Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E11: No One Here Can Love or Understand Me

Melissa finally tells Spencer what she knows regarding the night Ali disappeared. But what is Spencer supposed to do with the knowledge? Knowing something is off about Alison’s story, Emily is on the hunt for answers on her own. She enlists Ezra’s help in finding out more about Cyrus and his past connection to Alison. Meanwhile, Hanna asks Spencer and Toby for help with Caleb’s drinking problem.

Promo:

Clips:

Mr. and Mrs. Montgomery, nice to see the continued hands-off approach to dealing with the unhealthy situations and romantic relationships of your kids.  I'm equally impressed with the attempt to have one restorative "family night" to make up for neglecting the troubled Montgomery teens, especially since Byron got his fedora fixed up for the occasion.  If Byron put half the energy into his kids that he puts into his wardrobe and students, well...he'd probably still be married and Aria wouldn't (still) be screwing her high school English teacher.  

Yay Spencer (and Toby, I guess) for continuing to care about close friends and worry about their well being, even while overwhelmed by Hastings family melodrama.  Way to not be all about Spencer, Spence.  Aria could take some notes.  

I have not missed Pailey one bit, so I'm hoping that Paige's plans for the evening have to do with MonA, and that Emily finds out about it.  I love Ali's semi-smirk as she's about the take the lie detector test.  Part of me wants her to fail, because I want her nefarious deeds and ill intentions exposed, but part of me wants her to pass--not because she's telling the truth, but because she's that good of a liar.

• Love 3

I'd love it if Ali can fool a lie detector test. Maybe if they stop writing for two shows (one for Aria and one for everyone else) they could start giving us some answers. 

I like Paige, so I'm happy she's back, but I do want to know if she's still on Team Mona and Jenna.

I think Ali will pass with flying colors because she seems to be the kind of liar who purposely wills herself to believe her lies. In that sense she is fascinating.

I hate both Toby and Paige so I'm kind of sad that their exile from the show has come to an end. :( But it was fun for me while it lasted.

• Love 3

Has Spencer ever been about Spencer? lol One.minute she's grilling Jason the next minute she's trying to protect him from seeing his dead mom's body. That's moments where you see how much older Troian is from Drew. lol.

I for one am happy Paige is back but if she and Emily is getting back together I won't be shocked that she ended up joining The Anti Ali Justice League.

Don't care about Piper and NotLeo.

I get the feeling that Low budget Tom Cruise and Ali know each other. So I won't be shocked when she passes the test. Ali's vagina seems to have even more magical powers than Elena Gilbert.

Is there even a doubt that Ali will pass? Beating a lie detector test is a cliche for characters like Ali, so I totally see PLL going there. Sasha's expression in the scene suggests she will pass, because how ridiculous would Ali be if she was so confident, but failed. The show has shown failure, but it was never... risible.

I'm ok with Paige, but if Emily and Paige already get back together I will not enjoy it one bit. It might be too much to ask of this show, but could Emily not bounce from one love interest to another and back quite this fast? The show did a good job of not making her breakup with Paige about choosing Ali, but going back to Paige as soon as she was disappointed in Ali would ruin that.

• Love 1

So is this the summer finale or what? I guessing not given the lack dramatics in the promo but it's not right? Whew, this half a season flew by...I'm not pleased so little seems to have happened.

Also, according to this, the scene with Alison hooked up to the lie detector is not from the next episode. 

I don't think there's anything we don't already know in that article but you should click with caution if you're really serious about being spoiler-free.

Edited by cuddlingcrowley

Spencer asks Toby when was the last time he saw Caleb, and he casually answers, as if it ain't no thang, "Um... a couple of nights after my house blew up."

That is why I love this show, you guys. Because in Rosewood, that's not insane. In Rosewood, that's just what we call "Tuesday."

• Love 10

Remember when A drove a car through Emily's living room and we had to hear all about how she and her mom were at some crappy yukky motel? Toby's house blows up and not a word about where he, Jenna, and their parents are staying. Are we to assume they are living in the blackened rubble? Or did someone mention it and I was too distracted by Aria's outfit for the information to make it to my brain?

Heh maybe Mona got them a discount at the creepy motel where she had her A set up with all the dolls a few seasons ago.

This show really loves its Hitchcock.

I really hope they don't start bringing in supernatural stuff, because as unbelievable as shit is on it, at least it's based in reality. Kind of.

Can't they see that Tanner is playing them? Come on.

Edited by Writing Wrongs

Ahhhh...A mini finale for Rosewood...at least Someone got answers.

Hey Tanner is acting like a real cop.  Where does she think she is?  How dare she.

Someone is snitching.  I'd say snitches get stitches but that would be kinda redundant in Rosewood.

For a second there Aria Ali'd Mona then she had to go and ruin it by being....nice.

I am kinda confused....So Spencer his Bethany Young with a shovel and then Melissa burred her alive.  Hey I thought the Hastings sister never did anything together.

The word of the day is BadThought.  And Yes it is a word.  

• Love 2

In the words of Ezra from the pilot: "Holy Crap!"

I thought this episode was great.

I'm not surprised at the Spencer/shovel bit, but I am surprised at Melissa's reveal. I don't think Spencer killed Bethany, but her memory loss could be from witnessing the murder. She was traumatized so she blocked it out. That's consistent with the books... which is another indicator that we're getting the twin story.

Hanna looked less homeless tonight, a welcome change.

Caleb and Toby's moments together were nice, even if Caleb shut it down in the end. Honestly, I think they should have left Ravenswood in Ravenswood. It doesn't belong on this show, not unless they want A to be a ghost (which is a twist I actually wouldn't mind). 

I know that I'm in the minority, but I don't like Emily pining away for Paige. Paige tried to kill her. She is Emily's stalker and abuser. Sure, Paige regrets it, but all of the other creepers in this town regret their actions. Doesn't make it better. Their relationship is far more creepy than Ezria, IMO. 

I love that the girls are still anti-Ali. I love that Ali is going to talk to the police. It makes her character more delicious. I can't wait to see what she does next.

Aria... her scenes with Mona made me think she was A and made me not think she was A at the same time. Whatever she whispered to Mona was severe enough to make the HBIC cry. That's very Aish. But, it's been hinted at all along that Mona knows the identity of UberA. In the bathroom, she didn't react to Aria as if she was A.

• Love 2

Ezra had cameras in not only Aria's place but her friends place. he knew how old Aria was when he met her. Sorry but Ezra is still way more creepy than Paige ever was. And speaking of, I need him to stop trying so hard to get the girls to forgive him. Now we've seen him in scenes with Spencer and Emily and they are still weird with him I guess.

Now as for the show I'm confused, did Ali lie about Spencer hurting someone? Could her scar be from the shovel hit? The docter said her scar was old and not recent. Also I wonder if Ali paid that old lady to lie for her or did she lie to the old lady after she dug her out of the grave. Either way I'm glad to know that Melissa has always tried to protect Spencer. It seems the people who want to protect Spencer either end up dead (Garret), make a bone headed move (Toby joining MonA Team), or commit a crime (Melissa.) for her. lol

I'm not Aria's biggest fan but I hate how the show wants us to pity Mona after what she's done to the Liars. I love Mona but I don't care for her tears. This is one of the times that I'm on Aria's side.

I hope we never have to hear about Ravenswood. It seemed like Marlene was bitter about ABCFam canceling Ravenswood so she took it out on the fans who didn't watch the show by making it a think on PLL. I was glad to see Hanna tell him that he can't take care of himself. All of these kids act like they can when in the end the always do something stupid.

Oh and doesn't Toby live on top of Emily's job? Also I'm assuming his family is rich so Jenna could be staying at one of their other houses. Caleb's home is Toby's step mom's cabin apprently.

Edited by mjgchick
I know that I'm in the minority, but I don't like Emily pining away for Paige. Paige tried to kill her. She is Emily's stalker and abuser. Sure, Paige regrets it, but all of the other creepers in this town regret their actions. Doesn't make it better. Their relationship is far more creepy than Ezria, IMO.

The difference is (and this is just my opinion a case of what I tend to call first seasonitis A character does something bad the first few episodes they are on the show and six years later everyone is pointing back to that very bad thing they did the first moment they were on screen even though they spent the rest of the six season doing very good things. ) Yes Paige tried to drown Emily but what has she done since then?   Since then she has spent the show trying to protect Emily.  Her Arc has been self discovery and in discovering herself she had tried (sometimes unsuccessfully) to protect Emily.  She is not the same person she was way back when. .  My opinion of Ezra is that he hasn't changed at all.  He is the same person he was with the same behavior he has shown since the first moment.  Dating a girl in high school.   If his lies hadn't been discovered he would still be lying.  If Aria took him back he would go back in a second like nothing happened.  There is nothing about their relationship that has moved forward in the least.   There has been no character development for him at all.  There really can't be without the show acknowledging that he is dating a teenage girl.

<---Edited for clarity.  

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 5

Strangers on a Train! Yes! Love that movie!

Caleb and Hannah! And a finale for Ravenswood! Now it can just be finished. Which leads me to my new favorite crack theory...

Alison has been dead this whole time, and this is her ghost. Ghosts exist, it could totally happen! What a twist!

Spencer asks Toby when was the last time he saw Caleb, and he casually answers, as if it ain't no thang, "Um... a couple of nights after my house blew up."

That is why I love this show, you guys. Because in Rosewood, that's not insane. In Rosewood, that's just what we call "Tuesday."

I know right? Its like the other week when Aria was all "Yeah that was when my friend found a dead body in her backyard" like she was making small talk about finding a nickel on the street. Its not even worth taking the day off school for. This show is batshit crazy and I love it!

• Love 1

I wasn't a firm believer until tonight but...

RIP Melissa :(

Of course now that Ali is supposedly doing devious and suspicious things, she's not in the episode...which probably means she didn't do anything. This show...

I appreciated the cliff notes on what happened to Caleb (I watched a few episodes then...stopped) then the Ouija board and the fireflies happened and I immediately stopped caring.

I hope we never have to hear about Ravenswood. It seemed like Marlene was bitter about ABCFam canceling Ravenswood so she took it out on the fans who didn't watch the show by making it a think on PLL.

And it was a tie-in for that fucking movie.  That was worse than "Oh look, a commercial for Insidious 2!" on the Jake / Aria date. 

Which one of the Liar's had a freudian slip and referred to Ali-in-the-picture as "A"?

Tanner was totally playing them.  You'd think Spencer at least would have heard of The Prisoner's Dilemma.  I'm glad they didn't turn on each other but immediately turned on Ali.  Seriously, they should send that picture of Ali to the cops and just let the shit hit the fan. 

ETA: 

I don't think Spencer hit Bethany either.  I think Melissa saw her with the shovel, then found what she thought was a dead body.  She put two and two together and got 5.  I really hope this isn't the actual answer, that Bethany's death was unrelated to the whole thing.  One of the Liar's pointed out Bethany's clothing matched Ali's, so is the theory now that Alison set up this poor girl's murder?  If so, she did a crappy job because a) she  wasn't dead and 2) she was lying beside the grave that Ali had previously occupied.

I'm so confused.

Edited by mac123x
  • Love 3

This show makes my head hurt.

I didn't finish watching Ravenswood past the first like three episodes so I don't know what the hell is going on with the fireflies. I get it, he's all crazy. I wish they never would have made Ravenswood supernatural because if they start bringing demons over to PLL I'm going to lose my shit. It's already complicated enough as it is.

Am I supposed to be rooting for Tanner or not?

I don't think we're suppose to be rooting for any of the police until we find out they've been trying to protect the Liars.

This show has hurt my brain way more than LOST ever has at this point. I ended up asking more questions in this episode. I guess at least the episode didn't bore me?

So a few random thoughts:

Did anyone else catch the 'business and building for sale' sign at Emily's work?  I guess that is the show's way of telling us we will never see Zach again.  Glad they didn't rush that storyline or anything.

I really liked the Toby and Caleb scene, even if it was short and Toby's dialog sucked.  I know the show is meant to focus on the Lairs, but can't Caleb and Toby have a scene every episode or two where they are something other than the boyfriends.  If I remember right, Toby and Emily were actually really good friends back in season 1.

Ezra had cameras in not only Aria's place but her friends place. he knew how old Aria was when he met her. Sorry but Ezra is still way more creepy than Paige ever was. And speaking of, I need him to stop trying so hard to get the girls to forgive him. Now we've seen him in scenes with Spencer and Emily and they are still weird with him I guess.

I could be reading too much into it, but I really liked the look Emily gave Ezra at the end of their scene together.  Ezra thanked Emily for being honest with him and Emily's face just said "Yeah sure, I just needed blackmail on Ali.  I wasn't really looking to make a connection or whatever you think this is."  First, Spencer and now Emily, maybe the Lairs are finally starting to get skeeved out by a teacher dating one of their friends.

Lastly, did the Ouija board have some significance on Ravenswood or was that just straight tie in with that stupid movie?

Edited by superman1204
  • Love 1

Which one of the Liar's had a freudian slip and referred to Ali-in-the-picture as "A"?

Emily referred to Alison as A and Spencer called her on it.

Can we be done with Ravenswood now and get Caleb back to his normal self? I didn't even watch Ravenswood and I'm tired of it. This is Rosewood. Enough crazy shit goes on in this town without adding ghosts to the mix.

I wish the girls would just man up for a change and follow through with their idea to go to the cops with everything. Screw A, screw Alison, screw everything. Go to the cops with all of it and let it get sorted out.

I want to know what Aria said to Mona that had her fleeing in tears.

• Love 4
I wish the girls would just man up for a change and follow through with their idea to go to the cops with everything. Screw A, screw Alison, screw everything. Go to the cops with all of it and let it get sorted out.

That is good in theory, and it might have worked if they did that like four seasons ago but right now at least two of them are on the hook for murder.   Aria killed Shana and can't prove it was self defense without explaining a whole lot shit she really doesn't want to explain including the Jenna thing which makes her look even more guilty.  Then we have Spencer who may or may not have been the one who conked Bethany Young over the head with a shovel.  Spencer has a history of erratic behavior that can be used against her.  I am not even getting into all the shit that Hanna and Emily might and might not be connected to.  The fact of the matter is like Aria (It was Aria right) said the truth doesn't mean much when it comes from a bunch of liars.   

• Love 1

Is it just me, or is Mona playing victim as much as the liars are? It's like, she knows that the liars are mad at Ali..and she's trying to win them over even more. But on the other side, I think Mona's one of those "fine line between genius/insanity" type of people. 

First time in a long time I've liked Toby. Not for his trying to help Caleb but for his instant "WTF IS WRONG WITH YOU BRO?" when the girls wanted to ease into it. #stillabetterboyfriendtoCaleb

Speaking of..they really just should have had it as Miranda died, Caleb felt like he let Hanna down/felt guilty/felt survivors guilt. That's enough to make him wacked out, and we keep the supernatural out of PLL. (Granted, there have always been hints of it.) I thought the explanation given was even cheesy. And for Hanna to just accept it is weird. 

LOL Ali. I love that Bitch. 

What happened to Eddie Lamb? 

I mean, they could completely come clean with Tanner..but then the show would be over. 

Edited by mercfan3
  • Love 1

So, now that we know that Spencer MIGHT have killed someone, that means all of the Liars except for Hanna have murdered someone.  It's the Rosewood version of syncing up menstrual cycles.

I totally loved Mona's bird necklace.

• Love 2

Did anyone else catch the 'business and building for sale' sign at Emily's work?  I guess that is the show's way of telling us we will never see Zach again.  Glad they didn't rush that storyline or anything.

I did, too! One of my first thoughts was wondering where Toby is going to live now, since he lives above the Brew. 

Can we be done with Ravenswood now and get Caleb back to his normal self? I didn't even watch Ravenswood and I'm tired of it. This is Rosewood. Enough crazy shit goes on in this town without adding ghosts to the mix.

As someone who had to recap every freaking episode of Ravenswood, A-effing Men. If I never hear the word Ravenswood again, I can die happy.

I don't think Spencer hit Bethany either.  I think Melissa saw her with the shovel, then found what she thought was a dead body.  She put two and two together and got 5.  I really hope this isn't the actual answer, that Bethany's death was unrelated to the whole thing.  One of the Liar's pointed out Bethany's clothing matched Ali's, so is the theory now that Alison set up this poor girl's murder?  If so, she did a crappy job because a) she  wasn't dead and 2) she was lying beside the grave that Ali had previously occupied.

Agreed. I think Ali's version of the shovel story was correct. I don't know how many of her stories about that night were true, but I don't think Spencer attacked anyone. I firmly believe it was an instance of Melissa assuming the worst and trying to protect Spencer. 

I so loved the Strangers on a Train scene. That's my all-time favorite Hitchcock movie. I love when they give little shoutouts to Hitchcock. 

• Love 1

I like how none of the Liars noticed the giant video camera mounted to the left side of the wall of video displays, until it switched feeds to show all four of them.  It basically looked like someone had mounted a home video camera there. I could buy it if 'A' had hijacked a security camera, but that's not what that was (and I'm surprised no one had stolen it, because it looked pretty high end).  In this day of spycams (cough, cough, Ezra) and GoPros, why did 'A' use that huge camera ?

When Det. Tanner encountered the 3 Liars on the street, was that camera located on the ground to get that sun halo effect shot supposed to emulate the Liars point of view ?  I know Aria is short, but she's not that short.

Mermaid's Star Cafe -- I guess they couldn't get Starbucks as a sponsor </snark>

Paige was rocking that little black dress.

Aria: "Is that why you built an army ?"
Mona: "It's hard to keep the troops in line when Allison offers them candy and a smile, and that lilting little laugh."

Offers of candy, a smile, a laugh -- and don't forget Alison's magic vagina.

By the way, Mona had quite the food themed outfit at the theater -- cherry print on black blouse, with ice cream cone earrings.  Though she kind of messed up with the swallow necklace (unless that was some sort of subliminal hint to Mike .... nudge, nudge, wink, wink).

According to Aria, what happens in the powder room, stays in the powder room.  Is the powder room the new Las Vegas ?

I don't think Spencer did murder anyone. Melissa said she heard Spencer arguing with Ali, she saw Spencer going back and dragging the shovel, and then put Bethany in the hole and buried her. I didn't see any indication that Spencer hit her. (I mean, someone hit her...)

Am I supposed to be rooting for Tanner or not?

Heh. I had the exact same thought tonight. Either way, I find myself yelling, "Stop talking to the cops without your parents, ladies!" on a weekly basis. You'd think Spencer, of all of them, would be on top of that.

I'm almost convinced Tanner was bluffing about one of the girls squealing. It's straight up prisoner's dilemma. Plus, if The Closer/Major Crimes has taught me anything it's that the police lie to suspects all the time. I say "almost convinced" because Ali is such a wildcard it wouldn't shock me if snitching was part of some plan.

Theory sure to be wrong: Melissa is a goner. Spencer spent practically the whole episode saying goodbye to her.

I really want to know what Aria said to/has on Mona. I love Aria infinitely more when she's on her own and not with Ezra.

Edited by kiddo82
  • Love 2

Theory sure to be wrong: Melissa is a goner. Spencer spent practically the whole episode saying goodbye to her.

Based on the promos, I don't feel like it's Melissa. I feel like it's someone who is still in Rosewood. I can't decide who I think it is, though.

Show of hands, who was surprised that Melissa killed that girl?   ...I called it last finale.

Seems like Melissa's got one foot in her grave but I would love it if the show surprised me.

Moreso, I like that they're going down this LyingAli rabbit hole and wish they spent more of this season exploring that instead of 10 episodes of VictimAli.  

Dear show, please stop with the movie plugs, it's ridiculous.  

Did Mona tell Aria anything juicy in the bathroom?  Seriously show, I've been waiting for an updated Mona info dump!

Show of hands, who was surprised that Melissa killed that girl?   ...I called it last finale.

Seems like Melissa's got one foot in her grave but I would love it if the show surprised me.

The disturbing part is that she didn't even bother to check for a pulse BEFORE rolling Bethany's body into the hole and covering her with dirt.  And if Bethany was alive, the minute she inhaled any dust/dirt, she should have started coughing rather loudly which should have been a dead giveaway to Melissa that she wasn't dead.  But Melissa kept shoveling anyway, so I think that Melissa's flashback was heavily edited to match the story Melissa was telling on the video.

Edited by ottoDbusdriver

This is the most interesting's Ali's been since she came back and she was never on screen. They think Ali's, A. So she's not A. 

It's nice that the now homeless Cavanaugh family still lets the other homeless person in Rosewood still use their cabin when they have no where else to live. But I suppose they could've gone to Out of Town. I wish we can see what goes on that town, it seems like the place to go. 

I'm still guessing Mona is playing the Liars and it's working. She got Hanna and now Aria to kind of trust of her. I think Spencer might be next on her list. The girls can keep going to Ezra to borrow his "research" (stalker gear) then look at him like he's a creep. But that is it show. 

The Hastings are one intense family. But I also want to know how Alison and Spencer argued, Spencer left, Ali was hit on the head, buried alive by her mother, rescued by Grunwald, then Bethany Young showed up in the yard, got hit on the head, Melissa saw Spencer with the shovel, then saw Bethany who she thought was Alison and buried her alive is even possible in the normal version of time?  

I don't think going to the police will help them much. They've been involved in way too many things and A has too much on them. No one will believe them. 

I did like the Toby/Caleb scene, the girls wanted to ease into and have it cues and things and Toby just straight up asks him what's wrong. 

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 1
The Hastings are one intense family. But I also want to know how Alison and Spencer argued, Spencer left, Ali was hit on the head, buried alive by her mother, rescued by Grunwald, then Bethany Young showed up in the yard, got hit on the head, Melissa saw Spencer with the shovel, then saw Bethany who she thought was Alison and buried her alive is even possible in the normal version of time?

Assuming what Ali told Spencer when they were in New York is true, I think it was like this:

1.  Ali drugged the girls

2.  Ali had her various meetings / hookups / etc.

3.  Spencer woke up, and got the shovel.  From tonight's episode, I think this was what Melissa saw.

4.  Spencer had her confrontation with Ali, who talked her down and took her back to the  barn.  [if memory serves, Spencer was actually dragging the shovel at this point, not previously, so maybe Melissa saw her on the return trip to the barn]

5.  Ali watched the girls (including Spencer) sleep for a while, then left and got conked on the head.

6.  Mrs. D saw it, yelled "what did you do??!?!?!!?" at Ali's attacker, then buried her alive.

7.  Grunwald rescued Ali and fled the area

8.  Someone bonked Bethany on the head

9  Melissa saw Bethany, mistook her for Alison, concluded that Spencer did it, and buried her (also alive).

So unless Spencer did the shovel-drag twice, and Melissa  saw her the second time, she didn't do it.  As far as who bonked Bethany, I have no idea, because any possible suspects (Ali, NAT people)  wouldn't have just left her lying there unless they hit her then panicked and ran.

I guess Jason (or the twin)  could be the attacker both times.  Mrs D. helped cover up the first attack.  Jason (or the twin) later saw Bethany, dressed like Ali, and attacked again.  Then he/she realized it wasn't Ali, so left unconscious!Bethany lying there.

Alternaitvely, it was Tipi the bird and Pepe the dog in cahoots who orchestrated the whole thing, including having Bethany dress like Ali.

• Love 2

Wow, we actually got an answer to something, Melissa put Bethany in the grave, is this the first solid fact we've gotten?

Since they pointed at the for sale sign at the coffee shop, obviously Zach is gone, but I think someone from the show is going to buy it. I wonder if Caleb is going to come into money, or Ezra is giving up teaching? 

Since I didn't watch Ravenswood, Caleb's story was a big "don't care" to me, I don't care about fireflies, & the Ouija board thing just annoyed the hell out of me. They better not bring any supernatural stuff into this show, that's not what I watch for & I don't care about any stupid movie tie-ins.

• Love 4

Dang, Melissa is definitely a ride or die sister. I knew from the beginning that she was hinting at trying to protect Spencer. Whether or not that's true remains to be seen. If she dies next week, at least we know that she literally his a body for her sister. Someone should go pour a 40 on her soon to be grave.

How do the girls know those pictures are from when Ali visited Hanna? Since A was folding the candy striper outfit last week, I'm more inclined to believe that the twin/Vivian/Ali herself dressed in that outfit to trap the girls into staying quiet. I don't trust any pictures that just show up, considering A spent a whole 98 seasons trying to find Ali. That wouldn't have been the case if A had her in the hospital room.

I'm glad we got Ravenswood drama, just because I wasted 10 hours of my life watching it. It was rushed and contrived but I needed answers! Those fireflies at the end were a little unsettling though. Especially with the music. And the goodby on the board. No.

Again, Aria is too dumb to function. She totally got played by Mona.

• Love 4

So Melissa is willing to cover up a murder for Spencer. That is some serious sisterly love.

I love how Emily went from "Ali is a victim" to "Ali is A" in one episode. When that girl turns on you she really turns.

I love how Spencer thinks Toby is a better candidate to lead Caleb's intervention than a real sober coach. WTH Spencer - you don't even confide in Toby, why should Caleb?

When Tanner asked the girls who killed Bethany Young I thought that they actually hadn't given it much thought. Anything bad happens in Rosewood and they all just assume it's A.

I felt like the scene at the movie was odd. I almost got an Aria is A vibe from it. Weird that Paige was there, but I guess just so Aria can report back to Emily that she was on a date. Also weird that Ezra wasn't there, since he's the old movie fanatic, but he was occupied getting intel on Cyrus for Emily.

Hopefully this is the end of Ravenswood. Even though I watched that show I am not interested in Caleb's demons on PLL.

And why haven't we seen a photo of Bethany Young yet? I still don't trust that they aren't doing the twin thing.

Edited by lorikauai
  • Love 3

Stream-of-consciousness:

• Is "No one ever tells you anything when you want to know it" the new "I think I still need to be drunk to understand this story"? (Context for nonTVD fans: the latter was said by a character getting an info-dump in the middle of an increasingly dense arc on TVD, making it possibly the most meta line ever spoken on a TV show.) I was about ready to bring out the ruler and rap the writers' knuckles for that one. News flash: it doesn't make it better when you point out the flaws in your own show. DO BETTER.
  • So...up until fleeing in tears, Mona was at maybe S3 levels of ridiculous for me. I can't stand these people sitting on their hands boo-hooing about how there's nothing they can do to get rid of the PREDATOR WHO DESTROYED THEIR FAMILY. GAH. And is Aria A, or am I just imagining things?
  • Byron went to bat for his daughter, which was nice, but he was also Fedora Guy, which explains a lot. I'm not sure if they're actually trying to have Byron and Ella reconcile, but that is what it seems like.
  • I liked the Toby/Caleb bromance, not so much the supernatural elements. You can't just introduce ghosts/demons and then say "But that totally has nothing to do with the mystery here." Ravenswood was a mistake on so many levels.
  • Tanner has officially crossed over for me into negative territory.
  • I feel for Melissa, but we still don't know who hit Bethany or attacked Ali. Are we assuming they're the same person? If not, who killed Jessica?
  • Argh, I'm trying to make sense of this again, when I said I wouldn't; DigitalCount out.

What happened to Emiily? She is usually the most casually dressed but tonight she was wearing a tight dress with a keyhole neckline, thigh high white athletic socks with stripes at the top, a sweatshirt tied around her waist, and a leather jacket.

Aria, as usual, did not disappoint in the wardrobe department. A t-shirt with mountain lions and shredded sleeves and a black leather skirt with lightning bolts? And her jean jacket had some sort of tiger print on the back too. Yup, that's just another Tuesday for Aria.

Paige, on the other hand, looked hot. We usually see her covered up in hoodies and slouchy clothes with her hair pulled back in a ponytail, so it was nice to see how hot she is when she's all dolled up.

As soon as Paige said she had something else to do that night, I was afraid she was going to an A Club meeting or die. I was relieved that she was just going on a date.

I love that not only did Toby casually mention he last saw Caleb "a couple nights after [his] house blew up," but that the reason Toby saw Caleb was because he went to check on him at the cabin. Yes, Toby's house just blew up but he was just checking to see if Caleb needed anything!

I don't understand why Emily thought Ezra was the only one who could help her investigate. I would love to hear how knowing the timestamp code on the ATM somehow allowed him to obtain another picture at the same ATM showing Cyrus's face as well as his aliases and rap sheet.

So apparently Toby's police academy training includes staging interventions and counseling?

I love how Ella couldn't make it but instead of Byron letting Aria know that family night was not happening, he let Mike invite Mona (and he must have done it at least a few hours beforehand so that she had time to get her hair all done up like that). I would like to know who got dressed where too. Did Aria just have that entire outfit stashed in her bag? Because if she had gotten dressed at home (where Byron and Mike were putting on their fedoras), they would have told her that Ella wasn't coming and she would have gotten a ride with Bryon.

I really want to know what Aria whispered to Mona that was SO AWFUL she ran to the bathroom to cry. "Did you see what I was wearing today? I am going to drug you, dress you in that hideous outfit, take pictures of you wearing it, and email the photos to everyone at school."

As someone who sat through every stupid episode of Ravenswood, I'm glad that they finally addressed why Caleb has been a wreck since he got back. When he started talking about bringing the jars to the bridge, I was like wait, did I just block out the memory of what happened on that show because I don't remember that happening! Then I realized that MK was just giving us an ending to the show, which I kind of appreciate. I'm glad that Hanna believed him (or at the very least didn't say anything along the lines of "Are you sure that's what really happened?"). But the fireflies and the ouija board make me fear for Caleb's safety. Leave him alone, fireflies!

• Love 3

First of all: No more supernatural crap on PLL please. If that was what I wanted to watch, I would watch a different show. And I didn't need a Ravenswood ending. I did watch Ravenswood, but I didn't really care for it. And there are so many unanswered questions in Rosewood so they should focus on those and not spend valuable screentime on fireflys.

Emilys lovelife is also something a little annoying. It's like she can't be alone, going from girlfriend to girlfriend and back again.

I love the intensity this episode. Do they tell, do they not tell. Do they care about what happened to Ali or not.

The liars definitively can't trust Alison and I can totally understand them not caring about her story anymore, who even knows how much of it was true. But there are so many loose ends to follow up on. What about Eddie Lamb, what about that phone call Mrs. D. had the night Ali went missing (I'm assuming that was about Bethany). It always feels like they start investigation one thing and completely forget about it the next week. I would want all the answers.

My guess is Mona is the one dying next week. Would be a shame though, her character could be useful to the girls. I never really understood why they didn't get more information from her when they had the chance. I would have grilled her about every little detail. How many cameras did she put up, who helped her (I'm sure she knows more about A than she told so far), everything. If I knew how A was working, I would probably find a way to get to the source...

Tanner is not as dumb as she sometimes seemed. Should be interesting.

And one last thing. How come senior year started at the beginning of season 3 and now halfway through season 5 we're not even near christmas yet? You can't tell me 2 and a half seasons went by in a couple of months. If that was the case any normal parent probably would have moved their child far far away from Rosewood... But then again Rosewood parents never seem to be around anyway (wish I would have had that much freedom growing up lol). But it's probably safe to assume the girls won't be finished with senior year by season 10. It's a miracle they even have time to study at all.

• Love 1

The dialogue in this episode was unusually bad. Who wrote it? I especially disliked how the Liars finished each other's sentences over and over, which did nothing to elevate the exposition dump, but had the bonus of being distracting and OTT.

Melissa's line "He's been wanting me to go back since I told him what I told him in the police station the night you were gone." was clunky and talking to the audience. Since Spencer wasn't a witness to that scene, Melissa would have normally said just "that night when you were gone", like... "He's been wanting me to go back since I told him the truth the night you were gone."

In an episode where the Liars echoed so much of what we've been saying, a new "but wait" is already introduced: "But wait, since Melissa thought Bethany was dead, that means someone else meant to kill her. And she was already dressed as Ali and placed near the hole. Melissa literally just shoved her in, which solves the least relevant aspect of that mystery." Actually, it's not just the least relevant, it's also an answer to a question that didn't even exist. This reveal just introduced an extra person in the events: Melissa didn't help dress Bethany as Ali, didn't attack her, wasn't even aware of the switch, just buried her. Gee, thanks for nothing, show! IMO this development is so unnecessary that it's only meant for Spencer's dilemma now, and possibly as future blackmail material (certainly it will help pad some of those 2 seasons the show got >.>)

I also appreciated the intent behind the Toby-Caleb scene, but thought was poorly executed all around, both the actual scene and the Spencer-Toby chat afterwards. Could not give less fucks about the Ravenswood reveal, the fireflies, and especially the last shot which should be saved for the A tag, bitches! And that better not have been an A tag, show!

Aria is so stupid to fall for Mona's act; it was so obvious. Even more obvious than Tanner's "One of them is talking to me tomorrow, just thought you should know." fake-out delivered to Byron of all people, or the fact that we got what seems to be a message from Ali delivered via a classic A method and with the fan-favorite "Act normal, bitches!" line.

Things I liked: the scene of Spencer watching the video, her reflection in the screen, the switch to her standing in front of Melissa, the fact that she didn't speak back, just later when facing the laptop; Spencer curling up with those boots when she drank her decaf with Emily; Troian in general saved this episode for me.

Edited by Crim

What happened to Emiily? She is usually the most casually dressed but tonight she was wearing a tight dress with a keyhole neckline, thigh high white athletic socks with stripes at the top, a sweatshirt tied around her waist, and a leather jacket.

Oh yes, sadly Emily gets the award for worst dressed by far.  And we didnt even see the shoes she had on!