Type keyword(s) to search

S19: Speculation!

• Start Topic

Ugh...double ugh. I did hear the rumor that the Bachelorette would compete against her fiance but was hoping that was a lie. For crying out loud, no one wants to see pissy face Andi and her too waxed, blinding white teeth fiance. Or hell I don't. 

eta: Well I bit the bullet and checked out their twitter accounts to see if there was any hint and I got nothing from Andi but Josh tweeted only two hours ago about getting back home from some conference so I'm thinking it can't be him with Emma. Thank goodness. So yeah hopefully it's some Atlanta Falcons player.

• Love 1

me too radishcake!

I don't think andi could be on, even if josh is, because don't we have the complete female side spoiled? I don't know much about either of them, but I admit to being slightly curious about josh, since I'm a big SEC fan and familiar with his brother from watching him play at UGA

• Love 1
Emma flew to Atlanta and a picture was posted of her in a car with her partner (face hidden of course). The only rumored name I know is from Atlanta is Josh Murray from the Bachelorette. Hoping it's someone else, though - an athlete maybe?

Josh is an athlete - he was a promising baseball player until he left the sport to find love [/sarcasm]

• Love 1

Josh is an athlete - he was a promising baseball player until he left the sport to find love [/sarcasm]

My bad, how could I forget! He only mentioned it 489023 times.

Some think Emma could have Randy Couture. He's worked with the Atlanta Falcons in the past but I don't know if he currently has ties there.

As soon as Lolo's name was rumored I thought "Hope Solo 2.0" She's the wost combination of natural talent, insecure, ignorant, narcissistic and with a tendency to head case to top it off. Do not want. At least Maks won't be around to make it a match made in hell.

Lea Thompson does seem like an old school Derek partner. If the Shania rumor is just that I can see Derek paired with Lea - non threatening " relatable" older woman or with the PLL actress - actress from a current tweenish show with an active fandom. Both types have proven succesful for him before.

Edited by tearbender
  • Love 2

I would love for Derek to get Lolo Jones.  I think she's gonna be super-high maintenance with a lot of sobbing and angst and it would be fun to watch Derek deal with that.  I haven't seen Derek have a meltdown since Jennifer Grey couldn't get the steps right and needed to take a break and then she walked out on him.  Plus I hope I get to hear lots and lots about Lolo's virginity and how the haters can't get her down cause she's got SPIRIT and SASS and JESUS on her side!

I mean, if they are gonna cast a lot of reality stars and head cases, we might as well get in the dirt with the rest of the reality shows. Who cares about dancing when you can have FIGHTS and CRYING and BACKSTABBING!!

Several seasons ago, I was making fun of the caliber of celebrities and saying that at some point we'd be seeing Youtube stars on the show. At the rate this show is going, we're probably going to have Vine "celebrities" at some point too. Keep chasing that youth demo, DWTS. 

• Love 3

Youtube stars, huh? I, like most people, have never heard of this Bethany person so I decided to check her out; she sits in front of her webcam and talks about hair, clothes and boys. My friends and I did that in high school, I had no idea we were celebrities, we thought we were just bored.

You would think after last season when Cody came in with 6 million twitter followers and left in week 5 that they would understand a mass social media following doesn't equal support and/or viewers.

• Love 5

Particularly on a show where the majority of viewers are over 40.  They can cast all the YouTube and Vine stars they want - DWTS ain't even gonna be popular with the under 25 crowd.

I'm not really sure why they would care about those viewers anyhow.  Back in the day, DWTS was on top of the heap in ratings.  I get that advertisers want the 18-25 demo but what they really want is to have ads on a show with a shitload of viewers.  And not just that, old folks are about the only ones who watch the show live.  Most young people will watch clips on YouTube or the show on Hulu and just vote for their favorite Disney star online, whether or not they actually watch the show.

It's crazy how much they are trying to alienate their loyal following. I'm pretty sure that unless they are making some major STAR announcement, I'm not watching this season. But I do appreciate them freeing up my Monday nights.

• Love 3

Wow, not liking any of these "celebrities" so I might be tuning out.

Antonio Sabato Jr is the only person I might root for, but he's not enough to make me want to watch this season.

Not happy that Julianne is a judge.

Hate it when the bachelorette/bachelor are contestants.

NO to any Duck Dynasty people.

A youtube sensation?  Who cares.....

• Love 6

...Most young people will watch clips on YouTube or the show on Hulu and just vote for their favorite Disney star online, whether or not they actually watch the show.

...and then clutter up twitter and instagram with their "votes"

• Love 1
Why the Lolo hate? I'm not on twitter, so haven't seen that, which a few people have mentioned. Overall I've always liked what I've seen of her.

She is a harsh personality, and she is very aware that she is beautiful. It's hard to explain, but she insults her fans when they post pictures sometimes, and she is really good at saying the wrong thing at the wrong time. It comes off entitled, ditzy, and super shallow. These are just opinions, of course! It's still possible to make her likable on TV, but I'm over her.

I would love for Derek to get Lolo Jones.  I think she's gonna be super-high maintenance with a lot of sobbing and angst and it would be fun to watch Derek deal with that.  I haven't seen Derek have a meltdown since Jennifer Grey couldn't get the steps right and needed to take a break and then she walked out on him. 

I think Derek's really Zenned out since then - Amy cried and walked out of rehearsals an awful lot and he seemed to handle it by pretty much let her get it out of her system, or giving her hugs and performing stupid cheesy "comedy" skits to distract her. He also handled NeNe pretty well. I can remember finding him kind of arrogant and twirpy in early seasons, and I have to say, he's still cheesy but it's a more Tony Robbins kind of cheesy. I mainlined through a ton of DWTS videos on YouTube last spring when I was procrastinating on my thesis and was kind of impressed with his growth. I don't doubt that some of it's media training, but there seems to be a lot of genuine sentiment behind it. 

That said, it might be interesting to see how he does with someone more "unlikeable." I mean, maybe I've been fooled and he could crack. I'd be more interested though in seeing what he could do with someone who's completely uncoordinated, not an athlete or a performer. I don't know anything about the YouTube girl, but if she's that, that match could be interesting. 

I don't know, I've never viewed Derek as an angry Pro or somebody prone to raging fits with his celebrity but he can be pretty passive aggressive and as "zen" as he may be he still had moments with Amber, his last celebrity before Amy. And there was the hilarious sequence with Kellie Pickler when in her adorable southern accent she'd tell him how he wasn't her favorite person right now when he annoyed her. I don't think Amy is a good measure of his temperament because deliberately or not I do think Derek treated Amy very delicately. Yes he pushed her with the choreography and encouraged her but I don't think he would have ever snapped at her when she was having her emotional moments. 

I think it was during the Kellie season though, that I felt like I noticed him chilling out - and it seemed to be because she called him on it. I didn't notice that many moments with Amber - but I may be mis-remembering. (Or he could have gotten a favorable edit, who knows.) He seems to get the most annoyed when celebrities can't keep up with his nonstop pace, which is why I'm thinking an unathletic YouTube star might be more of a test for his patience than a track and field star. 

Also - given that Lolo is tall, I think she's out as a Derek partner. I'm going to speculate she goes to the new guy, Keo.

He seems to get the most annoyed when celebrities can't keep up with his nonstop pace, which is why I'm thinking an unathletic YouTube star might be more of a test for his patience than a track and field star.

Agreed actually and that's why I said his issue is more that he can be passive aggressive at times. Don't get me wrong, I don't think he ever gets ragey or even really mean with his celebrities but he can get a little impatient at times and then he gets passive aggressive in his impatience. But for the most part I will give you that I don't remember Derek ever having a really horribly uncomfortable season with his celebrity as we've seen with other Pro/celebrity pairings throughout the seasons.

Just saw on tumblr that Peta is paired up with Tommy Chong. There was no link or anything so I'm not sure if that's verified. If true, I guess Peta's finally getting her turn with an old guy. They give every female Pro one at least once.

I'd rather see someone from DD than another Housewife harpy or Kartrashian parade any day of the week.

Yes, homophobic hillbillies are a much better choice.

Edited by avecsans
  • Love 7
Just saw on tumblr that Peta is paired up with Tommy Chong. There was no link or anything so I'm not sure if that's verified. If true, I guess Peta's finally getting her turn with an old guy.

If it's true, I hope dancing with an old guy will make her dial it down a bit.

Eh, I don't think it's such a sure thing. 

Sure he has some dancing in his background, like Lea Thompson if she's on, but he's a lot older now, he's bigger now than when he was younger and I'm not sure he has such a fanbase that would be a force to be reckoned with. I don't think this will be a case of Donny Osmond for example who was still performing every night on stage when he did the show and the Osmond fans were rabid.

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 1

Rumored pairings so far...putting in spoiler tags just in case:

Val and Janel Parrish
Karina and Randy Couture
Keo and Lolo Jones
Cheryl and Antonio Sabato, Jr.
Tony and Betsey Johnson
Witney and Alfonso Ribeiro
Derek and Bethany Mota
Emma and Michael Waltrip
Mark and Sadie Robertson
Allison and Jonathan Bennett
Peta and Tommy Chong

Artem and Lea Thompson if she ends up being confirmed. Not much word about Sharna's partner yet.

The sources are usually pretty good so we'll see

It will be interesting to see how Alfonso does. I agree he doesnt likely have a big fanbase. However I thought last year Charlie would be a strong enough dancer with a big fanbase to make it the finals and that wasnt the case.  Then you have the ones like JR Martinez I never even heard of and he ended up being amazing and went on to win.  If you look at some recent Alfonso stuff on YouTube it appears he still has some good moves.

Question for the moderator:  Since this is the "Speculation" page and since we're discussing rumors, is it necessary to use the spoiler tag?

Anyway, regarding Alfonso, at first I thought 1 little freeform "Carlton Dance" from nearly 20 years ago wouldn't give him much of an edge over the competition. Yes, it's fun and funny and popular but it's not like any trained, choreographed dance. But then I looked at his wiki page and Yikes! He was one of Michael Jackson's Pepsi commercial dancers!  MJ wouldn't have had some no-talent as a backup dancer. Alfonso is only 42 and looks to be in reasonably good shape. He might very well be a contender.

Edited by Uke

Question for the moderator:  Since this is the "Speculation" page and since we're discussing rumors, is it necessary to use the spoiler tag?

Since we don't have a spoiler tag on the topic itself yes please use spoiler tags.

He could have a pretty big fan base, as well. There's the nostalgia factor, but The Fresh Prince of Bel Air is still in reruns and is still pretty popular.

Oh, I didn't know it's still in reruns. That could certainly benefit him.

Ok. Thanks Radishcake!

Thoughts on spoiler-ed pairs: 

I think Alfonso's got a lot of fanpower - he did a surprise appearance on Graham Norton with Will & DJ Jazzy Jeff last year that's clocked in 25 million views on Youtube. Granted that's for all of them together, but Fresh Prince hits the nostalgia thing hard for a lot of people. 

Also he seems like a really good sport - I think he'll be fun to watch. 

For other pairs - my first impressions are that Val & Janelle and Allison & Aaron Samuels could be fun, I'm liking the Peta & Tommy Chong pairing (she was due for a change of pace, after getting pretty much identical partner types 2 seasons in a row.) 

• Love 1

I will say this about the rumored cast, I don't think there is any clear favorite and that makes me excited for the season premiere to see who turns out to be a surprise, who flat out sucks, etc. Like last season we all knew Meryl and Charlie, especially Meryl was going to be amazing. I don't see that with any of the people listed even with the people who have had dancing in their background.

• Love 1

I have nothing against youtube stars if they actually have some talent or intelligence (as a lot of them do) but my only knowledge of Bethanny Mota is those commercials so needless to say I find her annoying. I think she was also a guest judge on this season of Project Runway. 

Does anyone else remember when Antonio Sabato Jr had a dating show? Good times. Actually, terrible, boring times. I wonder if they'll bring up his preoccupation with feet. Or was it hands? 

Alfonso is the only one I like. Remember when he hosted that singing competition when people pretended to be celebrities? Good times. Cheesy times. But good times. I haven't followed his career of hosting weird spelling bees and whatnot but so far he's the only reason to watch this season.

I actually like the ringers. I don't keep up with DWTS because eventually I get bored but two of the seasons I liked were Nicole Scherzinger's and Jennifer Grey's seasons. I only have so much goodwill in me. Sometimes I just want to see people dance well.

• Love 1

Bethany Mota got youtube famous because people find her positive and adorable. She really made a different in people's lives. I like a lot of the projects she has done. I don't know much about her but she's not very old. She hit Youtube when she was a young teen and she's only 18 or 19 now. 

I get questioning her fame but the people who got famous on youtube a few years ago, most of them had real appeal. There is a lot try hard ones now though. 

I do think if they are going to have to have "stars" who aren't truly famous, I can see why they wanted to bring Allison on and even Julianne back as judge. 

There's some speculation that Sharna's partner may be 

Nash Overstreet. He is in the band Hot Chelle Rae (his brother is also Chord Overstreet who stars on Glee) who I'm not too sure but might have performed on DWTS once. The most convincing piece of evidence is a tweet he made of him photographed with a mirror ball and hisstatement that the reason for it would be revealed in a few days.

Edited by truthaboutluv

There's some speculation that Sharna's partner may be 

Nash Overstreet. He is in the band Hot Chelle Rae (his brother is also Chord Overstreet who stars on Glee) who I'm not too sure but might have performed on DWTS once. The most convincing piece of evidence is a tweet he made of him photographed with a mirror ball and hisstatement that the reason for it would be revealed in a few days.

According to PureDWTS it's not him, John Stamos or Rob Lowe.

I am not interested in the stoner Tommy Chong, or some YouTube girl I've never heard of.   This rumored cast list has a couple of interesting names and some I know nothing about.

The Robertson girl should be a breathe of fresh air.  I need to go read up on Lolo.  She sounds like she may be good too.

• Love 1

With the addition of another Hough this upcoming season and the disappearance of my eye candy Maks, I vowed the only way I would continue watching this show if I was going to hear "Now dancing the Samba, Jesus of Nazareth and his partner, Cheryl Burke". But now, after so many years of hoping Carlton will appear on the show and it never happening, here's the rumor for this season! Noooooo! I don't want to watch. I was fully prepared to not even give a zippedy doo dah and then I see Carlton's name being bandied about. I shake my fist at the dancing gods. 

• Love 6

So far not jumping for joy at the rumoured contestants.  With Julienne at the judge's table, my interest was already waning.  Unless they get me some decent celebs, some interesting ones, this may be one season that I'll find it easy to sit out.

I didn't plan on watching once I saw that Julianne was going to be judging (even though Artem is dancing) but I thought I'd wait to decide after I see who the celebrities are. Lea Thompson is really the only one rumored I'd like to watch, and according to the list I saw, she's with Artem. Looks like I may be watching and FF through the judges comments again. This is all for entertainment purposes only, what with all the predetermined placing and manipulations they pull.