Type keyword(s) to search

S20.E10: Top 24 at Disney's Aulani Resort in Hawaii (1)

• Start Topic

The Good, the Bad, the Ugly.  I know, it sounds mean, especially because some of these people are teenagers.

The Good:

The mentor Jimmie Allen.  He was wonderful.  I just wish that he told Jay Copeland that he chose absolutely the WRONG song.  What a terrible song choice for him, and maybe for anyone right now.

Tristen - The Beatles, With a Little Help from my Friends.  He reminded me of Jack Black which is the highest compliment that I can give.

Emyrson - Miley Cyrus, Angels Like You.  Her voice reminds me of someone who already exists - maybe Billie Eilish?  But I like her voice better than hers or someone like Halsey's or whoever.  I don't know.  Does anyone know who she sounds like?

Nicolina - Elastic Heart by Sia - I mean she's always good.  No surprise.  I don't think that song, which is already so powerful, like every single Sia song, needs that much extra power put on it though.  Unnecessary.  

Sage - (Who is this?) Dolly Parton, Jolene.  That was good but they've never shown her before.  They're clearly sabotaging her.

Elli Rowe (Who is this?) - Fleetwood Mac, Everywhere.  Katy said exactly what I was thinking.  This transported me somewhere.  I wasn't knocked out, but I was certainly floating away to another place.  Not sure how I feel about that.

Mike - Best Shot by Jimmie Allen.  First of all he's hot.  I don't know what else to say.  It's not really my type of song but he was good at it.

Jacob - Something something by Shawn Mendes.  Honey, the song choice?  I'm a fan of Jacob's but my main critique is his choices are way way too personal.  Is anyone else going to care?

The Bad:

Jay Copeland - it pains me so much to say it, because I'm a fan of his.  But wrong song choice.  So cliched and so wrong, wrong, wrong. Why why why.  Someone should have talked him out of it, or else what is the mentoring for?

Scarlett - Levitating by Dua Lipa.  Girl, don't pick a song like this for a singing competition!  You are killing me!

The Ugly:

Danielle absolutely butchered Your Song by Elton John.  He deserves an apology.  I know, that's mean, she's 17 I think, but oh my god.  Unlistenable!

The show forcing all these young girls into bikinis for stupid Hawaii shots.  Disgusting.  I'm so glad Jacob talked about body image and refused to play into their wicked games.

I just don't care:

Dan singing Heaven by Bryan Adams.  Nobody's going to like me saying this but the fact that this kid made the top 24 is racism pure and simple.  There's no need for another white male country singer in this top 24 and you don't have to elevate the absolute mediocre to fit that quota.

Huntergirl singing Rascal Flatts.  Yeah, she's good at what she does, but this isn't my music, so I don't feel qualified to care or comment.  Good for her though.  Better than some of her other performances.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 8
16 minutes ago, LennieBriscoe said:

Still love Tristen!

My mom thinks he should be fronting a band. I can see that. I think he's definitely got a confident stage presence that came through well tonight, and I liked the bit of scatting he did during the song.

It was really nice to see Jimmie Allen as the mentor tonight. I loved him as a contestant on the most recent season of "Dancing with the Stars", and I thought he was a really good help to the contestants tonight, very supportive and sweet and encouraging. The segment with him and Mike, who did one of his songs, was particularly touching and nice. I like that he got to see how inspirational he was to one of the contestants. 

I guess I totally forgot, too, that he auditioned for "Idol" years ago. 

I agree with the judges a bit on Dan, in that he could've utilized the stage a little more. But honestly, his performance had me wondering how there wasn't a country version of "Heaven" that was a big hit already, at least, not that I'm aware of, anyway, 'cause it really does fit as a country song. I could see Dan having a radio hit with that cover, easy. 

Danielle's take on "Your Song" was kind of a mixed bag for me. I kinda liked the Carole King-ish vibe of her voice, I could see that style working for that song, but I also felt she focused more on drawing out the lyrics than the emotion of them. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
20 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Dan singing Heaven by Bryan Adams.  Nobody's going to like me saying this but the fact that this kid made the top 24 is racism pure and simple. 

Racism?  Oh come on.   Let's not make every frigging thing about race.

He wasn't good.  And it wasn't a race thing.

• Love 5

He was never good enough to make it to the top 24.  There were so many people who could have made it instead of him.  They wanted to fill a white guy singing country quota which is why they pit him against another person in that same demographic in the last episode.

He certainly didn't make the Top 24 based on talent.

8 minutes ago, Suzysite said:

Racism?  Oh come on.   Let's not make every frigging thing about race.

I made at least 14 different points and none of them were about race except one.  

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 5

I thought Jimmie Allen was a very good mentor. 👍

I also find it amusing that, after so many WGWG seasons, now the performers are being told to put down the gee-tar! 🤠

Nicolina is fab! A true powerhouse vocal! 👏👏

From the preview snippet: Looks like Kenedi will be going full-on Debbie Harry. 

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

The mentor Jimmie Allen.  He was wonderful.  

Jimmie Allen is such a sweet person.

Tristen - The Beatles, With a Little Help from my Friends.  

I like him, but there is not one humble bone in his body. I'm afraid America might not vote for him because of his cockiness.

Scarlett - Levitating by Dua Lipa.  Girl, don't pick a song like this for a singing competition!  You are killing me!

I hate that song but I really liked Scarlet's version. I thought she did great!

Danielle absolutely butchered Your Song by Elton John.  He deserves an apology.  I know, that's mean, she's 17 I think, but oh my god.  Unlistenable!

Why is she even there?! The judges didn't even like her on Showstopper round. She's the one that took the spot from someone more deserving!

• Love 4

GO Nicolina!  Rooting for her from her home town!  Glad she dressed so nicely tonight and her hair worn u was a nice change.  She sings beautifully and has such a range.  

Dan has to leave the island!  

I think the contestants who sang indoors had better sound than the ones outdoors.  

Is it just me or does anyone else notice how Katy and Luke and always looking at each other leaving Lionel out on his own.  Katy only looks at Lionel when he is speaking.   I think Katy dominates both of them.  The judges provide weak feedback and It will get less and less each episode.  

• LOL 2
  • Love 2

The judges are kind of a moot point now anyway.  They're not interested in providing feedback that will get the contestants the most votes - they're only there to further whatever agenda the producers have in mind.  

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 5
10 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

He was never good enough to make it to the top 24.  There were so many people who could have made it instead of him.  They wanted to fill a white guy singing country quota which is why they pit him against another person in that same demographic in the last episode.

He certainly didn't make the Top 24 based on talent.

I made at least 14 different points and none of them were about race except one.  

Oh please. Good grief.

I'm very Pollyanna about this show so I just really like everyone even when I don't particularly care for what/how they sing lol.

That being said though, I hope the 2 that go from this episode are Danielle and Dan. I truly do not understand how Dan even made it to Top 24. I also wouldn't mind it being Jay or Scarett since they were both pretty bad last night. I wanna like Jay but I just never do lol. I also wanna like Mike because his voice is awesome and, as @Ms Blue Jay pointed out, he's hot, but he's decided to just go full country so I will likely never like his song choices.

• Love 7

Wow - such an unimpressive night. Such a shame after last season's great talent.

I do not like country music at all - and there was just way too much country last night, and mediocre country to boot!

I hope that Idol does away with the "Platinum" ticket next season.  The two "platinum" ticket holders don't have talent that rises above the others. I feel for these contestants as they don't seem to be living up to the hype that these foolish judges put on them. 

• Love 7
14 hours ago, LennieBriscoe said:

Still love Tristen!

Tristen gave me baby Adam Lambert vibes. He’s the one who I can’t take my eyes off of when he’s performing and can’t wait to see what he’s going to do next. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 7

I’ve only watched this season sporadically so far but watched about 3/4 of last night’s show and after every performance I kept thinking they must be saving the good people for later. Ooph. None of these people were very impressive at all. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

I gave almost everyone votes last night. The exception: Dan. I love Bryan Adams and that song, but Dan was terrible, especially the ending, yikes. I agree that he was only put through to be the 'compare and contrast' with Noah, who is (imo) clearly a much better singer, and that's coming from a non-country fan. 

Jacob and Nicolina were the only 2 whose performances got my attention. Off-topic, but Jacob and Scarlett both have great dimples.

I have mixed feelings about Tristen. I appreciate that anyone is still singing rock, but I would be curious to hear him just sing something. I assume all the stage activity and full band is covering up a non descript voice. Also, he's taking all of this wayyy too seriously.

• Love 3
20 minutes ago, sempervivum said:

I gave almost everyone votes last night. The exception: Dan. I love Bryan Adams and that song, but Dan was terrible, especially the ending, yikes. I agree that he was only put through to be the 'compare and contrast' with Noah, who is (imo) clearly a much better singer, and that's coming from a non-country fan. 

Jacob and Nicolina were the only 2 whose performances got my attention. Off-topic, but Jacob and Scarlett both have great dimples.

I have mixed feelings about Tristen. I appreciate that anyone is still singing rock, but I would be curious to hear him just sing something. I assume all the stage activity and full band is covering up a non descript voice. Also, he's taking all of this wayyy too seriously.

"Too seriously"?! His future career?! This isn't  a game show like "The Price is Right" or something to him, I don't think. 

I think one can hear Tristen's voice quite clearly during his audition. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
14 hours ago, Annber03 said:

I guess I totally forgot, too, that he auditioned for "Idol" years ago. 

I might be forced to turn in my American Idol fan/trivia badge because I do not remember Jimmie Allen ever auditioning for Idol. I know Colbie Caillat was turned down, and Maren Morris, and Hilary Scott from Lady Antebellum, but I don't remember Jimmie Allen at all. When was that? 

• Love 1

Facebook stats from earlier today.   In the past several years it has been a good way to tell who is in danger of getting eliminated & who could go far in the competition probably because FB used to be a way to vote for Idol.

1. Nicolina (3.8k likes, 576 comments, 282 shares)

2. Tristen (3.3k likes, 583 comments, 352 shares)

3. Hunter (3.1k comments, 366 comments, 269 shares)

4. Emyrson (1.7k likes, 223 comments, 157 shares)

5. Jacob (1.6k likes, 222 comments, 211 shares) 

6. Mike (1.4k likes, 212 comments, 112 shares)

7. Jay (1.4k likes, 196 comments, 330 shares)

8. Sage (1.2k likes, 95 comments, 70 shares)

9. Elli (1.1k likes, 126 comments, 108 shares)

10. Dan (880 likes, 108 comments, 57 shares)

11. Scarlet (847 likes, 151 comments, 151 shares)

12. Danielle (746 likes, 91 comments, 24 shares)

• Useful 3
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, LexieLily said:

I might be forced to turn in my American Idol fan/trivia badge because I do not remember Jimmie Allen ever auditioning for Idol. I know Colbie Caillat was turned down, and Maren Morris, and Hilary Scott from Lady Antebellum, but I don't remember Jimmie Allen at all. When was that? 

I have a blank spot in the middle of my Idol trivia brain too, but that's cause I stopped watching a few years before the Fox version ended and I think he was on one of those seasons. I was much more alarmed at not remembering people from like, season 4, because I was still rabidly addicted to the show then.

I watched Jimmie on DWTS last season though and he seems like the nicest guy. I thought it was a little funny when he admitted that he was like "eh, whatever" at the start of that one girl's song, of course he had many compliments later, but I totally agreed that the beginning of that song was blah. 

I like [Tristen], but there is not one humble bone in his body. I'm afraid America might not vote for him because of his cockiness.

I don't know, Tristen seems fragile to me. People with outsized personalities who go out of their way to be different are often made of glass on the inside and people just don't realize it because they seem like they're comfortable with themselves. There's a look in Tristen's eyes when the feedback seems like it might not be great that always makes me nervous for him. He does have a good voice, but the affected stage presence and goofy outfits are a detraction for me. 

I wasn't really blown away by anyone, I guess Nicolina and Jacob might have been my top 2. Jay hasn't impressed me yet, I think it's his song choices and the way he chooses to perform them. I could easily lose Dan, Scarlett, Sage, Danielle. 

• Love 7

So what's it like on the Tristen train? I'm thinking of reserving my ticket. He was good last night and especially impressed me in the Duets challenge a couple of weeks ago, where he guided his partner (Cameron) who had much less musical training than he did. Underneath all Tristen's antics, there's a really good musician and a good voice. Also, he wants this desperately. I don't see him as cocky so much as he is really, really focused on the prize. Music has probably been his whole life so far, and when he gets a compliment from the judges, you can see tears starting to form in his eyes because it means something for him to be recognized. I don't know what his chances are of winning, but I hope that he goes far and that his exposure helps him in some way.

• Useful 2
  • Love 7
5 hours ago, YNWA said:

I hope that Idol does away with the "Platinum" ticket next season.  The two "platinum" ticket holders don't have talent that rises above the others. I feel for these contestants as they don't seem to be living up to the hype that these foolish judges put on them. 

That's true, they were both not the best last night that's for sure.

• Love 2

Also on the Tristen train, but I'm a rock fan, not a country one, so maybe that's part of it? Also really like Nicolina. I enjoyed Emyrson, Sage, and Elli, but wasn't overly moved by them. Like if they get eliminated, eh.

So do they announce the results in tonight's show, or is it not until next week?

• Useful 1
3 hours ago, TheMediumBopper said:

Music has probably been his whole life so far ...

This reminded me of when he made the Top 24 and his mom acted like he'd been struggling for years trying to be a musician. He's 17 lol! Also, count me as a Tristen fan, but again I basically like all these people.

33 minutes ago, MarylandGirl said:

So do they announce the results in tonight's show, or is it not until next week?

Next week.

• Love 2
11 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

This reminded me of when he made the Top 24 and his mom acted like he'd been struggling for years trying to be a musician. He's 17 lol! Also, count me as a Tristen fan, but again I basically like all these people.

I know. I keep forgetting he's 17 because he seems like he's much older. An old soul.

I also like Cameron, but for different reasons... I like that he's so raw and untrained but just has this voice that comes out of nowhere. I really never have any idea what his performances will be like, and I look forward to seeing if he sinks or swims tonight. 

• Love 2
On 4/10/2022 at 8:19 PM, Foghorn Leghorn said:

Is it just me or does anyone else notice how Katy and Luke and always looking at each other leaving Lionel out on his own.  Katy only looks at Lionel when he is speaking.   I think Katy dominates both of them.  The judges provide weak feedback and It will get less and less each episode.  

I figure she doesn't look much at Lionel because she can't dominate him, but Luke she walks all over. In our household, we joke that Luke looks at her or waits for her to speak before he voices an opinion, but this episode he spoke up and actually said stuff. A nice change of pace.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, ForReal said:

I figure she doesn't look much at Lionel because she can't dominate him, but Luke she walks all over. In our household, we joke that Luke looks at her or waits for her to speak before he voices an opinion, but this episode he spoke up and actually said stuff. A nice change of pace.

I notice Lionel rarely looks at the other two either.  Luke looks over a lot!

I think she's paid $25 million to be on this show, so of course she has to sit in the middle, so it makes sense that it seems like L & L are both looking at her.

I wonder what the Lionel and Luke are paid.  Lionel has been around for a loooonnng time.  I hope he gets the same if not more.  Lionel doesn’t seem interested in side glancing the other two. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
23 hours ago, twilightzone said:

Facebook stats from earlier today.   In the past several years it has been a good way to tell who is in danger of getting eliminated & who could go far in the competition probably because FB used to be a way to vote for Idol.

1. Nicolina (3.8k likes, 576 comments, 282 shares)

2. Tristen (3.3k likes, 583 comments, 352 shares)

3. Hunter (3.1k comments, 366 comments, 269 shares)

4. Emyrson (1.7k likes, 223 comments, 157 shares)

5. Jacob (1.6k likes, 222 comments, 211 shares) 

6. Mike (1.4k likes, 212 comments, 112 shares)

7. Jay (1.4k likes, 196 comments, 330 shares)

8. Sage (1.2k likes, 95 comments, 70 shares)

9. Elli (1.1k likes, 126 comments, 108 shares)

10. Dan (880 likes, 108 comments, 57 shares)

11. Scarlet (847 likes, 151 comments, 151 shares)

12. Danielle (746 likes, 91 comments, 24 shares)

So glad to see Nicolina on top! That girl slays - she hasn't had a misstep yet. I have really loved all of her song choices and this was no exception. She looked fantastic - loved the glossy high pony tail on her!

I also love Tristen. I can't help it. Is he cheese supreme? Absolutely. I am here for it!

Also really loved Mike, Ellie and Sage. I don't remember Sage from any point prior to this, but she seems interesting and sounds good so I'm intrigued. I hope Ellie's lack of screen time and quiet personality doesn't sabotage her - she has such a lovely musical tone to her voice, and her ability to play several instruments might produce some interesting song choices and arrangements. Transported indeed. I am happy to see Mike ahead of platinum boy Jay - I like his voice better, and although both are handsome, I think Mike has a maturity that Jay does not. Speaking of.....

I do not understand all of the fawning over Jay and Hunter. They are good, but so bland. Both picked boring songs and sounded like they were just singing good karaoke. Nothing original happening there, but I do acknowledge that Hunter is probably primed to be the most successful post-Idol, so I understand them backing her. She just does nothing for me, and the spider eyelashes are distracting. I hope she gets a make under soon.

Jacob and Emyrson sound good, but just do nothing for me. Although Jacob is a tenor, I get tired of all the falsetto. Even Sam Smith doesn't do that.

I fast forwarded through Danielle, Dan and Scarlet. I cannot stand any of them. I gave them each about 15-20 seconds and then hit the button. Just no. Dan is so bland his name should be vanilla, and the two girls, gah - my ears! Personally I hope the Scarlet and Dan go.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Foghorn Leghorn said:

I wonder what the Lionel and Luke are paid.  Lionel has been around for a loooonnng time.  I hope he gets the same if not more.  Lionel doesn’t seem interested in side glancing the other two. 

So, yes it is Katy Perry who is the highest-paid judge of American Idol, earning a salary of $25 Million.

Lionel Richie comes next in line with being paid $10 Million as a judge on American Idol.

The least paid judge of American Idol 2022 is Luke Bryan who makes $7 Million from judging the show.

https://www.thetealmango.com/entertainment/american-idol-2022-judges-salaries-is-it-really-25-million-every-season/#:~:text=Lionel Richie comes next in,Million from judging the show.

It seems like Luke and Katy are pretty close.  It even seems like Luke is close friends with Orlando Bloom, Katy's husband/partner.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 4/11/2022 at 10:41 AM, Koalagirl said:

Tristen gave me baby Adam Lambert vibes. He’s the one who I can’t take my eyes off of when he’s performing and can’t wait to see what he’s going to do next. 

Tristen gives me Constantine Mouralis vibes.

Correction - Constantine Maroulis.  I had the right letters, but in the wrong order.

Edited by tinkerbell
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 6
4 hours ago, Ilovepie said:

I do not understand all of the fawning over Jay and Hunter. They are good, but so bland. Both picked boring songs and sounded like they were just singing good karaoke. Nothing original happening there, but I do acknowledge that Hunter is probably primed to be the most successful post-Idol, so I understand them backing her. She just does nothing for me, and the spider eyelashes are distracting. I hope she gets a make under soon.

I was like, 'Who the hell is Hunter?' and then I got to the 'spider eyelashes' and it clicked lol.

• LOL 3

Elli and Nicolina were the best ones on this episode. Elli definitely has potential here if that wasn't just a one-off good performance. She reminds me a bit of Maddie Poppe, someone who had more ethereal vocals that were beautiful without ever going for glory notes (despite her voice being easily capable of them). Jay was just okay this time. The country guy (was that Dan?) was terrible, but we already knew that. I'm glad they took away his prop, it makes it more obvious his vocal is very poor. The whole show needs to ban instruments for the contestants, imo, because it only helps bad singers go farther than they should (and often win).

I like Jimmie Allen as advisor and enjoyed his performance.

Edited by TheGreenKnight
  • Love 2