Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E08: I Am Not Alone

Athena
  • Start Topic

Season Finale!

Richard Brown and his Committee of Safety arrive to arrest Claire for murder. However, due to the rising political tensions in the colonies, Brown’s plan to find a judge for a trial does not go as expected.

Reminder: This is the No Book Talk topic. No discussion of the books is allowed including saying "in the books..." Posts may be removed without warning.

I have to say, Young Ian does my heart good. With 3 minutes left in the episode, I was thinking what a stinker of a cliffhanger for a season finale (especially after the pitiful beginning - 8 minutes of a shoot out??) Young Ian shows up to save the day (and the episode!). 

The look on that villain’s face when Ian replied to Jamie’s “Dinna kill him, he kens where Claire is.” “So do we uncle.” That wiped the snide grin off his face.  

And now Droughtlander starts. 😟

• Love 15

I agree that Ian was the only good part of this episode!  Maybe the whole season, actually. 

I'm not sad about Droughtlander... they need some time to work on some stuff to make next season good again. We need better writing, dialogue, some acting coaches, and perhaps a choreographer...  Brianna and Roger's scene in the tent was so cringeworthy!  Plus, no one in either the 1770s or the 1970s said "baby bump." That's a more modern term, as far as I know. Anachronisms that are that obvious bother me. 

• Love 14

I actually enjoyed this episode a lot and felt the stress of Jamie and Claire in the standoff. 

Honestly, I left this episode wishing the British would defeat these stupid Americans in the upcoming war (and I am American- 🤣). The “justice” and willingness to kill people who had done so much for them was appalling.

I was happy to see Ian come to the rescue!

Tom Christie is an interesting case. I think he instinctively knows what a loving couple Jamie and Claire are and that it’s unlikely he cheated on her. He knows that Malva was not to be trusted but could not publicly deny her claim. His guilt and genuine belief in justice causes him to want to do right by Claire. It will be interesting to see how far integrity will take him…

So glad they resolved the Jemmy paternity question in a positive way. Made me smile! 

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 7

Was Claire put in the same jail as the whistling time traveler? Strange that they had that one scene of him and then no other mention.

The Roger/Bree scene lasted for an uncomfortably long time. I kept skipping ahead 10 seconds and they kept on doing it. 

The season ending was the best part but it made me realize how depressing the rest of the season was. I doubt I’ll be rewatching it any time soon.

• Love 9
13 minutes ago, nara said:

The “justice” and willingness to kill people who had done so much for them was appalling

You’ve encapsulated my feelings in this one sentence. And that NONE of the group of people that weren’t fisher folk, didn’t show up to help Jamie and Claire during the shooting. Bastards. The lot of them. Except for Meyers and the one Beardsley.

• Love 4
(edited)

Reminding us of Roger's terrible behavior back in S4 right before he unfortunately took off his shirt for an over-long love scene was a mistake, I had to fast-forward.  Brianna could still do better.  I guess the time-traveler is still in the Wilmington jail, and he will interact with Claire next season... Since they weren't traveling North through the forest, Claire wasn't given the same temptation of passing by any conveniently placed travel-stones like Roger was. 

I don't like that droughtlander is here already, and that so much of this season was more about this family of new characters that was retconned from Jamie's past as opposed to advancing the central story/lore of the show.  I hope the Christie's don't linger very long into season 8.  Since so few of the towns-folk made the trek to Wilmington, it seems unlikely that the court will be able to find the actual father and/or killer, unless Christie testifies that he knows who did it, in which case I guess they will have to travel the 400 miles to apprehend the rightful killer?  But then, actual justice was never the point to begin with. 

Edited by Glade
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
7 minutes ago, ch1 said:

They started filming a few weeks ago.  I read that they expect filming to take a year.  

That sounds about right-season 7 will air next year. The seasons have aired a year apart except for this season and that’s because of COVID.

8 hours ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

Plus, no one in either the 1770s or the 1970s said "baby bump." That's a more modern term, as far as I know. Anachronisms that are that obvious bother me. 

They didn't say "baby bump". Roger only said "bump", when he came across her bump after an extended road metaphor, as in the bump in the road.

2 hours ago, Lola82 said:

Was Claire put in the same jail as the whistling time traveler? Strange that they had that one scene of him and then no other mention.

The Roger/Bree scene lasted for an uncomfortably long time. I kept skipping ahead 10 seconds and they kept on doing it.

Yes, that was also the Wilmington jail. They must have been setting it up for next season, and that'll also be why they didn't show the face since they won't have the real actor for the character appear in just one scene in one season.

They're getting in on Jamie and Claire's sexcapades.

2 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

You’ve encapsulated my feelings in this one sentence. And that NONE of the group of people that weren’t fisher folk, didn’t show up to help Jamie and Claire during the shooting. Bastards. The lot of them. Except for Meyers and the one Beardsley.

Didn't the Ardsmuir men who showed up with Lizzie to help live on the Ridge?

• Love 2

The Brianna/Roger sex scene was so cringe. That's weird they brought up their North Carolina vacation when it ended so miserably. It's also weird that Jemmy looks to be four or five by now, but never really talks. I wonder if the actor had difficulty with his lines and the producers decided it was easier to just show him running around. 

I agree Ian was the highlight of this episode (and quite frankly, the season). When he popped up in the woods, I actually cheered. Im glad the Native Americans didn't leave Jamie hanging after the shitbags on the Ridge abandoned him. I'm not sure where we'll be in S7, but if I were Jamie I'd be plastering eviction notices on all their doors the moment I got home. 

I actually liked the finale, but the season dragged as a whole. Hopefully they can get things back on track. 

• Love 10
8 hours ago, Lola82 said:

I was SO SURE that Claire would hear him whistling near the end of the show! And then.... nothing. It seems stupid to put that one scene in and then completely forget about it for an entire year.

Also, YAY IAN!  I laughed when that guy put his hand out to "stop" the bullet and of course, it just went right through!

Finally, that Brianna & Roger scene was just boring. Plus it went on too long. I have no interest in those two.

• Like 1
  • Love 6
(edited)

Really?  That's where they're going to end the season?  With absolutely nothing resolved? 

On 5/1/2022 at 12:54 PM, FnkyChkn34 said:

I agree that Ian was the only good part of this episode!  Maybe the whole season, actually.

I wholeheartedly agree.  (I do give credit to the Tom Christie actor for a superb performance this season too.)

18 hours ago, Lola82 said:

Guess we'll have to wait and see.  Sigh.

On 5/1/2022 at 2:17 AM, ferjy said:

8 minutes of a shoot out??

And two (count 'em) overlong sex scenes.  And a very long speech by Jamie about cat lives.  And scene after scene of them riding in a wagon.  Again, sigh.

Aside from Ian's brief scene the only other thing I liked was Claire coming out of the house, literally with gun(s) blazing.  The clip we saw all season in the opening credits.  That's the Claire I want to see, not the one who self medicates away her PTSD.

Edited by Haleth
  • Like 1
  • Love 12
1 hour ago, Haleth said:

(I do give credit to the Tom Christie actor for a superb performance this season too.)

I agree as well. Mark Lewis Jones has been wonderful to watch. I'm rather glad he's (possibly) carrying over to the next season. 

Outlander does cast really well, one of my favorites being Andrew Gower as Bonnie Prince Charlie. 

I know many were disappointed with this season, for various reasons, but I liked it. A lot. The filming and the lighting were better quality and the show looked sumptuous, something that was missing from season 4 (especially) and season 5. I'm sad that we're back in Droughtlander. 

• Love 3
41 minutes ago, cardigirl said:

I agree as well. Mark Lewis Jones has been wonderful to watch. I'm rather glad he's (possibly) carrying over to the next season. 

Outlander does cast really well, one of my favorites being Andrew Gower as Bonnie Prince Charlie. 

I know many were disappointed with this season, for various reasons, but I liked it. A lot. The filming and the lighting were better quality and the show looked sumptuous, something that was missing from season 4 (especially) and season 5. I'm sad that we're back in Droughtlander. 

After the finale we watched episode 101 & I was reminded that this show always looks good! I just love the production values. The director on 608 is clearly very talented. And casting is always spot on! 

• Love 2
9 minutes ago, Cdh20 said:

After the finale we watched episode 101 & I was reminded that this show always looks good! I just love the production values. The director on 608 is clearly very talented. And casting is always spot on! 

I thought seasons 1 and 2 in particular were gorgeous and like movies to watch. Just beautiful. I felt that way about this season. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, cardigirl said:

I also enjoyed the season very much and I really liked the finale (except for the scenes with Bree + Roger). 

• Love 2
13 hours ago, Noneofyourbusiness said:

They didn't say "baby bump". Roger only said "bump", when he came across her bump after an extended road metaphor, as in the bump in the road.

Maybe that's true, but it was still modern enough that my mind immediately left their road-trip analogy and thought of the modern term.  I can't be the only one, and I think the writers should have taken that into consideration.  Maybe I'm also just being super picky because the whole scene was so cringeworthy, I couldn't help but be so hypercritical?  Sorry if that's the case.  

• Like 1
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, Lily H said:

I was SO SURE that Claire would hear him whistling near the end of the show! And then.... nothing. 

That would have been a much more impactful way to end things. Claire alone in her cell, she hears the whistling and the scene cuts as a look of pure shock comes upon her face. If they were only going to have the traveler in one scene in one episode, it should've been the finale. 

• Love 9
22 hours ago, nara said:

I actually enjoyed this episode a lot and felt the stress of Jamie and Claire in the standoff. 

Honestly, I left this episode wishing the British would defeat these stupid Americans in the upcoming war (and I am American- 🤣). The “justice” and willingness to kill people who had done so much for them was appalling.

I was happy to see Ian come to the rescue!

Tom Christie is an interesting case. I think he instinctively knows what a loving couple Jamie and Claire are and that it’s unlikely he cheated on her. He knows that Malva was not to be trusted but could not publicly deny her claim. His guilt and genuine belief in justice causes him to want to do right by Claire. It will be interesting to see how far integrity will take him…

So glad they resolved the Jemmy paternity question in a positive way. Made me smile! 

I agree that Tom Christie is an interesting case as well. I think in watching Jamie and Claire together and seeing how much they truly do love each other, that he is realizing that Jamie is not the father of Malva's child. I also think in some aspect he suspects that his son is but doesn't want to face that truth at this point. A scandal of that sort is not looked well upon in this day and age and in 1778-1780 its would be something that would cause Tom to be shunned. I also think he knows that Claire truly does try to help people and that she would never deliberately hurt or kill anyone, especially since she took Malva under her wing so to speak and was teaching her ways to help others. Also I think he knows deep down that neither of his children are of good character. That would be a hard thing as a parent to acknowledge. 

I really liked how they resolved the issue of Jemmy's paternity but hated how they dealt with lice. First off shaving one's head doesn't rid the head of lice. You need something that will smother them. Vinegar back before there was pharmaceutical products was the main source of treating head lice along with oil of rosemary which was very effective. Of course there were other treatments like smearing on arsenic and bathing in viper juice to some other really unpleasant things that individuals did that I won't post. Suffice it to say, if you do a search of St Catherine of Genoa, you will understand. Anyway, with all of them being that close, Brianna would also have had to cut her hair. Lice aren't fussy, once they find a host they will infect all those within a close proximity. They don't jump or fly but they do crawl and especially in the late 1700's there were many layers of clothing which with they could attach and find their way to a host. 

Ian rescuing Jamie was reminiscent of Jamie and Claire rescuing him in Jamaica. I kept waiting and waiting for those who lived on the Ridge to show up with Ian when he first came to Jamie but nary a one stepped forward other than those Lizzie was able to summon and that was pitiful to say the least. If I were Claire once she is released and found innocent of Malva's murder, she shouldn't administer care to any of them for what they did not only to her but to Jamie as well. That was one of the things that made me really ticked the entire episode. 

Well, I thought the season was good albeit short but hopefully next season will be just as enjoyable if not more since they are doing 16 episodes.  

• Like 1
  • Love 9
2 hours ago, WatcherUatl10 said:

(nothing against the actor, who is probably a nice person, but Outlander casting made certain that the actress playing Malva was attractive, and none of her male relatives on the same level. Reminds me of Daisy Mae in Lil' Abner and her hideous brothers.)

I know it would ruin the story, but ALL any one of our heroes had to do was to take out Brown. He's the one with the vendetta and the rest will scatter once the head is cut off, because they are not TRULY invested enough in seeing either Fraser die.

Um, Alexander Vlahos has a large number of fangirls, actually. He even played Dorian Gray in The Confessions of Dorian Gray.

I was thinking that during the so-called peace flag scene. Although his men might have still roused the torch-wielding mob of fisherfolk after that during the night, for revenge.

6 minutes ago, WatcherUatl10 said:

Do NOT get me started on the eternally awful miscastings of Dorian Gray! LOL! Personally I thought at one time that Douglas Booth would have been perfect. It's as if no one ever read the book!

Well, they did at least lampshade that Dorian wasn't blond like in the book; Oscar Wilde knew him personally and took artistic license.

I loved that Claire had a second gun when she put down the first one.

• Love 1
22 hours ago, domina89 said:

During the siege scene, I was completely distracted by Adso.  I kept thinking the poor thing was going to be shot or burned up!

SAME! I was so relieved when they later showed him chowing down without a care in the world (typical cat!).

• Love 3
(edited)

I don't even know what to say about this S06 finale. I f/f'd through some of the fighting scenes because honestly? They were too.damn.long. I get it, you don't need to hit me over the head with a brick ffs. Jamie should have just shot and killed that Brown motherfucker once and for all. I don't think any of those idiots in his posse would have cared much to be honest. And the level of his hatred for them was so off the charts when we learn that he had bribed a sea captain to take Jamie back to Scotland so he couldn't be near Claire. That? Is a woman-hating, misogynistic piece of shite right there. It's not about revenge for his disgusting brother's deserved death? Bullshit. It totally was.

Like many here, I could have done without the B&R sexy times, and to be honest, even the J&C sex scene was lackluster for me. Once the hottest couple on TV, they've been reduced to me f/fing to get on with it already.

The entire wagon train to Wilmington was so.damn.slow. Maybe that was the point but it doesn't make for great TV. I am rather glad though, that Claire didn't end up tending any of those bastards wounds, fuck them all. Did that little piss ant that she shot and who ended up dying really think nothing would happen if he rolled into her home armed and shooting?

What is Tom Christie's end game here? Does he see how much in love C&J are, and realize that he wishes he had someone like that, and how rare it is, and that he knows in his heart that she didn't kill Mulva AND that Jamie could never have lain with her either? That's all I can glean from his sudden devotion to her safety, though if he knows Jamie is alive and well, maybe he knows he's being sent to Scotland and he thinks in some alternate universe that Claire will take him as her new hubby once she is freed and learns Jamie is gone. Which is bollocks because no way would Claire sit around and deal with that. She'd book passage on the next ship to Scotland, duh. This whole thing is just stupid.

I had been wondering recently if the books ever resolve or reveal Jemmy's true paternal parentage et voila! Here you go Gingerella, right on queue, but it felt really forced, like the show runners felt the need to resolve this ASAP. I wonder if this happens in Book 6 because it fell flat here to me.  And is that really a hereditary thing though, I wonder? It didn't look like a birthmark, it looked like something quite weird. Anyway, does this mean that Jemmy can time travel too, and that they could all three go back to Brianna and Roger's time? I mean, it's not really Jemmy's time though so I wonder what that means or if it affects time travel for the wee lad? Of course we'll never know because apparently Gabaldon thought she'd write a time travel story but without much mention of said time travel, so I hold no hope in ever gaining any answers, alas.

The only piece of this season finale that I liked was Ian showing up at the last moment to save the day with his Cherokee pals, though I thought there were way more of them then galloped onto the sand. I do wish someone had offed that sea captain though. Ian was the saving grace of this episode and the season.

I suppose next season we get an opener with Claire's mock trial, which has been grossly tainted by asshat Brown. Then she and Jamie return to the Ridge, where Lizzie, Kizzy, Josiah, and the Bugs have rebuilt and repaired the entire homestead in their absence. B&R come home utterly unaware of what's been going down, but happy that Jemmy is theirs. And then what? J&C kick all the fisher folk and anyone who didn't support them off the Ridge? I'd do that if I were them. Or perhaps they go home, but it's no longer 'home', so they make a plan and torch the place in the middle of the night and ride off somewhere to start anew? I've no idea but maybe that's how the fire they supposedly die in happens? It seemed like this was going to happen this episode but because Jamie nattered on about them being smoked out, I figured it wouldna happen and it dinnae, so I kent something about how these show runners structure their story lines, boring as they've been.

Lastly, I continue to be perplexed as all hell that both Cait and Sam boast about how great S06 is and how proud they are of it. Okay, I can see being proud of producing anything under lockdown and Covid rules. But this? Objectively speaking, is utter shit. What am I missing here?

Edited by gingerella
  • Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, gingerella said:

The only piece of this season finale that I liked was Ian showing up at the last moment to save the day with his Mohawk pals,

It was the Cherokee who helped to save Jamie's arse, along with Wee Ian.

1 hour ago, gingerella said:

Lastly, I continue to be perplexed as all hell that both Cait and Sam boast about how great S06 is and how proud they are of it. Okay, I can see being proud of producing anything under lockdown and Covid rules. But this? Objectively speaking, is utter shit. What am I missing here?

You are not alone. That Sam's favorite episodes were the last two. Da Fook? This season absolutely sucked. And the abbreviated season is a factor, as far as I'm consairned.

• Like 1
  • Love 3
35 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

You are not alone. That Sam's favorite episodes were the last two. Da Fook? This season absolutely sucked. And the abbreviated season is a factor, as far as I'm consairned.

I'm glad it's not just me BUT...I don't think it's the shortened season at all because regardless of whether or not this had 4 or 5 more episodes to make it a full season, it still sucks really badly. I wish the original show runners would come back from S01 & 02 and finish out however many season we will have.

• Love 3
Just now, gingerella said:

I'm glad it's not just me BUT...I don't think it's the shortened season at all because regardless of whether or not this had 4 or 5 more episodes to make it a full season, it still sucks really badly. I wish the original show runners would come back from S01 & 02 and finish out however many season we will have.

I read a tweet a few weeks ago where someone was asking Gabaldon about future seasons and she replied that they were in talks for seasons 8 and 9.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, CarpeFelis said:

SAME! I was so relieved when they later showed him chowing down without a care in the world (typical cat!).

That reminded me of the wedding episode before the title card. Different cat of course.

• Love 4
5 hours ago, gingerella said:

What is Tom Christie's end game here? Does he see how much in love C&J are, and realize that he wishes he had someone like that, and how rare it is, and that he knows in his heart that she didn't kill Mulva AND that Jamie could never have lain with her either? That's all I can glean from his sudden devotion to her safety

Anyway, does this mean that Jemmy can time travel too,

The only piece of this season finale that I liked was Ian showing up at the last moment to save the day with his Mohawk pals,

Given how sure Tom seemed that Claire would be alright if they got to Wilmington, and yet so cagey about it, I got the feeling he plans to take the rug from under Brown's feet by falsely confessing to the murder.

It was established last season that Jemmy can time travel, or the gem wouldn't have got hot in his hands and he wouldn't have been able to disappear with Bree and Roger through the stones, even for a journey to a few minutes/hours in the future.

Ian brought Chief Bird and the Cherokee who live relatively close to Fraser's Ridge and promised to fight alongside Jamie earlier after he procured guns for them. The Mohawk live much farther north.

• Love 1

I am glad I wasn't the only one expecting the episode to end with Claire hearing the whistling coming from the cell over, looking shocked as she recognizes the song, that would have been a much stronger ending. Not that the ending was bad, Ian and the Native Americans showing up guns a blazing to save Jamie was absolutely the highlight of the episode. Ian in general has been one of the best parts of the season, I just love the guy, I cheered when he showed up in the forest. At least Ian and his buddies stuck by Jamie, all of those other assholes on the Ridge, except for Lizzie, her husbands, and a few other guys, can all jump in a well, bunch of ingrates. After everything the Frasers have done for them, they were so quick to turn on them because of some village gossip, what a pack of assholes. The whole family should move the second they can and leave them to fend for themselves. 

Oh, and I loved Claire's second gun. And the way that assholes smug smirk disappeared when Ian told him that they know where Claire so they don't need him alive, followed by him getting shot through the hand and the eye. that was awesome. I also thought this episode, and the season in general, looked great, especially with the limitations they were working with, very lush and beautifully filmed. 

I didn't dislike this season as much as some people, but I admit I wish that it had gone in some different directions. I liked some of the slice of life stuff we got at the start of the season, the flashbacks to Jamie's time in Scotland and Ian's backstory was good, I liked the focus on dealing with trauma and the days leading up to the American Revolution. I really wish we could have focused on those things instead of the drama with the fisher folk, the creepy Christies, and Claire being accused of witchcraft. Again. In the freaking colonial era. Its just the same beats we have hit a billion times now, Claire uses her modern knowledge to save people, the local yokels think its sorcery, Claire refuses to read the room, she gets in trouble, haven't we done this before? I just really wish we could have focused on something else, there were so many interesting things established in the first half of the season, like the Revolution from the perspective of both the common folk and people who know how it ends, then it all got swallowed in the creepy Christie's and another witch hunt. 

I thought, with the into, for a second that Claire had brought the whole family to the 20th century to get away from all of this bullshit. I did like a lot of this season, but I hope that next season can focus on things besides stupid people still screaming about witches and misery porn for the poor cursed Frasers, who I am starting to suspect really are cursed. The amount of misfortune this one family faces is just staggering.

• Like 2
  • Love 6
(edited)
2 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

I am glad I wasn't the only one expecting the episode to end with Claire hearing the whistling coming from the cell over, looking shocked as she recognizes the song, that would have been a much stronger ending. Not that the ending was bad, Ian and the Native Americans showing up guns a blazing to save Jamie was absolutely the highlight of the episode. Ian in general has been one of the best parts of the season, I just love the guy, I cheered when he showed up in the forest. At least Ian and his buddies stuck by Jamie, all of those other assholes on the Ridge, except for Lizzie, her husbands, and a few other guys, can all jump in a well, bunch of ingrates. After everything the Frasers have done for them, they were so quick to turn on them because of some village gossip, what a pack of assholes. The whole family should move the second they can and leave them to fend for themselves. 

Oh, and I loved Claire's second gun. And the way that assholes smug smirk disappeared when Ian told him that they know where Claire so they don't need him alive, followed by him getting shot through the hand and the eye. that was awesome. I also thought this episode, and the season in general, looked great, especially with the limitations they were working with, very lush and beautifully filmed. 

I didn't dislike this season as much as some people, but I admit I wish that it had gone in some different directions. I liked some of the slice of life stuff we got at the start of the season, the flashbacks to Jamie's time in Scotland and Ian's backstory was good, I liked the focus on dealing with trauma and the days leading up to the American Revolution. I really wish we could have focused on those things instead of the drama with the fisher folk, the creepy Christies, and Claire being accused of witchcraft. Again. In the freaking colonial era. Its just the same beats we have hit a billion times now, Claire uses her modern knowledge to save people, the local yokels think its sorcery, Claire refuses to read the room, she gets in trouble, haven't we done this before? I just really wish we could have focused on something else, there were so many interesting things established in the first half of the season, like the Revolution from the perspective of both the common folk and people who know how it ends, then it all got swallowed in the creepy Christie's and another witch hunt. 

I thought, with the into, for a second that Claire had brought the whole family to the 20th century to get away from all of this bullshit. I did like a lot of this season, but I hope that next season can focus on things besides stupid people still screaming about witches and misery porn for the poor cursed Frasers, who I am starting to suspect really are cursed. The amount of misfortune this one family faces is just staggering.

I don’t think the ridge residents that did show up to support Claire & Jamie turned their  backs on them. Jamie told them that they would be outnumbered (because the fisherfolk had joined Brown’s side), & a shootout would just result in everyone dying! 

If we finally get to the war next season- will that be better? The Frasers cannot catch a lucky break. I must admit though I prefer some drama to boring life on the ridge☺️.

Edited by Cdh20
Adding a thought!
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

At least Ian and his buddies stuck by Jamie, all of those other assholes on the Ridge, except for Lizzie, her husbands, and a few other guys, can all jump in a well, bunch of ingrates. After everything the Frasers have done for them, they were so quick to turn on them because of some village gossip, what a pack of assholes. The whole family should move the second they can and leave them to fend for themselves.

I think it would have to be the other settlers who would have to leave, because Jamie is the owner of the land. Or if Frasers left, it would involve selling the land to a new landlord.

(edited)
On 5/2/2022 at 5:59 PM, WatcherUatl10 said:

Yeah, I believe that Malva was likely suffering for years at the hands of the males of her family, and saw the Frasers as a way out. What she did to them is unforgivable, but it probably made some twisted sense in her head. I assume the brother killed her and that she hadn't figured that into her plan. 

I know it would ruin the story, but ALL any one of our heroes had to do was to take out Brown. He's the one with the vendetta and the rest will scatter once the head is cut off, because they are not TRULY invested enough in seeing either Fraser die.

^^That's what I saw as well. That poor child enduring years of abuse at the hands of her father - for sure - they showed Tom beating Malva on the regular -  but did the show ever show anything with the brother? He looked shady but there was never anything specific. So why did the brother kill her? Will they reveal that next season? < and since I want to know -- I will tune in. So kudos to the show for keeping me interested.

Me too! I kept wondering why Jamie just didn't shoot Mr. Brown and end the whole thing? Just shoot him! Just shoot him already!

Also -- they know they are going to "die" in a fire or some such premise - so when they built the house -- knowing this - why didn't they build an escape tunnel? 

The actor playing Tom is awesome. I think the show established he feels some kind of fascination toward Claire. He conveys so much with his eyes. Anyway, I figure he is tagging along to Wilmington to make sure Claire is safe. Or at least makes it to trial. Maybe even try to rescue her? 

And oh yeah. I expected for Claire to hear that dude whistling/humming a modern song from the future. Otherwise - what was the purpose of showing him in that specific jail a couple eps back? <that was a little weird to me.

Didn't they already establish that the little boy - whatshisname-- was Roger's son last season when he held that stone and it "burned" his little hands? and that he can travel through the stones because they all literally traveled through the stones.  I personally would have liked that they never really resolved that or that they had made Stephen Bonnet his father. and because the kid can time travel -- maybe Stephen Bonnet could time travel as well when he was alive but he just didn't know it.  

Anyway the ending was fun. I am glad they didn't end the season on a sour note --- like Jaime getting sent back to Scotland leaving Claire to fend for herself in America. 

Edited by taanja
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
23 hours ago, taanja said:

^^That's what I saw as well. That poor child enduring years of abuse at the hands of her father - for sure - they showed Tom beating Malva on the regular -  but did the show ever show anything with the brother? He looked shady but there was never anything specific.

Well, Claire was getting through to her and then she changed her tune as soon as he showed up, which indicated Malva was afraid of him.

On 5/5/2022 at 11:55 AM, taanja said:

And oh yeah. I expected for Claire to hear that dude whistling/humming a modern song from the future. Otherwise - what was the purpose of showing him in that specific jail a couple eps back? <that was a little weird to me.

Didn't they already establish that the little boy - whatshisname-- was Roger's son last season when he held that stone and it "burned" his little hands? and that he can travel through the stones because they all literally traveled through the stones.  I personally would have liked that they never really resolved that or that they had made Stephen Bonnet his father. and because the kid can time travel -- maybe Stephen Bonnet could time travel as well when he was alive but he just didn't know it. 

To set it up for next season.

Jemmy, short for Jeremiah, a family name in Roger's family. Bree speculated the stone having a stronger reaction to him could be because he was the son of two time travelers, but they didn't know for sure. Being able to time travel could still have come just from his mother.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
53 minutes ago, Noneofyourbusiness said:

Well, Claire was getting through to her and then she changed her tune as soon as he showed up, which indicated Malva was afraid of him.

To set it up for next season.

Jemmy, short for Jeremiah, a family name in Roger's family. Bree speculated the stone having a stronger reaction to him could be because he was the son of two time travelers, but they didn't know for sure. Being able to time travel could still have come just from his mother.

Did the show ever tell us what the brother is/was doing to Malva? It seemed both her father and brother were controllers. But that's kind of the time isn't it? Men were literally the rulers of everything.  I thought maybe that scene indicated that the brother was the master mind behind accusing Jaime of being the father and he was afraid Malva was going to tell Claire so he quick stopped her.

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, taanja said:

Did the show ever tell us what the brother is/was doing to Malva? It seemed both her father and brother were controllers. But that's kind of the time isn't it? Men were literally the rulers of everything.  I thought maybe that scene indicated that the brother was the master mind behind accusing Jaime of being the father and he was afraid Malva was going to tell Claire so he quick stopped her.

I think most of us here feel that Allan was raping her and she got pregnant from him, so it's he who killed her to keep her from confessing to Claire.

9 minutes ago, gingerella said:

I think most of us here feel that Allan was raping her and she got pregnant from him, so it's he who killed her to keep her from confessing to Claire.

Oh? That actually never occurred to me. ha!

I was thinking it was the father because they actually showed him almost "hating" Malva and beating her. Crossing the line to incest seemed just a natural conclusion. there was even that one scene where the brother stood outside the cabin listening to Tom beating Malva -- he looked tortured and then he walked away -- like he had heard and witnessed the violence many times before and he knew what was coming next.

54 minutes ago, taanja said:

Oh? That actually never occurred to me. ha!

I was thinking it was the father because they actually showed him almost "hating" Malva and beating her. Crossing the line to incest seemed just a natural conclusion. there was even that one scene where the brother stood outside the cabin listening to Tom beating Malva -- he looked tortured and then he walked away -- like he had heard and witnessed the violence many times before and he knew what was coming next.

Yeah that could be too, but Allan was way too weird about the whole thing. But maybe both of them did it and she didn't know who the father was? Anyway, I hate these Christie people and their stupid sheeple fisher folk. To hell with the lot of them. Bring back Jenny & Ian, I say! Hell, I'd even take a Leery sighting at this point, over these wasted awful characters!

• LOL 1
26 minutes ago, gingerella said:

Yeah that could be too, but Allan was way too weird about the whole thing. But maybe both of them did it and she didn't know who the father was? Anyway, I hate these Christie people and their stupid sheeple fisher folk. To hell with the lot of them. Bring back Jenny & Ian, I say! Hell, I'd even take a Leery sighting at this point, over these wasted awful characters!

I don't hate the characters. I like the conflict and drama.

I believe Ian has been in many eps this season? we even got his back story with the Mohawks (which personally I thought went on too long) and he was the hero of the finale when he saved Jamie.

The actress who plays Jenny is on another show. Plus-- why would the character come to colonial America? Doesn't she and her husband live at Lallybroch? with like a brood of children and grandchildren? That would be some serious suspension  of belief if she suddenly showed up.

As to Leary -- no thanks.

3 hours ago, taanja said:

I think it implied that. We just haven't been shown what was going on.

1 hour ago, taanja said:

I believe Ian has been in many eps this season? we even got his back story with the Mohawks (which personally I thought went on too long) and he was the hero of the finale when he saved Jamie.

Old Ian. Ian Sr.

That was one opener! I'm still surprised that no one on the ridge stood up for Jamie and Claire way earlier than just the handful that popped up when the fisher folk tried storming the house. Roger and Bree in the tent totally unraveled what was a really good suspenseful, solid 20+ minutes of show. I'm just not really into his 'Imma be a minister!' plot when he sat around doing nothing since he got there. Far in the future me is laughing at not so far in the future Roger and the newspaper being called the Onion though. 

I would have thought Jamie might have told one of the ridge people to tell MacDonald what is going on. 
It's also hilarious that they can't find an actual court to take Claire because, you know, the giant Revolution (even though Brown has been poisoning the well).

Mr. Christie's got to know who really did Malva the way he's been acting so cagey and genuinely nice to Claire. Not even any of the usual passive-aggressive. It's telling Allan wasn't there. 

The Mohawk rescue was 100% BAMF. So do we, uncle. 

On 5/1/2022 at 4:13 PM, Lola82 said:

With only the one scene, it's likely, although the traveler would have been in there quite a long time. I don't know what's that going to amount to. There's no Stones there in the jail for them to escape through. 

I agree ending on the whistling would have been fun. You don't need the actor there. Just play the vocal track. 

My theory that Jamie and Claire start the fire to fake their deaths is still in play. 

I would have liked a little more clue to the viewers as to who really killed Malva so we see how it plays out next season. They at least went in on Brown dgaf and just wants his pound of flesh. I know he got smacked during the stoning, but I would have liked the Committee to get more injured in it to sow some dissent among the group about whether it's worth dragging a mouthy woman across the state because Brown's brother was a sleazy rapist and finally got got for it. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1
On 5/5/2022 at 11:55 AM, taanja said:

but did the show ever show anything with the brother? He looked shady but there was never anything specific. So why did the brother kill her?

There's no other reason for the brother to exist as a character, than to be the father of the child and the murderer. No reason to cast him, costume him or pay him. He had the one early scene with Ian in order to deliver exposition about Malva and their mother (and get seen with the stolen powder horn), immediately followed by the whipping scene in order to further his grudge against the Frasers. After that he only appeared -- again and again -- in relation to Malva. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
  • Love 3

And in all those scenes he's been way way over the top.

I'll still hold out a % that Mr. Christie killed her when he found out that Allan was the father because she's not his blood, and was fine with Claire taking the fall until this episode. Seeing how Brown was just out for Claire, he sees he's being no better than them and has a change. 

Allan killing her after we see how protective he was of the coffin and how emotional he was at the murder scene made me think he didn't do it. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
1 hour ago, DoctorAtomic said:

And in all those scenes he's been way way over the top.

I'll still hold out a % that Mr. Christie killed her when he found out that Allan was the father because she's not his blood, and was fine with Claire taking the fall until this episode. Seeing how Brown was just out for Claire, he sees he's being no better than them and has a change. 

Allan killing her after we see how protective he was of the coffin and how emotional he was at the murder scene made me think he didn't do it. 

I guess for me the real issue is I don't give even half an iota of a fuck about who knocked Mulva up, nor who killed her. Good riddance to bad trash and lousy characters we didn't need to waste time with. It just hasn't been a season if good story telling for me and it has zilch to do with the shortened season. If anything it's merciful that it's over.

• Love 3

They were trash for sure. Who knocked her up and killed her is really the only narrative of the season. I'm interested in that resolution. Young Ian was more interesting from an overall series perspective because we've all watched him for so long. 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

The Mohawk rescue was 100% BAMF. So do we, uncle. 

I agree ending on the whistling would have been fun. You don't need the actor there. Just play the vocal track.

Cherokee. The Cherokee led by Chief Bird Who Sings in the Morning live close to Fraser's Ridge. The Mohawk live much farther north, in New York. Although there was one Mohawk there, if Young Ian counts.

They presumably didn't use the actor they'll ultimately use in the previous episode either, hence not showing his face.

• Love 1