Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E08: The One, The Only

• Start Topic

What a terrific second season.

They show how much fondness Deb and Ava have for each other, how hard-earned it has been -- despite the alleged bullying.

They weave in these touching moments and acts between the two women among all he jokes or vice versa, in a pitch perfect way.

None of it rings false or forced.

Deb recognizes that Ava reinvigorated her career or made her reinvent herself.  Even if she didn't lose the residency, she was on cruise control, complacent.

The loyalty Jimmy showed was moving but they did inject the comedy with Kayla quitting her father's agency as well.

As soon as Deb saw that Ava had other opportunities emerging as a result of the success of the special, she gave her a severance and gave Ava freedom.

This could have been a great series ending but Inside the Episode says they plan to show how these two characters fare being apart from each other.  HBO Max may not have officially announced renewal but they probably pitched an outline of this season and at least another season, since this season sets up for what a third season would be like.

One might quibble with selling 50k DVDs as probably not being a big deal these days.  Even rounding up to $20, that's only a million dollars gross and she already spent $800k on the auction.  Would that really influence the networks to get into a big bidding war though?  Only a couple of networks air standup comic specials -- well now Netflix does as well, I suppose.

It might also have been interesting to see the critical reaction, to see how being more biographical was received and whether that opened up opportunities for Deborah outside of standup.  Maybe we'll see something like that in the next season.

• Love 18
(edited)
4 hours ago, aghst said:

One might quibble with selling 50k DVDs as probably not being a big deal these days.  Even rounding up to $20, that's only a million dollars gross and she already spent $800k on the auction.  Would that really influence the networks to get into a big bidding war though?  Only a couple of networks air standup comic specials -- well now Netflix does as well, I suppose.

It might also have been interesting to see the critical reaction, to see how being more biographical was received and whether that opened up opportunities for Deborah outside of standup.  Maybe we'll see something like that in the next season.

I would bet Paul Jimmy likely sent the completed special to various networks, even those who passed up on it.  They see that, see how well it sold and I do think they'd try to get the rights.  Most probably think the QVC audience might not be the same as their audience, especially if it's streaming.

I really wondered if Deborah might jump to a different agent for a second. 

I'm confused as to why Paul Jimmy doesn't have a stake in the company.  If his father was a partner, wouldn't he have inherited part of it?  I think that might have been explained but I don't remember.

The moment where Deborah sets Ava free was so well done.  It's a good ending to the series if that's where they stop but I certainly hope for more. 

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 7
3 hours ago, aghst said:

This could have been a great series ending but Inside the Episode says they plan to show how these two characters fare being apart from each other.  HBO Max may not have officially announced renewal but they probably pitched an outline of this season and at least another season, since this season sets up for what a third season would be like.

I agreed with very word, but clipped for this. I kind of love if it ends here, but I also want more of these characters. Failing a third season, and this shocks me to my core, I'd watch a spin-off of Jimmy and Kayla and their business. First season and most of this, the last thing I thought I'd want is more Kayla.  

• Like 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 5

S2 was terrific, and I really came to love their friendships. I kinda hope this is it — it’s perfect where it ended.

I don’t know if I agree that Deb/Ava are exactly the same, though. Deb sacrificed by pushing Ava out of the nest, but it wasn’t until after they’d worked out the show and sold it to the network. I don’t think firing Ava materially harmed her self-interests whereas Ava was actively damaging her own in order to stay. Deb never needed that push. The scene where she fired Ava was sweet as difficult as it was to see them break.

I’ve always been kinda meh on Jean Smart, but this was a home run.

• Applause 1
  • Love 5
(edited)
3 hours ago, Kiddvideo said:

S2 was terrific, and I really came to love their friendships. I kinda hope this is it — it’s perfect where it ended.

I don’t know if I agree that Deb/Ava are exactly the same, though. Deb sacrificed by pushing Ava out of the nest, but it wasn’t until after they’d worked out the show and sold it to the network. I don’t think firing Ava materially harmed her self-interests whereas Ava was actively damaging her own in order to stay. Deb never needed that push. The scene where she fired Ava was sweet as difficult as it was to see them break.

I’ve always been kinda meh on Jean Smart, but this was a home run.

Yes, it was a nice call back when Deb said her husband and sister gravitated toward each other because she does not leave room for anyone else in her relationships. She was allowing Ava the opportunity to focus on herself.

I want to add that I loved the way they dressed Deb this season

She always looked like the perfect combination of fabulous, expensive, and tacky. 

5 hours ago, QQQQ said:

Jean Smart looked especially beautiful at in the last party scene.

That last dress did look amazing on her and was a little mellower than her usual style.

Edited by qtpye
  • Love 11
7 hours ago, aghst said:

One might quibble with selling 50k DVDs as probably not being a big deal these days

I assume they'd go to a second printing.

2 hours ago, Kiddvideo said:

Deb sacrificed by pushing Ava out of the nest, but it wasn’t until after they’d worked out the show and sold it to the network. I don’t think firing Ava materially harmed her self-interests whereas Ava was actively damaging her own in order to stay. Deb never needed that push.

I think Deb's real sacrifices came much earlier. Like she said on stage, she basically sacrificed her husband and her sister for her career.

But I do think pushing Ava out of the nest was the right thing to do. What a lovely and bittersweet moment.

Loved when Janet told Ava she didn't even know who Ava was. Side note: I'm a little confused about Deborah apparently not having an agent and/or how the show conflates managers and agents. (Briefly, an agent negotiates specific deals and has multiple clients while a manager often only has one client and Jimmy had a whole portfolio. Honestly, Marcus as CEO of Deborah's businesses is more like a manager than Jimmy.)

The little conversation between DJ and Deborah was really sweet. Nice button on it too: "Oh, [it turning your wrist black is] really good for you. That's the iron."

• Love 4

I binged both seasons in a week (I have loved Jean Smart since she was on 24) and wow, this finale was great. I really felt that Ava was crying because Deborah was leaving her, not just because she was losing her job. I really grew to love their friendship, rough spots and all.

I got the vibe that Deb dropped the lawsuit so she wouldn't have to see Ava again, maybe for her own protection or for Ava's or for both. She genuinely believes Ava is better off without her.

• Like 1
  • Love 8
18 hours ago, qtpye said:

I want to add that I loved the way they dressed Deb this season

She always looked like the perfect combination of fabulous, expensive, and tacky. 

That last dress did look amazing on her and was a little mellower than her usual style.

Her hair was styled in a much softer style as well. Definitely some symbolism there.

Seeing Deborah’s daughter and Ava’s mom is another of layer why they probably gravitated towards each other in the end. They understood each other in a way their own family didn’t.

• Love 7
3 minutes ago, shipmate said:

Her hair was styled in a much softer style as well. Definitely some symbolism there.

Seeing Deborah’s daughter and Ava’s mom is another of layer why they probably gravitated towards each other in the end. They understood each other in a way their own family didn’t.

The sad thing is that Ava’s mom would not be that bad if she would have an honest conversation with her daughter. Ava’s mom seems obsessed with believing that Ava had this perfect childhood.

• Love 3
On 6/2/2022 at 12:28 PM, aghst said:

One might quibble with selling 50k DVDs as probably not being a big deal these days.

But they sold the 50k copies in about 5 minutes.  That would definitely get the attention of a network/Streaming Exec.

Presuming the very likely possibly that this show gets picked up for season 3, the man dying from a heart attack is going to haunt Debra and Jimmy.  I wonder if they included that part in the special?  Did Debra or anyone else ask for an update after the show?  Maybe they didn't think they needed to since Jimmy said he was fine?

While Debra did the right things in stopping the show and waiting until she got a status update on his condition, once this becomes public she's going to carry the burden of public opinion (even though she thought he was okay).  I wonder if she will be so loyal to Jimmy then?

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
42 minutes ago, zenithwit said:

Presuming the very likely possibly that this show gets picked up for season 3, the man dying from a heart attack is going to haunt Debra and Jimmy. 

That's a fairly likely plotline for s3, I bet, but realistically they could just say "that guy [meaning Jimmy] said he was fine". Jimmy's not famous; no one would have any reason to know Deborah's manager was the guy who went out to check on the heart attack guy.

• Love 3
On 6/2/2022 at 8:24 PM, Kiddvideo said:

Totally perfect!

But if it did come back, a title change would be in order.  Deb is at the top of her mountain and Ava is off to a brilliant career.  In short, both Deb and Ava are no longer Hacks!

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3

I was sure this was written as the series end.  It nicely wrapped up everyone.  Really enjoyed it, especially because I didn’t like how mean Deb was to Ava at the start of the season.  I wouldn’t mind if it finished here,  it I’d also be happy if it came back for a bit more.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Love 2
On 6/4/2022 at 7:07 PM, zenithwit said:

I wonder if they included that part in the special? 

I can't imagine a guy collapsing and being taken off by the paramedics was included in the special.  My guess is watching the special, you'd have no idea it even happened.   

I really enjoyed the episode and the season.  Ava and Deborah have such great chemistry together, that I don't really believe they won't ever get back together for future projects.  I hope this isn't it for the series, but would be entirely satisfied if it was. 

• Love 11
(edited)

I loved this as a season finale. Loved it so much. I truly hope it's not a series finale -- I think there are places to go that will continue to challenge both Deb and Ava AND show them that they can still be found family to each other while thriving. But if it is a series finale? Just lovely.

I am just so grateful for this show, showing us characters we do not normally get to see front and center on TV, from complex, chilly, openly bisexual Ava, to ballbusting Deb (a beautiful, complex, equally sexual woman at 69 years of age). And then allowing us to see their growth and humanity and capacity for love.

I was so moved by so many moments here, but -- aside from the final 5 minutes, which I also loved, and which I'll get to in a moment -- I loved the callbacks throughout the episode to the rest of this season, especially Ava getting another job offer, but this time going to Deb about it first. And then Ava flying all the way back (and sacrificing the final few days of  the work) to be there to support Deb for her show, and in a moment of incredible vulnerability for Deb, just as Deb did for Ava in last season's finale under different circumstances. (On a side note, I loved the dressing room scene there, because Deb looks so alone, and then there's Ava, there not to lie to her or compliment her like a showbiz hack, but just to be there for her.)

Meanwhile, I love Marty and Deb together, am always thrilled to see Christopher McDonald back, and I thought this was one more example of how interesting their relationship is. Jean Smart and McDonald are so good in their scenes together -- they have incredible chemistry, they're both fantastic with the sharp and witty dialogue for these two cynical, guarded characters, but... their eyes are so soft with each other. They still care about each other.

(Yeah, I ship it. Shoot me.)

And for all his vaunted toughness last season, the fact is, Marty is not as tough as Deb is. He's kind of visibly avoided going for the jugular with her (while Deb hasn't). Sure, he's made some tough and even harsh business decisions, but we've seen him pull the punches when Deb didn't. Even when they had the one-nighter last season, you could see his regret at hurting her. I truly think he cares about Deb.

But Deb can't see that. So she's the one constantly going scorched-earth, like spending $800k on a Kandinsky she doesn't even like -- in order to bribe Marty to give her the venue for her show -- only for Marty to admit he would have given it to her outright if she needed it (and I believed him). It was interesting to learn from Marcus that not only are Marty and Deb a constant on-again off-again thing, but that he once proposed to her (although Deb tries to brush it off, Marcus rightly pointed out that the diamond was real and so was the proposal).

And then we see Deb make the 25,000 ageist jokes against Marty's age-appropriate new bride (who is her age or maybe slightly younger?) because her appropriateness means she is a real threat to Deb for the first time. Not just another young bimbo but a real partner for Marty. Which means Deb is too late to do anything about it...? Or maybe not? I honestly think they're soulmates.

It was nice to see Marcus helping Ava house-hunt. I've really enjoyed seeing Marcus go from vague hostility last season, to realizing Ava does love and care about Deb this season -- and to seeing Marcus and Ava become friends for their own sake, in their own wary, prickly way. Marcus gently advising Ava to get the wonderful rental that was 10 minutes farther away from Deb was wonderful because he is recognizing that Ava could become him, and get swallowed up by Deb's world. 

I still hate Kayla leaving with Jimmy. I would be more okay with this storyline if we got ANY sense that she was a functional human being who might actually learn from this job and world, but instead she continued to be creepy and touch him inappropriately, and -- ugh. Nope. Still not a fan.

Loved Ava getting the job offer (and I liked that the show had me feeling like it was deserved) -- and her asking Deb before making a move on it -- again, so much growth from last season. Loved Deb asking why Ava was standing so far away. "To be out of... slapping distance?" asks Ava. And best of all -- Deb lets Ava take it, and Ava's GREAT at it. I was really happy to see a professional, capable Ava then.

The final scene between Deb and Ava! Oh, man. I am still not okay. It was so devastating because it -- in a total contrast to other similar moments, as in last season -- wasn't Deb being cruel. She was being quiet, and kind, and tender. In every molecule of that scene, you could see that Deb believes that setting Ava free is the best gift she can give her. And Ava's disbelief and grief, her very understandable sense of betrayal, didn't cause Ava to lash out the way she often has, and it also didn't cause Deb to do so either. It was just a sad, vulnerable scene where we saw Deb break Ava's heart because she believed Ava needed her to do that.

The writing on this episode was so strong, and this scene is yet another example. It shows us indirectly and directly how much these people have grown. Deb is setting Ava free because she sees how much she costs those around her, how she tends to take them over and leave them room for no one but her. And we saw her realize that onstage, in her routine(!), in the moment, in a raw, naked moment that was funny but also so real and painful. Deb's work with Ava the past two seasons has led to this -- Deb doing a show she never imagined, telling truths she never imagined, being funny and real and raw -- and learning things about herself she had never allowed herself. We even see Deb give a grudging sort of grace for the first time to her husband and sister over their affair. Jean Smart is a fucking goddess in this entire episode, but most especially here.

And then we see Deb giving Ava the credit she hadn't even asked for. Watching proudly as Ava is sought after by the other network execs at the party. And coming to that loving realization for that last scene, to set Ava free the way she couldn't set free her husband, her daughter, her sister.

For me, Deb's final talk with Ava directly echoed the earlier scene this season when Deb taught Ava how to float... and after those few moments of trust and vulnerability between them (almost a baptism of found family), she then left her floating, not in a mean way, but knowing Ava would be okay. In a "you got this," way. And Ava was okay. As she would be here after the firing. Deb knew that she had taught Ava enough that she could survive now. She could float.

But oh, man. The revelation that Ava was in her new L.A. home... working, apparently happy... and watching Deb on TV, just to have her nearby? Tears. And when "Goodbye, Stranger" started up as the credits rolled, I full-on, enjoyably, ugly-cried. (Again! The music for this show has been a home run every time for me.)

I can't think this is over -- I want another season, and I would love to see the two women navigate the realizations that they CAN be in each other's lives, be found family, and still have healthy separation. But if we don't, this was a wonderful sendoff, and I know the two women will always love and care for each other.

On 6/2/2022 at 12:28 PM, aghst said:

I'm a PR person and freelance writer, so I was a LITTLE disappointed at how much they fast-tracked the show development angle. There should/would have been a HUGE social media and PR component (most of all because Deb was self-funding) -- a PR campaign, press interviews, Deb making the rounds on talk shows, etc. I think this would have improved the story here even in a montage and made it not seem quite so starry-eyed.

Honestly, in terms of the DVD sales, given the Kandinsky sale, I was totally waiting to discover that Deb had orchestrated the purchase of many of those DVDs herself (although granted, marking a $20 video down to $3.99, I can buy that her loyal QVC followers snapped them up just out of loyalty).

On 6/2/2022 at 12:32 PM, qtpye said:

I am not ready to leave these two women, yet.

Me neither. I guess Season 3 isn't a given yet? Fingers crossed so much!

On 6/2/2022 at 2:28 PM, QQQQ said:

Jean Smart looked especially beautiful in the last party scene.

I've always loved Jean Smart, but this show basically made me a worshipper. She made Deb such a tender yet terrifying, funny, complex woman, and honestly she has never been more beautiful to me than here in this show, at pushing 70. And the best part for me is, while she often looked gorgeous, there were plenty of scenes, including here, where Deb looked every single one of her 69 years. The show never tried to hide her age. It just showed her how little her age mattered, and that she could still grow as an artist and person, be sexually attractive, find new success.

On 6/2/2022 at 2:45 PM, Irlandesa said:

I would bet Jimmy likely sent the completed special to various networks, even those who passed up on it.  They see that, see how well it sold and I do think they'd try to get the rights.  Most probably think the QVC audience might not be the same as their audience, especially if it's streaming.

In today's world, he would have had the special messengered over to them the moment the sales hit 50k, after a press release announcing what a success it was.

On a minor note, I do think we would have also seen Deb using social media to make a splash, PR, and selling it on her own website (and making it a part of her brand). Even working with Marty on some promotion, etc.

On 6/2/2022 at 3:55 PM, Darian said:

Failing a third season, and this shocks me to my core, I'd watch a spin-off of Jimmy and Kayla and their business. First season and most of this, the last thing I thought I'd want is more Kayla.  

A spinoff about Kayla? Oh, pleased, by all that is holy, and by our dear and fluffy Lord... no. Just no.

On 6/2/2022 at 8:30 PM, arc said:

The little conversation between DJ and Deborah was really sweet. Nice button on it too: "Oh, [it turning your wrist black is] really good for you. That's the iron."

It was so bittersweet! It's a little heartbreaking how DJ is just a little dim (but also very funny). I loved the revelation that Deb had worn her daughter's terrible jewelry on-camera as a tribute... and cracked up at her admission that it had turned her wrist black (and IN ONE EVENING! LOL!). Then DJ's comment on how good the iron was for you was the icing on the cake.

On 6/3/2022 at 8:37 AM, Valerie said:

I binged both seasons in a week (I have loved Jean Smart since she was on 24) and wow, this finale was great. I really felt that Ava was crying because Deborah was leaving her, not just because she was losing her job. I really grew to love their friendship, rough spots and all.

I got the vibe that Deb dropped the lawsuit so she wouldn't have to see Ava again, maybe for her own protection or for Ava's or for both. She genuinely believes Ava is better off without her.

Oh, that killed me so much! I did NOT see that coming -- that Ava would be devastated when Deb dropped the lawsuit, because she lost her chance to see Deb one more time. (sniffle)

On 6/4/2022 at 4:07 PM, zenithwit said:

Presuming the very likely possibly that this show gets picked up for season 3, the man dying from a heart attack is going to haunt Debra and Jimmy.  I wonder if they included that part in the special?  Did Debra or anyone else ask for an update after the show?  Maybe they didn't think they needed to since Jimmy said he was fine?

I don't think the guy who died will haunt Deb literally. I felt it was more to underline the stakes of Deb's special (literal death and comedy) while also adding an unexpected and stressful moment that could have tanked the whole evening (which would have been a disaster to try to re-tape -- the whole thing was basically a one-shot.

On 6/4/2022 at 9:26 PM, sugarbaker design said:

But if it did come back, a title change would be in order.  Deb is at the top of her mountain and Ava is off to a brilliant career.  In short, both Deb and Ava are no longer Hacks!

I think you could argue that they both still feel like "hacks," like women for hire out of a line of other potentials. And that they fear going back to that.

(But honestly I've always hated this show's title and never felt like it fit, so there's that.)

On 6/5/2022 at 3:05 PM, txhorns79 said:

Ava and Deborah have such great chemistry together, that I don't really believe they won't ever get back together for future projects.  I hope this isn't it for the series, but would be entirely satisfied if it was. 

If the show doesn't go on from here, I am POSITIVE that what happens is, Deb's special is a HUGE hit, and within the year, a network offers her some kind of limited series based on her show and life. So Deb accepts it -- and goes to Ava to come on board and help her develop it. And then the two of them have to relearn how to work together while maintaining boundaries (and realizing they can totally do so). I want these women to realize that they CAN work together, that there is solidarity in found family, and that if they set boundaries, they can enrich each other's work and lives.

But then I'm a sucker for happy endings.

Edited by paramitch
missing words make me sad
  • Like 1
  • Applause 3
  • Love 9

If we get a season three, I wouldn't be surprised if there's a time jump, and Ava's a show runner offering Deb a job that she doesn't need but kinda wants. That's. flip of the dynamic. The only thing that wouldn't be as fun is that Deb as Queen of the Universe is a very funny thing to watch. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, whiporee said:

If we get a season three, I wouldn't be surprised if there's a time jump, and Ava's a show runner offering Deb a job that she doesn't need but kinda wants. That's. flip of the dynamic. The only thing that wouldn't be as fun is that Deb as Queen of the Universe is a very funny thing to watch. 

Even if that were to happen, Deb would have more clout.  Presumably the networks would side with a star who draws in viewers than a first-time show runner or one with limited experience.

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, paramitch said:

A spinoff about Kayla? Oh, pleased, by all that is holy, and by our dear and fluffy Lord... no. Just no.

Well. you quoted me but I actually said a show about Jimmy (ostensibly the main character) and Kayla and their new venture. And I said I'd watch it. I don't expect there would be such a show, but if so, you wouldn't have to watch it and those, like me, if there are others, could. Easy peasy. 

• Like 1
  • Love 2
1 minute ago, Darian said:

Well. you quoted me but I actually said a show about Jimmy (ostensibly the main character) and Kayla and their new venture. And I said I'd watch it. I don't expect there would be such a show, but if so, you wouldn't have to watch it and those, like me, if there are others, could. Easy peasy. 

Right, a spinoff about Jimmy and Kayla. Sorry, I thought that was implied.

And no worries, while the thought of that show ever actually existing horrifies me, you certainly deserve the opportunity to express that you would enjoy that show. I hope I wasn't implying otherwise. YMMV and all that. 😅

• Like 1
  • Love 2

I loved this show, and do hope if they have another season it can maintain this level of quality.  Only when "Good-bye Stranger" started did I realize it was the final episode for the season.  I thought it was the end of the series, until I read otherwise.

As for Deborah's clothes and makeup at the end, I thought it was too much of a change.  Was it supposed to signal to us a kinder, gentler Deborah?  I felt that she seemed to be going for glamorous 50s movie star.

A Jimmy and Kayla show?  Would not watch!!  Kayla is a caricature totally lacking in subtlety. 

• Applause 1
  • Love 3
(edited)
On 6/5/2022 at 6:05 PM, txhorns79 said:

I can't imagine a guy collapsing and being taken off by the paramedics was included in the special. 

What was the point of the dead audience guy anyway as a plot point in this episode? That puzzled me a bit, but I surmised maybe it was to show that sweet and loyal Jimmy was indeed still enough of a shark to do his job well and fib about the guy's condition for the sake of the show?

Edited by ahpny
  • Like 2
  • Love 3
(edited)
On 6/15/2022 at 10:37 PM, MBayGal said:

I loved this show, and do hope if they have another season it can maintain this level of quality.

It's a very well written, well acted show. A rare event these days.
I would certainly watch a third season - but I do wonder how the writers can put Deborah and Ava in a situation where they are forced to cooperate for the sake of  their individual careers (without undoing the progress they have made thus far). 
I'm hoping they can.

Edited by shrewd.buddha
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, shrewd.buddha said:

I do wonder how the writers can put Deborah and Ava in a situation where they are forced to cooperate for the sake of  their individual careers

I’d be happy watching them as friends/mentors even if they never explicitly collaborate. Deb knows The Business but Ava knows The Town (Hollywood).

• Like 1
  • Love 2
On 6/24/2022 at 8:41 AM, ahpny said:

What was the point of the dead audience guy anyway as a plot point in this episode? That puzzled me a bit, but I surmised maybe it was to show that sweet and loyal Jimmy was indeed still enough of a shark to do his job well and fib about the guy's condition for the sake of the show?

I think that's it. Deb had been approached by Jimmy's rival agent, and Deb may have been seriously considering her offer - but then Jimmy showed just how valuable he is, and Deb sided with him.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
On 6/24/2022 at 5:41 AM, ahpny said:

He serves multiple purposes from a writing standpoint -- he demonstrates the "life or death" stakes of the event for Deb and this event, he also provides an opportunity for her team to spring to her defense and minimize the situation so she can still triumph.

And the fact that he dies -- but she thinks he lives -- is another layer. 

• Like 1

I have actually been at a show where someone had a heart attack in the middle (and it was a solo theater show).

Paramedics arrived, and the actor left the stage. When the man was taken out, she came back on, closed her eyes, took a breath and went on with it...which I found amazing. (This was the late Colleen Dewhurst).

Another time, I was at the taping of a comedy special, and one of the comics had made it most of the way through her set, when they stopped the show and told her the sound wasn't working right, and she had to start again! (This was Marga Gomez). And she DID.

Jimmy proved his worth when he brought the mood back (by lying about what happened). And of course, they would edit the interruption out.

Suzie Essman (the director) was a standup I used to see years ago in NYC. I'm so glad this show brought back so many amazing women of a certain age in great parts!

• Like 1
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, Avabelle said:

Is the show coming back? I can’t really see where it could go from where it ended but it felt unfinished between Ava and Deborah.

The show runners were at the Emmies.  They didn't win any writing awards but Jeanne Smart won lead actress in Comedy.

The show runners said that season 3 will pick up a year after the end of season 2.  So they've had some time apart from each other and presumably season 3 will have them find a way back to working with each other again.

• Love 2