Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E16: Quarterfinals: Week 4 Performances

• Start Topic

Bad Boys of Ballet: A dance troupe that's talented and entertaining? Yes please. Their synchronicity was amazing and they're all hella skilled.

One Voice Children's Choir: Lol at the kid mouthing along to the teleprompter with Nick. Um, yeah, so this happened. They sang a song that's been overplayed to death and I felt nothing in my cold black heart.

Jonah Smith: Already forgot his performance.

Dom the Bom's Triple Threat: Holy guacamole, this was a trainwreck that wouldn't end. Nice try, producers/directors, but I saw those targets go off before the cards even hit them. And when the one card didn't chop the celery all  the way through so he pushed it over...I laughed way too hard. There were just too many misses and too much going on. Was all that food real? Please tell me it got donated to a homeless shelter after the show. And I found it kind of rude that the kid kept throwing cards while the judges were giving their criticisms. I know he's a kid, but a little professionalism would be nice. And finally, did Nick threaten to beat a child with a belt on live television? I know he was joking but I cringed at that.

Extreme: Was no one going to comment on how they totes messed up that girl's flip at the end? She was facing the wrong way and they had to awkwardly turn her around. Um, it was fine, I thought, except for the messy ending. And shut up, Howie. "When do you see tricks like that in dance?" Um, all the time.

Emil and Dariel: I thought this started out good but just got kind of sloppy towards the end. The song didn't really lend itself well to the cello, I thought. It wasn't pleasing to my ears in the slightest.

Nina Burri: This woman is legit. Like damn.

Quintavious Johnson: I thought his Judgement Week performance was much better, this one was kind of all over the place. I wonder how much money Jennifer Hudson makes from royalties on AGT alone.

Mothmen Dance: Well, the part in the air got dull really fast, and the part on the ground was awful. The two guys in the front...one of them was half a count behind the other one! Howard said the dancing wasn't technically good and he was absolutely right. It's hard to enjoy the more "unique" parts of an act when they can't even master the basics.

Smoothini: Damn, man, what happened? He's still got skills but it was like his charisma just up and evaporated. Also, what was with the fish at the end? The theme of the whole act was money and then he randomly added a fish. It was weird.

Jonatan Riquelme:  Yawn. I feel like this kind of act needs more than 90 seconds. He's impressive and is doing something that I wouldn't ever dare to do, but too much time was spent on the set-up.

Kelli Glover: Not at all surprised she got the pimp spot. I'm starting to think AGT only contacted her to audition again so that she could have a nice little comeback story. Um, she has great hair. Yeah that's it.

Idk if I'll even vote. I really don't care who gets through, tbh. Now, if there was a way to vote where I could say "these are the people I definitely don't want to get through," that would be great. But as it is there really wasn't an act I felt that passionate about. This season is just really dragging.

• Love 2

I really want smoothini, Dom the bomb, and Jonatan riquelme to go through because its unique and much more difficult than singing and dancing. Even though all those three had pretty tough nights (aside from jonatan) we all saw in their auditions how fantastic they are.

Other than that quintavious was the only stand out even though I hate singers on this show

Why is it that every week of these quarterfinals, I feel so underwhelmed? Where are all the good acts? Oh, there were a few sprinkled in tonight, but overall - meh. I'd have a hard time picking five that are worthy of going through. I did miss Quintavious and Smoothini, unfortunately.

The dance troupes - I saw two and neither one impressed. The Bad Boys of Ballet did, indeed, come across a bit like someone's background dancers. Very good background dancers, but still. Extreme just aren't that good apart from the tumbling and stunts. The rest is just OK. Tonight I had a hard time seeing them between the colors they were wearing and the lighting during their number.

Card thrower was definitely off. He should have gone for something more dramatic, less frantic. I feel bad for any kid act doing less than their best (well...with a couple of exceptions). But the judges were right. It was cute, not great.

The One Voice Choir - They were fine but boring. There is nothing here that you can't get at any middle school or junior high choral concert. They didn't actually sound off-key or lose their place like in the auditions, and that's the best I can say. Really no performance skills, either. Just a big ho-hum. (And I'm sooooo sick of that song!)

Jonah Smith I liked. He has an interesting voice and uses it well. Kelli Glover was just OK. Totally didn't get the judges' raves.

Emil and Darile: Not as good as their first performance, to my mind. Maybe in part because the element of surprise was removed. I feel stupid that I didn't manage to ID the song till Howie mentioned the Stones.

Nina Burri: Again, I like her, but not as strong as her audition. There was too much ballet and not enough contortion.

Jonathan Riquelme: What can you say to an act that scares you to death? I'd say he deserves to go through, as it was definitely a thrill ride. But I don't know how much of that I can take.

Speaking of frights, I dread to see which acts the judges bring back. Howie, you better not try to foist that rollerblader on us! Or Mike Super, come to that.

• Love 1

Yeah, Nina Burri was my favourite. She is just stunning, in both her performance and her appearance.

I like Emil and Dariel cause I'm a cellist also and you can damn well tell they love what they are doing. Their devotion to their grandfather and love for him is kinda cool also. Even though I did not love tonight's performance I hope they make it through cause at least they aren't mediocre dancers or child singers.

Speaking of... I like Quintavious. I felt like some of the words were missing from his song tonight, like right at the end it seemed like he just started singing love, love, love without anything else there with it, but at least it doesn't seem like his family is depending on him to be a cash cow like some other child singers and he never mentioned how this is his "last chance in life ever" since he's 11 and all, so there's that.

Had to add: maybe it's just me, but I thought the card triplets were UBER annoying. It absolutely does take talent to be able to throw cards like that, but actually, half of it was unsuccessful and all of it was just plain boring. The other 2 do not contribute anything at all. And, I know they're just 8, but have they been taught NO manners at all? For that child to keep throwing cards at Nick THE ENTIRE TIME they were being judged was just ridiculous.

Edited by PepperMonkey
  • Love 8

Dear AGT,

Please...enough with the stupid kid (card) tricks!  I'm sick & tired of watching entitled kids cry when judges critique their "act". I wouldn't want to see these kids if their show was FREE!! 

And this kid was obnoxious with the continuous throwing of cards towards Nick. Made me want to smack him myself. I don't blame Nick for his comment. Enough is enough! Now kids...go away...please!

• Love 5

I feel stupid that I didn't manage to ID the song till Howie mentioned the Stones.

Hey don't feel bad.  I am a BIG Stones fan and I had no idea it was a Stones song either.  But then again I was playing Ruzzle and only half listening so maybe there's that.

The card trick guy.......um boring!  Why did he think that would work on a big stage?  How come they did not have it up on a screen behind him?  That might have helped in including the audience in on his trick.  And yeah random goldfish was very weird.

• Love 1

I feel stupid that I didn't manage to ID the song till Howie mentioned the Stones.

What song were they playing?  I was trying to figure it out and my best guess was Baba O'Riley by The Who....which is clearly not a Stones song.

I was super underwhelmed by last night.  I had no real favorites. It was generally kind of blah for me.

That was a spectacularly week quarterfinals, by far the weakest of any of the quarterfinals this year.

Bad Boys of Ballet: Eh. I have to agree with Howie. There was nothing "bad boy" or edgy about it.

One Voice Children's Choir: I'm still mad about the way they got through. Howard and Howie always expect the female judges to defer to them when it comes to comedy, so how about Howard gives Mel B the same respect when it comes to singing? I hated that she caved to him. If the prize for winning is headlining a show in Vegas, I can't think of a worse act than a hundred-voice children's choir. If they could tell the family singing group that they belong at the Grand Ole Opry, not Vegas... why did they ever let this group through? And I cringed when I heard the first notes of that overplayed song (which I actually do like). It's great that these kids are learning teamwork and musical appreciation and have a leader who loves them and gives them a safe place to go. That doesn't mean they ever should have been here.

Jonah Smith: Who? Forgettable.

Dom the Bom's Triple Threat: Bad. Yes, it's impressive that the little boy can throw cards that far and yes the triplet aspect is a good gimmick, but cuteness and one trick doesn't take you far.

Extreme: It was fine. But sometimes the groups that do similar things are spectacular.

Emil and Dariel: Somehow I thought they had already been eliminated. I wouldn't mind if they went through, but again... just fine amidst a lot of terrible. 

Nina Burri: Good.

Quintavious Johnson: The one kid I thought was getting through on competition-worthy talent rather than cuteness and he goes with "And I Am Telling You I'm Not Going." It annoyed me when Mara Justine sang it and it annoyed me this time. That is a very grown up song about very grown up experiences. Having a kid sing it isn't precocious. It's creepy. One of the reasons I liked Jaycob Curley of the younger singers this year was because his first choice of song matched the experience he's actually had. Yeah, I can buy a teen who spent his early childhood bouncing around the foster care system singing about waiting on the world to change and coming from an authentic place. A young child cannot sing "And I Am Telling You I'm Not Going" from an authentic place. 

Mothmen Dance: AGT has so numbed me with their sob stories for every contestant that when someone legitimately appears to be upset about separation from his child, I'm all "that's all you've got for the sob story portion of the competition?!?!?! Who hasn't experienced that?!?!"

Smoothini: The camera work wasn't friendly to the audience at home and the audience in the room obviously couldn't see a thing. He should have projected himself onto a screen for them. But, he gets some votes on the strength of past performance.

Jonatan Riquelme:  As was said above... it was all set up for a few seconds of performance. He gets some votes, too, though.

Kelli Glover: So tired of hearing her whine about being eliminated that I'm looking forward to her being eliminated again.

Now, can someone bring back the jump ropers?

Edited by Panopticon
  • Love 6
What song were they playing?

Can't Get No Satisfaction.   I knew it right away from the first chords played and once again, I really loved the duo cello players.  But my husband was not as impressed this time as before.  So he agrees with the majority opinion here.   I have to say I really enjoyed Jonah's performance and I voted for him.

But, yeah, it sure was a slow unimpressive night.  Except for Dom the Bomb's who got a rise out of me - and not a good one.  What a brat that kid was, throwing cards that perhaps sting on contact at poor Nick.  They weren't happy about the negative feedback they were getting - but I blame the jidges for putting this act through to the finals in the first place.   Never ever want to see them again.  Take the kid to little league baseball tryouts - might have a great pitcher in the making there.

Everyone else, excepting Nina,  can go home - I like Quint a lot, but I agree about it being SUCH a wrong song choice.  There are so many great songs out there for a kid his age - why not choose one of them.   I would not be unhappy though if he makes it through.  He has a fabulous voice, but I agree that puberty could ruin his singing career.

As far as Jidge's choices - I am keeping my fingers crossed that the jump rope performers, the Bollywood performers and the two opera divas make it through.  Especially the opera singers.  They got a raw deal, I think anyway.

• Love 1

Re: Cello Brothers and their choice of song.

I think this is what did them in. Yes, I get that a rock song is a great way to set off the electric cello, but "Satisfaction" has, to paraphrase the flick "Amadeus", too few notes. Especially if you're trying to soar the way they wanted to. It's the same refrain over and over...

Wouldn't "Paint it Black" have been a much better choice?

Edited by A Boston Gal
  • Love 2

Kelly Glover needs to be told that TV reality shows are not the path to success. Yes, she can sing and she is photogenic. Why not go into musical theatre, where many Idol alum are making a good living and finding a modicum of fame. She has a good, belty voice for that.

The car throwing act was weird, but I sense producer involvement. I get the grocery store concept, since he cuts veggies with his cards, but there should have been some sort of comical story, like having the sibs fight over a cucumber or something and have card thrower be the "dad" who solves the problem by dividing it with a card. Or something that would involve the other kids and actually mean something. If that was their audition act, they would have been X'd.

I like the cello boys, they remind me of Trans Siberian Orchestra.

Lots of the acts were slower or duller than previously, which is odd since they're supposed to "kick it up a notch" for the next round. Maybe they should have paired acts together - have the cello boys perform with the Bad Boys of Ballet, or have the daredevil balancing guy perform as the kids choir sings "Let It Go". Heh.

Enough with the superlatives, jidges. When Heidi said that Kelli Glover gave an "unforgettable" performance, I thought, enough is enough. She's not my cup of tea but if Heidi had said "tremendous" or "spectacular" I would have been fine with it. But there was nothing "unforgettable" about that performance. That's a huge "go to" song for American Idol competitions, complete with the melismas that Glover threw into her performance (I suspect melismas are a nice way to cover pitch problems.) I've seen it sung dozens of times but I have no specific memory of any of those performances, including this one.

• Love 1
And finally, did Nick threaten to beat a child with a belt on live television? I know he was joking but I cringed at that.

I'm afraid that I didn't cringe at all.   I was totally on Nick's side.  That was a horrible, horrible child.  You could tell that the kid thought it was hilarious.  Strange vibe there, amongst the three.  The card throwing kid is so dominent, and the other two so passive.  

Loved the contortionist, she has so much magnetism and intensity, and her ice blue eyes are mesmerizing.  

The man that did the balancing on the swing and the rolly things stressed me out too much to watch.  I really hate those kind of acts.  No one needs to be in danger, or appear to be in danger for my entertainment.   

And, Smoothini, what happened man?  I'm with Howard, it was too hard to see what he did. It was too small for the venue.

Mel and Howard were the total voices of reason tonight.  Some excellent advice given.  

Edited by rollacoaster
  • Love 6

Bad Boys of Ballet: Eh. I have to agree with Howie. There was nothing "bad boy" or edgy about it.

You can interpret the phrase two ways, "bad boys" of ballet, or bad "boys of ballet". Maybe it's the latter and they were engaging in a little self-deprecation when they named themselves. The camera work made it hard to say if they were being accurate; I didn't see anything exceptionally good about the performance.

• Love 1
Quintavious Johnson: The one kid I thought was getting through on competition-worthy talent rather than cuteness and he goes with "And I Am Telling You I'm Not Going." It annoyed me when Mara Justine sang it and it annoyed me this time. That is a very grown up song about very grown up experiences. Having a kid sing it isn't precocious. It's creepy. One of the reasons I liked Jaycob Curley of the younger singers this year was because his first choice of song matched the experience he's actually had. Yeah, I can buy a teen who spent his early childhood bouncing around the foster care system singing about waiting on the world to change and coming from an authentic place. A young child cannot sing "And I Am Telling You I'm Not Going" from an authentic place.

Amen Panopticon. I have loved that song since the first time I heard it back in the 80's and saw Dreamgirls on Broadway. Except for Heidi and Howie, the thing that annoys me no end about this show is that they ALWAYS have a child contestant who chooses to sing it. I get that it's a vocally showy, emotional, powerful song, but it is not a song for a child to sing. There is no way a child has had the life experiences to sing this. Ever. And I seriously wish if AGT doesn't tell children to stop choosing to sing this that they would in the future ban: 1.) Singers 2.) Kids, and especially 3.) Kid singers. And before I end my rant :), I also found it really odd for it to be sung by a male because it has always struck me as a particularly female song. I'm sure he will go through, and he does have a really good voice, but enough with children and that song!

Edited by parrotlover
  • Love 3

I must add that Quintavius is probably both the best and worst name I have ever heard.

And he's a good singer, but looks just like Urkel. What would be some good, vocally showy songs that kids could sing?

Just off the top of my head "You Raise Me Up" by Josh Groban or "The Climb" by Miley Cyrus. Not saying I love those songs but they would be vocally showy and more kid appropriate.

Edited by parrotlover

The camera was horribly placed for Smoothini.  When he "magically" transformed the ones into hundreds the low camera angle CLEARLY showed that he had TWO distinct bundles of bills stacked on top of each other and when he tapped with that wallet, the top stack adhered to the wallet and was lifted off so he could palm it and hide it while Howie and Mel gasped at the new stack. 
The folded bills were better, tho basic sleight of hand nontheless, but the ones to hundreds was sloppily performed.  (Sleight of hand for beginning 5th graders)

I will never, ever vote for a singer on AGT.  The really good ones should audition for Idol or The Voice--plenty of opportunity to showcase their talent there.  If we really have so many pre-teen singing prodigies as this show wants us to believe, then group them all together and have a special kid version (it works for MasterChef Junior). 
I don't mind a good choir or a cappella group or the occasional operatic act because they don't have as many other opportunities, but get some GOOD groups, not just cute groups with a story.

I wonder how many times next season that Howie or Mel B will gush about some gymnastic dance group showing moves that "have never been seen before!!!"  Here's a tip Howie--go to any college or large high school and watch the cheerleaders or dance team perform at halftime.  The good ones are just as much in synch and are thrown just as high as the "unbelievable" groups that you orgasm about on AGT.

• Love 2

Please...enough with the stupid kid (card) tricks!  I'm sick & tired of watching entitled kids cry when judges critique their "act". I wouldn't want to see these kids if their show was FREE!! 

The worst part was that little girl didn't squeak out a single tear. They cut to a close-up of her and her eyes were as dry as the Sahara desert. It was so disgustingly fake. I've never felt such contempt for a child before.

The worst part about kid acts on this show, for me, is not that they are judged based on their age. It's that the judges are afraid to be harsh with them at all. I get it, no one wants to tell an eight-year-old they didn't do a good job. But this isn't little league baseball where the coaches don't keep score and everyone gets a trophy at the end of the season. It's a competition. If a parent is going to consent to have their child(ren) perform on this show, then it's their responsibility to sit the kid(s) down and explain to them that the judges may not like their performance, and that they might not get voted through to the next round. If the kid(s) can't handle that, don't put them on the show.

• Love 8

Please...enough with the stupid kid (card) tricks!  I'm sick & tired of watching entitled kids cry when judges critique their "act". I wouldn't want to see these kids if their show was FREE!!

Also, kids, it's not "mean" to tell you your act didn't work.  It's mean to have the producers interfere, but that's a different topic (maybe that's why he was throwing cards at Nick Cannon; the problem is that probably cost him votes.  Maybe he thought he was going home anyway.)

I think the only solution is to change the channel when kid acts are on, and hope that enough Neilsen families do this to matter.

Also, for the one-voice children's choir, the money works out to about $10,000/kid, payable over 30 years or so.  At that kind of revenue, you don't have to worry about much of a tax bite, but if they win, they can pay for college...applications.

ETA:  I think Smoothdini will make it through on a combination of prior work and a weak night.  Beyond that I'm guessing the contortionist and the ballet people, and then a lot of wishing we could have some acts from the first two weeks. 

Edited by marketdoctor
  • Love 2
Hey don't feel bad.  I am a BIG Stones fan and I had no idea it was a Stones song either.  But then again I was playing Ruzzle and only half listening so maybe there's that.

See, that's an issue I have with their act. I guess they are good players, I don't know enough about cello to judge when it's this kind of performance. But if the idea is that they're reworking rock classics, you should be able to tell which rock classic. Otherwise it sounds just random. Rock cello isn't really to my taste anyway, but their first performance had the surprise value of the song and style. Now that I know, I just don't like it very much. It just sounds like undisciplined playing. I like both rock and classical, but this doesn't grab me.

P.S. Thanks for making me feel better about not recognizing the song. After Howie mentioned Stones, I realized it was Satisfaction. But at the time it just sounded repetitive.

Edited by peggy06

With  American Idol, The Voice, and Rising Star all covering the "amateur"  singers, there are just too many singing competitions on TV.

I think AGT would do well to have all other talents showcased, and not have any singers compete.    

Oh goodness gracious me.  I agree with everything that's been said, even where one person's statement contradicts another person's statement.  How in helly hell is that possible???  But it's true.

America's Got Talent:  Now with Rod Serling as host.  do-do-do-do  do-do-do-do

I'm not sure, but I think I hope that Nina Burri, Quintavious, cello bros (despite), and Smoothini (despite), go through.

I am sure that I do not want children's choir, Kelli Glover, or card kid to go through.

So glad this round of eliminations will be over.  Sheesh.

There is no way a child has had the life experiences to sing this. Ever.

How is this any different than an adult singing in a foreign language they don't understand? Someone with talent can perform the nuances even if they don't "get" what they're singing. We're just seeing too many children trying to substitute cuteness for talent.

If a parent is going to consent to have their child(ren) perform on this show, then it's their responsibility to sit the kid(s) down and explain to them that the judges may not like their performance, and that they might not get voted through to the next round.

It's not necessarily even not liking their performance; it's that somebody else may be better.

Each judge had a "save" they could use - Howard used his very early on. Did any of the other judges use theirs? Did the saves "go away" once the quarterfinals began, or are the saves people have been talking about those saves? (if so, Howard shouldn't get another one)

I would actually like to see the cellists DO a classical number; you can jazz those up too, if you so choose.

Also, I'd like to see Quintavious do a gospel or praise song. I was so much more impressed by his little background video, singing in church, than I was by a Dreamgirls song. I realize he was trying to do a really big song to make a big impact, but I don't think he has to do that with the voice he has. I like him enough without the big Broadway numbers.

Kelli Glover, please be gone after tonight. Thank you.

OMG!!! If that nitwit Heidi Klum brings Kelli Glover back as her wildcard pick, I'm done. Someone mentioned above she has a lovely voice and looks good, with which I don't necessarily agree. She's attractive enough, don't mean anything about her looks, but I don't think her voice is that special.

Edited by PepperMonkey
  • Love 2

Each judge had a "save" they could use - Howard used his very early on. Did any of the other judges use theirs? Did the saves "go away" once the quarterfinals began, or are the saves people have been talking about those saves? (if so, Howard shouldn't get another one)

The golden buzzer saves were for the audition rounds only. Each judge got one, and could use it to put through any act they wanted to Judgement Week, regardless of what the other judges voted. Howard used his on Dustin's Dojo, and Howie used his on a parody rap duo. Mel and Heidi didn't use theirs, and seeing as how neither of the golden buzzer picks made it to the live rounds, I doubt that concept will show up next year.

The wild cards (which were supposed to happen tonight but didn't) are totally different. Each judge gets to pick one act that had already performed in the quarter-finals but was voted off to bring back for another chance in the semifinals.

Edited by helenamonster

In retrospect, I wonder if the card-throwing kid was reacting to rumors that Nick was cheating on his wife.  If so:

1.  That is a slightly better justification--just not enough.

2.  A kid might have a harder time understanding that rumors aren't enough to make those decisions on.

From the clips, it seems more likely he's just used to having more permissive parents, and didn't understand boundaries really well. 

I think every time a kid appears on this show, they should give $2000 to a fund for the kid's therapy.  Per kid.  If common sense doesn't stop kid acts, economic pressure might.

Dom the Bom's Triple Threat: Holy guacamole, this was a trainwreck that wouldn't end. Nice try, producers/directors, but I saw those targets go off before the cards even hit them. And when the one card didn't chop the celery all  the way through so he pushed it over...I laughed way too hard. There were just too many misses and too much going on. Was all that food real? Please tell me it got donated to a homeless shelter after the show. And I found it kind of rude that the kid kept throwing cards while the judges were giving their criticisms. I know he's a kid, but a little professionalism would be nice. And finally, did Nick threaten to beat a child with a belt on live television? I know he was joking but I cringed at that.

I know I'm a week late with these comments (I recorded the show and didn't get a chance to watch until last night), but YES to all of this!! This was a TRAIN WRECK. It so horrifying and cringe worthy. I don't know how this act got all the way to the quarterfinals. I was practically watching through my fingers. Especially when he reached over and knocked over the celery after he missed with the card and DEFINITELY when he was throwing cards at Howie/Nick. I was horrified, but also somewhat amused by Nick's response. Yes, I am a horrible person.

The worst part was that little girl didn't squeak out a single tear. They cut to a close-up of her and her eyes were as dry as the Sahara desert. It was so disgustingly fake. I've never felt such contempt for a child before.

Yes, I noticed this too. I wasn't paying close enough attention to see if she was actually pretending to cry or the judges just thought she was and called it out, even though she wasn't trying to. 

I agree the triplets performance was one of the worst acts I've ever seen.  If I kept throwing card after card a few would hit the mark. That seemed to be all he was doing.  The judges are quick to point out mistakes in some acts and ignore them in others.