Type keyword(s) to search

S19: Speculation!

• Start Topic

Nothing against Bethany, but a 'what's in my purse' video got over 3m views? WTF?

Anyway, just look at this guy, he's adorable (the cat's cute too). Plus Steve's in a band and actually is creative with his videos. He would've been a more interesting cast member IMHO. Take a hint DWTS.

• Love 1

This is a really uninspiring cast of "stars".  Coupled with the new judge, JHough, I think I'm done with this show.

I'll be watching The Voice with its new judges, Gwen Stefani and Pharrell.  Or better yet, I'll watch the combo of Gotham and Sleepy Hollow.  All airing on Monday night.

• Love 2

Nothing against Bethany, but a 'what's in my purse' video got over 3m views? WTF?

Anyway, just look at this guy, he's adorable (the cat's cute too). Plus Steve's in a band and actually is creative with his videos. He would've been a more interesting cast member IMHO. Take a hint DWTS.

If they are gonna start classifying internet folks as stars, then they need to check out some of the Vine people. There are some really hilarious people on Vine. Much more entertaining than "what's in my purse" videos or "here's how to create a messy up-do". And yes, I would like to see what Mark or Derek could do with a cat on the dance floor. Let's take those challenges to the next level, people! I see your one-legged athlete and I raise you a Talking Cat! Now let's see how really creative and talented you are, Derek!

• Love 1

Or lord. it might have started off fun, but I think Buckley would have been intolerable after a while.

Maybe. Depends on the pro. I think Sharna or Cheryl wouldn't put up with the crap. I actually was wondering if he was on the show's radar because he's interviewed couples in the past. And then deleted them when the couple was eliminated.

Personally, I would've chosen Michael Buckley.

Or lord. it might have started off fun, but I think Buckley would have been intolerable after a while.

I love Buck. I've been following him for years. But I get the sense that outside of his show, he might be a little grating and that would be the side that would get captured by the cameras on DWTS. I used to watch the old blogtv shows and Ask Buck and he's great doing that. But watching some of his vlogs and especially collabs and interviews, I think it wouldn't work with him as a personality. But I'd like to see him dance. 

Bethany is on the cover of Seventeen this month though, so she's definitely starting to cross over into a more mainstream celeb.  So I don't necessarily have a problem with her presence.  I probably will have a problem if she stinks and we can't get rid of her because of her legions of internet fans though.

The rumors are that Randy Couture is actually very good and will likely be a surprise this season.  Plus he's super nice and he and Karina are having a great time.

I also take back what I said previously about Val not doing a showmance this season.  He and Janel are already being way OTT, which is a shame considering she looks to be a pretty skilled dancer.  They are all over each other in pap pics and overly flirty in an extremely showy manner, which considering as of a week ago she still had a serious boyfriend, I'm assuming is mostly for show.  I really thought Val had learned his lesson there.  Which sucks because I really want to support him, but I hate this showmance stuff.   Plus somebody should really inform him that showmances rarely win.  It worked for Maks, but that was different to me in that I think it worked because of Meryl.  Janel is very outgoing and in your face, so it's not going to work the same way.

Edited by spanana

No obvious ringers.

Few if any stars.

I'm rooting for Mean Girls' Aaron Samuels and Pretty Little Liars' Mona Vanderwaal, and guessing that the Duck Dynasty girl will go far from the Christian base.

Even for YT, that girl does seem kinda random; her top video has fewer than 9 million views. The already-mentioned Jenna Marbles has 7 with 20 mil (maxing at 50+), and over 50 with 10 mil.

Edited by jjjmoss

I don't care at all that there aren't a lot of big names - I almost never end up rooting for the person I expect to at the beginning of the season.  Some of my favorite contestants have been people I really didn't know before DWTS - Kyle Massey, Bill Envall, Meryl Davis (I don't watch ice skating so didn't know her before the show) to name a few.  So I'll give it a couple of weeks and I bet I'll like quite a few of the contestants even though I don't know anything about most of them now.

• Love 1

No obvious ringers.

Two former professional dancers (Lea and Alfonso) don't count as ringers?

Sure, neither was ballroom, but ballet for Lea, and general Broadway & Tap combo (and some Hip-Hop) for Alfonso are pretty big dance resumes.

Maybe they're so old that I'd never heard of them, and they're not famous for their performing arts skillz?

I won't deny they're old (on a show that features a lot of teenagers and twenty-somethings who do well). Lea is 53. Alfonso is 42. Lea was apparently only a professional ballet dancer for about six years, but that's pretty intense training. Alfonso wouldn't have ever become famous at ALL if he wasn't a dancer--he appeared on Broadway as a dancer, and only switched to straight up acting later on. He was even a backup dancer for Michael Jackson.

"Old" doesn't mean they don't retain many of the advantages of years of learning the discipline involved with dance. Their age counts against their endurance ability, sure, but the discipline is the harder thing to learn, I think.

• Love 1

Maybe they're so old that I'd never heard of them, and they're not famous for their performing arts skillz?

Have you every watched Fresh Prince of Bel Air or seen the movie Back To The Future?  I dont know how old you are but even my 16 year old has seen those, in fact she loves Fresh Prince from watching the constant reruns that are on.

I don't care at all that there aren't a lot of big names - I almost never end up rooting for the person I expect to at the beginning of the season.  Some of my favorite contestants have been people I really didn't know before DWTS - Kyle Massey, Bill Envall, Meryl Davis (I don't watch ice skating so didn't know her before the show) to name a few.  So I'll give it a couple of weeks and I bet I'll like quite a few of the contestants even though I don't know anything about most of them now.

I couldnt agree more! Some of my very favorites over the years were the ones I never even heard of before DWTS. 

The "stars" are so C- and D-list American and I do not follow sports and I'm old and I didn't own a tv between 1970 and 1988, so it's very rare that I know who more than 2 of them are. Some of the most enjoyable people for me have been people I'd never heard of before - Zendaya, Ty Murray, Gilles Marini, Mario Lopez, Emitt Smith, Apolo Ohno, Mel B, Kyle Massey, JR Martinez.  (You see one person's big name is quite often an other person's who?)  I'm quite often disappointed by the people I know and have specific guessy expectations of.

I also take back what I said previously about Val not doing a showmance this season.  He and Janel are already being way OTT, which is a shame considering she looks to be a pretty skilled dancer.  They are all over each other in pap pics and overly flirty in an extremely showy manner, which considering as of a week ago she still had a serious boyfriend, I'm assuming is mostly for show.  I really thought Val had learned his lesson there.  Which sucks because I really want to support him, but I hate this showmance stuff.   Plus somebody should really inform him that showmances rarely win.  It worked for Maks, but that was different to me in that I think it worked because of Meryl.  Janel is very outgoing and in your face, so it's not going to work the same way.

Val probably figured if it worked for his brother, it might work for him.  So, he's going all the way with the showmance.  He's determined this season.  He wants to win.

Edited by superdeluxe

The "stars" are so C- and D-list American and I do not follow sports and I'm old and I didn't own a tv between 1970 and 1988, so it's very rare that I know who more than 2 of them are. Some of the most enjoyable people for me have been people I'd never heard of before - Zendaya, Ty Murray, Gilles Marini, Mario Lopez, Emitt Smith, Apolo Ohno, Mel B, Kyle Massey, JR Martinez.  (You see one person's big name is quite often an other person's who?)  I'm quite often disappointed by the people I know and have specific guessy expectations of.

I'm confused. Why an objection based on them being American? This isn't Strictly Come Dancing.

Are these really low-rent stars? Yes. It's disappointing. Although as I think I said elsewhere, I think I'd count Tommy Chong and in her own way Betsey Johnson as far higher profile world-wide figures than the rest. Cheech and Chong didn't take ownership of a TV to know them, they were huge world-wide movie stars, and Betsey Johnson, while on one level a total flake appearing on US reality TV, is also the face of a high profile world wide clothing brand. So at the very least, those two are a bit less low-rent.

Arguably you could also make a case for Lolo Jones (although I see your objection that you aren't into Sports, and acknowledge that's true of a lot of people), since key Olympians get a huge global media boost every four years, and that's not limited just to their home country.

Edited by Kromm

There are talented youtube folks if we are considering that a "star

None of my kids, or their friends, watch regular cable television. None of them.

They watch YouTube. They watch Netflix. But they never watch tv. They all subscribe to different channels on Youtube, and that's what they watch.

The idea of watching television, with commercials, is laughable to anyone under  25 that I know.

YouTube most definitely produces huge, legitimate stars, with millions of followers. I myself often watch those YouTube productions like Smosh with my youngest, and a lot of it is better than what I see on cable.

It's a brave new world, and television is a dying industry. YouTube, Netflix et al are the future of entertainment, and it seems short-sighted to simply write off all youtube sensations as 'not real stars', IMO,

I love Carlton so much!  A few years ago he did one of those viral flash mob dance things and it was so good, and man, can he move. And he's not too hard on my eyes either. Very excited to see him and 'the Carlton'. Imagine-that's still a thing, and it's like twenty years later. That's pretty impressive.

Edited by JustAlison
  • Love 1
I'm confused. Why an objection based on them being American? This isn't Strictly Come Dancing.

Yeah I'm a little baffled by the American part. Other than a few people like Gilles Marini, William Levy, Katherine Jenkins, etc. spread out throughout the seasons, the majority of the celebrities have always been American. I can somewhat understand the reaction to Bethany (although as noted, considering she's currently on the cover of Seventeen and there was a billboard in Times Square of her brand, the day of the cast announcement, she's clearly not that unknown) but once again, I don't find this cast that much different than other seasons or so "offensive" in its C and D list status. 

I still don't see what is so different between Alfonso Ribero and say Candace Cameron Bure. They were both on hit 90's shows that lasted for years and were very popular. They had James Maslow last season who came off some Disney show, well both Lea Thompson and Janel Parrish are from hit ABCFamily shows and for Janel, Pretty Little Liars is a huge hit ratings wise and social media wise. That show exploded thanks to twitter and hashtags all over the place. Frankly in my opinion, Cody Simpson was no different than Bethany Motta. Sure his title is supposedly singer but dude has never had one hit, at least not on the U.S. charts and most people really just assumed he was so popular because of his huge twitter following (which is why I was one of those not surprised when he was eliminated). 

As for the others, I doubt anyone who was around particularly in the 90's don't know who Antonio Sabato Jr is. Even if they may not know his name off the bat, once they see him, they will know who he is. As for Sadie Robertson, considering how much that Duck Dynasty Christmas album sold (I still can't wrap my head around that) and how high their ratings were before the one guy made controversial comments, my guess is she's fairly well known and has some support. I mean I never watched their show and have zero interest but clearly there is an audience that does. 

Edited by truthaboutluv

I had a laugh looking at the DWTS FB page with all the teens incredulous that people didn't know who Bethany was. Way to make me feel over-the-hill at 31, kids.

I'm sure TPTB are hoping the combo of Bethany + Derek will bring in all the young viewers but I'm guessing most will watch the videos on YouTube if that's their choice of media viewing.

I think I'm going to enjoy Sadie and Mark based on their videos. Don't know how she can dance but she seems to have personality which is good.

I'm a Val fan and would like to see him win but I just can't with the showmances. It'll be enough to make me not vote for them.

I don't know why Val would think this showmance thing would work. Didn't exactly work for him and Kelly. Yeah, Meryl and Maks won but honestly, I really think that was because Meryl was just that good. Sure they had the shippers who bought into their "great love" that Maks per the usual with him was all too happy to sell but at the end of the day, Meryl came in with her own fans who've followed her Olympic career, and then she was an amazing dancer so there were also the ones who voted based on that.

If Meryl was not as amazing a dancer as she was, showmance or not, I actually don't think they would have won and hell Derek would have probably been able to slip in another win with Amy. After all they did come second. But Meryl was a phenomenal dancer and that's why they won, in my opinion. So unless Janel is Meryl-levels in her skill, if I were Val I'd worry more about her fanbase coming through for her and creating great and memorable routines rather than trying to showmance his way to the win.

To be fair, I really don't know what Val is planning to do or not do.  It's just the pre-season is not looking promising.  Part of it is both he and Janel are super touchy people so in pics she's constantly grabbing at his face, his arms, his chest, staring into his eyes and etc.  I think some of that is just her deal.  She seems super friendly and outgoing so maybe she does this with everyone and will tone it down when the season starts.  

It also comes off a bit odd because up until a week ago at least she had a long term boyfriend that she was always talking about on social media.  They were constantly posting pics and playing up how much they were in love.  Now all of a sudden boyfriend is no longer mentioned and we get staged pap pics of her hanging off of Val.   Maybe it's coincidence, but I'm not entirely sure what they are playing at.  Either she broke up with her boyfriend after rehearsals started or she's just dialing back their public relationship for the sake of the show.  Also seems stupid in the sense that rumors are skills wise, she might be the one to beat.  So the extra just isn't necessary.

I will say in terms of this cast though, part of why I expect Alfonso to get some of the vote is he's one of the few people that people from both younger demos and older demos will likely know coming into the show.  Fresh Prince is still popular enough with the younger generation and it's always on in repeats.  Similar to Candace and Full House last season.   

It also comes off a bit odd because up until a week ago at least she had a long term boyfriend that she was always talking about on social media.  They were constantly posting pics and playing up how much they were in love.  Now all of a sudden boyfriend is no longer mentioned and we get staged pap pics of her hanging off of Val.   Maybe it's coincidence, but I'm not entirely sure what they are playing at.  Either she broke up with her boyfriend after rehearsals started or she's just dialing back their public relationship for the sake of the show.  Also seems stupid in the sense that rumors are skills wise, she might be the one to beat.  So the extra just isn't necessary.

A twitter friend who follows Janel on Instagram said that her boyfriend was "like"ing all the pics she's been posting.  Could be both Janel + the bf view this as just another acting job.   I hope Janel and Val tone it down - it's like Val/Kelly all over again and it's so unnecessary and annoying.

I'm even more confused than you.  I wasn't objecting.  I was explaining why I don't know them.  I follow a lot of British tv too and I don't know any of their C- and D-list stars either.  One tends to be more familiar with one's own C-and D-list stars is all.  I was just explaining that I don't find you have to know who these people are before season in order to thoroughly enjoy them.

• Love 1

I think it was easier to go into it with that mentality in the beginning. Oh, I might not know all of these people but I can still enjoy the competition and the dancing. But for me, it doesn't work that way now in season 19. I have quit on so many seasons. It's hard to make it through the mindless filler and terrible judging and worse hosting (not Tom, but Brooke and the other one... I didn't watch last season) if I don't care about at least one contestant enough to want to see them succeed. 

Oh, and speaking of British shows, I'm getting lonely on the X Factor UK boards so I'd appreciate it if any of you want to come over and chat.

I don't care at all that there aren't a lot of big names - I almost never end up rooting for the person I expect to at the beginning of the season.  . . .  So I'll give it a couple of weeks and I bet I'll like quite a few of the contestants even though I don't know anything about most of them now.

Every single season I think - oh what a bunch of no-name, has-been, never-were losers. . . and every season I end up watching and having my favorites,  and rooting for somebody that I never thought would make it (i.e. hello Bill Engvall, whoda thunk he would have made it that far?!?!)  

• Love 2

I'm going to give the benefit of the doubt on thoughts that Val & Janel are pushing a showmance.  Saw some instagrams and tweets from Janel's boyfriend (Payson Lewis) and retweeted from Janel.  If folks weren't sure they are very much together.

In general I think Val is an affectionate guy.  I haven't seen him "showmance" since Kelly season and that was several seasons ago.  Generally the producers seem to push that story line...and prior to the season I wasn't getting "showmance" vibe from Val & Janel.  I was getting more goofy fun vibe from them.  

Obviously we shall see tonight.  But I was getting the feeling the producers were pushing a "showmance" with Keo & Lolo....I hope they kill that storyline though!

Overall just happy the dancing finally starts tonight!  Even the "bad" dancers seem like they will be fun to watch.

Not that I'm saying Val will push the showmance, but if he hasn't gone there in recent seasons it's also because he hasn't had an opportunity since Kelly.  His partners were either underaged, married or in Danica's case, never going to go there.   Plus Danica was on the verge of getting engaged.

Based on the GMA footage from yesterday's blocking, Lolo and Jonathan look like a royal mess.  Everybody else that was shown looks decent, but there wasn't footage from a few of the couples.  There wasn't much of Sadie.  None of Betsey.  I didn't really see Michael.  Alfonso, Janel, Randy and Lea all look really good.  Bethany and Antonio look pretty good.   So even if the show tries to push a showmance for Keo/Lolo, she probably won't be around that long.

I'm speculating that Derek Hough gets a free pass straight to the finale.

And that the judges overscore Janel to try to push Val there with him. 

I'm not so sure it will be such a straight shot for either of them.  Thought Janel & Val were underscored last night.  Some folks aren't connecting with her personality, but her dancing was good.  If she takes it down a notch/relaxes a bit she might be ok.  Bethany is a question mark for me.  Just based on Derek's fans she'll get past the half way mark no doubt....but her fanbase is questionable to me.  Plus I think there are bigger more likeable personalities (so far).

I'm not so sure it will be such a straight shot for either of them.  Thought Janel & Val were underscored last night.  Some folks aren't connecting with her personality, but her dancing was good.  If she takes it down a notch/relaxes a bit she might be ok.  Bethany is a question mark for me.  Just based on Derek's fans she'll get past the half way mark no doubt....but her fanbase is questionable to me.  Plus I think there are bigger more likeable personalities (so far).

Bethany is a question mark for me too. Are her fans actually tuning in or just watching her on youtube?  I could see a lot of overscoring to keep her (and her fans) into the finals, as I believe they did for Amber.

I'm also not convinced Bethany is such a sure thing to make it to the finale  We've seen before that having a huge online and/or young fanbase doesnt always mean much on this show. They may very well be watching and I'm sure some are voting but when people like Bill Engvall can make it to 4th place it should give you an idea of the core demo that does vote.  All you have to do is dance well enough without completely screwing up and connect to the viewers every week.  Even if you dont have a huge fanbase likability can get you far.

I could see a lot of overscoring to keep her (and her fans) into the finals, as I believe they did for Amber.

This comment is a perfect example of how unless one works for the show and sees actual, solid data, it's all still opinion because I personally did not think Amber was overscored and certainly don't think she was "overscored" into the finals. I thought then and still do that Amber was likely only second to Bill Engvall that season in viewer votes and so she was going to make it far on that alone. And then she turned out to be pretty good and the combination of that pretty much solidified the win for her. 

So I agree that there's a question mark of Bethany's voting base but that's the case for everyone especially so early in the competition. Unless the celebrity is a Bill Engvall who is consistently scoring last place and still making it through so you know their voting base is pretty formidable, the best indication of fanbases comes when it's middle of the season and the couples start getting scored with nary a margin of difference between them. The pairings that survive those very close point differences are the most telling.

Also, I think it's important to note that sometimes it's not about the size of the fanbase but the dedication and determination of the fanbase. Because someone can have a lot of fans but many who aren't that motivated, maybe they think they're fine or they just don't care enough to vote versus someone with a slightly smaller fanbase but the fans are dedicated in their dialing and redialing efforts and social media voting, etc.

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 4

Is the Switch-Up still happening again this season? I know the producers must have loved all the drama that came from that stunt last season. I don't know if it's a bad sign that it's only week two I'm already imagining how beneficial a different pro could be to some of the celebs.

Also the shoddy production values make me said.

I'm not so sure it will be such a straight shot for either of them.  Thought Janel & Val were underscored last night.  Some folks aren't connecting with her personality, but her dancing was good.  If she takes it down a notch/relaxes a bit she might be ok.  Bethany is a question mark for me.  Just based on Derek's fans she'll get past the half way mark no doubt....but her fanbase is questionable to me.   

Well currently these 2 have the highest average scores...