Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E04: Pasta La Vista

• Start Topic

Kobe is overwhelmed with emotions when he meets his son; Bini and Ari have a tense departure from Ethiopia; Jibri and Miona attempt to prepare a meal for his parents; Thais is not a fan of Patrick's brother, John.

First Look: 6/5/22; TLC: 8/5/22; Discovery+: 8/5/22

• Love 1

Was that the nanny who was doing Ari's braids for her? She has her own hairstylist or hair helper? Yeah, Bini, I don't think she would like to go to lunch with you and your sisters.

So we meet Meathead (taking Greekmom's nickname), who lives with his brother. Oh yeah, he met some Brazilian 'model'. No one on this show has an actual job? What does she see in him except for a Green Card? I am cynical and there are so many red flags. At least he has managed to learn some Portuguese and has some ability to communicate with his fiance. Again, the 'love' and not honey or sweetie. Guess names are hard or get repetitive.

Miona, you are lucky to have a roof over your head and food to eat. Unless you brought a big chunk of change from home, you are broke. Jibby's music career tanked because of Covid and all of your nice, exotic, and expensive vacations together. No beach wedding, no expensive dress for a while. There probably are some really nice hoodoos in the area which will make for a stunning backdrop.

• Love 9
On 5/6/2022 at 11:44 PM, Frozendiva said:

Was that the nanny who was doing Ari's braids for her? She has her own hairstylist or hair helper? Yeah, Bini, I don't think she would like to go to lunch with you and your sisters.

So we meet Meathead (taking Greekmom's nickname), who lives with his brother. Oh yeah, he met some Brazilian 'model'. No one on this show has an actual job? What does she see in him except for a Green Card? I am cynical and there are so many red flags. At least he has managed to learn some Portuguese and has some ability to communicate with his fiance. Again, the 'love' and not honey or sweetie. Guess names are hard or get repetitive.

Miona, you are lucky to have a roof over your head and food to eat. Unless you brought a big chunk of change from home, you are broke. Jibby's music career tanked because of Covid and all of your nice, exotic, and expensive vacations together. No beach wedding, no expensive dress for a while. There probably are some really nice hoodoos in the area which will make for a stunning backdrop.

Meathead! Love that for him.  He must be stupid if he tried doping twice.  Meathead Number 1 reminds me of Drew Barrymore's on screen brother in 50 First Dates.  Meathead Number Two would be his brother. 

Yes, another model and no, nobody has an actual job even after they get here and see how expensive the American Dream is to obtain...Only Fans anyone? 

Model must one of those words that has multiple meanings, can mean lazy, stripper, cam girl, on line shopper for broke men, it has endless meanings.

Miona wants a beach wedding, has she looked at a map of where she is?  I hope she will be happy with some local lakeside type of beach because I doubt JibJab has plane fare for LA and a wedding dress of her dreams or either. Why is the word, "realistic," such a dirty word to the people on this show?  Hoodoos would make for a beautiful ceremony backdrop but Miona would not think they are fancy enough.

• Love 13
(edited)
On 5/8/2022 at 6:46 AM, Baltimore Betty said:

Miona wants a beach wedding, has she looked at a map of where she is?  I hope she will be happy with some local lakeside type of beach because I doubt JibJab has plane fare for LA and a wedding dress of her dreams or either.

Mimosa isn't familiar with the idea of looking at a map of the US. She's not interested. The only thing she knows about the US is that she wants to be an LA babe. She likes the money, the beach location, the great looking people and the celebrities. She never figured out it takes work, luck and money to afford to live there or most other places in California. But she has never heard of California.  Maybe she's thinking that once they hit LA, find a gorgeous oceanfront property to live, that Jibby will then be miraculously discovered.

Edited by Breedom
  • LOL 7
  • Love 4

My discovery plus is having issues.  when i try to FF it goes back to the beginning.  I refuse to watch Emily badger kobe about how he might feel in the future a third time.  Or Patrick being so stupid to dope twice.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
19 hours ago, MrBuhBye said:

Patrick got caught cheating twice with illegal supplements.  Disgusting.

If you look at the footage from his training days vs. now, it isn’t hard to see just how much he damaged himself.

Have to wonder what he is doing for a living now.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
8 hours ago, Breedom said:

Mimosa isn't familiar with the idea of looking at a map of the US. She's not interested. The only thing she knows about the US is that she wants to be an LA babe. She likes the money, the beach location, the great looking people and the celebrities. She never figured out it takes work, luck and money to afford to live there or most other places in California. But she has never heard of California.  Maybe she's thinking that once they hit California, find a gorgeous oceanfront property to live, that Jibby will then be miraculously discovered.

I read that as "I want a beach wedding in LA", which I'm sure is in the five if not six figures for a private beach.  As much as I don't particularly care for Miomi now, Jibri has been doing jack squat for his music career other than hoping he'll take off on the internet.  It's like he has no conception of how many other millions of soundcloud rappers are also trying to break through, and he's not even practicing or performing his music, let alone releasing new material.  I have friends who are successful musicians.  It's a lot more work than 9-5.

• Love 10

It's rather easy to make Chicken Alfredo, especially since the cooking instruction is on the package.  Jibri and Miona pulled one of the most common tricks in the book.  In that when asked to do something, you do such a horrible job, that you will never be asked to do it again.  

I can't help but believe that Guillermo's brothers set him up to fail.  They told him that because Kara is older, she would boss him around.  So, everything she says and does is going to be a self-fulfilling prophecy.

• Love 11
(edited)
On 5/6/2022 at 7:33 PM, greekmom said:

Mimosa, the reason you're staying in Rapid City is because.... YOU BROKE GIRL!
NO CASH! No Moola! No dinero.  Comprende?

And she doesn't want Jibri to spend time with his bandmates. Does she not understand that when a band is trying to make it, THEIR ENTIRE LIFE consists of long-ass drives from one club to another, playing gigs, splitting a single hotel room between 3-4 people, and spending basically all their time together? She seems to think he can jump to the "Rock Superstar" level from zero, which is not remotely realistic.

That dinner looked awful. Are either of them aware there are THOUSANDS of recipes on Pinterest and other sites, geared towards every level of cooking ability? Find a protein the parents like (be it hamburger, chicken breast or whatever), then search for a recipe for that protein with the word "easy" in the title.

On 5/6/2022 at 8:44 PM, Frozendiva said:

Does Ari even wipe her own ass? This is a (semi-)serious question.

Ari not allowing Avi's aunts to say Goodbye to him was horrid. Yes, they threw wine in your face. But don't drag Avi into it. And I couldn't help noticing that it was Bini, not her, sitting next to Avi on the plane.

On 5/7/2022 at 10:11 PM, MrBuhBye said:

Patrick got caught cheating twice with illegal supplements.  Disgusting.

And he doesn't even admit to it directly, instead just saying he tested positive.

Meanwhile, Kobe was sooooo happy to just see his son. Emily continues to be annoyingly needy. You can tell her parents probably have never had a black man in the house before.

Finally, a computer does NOT have to cost $1,000. If Guillermo just wants a computer to surf the web and send emails back home, Chromebooks are cheap and work well for websurfing.

Edited by Sir RaiderDuck OMS
  • Love 16

Cooking really isn’t that hard, especially with the internet and blogs and YouTube. And they even made a frozen meal! But jabris parents really can’t complain if they let their son get to adulthood without him learning how to make a few dinners. They should have taught him something to prepare him for living on his own someday

• Useful 2
  • Love 13

Since I missed the snark....

Bilal and Shaeeda: Nice way to be non-commital about having kids, Bilal. Yeah, Shaeeda is 37 and no, she isn't quite ready for the pasture. You don't want kids? You find a woman who doesn't want kids, and is happy to spend time with yours. The whole family was in on his prank? Really? Shaeeda, you are right to want to talk to him about a few things - before you marry him for real. The lies, pretending to be someone else, him being iffy on having any other kids. Talk is real cheap with this guy.

Kara and Guillermo: So he sold a lot of his stuff. I don't know why he needs his own computer, except for convenience and possibly for some privacy. Amazon sells refurbished iPads and other devices, and probably refurbished PCs - so one does not have to buy a top of the line laptop. She can get him a Chromebook or a refurbished device for a year or so. He will turn in to a self-fulfilling prophecy of her nagging him.

Ari and Bini: So they are off to the US. I liked the sister calling Ari evil. What will Ari do to get the Princess Toast life in the US? No nanny to take care of Avi for her and to do her hair and stuff. Yeah, Bini should talk to his sisters alone. They wish him luck. He will need it.

Patrick and Thais: Former weightlifter now Meathead and door to door home alarm system salesperson? He makes money from that? How did he afford the 14 trips to Brazil? Flights are not cheap. Did he stay with his father? Thais needs to know where he is and he can't be around other women? Where have I heard that before...... his brother is a party animal of sorts. That won't work well. Patrick has learned some Portuguese but Thais is slowly studying English. Does she think he is rich on his sales and can support her? What does she plan to do in the US? I see doom and that he is probably being used.

Miona and Jibri: First of all, one very important life skill one needs is how to prepare food for oneself. One cannot always afford a four or five star restaurant. Jibby should be able to make a salad, make a sandwich, cook a can of soup, and prepare a basic dish of microwaved baked potato, cook a chicken breast or pork chop or hamburger or whatever. That packaged pasta has instructions. Read them. Of course Miona is not any better. Lucky girl has never had to cook, clean, or do much of anything. Jibby is not going to do these for her. And I doubt that Mother Jibby will enable her. Miona is in no position to have personal servants or mom doing stuff. She should also be able to make a simple meal. The grocery store shopping seemed production driven. Yeah, some of the apples are waxy. Many places in the US and Canada do not have very fresh produce and it sometimes takes months for some items to get from where they are grown to the grocery shelf. They spent a lot of time in the prepared food aisle. Uh no, you go around the store and skip the middle prepared stuff. A package of Fast and Fancy rice is easy. Put in the 1.75 cups water, add a little butter and add the rice, put on the stove and it's done in a half hour. They just seemed to pick the expensive processed stuff. The chicken Alfredo did come with instructions on the package and should not have been rubbery. Just a way to get out of doing things around the house - if the food is so bad they won't be asked to cook. No, they don't want to. Mioni didn't want to unpack her things and was ready to hop the next Greyhound to LA. Good luck, Princess. 

• Love 10
3 hours ago, b2H said:

If you look at the footage from his training days vs. now, it isn’t hard to see just how much he damaged himself.

Have to wonder what he is doing for a living now.

He said this week that he sells alarm systems door to door.

1 hour ago, Adeejay said:

It's rather easy to make Chicken Alfredo, especially since the cooking instruction is on the package.  Jibri and Miona pulled one of the most common tricks in the book.  In that when asked to do something, you do such a horrible job, that you will never be asked to do it again.  

I can't help but believe that Guillermo's brothers set him up to fail.  They told him that because Kara is older, she would boss him around.  So, everything she says and does is going to be a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Those prepackaged dinners are usually loaded with salt, so I thought the parents would have guessed it.  

• Love 4

Poor Kobe. Emily is acting like the baby is just hers, not theirs. First, she kept Kobe from seeing his son on the first night, then when they finally do meet, she holds the baby the whole time and even pushes Kobe’s hand away when he’s playing with the baby’s feet. Then she scolded him for bugging the baby. Are you kidding me? Poor Kobe has had to watch his son grow up on a video screen for the last two years and she essentially wouldn’t even let him touch his son. I’m speechless. Just speechless.

The more I see her, the more I see her as spoiled, entitled and bossy.And the worst part is that while she insists on calling all the shots, she has terrible judgement. 

One of my favorite i- day moments of any season was watching Kobe’s reaction to his son looking at him. Wow. His love for his son was oozing out of the tv. Loved it! 

• Love 17
36 minutes ago, Spectator said:

The more I see her, the more I see her as spoiled, entitled and bossy.And the worst part is that while she insists on calling all the shots, she has terrible judgement.

Does she have a lisp?  There is something odd about her manner of speaking too.

• Love 5
7 hours ago, MrBuhBye said:

Does she have a lisp?  There is something odd about her manner of speaking too.

Yes she has a minor lisp.  That is the least of her issues.  The scenes of them driving to the house to finally see his son just went on and on.  And she kept telling him to be calm but then turned around building up the excitement with "Aren't you excited" "I can't believe it is finally happening, you finally get to see  your son". Then she proceeds to not allow him to interact with the baby and treat him like a stranger instead of the FATHER.

• Love 9
(edited)

I don’t like Emily at all. The way she told Kobe to stop touching the baby’s feet. Ugh. Run Kobe. Get that green card and run. Apply for joint custody. 
My daughter is half African American. I am part black Latino my damn self but present as racially ambiguous. Despite growing up in Harlem, I didn’t assume that I knew a Black American girl’s experience and from the beginning of her life, I exposed her to her boricua culture and her African American culture. Her dad has not been in her life consistently for years and I still made it my business that she saw every positive about being a black girl in America along with the reality of that, racism and all. I knew I did something right when she told me the other day,” mom I always felt like a pretty girl and that I meant something. So Many of my biracial girl friends can’t say that.” Kobe is a key part of his child’s growth as well as Emily, a white woman in Kansas can’t teach her son how to be a black man in America. She needs to grow the fuck up.

I despise miona and jibs equally. And not for nothing what the faq is black Serbs? He’s bordering on offensive - putting competition with his black fishing chick.  

Sheeda is gorgeous and she needs to leave vile bilal alone. I despise him. Also he gives MLM “millionaire” vibes. 

Edited by lamujerdecente
  • Love 19
8 hours ago, MrBuhBye said:

He said this week that he sells alarm systems door to door.

Those prepackaged dinners are usually loaded with salt, so I thought the parents would have guessed it.  

Those two crazy kids worked so hard on that dinner.

I cook a lot, I have worked in catering for 20 years and obviously have an appreciation for food in shapes and ways, I travel a lot and eat the local foods, this shortcut not even trying to make a decent meal is sad, don't they care what they eat? Job Avoider JibJab and Mimosa have supposedly traveled a lot, wouldn't they appreciate a culinary experience and know what good food is?  

I doubt those two have ever read a food label in their lives, salt content is not even on their radar.

• Love 7
9 hours ago, anoninrva said:

Jibri has been doing jack squat for his music career other than hoping he'll take off on the internet.  It's like he has no conception of how many other millions of soundcloud rappers are also trying to break through, and he's not even practicing or performing his music, let alone releasing new material.  I have friends who are successful musicians.  It's a lot more work than 9-5.

It doesn't sound as though he's been particularly successful at any level either, considering he's living with ma and pa.  Mimosa doesn't have any more sense than Jib especially about a lucrative career.  I understand the makeup artist shtick, that's a real thing, but actually producing makeup?  How exactly?  Does she have some different Serbian formulas or is she more of a Tanya type with special herbs and spices?  Did she say "a line of makeup" or am I imagining that part?

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
4 minutes ago, Chloe Dog said:

but actually producing makeup?  How exactly?

I think Yara tried this and people called her out online, so she stopped. She was essentially buying products from some Chinese supplier and slapping her own label on it----I mean, the company sells products for that purpose, to put your own label on it (think like personalized stuff for baby showers, weddings, etc), except people like Yara design a logo and suddenly they are Kylie Jenner with lipkits, lol

• LOL 6
  • Love 4
8 minutes ago, Chloe Dog said:

It doesn't sound as though he's been particularly successful at any level either, considering he's living with ma and pa.  Mimosa doesn't have any more sense than Jib especially about a lucrative career.  I understand the makeup artist shtick, that's a real thing, but actually producing makeup?  How exactly?  Does she have some different Serbian formulas or is she more of a Tanya type with special herbs and spices?  Did she say "a line of makeup" or am I imagining that part?

She did say she wanted to launch her own makeup line.  That would require some capital and a lot of work.  Maybe a background in organic chemistry?  Honestly, out of my depth here.  I've already opined on the viability of "Space Punk".

19 minutes ago, lamujerdecente said:

My daughter is half African American. I am part black Latino my damn self but present as racially ambiguous. Despite growing up in Harlem, I didn’t assume that I knew a Black American girl’s experience and from the beginning of her life, I exposed her to her boricua culture and her African American culture. Her dad has not been in her life consistently for years and I still made it my business that she saw every positive about being a black girl in America along with the reality of that, racism and all. I knew I did something right when she told me the other day,” mom I always felt like a pretty girl and that I meant something. So Many of my biracial girl friends can’t say that.” Kobe is a key part of his child’s growth as well as Emily, a white woman in Kansas can’t teach her son how to be a black man in America. She needs to grow the fuck up.

I despise miona and jibs equally. And not for nothing what the faq is black Serbs? He’s bordering on offensive - putting competition with his black fishing chick.  

I found it really interesting how Jibri described himself as "multiracial".  I'm guessing that's from his mom, or maybe living in rural SD, but it doesn't seem like the environment is all that different for Kobe.

• Love 4

Oh, boy, that Emily, huh?  Sheesh!  She seems to feel that since she's had Koben for 17 months, that she will continue to call all the shots.  This is going to be problematic.  First she says, "Look at his little feet," while holding them up/out...then Kobe reaches for his son's feet and she says, "No, he's trying to sleep!" or some such controlling nonsense.  For God's sake, let the man touch his son, you bitch.  Also, I can't wait for Kobe to break out the brush and brush his son's hair -- um, it needs tending to by someone who knows how to manage a black child's hair.

• Love 18
41 minutes ago, The Pearl said:

"No, he's trying to sleep!" or some such controlling nonsense. 

I thought Koben was breastfeeding so does he do that in his sleep?  Also he was kicking and squirming the whole time lol.  SHE wanted him to go to sleep, presumably so they could have round four (TMI).

• LOL 6
1 hour ago, The Pearl said:

Oh, boy, that Emily, huh?  Sheesh!  She seems to feel that since she's had Koben for 17 months, that she will continue to call all the shots.  This is going to be problematic.  First she says, "Look at his little feet," while holding them up/out...then Kobe reaches for his son's feet and she says, "No, he's trying to sleep!" or some such controlling nonsense.  For God's sake, let the man touch his son, you bitch.  Also, I can't wait for Kobe to break out the brush and brush his son's hair -- um, it needs tending to by someone who knows how to manage a black child's hair.

CHILE this. I am hair challenged. I used to live in the Dominican Salons in NYC - Straightening this wig of curls. Destroyed my curl pattern and have not straightened my hair since my little sister's wedding in 2017. Its made an enormous difference and my curls are coming back. My mom was a hair stylist in another life so she handled my sister's and my mixed hair textured beautifully- she herself had wavy pelo. She took hold of my daughter's hair and we taught her the power of braids and an oiled scalp. She also spent a portion of her life in the Dominican hair salons- one thing I NEVER allowed her to do was use chemical relaxers. That was done to my sister and she continued it for years - destroying her curl pattern. A Black child needs folks who know what to do with THEIR hair. My mother didn't have you tube but she was raised in Harlem- she asked her black friends and her family members how to manage our hair. Emily has you tube. BISH get on it. 

Off topic my daughter will call me when she is dying her hair or doing anything to it because she knew how anti chemical treatments, I am for her pelo.

• Useful 1
  • Love 9
1 hour ago, gaPeach said:

And she kept telling him to be calm but then turned around building up the excitement with "Aren't you excited" "I can't believe it is finally happening, you finally get to see  your son".

I know, she was just stressing him out even more. I hate people that do that. Then with the baby feet thing, if he wants to reach out and touch those little feet, why would she shoo away his hand? I also didn't like the breastfeeding in front of the dad - maybe I'm just old school. Very weird how Emily found it hilariously funny while Kobe was so overcome and crying over seeing his son. She couldn't stop laughing! Also, the awkward meeting moment between the parents and Kobe. This happens often, where after being introduced there is complete silence. The host family or friends should take it upon themselves to make this foreign person feel welcome. Ask about the flight, how they like the new city they are in or any other number of things - instead of that staring thing. I do like Emily's parents, however.

Billy and Shy:  What was up with Billy's behavior? He seemed to revert to a little kid in front of his mom and family. He kept throwing Shy under the bus, while she took the high road and kept her composure. Billy blurting out how she wasn't happy about the new house, insulting the family, who also took the high road. Talking about kids and the fantasy land comment. What happened to him to make him so different than the rest of his family? Bilal must have been the problem child, and now as an adult a pain in the ass who continues to disappoint. The "prank" he pulled with the house thing was done for his own ego, period. Plus, gaining control over her emotions. A real piece of work.

• Love 12

I have to admit I'm agreeing with Kara about not getting a computer for her little guy.  In theory, anyways.  In practice, she needs some lessons in open discussion, not this authoritarian position she's taking.   They're probably pretty broke.   First, doesn't everyone pretty much use their phone for surfing?  My son & nieces do for everything.  My old eyes need a bigger screen for the most part, but he wouldn't have that problem.  Second, I wonder why these people can't do something a little more productive while they can't work.  Can't they volunteer somewhere?  I had a volunteer position just playing with cats at the animal shelter.  Surely they can do something without a green card?  Maybe I'm all wet.

• Love 2
(edited)

I think I've figured out why Bilal and his family still have the old house and why he keeps bringing up the possibility of his "losing it all:" I'd bet money that his big, fancy house is on an interest-only mortgage, which means he's got a million-dollar balloon payment coming up in 10-15 years, and he'll lose the house (and get a big mark against his credit) if he can't make it. His fancy car is probably being leased. His family is probably hanging onto the old home because it's at least paid for, free and clear.

Now, there's nothing wrong with any of this (I've leased my last three cars), but it does mean that his success is largely illusory. He's simply not who he's presenting himself as.

Edited by Sir RaiderDuck OMS
  • Useful 1
  • Love 7
12 minutes ago, Sir RaiderDuck OMS said:

I think I've figured out why Bilal and his family still have the old house and why he keeps bringing up the possibility of his "losing it all:" I'd bet money that his big, fancy house is on an interest-only mortgage, which means he's got a million-dollar (literally) balloon payment coming up in 10-15 years, and he'll lose the house (and get a big mark against his credit) if he can't make it. His fancy car is probably being leased. Now there's nothing wrong with any of this (I've leased my last three cars), but it does mean that his success is largely illusory. He's simply not who he's presenting himself as.

I've thought that from Day One. He's a poser and a phony. Car? Leased. House? Under water. Louis Vuitton luggage? Knockoff. Credit card debt? Up the yingyang. There are not enough words in the English language to express my detestation of this arrogant, gaslighting, emotional infant. That he pulled this cruel "prank" with the cooperation and blessings of his family, then threw the woman he supposedly loves under the bus at the dinner table.....I'm spluttering now. Then his mother mews about how sad her poor Bilal will be if Shy turns out to be "not everything he needs" of some such nonsense. The whole lot of them are convinced that Shaeeda is either a gold digger, a cheating ho, a dissembling liar, or all three. She seems like a lovely person, intelligent and kind. Why are they lining up to throw stones at her? 

Any remaining spleen I have to vent will be saved for Ari and her passive aggressive mother. I may find some for that idiot Emily and her gate keeping antics too. Jesus, what a crew this time out. My blood pressure's going to take a beating. 

• Love 20
28 minutes ago, Chloe Dog said:

I have to admit I'm agreeing with Kara about not getting a computer for her little guy.  In theory, anyways.  In practice, she needs some lessons in open discussion, not this authoritarian position she's taking.   They're probably pretty broke.   First, doesn't everyone pretty much use their phone for surfing?  My son & nieces do for everything.  My old eyes need a bigger screen for the most part, but he wouldn't have that problem.  Second, I wonder why these people can't do something a little more productive while they can't work.  Can't they volunteer somewhere?  I had a volunteer position just playing with cats at the animal shelter.  Surely they can do something without a green card?  Maybe I'm all wet.

She sees him as a boy.  Charlottesville is relatively expensive, especially if they're near UVA.  I'd thought he'd intimated doing something with computers, online resumes, etc, but I may be giving him more credit than is due.  His "I don't want you to be mad at me for you breaking your computer" reasoning belies a background in computer science.  I'm sure he could find a bartending job.

• Love 4
(edited)
3 minutes ago, anoninrva said:

I'm sure he could find a bartending job.

Of course you're sure, or maybe you would have him stand outside Home Depot every morning ?

Edited by Welshman in Ca
  • LOL 6

After that awkward dinner Mother Bilal needs to tell her son that if he doesn't truly want more children he needs to be honest about it asap and stop wasting Shaee's time. And stop acting like Bilal is a kid who needs protecting. 

Some people really, really hate to cook. Sometimes I think it's just that they are too lazy to learn. Anybody can master several good, simple dishes, you don't have to be a gourmet cook. It's not rocket science. There's nothing difficult about learning to make a common dish like meatloaf, spagetti, or some kind of chicken casserole. So when I hear people say they don't cook or they can't cook I think Bullshit! You're just too lazy to want to cook.

Something disgusting about Emily. Not sure why I disliked her so much right out of the gate. Let your baby get to know his daddy! All the poor guy could do is stand there and cry because he was not allowed to touch. She's so protective and nurturing of the baby but I bet her parents are the ones that really take care of him most of the time. Sickening. 

Kara's attitude is what got me. When she said "Let's drop kick this conversation" so authoritatively and walked away I wanted to drop kick her. She's clearly used to being the boss so choosing this young guy fits perfectly. She thinks she can control him, except hot boy child Guillermo seems to have a mind of his own. There will many fights to come regarding the struggle to control.   

• Love 8

Yeah, Jibri you get that single out that will make you millions while Miona is developing her own makeup line. Both those things are so easy to do and make a success when you don't have a cent to your name and live in Rapid City, SD. Seriously, these two are living in lala land if they think this is how they will make money to move to Los Angeles. What idiots.

• Like 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 8
35 minutes ago, anoninrva said:

She sees him as a boy.  Charlottesville is relatively expensive, especially if they're near UVA.  I'd thought he'd intimated doing something with computers, online resumes, etc, but I may be giving him more credit than is due.  His "I don't want you to be mad at me for you breaking your computer" reasoning belies a background in computer science.  I'm sure he could find a bartending job.

That's a good point.  If he was wanting a computer to keep up with the latest technology, expand his knowledge etc., that'd be one thing, right?  I thought Kara said he didn't have one in the DR, so why now?  I'm throwing my opinion out there with the assumption that he's not too serious about the usage.  Gaming maybe which is fine if you can afford it and your partner is ok with you sluffing around.  Maybe they can afford it and she's just a controlling tight ass?  I just don't see why a young healthy person can't give a little back to the new community that they're joining.

• Love 3
37 minutes ago, Welshman in Ca said:

Of course you're sure, or maybe you would have him stand outside Home Depot every morning ?

He's pretty articulate and charismatic.  Wasn't he bartending when she met him?  He might have to do some day labor if they're dirt poor and there's nothing else to find.  I don't know that there would be a ton of that in C'Ville, though.  There are a ton of realtors around here..

• Love 1
(edited)
On 5/6/2022 at 11:44 PM, Frozendiva said:

Was that the nanny who was doing Ari's braids for her?

Yes, she ORDERED her to braid her hair like Ari was the plantation owner's daughter. There was speculation when we first met Nanny Mimi that she had actually been hired by Ari's parents to look after HER, not just the baby. 

I'm going to post some interesting Nanny News over on their couples page. edited to add, I misread the info and thought it occurred after they moved to NJ, so my apologies

BUT! I'm wondering why in the airplane scene Ari was across the aisle from Bini and the baby. Wouldn't the family be seated together with Ari in the window seat? We didn't see who was sitting there, but you certainly wouldn't have a stranger breaking up the family unit. That's why I'm still betting that Nanny Mimi was there out of camera range and also coming to America. 

Edited by magemaud
  • Love 7
14 hours ago, Sir RaiderDuck OMS said:

Ari not allowing Avi's aunts to say Goodbye to him was horrid. Yes, they threw wine in your face. But don't drag Avi into it. And I couldn't help noticing that it was Bini, not her, sitting next to Avi on the plane.

We must be watching two completely different shows because no matter how I feel about Ari, Bini's sisters are horrid human beings. They've been nagging her since Day One. Their brother is a do-nothing schlub who schtups American women in the hopes of getting a green card all whilst acting like he'd rather stay in Addis. I call bullshit on that. He just happens to get two white, American women pregnant because he's...naive? No. He's an irresponsible moron. And his sisters cannot change stupid. But what they can do is hold their brother accountable and not blame every goddamn thing on Ari. It's their infantalizing their brother that's created the idiot he now is. If they threw wine in my face after bitching me out for not telling them we were moving to the States, I wouldn't let them kiss my child either. Fuck them. Let them learn that their actions have consequences.

Oh, and there is was, wasn't it? 'We hope you will find your first son while you are there.' That stupid woman who had his first kid needs to protect herself, otherwise Bini'll be creeping around her life now too.

1 hour ago, Chloe Dog said:

I have to admit I'm agreeing with Kara about not getting a computer for her little guy.

🤣

Like many of you, I feel revulsion at Emily's control tactics with Kobe, and her sniping at him about not touching the baby's feet because he's about to fall asleep. Bullshit. Let the guy hold his son FFS. I'm hoping that Kobe will have a few choice words about her behavior towards her parents and that they'll love him, and she'll not be so happy to have a baby daddy around anymore. Kobe seems like he has his shit together, minus the 'international banana hammock model' career. She'd best be careful or he'll get a green card and custody of his child. Best thing he could do is play along with her, and convince her to move to a major city somewhere where he won't be one of two token black people in town, and then he'd have a better chance at a decent job and of at least joint custody.

• Love 16
10 minutes ago, gingerella said:

He just happens to get two white, American women pregnant because he's...naive? No. He's an irresponsible moron.

Hey, it takes two----I am continually shocked at people (men and women) who don't use protection (even if already on steady birth control like the pill or shot) for a one night stand, especially in a developing country. Not sure what Ethiopia's HIV rate is, but....jesus lady, it's a guy you picked up in a taxi stand line cause he had hot muscles and dreds. 

I would say he is pretty skilled at finding dumbass white American women to screw. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, bichonblitz said:

After that awkward dinner Mother Bilal needs to tell her son that if he doesn't truly want more children he needs to be honest about it asap and stop wasting Shaee's time. And stop acting like Bilal is a kid who needs protecting. 

Some people really, really hate to cook. Sometimes I think it's just that they are too lazy to learn. Anybody can master several good, simple dishes, you don't have to be a gourmet cook. It's not rocket science. There's nothing difficult about learning to make a common dish like meatloaf, spagetti, or some kind of chicken casserole. So when I hear people say they don't cook or they can't cook I think Bullshit! You're just too lazy to want to cook.

Something disgusting about Emily. Not sure why I disliked her so much right out of the gate. Let your baby get to know his daddy! All the poor guy could do is stand there and cry because he was not allowed to touch. She's so protective and nurturing of the baby but I bet her parents are the ones that really take care of him most of the time. Sickening. 

Kara's attitude is what got me. When she said "Let's drop kick this conversation" so authoritatively and walked away I wanted to drop kick her. She's clearly used to being the boss so choosing this young guy fits perfectly. She thinks she can control him, except hot boy child Guillermo seems to have a mind of his own. There will many fights to come regarding the struggle to control.   

I don’t like cooking. I bake better.

I live alone and find cooking to be a chore. It is not fun to cook for one. I can’t afford daily takeout or Skip the Dishes food delivery, so I make basic meals like chicken or a burger or something. It is not fun to have leftovers for three or four days. I may occasionally cook a fancier meal on a Sunday or if I have guests over. I don’t consider myself lazy.

• Useful 1
  • Love 18
(edited)

Patrick's brother John is a dead ringer for Bill Burr!! I can't look at him/hear him talk and not immediately think of Bill Burr. Also, the relationship between Patrick & Thais is sooo doomed because of John. John is going to be a major issue between them. 

Jibri & Miona bitching about having to make dinner and calling it "being treated like kids" is exactly how kids would respond to simply being asked to contribute to the shared chores of a functional household. Jbiri is so afraid of his parents upsetting Miona, he's missing the bigger picture, that HE'S the one screwing up the relationship. He should've gotten back on his feet financially before bringing her to the US. This relationship will die a death by a thousand cuts, all of them South Dakota related. 

Kara is going to mommy Guillermo right into a younger woman's bed if she doesn't back off. Also, laptops aren't $1000.

I guess Emily got her thexy-time before letting Kobe meet his son. Kobe crying when he met Koban. Oh my heart. He seems like such a good dude. Thanking Emily's parents for everything they've done in his absence was the classiest thing I've ever seen happen on this show. And he's right; it's time to wean the baby off the tit. Not for HIM, but for the baby. And bitch, let him touch his son's lil feeties. You've gotten to touch your son for 2 years, quit being so possessive. I really don't like her.

Bini and Ari, still boring. Not even Bini's bitchy, unreasonable sisters make that storyline less of a snorefest.

I'm quietly thankful that there was no forced-laugh-Yve or her insufferable squad this week. 

Edited by FrancescaFiore
  • Useful 1
  • Love 12

I will say that the women in Bilal's family are beautiful...the mother reminded me of the Queen in Coming to America...so dignified and regal.  And of course Shaeeda is stunning (and I apologize if I spelled her name wrong).

Not to defend Ari, but I heard the woman (nanny?) ask if Ari wanted her hair braided and Ari said yes please.  She appeared to have a good relationship with that women, at least in the scenes they showed last night.  

• Useful 2
  • Love 6
(edited)
2 hours ago, jackjill89 said:

Yeah, Jibri you get that single out that will make you millions while Miona is developing her own makeup line. Both those things are so easy to do and make a success when you don't have a cent to your name and live in Rapid City, SD. Seriously, these two are living in lala land if they think this is how they will make money to move to Los Angeles. What idiots.

The irony of those too dumb dumbs moving to LA where the celebs and cool people live when a lot of those people are moving out of LA to Austin, Idaho, Wyoming, etc...and when you do not own a car in LA you will have a hard time getting around to all the hip spots in town.

Those two, ugh. Get some life skills, learn how to make a decent dinner then talk about making millions.

Edited by Baltimore Betty
  • Love 9