer doesn't bother me that much (even though I think she's overrated) because she's stunt casting in the same way I thought Sting and Jane Lynch were last season. As much as I like Sting, him being there added nothing to the show, other than it was cool for them to say "Sting is the killer". and Jane Lynch just always seems like she's "Jane Lynch in a Role". 

• Like 1
  • Love 3

Because I couldn't find a picture of the Rose Cooper painting online yet, I took a picture of it from a ginormous TV screen with my phone.
And because there are balls in the picture, I'm putting it in spoiler tags:

Spoiler

OMITB-painting.thumb.jpg.9aa8396d4ece9db94718c3bc0325c11d.jpg

30 minutes ago, sjankis630 said:

I am not a fan of Amy Schumer but what is all this hate for Tina Fey? I have quite liked her in other shows. I really liked her in 30 Rock. Did she do something to piss everyone off?

I just find her very smug.

• Love 2

I rewatched the first 2 episodes yesterday.
Amy Schumer does the best possible with her role, but having her pretending to be Jan seems to be hanging a lantern on her being Jan 2.0 for the season. I mean, people have killed for apartments in Manhattan, right? I hope I'm wrong and there's a more interesting twist.

On 6/29/2022 at 8:29 PM, grandmabegum said:

Interesting. Well, if she was under the assumption that Mabel would talk to Oliver (or they'd at least be working in his apartment] maybe "14 Savage" is the clue that the bird has the answer to? Wild guess, but this early in the series wild guesses are my favorite guesses.

When I saw the words 14, Savage, and clue together, it suddenly got me wondering if Savage is the answer to a particularly vexing crossword puzzle clue #14 that Bunny had recently figured out, which will prove not related to anything at all meaningful in what was actually going on with Bunny, just like how the dying word Rosebud was revealed as simply the childhood sled in Citizen Kane, and not related to anything actually going on with Charles Foster Kane at the time of his death.   

17 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Because I couldn't find a picture of the Rose Cooper painting online yet, I took a picture of it from a ginormous TV screen with my phone.
And because there are balls in the picture, I'm putting it in spoiler tags:

Hide contents

OMITB-painting.thumb.jpg.9aa8396d4ece9db94718c3bc0325c11d.jpg

I do not see the instant resemblance to Charles, that caused all the people on the show to remark to him about "why are you in the picture"?  IIRC, we the audience haven't seen what Charles' dad looked like when he was older, so we don't even have that to compare to.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
10 minutes ago, LuvMyShows said:

I do not see the instant resemblance to Charles, that caused all the people on the show to remark to him about "why are you in the picture"?  IIRC, we the audience haven't seen what Charles' dad looked like when he was older, so we don't even have that to compare to.

When we saw young Charles' father (played by Ben Livingston) in the episode, he looked to me to be the same age as the man in the picture:

MV5BY2YyODU3OTAtZDgwZS00YWQ0LTg0MDEtNDJiY2UyN2I3ZmQ4XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQ0NDQ2OQ@@._V1_UY317_CR104,0,214,317_AL_.jpg

Last season I wanted to like it more than I did, partly because all my friends loved it to pieces and would ask me if I loved it, so I lied and said I did, because I really wanted to agree with them. (And didn't want them to think of me as a persnickety old grouch.)

This season I actually love it! Everything about it is better. I'm laughing out loud. My friends probably think it's not as good.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
12 hours ago, Milburn Stone said:

Last season I wanted to like it more than I did, partly because all my friends loved it to pieces and would ask me if I loved it, so I lied and said I did, because I really wanted to agree with them. (And didn't want them to think of me as a persnickety old grouch.)

This season I actually love it! Everything about it is better. I'm laughing out loud. My friends probably think it's not as good.

This is an awesome post.  I actually loved it so much last year, and was not too impressed by the first two episodes of this year.  LOL.  Let's hope we match up in enjoyment by the end of the season. 

• Love 3

My running thoughts while watching: Who is that? Is it Shirley McClain? Nah isn’t she dead? Whoever it is really would have taken a lot of Shirley’s roles. It would have been cool to have Debra Winger show up as another daughter of this Shirley McClain character. Seriously she has Shirley’s mannerisms down pat. Watches credits Oooooh Shirley is alive? I seriously thought she was dead.

I hope she is there for the whole show. 

Amy is the Roseanne Barr of acting. 
Not a fan the actress playing Mabel’s new interest. She is doing all the right things to be the slowly aggressive and throwaway funny lines character, I just shallowly don’t like her face. 

Mabel told Oliver that she and Oscar were great trauma loves but they were both just waiting on the better as friends text.

• Love 1
(edited)

While watching the show I was thinking, wait, what?  Is that Shirley MacLaine?  Had to go to imdb to confirm and was delighted to see yes, Shirley!  I also think Leonora rented the apartment across the street so she could paint as Rose.  She is much too vague about discussing her relationship with Rose.  And with Charles' dad.

Do we know why Charles' father ended up in jail?  It's implied that he had something to do with Rose's death/disappearance.  Would Big Bunny be that much of a bitch to let an innocent man go to jail?  (Assuming BB is Rose.)

I don't care about Oscar and don't think he'd add anything to this season.  I do like the stunt casting since it adds to the farcical nature of the show.  Everyone on the show is nutty.  (FTR I hate comedies, especially those where the humor is all about degrading people, but for some reason I find these three characters endearing.)  

Edited by Haleth
  • Love 1
25 minutes ago, Haleth said:

I also think Leonora rented the apartment across the street so she could paint as Rose

I love this idea, but then who is in woman who posed for the painting?

These days when nearly everyone can take nearly infinite photos with their phones, it's easy to forget that an oil painting takes many hours to paint——even if painted alla prima (all at once)——especially one of that size, and could easily take many weeks if layers were allowed to dry——although I suppose the original could have been quick sketches, with the actual painting done in a studio/apartment.

• Love 2

I’m ok with everyone but Mabel.  Omg, she really bothers me.  I think it’s the deadpan face and voice.  It’s beyond distracting.  I realize she’s a sweet young lady…but I just can’t get past it. I’m not enjoying this season like last….is it Mabel?  Idk.  This might be my last episode.  

(edited)
43 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I’m ok with everyone but Mabel.  Omg, she really bothers me.  I think it’s the deadpan face and voice.  It’s beyond distracting.  I realize she’s a sweet young lady…but I just can’t get past it. I’m not enjoying this season like last….is it Mabel?  Idk.  This might be my last episode.  

For me, it's the opposite. Last season Mabel's flat affect bugged me. 
This season she seems to relate to Oliver and Charles like they are family. 
I'm sure there are reasons why we react the opposite to her. 

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I know……..it’s odd.  I’m not sure what it is.  I shouldn’t have to struggle over this.  I read something about it elsewhere, but I can’t post the link here.   

• Like 1
11 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I think Mabel is perfect in her response to Charles and Oliver.  If she was animated and very expressive, she would not fit with them at all.

• Love 7
On 7/4/2022 at 2:20 PM, LuvMyShows said:

like how the dying word Rosebud was revealed as simply the childhood sled in Citizen Kane, and not related to anything actually going on with Charles Foster Kane at the time of his death.

Ummmm...what?

It was the key to the entire film. It explained why CFK was like he was.

On 7/3/2022 at 10:34 PM, sjankis630 said:

I am not a fan of Amy Schumer but what is all this hate for Tina Fey? I have quite liked her in other shows. I really liked her in 30 Rock. Did she do something to piss everyone off?

I like her. Yeah, I think she can be smug when it comes to her politics but I think she's really clever and funny.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, Aryanna said:

I like her. Yeah, I think she can be smug when it comes to her politics but I think she's really clever and funny.

I see smug in everything she does.  Certainly, the character she plays in this is just unbearably smug.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 3

I think Cara Delavingne is pretty but it's like she's doing everything she can to counteract her attractiveness. I know you could make the argument that it's for the character but I think that's just how she is in real life. 

• Useful 1

I'm really not feeling the addition of Amy Schumer and Cara Delevingne. Amy is annoying as hell and I would rather see someone else in this role.  Bette Midler could have done this better playing a fictional version of herself. The mentioning of Rosemary's Baby makes me think this could have even been played by Mia Farrow. 

Cara Delevingne is not annoying like Amy but she's just a crap actor. If they've decided to replace Oscar with her character they could have done a better job ending his story. It feels like they did Oscar (and the actor who plays him) dirty. 

Shirley Maclaine on the other hand is a fantastic addition to this season. I love her in this role and can't wait to see more from her character. I also hope they bring Jane Lynch back, loved the banter between her and Steve Martin.

• Love 4
On 7/1/2022 at 10:45 AM, AnimeMania said:

Yeah, after Mabel waited for years for Oscar to get out of Prison to be with him (4 weeks?), 

Was she waiting for him to be with him? I don't remember that. She was eager for his release, as a friend. But hadn't he been dating the girl who fell off the rooftop?

I dont miss him on the show. He was a throwaway character. 

On 7/1/2022 at 9:14 PM, MisterGlass said:

I am also old fashioned and think there should actually be a break up text, not just an anticipation of a break up text, before someone moved on.  We'll see what happens with the artist.  I could completely see her as Jan 2.0 or a red herring.  She never actually said it wasn't a cult last episode.

Were they an official couple? I don't think they were official so a break-up text shouldn't be necessary. 

On 7/3/2022 at 10:34 PM, sjankis630 said:

Ugh! I cannot stand Tina Fey. Too smug, as others have said.

I dont mind Amy Schumer I have actually enjoyed most of her work.

• Love 2
On 7/1/2022 at 12:06 AM, RedInk said:

Such disinterest in her daughter’s death and full focus on retrieving the painting?

This bothered me a LOT!

I also loved the sign on the dip that people were being recorded. A call back to season 1 when Oliver did some other weird thing at a gathering to inform people that they were being recorded. 

Also not a fan of Amy Schumer. I just find her very vulgar and not that funny. She tries so hard to be so funny, that she over compensates and just turns me off.

There was some okay costuming for the extras but that flashback of Charles and his dad had to be some of the worst period piece work on a TV show.

"You must ask permission to tell stories from now on."  😄 And when she was recording at the end, I saw a spark of the old Selena. I hope they figure out what to do with the character so she can have a personality. 

It took me a second to recognize the guard... it clicked once I heard Gut Milk.

Shirley MacLaine. Now that's some star power. Her attempts to eat that wedge of cheese got a real laugh.

The painting business was simple but managed to be very exciting. I'm actually invested in them not getting caught.

I love the bold colors they've been using to dress Mabel. It also works really nicely for fall.

I do think Cara can pull of glamorous and enigmatic and naturally flirtatious so this role worked for her. But I was immediately suspicious of her wanting Mabel to be filmed doing something aggressive when she's a person of interest in a violent murder. I do like that they went for a kiss (even if there was little build up) rather than prolonging it into something that might have felt like queerbaiting. It's a shame to lose Oscar but I suppose he can always come back as a friend if there's an amicable breakup.

I actually don't dislike Amy Schumer but she's so grating on this show. I don't know why comedy writers think the most annoying person you've ever met is a hilarious character to write into their scripts. 

Interesting that the painting is a reproduction. From the way Leonara was talking to Charles about an artist needing to disappear, I thought maybe she was "Rose" but I don't think that's it because she wouldn't have been so broke she just glued the back of the painting.

Well, at least someone is responsible for the bird now. I feel like Mrs. Gambolini is going to be important somehow. Excellent song for the credits.

• Like 1

I'm indifferent to Amy Schumer, but maybe they can kill her off early too?

It would be funny to create an alternate timeline where someone playing themselves is now dead in the OMITB universe.

I don't think Alice has pure motives for Mabel but I don't think she's the killer (or probably even involved in the murder). I do think Howard's black eye is suspicious but that seems like another red herring because I don't think they'd give us such an obvious clue so early. 

I don't think Leonora Folger is Rose Cooper, because Rose Cooper wanted to get away and needed money. Leonora Folger has all of the money in the world. 

Agreed. She is the hotel heiress. You'd have to really strain an explanation of her money belonging to her husband (because she's a woman) to make all that dialogue work with Leonara = Rose, unless she was outright lying. To me, that goes against the rules of fairplay too much.

• Like 1

I don't have any behind the scenes info, but, unless the actor decided to quit, it kinda sorta reads to me as if Oscar got written out so Selena Gomez could have one of her very close friends (Delevigne) as an apparent love interest instead. To me, it makes absolutely no sense that, what, 1-2 days after the season 1 finale (when Oscar and Mabel were shown as being intimately close) and immediately after Mabel's life is upended by being implicated in a major murder, she and Oscar tacitly agree to just be friends, and Oscar is nowhere to be found. Like, what? Really? Did Oscar kill Bunny and make a run for it?

I think it makes sense from a TV writing perspective, but the timeline is bad. I forget which thread it's talked about here, but TV writers seem allergic to happy couples. But also, as we saw with Jan last season, you're not really going to run around just in a trio if you have a partner. I don't think they wanted Oscar (even if he was a Hardy Boy) tagging along solving the mystery. Oscar definitely would have gotten involved with Mabel framed as the main suspect. Alice is easier to write in because she's a stranger so she's not going to be in the inner circle of trust. 

I don't know how I'm supposed to feel about the forged painting because in AS's apartment, it looked printed (vs. a painting or lithograph) and I don't know if that is significant or just a basic prop thing I'm not supposed to read too much into.

There definitely are people who say they have no family and it can mean they don't acknowledge/are estranged from the family they do have. 

I do like the idea of Leonora played by Shirley MacLaine being a fake but I have to imagine someone in the building knew what Bunny's mom looked like, even if just from photos. Though maybe not depending on the age of the residents and when they moved in. 

• Like 1